Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 16, 2009 5:34 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yay it's out i predict to see even more Hina! cant wait for download =D
May 16, 2009 8:04 AM

Jan 2008
I just saw the episode raw... pretty good, this is were nishizawa and hinagiku started to get along with each other.
May 16, 2009 10:07 AM

Jan 2008
This marks the beginning of the (bitter?)sweet friendship between Ayumu and Hina. Those two are my favorites to boot. I was satisfied with this episode. Here's hoping they can keep on improving throughout the season and find a good balance between following the manga and adding some original stuff.

PS. Up to date timeline for anyone still interested (manga spoiler-free as usual).
May 16, 2009 11:18 AM

Jul 2008
k just saw it =D
great episode , had to lol at the beginning of the episode with Nagi trying to prepare some tea lolz
btw anyone noticed a ufo in the kitchen's mess?
As usual the narrator is doing his job indeed =D

Spawwvy said:
This marks the beginning of the (bitter?)sweet friendship between Ayumu and Hina. Those two are my favorites to boot.
PS. Up to date timeline for anyone still interested (manga spoiler-free as usual).

gatta thank you again for your hard work , dunt worry ill be needing that link =D

hmm but why is Hina one of ur favs to boot? i mean Ayumu i understand but why Hina?~
ClearSinzMay 16, 2009 11:57 AM
May 16, 2009 11:35 AM

Jan 2008
ClearSinz said:

hmm but why is Hina one of ur favs to boot? i man Ayumu i understand bt why Hina?~

Are we on the same page with the usage of this verb? :)
From dictionary.com - Idiom: to boot, in addition; besides: We received an extra week's pay to boot.
Maybe I should stop using words and phrases that might be easily misunderstood.

ClearSinz said:

Yeah, I noticed it. Just checked and it is there in the source material as well. At first I had other things in mind about what it could be referring to/hinting at, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
May 16, 2009 11:56 AM

Jul 2008
Spawwvy said:
ClearSinz said:

hmm but why is Hina one of ur favs to boot? i man Ayumu i understand bt why Hina?~

Are we on the same page with the usage of this verb? :)
From dictionary.com - Idiom: to boot, in addition; besides: We received an extra week's pay to boot.
Maybe I should stop using words and phrases that might be easily misunderstood.

ClearSinz said:

Yeah, I noticed it. Just checked and it is there in the source material as well. At first I had other things in mind about what it could be referring to/hinting at, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

o lolz the idiom lolz stupid me i thought u were using it as the verb to boot; as in to kick out or w.e something like that

o so the random ufo has no role XD
May 16, 2009 4:39 PM

Sep 2008
That better not be cow's milk that they are feeding to the cat. >=[
It was a fun episode though, not really looking forward to Nagi again...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2009 5:41 PM

May 2008
LOL its funny when Nishizawa was telling her "exciting" backstory ,haha back to the mansion for hayate hehe

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 16, 2009 6:27 PM

Apr 2008
lmao xD Nishizawa chasing the baked yam cart LOL

May 16, 2009 9:24 PM

Feb 2008
HawthorneKitty said:

And that's the problem HnG, the anime, has rapidly devolved into just another shoujo anime.
May 16, 2009 9:53 PM

Jul 2008
everyone is getting pissed at them for acting like that, lol! and then the ultimate question-"which girl does he want to bath with?" there is no right answer to that one! or at least a safe one
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 16, 2009 9:56 PM

Apr 2008
chinaboat said:
HawthorneKitty said:

And that's the problem HnG, the anime, has rapidly devolved into just another shoujo anime.

wat. hayate is anything but a shoujo anime.

anyways, love this episode, and hopefully the filler episodes between this and the next hina-centric arc are good.

May 16, 2009 10:00 PM
Mar 2009
the ufo cracked me up and how does someone not notice a cat peeing on u? kittens have to be fed every 3 hrs??? i dont want one then.... but hayate is mentally blind.... i mean he comes out at the wrong times with the wrong things to say

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
May 16, 2009 11:28 PM

Nov 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
That better not be cow's milk that they are feeding to the cat. >=[

It's not if they are following the manga properly, since in it, Hayate mentions that he had to buy special milk.

Anyway, great to see this animated, just a couple episodes more, and I'll enter the unexplored part of the manga. The Shiranui episode will be funny as hell, I'm sure of it.
May 17, 2009 12:57 AM

Feb 2008
haha its funny how even the plant got jealous of them.
May 17, 2009 3:03 AM

Jan 2009
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨
May 17, 2009 4:06 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ah, Hina. What are you doing?

Nice episode again.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 17, 2009 4:10 AM

Feb 2008
Good episode. Hina~ <3

RolexiH said:
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Haha yeah, that. ⑨+Ice FTW XD
May 17, 2009 8:43 AM

Jan 2009
Wow at last some Ayumu. Many great moments Maria & Hayate at elevator + Hina and Ayumu meeting. Great episode
May 17, 2009 10:40 AM

Apr 2009
Can't wait for Tama vs. Shiranui.
May 17, 2009 3:03 PM

Aug 2008
I think this might have been the worst episode so far. It was so boring, and I just don't really care for Hina or Ayumu that much. But it was interesting that Hina didn't know about Hayate's circumstances. I thought she knew, but I guess not.

It's such a shame that Norio Wakamoto has been downgraded to a simple narrator now. And to top it all off, I see a glimpse of Tama, but nothing from him.
May 17, 2009 3:05 PM

Aug 2008
This episode has a lot of great moments. Not to mention, a lot of embarrassing ones too.

May 17, 2009 4:40 PM

May 2007
noteDhero said:
I think this might have been the worst episode so far. It was so boring, and I just don't really care for Hina or Ayumu that much. But it was interesting that Hina didn't know about Hayate's circumstances. I thought she knew, but I guess not.

It's not that I didn't care for the episode, its more of the fact that the two characters I wouldn't mind see paired up with Hayate - Maria and Hinagiku - have resolved themselves to stay in the background. Hina needs to start acting selfishly for once here. Seeing the purple haired chick and Nagi kind of annoy me at times.

And I also agree with your assessment on the narrator. It's a shame his role isn't as prominent as it was in the first season.
May 17, 2009 4:58 PM

Mar 2009
vindemon64 said:

It's not that I didn't care for the episode, its more of the fact that the two characters I wouldn't mind see paired up with Hayate - Maria and Hinagiku - have resolved themselves to stay in the background.

Totally my words, though I felt a glipse of hope when Hina thought "Maybe he's carrying the same pain as I am..." so I still think there is hope for HayatexHina. It also seems like Hayate likes both Hina and Maria more than Nagi and Ayumu
May 17, 2009 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
That's how I feel also, only less so for Hina. What pain could she be possibly hiding? She must be adopted, because otherwise she's just being melodramatic.

I want an all Maria episode!
May 17, 2009 5:53 PM
Jul 2008
Wee love triangle moment. Wonder what happened to Hinagiku to say that Hayate and her are similar.
May 17, 2009 7:05 PM

Jul 2008
noteDhero said:
That's how I feel also, only less so for Hina. What pain could she be possibly hiding? She must be adopted, because otherwise she's just being melodramatic.

I want an all Maria episode!

Quickfox said:
Wee love triangle moment. Wonder what happened to Hinagiku to say that Hayate and her are similar.

thats only involving Ayumu and Hina there are still some other characters who love/like Hayate i believe <_<
May 17, 2009 7:27 PM
May 17, 2009 7:33 PM

Apr 2008
The "added commentary" contributed the awesomeness of this episode.
May 17, 2009 8:00 PM

Aug 2008
Okay the romantic octagon is getting a little old now. I'm missing the hijinks of Hayate. Hopefully, it comes back.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
May 17, 2009 8:52 PM

Sep 2008
1st Scene Thoughts: Where's Klaus?, isn't he supposed to be a butler as well?
2nd Scene: Maria likes teasing, she gets another check mark on my 'attractive' rating for that ^_^

with bells on.. leads me to think of Eureka, where the reply was '.. not just bells, right?' Really a bad thought for this show

First people, then animals (birds), then even the plant gets annoyed at their 'flirting' XD

He's stuttering when he thinks of sharing a bath with Hinagiku, Nishizawa or Maria, but gives an immediate answer when thinking of the teacher

Did they ever actually eat the meal they prepared?

Sure took Hina a while to start to consider about being 'left to their own devices' with Hayate, especially after what conclusion she jumped to after the elevator scene.

The weakness thing explains why he likes Hina and Maria.. not quite sure what he likes about Nishizawa yet though. Mature, reliable, pretty and kind, describes the first two pretty well.

Did Hina really not know about Hayate's past until this 'episode'? Is she supposed to appear 'out of the loop'?

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

May 17, 2009 9:20 PM

Jul 2008
Ugh, this show is straying farther and farther away from the comedy aspects to becoming a full blown harem romance. It's pretty obvious that Hayate will end up with Nagi when it comes to an end, so I find it pretty fucking pointless to have all these romantic situations with the other girls when they could be concentrating more on the main couple or adding more comedy.
May 17, 2009 10:10 PM

Aug 2008
So Hina and her sister are orphans? I knew even that without having read the manga.

Spawwvy said:

Oh wow, if that's true than the script writers really took their liberties in season 1's plot.
And also, the one currently airing seems to fill mostly everything, in chronological order, all of the content skipped/omitted from S1.
Hah, then there won't be any expectations for a fourth ("third") season any time soon, assuming the current one will last 20+.
May 17, 2009 11:32 PM

Jul 2007
So much Hina-ness~
Nishizawa just had to come in and ruin the atmosphere lol
May 18, 2009 3:58 AM

Jan 2008
Genix said:
Spawwvy said:

Oh wow, if that's true than the script writers really took their liberties in season 1's plot.
And also, the one currently airing seems to fill mostly everything, in chronological order, all of the content skipped/omitted from S1.

Yes, it's accurate to the point I was able to gather the data. I might have overlooked some chapters that were only briefly referenced.

Genix said:
Hah, then there won't be any expectations for a fourth ("third") season any time soon, assuming the current one will last 20+.

At the moment, there are 223 published chapters in total, of which a bit less than 100 have been used in the anime. Assuming they keep the current pace of animating 3,5 chapters per episode, don't revisit the already used chapters and don't include any anime original episodes, they'll have enough material for 37 more episodes.

During those 37 weeks it takes those episodes to air, the manga will probably proceed at least another 35 chapters, which could in turn be animated to another 10 episodes. 7 aired episodes + 47 potential episodes is more than enough for a 52-episode season.

Of course, this is all theory and speculation. We don't know how many episodes are planned, but the point is that the possibility for a 52-episode season or two separate 26-episode seasons exists. After that, the source material up to that date will have been pretty much used up, though.

TL;DR - There's potentially enough material for this season to last up to 52 episodes, or 26 episodes now and 26 more in a third season later.
May 18, 2009 11:25 AM

Jan 2009
Defiance said:
Ugh, this show is straying farther and farther away from the comedy aspects to becoming a full blown harem romance. It's pretty obvious that Hayate will end up with Nagi when it comes to an end, so I find it pretty fucking pointless to have all these romantic situations with the other girls when they could be concentrating more on the main couple or adding more comedy.

Actually, it's getting increasingly unlikely that Hayate will end up with Nagi. We're currently at raw chapter 224, and the mangaka has officially stated that

1) This story WILL have a conclusion

2) Hina and Maria are in striking distance

3) The mangaka IS following the popularity polls (where Hina absolutely crushes the opposition, she usually gets almost the same number of votes than places 2-4 combined)

Based on the developments (and for Nagi, non-developments) up to the latest chapter, I consider it more and more likely that Hina has a very realistic shot to "win".
Here's some screenshots from the latest chapter 224 as a teaser ;)

Anyway, HnG has both romance/character-development chapters AND wacky hijinks. Season 1 completely shut out the romance/character-development episodes past the middle and only went for the crazy fillers. Now J.C.Staff is cleaning up what was left behind - and that, in my opinion, is much more interesting and enjoyable than the constant craziness. It simply has more lasting power.
May 18, 2009 11:30 AM

Aug 2008
I just don't think that a run of the mill harem has any lasting power. I think the only thing notable about HnG is crazy comedy, and dare I say Commedia dell'arte aspect of the presentation.
May 18, 2009 11:37 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
I just don't think that a run of the mill harem has any lasting power. I think the only thing notable about HnG is crazy comedy, and dare I say Commedia dell'arte aspect of the presentation.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but for me it's the opposite. Don't you remember the end of season 1 with all the Butler Battle chaff and the likes? Where most of the manga fans were seething of anger since they were denied the character development chapters, and instead got fed crazy nonsense that had gotten so old over time?

Instead we have some proper storyline and character development going on here. What happened in episode x still matters in episode x+1 and x+2. If you want craziness, go rewatch S1 episodes 20+. You'll have forgottn most of the jokes by now. I sure had, when I tried 3 random eps. That's about as "lasting" as these fillers were.
May 18, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2008
Mentar said:
3) The mangaka IS following the popularity polls (where Hina absolutely crushes the opposition, she usually gets almost the same number of votes than places 2-4 combined)
If that's the case, I'm probably going to drop this anime. If the mangaka is so much of a sellout to change the main pair for popularity reasons then he doesn't deserve any praise from me.

If I wanted to sit and wonder who the main character would end up with I'd watch one of those stupid-ass harem eroge animes.
May 18, 2009 11:50 AM

Jan 2009
Defiance said:
Mentar said:
If that's the case, I'm probably going to drop this anime. If the mangaka is so much of a sellout to change the main pair for popularity reasons then he doesn't deserve any praise from me.

You do realize you're not making much sense, do you? Just in your note before you said that you didn't want romance anyway since it was clear that Hayate would end up with Nagi. Now what?

If I wanted to sit and wonder who the main character would end up with I'd watch one of those stupid-ass harem eroge animes.

Too bad for you, then. Time to watch other shows. Sorry, Hayate S2 will include the romance/harem angle.
May 18, 2009 11:51 AM

Jan 2009
Defiance said:

You do realize you're not making much sense, do you? Just in your note before you said that you didn't want romance anyway since it was clear that Hayate would end up with Nagi. Now what?

Too bad for you, then. Time to watch other shows. Sorry, Hayate S2 will include the romance/harem angle.
May 18, 2009 11:52 AM

Aug 2008
I agree with a lot of what Defiance said...besides the dropping part...and the ereoge part.

Let's be real here: There isn't a whole lot, if any character development going on here. There is a plot, but it is absolutely nothing special, nor is it something that is totally coherent since we have ghosts, nuns we don't know the name of, and talking tigers. None of those things are really conducive to an engaging plot, but they are conducive to great comedy. These are great archetypes we're working with, so to see the same Valentine's day crap and "we're acting like we're married" jokes, just don't really suit the show well.
May 18, 2009 12:01 PM

Jul 2008
Mentar said:
I said that they should concentrate more on the main couple, as in they should focus more on building the relationship between Hayate and Nagi(they are standing side by side with everyone else in the background in the intro for Christ's sake).
May 18, 2009 12:02 PM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
Let's be real here: There isn't a whole lot, if any character development going on here.

I disagree. We only had 7 episodes so far, but we got significant character development for Hina and Ayumu, and some minor character development for Nagi and Miki. And, knowing the manga, things will become quite interesting from now on. Episode 7 planted the seed to some real drama in the future.

There is a plot, but it is absolutely nothing special, nor is it something that is totally coherent since we have ghosts, nuns we don't know the name of, and talking tigers. None of those things are really conducive to an engaging plot, but they are conducive to great comedy.

HnG isn't binary, it incorporates comedy too. But _only_ comedy without a point behind it does get stale. Look at the ratings of the later part of season 1, and you'll see what I mean.

These are great archetypes we're working with, so to see the same Valentine's day crap and "we're acting like we're married" jokes, just don't really suit the show well.

The so-called "Valentine's day crap" episode was the most-discussed and among best-rated episode to date. Also, Hayate S2 gets moderately better ratings than S1 here, but dramatically better ratings on other comparable sites.

Maybe it's rather that the majority doesn't share your dislike?
May 18, 2009 12:18 PM

Aug 2008
But we haven't had only 7 episodes. We had almost half of the first series. I'd like to know what development we've had for any of the characters, because at best, we've only gotten stronger characterization for the Nagi and Hina. There has been no development on the part of Ayumu, and Miki? How many lines has she had? There can't be development when there is nothing to develop from.

It is a comedy, but what I'm saying is that what was special about the show was the comedy. So far the way it's being incorporated is on the basis that this is a romance, and there are certain conventions in the genre that have to be played out. If the comedy were the center of the show, using the romance, Hayate's debt (which is totally in the background), and the absurd wealth of most of the characters to go off of then I doubt I wouldn't be so at odds with this season.

Point: The little thing with Nagi at the beginning of the V-day episode was a great point of characterization and funny to boot; Hayate and Maria making chocolate was also funny, simple misunderstandings are almost always comedy gold becasuse they depend so much on the characters.

I don't really care about ratings because at the end of the day it only speaks to the fact that people are seeing what they want to see regardless of whether or not it is good. Just because everyone consumes something doesn't make it wonderful. I suppose then you must believe that Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Naruto, and Bleach are the pinnacle of this art form?
May 18, 2009 12:43 PM

Jul 2008
Mentar said:
Maybe it's rather that the majority doesn't share your dislike?

This is a discussion board for expressing personal opinions, are you saying I should just love the anime because the general consensus does?

If the mangaka is seriously changing the originally implied story(Hayate x Nagi) to cater to the fanboys like you've said, then this series has gone down the shitter and that's my opinion.
May 18, 2009 1:08 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:

I don't really care about ratings because at the end of the day it only speaks to the fact that people are seeing what they want to see regardless of whether or not it is good. Just because everyone consumes something doesn't make it wonderful. I suppose then you must believe that Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Naruto, and Bleach are the pinnacle of this art form?

I have to agree with you on this.

I'm sure majority of the viewers tend to watch shows simply for enjoyment. Even if the story is absurd, they will watch it because they like what they are seeing.

May 18, 2009 1:33 PM

Jul 2008
Mentar said:

Based on the developments (and for Nagi, non-developments) up to the latest chapter, I consider it more and more likely that Hina has a very realistic shot to "win".
Here's some screenshots from the latest chapter 224 as a teaser ;)

OMGOMG IMAGE SAVED I WANT THAT CHAPTER TRANSLATED NOWZ!!!!!!

and bout all this fuss on the guy going with popular vote not a bad idea since after all this has to end sometime? And we wouldn't want Hayate with like 10 girls as an ending would we? Yes i am happy that it's going towards Hina and Hayate, but im trying to be quite fair, If not going by the popular vote what should the guy go with that would get him sells and good feedback at the sametime?
ClearSinzMay 18, 2009 1:43 PM
May 18, 2009 1:52 PM

Jul 2008
ClearSinz said:
If not going by the popular vote what should the guy go with that would get him sells and good feedback at the sametime?
Uh, the originally(and blatantly) implied person, Nagi. I think it is just a sellout move for the mangaka to go "well I originally intended for Hayate to end up with Nagi, but since there are more people that like Hinagiku I'm going to change it for the fanboys."
May 18, 2009 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
And then there can be alternate universes where each of the girls end up with Hayate, extending the monetary reach of the franchise despite whatever integrity it may have had (I'm talking to you Clannad).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ClearSinz - Apr 10, 2009

91 by mySaudate »»
May 22, 2023 2:57 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Sep 18, 2009

140 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 13, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2009

61 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 12, 2023 6:00 PM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 19, 2009

103 by MiMiXSheShe »»
Apr 6, 2023 2:25 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 22 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2009

46 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 5, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.