Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Jul 2013
Veronin said:
It eliminates any point in writing a review when your review reaches nobody. People write reviews because they want other people to see it. Reviews are inherently a form of consumer protection. Without an audience, there is no review. If that is attention-seeking to you then feel free to believe so.

And MAL has designed the reviewing system in such a way that helpfuls/unhelpfuls determine whether or not your review is seen by anybody. When one kid comes and votes down all your reviews 15-20 times over night, you have a damn good reason to be pissed. Reviews are very personal. It's like an author writing a book and not caring if it succeeds or fails. Doesn't happen. Every single reviewer on this site cares how their reviews are received. They would write on a blog if they didn't want feedback.

I agree with everything you said. Only reviewers from MAL (or other websites with an up/down voting system) would understand that feeling. Reviews take time and effort, and it would make sense for all votes to be honest in order to have their rightful place on the anime or manga's page. I dislike the downvote raids as well, but all we can do is be patient include of complaining about something that's currently being addressed. In the meantime, the only rec I have is to post reviews on other websites (like Anime-Planet and Hummingbird) in addition to MAL. They aren't any as active and interactive as MAL imo, but it's the only option besides posting to see if trolls get bored.
Demi_VJan 19, 2014 6:08 PM
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Aug 2012
Nope_ said:
Kineta said:

• Hidden_Joker
  • Congrats babe.

Thanks qt3.14
    Jan 19, 2014 5:30 PM

Jun 2013
    Finally
    Jan 19, 2014 5:46 PM

May 2009
    Congratulations!

*looks at queue*

Welcome! I know you guys are ready for this.
    Jan 19, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2011
    Grats to all. I recognize about 4-5 names on that list although one of them came to me as a surprise somewhat.
    Jan 19, 2014 6:44 PM

Jan 2012
    Peiale said:

I'm trying to have my expectations as low as possible, to be honest.

Peiale | 4 hours ago
    I expect quite a lot from the newly formed Rev/Rec Team, so I wish you all the best at covering the necessities.

I don't know what to believe anymore :P
    Jan 19, 2014 7:07 PM

Jan 2011
    Xinil, working on code? Heresy!

Well, finally. I should be able to expect some progress on quality control now.

Of course, congratulations to all the new mods.
    Jan 19, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2011
    Mod Note: Cleaned and reopened.

Feel free to join in congratulating the new moderators who have made a significant commitment of their time to help improve your experience on MAL.

If you have concerns, please express them in a private message to Kineta.

If you have suggestions for improving MAL, please post them in the suggestions forum.

Do not use this thread to attack other MAL users!
    rodacJan 19, 2014 8:28 PM
    Please don't feed the trolls!
    In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
    carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
    ...rodac

Jan 19, 2014 8:42 PM

May 2008
    I'm glad we were able to find some gullible qualified users who want to help keep the reviews and recommendations clean. The anime database here on MAL is one of the most important site features and flippant or trolling content shouldn't be cluttering it. Welcome all the new mods and I hope to see you around.

I am a banana.
    Jan 19, 2014 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
    saka said:
    I'm glad we were able to find some gullible qualified users who want to help keep the reviews and recommendations clean. The anime database here on MAL is one of the most important site features and flippant or trolling content shouldn't be cluttering it. Welcome all the new mods and I hope to see you around.

Just letting anyone reading know that the review community is far from having trolls and constant abusers only at the creation of various reviews. Really, far from that.
    Most come from the review voting waves, and that hasn't got anything to do with the anime and/or manga databases. The votes are done fast, so it's done from the Panel. Every other raid is done through that specific user's profile.

On short, why is it a hell zone and much worse than you say? Because approximately 5% of the votes cast overall are from actually visiting the page in the database. Everything else is fake. Therefore, having less troll, and generally incorrect reviews in the memory overall by having them removed ASAP is a minority. Compared to the whole picture, issues, philosophy, as well as actions that the users take for the worse, it is basically nothing.

Why? Because various troll/spam reviews are far from being an intelligent issue. They come, and will now get deleted fast, hopefully. How about those who are a bit more? Those, that know how to abuse the system much more heavily? Those circles that do that, are much bigger and effect other reviews over some random troll/spam reviews that get dealt with anyway, just faster now.
    SubbedJan 19, 2014 9:02 PM
    Jan 19, 2014 8:53 PM

Aug 2012
    saka said:
    gullible qualified users
    Heh heh.
    Jan 20, 2014 12:57 AM

Mar 2011
    Good luck.
    Jan 20, 2014 4:16 AM

Mar 2009
    Have "fun" being a mod. ;)
    Keep those reviews clean.
    Jan 20, 2014 5:11 AM
    Review Moderator
    (。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
    Alooo~!

Thanks for the congratulations :3 We'll do the best we can :D

*waves like a princess
    Jan 20, 2014 5:43 AM

Apr 2009
    Have fun, guys.
    I will do my daily duty and report a dozen reviews per day. Shouldn't be too hard.

Btw, do you consider KNIM 10/10 a troll review? :P
    Steel Ball Run anime when?
    Jan 20, 2014 6:01 AM
    Review Moderator
    (。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
    Nidhoeggr said:
    Have fun, guys.
    I will do my daily duty and report a dozen reviews per day. Shouldn't be too hard.

I personally would cause it doesn't deserve anything near 10 :I I've suffered so much the past year!!!... THAT being said, if your review is actually legit and written properly, we cannot delete something just because we don't agree with it (and thus, die slowly inside) <: So no, the numbers themselves don't matter if you are serious about them <:

And please, let it be hard! xD
    MaffyJan 20, 2014 8:00 AM
    Jan 20, 2014 7:50 AM

Aug 2012
    Maffy said:
    Nidhoeggr said:
    Have fun, guys.

I personally would cause it doesn't deserve anything near 10 :I I've suffered so much the past year!!!... THAT being said, if your review is actually legit and writen properly, we cannot delete something just because we don't agree with it (and thus, die slowly inside) <: So no, the numbers themselves don't matter if you are serious about them <:

I just wonder how Seo will end it...

Will he troll until the very end?
    It's getting a 9-10/10 from me though.. >_>
    Jan 20, 2014 8:00 AM

Jun 2012
    Congrats everyone and good luck!
    Jan 20, 2014 8:20 AM

Sep 2007
    Congrats all!

Jan 20, 2014 9:03 AM

Apr 2009
    Hidden_Joker said:
    Maffy said:
    Nidhoeggr said:
    Have fun, guys.

I personally would cause it doesn't deserve anything near 10 :I I've suffered so much the past year!!!... THAT being said, if your review is actually legit and writen properly, we cannot delete something just because we don't agree with it (and thus, die slowly inside) <: So no, the numbers themselves don't matter if you are serious about them <:

I just wonder how Seo will end it...

Will he troll until the very end?
    It's getting a 9-10/10 from me though.. >_>

You sure you are the right guy for the job? :P
    Steel Ball Run anime when?
    Jan 20, 2014 10:11 AM

Jul 2013
    Since I can't post links to the guidelines on user's profiles anymore, I'll be bugging the heck out of all of you with these reports. Lol, I hope explanations like "This user is unaware of the Review/Rec Guidelines" is good enough.
    Demi Valentine

Jan 20, 2014 10:14 AM
    SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
    Demi_V said:
    Since I can't post links to the guidelines on user's profiles anymore, I'll be bugging the heck out of all of you with these reports. Lol, I hope explanations like "This user is unaware of the Review/Rec Guidelines" is good enough.

I've been posting "Too early" since most of them are like that.
    Jan 20, 2014 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
    Zelot said:
    Demi_V said:

Really? I've been skipping those. As far as the "Too Early" ones, I thought they were automatically removed anyway.
    Demi Valentine

Jan 20, 2014 10:35 AM

Jul 2012
    Demi_V said:
    Zelot said:
    Demi_V said:

Really? I've been skipping those. As far as the "Too Early" ones, I thought they were automatically removed anyway.

Please continue to report as you like. Though I'm sure I can speak for all review moderators when I say that more specific report explanations are always appreciated. Though you are not required to write anything and we can work with whatever you give us. To put it simply, being able to read a report description that gives us clearer info as to why it should be removed/edited always helps.
    Anything point form is great. Specifically quoting the guidelines the review was not following is a bonus.

Reviews which are written for anime before their allowed time (episodes currently aired) are not automatically removed from MAL. Please continue to report them. If you report one of these reviews stating that it was "too early" or "written before its allowed time" that is enough information as we will be removing such reviews regardless of any other review guideline related content. Of course we can easily find that out ourselves too. :P

Hope that insight helps.
    SnakesJan 20, 2014 10:46 AM
    Jan 20, 2014 10:49 AM

Jul 2013
    Snakes said:
    Demi_V said:
    Zelot said:
    Demi_V said:

Please continue to report as you like. Though I'm sure I can speak for all review moderators when I say that more specific report explanations are always appreciated. Though you are not required to write anything and we can work with whatever you give us. To put it simply, being able to read a report description that gives us clearer info as to why it should be removed/edited always helps.
    Anything point form is great. Specifically quoting the guidelines the review was not following is a bonus.

Reviews which are written for anime before their allowed time (episodes currently aired) are not automatically removed from MAL. Please continue to report them. If you report one of these reviews stating that it was "too early" or "written before its allowed time" that is enough information as we will be removing such reviews regardless of any other review guideline related content. Of course we can easily find that out ourselves too. :P

Hope that insight helps.

It does help. Thanks, Snakes. Thanks to you, too, Zelot, for reporting. :)
    Demi Valentine

Jan 20, 2014 11:24 AM

Mar 2013
    Guys and gals, allow me to be so bold and add up to what Kineta has said in her opening post.

Kineta said:
    If you are interested in the position, I suggest that you keep reporting reviews/recommendations with useful comments illustrating your knowledge of the guidelines and perhaps there will be a place for you on the team sometime in the future.

Although the main focus was on possible future recruitment, that doesn't really matter. Give useful and specific comments in your reports, regardless if you are aiming to one day become a Mod or not. It's generally a good observation and judging exercise, as well as training the expression of a specific issue through text. If nothing else, it's at least that.

In other words, keep the reports rich, but on-topic. At all times. :)
    Jan 20, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2012
    Congrats Joker and lpf.
    As for the others, hope you do a good job.
    Jan 20, 2014 1:47 PM

Aug 2012
    Congratulations and good luck.
    Jan 20, 2014 3:22 PM

Aug 2012
    Nidhoeggr said:

You sure you are the right guy for the job? :P
    lol my scores matter not.
    I did have to take tests you know. Hopefully I am.

Mod Edit: Quote tower removed.
    rodacJan 20, 2014 9:38 PM
    Jan 20, 2014 8:24 PM
    noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
    Congrats to everyone who made the final cut, and good luck chipping away at that mountainous backlog of queued reports.
    Jan 21, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2012
    Congratulations! Mal desperately needs these guys. :D
    Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
    Jan 22, 2014 7:10 PM

Aug 2011
    lpf is master race. Congrats, dude.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
    Jan 23, 2014 12:17 AM

Jan 2014
    ganbatte kudasai minna!!
    Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
    A warrior of youth,
    I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
    I Am Bulletproof. . .

Jan 23, 2014 12:25 AM

Dec 2011
    Only just found out that this had actually happened. Congratulations.
    There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
    Jan 23, 2014 4:53 AM

Jun 2008
    Congrats all. Now let the real fun begin!!! *evil grin*
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 23, 2014 8:19 AM

Jun 2012
    Wow Kineta, you actually picked competent users. I'm surprised.
    Jan 23, 2014 8:49 AM

Jul 2012
    Shuhan said:

That's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me...

:')
    Jan 23, 2014 9:57 AM

Jun 2012
    Snakes said:
    Shuhan said:

That's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me...

:')

I like how you took the compliment out of that lol.
    Jan 23, 2014 10:17 AM
    Anime DB Admin
    BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
    Lol, Snakes, nice one. =D

staff.applications  
    guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
    thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
    Jan 23, 2014 11:28 AM

Mar 2013
    Shuhan said:

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but we have yet to see and determine that.
    Everything is neutral as for now. The pre-set potential is hugely different between the ones that were picked, bringing quite a question mark to that statement.
    Regardless, we'll see through action. Better give it your best shot, peeps.
    Jan 23, 2014 11:34 AM

Aug 2012
    Peiale said:
    Shuhan said:

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but we have yet to see and determine that.
    Everything is neutral as for now. The pre-set potential is hugely different between the ones that were picked, bringing quite a question mark to that statement.
    In other words mods, enjoy having your neck breathed down on.
    Jan 23, 2014 11:47 AM
    Review Moderator
    (。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
    MellowJello said:

*wears a scarf over a sweater :3
    Jan 23, 2014 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
    Peiale said:
    Shuhan said:

I don't think my team was planning on not giving the job our "best shot.". Your statement was rather negative and unnecessary. This thread is clearly to welcome us to the staff team, not to be critiqued by you or anyone else. Please keep such comments to yourself or at least don't post them here. Something too similar happened with the last forum moderator welcome announcement which was fairly sad.

Please try to understand that we are MAL's first review/rec mod team. Nearly unimaginable amounts of time, effort, and patience has been and is still being put into this project by Kineta. We as a team have nobody else mentoring us, and this is a tedious, stressful and, hard process. We are going though this so that future generations of review/rec mods won't have to, and so we can secure the best possible future for MAL we can provide.

I'm telling you this so hopefully you can imagine how things are going with the team and maybe show Kineta some well earned gratitude for being able to put this together while also dealing with a million and one other problems on MAL. Though I feel this reply is directed at a lot of people too, not just you. Of course, please continue to have high hopes and all, but there's really no need to continually add pressure to us through unfriendly means. Though, this is all my own opinion.

Thank you and goodnight.
    SnakesJan 23, 2014 11:56 PM
    Jan 23, 2014 12:35 PM

Mar 2013
    I do not see the connection, to be honest. You went talking about Kineta. I can see what kind of work Kineta is doing, and she's doing it very well.
    I was focusing on the new Rev/Rev Mods. As said, you are new. Therefore, I have stated that the ones that were picked are of very different types and have different potentials. When saying that, I was responding to Shuhan's post, and his post alone.

I'm not bringing any criticism whatsoever, I'm just saying that the whole team is made up of members with really different colors. As such, the overall whole should be judged by the actions taken. To be perfectly honest, I am not a fan of this "warm welcome thread - compliments only" thread. Compliments are given after some work is done, not just when a status and power to do some work is acquired.

In the end, I do wish you all the best in your handling with the reviews and recommendations.
    My previous post was a tad misunderstood, it would seem. I was only focusing on the matter that the team has quite a wide palette of different types of members, which can end up as something good or not. We shall see. Until then, good luck at your work.
    SubbedJan 23, 2014 12:40 PM
    Jan 23, 2014 2:40 PM

Mar 2008
    Peiale said:
    To be perfectly honest, I am not a fan of this "warm welcome thread - compliments only" thread. Compliments are given after some work is done, not just when a status and power to do some work is acquired.
    Welcome threads are beneficial in that from them the community can become familiar with those who will be newly helping us out around MAL. Review and Recommendation moderators are testing out new waters, so this thread in particular marks a milestone for MAL.

Each of these new moderators have done work already - behind the scenes. That's why I don't see how anyone other than Kineta could rightly judge how any of them will perform in the future. They've all been tested on their ability to work on the battlefield and wouldn't have been mentioned here if they didn't have the capabilities necessary for the job.

All anyone can do is wait to see how MAL will benefit from these new team members.

Welcoming topics - let alone anywhere throughout MAL's main forum - are not places where any kind of users should be gossiped about, strictly speaking, in such a manner that could potentially harm them if they read about it.

Peiale - You haven't explicitly done this in your last couple of posts, but this is the second time where a welcoming topic has been plagued with criticism of newly hired staff. I only hope that this wouldn't continue any further and that if anyone had a genuine concern that they would share it with a moderator in private.

Jan 23, 2014 4:54 PM

Mar 2010
    Interesting, Well Congrats to the new Mods. MAL is Becoming more and more noticeable.

Behold of my awesomeness~
    controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
    But my feels.
    Jan 23, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2012
    MellowJello said:
    Peiale said:
    Shuhan said:

Ma-maybe I like having someone breath down my neck. literally. like hot, wet gasping

And well, addressing different concerns about whether we are competent enough or not;
    eh, time will tell. This is a newly established position, and we all have a lot to learn and we are still working on some of the little details needed in our job. Granted we'll have some bumps and scratches along the way. But in the end, we accepted this job because we like MAL, and we ARE trying to learn well so that we can improve the situation on MAL even by a little bit. Also. as some people mentioned, we DID have to take tests and whatnot. So. Yeah. I guess somewhere along these lines, I say "We'll try our best!" or something like that. But we WILL try to earn your trust.

Wow lookit me making a serious post.
    I-it's not like I was trying to be serious or anything. B-baka.
    Hidden_JokerJan 23, 2014 6:55 PM
    Jan 23, 2014 11:26 PM

Mar 2013
    Ramen said:
    Welcome threads are beneficial in that from them the community can become familiar with those who will be newly helping us out around MAL. Review and Recommendation moderators are testing out new waters, so this thread in particular marks a milestone for MAL.

Nothing wrong with that.
    I was focusing on blindly throwing the compliments on the matters that have yet to happen.

Ramen said:
    Each of these new moderators have done work already - behind the scenes. That's why I don't see how anyone other than Kineta could rightly judge how any of them will perform in the future. They've all been tested on their ability to work on the battlefield and wouldn't have been mentioned here if they didn't have the capabilities necessary for the job.

All anyone can do is wait to see how MAL will benefit from these new team members.

That's exactly what I have said. I said that we would have to wait a little to see some results, due to the public actions only starting recently. As for the capabilities of doing their job, I have heard what kind of tests Kineta had planned on for them. Yes, they indeed are directly connected to the daily routines. Still, as said, we will only be able to see how they will act publicly after they actually do so.

But that was not my point in all my posts so far.
    I was focusing on a harmless observation. Unlike the recently picked Forum Mods, for example, the new Rev/Rec Mods hold many different potentials. That is not a criticism under any means, it's just something like that doesn't happen regularly and I found it worth pointing out.

Ramen said:
    Welcoming topics - let alone anywhere throughout MAL's main forum - are not places where any kind of users should be gossiped about, strictly speaking, in such a manner that could potentially harm them if they read about it.

Peiale - You haven't explicitly done this in your last couple of posts, but this is the second time where a welcoming topic has been plagued with criticism of newly hired staff. I only hope that this wouldn't continue any further and that if anyone had a genuine concern that they would share it with a moderator in private.

I take that as a black-on-white proof that if something isn't mindless complimenting, it is considered as criticism. Allow me to highlight this for the last time, as I've done so in my previous post: I haven't shared any criticism whatsoever. How could I? Nothing has happened yet for me to even pull the criticism from.

Again, my posts were only an observation. Nothing negative. If you find a post saying how the whole team appears to have members with really different potentials among the rest of the shoot'n'go "Congratulations!", then it is totally up to you how you take it. However, that is not criticism under any means. And yes, any direct criticism and opinion I have, I share it privately. I know how the Forum Mods thread went, and my posts are far from being flame biting, harsh criticism. They aren't pointing anything negative out at all, so you might want to stop being so protective over nothing.

Just saying "Congratulations!" equals to spam. But not here?
    If I say something more, an observation, w/o any criticism whatsoever, it is usually considered good. But not here?
    In the end, it doesn't matter. I've only tried to point something interesting out, but it seems it sounded too complicated for the mood in which this thread is in, so it was marked as criticism. As long as all of that doesn't matter, it's all just fine.

I wished them all the best, although the biggest part when into that observation.
    And that's that.

Once again, and since this thread has went far too off because of all this misunderstanding, hopefully the final time: Good luck to the entire team, wish you all the best.
    SubbedJan 23, 2014 11:32 PM
    Jan 24, 2014 7:49 AM

Mar 2008
    Nice moderators, I congratulate everyone :-)

When I first read the thread I thought it'd refer to the actual "Anime & Manga Recommendation"-section of the forum, which I personally think needs more moderation..
    Jan 25, 2014 3:44 AM

Sep 2012
    Congratulations everyone!
    Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

223 by RED-clover12 »»
    Yesterday, 12:53 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
    Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
    Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
    Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
    Apr 21, 4:28 AM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.