Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 21, 2013 10:58 PM

Jun 2011
chrysalibun said:
So unlike most people here this movie had a lot of what I wanted. Bringing up the old and the new, lots of funnies and nice moments. People really aren't big fans of the silly side of DBZ I guess. I think Lord Bills and Whis were really good additions. Probably the only thing for me was some of the animation got a bit too much. I should throw out there that I'm a huge Vegeta/Bulma fan, so...

Also, when Goku was talking about how he was disappointed that he needed everyone's help? I was a bit confused because how many times has he used spirit bombs to finish people...but I guess at the end when he thought of everyone, as usual, he succeeded. So just redeeming himself in that part? Idk.

I just disliked the fighting part, everything else was fine.

Bolded: Yes I've thought of that too, when he said that I was a little shocked, because that's so not like him at all.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 22, 2013 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
penguintruth said:
The only way you could say that Nozawa doesn't fit Goku is by not knowing anything about the character.

Years of the English dub being wildly inaccurate and poorly voice acted have dulled your mental acuity.

You obviously didn't read my post then, I said I could understand why people liked the voice.
I just dont because in my perspective Goku isn't supposed to sound like a high pitched woman.

It's just an opinion, no need to get all fuzzed up about it.

English Dub has way more accurate voice actors in my opinion.

And don't worry about my mental acuity, it's fine.
Like I said, anyone can have an opinion about dubs, I just feel that English fits it more properly.
Sep 22, 2013 3:34 PM

Oct 2010
Didn't like it all that much. Meh, won't discuss the transformation, everything from SSJ3 and beyond looks like an ass-pull out of nowhere. The fusion was believable but joining hands to make a God is just... silly to me. Not to mention it's always a pain seeing side characters getting owned in an instant and then Goku saving the day.

The only refreshing thing about this movie is that they didn't beat the ''villain'' at the end. A welcome change if you ask me.

And why is Goku getting all the credit in killing Frieza? He defeated him yeah but give some credit to Future Trunks who finished him off. As a God shouldn't Bills know that?
Sep 22, 2013 9:54 PM

Dec 2012
The movie was ok, I liked that Pilaf was in it. Would have have been funny if he got scared when seeing Piccolo since he has history with King Piccolo. Would think he more easily would remember him than Bulma.

Gohan looked weak, he should be stronger than Vegeta at that point. Vegeta did a better job(even pre Bulma slap) against Bills than ssj3 Goku, he also implied that Gotenks was weaker than him.

Kinda strange that Gotenks didn't go ssj3, maybe he wanted to wait with it like he did against Buu.

Base Goku < Freeza still? According to Bills that's the case.

Not a fan of the GT art. The characters are too glossy and theres too much cel shading. Goku and Vegeta also have huge chins which makes them look somewhat silly. I like the later dbz art the best but this looked more like GT. Not the biggest deal in the world though.

Overall the movie was not bad and Bills is an interesting character. Hopefully they will make a new series based on this.
DragonfistSep 23, 2013 6:38 PM
Sep 25, 2013 4:02 AM

Jun 2011
It was a fun watch. It was nice to see something different from the normal DBZ movies. You don't usually see the antagonist surviving and leaving the planet alone. Bills was a really cool character. I enjoyed the fight, more so when the music started playing. But I felt it could have been a little better. The CG felt kind awkward to me, but wasn't a big deal. I liked that part at the end where Bills was talking about the other universes. We will probably be seeing more movies focusing on that stuff. Vegeta is probably gonna become a SSJ God. Speaking of Vegeta I liked his scene when Bills slapped Bulma. It was nice to see that he has changed, became more light hearted and friendly. More human-like like Goku is. The dancing was so funny hahaha.

Though I would have liked it if Toriyama himself wrote the script. I'm not sure how involved he was with the film, but I can tell that a lot of the ideas were his.
Playstation Network ID - Overlord-Takeshi
Please feel free to talk to me! I love making new friends with the same interests as me!
Sep 25, 2013 8:11 AM
May 2013
This was a good movie, I liked the animation.
I hoped to see Gogeta ...
I think Gogeta SSJ4 can beat Bills .
In the end Whis was stronger than Bills.
Sep 25, 2013 10:40 AM

Aug 2010
TakeshiKun said:

Though I would have liked it if Toriyama himself wrote the script. I'm not sure how involved he was with the film, but I can tell that a lot of the ideas were his.

I'm not sure how involved Toriyama was, but yeah, you can tell that he came up with a lot the ideas here. Bills and Whis seem like characters that Toiyama would have drawn in his prime, especially Whis's love for Sushi.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 25, 2013 10:04 PM

Sep 2011
Well I enjoyed it.

Fighting was cool, I liked God mode.
Vegeta was hilarious and epicly awesome as usual.
Sep 26, 2013 1:26 AM
Apr 2009
PrOxAnto said:

You know how opinions cannot, by definition, be wrong? Generally speaking, that is.

Yours actually shattered that barrier, sir, bravo.

How can the English dub have more accurate voice actors if THE F***ING GUY WHO CREATED DB CHOSE THE JAPANESE VOICES?

Well, to be honest, just Goku and Kuririn. But still.
Sep 26, 2013 4:40 AM

Jan 2013
penguintruth said:
PrOxAnto said:

You know how opinions cannot, by definition, be wrong? Generally speaking, that is.

How can the English dub have more accurate voice actors if THE F***ING GUY WHO CREATED DB CHOSE THE JAPANESE VOICES?

Man you really dislike any dub do you?
It is my opinion that the English dub has more accurate voice actors, because I think those voices fit the characters more.

And opinions can not be wrong, you just don't like my opinion so you want to prove me wrong, which is impossible in this case.

I really couldn't care less whether you like the English dub or not.
Try to convince another "DB/Z fan" to prefer subs over dubs, you've failed here.
PrOxAntoSep 26, 2013 5:15 PM
Sep 28, 2013 11:20 AM

Jan 2010
Natsu12345 said:
chrysalibun said:
So unlike most people here this movie had a lot of what I wanted. Bringing up the old and the new, lots of funnies and nice moments. People really aren't big fans of the silly side of DBZ I guess. I think Lord Bills and Whis were really good additions. Probably the only thing for me was some of the animation got a bit too much. I should throw out there that I'm a huge Vegeta/Bulma fan, so...

Also, when Goku was talking about how he was disappointed that he needed everyone's help? I was a bit confused because how many times has he used spirit bombs to finish people...but I guess at the end when he thought of everyone, as usual, he succeeded. So just redeeming himself in that part? Idk.

I just disliked the fighting part, everything else was fine.

Bolded: Yes I've thought of that too, when he said that I was a little shocked, because that's so not like him at all.

The way I see it, that's because Genki Dama is a skill that he learned by himself (being trained by Kaioh-sama, of course, but still) while SSGod is a transformation that was handed to him. He didn't earn it like he did with the other transformations or the Genki Dama. Goku didn't need any help to achieve Super Saiyan 1, 2 or 3, he did it all by himself, they were his achievements, while Super Saiyan God wasn't. I think that's why he was upset.
Sep 28, 2013 4:10 PM

Oct 2010
PrOxAnto said:
penguintruth said:
PrOxAnto said:

Man you really dislike any dub do you?
It is my opinion that the English dub has more accurate voice actors, because I think those voices fit the characters more.

And opinions can not be wrong, you just don't like my opinion so you want to prove me wrong, which is impossible in this case.

I really couldn't care less whether you like the English dub or not.
Try to convince another "DB/Z fan" to prefer subs over dubs, you've failed here.

I prefer sub, you fail.

Opinion can't be wrong IF you have the right info. And the word ''accurate'', I don't think it means what you think it means.

In this case, if in Japanese audio the character says one thing and in dub the character says another, it is more correct to take Japanese audio as a true line and accurate in canon sense. Because that is how originally was intended to be said. You can say that you like the ''sound'' of the characters with English dub more, but accurate? No.
Sep 29, 2013 8:36 AM

Jan 2013

MY opinion is that I think it's more accurate ... thus an opinion.
I guess I formulated it wrong, my bad.

But if you put it that way ..
I like the English dubbed version more than the Japanese dub.

Also the reason why I reacted like that is mainly because this penguintruth guy is clearly a Dub hater, as he's stated not only on MAL but multiple sites.
PrOxAntoSep 29, 2013 10:06 AM
Sep 29, 2013 5:46 PM

Aug 2008
wonderful, felt original, please make more.
*badass mode activated*
Sep 30, 2013 5:07 AM

Jan 2008
yungstud said:
Like how did Goku over power that fire ball Bills threw at the Earth or transition between god and ssj 1 and still compete, just seems a bit ass-pull-ish.

The underlined part was actually explained though. Goku unknowingly absorbed the power of the God-form into his body during the fight, and so his power didn't drop all that much even after the transformation expired. Beers explains all this while Goku is struggling to stop his final attack.

penguintruth said:
Actually, Masako Nozawa's Goku voice is the only one that suits the character. If you don't think it fits, then you don't understand what Goku is about. Toriyama himself picked Nozawa.

In all fairness though, Nozawa is getting pretty old, and it does sort of show in her performance in this movie. Now don't get me wrong, it's still a great performance on the whole, but like, just compare the "Ka... me... ha... me... HA!!" at the very, very end, to other instances of Goku using that move in the show. It sounds notably less powerful. Or more specifically, she's gone from yelling "HA!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of her lungs, to a much less powerful "Huwah!"-sort of yell.

Again, not complaining, just pointing out that she isn't able to deliver them battle-yells quite as well as she once did.
Oct 1, 2013 9:11 AM

Aug 2010
I guess age can be a big factor in voice acting.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 1, 2013 10:42 PM

Feb 2012
The only outstanding movie in the dragon ball franchise i can think of, is the first film with Broly. Never did i see something like that, for me it was the perfect Dragon Ball movie. Anyway, this one was nice and nostalgic.
That Goku, never changes :)
Oct 1, 2013 11:24 PM

Jan 2009
I don't know why some people still couldn't accept that Goku was holding up fine against Bills in SSJ. They even went the extra mile to explain it.

The movie felt nostalgic and fresh to me. I liked the fact that for the first time in a DB movie, Goku lost. I guess some people would still prefer the old overused formula.

Although I didn't like the design of SSJGod that much, I still appreciate that it's there. I'd rather have something new in the movie than just Goku turning SSJ3 or fusion to beat the opponent. I doubt it'll ever appear again though due to Goku's saiyan pride, which is good because it kinda felt like a cheap move so I know where Goku's coming from.

Overall I liked the movie. I didn't regret watching it. Certainly didn't feel like a waste of time. I'm an old time fan so this brought back a lot of memories. 8/10
Oct 4, 2013 5:12 AM

Oct 2009
That was actually pretty fun to watch! Vegeta dancing so much win!!! XDD
The CG though..i was expecting some great visuals like from the first teaser :/ they looked like DBZ game CG. Quite a good watch :)

7/10
Oct 5, 2013 6:03 PM

Nov 2012
God this movie was fucking hilarious.
I love Toriyamas humor, he knows how to put in humor.
Oct 6, 2013 2:55 AM

Mar 2013
That was very good and was so nostalgic!!
There are are 12 universes in total and Bill is the god of the 7th universe O_o
Woah, makes me think that his teacher, Whis, is like the god of all universes.....or at least more of a higher rank.....
Oct 8, 2013 4:24 PM
Oct 2008
It was ok loved the credits
Oct 14, 2013 6:44 AM

Aug 2010
pillsbury15 said:
It was ok loved the credits

Yeah, the credits were nice. I'm surprised that no one has really talked about it.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 16, 2013 3:19 PM
Aug 2010
I had given a 7/10 but after I saw the film dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese,
my score is now 9/10.

Filme do caralho.
Oct 17, 2013 9:23 PM

Apr 2008
The Vegeta fangirl in me is so happy with this movie I could just pop!!!~~~

Did you see his face at the end! So cute! v(^_^)

I also liked Lord Bills, very likeable character. I can tell they put a lot of thought into this one. Didn't have as much of a "generic conflict" feel to it. Lots of nice character development, too.
Oct 20, 2013 10:17 AM
Sep 2007
Chibi Pilaf gang >>> GT version of them.
Oct 21, 2013 12:38 PM
Apr 2009
I actually really liked this movie. The whole movie I was hoping that they wouldn't screw up the script and make it so that Goku actually beat Bills.

It was very well done, Bills is almost the perfect strongest being. I like Villians scripted like that, not like Frieza or Buu mindlessly destroying but also wanting to find a challenge, teaching, and acting normal at first and blending in with the humans while having a tiny bit of arrogance of course.

I was glad to see that Goku stood little chance and even admitted that later on, you rarely actually see that in a shounen lol. If they made it so that Goku beat Bills, that would be the absolute end of DBZ cause what else comes after that? It wouldn't be as fun.

Seeing Vegeta was awesome, him exceeding Goku by protecting his woman was awesome to see also. The only thing lacking fan wise was Gohan being badass since he was supposed to be the strongest Saiyan in the end. Imagine if Vegeta wasn't heartless in the early sagas and cared about his comrades like Goku did when he first turned SSJ1 for example. Vegeta could have done the same.

- End story xD. Good movie all in all, mostly cause of seeing everyone again and my love for how the Villian and main characters were portrayed. Android 18 looked really good :O, Trunks was cool too. I just liked the whole laidback feeling all the main characters had. It's rare seeing them rsepect an enemy like that.

I do agree from a Critic standpoint this movie would have a bunch of flaws. The story, how a SS God stemmed from a fight cause of pudding lol, etc.
SsjbryandoOct 21, 2013 12:45 PM
Oct 25, 2013 1:02 AM

Apr 2011
Really wasn't expecting Goku to actually lose at the end! I knew Bills wouldn't actually destroy the Earth, but I also wasn't really expecting him to fall to Friendship no Jutsu (usually that's Naruto's thing). I'm intrigued and would like to see more of these sorts of stories. I'm glad that the movie's actual canon, too, so it's not in that weird non-canon zone of lost time and weirdness.

4/5
Oct 25, 2013 1:51 AM

Feb 2010
very good DB Movie loved every minute of it.
Oct 27, 2013 2:57 AM

Dec 2010
Really enjoyable. Started it out not expecting much, but it really was nostalgic like others have said.

It reminded me of the buu saga. and speaking of....looool
Nov 6, 2013 11:57 PM

Apr 2012
Loved the movie 10/10

- I love DBZ but I grew tired of the generic pattern of how their movies plays out. Finally for once we see how Goku and the others deal with the realization that there is someone more powerful than they are. It kinda puts them in their place and it's refreshing.
- I wasn't that disappointed in the SSJ God mode image because it may showcase simplicity but underneath it overflows with immeasurable power only gods can attain. I'd probably be more disappointed if Goku's SSJ GM image would be too flashy and too conspicuous. I'm so jaded with all the emphasis put auras, muscles, size, lightning, hair length and every other power up every anime has adopted. It's all cosmetic anyway.
- The villain or antagonist in the story wasn't really a bad guy, just a god who is bored and wants a challenge worthy of his attention. Gods play a role as sorts because it's their purpose and being a god of destruction means he has to destroy whether he likes it or not. Thank goodness his image wasn't that too emphatic compared previous foes. I like it when they hide potential in forms that are normally overlooked or perceived as weak.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Nov 7, 2013 9:10 PM

Apr 2012
Akira Toriyama has huge chance to finally ditch that ridiculous fan fiction they call GT

- Bra not being born
- Videl's baby is a boy

I can put more examples but those 2 so far stood out for me.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.

To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Nov 10, 2013 10:10 AM

Nov 2010
Watched DBZ dubbed Japanese for the first time
It took a little time to adjust, but I heard Goku's voice from games before

This was certainly nostalgic and a tribute especially at the ending credits showing the complete manga collection flipped page by page fast forwarded

Seeing Vegeta being humble and trembling in fear, since the Frieza Saga was wonderful
He and Shenron were totally out of character

Lord Pilaf and his gang showing up brought back Dragonball for me
Mai ending up with Trunks was hilarious
Episode centering food was nice too
And the show off bingo with the wealth jokes outside the party was nice

Have mixed feelings about Goku's transformation to a god, but the fights were ok
Even knowing it wouldn't be something like the first Saga

Vegeta having a lil bro around is new to me, same as the information about Lord Bill being the 7th god in the Dimension with Whis as his teacher
Lord Bill looks like an Egyptian god or a Pokemon btw
Hopefully some room for future Saga's, but I think the author is done with it
writing a new Manga

Videl's baby is the future Pai right?
1lauNov 10, 2013 10:16 AM
Nov 15, 2013 1:49 AM

Apr 2012
1lau said:

If the creator(Toriyama) goes on and writes Videl's unborn child as a BOY then GT evaporates into oblivion.

Nov 24, 2013 8:23 AM

Jun 2009
Wow, that was actually really good. Surprisingly good. There wasn't that much fighting, which is interesting considering it's a Dragon Ball Z movie. The thing that interested me the most about this movie is the lore behind the other Hakaishins and, character wise, Whis. Can't wait to see the other movies, if they do end up releasing more.
Nov 25, 2013 5:53 AM
Jun 2013
I'm surprised at how many people who disliked the movie. At first i was hesitant to watch the film as i wasn't used to the Japanese voices as i grew up with the american dub but i got over it. I enjoyed the film as i got to see the gang in a new adventure and this time it being canon. I loved the comedy and action unlike a lot of you people out there. This movie is different from the other films as the basic dbz formula (bad guy appears, they fight the bad guy and beat the bad guy) is missing but instead we have something different, something more "fresh". The only thing i found uneasy to watch was the CGI. This movie wasn't too serious and was more light hearted, a little treat to dbz fans (the fun ones anyways). Just be glad this wasn't a generic beach episode.
Nov 28, 2013 9:39 AM

May 2012
This was quite an enjoyable movie of the whole movie series! The God power and the red hair/glow sure maid it quite interesting and well the fight itself was sure lovely! It was nice to see everyone back again and even Pilaf and his gang :p they sure made it even better! The animation and art were impressive making this a quite lovely movie! I especially loved the ending credits with covering the manga in short!

Well this sure was a nice finish of the Dragon Ball Z series so lets see what GT and Kai later on have to offer!
Dec 3, 2013 11:52 PM

Jan 2008
Janethan23 said:
1lau said:

If the creator(Toriyama) goes on and writes Videl's unborn child as a BOY then GT evaporates into oblivion.

Hate to break it to ya man, but if he were to do that, he would be contradicting himself. Because like it or not, Pan is in the manga. She appears in the final three chapters.
Jan 1, 2014 10:21 PM

Mar 2008
All in all I felt it was pretty good. Definitely not the cash cow movie people originally thought it would be.
Feb 2, 2014 10:47 AM
Oct 2009
Just had a chance to see it in a cinema, with a friend of mine who's also a fan od DB (anime and manga).

Well, long story short, we wanted to gouge our eyes out and smack our heads on the wall till we fainted, just after 15 minutes of this trainwreck. What the flying fuck was this. An entire movie devoted just to jokes and blabber? Characters making fools out of themselves? A villain that isn't even a villain and does not know if he should do something or be a living gag?

The worst part was hearing people laugh around us at 8 y.o. jokes, while we wondered if we should just run away or stop and throw a molotov cocktail at the screen while we left the place. To think we wasted a ticket on an overstretched comic episode...
Feb 11, 2014 12:27 PM
Jul 2013
Most of the episode was funny but I found it absurd to wait Bills. The fight is the only thing I liked.
Apr 4, 2014 9:29 AM

Nov 2012
I want to see Broly VS. Bills.
May 6, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2012
Bills slapping Bulma was hilarious XD
8/10
Jun 25, 2014 9:51 AM

Dec 2008
Nice to see the DBZ crew back, however this movie was kind of disappointing. The action scenes were great but the plot and specially the ending were not that great. The scene were Vegeta was trying his best not to upset Bills was hilarious.
Jul 2, 2014 5:33 AM

Oct 2012
Aichiro said:
I want to see Broly VS. Bills.

Why? Instant win for Bills obviously.
Jul 24, 2014 5:55 AM

Aug 2012
Almost a must watch for any Dragon Ball 'old time' fan, definitely worth it.

Animation is top notch, story is quite basic, but you get to all if not almost all main DBZ characters (from Buu saga at least) and hear them joke around, see them fight etc, the usual =)

Jul 29, 2014 1:18 PM

May 2012
Nope said:
God this movie was fucking hilarious.
I love Toriyamas humor, he knows how to put in humor.
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Aug 5, 2014 7:25 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
The comedy was fantastic. The whole theater was laughing throughout the movie.

The plot and end of the fight however, were not. I was sort of disappointed in that regard.

But I feel like the movie was more of a homage to those who've watched DBZ throughout the years, and as someone who has, I enjoyed the heck out of it. I'm very happy to say I was able to see it in theaters.
Aug 5, 2014 9:16 PM

Jun 2013
Actually waited until this movie was dubbed to watch it with my friends on the big screen. Was it worth the wait? Absolutely freaking yes!!!
A lot of old faces show up, great humor, and the actual God x God action was pretty good!

Great movie!
9/10.
Aug 6, 2014 7:47 PM

Oct 2007
This movie was a lot of fun. Our theater was laughing like crazy during the comedy bits, which is always nice.

I did feel the final battle and the whole concept of God Goku was just eh though. I was hoping for a crazy trasnformation with the monkey tail ala SS4. But hey I still had fun and was totally worth it seeing on the big screen.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Q&A: I don't understand some things...

waalex11 - Jun 26, 2015

3 by MrFanatic »»
Aug 27, 2021 12:42 AM

» Is Toriyama ignoring GT?

Wolf_Xll - Sep 15, 2013

36 by VaskoKasko »»
Apr 14, 2019 2:45 AM

» Did Vegeta become better, or worse character by the Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami movie? Since he first appeared, that is...

Kleferi - Mar 17, 2015

8 by Milennin »»
Jun 3, 2016 1:12 PM

» His name is Beerus.

ChairForceOne - Mar 9, 2015

5 by deg »»
Aug 15, 2015 12:13 AM

» Time for a new VA for Goku?

mechian - Nov 10, 2014

8 by IntroverTurtle »»
Mar 4, 2015 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.