Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 11, 2013 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a nice night for talking~

Dat talking ladder. Decent episode again. I just love the pacing of this show. It's kinda strange seeing frogs talk I guess but at the same time refreshing to me.

Oh and Benten with tears spotted under the moon ;.;

Aug 11, 2013 9:22 AM

Aug 2010
Oh...Benten crying? Why I wonder? Really beautiful scene there.

She looked really cute when she was younger <3

Oh Kaisei, such a tsundere turning to a ladder XD

Loved the conversation with Sensei and Yasaburo's conflict of emotions.

Totally loving their father. Even though he's dead the dude seemed to be such a friggin BA! Sitting there like a BOSS ready to be eaten.

So now it seems a war between Tanuki will commence?
Aug 11, 2013 9:44 AM

Jun 2012
Frogbro(Yajiro) is still the best Tanuki
Maybe him being my favorite is a manifestation of my idiot blood :P

Benten's mysterious aura still captivates me but I hope they payoff on it by the end of the series. Not even going to try guessing why she cries at Frogbro's well because there are so many possible reasons you could choose right now...
Aug 11, 2013 9:59 AM

Jul 2013
Hybridbloodszak said:
Frogbro(Yajiro) is still the best Tanuki
Maybe him being my favorite is a manifestation of my idiot blood :P

Benten's mysterious aura still captivates me but I hope they payoff on it by the end of the series. Not even going to try guessing why she cries at Frogbro's well because there are so many possible reasons you could choose right now...

Lol I just had to quote you on that, we all make wierd choices in life, but that's just a manifestation of our idiot blood, I love that quote.

This was such a relaxing episode, before I watched it, I was really tense and tired, but after Yodogawa and Yasaburo's conversation, I was put at ease. I'm not sure, maybe I can just relate to their odd choices, but I really enjoyed this. Although I wonder why Benten was crying at that well.
Aug 11, 2013 10:00 AM

May 2013
I really want to know why she started crying at the end.
Aug 11, 2013 10:31 AM

Jul 2012
Good episode!!!
Aug 11, 2013 10:55 AM

Jan 2010
I like how every episode reveals bits and pieces of the bigger picture that makes up this story. My questions are slowly being answered. At least now I'm sure that it's not a fault on my part that I didn't quite understand the first couple episodes :P I'm glad I kept watching.

"Frog in a well" -- I'm liking this philosophical talk.
Aug 11, 2013 11:26 AM

Mar 2012
I really liked the BGM during the rooftop "chase" scene (repeated later during Yasaburou's parting with the professor). Weird, cause I hardly ever notice the BGMs - I can't even tell if this one appeared in the show before. The only other BGMs that aren't character leitmotifs that I can recall like that are Welcome to the Chu-2 byo world! from Chuu-2-koi and \(^o^)/ from OreImo.

An alright episode overall, more background info and bizarre interactions. But with all the talk of eating and love I'm starting to fear that this may end up turning into "vore the anime".
Aug 11, 2013 11:28 AM

Dec 2012
Can't believe the episode passed so quickly!

As much as I am burning with curiosity what happened exactly with the father

I appreciate the pace of revealing the mystery bit by bit, without sprinkling cheap melodrama over the place.

Benten indeed has been a subject of significant change - practically, spirited away by Tengu Sensei, some deal with Souichirou about this initiation thing for joining the Friday Fellows Club, and currently - the teasing, exotic, sad, and (wow) scary bearer of a goddess name:

Kaisei, on the other hand, is shown more involved in the story - it's hard to imagine how many times she helped with her bizarre transformation practice from the shadows.

Benten's story would probably fall back while the elections for Nise-Emon are taking place, but there's a chance to see the real Kaisei (maybe).
Aug 11, 2013 11:32 AM

Jul 2012
Does anyone know the piano instrumental during most of this episode, i really loved it

Aug 11, 2013 11:55 AM
Dec 2012
the scenes with the autumn trees were so gorgeous
Aug 11, 2013 12:17 PM

Jan 2012
There's something wrong with having a nice little chat with the one who's going to eat you...
Also I was thinking... couldn't the dad have escaped?
Aug 11, 2013 12:25 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Lyrisia said:
There's something wrong with having a nice little chat with the one who's going to eat you...

His dad was very Zen. Like he said, ending up being tasty is a befitting end for him since he already lived a full life.

I think this concept is quite hard to grasp for normal people... It's a very Zen view on life and death.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 11, 2013 12:30 PM
Jul 2012
Approaching the halfway point, and it's already by far the best show PA Works has made.
Aug 11, 2013 12:41 PM

Sep 2009
It becomes more and more twisted. But I like it. Kaisei's "human" form(or at least tanuki form) is even more of a mystery than Uiharu's ESP in Railgun was.
Aug 11, 2013 12:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
wakka9ca said:
Lyrisia said:

His dad was very Zen. Like he said, ending up being tasty is a befitting end for him since he already lived a full life.

I think this concept is quite hard to grasp for normal people... It's a very Zen view on life and death.

Yeah I really enjoyed the lengthy talk between Yasaburou and the professor, it's a very different view on things, and I don't think it's just "the manifestation of his (whether the prof or the father) idiot blood." It's really thought provoking, and I was pondering why, like Yasaburo, I don't dislike Benten or the prof either for eating Yasaburou's father. I really like this anime's overall atmosphere, it's really calm, feels kind of nostalgic, and at the same time, a little mystical. The bgm is beautiful and very fitting as always, I find myself liking every single song. Like everyone else, I wonder why Benten is crying, and by the well no less. Maybe she does want someone to notice? After all, she knows that Yajirou lives in the well. Oh and Kaisei. Didn't expect her to show up and help Yasaburou out :) Does she like him?
Aug 11, 2013 1:43 PM

Jul 2012
Amazing, simply amazing anime.
Aug 11, 2013 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
After watching this episode I finally clicked that the Humans (apart from Benten) are unaware that Tanuki are sentinent and can actually talk. The professor seemed to think that Yasaburou's performance was some parlour trick and that Benten could do the same.

If that is true then I can see why the Tanuki see Benten with such fear as she is fully aware yet participates in this 'Friday Fellows'
Aug 11, 2013 2:22 PM

Jan 2012
Another good episode.
and lol ningen banzai \(^_^)/
Aug 11, 2013 3:35 PM

Jan 2008
Kind of surprising to learn that Benten was kidnapped when she was younger by Akadama, essentially robbing her of her normal future. But now I'm glad she kicked him to the curb after gaining the skills and power/influence that surpasses him, and supposedly everyone else in Kyoto. Akadama can stay a decrepit old man until he dies.

I can't seem to bring myself to hate Benton for partaking in the death of Yasaburou's dad, as she seems regretful of it even now.

And that professor that ate Shimogamo dad, is such damn a hypocrite. It's like eating your pet beloved cat or dog because you love them so much; how does that make any sense? Hope he gets killed and eaten by some wild beast.

As for the election for the next Nise-emon, I hope one of the Shimogamo siblings take the title, especially after the Ebisugawa nearly killed them by trashing their party with firework canons.
Aug 11, 2013 3:52 PM

Oct 2009
love the ending quote

"I was pretty much a frog in a well, knowing nothing of the sea" ... great ep
Aug 11, 2013 4:30 PM
Oct 2012
Moon_River said:
love the ending quote

It's an ancient Chinese expression, it Japanese it goes:
井の中の蛙大海を知らず which literally means "Frog in the Well, Great sea knows not."

A great show answers some mysteries, but then gives more for us to enjoy. In this episode we found out who Benten is, but now we have a question about what the father was up to:

Benten is Kaguya, the moon princess, forever outside and by herself. A human who is no longer human, a tengu who is not really a tengu, her best friend is a tanuki who doesn't want to be just a tanuki, who she has betrayed twice, she sees in herself as the moon, alone in the night. The first betrayal was when she tricked Yasaburo into becoming the "Great Demon Cedar" tree (which shows that Yasaburo can transform as well as his father), this caused some sort of accident that caused Akadama to be paralyzed and Yasaburo's guilt. She joined the Friday club because she wanted to be accepted by some humans, but in achieving that she ended up betraying Yasaburo much more deeply, which is why she cannot enjoy being in the Club and always leaves early and why she has changed. She is full of self-loathing, which is why she has joined the bad Tengu and hangs out with the Yebisugawa.

Souichirou's role in this is the new mystery. He obviously knew who Benten was, he immediately silenced himself when she woke up because otherwise she would have known he was her friend's father. There is something there that we don't know yet, why did he sacrifice himself. His explanation to Hotei was inadequate, there is something more going on. What we will need to find out.

Anyway great episode, every week has great animation and something or another that is wonderful to watch.
Aug 11, 2013 4:38 PM

Nov 2009
"This isn't limited to tanuki. I will eat all the cutie-patooties."

This line aside, what they were talking about was interesting. I'd love to have a conversation with someone like the professor.
Shimogamo Soichiro has the same VA as Masaoka Tomomi from Psycho-Pass, if I'm not mistaken.
And I hope they finally show us how Kaisei looks like.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2013 5:21 PM
Dec 2012
LOL@the professor. He is above my head. That disappearance scene of Benten was intriguing. So were her waterworks. Maybe she missed good old days that she could no longer go back to? Those froggy brothers were adorable. That scene was poetic.

An old well,
Tears drip in,
Sound of water
Aug 11, 2013 6:29 PM

May 2013
Lyrisia said:

Probably, Socrates could also have fled his execution, but he saw bigger value in his death.

And that professor that ate Shimogamo dad, is such damn a hypocrite. It's like eating your pet beloved cat or dog because you love them so much; how does that make any sense?

Have you ever pet your dog? Has he ever bared his neck to you while doing so? That the utmost display of love a dog can show to his master, since he is offering his life to you, he is saying "you can kill me here and now (and eat me if you must)" since in their mind's eye any predator can kill them in an instant if they are immobile and their neck is bared and they recognize us as the ultimate predators.

p.s.

One correction, it is not "idiot's blood", the OP clearly stares "Blood of Fool". It might seem the same thing, but I think it is a reference to the Tarot Card

mangamuscleAug 11, 2013 6:42 PM
Aug 11, 2013 6:48 PM

Oct 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
Moon_River said:
love the ending quote

It's an ancient Chinese expression, it Japanese it goes:
井の中の蛙大海を知らず which literally means "Frog in the Well, Great sea knows not."

A great show answers some mysteries, but then gives more for us to enjoy. In this episode we found out who Benten is, but now we have a question about what the father was up to:

Benten is Kaguya, the moon princess, forever outside and by herself. A human who is no longer human, a tengu who is not really a tengu, her best friend is a tanuki who doesn't want to be just a tanuki, who she has betrayed twice, she sees in herself as the moon, alone in the night. The first betrayal was when she tricked Yasaburo into becoming the "Great Demon Cedar" tree (which shows that Yasaburo can transform as well as his father), this caused some sort of accident that caused Akadama to be paralyzed and Yasaburo's guilt. She joined the Friday club because she wanted to be accepted by some humans, but in achieving that she ended up betraying Yasaburo much more deeply, which is why she cannot enjoy being in the Club and always leaves early and why she has changed. She is full of self-loathing, which is why she has joined the bad Tengu and hangs out with the Yebisugawa.

Souichirou's role in this is the new mystery. He obviously knew who Benten was, he immediately silenced himself when she woke up because otherwise she would have known he was her friend's father. There is something there that we don't know yet, why did he sacrifice himself. His explanation to Hotei was inadequate, there is something more going on. What we will need to find out.

Anyway great episode, every week has great animation and something or another that is wonderful to watch.

Ah, thanks for the info ... good synopsis as well
Aug 11, 2013 7:05 PM

Jul 2012
I asked a person who already read the novel, and he said that Kaisei's human form still hasn't revealed yet, she only appeared in her Tanuki form.
Aug 11, 2013 7:41 PM

Mar 2013

Closest thing to the bgm that plays at the end right before the ED song
Aug 11, 2013 8:48 PM

Nov 2012
Yasaburou's father accepted his death gracefully and honorably imo.Respect him because of that.

Yasaburou wonder why he doesn't hate the professor,I mean sure he saved his mom but he also eat his dad.But he really likes him though.Yasaburou also mention he has a crush on Benten too,and wonders why?

In the end everything is just a "manifestation of our idiot blood."

"I was pretty much a frog in a well, knowing nothing of the sea" really like and found that quote to be quite deep.Really like Takuan_Soho's synopsis too on it possibly meaning/significant.

Actually felt bad at the end when Benten was crying ;.;
VanishingKiraAug 11, 2013 10:24 PM
Aug 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Apr 2011
I'm really enjoying the different perspectives between the characters and the foregoing of absolutes. The setting is simply amazing as well.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Aug 11, 2013 9:10 PM

Aug 2012
Really well done ending, big development points for Benten and Yasaburo at the same time.

Takuan is right, Souichirou's silence when Benten woke up is surely going to be expounded upon, definitely more to that.
Aug 11, 2013 9:24 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode. Love the soundtrack.

It's still weird for humans to eat such intelligent and magical shape-shifting creatures.
Aug 11, 2013 9:55 PM

May 2013
I really like the OST.

Those conversations are nice to watch.
"It's a manifestation of our idiot blood."

Aww, Benten's crying. I wonder why.

Overall, this was a beautiful episode.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Aug 11, 2013 10:20 PM

Jul 2012
Why is this anime so good? It's so good. Really good. I always end each episode with a satisfied feeling, as if I made good use of the 24min I spent to watch this show.
Aug 11, 2013 11:22 PM
Jan 2013
One big wtf when Benten was spirited away; I was hoping for some sort of half human half tengu parental back story, now it just seems she was kidnapped by a pervy tengu

I particularly like their discussion on the Zen Way of Life. Yasuburou might not understand yet, but everything is connected in this world, almost like 'destiny'. Sure it sucks tanuki get eaten by humans bc humans don;t understand their sentient but I feel like all animals naturally get eaten (or die on their own) as a way of life. Death is inevitable, but those that think 'the Zen way of life' are willing to die and become nourishment for the upper food chain. As the professor mentions

dying to become food is a less lonely way to go out knowing that your death is basically helping(feeding/nourishing) someone else [who might or might not need it]

any clever tanuki would be able to get out of that cage in a quick transformation, but those that don't might be willingly sacrificing themselves as food knowing their time in life is up and just want to die naturally (kinda like old people ;P)

what I still don;t understand is why the professor is so quirky, he can handle holding Benten's hand and drifting through the air but he CAN't ImAGine TanUKi tALKing?????????? either he knows he's high as fuck or he's just past the point of caring about the supernatural.
Suzune-chanJan 9, 2014 1:43 PM
Aug 12, 2013 12:02 AM
Nov 2012
nyansensei said:
what I still don;t understand is why the professor is so quirky, he can handle holding Benten's hand and drifting through the air but he CAN't ImAGine TanUKi tALKing?????????? either he knows he's high as fuck or he's just past the point of caring about the supernatural.

His encounter with the talking tanuki happened during his first meeting with Benten and hence, before he knew that she could fly. So, perhaps meeting a talking tanuki was his first glimpse into the supernatural and now he's had more exposure so he isn't as easily surprised, even by a flying human.
Aug 12, 2013 12:08 AM
Nov 2012
mangamuscle said:
p.s.

One correction, it is not "idiot's blood", the OP clearly stares "Blood of Fool". It might seem the same thing, but I think it is a reference to the Tarot Card

It always bugs me when subbing groups change something that is very clearly laid out as something different, like when a character says something in English and the subs have it written as something roughly synonymous yet different. In this case 'blood of fool' is awkward but instead of saying 'idiot blood', they could have subbed it as 'the blood of the fool'.

After reading the wiki page about the fool, I think you are right, it is a reference to the fool in tarot and not just your run of the mill idiot.
Aug 12, 2013 12:10 AM

Feb 2009
These last few episodes in particular have been really beautifully executed. The pacing is so pitch perfect at letting you take in everything both visually and verbally. I'm really impressed with this show.
Aug 12, 2013 12:35 AM

May 2012
Best color palette 2013.

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Aug 12, 2013 1:09 AM

Jul 2009
That professor is a bit too much into vore. D;
Aug 12, 2013 2:23 AM

Sep 2011
omfg Dad's last moments before he was eaten was really nice, his convo with Yodogawa and all. almost teared up seeing Yasaburou's face after Yodogawa's story ended

the piano in this episode was epic

i feel like this anime can go forever without any exciting conflict whatsoever
Aug 12, 2013 3:08 AM

Jan 2013
Good episode.
Dat Benten crying.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 12, 2013 4:39 AM
Oct 2011
Warm fuzzy feelings...
Aug 12, 2013 4:57 AM

Jan 2012
That was a really nice and relaxing episode, wonder why Benten was crying. Guessing things aren't as simple as they seem
Aug 12, 2013 5:48 AM

May 2013
Tofudemon said:
the scenes with the autumn trees were so gorgeous

i think benten was crying behind that autumn trees so she tell him to stay away or else she will eat him...

(i guess) nice ep 5/5
Aug 12, 2013 5:59 AM

Dec 2012
shouldn't it be actually impossible to catch a tanuki? they can even transform into objects! it should be no problem for them to escape somehow - turning into an object or just a simple fly. so i'm a bit confused that tanuki hot pot doesn't seem to be that rare.

i also really hope that there's some bigger mystery about benten. right now there are two weird things. a) she says she loves tanuki, but on the other hand she nearly seems to have an unstoppable urge to eat them; b) she cries and seems really sad.

scruffykiwi said:
After watching this episode I finally clicked that the Humans (apart from Benten) are unaware that Tanuki are sentinent and can actually talk. The professor seemed to think that Yasaburou's performance was some parlour trick and that Benten could do the same.

If that is true then I can see why the Tanuki see Benten with such fear as she is fully aware yet participates in this 'Friday Fellows'
same here. i also didn't realize before that humans are not aware of the fact that tanuki can talk in their natural form.
Aug 12, 2013 7:34 AM

May 2013
nyansensei said:

This might be a stretch, but:

1. The professor was already drunk (This friday fellows reunions are little more than eat-n-drink sessions), even tough he could "hold his liquour" like a pro and still do some athletic jumps, that does not mean his mind was able to interpret what he saw as a sober man would.

2. Benten does not do the Superman kind of flying, she gracefully seems to jump (somehow like astronauts on the moon did) and when she helped both of them on that insanely long jump, the professor said (in the subs I watched) "You're one active lady, Benten" seeming to imply he felt she had just jumped. That would require an insane amount of strength, but maybe Benten IS also insanely strong, pulling a whale by the tail would have that requirement, if she only had flying power the whale would have slapped her away like a mosquito. In most people minds is it easier to believe someone is inhumanely strong than believing a human can fly (or that animals can talk). This would also explain why Yasaburo made no attempt whatsoever to break free from her hands when she found him, it would be futile and she might have broken him in the struggle.

p.s. Anyone else feels that after Benten got her revenge on the professor she realized that is what the old tengu wanted all along, to make her more devious than himself, as in those samurai flicks where the pupil must kill his master as a final test. Therefore she must feel empty inside, the taste of revenge becoming sour in her mouth.
mangamuscleAug 12, 2013 10:19 AM
Aug 12, 2013 10:54 AM

Jul 2011
Fantastic episode! Now we know a little more about what really happened to his father, seems that he had agreed to be eaten.

Yasaburou finally clearly said he is in love with Benten and he believes himself to be crazy because she ate his father. But he had previously said an interesting thing that she is no longer the human named Satomi Suzuki that he knew in the past, she has completely changed.

The conversation between Yasaburou and the professor was very interesting and in fact I agree with almost everything he said. And to finish in the best way the scene where Benten cries, so beautiful!
Aug 12, 2013 1:27 PM

Jul 2010
So little happening, yet it keeps being interesting. Such beautiful scenes.

Aug 12, 2013 2:35 PM

May 2012
meatycheesyboy said:
mangamuscle said:
p.s.

It always bugs me when subbing groups change something that is very clearly laid out as something different, like when a character says something in English and the subs have it written as something roughly synonymous yet different. In this case 'blood of fool' is awkward but instead of saying 'idiot blood', they could have subbed it as 'the blood of the fool'.

After reading the wiki page about the fool, I think you are right, it is a reference to the fool in tarot and not just your run of the mill idiot.

I do not think that a reference to tarot makes a whole lot of sense in an anime that is primarily concerned with Japanese mythology. Furthermore it is not "very clearly laid out" as the OP is full of bad English that should not be taken as canon. "Idiot's blood" is a good translation of what the characters are saying; it's not like they're saying "burado avu za fooru" or something.
yuridiceAug 12, 2013 3:59 PM

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

106 by Karva1 »»
May 10, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2013

185 by Karva1 »»
May 10, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.