Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Genshiken
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 12, 2013 5:10 AM

Aug 2012
Also love the Way they keep the old Character ... ill just get used to the new voice .. awwww... i can't just love this!
"I don't like Megane, I love them"

Jul 13, 2013 3:34 AM

Apr 2013
After watching Genshiken , Genshiken OVA , & Genshiken 2 i grew accustomed to all the character's VA. It was pretty weird for me to jump to Nidiame and hear all the New VA's replacing the old cast ( especially madarame's which was kinda too deep and missed that squeakyness madarame had whenever he spoke). Anyways it doesn't really matter that much now that most of the old Genshiken crew have just supporting roles. The character design for Ohno-san was tweaked a bit maybe on the face :/ but its okay ,i mean it has been years since Genshiken 2 aired and animation has changed ever since. First episode was pretty cool , introduction to the new characters and that suprising revelation of Hato-kun being a cross dresser when i thought Yajima was actually a guy with big man boobs o__o . As a fellow Genshiken fan i'll keep watching and see how it goes this season.
Jul 13, 2013 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
I just can't watch this without the old VA, will switch to the manga
Jul 14, 2013 2:54 PM

Oct 2009
My Sue level has hit the roof.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jul 14, 2013 9:55 PM

Mar 2013
am i the only one who finding the improved animation weird? it is probably just because i am so used to the old animation
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 15, 2013 3:01 AM

Nov 2010
Kuchiki almost had his Harem

Liked the reference as well

2 bad for the cast change, I miss Madarame's voice
Jul 15, 2013 11:00 PM

Apr 2013
That new animation/10 lovin it, and all that Bakemonogatari references? pretty hilarious!
Jul 18, 2013 3:58 PM

Jan 2010
I thought Yajima was gonna be a guy omg
i'll probably watch the other two series afterwards
Jul 21, 2013 4:39 PM

Aug 2008
Ahhh, so they aren't going to bother to animate the rest of Genshiken where they left off after the second season? Hell, Ogiue and Sasahara hadn't even gotten together yet :(

I'm glad to see Sue is her usual self though for some reason I'd love to see her throw more English at Madarame, his confused look is amusing. :)
Jul 22, 2013 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
I didn't recognized ogiue with her new hair style so now is a fujoshi club favorite new member: hato <3 and it was nice to see Rararame senpai again :,)

shin-angelJul 22, 2013 5:00 PM
Jul 23, 2013 11:08 AM

Dec 2008
A good start, but I have to say that things are slightly different from the manga and the previous season. It was my interpretation of the Manga that the POV of the first chapter of the relaunch was from the viewpoint of Yoshitake and Yajima, but in this episode it's obviously from the viewpoint of Ogiue. I can understand why that is the case, since Ogiue is a character we already know, and a large focus of the Genshiken 2. I guess I just have to adjust my view and come to understand the same situations from a different viewpoint.

I wish they brought the original voice actor of Madarame back, as the new voice actor changes how I view the character. With the deeper voice, he seems more serious. Perhaps this is due to Madarame getting into his job more, and all that. Either way, I hope the new voice actor does as good of a job as the previous one. It was also great seeing the interaction between Madarame and Saki. I will continue to read Spotted Flower, and hope the best for Madarame in the manga.
Jul 28, 2013 12:22 PM

Dec 2008
Genshiken has always been a nice slice of life anime, not to sure about the new cast though. Guess I need more time to get used to them.
Jul 31, 2013 4:32 PM

Feb 2008
I'm happy that Fukuyama is going with the voice of Inukamis mc for this one.

Voices might take sometime to get used to, but i haven't seen the first two seasons of genshiken in years, but i re-read the manga just yeasterday to prepare.

It's not a bad start.
Aug 2, 2013 6:00 PM
Aug 2010
Anyone know why the changed all the voice actors? I don't have a problem with these voice actors themselves (except for Jun Fukuyama, really doesn't match that character) but it just feels weird to hear different voices on the same characters. Even if the production company is different, they can still hire the same VA.

You can see Sue watching Bakemonogatari early in the episode. Also, the "There's no way a girl this cute can be a guy" is a Steins Gate reference.

Was Yoshitake that cute in the manga? Now she's got both looks and personality.

Lastly, the anime just re-affirms my gayness for Hato.
BobjonesAug 2, 2013 6:07 PM
Aug 3, 2013 11:04 AM

Jan 2012
Stark700 said:

So adorable. I hope to see more references later on in the upcoming episodes as well!

I had to pause my video after this scene, couldn't stop laughing at the reference!!! >_______<
Sep 18, 2013 2:58 PM

Jul 2008
To those asking if they need to have seen the original series first before venturing into this; yes, of course. It's a sequel. If you're even moderately interested in the premise, then I can't fathom why starting from the beginning is such taboo. Go watch the originals first, or miss out on a ton otaku entertainment and character development that will give voice, presence and depth to both the former and current main cast alike.

As for the episode, it just seemed a little off to me. Very rushed and bland. Way too soon to bring back most of the original cast, too. I liked that the manga made us wait while establishing the new generation of Genshiken. The new voices, too, will take a little getting used to. I haven't watched the original series in years but they still seem off. I hope it picks up from here on; I love Genshiken. The original series and the manga will always be some of my all-time favourites.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 5, 2013 4:29 PM

May 2012
Pretty weird start I must say for a reason this doesn't feel right for a reason? Hmm either way lets see what this season will show us!
Oct 11, 2013 4:11 AM

Oct 2008
This was a really fun first episode.
It's been almost 5 years since I've watched the previous Genshiken seasons, and I still remember every single character and what they're like..
Feb 10, 2014 9:16 AM

Mar 2013
As a Genshiken fan I must say that I'm very disappointed. Putting aside the horrible idea to skip out Ogiue x Sasa development and everything else in between the transition, the real killer here is the Mass Seiyu change. Honestly I think it's nearly criminal. Hiyama, Nobuyuki is one of my favorite Va's (Hiei from YYH, Viral TTGL, Madarame Bleach etc) and he did a great job with Madarame in Season 1/OVA/Season 2. Replacing him with the unknown Okitsu, Kazuyuki is nearly unbearable. Losing all the other seiyu is devastating as well, but ridiculously that makes the huge downside of our former main characters taking a backseat more tolerable, since as is in my mind they are sorta "false". Even The one "upgrade" in star power, namely Fukuyama, Jun for Kuchiki is a poor fit. Jun is one of my favorites, but he doesn't remotely correlate to a character like Kuchiki as displayed in the originals (EDIT- After watching a bit more it seems Jun's skill is so great that he can pull it off). In short the murder of the old Va's is an abomination.

The new animation may seem like a positive, however characters like Saki became drastically less attractive. Being nay unrecognizable, compounded by having a new Va, completely destroys all the build up from the past seasons and leaves us with impostors. Ogiue is now unrecognizable to me, literally. Multiple times i had no idea who she was, and without being able to rely on voices anymore..

The Monogatari references are solid, but as a fan of both Kujibiki Unbalance i had some difficulty recognizing the poster references due to the notable differences .

I rarely drop series, and since i have not tackled the manga i am even more loath to do, but this one has me seriously tempted. The new characters being uninteresting certainly don't help matters. Not having the former main characters around makes it borderline unbearable, and the Nisemono Ogiue and Ohno doesn't remedy things.
SlickDFeb 10, 2014 9:40 AM
Mar 9, 2014 6:47 AM

May 2008
Changing Madarame's voice is like denying his whole existence :(
CCL_SamaMar 9, 2014 7:43 AM
May 10, 2014 1:48 PM
Aug 2007
Aghhhhhhh, the voices... make them stop :'(

Having just marathoned the entirety of Genshiken, this feels far too different. What happened since the end of Genshiken 2? Why have we missed out on Sasa x Ogi relationship buildup? Wasn't Ohno the president?

Speaking of Ohno, she looks too different and her voice is weird. And Madarame's VA is what made him so good, this new guy is too mellow. And Saki looks soooooooo different and not as attractive at all.

*Siiigh* really sad that there have been so many VA changes. Even Kukichi doesn't sound right, and when he suddenly started to talk like Lelouch in his deep and serious voice, it felt completely off character.
Jun 21, 2014 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
I have to say, I agree with those last few comments. As I just finished re-reading the manga up to 100 I decided to re-watch the anime form the beginning before I watched the Nidiame. I was so disappointed to hear the new VA's. They really don't fit. Madarame and Kuchiki's voice makes them sound like totally different people. The animation is off, Ohno looks just wrong, and so does Kasukabe. From someone who followed the manga first the change of look in Oguie is fine but without the right voice just feels funny. These are the impressions I got from just watching the 1st episode so I will persevere but if all else fails I have always got the manga! (Why the hell did they skip Sasa x Ogi build up?!!)
Sep 25, 2014 12:31 AM

Feb 2013
Genshiken is back! I miss the old voices though. I think they were better. Maybe I'll get use to this. In the OP I thougt Ogiue was drawing Sousuke from "Full Metal Panic!". That obvious Monogatari reference! And IT'S A TRAP! Damn it! Also I think I heard a Oreimo reference. Great start!
Dec 30, 2014 10:48 PM

Nov 2011
New Studio, better studio actually, art and animation is great, but why did they change the VA? the former ones were perfect, i've also been waiting for the vacation trip when Oguie and Sasahara hooked up but it looks like it's been skipped, still hoping to see it as a flashback or something.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 17, 2015 3:15 AM
Sep 2009
While Oguie is drawing to attract new members...

Mar 1, 2015 6:11 AM

Nov 2011
What the fuck happened? Nooo! A wicked alike, should not make me! After the first few minutes of loss due to the many changes, those fans will have understood what I mean, I found still pleasant narration that despite everything is nice and full of quotations.
The new change of pace is seen heavily in the study of production that makes under the technical and graphic quality as this anime very different designs and animations.
Great scenery, nice opening and ending; for the soundtrack await the next episodes to evaluate it.
I hate the new dubbing given to the historical characters of Genshiken.
May 1, 2015 10:09 PM

Mar 2013
I'm still recovering from the change of seiyuu, not quite "adapted' yet
Jun 4, 2015 8:15 PM

Jan 2010

I doubt Ogiue has enough staying power to be the face of Genshiken Second Gen, but she's sure as hell trying.

But yeah, um, that's an alarming amount of Monogatari. Senjougahara on the television, the Arararararararagi and Hachikuji comedy routine, and the Shinobu cosplay, wow. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's...umm...an interesting choice. Anyways, I believe Ohno's cosplay was a Kinnikuman reference, so at least, things feel updated for 2013. It's not all from the same pool of references, so that's nice.

It was nice seeing most of the old gang together, even for a moment, but it is odd how this truly feels like a new series. As in, the comedy is faster, the animation is more lively and varied, the the art itself can match any other show from recent years. Well, the last point may mean that it's homogeneous with recent shows, but at least, the updated art does the most in making it feel new. And oh, I just checked. Production I.G. How about that.
Jan 31, 2016 7:48 PM

Dec 2012
I really like that Ohno actively tries, in her own way, to make Hato feel a bit more confortable, instead of letting things get out of hand. The old Genshiken crew are apparently fine with him as well. Even Kuchiki kinda helps there.

The new girl Yoshiyake seems to be a quite fun. I speciall like the trollish face she makes when they're asking Madarame and Sasahara which of the new members is crossdressing.

Yajima on the other hand... well, I guess I'll keep watching to see if her annoyed attitude is selective towards certain individuals or a natural trait of hers.
TulicloureJan 31, 2016 8:00 PM
Dec 10, 2016 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
I loved it!
This has the potential to be the best season.
Two more girls + a crossdresser.
Jul 31, 2017 6:46 AM

Oct 2012

FukuJun replacing Ishida Akira's voice.. Hmmmmmm
Ogiue looked so different
Ohno is... oh noooo her voice, I'm way used to Saber's voice.. Yukana's is not bad, but still different :(

Lol
That
Hachikuji and Ararararararagi's reference
Too many monogatari references.. I can't xD

Suddenly Ogiue and Sasayan already a couple
Poor Madarame.. Oh well, at least he still have air time
Rayl1ghtAug 1, 2017 6:42 AM
"Signature removed"
Feb 7, 2018 12:45 PM
Mar 2016
orz_anime_seiei said:
broodo has right.

look at my profil. I have geshinken as number 3 in my best anime list favourite ect.

I just love "geshinken", but this new series is not old beautiful geshinkenem. It's not the climate, the otaku. This becomes a series of gender-bender, and it does not define an otaku. Too bad. For me, this anime is a profanation of and get up in advance the lowest rating.

As if it was a new separate series, then I would call it a nice comedy.

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who thought like this. I was really excited about the third season. I cooked rice and made a nice chocolate smoothie to go along with the anime. Well, what a dissapointment it was (not the meal).

This new Genshiken doesn't have the spirit of the old Genshiken. Sasahara fucked up really bad when he chose Oono to be his successor. It has barely been a year with women in charge, and the club already fell into the bottom of Dante's Inferno. It seems like Sasahara lost both balls in his girlfriend's pussy. Seriously, where are the new men? I guess the university changed their policy to accept only applicants who either are women or wish they were.

I'm surprised by how many fans did actually enjoy this (imo) bastardization. This is not the Genshiken I want to join. DROP.
NipparaFeb 7, 2018 1:14 PM
Jan 28, 2022 9:39 PM

Jan 2020
It’s an okay start to the new series; the art by IG is nice and glad that some of the staff from season one and OVA reprised their roles. But it’s hard to connect to the anime cause the whole cast change. Like the replacements aren’t bad voice actors, but it feels odd due to the old cast fitting their characters so well. Should’ve just kept the original cast imo, and just replace who weren’t able to reprise their respective role.
Apr 24, 2022 12:42 AM

Aug 2020
Decent start... but it's just not the same as it was before in many ways.

Sue was funny though.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

May 16, 2022 5:17 PM

Sep 2018
Sue's Monogatari references were hilarious, I'm surprised I picked up on the "Shinobu sitting on the ground" scene as well... Monogatari series is definitely on my rewatch list.

Looks like the misogynists won't like this season though lmao.... Now there's more women than men and a lot of them fancy BL, cry more lol. I heard the author did this purposefully, because of all the whining about it in S2 hahaha...
Sep 15, 2022 12:34 AM

Jan 2020
Based on the specials alone, this could end up being an extremely yaoi-forward season.

I will say, I can't believe Kuchiki is still here. What is he studying? What year is he in? How has he not graduated yet?

I mean, in a way, isn't cross-dressing like cosplaying? I'm not so sure Hato has a leg to stand on when it comes to Ohno's desires.

The art and animation are really improved from the previous seasons. Not that it was ever all that bad, but it's just a nice little addition.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 15, 2022 7:24 AM

Mar 2013
Great first episode as well as the theme songs.

P.S. I'm not fond of traps that much so I'll just think he is a she and ignore it.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 12, 2023 1:32 PM

Oct 2022
Okay first episode. I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of diversity for female otaku. Not all female otaku are hardcore fujoshi. -_- 
Mar 4, 2023 1:24 AM
Nov 2015
very enjoyable and many interesting character to watch
Aug 15, 2023 12:48 AM
ε­”ηœŸγƒ»γ‚³γ‚¦γƒžγ‚³γƒˆ

Jun 2017
Yes, this show is now complete in my eyes! If there's anything it was missing this whole time, it's a cross-dresser and now that's fulfilled too. Thanks to Madarame-san, looks like that streak will continue as well, lmao. Got to give it to Sue-chan to find the most unconventional answers. Both the other new members seem interesting as well, especially the hyper one. 

What a start to the season, lol. Definitely looking forward to seeing what else is in store for me...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 9, 2023 4:05 PM

Dec 2019
errrr I do not like this new cast lol im sorry, I might still continue because I love the OG Genshiken atmosphere that hasn't changed and I especially love the settings. Poor Madarame still hung up on Saki, he'll never recover
Jan 1, 6:32 PM

Feb 2019
it's a weird circle, but also kinda fun
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

89 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 2, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

91 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

38 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.