Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 17, 2013 3:11 PM

Jan 2012
It was interesting at the beginning, had some great mysteries and relations to be solved but it disappointed me a lot. More than half of characters I found childish and annoying or simply uninteresting.
After 20 episodes I guessed correct about 90 percent what will happen next so I was often bored. In my opinion its way overrated and doesn't deserve to be in at least top 30.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 2013 3:14 PM

Jan 2012
I only kinda agree...in the sense that when I was watching it I liked it but wasn't into it...if you can get what I mean...
Feb 17, 2013 3:15 PM

Jan 2013
Probably one of few.
Feb 17, 2013 3:15 PM
Jul 2012
You not alone
Feb 17, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2010
Yes you are the only one on this site that has an opposite opinion about a popular and highly rated anime on this site. Any more questions?
Feb 17, 2013 3:25 PM

Jun 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
Yes you are the only one on this site that has an opposite opinion about a popular and highly rated anime on this site. Any more questions?

I would like to reinforce this post as much as humanly possible. I can also state for a fact that we never ever see nearly identical threads like this for pretty much every popular series. Never.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 17, 2013 3:26 PM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal Alchemist is not over rated.

Even me, who is usually the epitome of confrontational has to admit that Fullmetal Alchemist is awesome.
Feb 17, 2013 3:29 PM

Mar 2012
Once again people failed to see there is exist something called opinion.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 17, 2013 3:31 PM
Jan 2011
Yes. You're the only one, you unique snowflake
Feb 17, 2013 3:31 PM

Feb 2012
You should've watched the original.
Feb 18, 2013 5:07 AM

Feb 2013
You may not be the only one, but I definitely disagree with you.

In my own ranking, it's my #1 favourite of all time. I already re-watched it 3 times but every time it was awesome. I won't re-watch it again of course because it will just get boring.

But judging on my first time experience with FMA, it was simply the greatest anime in history. It was the first anime that got me so addicted. I remember when I watched I even tried a transmutation xD. I even looked some tutorials how to draw the transmutation circle (I was 14 back then).

I can never say that a show that gave me so great memories is overrated, but rather underrated.
Feb 18, 2013 5:10 AM

Nov 2012
It's your loss for liking it less.
Feb 20, 2013 9:52 PM
Feb 2013
You are not alone. I watched Fullmetal Alchemist a long time ago and loved it. I felt it was put together a little badly towards the end, but the overall plot was just so good.
What I couldn't accept about Brotherhood was the characters. The anime is put together much better than the first one even though I do prefer many pieces of the story from the first one. I found some parts in Brotherhood too unbelievable. They just seemed so odd. The characters though... Armstrong was a joke in Brotherhood. He was just annoying and his sister was the same. In FMA I couldn't get enough of Armstrong. I can't help but feel it gets much more praise than it deserves simply because it was redone the way the maker intended it.
Feb 20, 2013 10:02 PM
Dec 2012
insan3soldiern said:

I would like to reinforce this post as much as humanly possible. I can also state for a fact that we never ever see nearly identical threads like this for pretty much every popular series. Never.

This thread reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.
Feb 20, 2013 10:07 PM

Dec 2009
sucks to have your brain.
Feb 20, 2013 10:47 PM
Dec 2012
What exactly is the point of this?Frankly speaking you want to go put this on every Gintama board in the world.While that show is an excellent watch its doesnt deserve to be no 1 on this site.That honor should belong to something like this or Clannad after story or steins gate or Bepop,i could go on and on
Feb 21, 2013 12:15 AM

Feb 2013
I'm glad I'm with the majority!
Feb 21, 2013 1:10 AM

Jun 2007
Am I the only one who thinks [your favorite anime] is overrated?

If you think it's overrated, rate it what you believe it should be and be done with it. These threads really provides nothing in terms of possible discussion.
Feb 21, 2013 2:43 AM

Apr 2010
I was about to post something informative, But I lost the reason just by seeing 3 of your Favourite animu.
Feb 21, 2013 3:01 AM

Oct 2011
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 21, 2013 11:56 PM

Nov 2011
Dumbass said:
I was about to post something informative, But I lost the reason just by seeing 3 of your Favourite animu.

Not to mention his favorite manga.

I'm pretty sure ALL of his favorites are prime offenders of the whole "LOL DEEP" thing. Granted, the first half of Death Note WAS great.

FMA: B's depth is not presented to you on a silver platter like say Elfen Lied. It's depth is subtle, and is something that you have to catch and then reflect on. It's depth also isn't pretentious or forced and it is not the plot itself that is deep. In truth I rolled my eyes a little at the ending, but I consider the whole thing a masterpiece because of the subtle way the characters change and the way the series makes you re-think the idea of the "7 deadly sins' being purely evil, among other great aspects of the series.
Feb 22, 2013 11:46 PM

Feb 2013
ecimir said:
In my opinion its way overrated and doesn't deserve to be in at least top 30.

Your opinion is shit and doesn't deserve its own thread.
Feb 22, 2013 11:56 PM

May 2010
We could say the Exact same thing about Death Note. started off good but turned to shit before halfway. Lets not say how overrated that show is....
Feb 23, 2013 8:38 AM
Dec 2012
You may be right, but I find FMA:B better than most anime shows out there. In fact, it happens to be one of my favorites... why?

Let's see...
It has more depth than most anime shows out there. It has an amazing cast, along with a lovable protagonist.
It invented such an interesting and deep history.
Part of the military freaking starts a revolution/coup d'teat towards the end of the story.
There's science in it. Law of Equivalent Exchange - Law of Conservation of Mass.
The homonoculus are based on the 7 deadly sins.
We get to see interactions between the Westerners and Easterners (Chinese).
The fights don't drag on with crappy, shonen dialogues and 20 minute power ups (ehhem, Bleach and Naruto)

And the list goes on. FMA:B is just awesome.

But everyone is subjected to their own opinion.
sometim3sFeb 23, 2013 8:42 AM
Feb 23, 2013 8:40 AM
Jul 2012
sometim3s said:
You may be right, but I find FMA:B better than most anime shows out there. In fact, it happens to be one of my favorites... why?

Let's see...
It has more depth than most anime shows out there. It has an amazing cast, along with a lovable protagonist.
It invented such an interesting history.
Part of the military freaking starts a revolution/coup d'teat towards the end of the story.
There's science in it. Law of Equivalent Exchange - Law of Conservation of Mass.
The homonoculus are based on the 7 deadly sins.
We get to see interactions between the Westerners and Easterners (Chinese).

And the list goes on. FMA:B is just awesome.

But everyone is subjected to their own opinion.

Ehhhh not really
Feb 23, 2013 9:44 AM

May 2012
Am i the only one who thinks Ecimir is overrated? Thumbs up if you agree!
Feb 23, 2013 10:15 AM

Jan 2012
I just dont seem to understand what so great in this show?
Plot ? Has some depth but predictable with a lot of boring episodes
Characters? huge cast of annoying characters
Action? Ok, but seen much better
Emotions? Very little and they are mostly joke
Fun? Interesting at the beginning but later couldn't wait to finish watching
I made this thread to see are there more people with similar thinking.

Some mentioned Death Note, I admit last third wasn't good as the rest of the anime, you cant kill great characters if you cant create new at least that good . But you must admit it is one of the best. Detective style mind game with one of the most badass characters. It has a moral dilema. What marks Death Note is a fast developing unpredictable plot. I watched guessing always what will happen next and was rarely bored. It has a lot of memorable scenes , unlike FMA i can think of 1 or 2 at least.
Feb 23, 2013 10:29 AM

Nov 2012
Dude if you dont like it nobody is going to make you. Just keep in mind that there are a lot who disagree and not all does people are retarded. If you don't like it than so be it nobody is going to change your mind.
Feb 23, 2013 10:34 AM

Nov 2010
ecimir said:
I just dont seem to understand what so great in this show?
Plot ? Has some depth but predictable with a lot of boring episodes
Characters? huge cast of annoying characters
Action? Ok, but seen much better
Fun? Interesting at the beginning but later couldn't wait to finish watching
In your opinion.

ecimir said:
I made this thread to see are there more people with similar thinking.
No you didn't, if you really wanted to know then all you had to do was go to this page and see that people agree with you. Find them, then cry about how you think it's overrated together.
Feb 23, 2013 10:35 AM

May 2012
ecimir said:

Some mentioned Death Note, I admit last third wasn't good as the rest of the anime, you cant kill great characters if you cant create new at least that good . But you must admit it is one of the best. Detective style mind game with one of the most badass characters. It has a moral dilema. What marks Death Note is a fast developing unpredictable plot. I watched guessing always what will happen next and was rarely bored. It has a lot of memorable scenes , unlike FMA i can think of 1 or 2 at least.

Are you really comparing FMA to Death Note? Death Note fell flat on its fucking face when they decided to kill off the coolest character (and not the most annoying; Misa Misa) Then the show just became dull and completely ridicules, at least until the final episode which was pretty good. On top of that Light Yagami is a pretty generic anti hero, you never really get to know him which makes it hard to care what happens to him.

I'd give Death Note an 8/10 at best

This thread = 1/10
who_dat_ninjaFeb 23, 2013 10:41 AM
Feb 23, 2013 10:35 AM
Oct 2011
FMA:B's last 15 episodes were painful to watch because of how predictable and generic they were, the first 20 were too rushed and failed to make me care about any of the characters. The episodes in-between had some interesting stuff, but they led to nothing interesting. Comedy was really overused and misplaced, especially the "chibi" joke, I facepalmed whenever I heard it. So, is FMA:B a "masterpiece' ? Action was good, animation was good, depth was there, characters were horrible, execution was horrible, world was left-out (would've loved if they focused a bit on the other countries and the struggle in the country in the east, but no, it's just 'there', and they're having problems), music was average. The series overall is a bit above average at best, for me at least.

I heard multiple times that the first series did a better job in introducing the characters and the whole atmosphere was better, so it makes me think that I would've liked it more if it did watch the first series, but, well, I don't really care anymore.

Btw, write what you thought of a series in this thread next time and see if anyone cares:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=325029&show=1240

Amberleh said:
Dumbass said:

I'm pretty sure ALL of his favorites are prime offenders of the whole "LOL DEEP" thing. Granted, the first half of Death Note WAS great.
Yeah, and Fairy Tail is the deepest thing ever created, isn't it?
Candor123Feb 23, 2013 10:45 AM
Feb 23, 2013 10:51 AM

Nov 2010
Candor said:
Amberleh said:
Dumbass said:

I don't recall Amberleh every saying it was deep, I actually recall her saying it's not deep. You can have a show as your favorite and not think it's deep, so what's your point.
Feb 23, 2013 11:02 AM
Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Candor said:
Amberleh said:
Dumbass said:

I don't recall Amberleh every saying it was deep, I actually recall her saying it's not deep. You can have a show as your favorite and not think it's deep, so what's your point.
That's my point. I don't recall OP said anything about depth either.
Feb 23, 2013 11:13 AM

Apr 2011
@Candor : You know, whenever I see one of your post, I always read it in Rider's voice ... for some reason.

OT; FMA:B is overrated? It doesn't deserve to be in the top 30? Nope. There is a reason why it managed to get an overall of over a 9 with over a 110,000 members voting for it (seriously, to manage to get even over an average of an 8.5 with denominator of over a 75,000 is admirable by itself). You can't just go and say it is undeserved when so many people voted for it to be great. Doing so is saying that you're the only person whose opinion counts. And you said it yourself, this is your opinion, which quite clearly is in the minority. If you wanted to find others, it would have been better searching for the hate club instead.
Feb 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Nov 2012
10 47.9% (59163 votes)
9 29.0% (35817 votes)
8 14.8% (18256 votes)
7 5.4% (6622 votes)
6 1.6% (1947 votes)
5 0.8% (929 votes)
4 0.3% (313 votes)
3 0.1% (124 votes)
2 0.1% (104 votes)
1 0.2% (207 votes)
Lol 1677 people like Mars of destruction better (retards)
Feb 23, 2013 11:33 AM

Nov 2010
Candor said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Candor said:
Amberleh said:
Dumbass said:

That's my point. I don't recall OP said anything about depth either.
He was saying in his first post that he doesn't like it because it's childish and easy to predict. That LOL DEEP thing isn't neccasarily about depth but of someone thinking that a show is bad because of some flaws, when their favorite shows might have the similar problems or as much.
Feb 23, 2013 11:38 AM
Jul 2008
ecimir said:

lol.

This was the best aspect of FMAB imo

Its debatable what's a joke around here <.<
Feb 23, 2013 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
ecimir said:
It (Death Note) has a moral dilema.

So does FMA. Does Edward use the philosopher's stone to get his and Al's body back when he knows it's been created using people who have been killed? It also explores the moral implications of war with the Ishbal storyline, as many of the heroes are seen doing pretty terrible things to them.
Feb 24, 2013 11:06 AM

Apr 2009
Just because a show you don't like is high on the list, doesn't mean you're alone in this thinking. It just means you're in the minority. OPINIONS
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 25, 2013 5:39 PM

May 2011
Just get over it. FMAB is rated higher than all of your favourite anime on this website.

You want to find people who agree with your point of view? Make a club or something.

Good day.
Feb 28, 2013 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
Someone, somewhere...thinks your favorites are overrated. FACT! LOL!
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Feb 28, 2013 6:14 AM

Mar 2012
I'm halfway through but I can say that the canon part is much more well done in the older series. The new one overuses comedy and badly-drawn "funny" characters, overused the Ed jokes and it never actually delivered seeing how misplaced it is. A lot of serious moments lost their impact because of that.

Also the major scenes in the series like the Nina/Alex, Hughes, etc..are horribly rushed it's sad.

I guess this is a case where being unfaithful to the source is actually good.

So the 2003 was amazing, but brotherhood is...good but not that impressive.

So far 2 out of 3 homunculi shown the retarded "grow into an endgame big ugly monster when raging" syndrome which makes me think it'll become somewhat like DBZ or those action-focused stories.

I'll finish it then tel you if it's really OR or not.
End Zionazism
Mar 7, 2013 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, yes you are.
Mar 7, 2013 11:24 PM

Oct 2011
It's an 8 from me. I was thinking it may be a 9, but even though it's the best shonen I've seen, it's still a shonen.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Mar 25, 2013 7:04 AM

May 2011
I dislike this anime, but I don't consider it overrated.
Mar 26, 2013 9:15 PM

Sep 2011
I don't think it matters if you are in the minority or majority; there has never been a show that every single person has liked.

FMA:Brotherhood is over-rated in the sense that people here give it a 10/10 its definitely no lower than a 8/10 but no where near perfection. Great show but its just that. I honestly didn't care for any of the characters. I did think the world was very interesting and the plot was fantastic. My main gripe was with the main character Ed. I really tried to like him but honestly I found him incredibly annoying all throughout the series. The only character I really liked was the Führer.

Basically for me its a show that was fun to watch once but I will never re-watch it because it just doesn't jive with me. Maybe its the whole alchemy and magic theme or maybe its just because I hated Ed, thing is there's nothing that ever made me go "Oh man I can't wait to see the next episode". I rather re-watch all of Bleach then re-watch FMA:Brotherhood. I just didn't get the enjoyment factor that so many other people got when they watched it.
FullmetalRaikouMar 26, 2013 9:26 PM
Mar 27, 2013 5:47 PM

Jun 2012
BRSxIgnition said:
It's an 8 from me. I was thinking it may be a 9, but even though it's the best shonen I've seen, it's still a shonen.

But... Your favorite Anime is a shounen. :|

RomanceDawn said:
Great show but its just that. I honestly didn't care for any of the characters. The only character I really liked was the Führer.

How could you not like Yao and Kimblee... :|
Mar 27, 2013 5:55 PM

Mar 2013
In a way, it is overrated. Manga fags give the original anime series shit for not being a faithful adaptation (for the most part, anyway) and praise the shit outta Brotherhood just for being faithful to the manga, even though the first few episodes were clearly rushed.
Mar 27, 2013 5:59 PM

Nov 2010
Shirube said:
In a way, it is overrated. Manga fags give the original anime series shit for not being a faithful adaptation (for the most part, anyway) and praise the shit outta Brotherhood just for being faithful to the manga, even though the first few episodes were clearly rushed.
More like FMA was clearly dragged.
Mar 27, 2013 6:01 PM

Sep 2011
Yes. Only you. You're the only person on this whole planet to think that.

Come on, now. Why would you think of making that kind of thread on it's anime chat? If you think that, express it in a blog post.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Guys, did you hear? It was 9.39, and now it is 9.38.

Eagleact - 36 minutes ago

3 by Nyamaste »»
13 minutes ago

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.