Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jun 24, 2014 3:09 PM
May 2013
I'm loving this anime except the yuri and yaoi part .
Jun 26, 2014 8:09 AM

Feb 2014
Welp, at least now we won't have to sit through a stupid love triangle plot. I had to pause a couple of times in order to absorb all the info dump on how the cantus and the subconscious affect the world, but after that the episode just flew by. And what was up with all those extreme close ups? They just made the expressions look weird and animation appeared floaty.
Jul 7, 2014 3:54 PM

Jan 2014
Oh Shun. At least we learn a lot more about the properties of a karma demon, and Shun is aware of the change.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 8, 2014 4:20 PM

Aug 2013
Best part was the Saki's nice ass shots
This world is Rotten. Rotten people should be killed off to cleanse this world.
Jul 18, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2009
I didn't really like it, i mean I can tell there was a good story here but the visuals and art style used really hurt my experience. To me, this episode would have been much more effective if it was played straight. Also, I feel like Shun didn't receive near enough characterization for me to feel sorry for him, though I did for Saki. I'm betting there is more to him in the books and probably their relationship receives more depth there.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 21, 2014 12:21 PM

Jan 2014
Dem, I almost cried. It felt really emotional. Episode was perfectly done.
Aug 1, 2014 12:53 PM

Feb 2011
saki knows how to defend herself, good

interesting explanation how a world where there are PK is bound to be unstable, cause it can't be directly controlled by the conscious

shun, the psychokinesis bomb, rip

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 1, 2014 12:05 PM
Jun 2014
inb4 he comes back later. please stay dead
Sep 9, 2014 11:28 AM

Nov 2013
ZzzZZZzzz, god damn is this show overrated. I'm trying to keep myself awake. And all that melodrama. This show is definitely a shoujo even though MAL doesn't list it as.
Sep 30, 2014 10:28 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing. So he's now... dead?
And he said he's always loved her...
What the...?! And Satoru?
Wonder how the others will react.
Oct 1, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2013
Well the directing is really hit or miss for this show. Depends on the episode directors. Just watched the next episode and the directing is much better: More coherent and less awkward close-ups. The plot has so much potential, it's a shame there's been so much cinematography sloppiness so far.
Oct 26, 2014 10:54 PM

Jun 2014
sadhana said:
So can anyone tell me what is the meaning of the entire conversation about poisons?
Shun says he was given various combinations of poisons, that much I understand.
But what does he mean when he says to Saki, "I'm glad you didn't take any of them"
And what does Saki mean when she replies "I took all of them"

I mean Shun was given the poisons so he could kill himself right? But they didn't work because his subconsciousness detoxified them.
What does it all have to do with Saki?

Will be really helpful if someone can explain. Also I watched it subbed if it helps.

I agree. This didn't make any sense to me. What were they talking about? Someone explain please
Dec 10, 2014 1:09 AM

Oct 2014
insan3priest said:
I didn't really like it, i mean I can tell there was a good story here but the visuals and art style used really hurt my experience. To me, this episode would have been much more effective if it was played straight. Also, I feel like Shun didn't receive near enough characterization for me to feel sorry for him, though I did for Saki. I'm betting there is more to him in the books and probably their relationship receives more depth there.

I have to agree with this. I felt almost no attachment to Shun. His character felt inconsistent and shallow. In fact, almost all of the characters do except for Saki.

The art is okay, but the awkward poses and shots made the scene feel very silly.
Dec 26, 2014 1:29 AM
Oct 2014
ew @ shun X saki
why did he go out w/ satoru if he "always loved" saki
/:
Dec 31, 2014 8:59 PM

Sep 2014
Shun deserved it. If he really loved SakI he'd have asked her out instead of going fagboy mode

Saki remains best character: I feel bad for her, but Im still glad that boring ass shun prick is dead so she can find a new love interest.

I still have absolutely no idea where the plot is going, but it's fun to watch and Im curious to know how this world really works. I want more information and I want a goal.
Jan 3, 2015 2:10 PM
Aug 2014
plzhelpme42 said:
ew @ shun X saki
why did he go out w/ satoru if he "always loved" saki
/:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
AlfyanOct 31, 2017 7:11 AM
Behold! The way is clear! We're free! I, the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma, have triumphed under a twofold assault, from SERN and the Organization, by twisting the very fundamentals of time and space! The world as we know it has been put to rights, and a future of chaos awaits us. This, my friends, is the choice of Steins;Gate!
Jan 27, 2015 2:48 PM

Feb 2014
MintPanda said:
insan3priest said:

I have to agree with this. I felt almost no attachment to Shun. His character felt inconsistent and shallow. In fact, almost all of the characters do except for Saki.

The art is okay, but the awkward poses and shots made the scene feel very silly.

I totally agree with both. It didn't invoke any emotion in me and I wouldn't say I'm dense, just that it was very melodramatic without proper characterization first. They weren't developed enough for me to care about them. What's more, that Saki bitch is pissing me more and more with each following episode.

However, I must say that the world, history, Cantus system and the overall story is marvelously done and engrossing.

BTW why isn't this tagged as shoujo?
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Feb 14, 2015 11:11 PM

Jun 2011
epic episode! pure darkness. Too bad for shun. that was a sad episode.
Feb 28, 2015 3:47 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Interesting episode that really explained a lot of things and helps us understand why their society is the way it is.

What I don't get is why the director insisted on having all those of booty shots of Saki. They were distracting and hurt the poignancy of the scenes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 20, 2015 10:06 PM

Oct 2013
insan3Inquisitor said:
Also, I feel like Shun didn't receive near enough characterization for me to feel sorry for him, though I did for Saki.

Yeah, he really could have used more characterization. He had a lot of potential but it feels a little bit wasted; on the other hand, killing a main character this early seems kind of like a good story choice as well, so I dunno.

I actually loved the art direction this episode, however. In fact, the art made the last third of the episode much more enjoyable than I think it would have been otherwise. So surreal and beautiful.

One thing I don't get is what made Shun turn into a karmic demon but not other really gifted PK users. Like that dude from the last episode who's supposedly the strongest PK user? The guy who could split the earth in half if he wanted to? The way I was understanding Shun's explanation, it sounds like the amount of "power leaked out from the subconscious" is proportionate to the amount of "power" one has in general. Too much PK results in an inability to control one's subconscious, the little situation with Shun happens as a result.

Great episode in any case.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 3, 2015 1:13 PM

Nov 2014
This episode is not as good as everyone say it is.

May 20, 2015 9:14 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
ExTamplier said:
This episode is not as good as everyone say it is.

Yeah. Shun didn't get any screentime and I was just watching this ep like "just end it already" hopefully they won't drag the grief for a couple of episodes
Jun 5, 2015 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
I liked this episode a lot. Ok, she could say less times "Shuuuuun" and maybe do something, but in general it was great.
Jun 26, 2015 7:43 AM
Dec 2011
good god i cried so much ...shun i love him ...from the very beginning to end shun and saki love each other so much but never got to be close this is breaking my heart its just felt like a cruel punishment.

after knowing they are being watched shun distance himself from the group bit by bit then his power going out of control and satoru asking him was an opportunity for him to make the gap between him and saki even more ,shun dated satoru for saki's sake to keep her at a distance how much shun loved saki and how much saki loved shun was shown perfectly in this episode it was toooo painful to watch i will miss shun very much :3
Jul 22, 2015 4:58 AM

Sep 2013
So Shun is dead. At last.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 11, 2015 12:37 PM

Oct 2014
Oh damn things got really really dark quickly. shun's death was sad but necessary, can't wait for some character development for Saki and the others now. But I never expected one of them to die so early on.. :'(
Sep 14, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Impressive episode and, personally, the best one so far. Actually, it was simply epic in every possible way.
Stunning visuals and superb OST to perfectly match dark atmosphere.
Sep 25, 2015 8:41 AM

Jan 2013
Poor Subaru and Shun :/
Shun not being able to control it anymore, destroying himself to save Saki.

Mentions he always loved her, but that was kinda obvious, especially trying to fight it while he was having a relationship with Satoru.
Sep 30, 2015 7:42 PM
Jun 2014
The guest director was awful. "I know what would be great, lets zoom in on everything at odd angles so people can barely tell what's going on". What an idiot. Ruined what could have been a great episode.
Oct 2, 2015 3:57 PM

Feb 2015
I felt like Saki was sitting on my face while listening to Shun talk.
Oct 26, 2015 7:15 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was awful, as the quality has dropped significantly. They've been shoving Saki's ass into my face every 10 seconds, plus this slow pointless talking, and drama... arrrr
I'm dropping this if continues
Oct 26, 2015 1:15 PM

Feb 2013
in ep 10 there was a different director ^^ it is known that this ep has a very bad quality in animation ..
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Nov 13, 2015 7:59 AM

Jul 2008
I just realized... this anime looks a lot like Casshern Sins.
Feb 24, 2016 7:21 PM

Aug 2014
I like those colorful artistic things.
I still think that they should stick to the dark themes they did in the first 5 episodes.
Great Episode.
Mar 7, 2016 7:29 PM

Oct 2014
Wasn't a huge fan of the animation but I guess it worked in the context. Goodbye Subaru and Shun :(
Mar 18, 2016 9:04 AM

May 2015
that was a dark episode. Reminded me a lot of of Madoka's Magic.
Mar 29, 2016 10:13 AM

Mar 2010
Fuck, death of pets - especially dogs - always gets to me. Poor Subaru T_T Poor Shun, too, of course, but loyalty of dogs never fails to move me for some reason. Awesome episode, full of feels and revelations. I also kinda pity Satoru now, it seems Shun was with him solely to forget about Saki. It makes sense, considering how rudely he ignored her even though they were getting along so well before.
Apr 1, 2016 8:14 AM
May 2012
slovak125 said:
MintPanda said:

I totally agree with both. It didn't invoke any emotion in me and I wouldn't say I'm dense, just that it was very melodramatic without proper characterization first. They weren't developed enough for me to care about them. What's more, that Saki bitch is pissing me more and more with each following episode.

However, I must say that the world, history, Cantus system and the overall story is marvelously done and engrossing.

BTW why isn't this tagged as shoujo?

Same here.
I'm just like "Okay.....Shun is really dying right now".
Why so sudden?
Apr 27, 2016 6:06 AM

Sep 2015
The explanation was good but I was wondering the whole time how she even knew where to go to find him?
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jul 19, 2016 6:38 AM

Aug 2013
Interesting about Cantus leaking and how Karma demons are created, but I wasn't invested in Saki and Shun's relationship to feel anything for the drama. As a result the episode felt a bit long and dragged out.
Jul 23, 2016 6:34 PM
Feb 2016
Intense episode. This show always goes for the jugular.
Jul 23, 2016 10:33 PM

Jan 2014
Not sure why everyone kept saying this episode was amazing. It was alright. It did what it set out to do, wasn't bad at all. But nothing extraordinary. Which is fine. The reception is just confusing me a bit.

It certainly didn't help that the opening sequence with Saki walking through the forest finding Shun confused the hell out of me. What on earth were those white things that kept coming up from the ground? Why was Shun at first being shown as a figure inside a tree? Was that his cantus causing this atmospheric change? Doesn't cantus only affect physical things, not how the environment is perceived by someone? What is the in-universe explanation for that scene making any sense?
zacrathedemon5Jul 24, 2016 2:17 PM
Aug 20, 2016 5:04 AM

Mar 2015
Whats so great about this episode? I kinda liked the gloomy atmosphere though :3

3.2/5
Sep 13, 2016 2:30 PM

Mar 2015
Okay... this episode is just out of place.

So Shun always loved Saki? Wat. Then why you went full yaoi with Satoru?

Also Shun was never really stand out as a character. The only moment I liked him was when he made that rape face in the previous episode. Then he died out like that? If he's not a plot device, then I don't know what he is.

We just spent a whole episode on a character that this anime viewer's probably don't care about because he was never really is a character.

Oct 14, 2016 7:18 PM

Sep 2013
Ugh.....boooooooooooring

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 29, 2016 12:22 PM
Dec 2015
i didnt understand why he wore a mask ??? i thought he wore it to hide something yet when it broke he looked pretty normal underneath... (maybe so he could cry and still look cool)
Nov 3, 2016 5:00 AM

Jul 2008
So just why was his subconscious leaking...and why would the adults get rid of everyone in his neighborhood...

man I want them to get to the heart of this conspiracy already.
Nov 3, 2016 5:18 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Shigure said:
So the story of the boy who was in solitude referred to Shun. What a mind blowing and emotional episode.

It was kinda obvious in a way from the start, since he was the so called genious of the village.
Great episode, alot is explained, makes sense and seeing the consequences so directly and then again cause and effect, poor Subaru, and that fucking cat.
They look so dumb but they my god, such speed, but then again, that is no excuse, how can these assholes kill so many cantus users, I mean you just need to use your cantus of the kitty and twist is body. I can see their furtive behavior can be the cause but still, Saki first meets that cat, keeps staring like stupid waiting for the asshole to get a bit on her, why not just use cantus right way?!
I would understand if these tainted cats were imune or resistent to Cantus, but they clearly are not.
Unlogical BS.
Nov 25, 2016 10:23 PM

Aug 2016
Shigure said:
So the story of the boy who was in solitude referred to Shun. What a mind blowing and emotional episode.

One card is now open, we need more revelations

Best episode so far, after 9 episode of WTF IS GOING ON, at last one clue has been given.
Jan 13, 2017 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
Looking back at it now, Ep8 and Ep10 are probably the worst episodes in terms of animation.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.