Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 11, 2013 12:20 AM

Dec 2008
Got back from the screening in DC a couple of hours ago; fun times.

Our theatre also did not get to see the third movie trailer; most of the audience remained seated expecting it and a big "AWWWW" was let out when the screen went black.

While I felt like some things were improved upon from the TV series, I also felt like certain bits took a step backwards. The complex and detailed backgrounds were amazing, oh my goodness, but with a movie budget, obviously, Madoka was only going to become even more eye candy than it already contained. Maybe because I've watched the TV series so many times that I feel like I have it memorized, but some of the music was switched up and I felt like at some points it was less effective. I'd have to rewatch them again to confirm my initial reactions, though.

Also, I was surprised that the first movie was able to squeeze in, essentially, episodes 1-8 (with the second movie containing just 9-12 by comparison); I just thought it would have been split up a just little more evenly, but where they cut it off makes sense and the length isn't too large of a difference (first movie clocking in at 2hr 10min and second movie clocking in at 1hr 50min).

Regardless, I still think it is a successful set of recaps and still great for introducing newcomers. Madoka Magica is amazing and I still try to spread the word to get people interested/watching the series to those that have not seen it/heard of it yet.
Jan 12, 2013 7:13 PM
Jan 2013
I recently had the opportunity to see the first and second movies in succession at a showing in Cambridge, Mass. Aside from not getting a poster (They had 30, myself and my friend were numbers 31 and 32 in line, respectively), I was pleasantly surprised to find they had taken what is an absolute masterpiece and made it even better. The pacing in the movies is spot on, keeping every essential scene from the show and cutting out everything unnecessary. The animation, soundtrack, and story are all top notch of course. Now I just wish Aniplex would announce a release date for a possible BD release of the movies stateside!
Jan 18, 2013 10:21 PM
Sep 2011
Where did you guys watch it? :s
Jan 18, 2013 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
CHRlS said:

At the Movie Theaters.

Here's a list of Movie Theaters in the USA that did and are and will show the Movies at.
Jan 19, 2013 12:06 AM
Sep 2011
Neane1993 said:
CHRlS said:

At the Movie Theaters.

Here's a list of Movie Theaters in the USA that did and are and will show the Movies at.

dang none in new jersey :x how else can i watch it other than movie theaters? any anime sites have it?
Jan 20, 2013 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
CHRlS said:
Neane1993 said:
CHRlS said:

At the Movie Theaters.

dang none in new jersey :x how else can i watch it other than movie theaters? any anime sites have it?

Nope, that will only happen when the DVDs and Blu-rays come out, which should hopefully be sometime in the next 6 months. Once the DVDs and Blu-rays come out, then people can post them on either Anime Streaming Sites or Torrent Places online so people who want to watch them can for free.
removed-userJan 20, 2013 12:46 AM
Feb 12, 2013 2:51 PM
Jul 2010
Could anyone please confirm whether the scene were Kyouko saves Sayaka from Homura (when Sayaka refuses the Grief Seed Homura offers and Homura says she'll kill her then) is missing from the first movie? I saw a youtube comment saying so but I wanted to confirm.
Feb 15, 2013 1:43 PM

Aug 2011
Dusk252 said:
Could anyone please confirm whether the scene were Kyouko saves Sayaka from Homura (when Sayaka refuses the Grief Seed Homura offers and Homura says she'll kill her then) is missing from the first movie? I saw a youtube comment saying so but I wanted to confirm.

That scene was indeed removed.
Feb 15, 2013 1:47 PM

Jun 2012
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

I am unhappy, that they removed that scene, because it fit into the rest of the show.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Feb 15, 2013 1:51 PM

Aug 2011
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

I am unhappy, that they removed that scene, because it fit into the rest of the show.

A shame that they decided to put 8 episodes in the 1st movie and 4 episodes in the 2nd, as that is some rather strange pacing, me thinks...
Feb 15, 2013 2:31 PM

Jun 2012
soge_king999 said:
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

A shame that they decided to put 8 episodes in the 1st movie and 4 episodes in the 2nd, as that is some rather strange pacing, me thinks...

I haven't seen the movie, so I didn't dare to touch that topic...
ChepriFeb 15, 2013 2:50 PM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Feb 17, 2013 1:05 AM
Jul 2010
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

Same here. I can't comment on the pacing when I haven't watched the movies but... either way, I'm quite unhappy with that removal as well. I really loved that scene for telling us the lengths Homura would go for Madoka, showcasing Sayaka's idelas of justice and loss of her sense of purpose so well and just being generally awesome. It really is a shame they removed it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info^^
Feb 17, 2013 6:57 PM

Aug 2011
Dusk252 said:
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

Same here. I can't comment on the pacing when I haven't watched the movies but... either way, I'm quite unhappy with that removal as well. I really loved that scene for telling us the lengths Homura would go for Madoka, showcasing Sayaka's idelas of justice and loss of her sense of purpose so well and just being generally awesome. It really is a shame they removed it.

The first movie only being about 20 minutes longer than the 2nd, despite using what would have been twice the content, meant that some cuts from the first 8 episodes were necessary, while leaving the last 4 nearly uncut, but all remastered. They certainly chose some strange scenes of varying importance to cut though, IMO... But, as you haven't seen them yet, I suppose I should just leave it at that...
Feb 18, 2013 4:08 PM
Jul 2010
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

The first movie only being about 20 minutes longer than the 2nd, despite using what would have been twice the content, meant that some cuts from the first 8 episodes were necessary, while leaving the last 4 nearly uncut, but all remastered. They certainly chose some strange scenes of varying importance to cut though, IMO... But, as you haven't seen them yet, I suppose I should just leave it at that...
Yes, I knew that was bound to require cuts but I still think that's one of the worst possible choices. As for leaving it at that... well, I know the story already, so I don't really mind knowing what was cut. As long as it's inside spoiler tags, for other users might not be of the same opinion.
Feb 18, 2013 5:24 PM

Aug 2011
Dusk252 said:
soge_king999 said:
Dusk252 said:

Yes, I knew that was bound to require cuts but I still think that's one of the worst possible choices. As for leaving it at that... well, I know the story already, so I don't really mind knowing what was cut. As long as it's inside spoiler tags, for other users might not be of the same opinion.

I was just saying that because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to discuss the movie with people who haven't seen it, lullz... Anyways, here is a detailed comparison between the movies and the series: 1st movie and 2nd movie
Mar 1, 2013 5:47 AM
Sep 2012
I would love to see the movie, but of course not in my country...

Now on to waiting a few months for the DVD -_-
Mar 11, 2013 4:32 AM
Dec 2009
someone can confirm, when it will be available on torrents ?
Mar 11, 2013 4:33 AM

Sep 2012
Crysis3000 said:
someone can confirm, when it will be available on torrents ?
Come on, the DVD is not yet out, and even the release date is not yet announced...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Dec 2008
Finally getting around to watching this....

...I forgot how epic Madoka was on various levels. Those feels I felt years ago hit me HARD. It also reminded me why I was such a big Madoka fan (and Mami-sama lover).

If this is how the movies are going to look, then I sincerely hope that my expectations of the Walpurgisnacht scenes being epically orgasmic will be met. #hypehype
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Mar 15, 2013 1:08 AM

Mar 2013
Mami's house seems so...lively. Kyouko seems to have gotten herself a lot of new snacks as well. Also, Sayaka and dat fortissimo.

Anyways, movie did not disappoint. Especially DAT OPENING. Homuhomuhomuhomu-

In addition, I just have to add that everyone in the theatre was laughing when Hitomi went postal.

Can't wait for next Wednesday. I'll be getting myself a poster, hopefully.
Poorfag-chanMar 15, 2013 1:14 AM
Mar 15, 2013 7:22 AM
Oct 2010
That movie was awesome~ I coming to part 2 movie! There were 2 girls cosplaying Mami-san and Kyoko-chan <3

But I didn't get a chance to get a poster ;__; I'm jealous!

In the theatre, people laughed at the part where
lol Love the ending credit!
chocolateXbarMar 15, 2013 11:52 AM
Jun 22, 2013 2:42 PM

Aug 2007
The movie was ok. They deleted some parts and added other. In enjoyment a 9.
Jul 20, 2013 4:47 PM

Nov 2007
OP is nice. Mirai is too short.

I was kind of surprised at the place where they ended.
tsubasaloverJul 20, 2013 7:10 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 20, 2013 5:06 PM

Dec 2008
The torrent is out on Nyaa
Jul 20, 2013 11:44 PM

Jul 2012
I'm watching this right now, ten more minutes left.

The pacing felt kind of odd for me, but that's possibly just because I'm comparing it to the pacing of the series. I wish they didn't leave out stuff like Mami's backstory, but in the end, they really did a pretty decent job of putting all the content and emotional stuff packed into this. Animation upgrade was great too.

First movie will get an 8/10 from me, because I can't bear to give something with Madoka Magica in the title anything lower And well, it was genuinely good too. I'd still recommend the series over it though, probably. Depends after I see movie 2.
Jul 21, 2013 1:10 AM

Jul 2010
I'm kinda surprised by how well they were able to condense 8 episodes into a single 2 hour movie. I mean, it's not perfect, as there are quite a lot of scenes cut out, some I feel were crucial, too, like Mami's Backstory. I really wish they somehow integrated it somewhere like they did with the scene where Sayaka became a magical girl, which I thought was very well integrated. Not to mention scenes like when they first figure out that only they can see Kyubey and the telepathy power, and the whole dream sequence. Because of that, I can't possibly recommend the movie over the series. But they did keep in a lot of the more crucial scenes, and I thought the pacing was well-done, as none of it felt rushed.

I did like all the new touches, though, like the new animation for the transformation sequence were awesome, the beautiful scenery of the city, the fact that Madoka actually wears casual clothing instead of her school uniform all the freaking time (although they didn't do the same with Sayaka which is a shame), and the new opening is somehow even more cutesy and adorable than the original series opening. Even tiny things like Kyouko eating different shaped food I thought were nice. I do like the music cues in this better than the series, though, and the new music is awesome as I expected.

So overall I really liked the first film. Not as good as the series, though, and to people who haven't seen the series I wouldn't recommend just watching this on its own, but a nice film for the fans, more like.
Jul 21, 2013 5:28 AM
Sep 2009
Ruined soundtrack.
Jul 21, 2013 2:13 PM

Mar 2008
sub f*&king where
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2013 5:35 PM
Sep 2011
After reading the spinoff manga "The Different Story" I felt the temptation to rewatch the series, but with these movies on the way I decided to wait. In the end if was worth it, especially since the movies count as another MAL achievement.

If there's one praise I can give the movies over the TV show, it's the voice acting. The voice acting feels more convincing and emotional. For example, the scene where Kyubey is calling out to Madoka at what would be the tail end of the first episode. His voice sounds much more like someone who's injured and desperate.

For a show where crying happens at least twice an episode, it was pretty off putting how cutesy and phony the crying sounded in the TV series, so I was pleasantly surprised with this movie putting more feeling into it, instead of just sounding like a generic moe anime.

I don't know whether to praise or criticise the music in this one. While mundane scenes that could do without the repetitions of Sis Puella Magia were given new life, scenes that already had good music, particularly action scenes, were made less enjoyable by the decision to change them. Particularly Kyouko and Sayaka's fight. And what was with that childish chanting during the Charlotte scene? And the calming classical music as Madoka is ripped apart and pulled into the witch barrier.

Speaking of Charlotte, Mami's death scene was also significantly improved imo. The pacing was a little faster, so it doesn't look like the thing just slooooowly approaches Mami and noms, making it seem like she had less time to react. And the sounds... in the anime all I heard was a bunch of weird squishing noises, like when you stick your finger into a tightly packed cup of silly putty. In this movie... it was a... *sunglasses* different story.

The removal of Mami's backstory would have bothered me more if I felt she had much characterization to begin with. "I pretend to be cool but I'm lonely" sufficed as a summary of her character. Plus the aforementioned spinoff manga gave me more than enough characterization for her.

I have to say this turns my opinion around on the whole rehashiing an already terrible (in my opinion) series a bit. The superior voice acting alone made it worth it. Plus it's not like I spent money on it. Not gonna happen, Aniplex.
Jul 22, 2013 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
RebuildOfKam said:
sub f*&king where
Subs are included in the torrent. (nyaa)
Jul 22, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 2011

The visuals in this were gorgeous, there were some other nice shots but I only saved 3.
[center]
Jul 22, 2013 3:19 PM

Oct 2008
It's here!
Now to wait for the actual thing to arrive in the mail.

We can clearly see where they put some of those millions of dollars this anime has generated back into!
Jul 22, 2013 4:06 PM

Mar 2012
RLinksoul said:

If there's one praise I can give the movies over the TV show, it's the voice acting. The voice acting feels more convincing and emotional. For example, the scene where Kyubey is calling out to Madoka at what would be the tail end of the first episode. His voice sounds much more like someone who's injured and desperate.

For a show where crying happens at least twice an episode, it was pretty off putting how cutesy and phony the crying sounded in the TV series, so I was pleasantly surprised with this movie putting more feeling into it, instead of just sounding like a generic moe anime.

I don't know whether to praise or criticise the music in this one. While mundane scenes that could do without the repetitions of Sis Puella Magia were given new life, scenes that already had good music, particularly action scenes, were made less enjoyable by the decision to change them. Particularly Kyouko and Sayaka's fight. And what was with that childish chanting during the Charlotte scene? And the calming classical music as Madoka is ripped apart and pulled into the witch barrier.

Interesting post, I somewhat agree with you about what you said about the improved voice acting. On the other hand, I must say I actually am quite impressed with the classical music used in some particular scenes. Then again, that's just me since i'm a huge sucker for classical music. But, Pherhaps what I like most in this film are the improved visuals. I like how they gave the buildings and various other backgrounds alot more detail unlike in the TV series. Not that I detest it, but the improvements to them work well. Also, I know i'm very late for responding in the discussion thread, but whatevs.

In the end, I cannot say too much other than the fact that I enjoyed this film.
SilkDegreesJul 22, 2013 4:25 PM
Jul 22, 2013 5:33 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, I've been waiting for this film for quite awhile..And damn this was a refreshment. Some thoughts:

- Great production visuals
- First 7 minutes - Homura spotted. Oh snap, *fan boy time*
- Kyuubey spotteeeeeeeeeeed. Oh boy. Fuck, I miss that little face of his and that voice
- DAT OST
- I loved Mami's battle scenes though as they were a good refreshment. The OST used during her action footages were brilliant but ya...if you remember from the tv series, she meets her fate early on.
- Hormura remains badass as ever
- The fantasy world brings out that sense of surrealism to me once again
- Kyouko Sakura <33333
- Sakaya ;____;
- I am quite glad that Kyouko gets more screen time than I had thought. She is my 2nd favorite from the series and nice to see her personality as well her history explained a little.
- The "death" scene of Sayaka gave me some emotions...
- Fucking Hitomi...

Great movie overall, 8/10.

◕ ‿‿ ◕◕ ‿‿ ◕◕ ‿‿ ◕
Jul 22, 2013 6:13 PM

Oct 2008
O christ... the soundtrack was all over the place.
I need time to recover from this tragic blow.
Jul 22, 2013 6:17 PM

Apr 2013
If the subs were recently made then why did this have high ratings ?
Jul 22, 2013 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:

Probably because some people already have seen this in the theaters.

Or they watched camrips.
Jul 22, 2013 8:59 PM

Mar 2013
Arararraragi-kun said:

was released in theaters for a limited time with subs, and alot of people watched it through that , and also cam rips lol.
Jul 22, 2013 10:56 PM
Oct 2010
Omniknight said:
O christ... the soundtrack was all over the place.
I need time to recover from this tragic blow.

Seriously, it's the reason I gave it a 9.. and even thinking of an 8. It was mostly in the battle scenes.. the OST so didn't fit compared to the original.
Jul 23, 2013 1:05 AM

Oct 2009
OST -_- was a bit disappointing...

but over all good wrap
8/10
Jul 23, 2013 2:22 AM

May 2009
The DVD already out? Wasnt it supposed to be released tomorrow? And how come only one sub group for Madoka?
Jul 23, 2013 4:24 AM

Oct 2008
Crochax said:
The DVD already out? Wasnt it supposed to be released tomorrow? And how come only one sub group for Madoka?

Hopefully, it was a random group who managed to get it early and inserted their own soundtrack for lolz.
It's probably like the 20th time watching the TV anime and it still evokes strong emotions from me. The movie, I just got a lot of, "why are they using this soundtrack?" or "why is there no soundtrack?" or "why is this soundtrack distracting?"

The pacing was really off, but I don't think they could have done much to avoid this. I can get over this aspect of it since this anime doesn't really lend well towards a one-sitting viewing.

I can't forgive this travesty that has occurred on the soundtrack side... Did Yuki Kajiura actually compose these new pieces?
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 4:30 AM
Jul 23, 2013 7:25 AM
Oct 2010
^Soundtrack is alrite for the second movie, but the in some extended scenes it still isn't as perfect like the series. I hope the last movie makes up for it :). The best thing about the movies are the extended fights + homura's transform.
Jul 23, 2013 11:50 AM

Jun 2012
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.
Jul 23, 2013 3:59 PM

Oct 2008
skudoops said:
^Soundtrack is alrite for the second movie, but the in some extended scenes it still isn't as perfect like the series. I hope the last movie makes up for it :). The best thing about the movies are the extended fights + homura's transform.

I'm still undergoing therapy following the first movie (actually, I'm just too busy to watch the second).

I hope you're right. Makes me nervous about Rebellion now though.

Sairyuu69 said:
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.

Quality post, hopefully we'll get more...
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 5:15 PM
Jul 23, 2013 4:22 PM

Jul 2012
Omniknight said:
skudoops said:

I'm still undergoing PTSD therapy following the first movie (actually, I'm just too busy to watch the second).

Sairyuu69 said:
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.

Telling someone to die is definitely a quality post.

And please don't joke about having to go through PTSD therapy like you did earlier because that's not something to fucking joke about.
Jul 23, 2013 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
ihateeveryone said:
Omniknight said:
skudoops said:

I'm still undergoing therapy following the first movie (actually, I'm just too busy to watch the second).

Sairyuu69 said:
RedInv said:

but over all good wrap
8/10

Seriously?
Die.

Telling someone to die is definitely a quality post.

And please don't joke about having to go through PTSD therapy like you did earlier because that's not something to fucking joke about.

Take a deep breath and calm down. I'm not intentionally making light of PTSD. And I edited my post.

tsudecimo said:
Madoka fandom, nice.

Would you like to enlighten us like you did in our Watamote talk?
OmniknightJul 23, 2013 6:35 PM
Jul 23, 2013 5:17 PM

Dec 2012
Madoka fandom, nice.
Jul 23, 2013 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
Omniknight said:

Take a deep breath and calm down. I'm not intentionally making light of PTSD. And I edited my post.

Oh I am calm, I just don't appreciate people making jokes out of serious mental issues is all.
Jul 23, 2013 8:49 PM

Oct 2008
ihateeveryone said:
Omniknight said:

Oh I am calm, I just don't appreciate people making jokes out of serious mental issues is all.

I apologized, wasn't intentional and edited my post. Can we get back to the movie discussion please?

Just watched the 2nd movie and that pacing and soundtrack issues mostly disappeared. Expanding on 4 episodes works a lot better than contracting and cutting 8 episodes.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Are the movies still watchable even for someone who never enjoyed the main series?

TheRailTracerMAL - May 11, 2019

4 by KaeraNyu »»
Feb 22, 2022 3:33 PM

» Are the movies the same as the TV series, are they worth watching?

smooki91 - Jul 25, 2013

8 by DinoPapiro »»
Aug 2, 2021 3:11 AM

» Can i watch without watching the main series

TiagoKobata - Sep 20, 2020

1 by JomyS »»
Sep 20, 2020 4:15 PM

» Movies or TV Show

nicoface - Jul 5, 2016

3 by anayeet »»
Dec 16, 2017 10:53 PM

» Dubs good?

krudtso - Oct 18, 2015

4 by spacebro »»
Nov 10, 2015 6:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.