3It was OK
6.5%
2Disliked it
2.2%
1Hated it
2.5%
Average 4.5
279 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2012 11:24 PM
Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just watched the film. First thing comes to mind is that the witch realm was very eyecandy seeing it on a big screen. Inu curry did too well lol. Roughly every scene is completely redrawn almost everything it doesn't even felt like a recap movie. I feel bad for the guys who collected the BDs. Shinbo/shaft/aniplex are trolls...complete trolls. Also the mami head scene was very ordinary as usual and will still caught you off guard even though everyone around the freaking theater were like "noooo" "mamita"...
Oct 7, 2012 1:12 PM

Oct 2008
I think Madoka has spoiled anime for me forever.

Ever since it aired, everything else just seems a little bit less interesting. It's harder for me to get into another anime since Madoka has really put the bar way above what all other anime can even hope to reach.

Here I am, unable to reach Japan or any of the Madoka airings due to responsibilities and school. In the middle of a jam packed fall season with a lot of new anime with a lot of potential, I am here eagerly awaiting news of the movie rather than anticipating the next episodes of the fall anime, which all except for one has really fallen flat.
Oct 7, 2012 1:55 PM
Sep 2011
bippo said:
Also the mami head scene was very ordinary as usual and will still caught you off guard even though everyone around the freaking theater were like "noooo" "mamita"...

So basically the same thing? I figured that without the trouble caused by TV airings they'd be able to make that scene more graphic. Maybe not to the manga's degree but a little more than a black headless silhouette in the distance.
Oct 8, 2012 7:45 AM

Oct 2008
For those looking for it, here is Luminous by Claris in the OP

Some movies scenes, including snippets of transformation sequences. SPOILERS!
OmniknightOct 8, 2012 10:01 AM
Oct 8, 2012 12:16 PM

Jun 2010
Sounds like they remixed the entire OST. Can't wait for it to come stateside with the other movies.
Oct 9, 2012 12:51 PM
Sep 2012
I don't like the new hairpin, but what I heard is that nearly every scene seems re-done, its more like a big overhaul than just a recap.
Oct 9, 2012 1:04 PM
Sep 2011
If they did redraw nearly ever scene, I'm wondering if they fixed this error from episode 3 that was left even in the Blu Rays
Oct 14, 2012 10:38 AM

Jul 2010
Omniknight said:

Ever since it aired, everything else just seems a little bit less interesting. It's harder for me to get into another anime since Madoka has really put the bar way above what all other anime can even hope to reach.

Here I am, unable to reach Japan or any of the Madoka airings due to responsibilities and school. In the middle of a jam packed fall season with a lot of new anime with a lot of potential, I am here eagerly awaiting news of the movie rather than anticipating the next episodes of the fall anime, which all except for one has really fallen flat.

such a shame many guys have succumbed to this line of thought.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Oct 15, 2012 2:46 PM

Jul 2012
AmberFebruary said:
Omniknight said:

Girls as well, though it's hardly a shame for me.
Oct 15, 2012 3:30 PM

Jun 2012
Omniknight said:

Are you me?
Oct 17, 2012 6:26 PM

Oct 2008
AmberFebruary said:
Omniknight said:

I would be extremely overjoyed if you could suggest me an anime to air since Madoka that comes anywhere near it in terms of providing a cohesive story with memorable characters, intriguing plot, immersive soundtrack and most importantly, great pacing. I'm not trolling. If the medium is not improving, then it becomes less and less interesting over time.

I even have to say Psycho-Pass (by Urobuchi) didn't hook me like I thought it would. The premise about a system determining whether a person is likely to be a criminal certainly is interesting, but the characters just don't resonate with me at all. Also, I just can't take a show seriously when shooting someone causes them to bulge and explode into a pile of liquid... Of course, I will give it 3 episode before making a final decision on whether to keep with it.
OmniknightOct 17, 2012 6:30 PM
Oct 19, 2012 8:43 PM

Aug 2011
Omniknight said:

I even have to say Psycho-Pass (by Urobuchi) didn't hook me like I thought it would. The premise about a system determining whether a person is likely to be a criminal certainly is interesting, but the characters just don't resonate with me at all. Also, I just can't take a show seriously when shooting someone causes them to bulge and explode into a pile of liquid... Of course, I will give it 3 episode before making a final decision on whether to keep with it.

If ur tr00 madoka fan u wud luv anething Urobuchi puts out!!!!!!1!!!!!!1111!11!!
Oct 20, 2012 2:34 AM

May 2008
I saw the first two movies in Paris yesterday (the screening gathered more than 500 people).

But what can I say, it's a recap (well, more like an enhanced compilation) and you already know the story.
To give you an idea of what's covered in each movie, the first one ends with Sayaka becoming a witch.
RuzgfpegkOct 20, 2012 8:24 AM
Oct 20, 2012 4:43 PM

Oct 2008
itsvero said:
Omniknight said:

If ur tr00 madoka fan u wud luv anething Urobuchi puts out!!!!!!1!!!!!!1111!11!!

Not sure if trolling. Most likely yes.

Ruzgfpegk said:
I saw the first two movies in Paris yesterday (the screening gathered more than 500 people).

But what can I say, it's a recap (well, more like an enhanced compilation) and you already know the story.
To give you an idea of what's covered in each movie, the first one ends with Sayaka becoming a witch.

Was the movie venue full? And did you get free stuff?
Oct 20, 2012 6:13 PM
Dec 2011
Just got back from the LA showing; we each got a poster, copies of signed art, and there was a merchandise stand. It was a really well put together recap of the series; they really did their best to make it look good and flow well (although, they did throw in the original opening right after episode 10's material which was off-putting since it kinda broke the tension).
It also had quite a few pieces of added music, albeit they were mostly remixes of previous pieces; it had a version Credens justitiam that had actual lyrics, which was nice. Everyone was super excited about the trailer for the third movie at the end.
In the end, despite having seen the series already, I really had a good time.
andrlchOct 20, 2012 6:17 PM
Oct 20, 2012 9:31 PM
Mar 2011
Absolutely amazing. Soundtrack was sublime. Animation was glorious. Aoki Ume sketchboard will be treasured forever.
Oct 20, 2012 9:50 PM

Aug 2008
I went to the LA showing as well. Pretty good. I like the remixes and added soundtrack. Some of the background was redone nicely (particularly like how the school roof looks like). Other than that, though, pretty sure most (if not all) of the lines were directly taken from the TV series.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Oct 20, 2012 10:25 PM
Oct 2010
RLinksoul said:
Also the mami head scene was very ordinary as usual and will still caught you off guard even though everyone around the freaking theater were like "noooo" "mamita"...

bippo said:
So basically the same thing? I figured that without the trouble caused by TV airings they'd be able to make that scene more graphic. Maybe not to the manga's degree but a little more than a black headless silhouette in the distance.

think in the series she only gets her head eaten. witch went for the whole body in the movie

Zfish9 said:
Sounds like they remixed the entire OST. Can't wait for it to come stateside with the other movies.

yea some songs were remixed. some were kept.

just got back form the houston showing. sold out theater for it. first time going ot the theater there so i got kinda lost and left home too late. got there with 10 minutes to spare. had to sit in the front. didnt stop my constant orgasm. loved these movies. think some people cried more than i thouhgt they wouldve. if they saw the series first which they probably did lol. damn i hope they do a worldwide release for the third one.
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Oct 21, 2012 12:27 AM
Mar 2010
Pretty good movie. Even though it was basically the same as the TV series, it was still an interesting watch. I liked the revamped transformation scenes, and the OST seemed to have a mix of the old tracks and some ones I didn't remember from the series.

Oh, and that preview makes me want to watch the next movie. Kinda wondering how they'll start another story going. Seems pretty likely they'll show the third movie in the States too, or that PV will be quite cruel.

Worst part: no free gifts here.
daultimateOct 21, 2012 12:37 AM
Oct 21, 2012 1:08 AM

Jun 2007
Just got back from the Chicago showing. I'll need to wait till its not 3am to give my true opinions, but all I can say is... So Damn Epic.
Oct 21, 2012 1:31 AM

Dec 2009
Well, I watched the 6pm L.A. showing. I thought it was really cool. I brought my friend who doesn't watch anime at all and he liked it a lot as well.

Got some free stuff. Very happy.
Oct 21, 2012 2:42 AM
Aug 2009
Just got back from the Chicago showing and I can't even put into words how cool this was. The theater experience was great. This was my first time watching anime in a theater and I'm really glad it was Madoka. They did a really good job putting this together and making it look so damn amazing.
Oct 21, 2012 6:35 AM

Oct 2008

Kalafina's Credens Justitiam

Kalafina's Sagitta Luminis

A great effort, but still doesn't quite capture the same essence as the original versions. The original credens justitam had much more energy in it and sagitta luminis had a much larger buildup.
Music purists like myself might also cringe that they don't quite hit the right notes in Sagitta Luminis, but this is probably an early take of this song.

I just want new Yuki Kajuira music!
Oct 21, 2012 11:12 AM
Mar 2009
Nothing to add here, just a quick shout-out to everybody who saw it in Chicago <3
Oct 21, 2012 11:32 AM
Aug 2011
I went to the first Houston showing at Alamo Draft House. Got there two hours early and was 6th in line. Which granted me good seats and a movie poster. A few people dressed up though the common thing were ribbons. Lots of scruffy looking college aged guys wearing red ribbons in their hair xD.

The movies themselves were good. I liked the new animations and the songs were pretty well done also. The only thing that disappointed me a little was the build up to Mami's shocking scene. Leaving out her backstory made the events a little less shocking in my opinion. Though I brought a friend who knew nothing about Madoka and it turns out that he really liked Mami and was quite shocked at the event. So maybe it had the same affect for those who had not seen it before.
Oct 21, 2012 5:09 PM

Oct 2008

Movie 3 Trailer Camrip. I found this on another forum.
This may be taken off soon so burn this video into your minds!
Oct 22, 2012 3:28 AM

Dec 2007
Went to the second San Francisco showing today. It was glorious.

While "Mirai" doesn't have quite the same level of intensity as "Credens justitiam", I thought the lighter arrangement worked really well. And those lyrics ;_;

Also, Sayaka's new transformation sequence had some nice details.
bambooXZXOct 22, 2012 3:32 AM
Oct 22, 2012 7:49 AM
Aug 2010
bambooXZX said:

While "Mirai" doesn't have quite the same level of intensity as "Credens justitiam", I thought the lighter arrangement worked really well. And those lyrics ;_;

how many days exactly madoka screening in america?
Oct 22, 2012 4:21 PM
Dec 2011
amstrak said:
bambooXZX said:

In LA they are screening until this Thursday; everywhere else, it was only on Saturday.
Oct 22, 2012 5:13 PM
Oct 2012
I'm going to the LA screening tomorrow, I get to skip school to see it ^^ I'm so excited.
Oct 22, 2012 6:36 PM

Dec 2007
andrlch said:
amstrak said:

In LA they are screening until this Thursday; everywhere else, it was only on Saturday.

San Francisco actually had an additional one on Sunday, presumably because Saturday sold out so fast.
Oct 22, 2012 6:39 PM
Jul 2012
I live in new york and can take a 25 min train ride to watch this. Why do i have no anime friends :/
Oct 23, 2012 2:31 AM

Apr 2009
Shout out to my buddies who saw this with me on Saturday in Chicago.

I wrote a llittle something about the movie on my blog, I hope you guys like it!

http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/madoka-movie-1/
Oct 23, 2012 3:05 PM
Feb 2012
Seen the movies in Chicago and I really enjoyed them. I felt bad for some people because they left the theater during the credits of the second movie so they missed the trailer for the third movie that played afterwards. Still, can't wait for the third movie!
Oct 23, 2012 8:27 PM
Feb 2012
I was at Chicago screening also. My friends came back from college out of state solely just to watch these movies together. We forgot parking is terrible in Chicago and spent a hour looking for a place to park. We missed the VA interview, but at least we made it before the movie started. The scene of Madoka and Homura snuggling in the opening credits was pretty much all i wanted. Everyone in the theater was cheering for that scene.

The whole thing didn't feel like a rehash of the series, more like a polishing and refinement of the series. Improved visuals and animation, improved sound quality, remixed soundtrack, etc... To me, it reminded me of my feelings watching the series for the first time and now on the big screen. The experience was well worth it.

We were sitting in the center back row and noticed it was like about 30 people that left before the post credits trailer for movie 3. I somewhat feel bad for them for missing such an awesome teaser, but not too much. They should have expected there might be a extra scene or trailer for the third movie.
Oct 23, 2012 9:09 PM
May 2010
The movies were amazing. I was also at the Chicago screening and had an fantastic night seeing it. The first movie felt like it was a little long but it wasn't a major detractor. I can not wait to see the 3rd movie!
Oct 24, 2012 2:08 AM

Apr 2009
CHICAGO BROS
Oct 24, 2012 6:07 PM

Apr 2011
wuaah! I envy you guys.. You got to see the movie :(
In my case, need to wait when it comes available in BD or stream online....
Oct 25, 2012 3:12 AM
Aug 2008
I was actually in Japan when I saw this, it was freaking epic on the big screen! I am very interested to see what they do with the other movies ^_^
Oct 25, 2012 6:22 PM
Apr 2011
I want to see this so freaking bad T____________T
Oct 25, 2012 11:48 PM

Jul 2008
Yay for LA film showings!! XD
Just got back from the showing at 6!
Nov 10, 2012 2:58 AM

Sep 2011
Watched the movie at Singapore's Anime Festival Asia. Can't say it's really epic like in the TV series, since I've already known the plot and all the twists, but still the new animation, music and the free goodies made the 25 dollars worth it.
Nov 10, 2012 3:09 AM

Aug 2009
Why cant my stupid country do the same and show the movies here as well?
Oh yeah we are still in debt so only Twilight-quality movies for us...
Nov 10, 2012 3:14 AM
May 2010
Oh. My. God. I cannot believe that this is a recap movie. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but c'mon, you know this movie deserves the praise. Everything looks colourful and alive, so much so that even with the normal-sized screen that the movie was played on at the Anime Festival Asia 2012 Singapore, the animation was good enough that I could immense myself so much more than I could with the TV series.

Story-wise and character-wise, however, they are pretty much the same. That is, it isn't a bad point, either. It's nice to revisit the world again, and the consolidation of eight episodes into a single movie was very nicely done, with little to no details or characterization left out, at all. If anything, there was only a single part that was left out - Mami advising Sayaka to not choose her wish recklessly. Instead, the movie made it that Sayaka realize that without any advising from Mami. And with the Mermaid Shoujo being my favorite gal outta the quintet, it was nice to see that the cancelation of that scene (intentional or not) actually developed Sayaka a little further.

Aside from that, there was also one thing that made the movie experience much more different than the TV series. That is, it's a movie.

What I meant is, it's a movie where you sit around with a group of audience and experience Madoka's tragic tale together. It's a total experience from watching the anime on your own, TBH. I never had a much more fun time watching a movie.
It was, to say the least, amazing. This is what every movie experience should be like, a two hour story that pulls us audience into another world.

Finally, I want to address one more thing. The first movie is comprised of the first eight episode of the series. There are 12 episodes altogether. That means, the second movie will be comprised of the final four episodes of the series, and then some new content, which will ultimately lead up to the (holy mother of god) extension story we've all been dying and craving for. Hopefully, my theory is correct, 'coz I'll be watching the second movie tomorrow.

Who said it's not great to be an anime fan in these times?
Nov 11, 2012 12:12 AM

Jul 2012
I watched both movies in 2 days at AFA Singapore, and honestly it was simply a great experience. It might have been a mere recap of the anime series as a whole, but it didn't fail to grip my emotions, it didn't fail to captivate. Sayaka's painful change into a witch, Mami's head biting experience, Kyoko's last sacrifice. These are all moments that we know and have watched, but it still evokes all those emotions despite that fact.

Before the first movie, there was a special segment of the Seiyuus sharing their thoughts about the movie. They mentioned about how they could voice act the characters better after knowing them well this time round. How true. The voice acting was one notch higher than in the anime (not saying that the anime one was bad, it was already good), and we could empathise with the characters that much better.

Visuals were stunning, and the new theme song was simply impactful. Besides, its sang by ClariS. Enough said.

After the second movie, there was a trailer for the third movie, which features new content (most likely an extension). Best part of the trailer was seeing

All in all, the movie experience was stunning and amazing, plus it comes with a bunch of nice premiums such as a poster and movie information booklets containing art. Well worth the money spent, and easily the best part of AFA for me =D
Dec 29, 2012 6:15 PM

Jul 2008
Great movie. My theater didn't play the 3rd movie teaser at the end though.
Dec 29, 2012 9:27 PM

Aug 2011
GarLogan78 said:

Neither did mine. I was pissed...
Dec 30, 2012 6:10 AM

Jun 2012
soge_king999 said:
GarLogan78 said:

You should be happy, that you could watch Madoka at least. I live in Germany and actually I am really disappointed, that we didn't get and seemingly don't get the chance to watch the movies in the near future.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Dec 30, 2012 6:56 PM

Sep 2009
What a great movie. It was disappointing that some scenes were cut for time such as
but the changes to the art/animation and the acting make the movie better overall compared to the show. Madoka series didn't have bad acting or anything, but the dramatic scenes in the movie have far more impact and emotion with the rerecordings, particularly the ones involving Homura.
PfhorDec 30, 2012 7:14 PM
Jan 2, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2011
Kyube said:
soge_king999 said:
GarLogan78 said:

You should be happy, that you could watch Madoka at least. I live in Germany and actually I am really disappointed, that we didn't get and seemingly don't get the chance to watch the movies in the near future.

Oh, I understand that. It's just that one of the main reasons I watched it was to see the trailer in a non-cam-ripped form. I also sat through the credits waiting for it. Neither of which was too bad, but whatever.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are the movies still watchable even for someone who never enjoyed the main series?

TheRailTracerMAL - May 11, 2019

4 by KaeraNyu »»
Feb 22, 2022 3:33 PM

» Are the movies the same as the TV series, are they worth watching?

smooki91 - Jul 25, 2013

8 by DinoPapiro »»
Aug 2, 2021 3:11 AM

» Can i watch without watching the main series

TiagoKobata - Sep 20, 2020

1 by JomyS »»
Sep 20, 2020 4:15 PM

» Movies or TV Show

nicoface - Jul 5, 2016

3 by anayeet »»
Dec 16, 2017 10:53 PM

» Dubs good?

krudtso - Oct 18, 2015

4 by spacebro »»
Nov 10, 2015 6:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.