Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 30, 2011 10:49 AM
Sep 2011
Mokoka's body was never found :P If fiction has taught me anything that means that she is still alive somewere
Sep 30, 2011 11:18 AM

Nov 2008
Here's something to think about for those who believe Yuri is Momoka.

Look closely at the picture of Momoka

Notice anything interesting about it? Like a birth mark of some sort on her chest?

Now if Yuri really was Momoka, she should have that mark too.

Unfortunately, I don't have episode 7 (the episode where Yuri was dressed in the lowest-cut dress we see her in), and the TV news article in Episode 8 has a microphone in the way of the important part, But I think I would remember seeing such a mark if she had one, so I think that Momoka = Masako is more likely.

Considering the circumstances, Mario could be somebody that Momoka found on the train with her and decided to look after, as there is a distinct possibility of Mario's parents dying in the attack to protect Mario. Or maybe Momoka protected Mario as his parents abandoned him to protect an older sister called Yuri?
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Sep 30, 2011 11:38 AM

Apr 2008
diadora said:
Jazzalyn said:

A bit after the scene with the man on the phone, there were two men who got out of a van and nodded to each other. They both kind of look like older versions of Kanba and Shouma. So I'm guessing that those two are brothers maybe? I'm thinking one of those men was the one on the phone. So maybe - one of them died in the blast and adopted the others son? Which would make Kanba and Shouma cousins instead of brothers.

These two looked EXACTLY the same, as identical twins.

So probably Tabuki-dad had a twin or something??

No, that's not it. If you look at the scene again, it's actually only their father, first nodding to one side, then nodding to the other.
Sep 30, 2011 11:45 AM

Apr 2011
Momoka (face not shown) = Himari (reincarnation)?

About adopted brother, maybe its Shou, because he doesn't look anything like his mom or dad.

Kanba has to be Himari sibling or else the motivation and emotions behind the incest love, will most its effect.
Sep 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Nov 2008
MapleRose said:

Another thing I noticed, when the father got the call from the hospital about the birth, he said it's a boy, meaning, there's only one baby, not twins. Hmm...

And in the preview, it looks like they got the diary back...

That kept bothering me too. I was thinking that maybe it was a typo, but since they kept repeating it, most likely not.
sexiji said:

So sad...

I loved that scene, so I had to pause it and get the screenshot!!!
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Sep 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Sep 2010
Hmm the penguin disappeared when Himari flat lined and died. So if Shou or Kanba dies then their respective penguin will die with them??
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 30, 2011 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
This episode further proves how great of a director Ikuhara is.

This show is fantastic.
Sep 30, 2011 12:01 PM
Jan 2011
7godeohs said:
IceBubbleTea said:
HOLY WATGAFALFHSFSHITTTTTTT!!!!! I've just been mindblown. This just gets better and better, lol. I cried when penguin 3 died.

And was it necessary for Himari to strip? Honestly! My little brother watches this!

Not sure how old your little brother is but here is a quick list of questionable things that have already happened before this episode:

1) Main character dying, traumatic ER scenes
2) Lusting after sister, implied kiss between siblings
3) Penguins looking up girls skirts
4) Ringo stalking to the point of living under the persons house
5) Woman with laser-sighted slingshot shooting people in the head
6) Semi-occult style frog face-humping session
7) Threat of torture for person strapped to table in basement of hospital
8) Ringo stripping and trying to RAPE Tabuki
9) [more I can't remember now, but I'm sure others can]

.....but you're concerned about him seeing some anime skin where everything is covered?

Yeah
Sep 30, 2011 12:03 PM

Sep 2011
Notice anything interesting about it? Like a birth mark of some sort on her chest?

I think that's the design on her shirt? I thought she might be wearing a necklace at first, but the" skin" below that line on her neck is paler than above. It does look kind of like the tip of that peach symbol though.
Sep 30, 2011 12:22 PM
Jun 2011
At least this explained the earlier scene where the penguin hat stuck her hand in kanba's chest. Also hasn't she been stripping from the very begining as part of the survival strategy transformation... that scene was not out of the place at all.

They never find something good in antartica do they? First it was the Thing then Tenshi Adam and now whatever otensibly turned Takakura dad into an eco terrorist. Also, can someone summarize Mary's story and what it implies a bit better? Is it foreshadowing a deal to be made with Sanetoshi? And if so can Shouma tell the future just like the diary can? Or was it something that happened before? Wtf is Shouma :O

This has to be the best new show in ages; not just this season.
spigotSep 30, 2011 12:28 PM
Sep 30, 2011 12:31 PM

May 2010
spigot said:
Sep 30, 2011 12:36 PM

Sep 2007
No one saw the reference at 3:00 ?
Dragon quest IV : 12 :

http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Maya
Sep 30, 2011 12:40 PM

Feb 2009
Probably the best ep so far. The show is really getting good now.

I feel bad for finding that scene at the end between the Penguin Queen and Kanba hot, but alas...
Sep 30, 2011 12:46 PM
Sep 2011
God. Amazing episode. I agree with the fact that Masako may = Momoka,

I mean there isn't no confirmed death of Momoka, and possibly after that incident Momoka may have lost her memory and cannot confirm what was her name and etc.

If so, it would fit since she now uses a weapon that erases everyone else's memory. e.o

LatteiSep 30, 2011 1:02 PM
Sep 30, 2011 1:07 PM

Aug 2010
nonlly said:
spigot said:

It's getting really good to be in the top for this year right now. If it's as mind-blowing and possibly better than Steins;Gate, then damn, it has to be. We just have to see. xD
Sep 30, 2011 1:45 PM

Aug 2010
wow some nice Kanba x Himari scenes, I guess the gas attack was replaced with huge scale explosions
I wonder where that mark on Tabuki's fingers are
holy freak I teared up so bad near the end O_O
Shouma going all trance was pretty cool too since it never happened before lol
THE PINK HAIRED DEVIL HAS REAPPEARED YET AGAIN O_O but seriously penguins and bunnies ._. way to integrate cute animals into a rather dramatic and complicated plot
but hey who's complaining right ;)
Sep 30, 2011 1:54 PM

Jan 2011
nonlly said:
spigot said:
[center]
Sep 30, 2011 1:56 PM

Jun 2009
FOEbulous-max said:
Here's something to think about for those who believe Yuri is Momoka.

Look closely at the picture of Momoka

Now if Yuri really was Momoka, she should have that mark too.

Unfortunately, I don't have episode 7 (the episode where Yuri was dressed in the lowest-cut dress we see her in), and the TV news article in Episode 8 has a microphone in the way of the important part, But I think I would remember seeing such a mark if she had one, so I think that Momoka = Masako is more likely.
Yeah, that's a shirt. But related to that, Episode 8 was when I first started to think that Yuri was Momoka because this is where Ringo lives:

And this is where Yuri lives:

Now, it's just suspicious on it's own that there's anything connecting Ringo and Yuri. Their only connection should be Tabuki. But the decoration on the door looks kind of like a peach to me. It might be a pretty big jump, but, from what little I can see of the illustration on Momoka's shirt, it looks like that also might be a peach... or an an upside-down heart. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but, like Ringo's name means apple, Momoka's name means peach.

Another possible peach:

Added irony if the Yuri = Momoka theory proves true:
Sep 30, 2011 2:19 PM

Nov 2009
wow so much imagery!!!!!!!!!! this episode was amazing. i dont really even know what to predict cuz i know its gonna ef up my mind in the end. i am really interested in shouma right now. whats his deal? i feel so bad for all of them...their lives are so tragic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2011 2:25 PM

Jan 2011

I came.
[center]
Sep 30, 2011 2:29 PM

Aug 2010
VioLink said:

I came.

Win pic of the day.
Sep 30, 2011 2:33 PM

Mar 2008
in before my longer comment about this episode.
DrHouse said:

is it really a peach? I mean.. have I up till now been eating wrong peaches? I've never seen a peach with such a sharp tip.. so could anybody point me to it?

what I did notice in that "peach" symbol is in fact a "moon" symbol, e.g., compare it to this pic:
And moon, just like water, represents the YIN part of the YIN-YANG.
Sep 30, 2011 2:58 PM

Jun 2009
soulelle said:
DrHouse said:

is it really a peach? I mean.. have I up till now been eating wrong peaches? I've never seen a peach with such a sharp tip.. so could anybody point me to it?

what I did notice in that "peach" symbol is in fact a "moon" symbol, e.g., compare it to this pic:
Eh, I think that they're usually drawn with a bit of a tapered end. These are some examples I get from a quick Google image search:
http://www.teareviewblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/peach_tea_sign.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QM-BpxfqrTY/TVA8HvkiYCI/AAAAAAAAAAU/s1DzCU22A2o/s748/peach.jpg

Granted, it's not usually that extreme, but I'm going to just use the excuse that it's obviously a very stylized representation of whatever it's supposed to be. I honestly can't think of what else it could be. The "moon" is just a very small part of it, and it doesn't explain what the green things/"leaves" or the pink thing/"peach" are.
Sep 30, 2011 3:03 PM

Sep 2011
I think that the peach looks like a stylized anime peach. I knew what it was right away.

Momoka means "peach tree flower" so there's some connection there.
Sep 30, 2011 3:42 PM

Aug 2007
imo it's a peach, very stylized and simplyfied, still the shape and proportions are correct. i'm liking this theory a lot ♥ this would also explain why yuri was never upset with ringo trying to obviously steal tabuki from her
Sep 30, 2011 3:55 PM

Aug 2010
IMO, that peach in the anime really just looks like an upside down heart symbol. That crescent moon is a good point out though, I don't know what it means.
Sep 30, 2011 3:56 PM

Jun 2008
Maddo_scientisto said:
ephemeralM said:
Orulyon said:
- Momoka might be Yuri? (so who is Mario and why is she with him?).
you mistook Masako for Yuri? Mario is Masako's brother and there's no connection between him and Yuri yet.

Yes he mixed some things up.

I would be more tempted to say that Momoka might be Yuri. Momoka's diary is fate and everything that happened in the book happened to Yuri.

S***, i meant Masako (Natsume) lol. thanks for reminding me. But well...we could have a possibility of Momoka being related to Yuri somehow. Yuri is just too "innocent" till now, and in Ikuhara, everyone always is connected to something.
But then, again, we dunno who is Mario, we just know that they´re probably siblings since they share the same surname.
btw, im a girl XP

Anyway, the hair color of Masako kinda looks like a bit of Momoka´s hair color...

And Damn, Shouma is probably adopted, so, we still have the incest pairing XP FTW.

and also,...did anyone noticed in the

YayPepsi said:

Momoka means "peach tree flower" so there's some connection there.

well, all i know is that the peaches in Japanese folklore and culture, symbolize "longevity" or "immortality". So i think its something so weird to give a name with that meaning to a girl who died so soon. It could be a coincidence, but i dont think it is, since we all see a lots of apples in the show, and Ringo means apple.and everyone and everything is connected somehow.
Other thing i noticed is that on the opening we can see Ringo disappearing into flames, who actually look like the flames "ashes" that "mary" stole from the goddess to put on the Apple Tree...

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Sep 30, 2011 4:00 PM

Jun 2011
ahhh so sad. i totally cried.
next episode this all needs to be resp;ved!!! O:
Sep 30, 2011 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
That was intense. I got kinda bored when Shouma started talking about Mary and lambs though.
Sep 30, 2011 4:09 PM

Aug 2010
SoFarGone said:
That was intense. I got kinda bored when Shouma started talking about Mary and lambs though.

If you say so, then the last 11 eps must be boring too. He basically did a retelling of what happened between the siblings in fairy tale format.
Sep 30, 2011 4:47 PM

Jun 2008
Jacut said:
This time, it really feels like Himari is dead, or more specifically, there would be no point in making her die a second time if it wasn't definitive. Fantastic episode.

I kinda agree there, why make her die if it's not definitive. Yet at the same time, the Princess (was her name ever mentioned? I keep on seeing ppl refer to her as the Princess of Crystal but don't remember seeing her referred to as such in the series) seems like a very important part of the plot, so I don't see them taking her out.

As for the story with Mary and the Lambs, I think it was something that happened before the series started. Mary is the father, and the Goddess is probably Sanetoshi, and they struck a deal or something in order to save the Apple Tree, which possibly represents Takakura mother. But the price for the deal was Himari's life
Sep 30, 2011 5:26 PM

Aug 2010
Btw, I'd like to notify people about what happened here...

Sep 30, 2011 6:18 PM

May 2009
How can this show be so perfect?

Sep 30, 2011 6:55 PM

Aug 2010
MelonSama said:

If only the MAL ratings were much higher... :\
Sep 30, 2011 7:00 PM
Jul 2011
MelonSama said:

Nobody knows whats going on, how can you criticize that?

dontthinklive said:
7godeohs said:
IceBubbleTea said:
HOLY WATGAFALFHSFSHITTTTTTT!!!!! I've just been mindblown. This just gets better and better, lol. I cried when penguin 3 died.

And was it necessary for Himari to strip? Honestly! My little brother watches this!

.....but you're concerned about him seeing some anime skin where everything is covered?

Nice rebuttals and examples on IceBubbleTea's points! Seeing skin when compared to those scenes isn't narly as bad. And to help strengthen you point, I will add examples from recent episodes to your list:

Episode 9) Himari accidentally causing a mirror to break on her mother in an implied violent scene, and as a long shot the "abstract children's boiler"
Episode 10) Penguin Number 2 sticking a butt monitor up a nurses butt, Natsume forcefully kissing Kanba, more implied "wincest" between Kanba and Himari. XD
Episode 11) Semi-occult style frog face humping session part II, poisoning of drink for rape of Tabuki pt.II

Well, hope I wasn't being obnoxious and was able to add to the discussion! (=

12) The "Fabulous Max" scenes with Yuri and the Producer in Ringo´s Mind

Until I watched it again I notice hot the things on Sanetochi´s helpers head match with the fairy tale bunnies, and the bunnies on the doctors office.

BTW , how come only one person commented that opening scene, to me is the most revealing of the episode:

Who was revived on that scene? Himari, making it a flashforward scene?
The logo and Force from Pinguforce comes from the Antartic Defence Force, and kind of explains all the penguin simbology, if they found something there it would not surprise that ended up being called penguin-something, for example penguindrum, as is teh representative animal.
Did Sanetoshi, the father and the doctor knew each other from before?

On the final scene:

Is clear that "Mary" is the father, he fits on the silouette perfectly, he did something that backfired on Himari, it seems and Sanetoshi or the bunnies guided him in doing so.

of the two brothers Kanba is the one that looks more like the father, so the odd man out is Sho, if not him and Himari, is certain that atleast one is not blood related to the other two, almost never real incest is shown.

so Momo(ka) is peach, Ringo is Apple are there more fruit names?
Sep 30, 2011 7:15 PM

Nov 2007
diadora said:
And why there were 2 fathers at one instance? Anybody noticed that ??
Yeah I did! My first guess was that their uncle who's in charge of their house is the father's twin, but that seems a bit too simple...

Anyway, yet another amazing episode. So many little hints that give rise to tons of theories. I guess it's not really the sarin gas attacks... probably inspired by them though.

I noticed the "it's a boy" too. I like the theory that Shouma/Kanba is actually the dad's dead twin brother's kid.
amayadoriSep 30, 2011 7:19 PM

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Sep 30, 2011 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
SoFarGone said:

I was wondering what kind of crack he was smoking his sister is dying and he talking about nursery rhymes and shit.
[center]
Sep 30, 2011 7:20 PM

Jan 2011
GigaSPX said:

What happened there?
[center]
Sep 30, 2011 7:24 PM

Nov 2007
soulelle said:
DrHouse said:

I believe it's a kind of stylised peach, like other people have said. The peach in momotaro for example is also drawn this way. It's quite common in Japanese art.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Sep 30, 2011 7:35 PM

Aug 2010
Amaya-no-Hime said:
diadora said:
And why there were 2 fathers at one instance? Anybody noticed that ??
Yeah I did! My first guess was that their uncle who's in charge of their house is the father's twin, but that seems a bit too simple...

Anyway, yet another amazing episode. So many little hints that give rise to tons of theories. I guess it's not really the sarin gas attacks... probably inspired by them though.

I noticed the "it's a boy" too. I like the theory that Shouma/Kanba is actually the dad's dead twin brother's kid.

I said this in a different topic, but it's the same person, just two different screenshots. He was actually nodding to the two NPCs standing next to the van as he got out. He was nodding them to proceed with the plan.

Why they said it's a boy beats me, but it's possible the doctors didn't detect another child when they got the first one out.

VioLink said:
GigaSPX said:

What happened there?

Ha, my bad. I wanted to ask people around here that question.
Sep 30, 2011 8:03 PM

Nov 2007
GigaSPX said:
I said this in a different topic, but it's the same person, just two different screenshots. He was actually nodding to the two NPCs standing next to the van as he got out. He was nodding them to proceed with the plan.
I rewatched the scene and that makes a lot of sense... Guess I was just going theory-happy. Haha.

Sep 30, 2011 8:16 PM

Aug 2010
I'll say, it's a neat theory everyone was having about twin fathers, but I rewatched it just once to confirm it.

I really do want to know what happened with kid Tabuki's hand at the funeral...
Sep 30, 2011 8:36 PM

Sep 2007
That was a strange incestuous scene between Kanda and Himari. So in the end, fate has rejected Kanda's insistence that he take this sister's place.
Sep 30, 2011 8:54 PM

Feb 2009
I never got the impression that Kanda wasn't "strong" enough to save Himari, but perhaps Himari fighting the Princess to not take away his life force. I mean, if it was Himari's decision, there is no way she would let him go through with something like that for her, right?

That was one emotional rollercoaster of an episode. Penguindrum, you are definitely sitting in a smug spot of a 10 right now!
Sep 30, 2011 9:52 PM
Jun 2008
too much foreshadow this show it is.....
Sep 30, 2011 10:27 PM

Jun 2010
So much win......crammed into a 23 minute show.....how is that possible?! Love the show, want to learn more about Shouma's Father and the organization he worked for.
Sep 30, 2011 10:31 PM

Oct 2010
I strongly believe that Shoma's story about Mary and the Little Lambs refers to his own family. Most likely the father did something that he wasn't supposed to do and now poor Himari is facing the consequences.

This series is very confusing but awesome at the same time. I can't wait to see how everything plays out.
"El Psy Congroo"
Sep 30, 2011 11:03 PM

Sep 2011
Whatever those scars were, it seems Tabuki has shed them in his adulthood.

Sep 30, 2011 11:10 PM
Mar 2011
this show just keeps getting better and better
"....i am the villain in this story"
Sep 30, 2011 11:31 PM

Jan 2011
MapleRose said:
Jacut said:
This time, it really feels like Himari is dead, or more specifically, there would be no point in making her die a second time if it wasn't definitive. Fantastic episode.
I kinda agree there, why make her die if it's not definitive. Yet at the same time, the Princess (was her name ever mentioned? I keep on seeing ppl refer to her as the Princess of Crystal but don't remember seeing her referred to as such in the series) seems like a very important part of the plot, so I don't see them taking her out.

As for the story with Mary and the Lambs, I think it was something that happened before the series started. Mary is the father, and the Goddess is probably Sanetoshi, and they struck a deal or something in order to save the Apple Tree, which possibly represents Takakura mother. But the price for the deal was Himari's life

Nuffsaid. This show is aiming for my favorites, every episode makes me more curious and sometimes give me a mindfuck, but I like that. In my opinion Himari is dead for sure, it won't make any sense if she dies 3 times. At least not from the current perspective.
GigaSPX said:

Same for me.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.