How would you rate this anime?
Jul 23, 2010 8:39 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Aru Tabibito no Nikki

MAL Anime Information Page: Aru Tabibito no Nikki

MAL Score – 7.73 (by 2104 users)
Ranked - #658
Popularity - #1205

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Aru Tabibito no Nikki was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
13 Yes - 40.6%
19 No - 59.3%

30 Don't know this anime - 46.8% of the total number polled
2 Abstained - 3.1% of the total number polled
santetjanAug 2, 2010 2:16 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 23, 2010 1:30 PM

Dec 2007
An ode to simplicity.

Adorable art, adorable elements, beautiful moments.

Will be a yes.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 23, 2010 1:50 PM

Nov 2007
Imaginative setting but completely forgettable.

No.
Jul 24, 2010 10:58 PM

Oct 2008
Tenchio said:

well that really depends. I for one found it memorable. And I agree with ladyxzeus
Jul 25, 2010 1:55 PM

Dec 2008
No.

It was very nice and relaxing. It reminded me of those Dr. Suess books I read as a kid. Very imaginative. However, it's very simple. Although I enjoyed, it's not a 10.
Jul 25, 2010 5:35 PM

Nov 2008
Tenchio said:

That sounds about right to me. But I know that I enjoyed what little I actually remember, though.

Looks like a "yes" for me.
Jul 25, 2010 6:11 PM

Sep 2007
I walk into a room and see two clocks on a wall. One of them is working but the other's hands don't move. Both of them can serve as decoration, but then one of them also tells time. This is how I feel about Diary of Tortov Roddle and as you may have guessed, Roddle is the broken clock. Nothing here other than some visuals, but there are plenty of other shows out there that provide stunning visual scenery and still have a story to go with it.

Easy no.
Jul 25, 2010 7:23 PM

Mar 2009
I'd have to agree with the naysayers here. Enjoyed what I saw --but it's just something you spend a couple of minutes then ah, moving on~
Jul 26, 2010 8:01 AM

Jul 2007
One hell of a screensaver.
Jul 27, 2010 9:03 PM

Feb 2009
This is a minimal work that tries to convey feelings captured in moments. It mostly works like any surreal imagery. Whether or not this kind of art clicks with you, is a personal matter. I personally enjoyed the art work, the atmosphere and the idea of this show. It felt like watching a visual Haiku.

Jul 28, 2010 9:46 AM
May 2009
I liked this piece. I think the best aspect of the piece is the calm mood. Consider all of it together. You have a surreal world with towns on the backs of giant frogs, fish in cups of coffee, and yet it almost seems commonplace. What is Tortov's response to seeing the city float off into the ocean? He sits back, watches it all, and simply says that he was eluded by the inn. I think it's Tortov's rather calm acceptance of all the oddities that doubles the surrealism and makes it far better than Cat Soup. The mood is further strengthened by the music, the art, and the fact that all together Tortov is not doing anything too unusual , just everything unusual is happening to him. He looks for an inn, he sits in a cafe with a cup of coffee, he catches a woman's hat, and yet in that normality you throw a trolley full of humanoid rabbits going to the moon. I'm giving it a yes.
Jul 29, 2010 6:52 PM

Sep 2007
Ah, personally I wouldn't even put this anywhere remotely near Cat Soup since that is a surreal piece with intention and impact. While Tortov is like taking a stroll down someone's sidewalk and noticing some random flowers blooming nearby, Cat Soup is more like walking down a path through someone's immaculately planned garden.

Cat Soup is about a young cat's denial of his sister's death that results in him retreating into a fantasy world in his mind and turning things into an adventure: his sister isn't dead, she's just had part of her soul removed and he must quest and retrieve it. But ultimately, after all the great times and journeying, Nyatta's imagination runs out and he's forced back into reality and must accept that nobody can turn back the clock. This movie is even better if a person is familiar with Cat Soup Theater and has seen Nyako and Nyatta's inseparable sibling relationship.

Very powerful movie imo and that's why it's one of my 10s. While Cat Soup might have less impact on some viewers, I don't think Tortov evokes much feeling by comparison.
Jul 29, 2010 7:53 PM

Feb 2009
I believe it's not suitable to compare DoTR with Cat soup. Cat soup is intentionally telling a story and DoTR is intentionally not telling one. Cat soup and DoTR are both really good anime in my opinion but comparing them with each other is a bit off. I mean you never compare the video clips David Fincher directed for pop singers to Fight Club. They are made to serve totally different purposes in totally different time spans. Although they might carry the same elements (as cat soup and DoTR are both carrying the surrealism elements), they're totally different animals.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.