Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 21, 2016 10:30 AM

Aug 2016
Wow, Rika apparently died a horrible death. That's a really bad way to go....
Jan 20, 2017 3:10 PM
Jan 2012
I like this arc. It explained a few things and it was only two-episodes long.

Poor Rika, though!
Feb 6, 2017 9:19 AM

Jan 2016
I liked this arc as I was worried it will kill off the protagonist but glad, after all the blood and gore previously, that it didn't happen.
usama7660 said:
This arc looked like it was prequel/sequel to previous arc. If so didn't Oishi disappeared in the previous arc. How did he reappear in the last flash forward part??

That's a good question... Maybe it's likely he didn't disappear at all (as far as I remember, Keichi only heard that Oishi's car was missing) and that Keichi was imagining it.
And that it's possible the reason the town was killed was not because Keichi wished it, but because...
DeathfireD said:
Ah ha so Rika is Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation so if she dies the town dies.

Also I seemed to have missed the entire part about Rika being Oyashiro's reincarnation. Didn't even notice o_o
Mar 8, 2017 10:40 PM

Feb 2016
I am so confused... There is finally a developing series of overlapping 'truths' that happens in several arcs, and a plot is starting to reveal itself, maybe. Some sort of 'logic' the viewer can grab desperately unto and hope it's not a purposeful litter of lies.

But I don't get some of the arcs like the first arc and the arc where shion was introduced... I also don't understand why keiichi experiences a different story and 'ending' in every arc he is in as a mc. If it were not for that, then the central storyline brought forth by Rika's prophecies would make sense.

But you know, getting his throat cut or being thrown off a bridge or being tortured in hospital. What the hell is going on?

Or Rika now be shown twice as being killed and left disembowelled at the shrine is different to the first few initial arcs where she falls off the cliff or is killed by a demonic Mion.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 8, 2017 11:16 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 6, 2017 8:05 AM

May 2015
Poor Rika. The fate is hard to avoid. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 7, 2018 5:43 PM

Sep 2017
The detective is such an idiot and a fruit. He knew of all of these and did nothing. He should have heeded Rika's words and gone back home the first time. He is that stupid and inefficient. If it were me, I would have told to screw the investigation and went back home. That cabinet's grandson would have returned home anyway.

So, Rika can apparently predict the future. Then those deaths of Rika in 2nd arc happened. But, I don't think they can actually predict the future. Unless if this is supernatural. That would explain why Keiichi was pushed outta the bridge 2 episode ago even with safety.

But this was boring. Also, why did they let his wife go to the terrace? She should have just stayed there. She has a BABY IN HER WOMB FOR GODS'S SAKE. DIDN'T SHE THINK THAT SHE COULD DEVELOP CONTRACTIONS WHILE WALKING ON THE STAIRS? IS SHE STUPID? RETARD SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN HER BED AND READ A BOOK.

Putting that aside, it looks like this season ain't gonna give us answers. If that is the case, I will rate this independent of the second season. I don't care if the second season gives me the theory of everything if that happens. If the first season ain't gonna give me what I want, I will down rate it. They should have put the first and second season together if they didn't want this to happen.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 12, 2019 2:44 AM

Aug 2018
Damn so Rika is the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama. I was not expecting that at all. She can see the future so like I predicted a couple episodes back this show has something to do with timelines and stuff like that.

If Rika is a God though it's kinda weird that she couldn't prevent her own death and damn what a gruesome way to go. Also is it just me or did Rika not age at all? Her appearance looks exactly the same as it was 5 years later. Since we're dealing with time and she's a God I guess it's possible but surely others would have noticed, right?

The cop went missing so I thought he was dead but apparently he's alive.
I think Rika is a different personality and is possessed by Oyashiro-sama. I have no idea what Oyashiro-sama wants, does he want peace? If so why have the gruesome murders every year? Also who is Oyashiro-sama gonna reincarnate into now?
If I had to guess I'd say the demons (Mion) are the ones responsible for all the murders and Oyashiro-sama is powerless to stop them. I think Mion is also the one who killed Rika. When Rika said "This place is filled with those who don't care about people's lives" she was probably referring to the demons and all those that Mion can control.

Maybe Rika can go back in time to change the outcome? She was saying something about "erasing the moon called death by casting a pebble may be possible". She might be trying to change the outcome of the timeline and keeps going back in time to do so, similar to Steins Gate and Madoka.
Also in a couple arcs back Rika told that it would be difficult but she would protect Keichi. The fact that Keichi is the only survivor can't be a coincidence.

Damn there's too many things to consider. I might be completely wrong about everything. This show is the type that might require a rewatch once I finish both seasons.
<Insert clever quote>
Jul 27, 2019 3:14 PM
Apr 2016
It's goddamn amazing how all of this connected at the end. Even more paths have been opened.
Jan 22, 2020 4:50 AM

Dec 2013
I thought I'm the only one who finds this and the orevious episode a bit boring. But good thing they showed these eps because it's making sense now. So Yukie's death also involved the town's incidents? I'm shocked that Akasaka San (I hope I got his name right) wasn't even annoyed when all the telephone lines were cut off when he needs to contact his family

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Feb 23, 2020 6:04 AM

Nov 2013
“But erasing the moon called death reflected on the water’s surface by casting a pebble may be possible”

What a phrase that is!

She’s talking about creating a ‘ripple’ on the water’s surface to avoid death (reflected Moon). Not entirely sure if this has relevance in the future, but there is definitely something meaningful with this line!

Great episode!
Mar 17, 2020 2:36 AM
Sep 2019
Is this the turning point of the series? Showing some actual and active connection with previous storylines.
Also, it was good seeing a new character and not the same idiot again. I found his relationship with Rika very cute.
Apr 24, 2020 12:42 AM

Feb 2018
Rika is the Oyashiro-sama reincarnation?
May 17, 2020 11:46 AM
Oct 2019
Ok ok. Rika knew all these events would happen before they did... Pieces are kind of fitting together. Except for Keiichi. He died in 1983 in that first timeline arc. But then in timeline arc 3 (where Rika is murdered) he falls into the river before the rest of the town dies from the gas. Doesn't add up.

Rika's murder is so sad. Glad Akasaka lived. Sorry bout his wife. Is he the one who cracks this mystery?

Good timeline. Sitting 8/10 overall.
May 25, 2020 10:49 AM

May 2018
I see. Rika is a prophet xD
Jul 9, 2020 9:23 PM

Aug 2018
That was a pretty good arc, not as good as the other ones but not bad. Still cant get over how cute Rika is <3

Aug 28, 2020 5:49 AM

May 2016
Poor Rika she was trying to ask for help I she got was a exclamation mark...
Aug 30, 2020 5:48 PM

Aug 2013
Interesting little arc this was. Poor Rika. She even knew her own death. :(

Sep 9, 2020 2:49 AM

Apr 2013
So this arc in combination with the last arc kinda makes sense. The whole timeline-thing still has not been explained though, this show really needs you to be patient... I hope.
Oct 2, 2020 6:34 AM

Nov 2018
Fast prediction : Shion is behind most of this and she was supposedly the one killing everyone in 2nd arc.
I hate everyone equally
Oct 12, 2020 1:39 AM

Jan 2020
This arc was quite decent in my opinion. Because of it, the story is actually starting to make some sense. Let's see how they will initiate the next arc.

And poor Akasaka. I'm saddened to see that his wife died. I'm glad that their child is fine, though.
Oct 14, 2020 7:53 AM
Oct 2019
Finally we have some answers ... It's about time, i love the time setting in this episode, so the earlier part it was like 5 years before the explosion and the later part was right after the explosion
Oct 20, 2020 12:22 AM

Apr 2020
So this was related to the 3rd arc (with Satoko's Uncle). Feel bad because his wife passed away.

Seems like next arc is going to concentrate on Satoshi's side of the story. Hope we get to see more of Rika to figure out what kind of "powers" she has that helps her predict the future.

AbiSaOct 20, 2020 12:37 AM
--AbiSa--
Oct 23, 2020 6:15 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh my, the sign of Rika, actually supposed to save Akasaka, not made him death. But its his wife! Damn. Once again, i am always failed to suspect. The timeline, unexpectedly following the last arc event too, which was seemed a bit weird to me. Because that Oishi didn't even mentioned Keiichi, or was he even existed there? Oh well, i still knew nothing. Whats goin on behind that timeline, actually?

Also, Rika roles kinda had a big stand there, better than before, knewing all of her ability to predict the future. Its already hinted nice at some arc, like in Mion arc, and the first one. But why she couldn't resist her own death? Shit. Its still too much puzzle. Even on the next arc too. Should they continued, or restart again? And whats the connections between all of them? Lets see the next one, then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 29, 2020 3:54 AM

Oct 2016
Short arc, but a very meaningful one. We got some answers, but at the same time we also got even more questions.

Damn, Akasaka actually lived but, his wife didn't :(. Should have believed Rika's words but it is too late for that.

There has been hints here and there that, Rika somehow knows what is going to happen now it has been confirmed. But, is it really seeing the future. Or is it because she has relived those moments plenty of time already hmm. Let's go next arc is the first answer arc.
Mar 11, 2021 6:54 PM

May 2020
Unlike a lot of people, I didn't seem to think this episode/arc is very boring. We got a lot of things explained to us and this arc definitely seems interconnected to some of the other arcs, although I'm still skeptical because if the arcs really are interconnected, how does Keiichi die twice?
Apr 24, 2021 7:54 AM

Jun 2020
No way is this short arc boring. Didn’t answer many questions but it’s interesting how it seems to be in the same timeline as the previous one that ended with all of them but Keiichi being killed & it didn’t “reset” entirely. I actually really enjoyed it & really liked Akasaka’s character. Shame tho that his wife had to die like that...

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

May 24, 2021 10:14 AM

Oct 2016
In the previous arcs of the visual novel/sound novel, it was mentioned that Rika is Oyashiro-sama's incarnation, but I don't think I heard about it in the anime. That explains why a lot of people here were surprised by it, especially those who didn't read the sound novel before watching the anime.
Dec 18, 2021 6:57 AM

Jun 2020
Wow a well crafted chapter, the subtlety in which the hints and revaltions are delivered is just awesome. Great going forward.

davidyodo24 said:
Finally we have some answers ... It's about time, i love the time setting in this episode, so the earlier part it was like 5 years before the explosion and the later part was right after the explosion

Totally Agree with this

RKASHYAP621Dec 18, 2021 7:01 AM
Dec 20, 2021 7:43 PM
Dec 2017
another dark episode.

Jun 1, 2022 10:46 AM
Nov 2020
Ooook, so we are back that the place where we left. So now as far as I can think, we are seeing that post toxic leak accident. So keichi must be alive too or maybe dead in a hospital.

Maybe Rika can't see after her death... I can't wonder what she was feeling all those years, knowing her end. She even asked for help...
Aug 28, 2022 8:58 AM

Feb 2021
Well, they did get the kid back and the dam's construction was halted.

Rika had warned Akasaka to not make that call because she already predicted that his wife had died during childbirth. She also told him to return to Tokyo. I feel sad for this dude. Imagine coming home after a deadly mission, and then discovering that your wife and unborn child died. He must have felt so guilty about his wife's death since it was avoidable only if he was there.

I'm surprised Oishi wasn't in Hinamizawa during the gas leak. Wasn't he missing at the time of Keiichi cursing the village?

Okay, this storyline was pretty clear to me and it made sense + it fell into the timelines correctly.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.