Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 15, 2008 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Rika = Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation?! o_o;
This was such a boring arc but that last revelation about Rika has me completely intrigued.
Apr 16, 2008 12:01 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, the story's making sense now. Wow! This is really a masterpiece. I hope that the animation will improve though. Well, they said that 2nd season has a lot of improvement in terms of animation. ^_^

I really love this series. Since I'm really into psychological, mystery genre.

+ GORE AND BLOOD! That's make it so much SUGOI!
Jun 8, 2008 7:30 PM

Oct 2007
boring arc.. boring ep .. tho the 2º half of it had some interesting parts..

so..

1978 - rika foretolds the future deaths [it's when this arc took place]
1979 - chooped dam guy .. arm still not found
1980- Satoko's parents death .. mother's body not found
1981- Rika's parents death .. unknown illness .. mother suicides, body never found
1982- Satoko's aunt killed by Satoko Nii Nii [supposedly] =p
1983+ - Rika's death foretold.. Mion killed her? o.O
1983 - Too Many facts to state ... that's the confusing part ... =x
Jul 9, 2008 10:17 AM

May 2008
It's a little boring but not THAT boring...that's why it's called "The time-wasting chapter".

But everything seems to be making sense now! ^^ As for the animation,it really improves in the second season (so they say) but Higurashi's known for aspects other than the animation..:>

babykeiji said:

+ GORE AND BLOOD! That's make it so much SUGOI!

Exactly. :>
Jul 13, 2008 8:18 PM

Jun 2008
Weird chapter... it's like a prequel and a sequel to the last one =/

Boring... except for the part about Rika.. Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation??? wtf??? o_O

Sig WILL change soon~
Jul 20, 2008 2:03 PM

Mar 2008
oh boy confusing but making more sense at the same time ><
Jul 23, 2008 10:22 AM

Jul 2008
uh so yukie died from that curse ???? weird o0 btw every arc is a event that happend in the past ?? aaaargh to confusing rofl.... Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation o0 to hard for my little brain :P anyway up to the next ep....

Grtz lsumi
Born to live
Born to die
Born to be, crucified
Give our souls and take our pride
Bleeding for the harder styles
Rising up, from the seed
Born to change, history
From the streets we unleash hell
Feel the power, decibel!! d(^.^)b
Aug 20, 2008 7:32 PM

May 2008
Forwarding the opinion that this was a boring arc.
This was the most boring arc thus far, and this is generally not a boring show.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 22, 2008 8:26 PM

Sep 2008
Long and drawn out, and answered very few questions. Why did all this happen? I'm assuming that Rika knew all that info because she had been sitting in on the 3 houses meetings, but why did the killings occur?

(I still refuse to believe anything supernatural is occurring)

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Oct 2, 2008 8:07 PM

Jul 2008
Each arc seems to get more boring and this arc proves to be true. Although it is somewhat explaining a few things. I mean, technically, to me, this is the same arc as the last one. According to this all the events from the last one actually took place. Guess I'm just going to have to continue watching to find out.
Oct 4, 2008 12:04 PM

Jan 2008
Argh~ my head is gonna 'splode!`
~de Arimasu
Oct 30, 2008 5:39 PM

Aug 2008
StabbyPWNS said:
Weird chapter... it's like a prequel and a sequel to the last one =/

Boring... except for the part about Rika.. Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation??? wtf??? o_O

I'm sure they NEVER mentioned that before. I thought that Mion and Rena were the incarnations before... In their respective arcs.
So what? The stuff in the arc prior to this really did happened? ._. Wasn't Keiichi the sole survivor? T__T
And yes, this was a boring arc...

Nov 1, 2008 3:41 AM

Jun 2007
Ah ha so Rika is Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation so if she dies the town dies.

Mion is in line to inherit her family. One of the 3 head family's. She also seems to have a split personality with an ogre half.

Rena seems to be a psychopath that can kill when angered.

Keiichi hallucinates to the point where he cant tell a hallucination from reality.

It's all coming together nicely.

I'm guessing the nurse plays some kind of role in this since she looks suspicious in almost every ep shes in. She also looks like a killer. The doctor also grabs my attention. He seems to nice but then again I could be wrong.

PS. did the family, the women specifically, at the end of the table look like Keiichi's mom in the part where they where having the town meeting?
Dec 11, 2008 1:03 AM

Jul 2008
Rika as a instrument to Oyashiro-sama's curse.
Mar 8, 2009 8:05 PM

May 2008
Not as good as the last arcs but still good as it explains a little bit. Although I would still like to know more on Rika and who/what she really is/was. Not enough crazy characters in this arc. :p
Mar 24, 2009 7:22 AM

Jan 2008
I didn't find this arc boring at all, I'm glad it took place and sorted out few things, also answering some questions. Will we see Satoshi in the next one? I hope we will.
Jul 7, 2009 9:40 PM

May 2009
Great episode, but somewhat makes things confusing, like ok, this is kind of like an answer to the last arc why rika died right, i mean i know we already knew it but now we know she knew it, anyway, my question is when will we get any answers for the first 2 arcs, which were probably the best.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jul 8, 2009 10:40 AM

Mar 2009
This arc looked like it was prequel/sequel to previous arc. If so didn't Oishi disappeared in the previous arc. How did he reappear in the last flash forward part??
Jul 16, 2009 3:38 PM

Nov 2007
ok, so if she was drugged before she was killed. . . .. what was that part at the start of episode 5 where she beats her head against a knife?
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Aug 1, 2009 12:41 AM

Jul 2009
Boring? Not at all... a shift in protagonists was interesting, and some interesting plot revelations were brought up.

Everything's not entirely clear, yet, no, but I wasn't expecting any different.
Aug 5, 2009 7:28 AM

Apr 2009
bubbleboy352 said:
ok, so if she was drugged before she was killed. . . .. what was that part at the start of episode 5 where she beats her head against a knife?

That part also has me baffled. Hopefully, it will be explained later.
Aug 7, 2009 7:06 PM

Dec 2007
So some of the stories are actually interconnected. I assume that keiichi dying in episode 4 doesn't count in the timeline, and 5-8 episode arc deaths also don't count.
Aug 12, 2009 9:12 PM

Aug 2007
Woo, this is confusing... But it's a good kind of confusion.
Aug 24, 2009 11:11 PM

Mar 2009
I like how she makes no mention of the children being abused there. Atleast if you get out, try and mention it so that possibly they can rid the orphanage of scum like that. Oh well, i guess she doesn't care about others = x
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Sep 4, 2009 8:29 PM

Aug 2008
Rika says some amazing things. First there was the hypothetical conversation with Keiichi about the cat that went into the shrine and now this great quote. "It's possible to erase the moon called death reflected on the water's surface by casting a pebble."
Sep 12, 2009 2:29 PM

Aug 2009
Finally, the story is making some sense now... But I'm still kinda confused! >.<
Sep 12, 2009 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
Felt sad for Mamoru, first off he got needlessly shot as the boy would have been released the following that anyway.
And then to find out his wife died because she wanted to pray for his safety and if he would have gone back when Rika told him too she would still be alive =/

Ultimately his visit there lead to nothing but the loss of his wife and the feeling he let poor Rika die, talk about a bad trip.
Sep 29, 2009 11:59 AM

Sep 2008
I kinda liked this arc, at least it was way better than the crappy second arc.
Jan 1, 2010 2:00 PM

Jul 2008
Am I the only one who loved this arc? It was way less confusing and tied in a lot of questions.

So from what I gather, all the events in this anime are continuous not just an arc..
Jan 2, 2010 6:31 AM

Aug 2009
I found it boring n_n but I've been watching all night and day~ Maybe I should take a break!!
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Jan 29, 2010 11:34 AM

Aug 2008
big wow after that episode but i'm still confused, so explosion took place, and thus Keichi lives.and in that case the first part when he died? Rika provides for future...interesting.
Feb 6, 2010 12:35 PM

Jun 2009
I'm totlay confused now D:
Mar 9, 2010 9:43 PM
Feb 2010
Animatronix said:
So some of the stories are actually interconnected. I assume that keiichi dying in episode 4 doesn't count in the timeline, and 5-8 episode arc deaths also don't count.

You forgot to mention the fact that during the previous arc, when he was killing Satoko's uncle, everyone acted as if he was at the festival.

The things they said he did during the festival were exactly the same things that he did in the first arc.

I also believe that at the end of the previous arc, they rushed him to the hospital since he was the only survivor (even though he had already died prior to the disaster). I believe that that version of him is the arc 2 version as he was killed in the hospital in the second arc.
Mar 17, 2010 6:22 PM

Jan 2010
Finally, things are starting to make sense.
My interpretation: the story arcs that show whatever happened during 1983 are possibilities of what could happen at the end of Oyashiro's curse (or as part of the grand finale). Maybe all these events are able tol trigger that grand finale, where eventually the whole village dies?
Mar 19, 2010 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
I don't quite get something... is this whole series supposed to be a continuity? Cause if that's the case then I don't get the first arc... i think it can't be linked with this...
Or maybe isn't everything linked together, as i thought it wasn't until now, and it's mostly like pairs of episodes..? like this one linked with the previous arc only?

I just don't get the whole picture yet... :/

Hiro-san said:
My interpretation: the story arcs that show whatever happened during 1983 are possibilities of what could happen at the end of Oyashiro's curse (or as part of the grand finale). Maybe all these events are able tol trigger that grand finale, where eventually the whole village dies?

So.. it's like some things as the end of the village are certainty, and we are witnessing different paths to this conclusion through each arc? makes sense to me..!
JusticeUndoneMar 19, 2010 4:10 PM
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Mar 20, 2010 2:08 PM

Mar 2010
Finally u get to know Satoshi story
Mar 30, 2010 9:54 AM

Jan 2010
What is bugging me are the first two arcs that seem to be one and the same, but occurred in different ways. In the first Keichi killed Rena and Mino and committed suicide, while in the second Mino (or whoever that was, since Mino was actually found at the bottom of the well) killed practically everyone.
Apr 6, 2010 12:06 PM

Jan 2010
yeah unfortunately i know who killed rika because of some dude spoiling it :\...you will not guess in a thousand years who did it xD

but still this remains misterious as hell,i'm really enjoying it :D

it's about a 9/10 for me so far but it can get to 10 :-)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 14, 2010 6:15 PM

Jan 2010
I like this shift in the arc because it's explaining things alittle more so not everyone is so friggin confused... I'm glad that dude survived so far, too bad about his wife though :(

And, wow, Rika must be an enormous part of everything. She knew every single event.

The only thing that confuses me, is, why they only showed Rika getting killed the one time before this? Is this like a continuation of the arc before this? Because Rika was killed other times, too. OR, were those times just so long ago that the decetive dude wasnt yet born and the main characters keep being reborn? That wouldn't make sense, though, because then the detective and all the other people in the show would be reborn, too.

I'm just confusing myself more...
Apr 22, 2010 7:09 PM

Feb 2010
I loved this arc. I think it was refreshing to have a shift of characters and also I think this arc was very important in regards to solving the mystery whis is all about. Although I cannot say why exactly but I feel closer to understanding it now ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 12, 2010 10:34 PM

Jun 2009
Errr...So are all the arcs supposed to be connected or not? Because the first two can't possibly be since Keichii died twice. And wasn't he the only survivor of the disaster? This is confusing...
Jul 2, 2010 6:38 AM

Dec 2009
Interesting , poor Rika , gotta be tough seeing your own death and waiting for it >_> ...
Jul 7, 2010 8:13 AM

Mar 2010
This arc was rather boring, except for the information about Rika..Next episode, here i come!!!
Jul 14, 2010 7:56 PM

Aug 2009
Not my favorite arc I guess
If Rika foresaw her death, why didn't she do anything about it.
I'm guessing Rika knew everything that happened in the other arcs now
aaand that Keiichi probably died in the volcanic gas accident in this version - no survivors were mentioned?
Aug 5, 2010 7:59 AM

Aug 2009
clannad4ever said:
yeah unfortunately i know who killed rika because of some dude spoiling it :...you will not guess in a thousand years who did it xD

but still this remains misterious as hell,i'm really enjoying it :D

it's about a 9/10 for me so far but it can get to 10 :-)

Ooishi..

I'm not sure , i'm just guessing , it's not a spoiler.

Wel.. Rika knew about everything , she somehow 'asked' Akasaka for help , but..
Oct 15, 2010 9:37 PM

Nov 2009
POOR RIKA!!! Mr. Aka Saka could have saved her!!! and then no one would have died!!! And Mr. Aka Saka should have went home when Rika told him 2!!! Now Aka Saka's wife is dead and its all his and her and the nurses fault!!! and i dont get it... she was prego when she died wasnt she??? an she landed on her stomach... so wouldnt the baby have died as well in the impact??? but no the baby is okay... and thats good =) at least Aka Saka has his kid!!! I feel really bad for Aka Saka though... the kid was gonna be let go anyway??? so Aka Saka didnt have 2 do all that??? you know what its his bosses fault as well!!! and every1 else that was 2 lazy 2 take on the case!!! and OMG RIKA'S the fortune teller!!! i knew it somewhat... *i actually thought she was the one putting ppl other places and bringing others to life but now i see i was wrong ehehe. . .* anyway this was an AMAZING epi!!! Orishi is still alive XP and OLD!!! XD id love to know the whole connection with Rika knowing everything and Satako's family dieing then hers then Sataco's then her... it probably means nothing with the Rika and Sataco thing i just found it weird haha but i am curious now!!! i wanna watch more haha
Nov 1, 2010 8:39 PM

Sep 2010
meh arc. need moar blood

the ending is intriguing however. everything is slowly starting to tie in.

Hiro-san said:

o.O that kinda makes sense

Nov 3, 2010 2:26 PM

Aug 2010
Holy Moly!!! Even Rika can be scary, this is getting intriguing

Im so sad Asakasa's wife died, how unfortunate. Dam that Curse!
billngNov 3, 2010 3:24 PM
Nov 14, 2010 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
So if Rika is the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama and the series of murders were set up by him and predicted by Rika, why would he be angered when she died? Surely there must be another reason why everyone in the village was killed after Rika's death...
Dec 1, 2010 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
Zell182 said:
So if Rika is the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama and the series of murders were set up by him and predicted by Rika, why would he be angered when she died? Surely there must be another reason why everyone in the village was killed after Rika's death...

i thought the cause of everyone dying was because of what Keiichi said right before he fell into the water. "that everyone in the town would die" or something along those lines.
but its hard to stop watching this. i just want to see the final conclusion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.