Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 8, 2010 11:45 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I guess it was a nice story and the different storylines matched. But still it's kind of an episodic anime in which the circumstances are always chosen to match the preconceived story and not that the story itself appears as the logical result of the circumstances... They could do better

Also too little Rio.
KinetaNov 25, 2012 11:01 AM
Feb 8, 2010 12:50 PM

Nov 2008
Very interesting episode. A delightful change in character exploration to their town's influence which doesn't make it as bleak as previously thought.

Aside from that, it was kind of obvious they didn't actually kill the dudes since it would change our perspective of them dramatically.
Feb 8, 2010 1:06 PM

Dec 2008
needs more reinhardxkircheis XD
Feb 8, 2010 1:39 PM

Oct 2008
Not all that bad. Kind of liked the expository format of it.
Feb 8, 2010 3:51 PM
Dec 2008
Rio in dat outfit.
Feb 8, 2010 4:23 PM

Sep 2007
What the fuck just happened? Moe military anime turned mafia? What is this I don't even. I kind of figured they didn't actually kill the guys when started ripping out the machine guns. The anime is too moe to be shooting anybody up mafia style.

So I'm guessing the great big secret they were keeping from Kanata is they were involved in illegally distilling liquor? What a disappointment. I was hoping for something more grand... like a top secret military project or something.

And Noel seems to be enjoying this just a bit too much ._.
Feb 8, 2010 4:24 PM

Sep 2008
I actually liked the episode, but I felt the skipping around kind of felt lame. I guess viewers were supposed to laugh when they found out the truth to the events.

Playing mafia seems fun though, them and their snazzy suits.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2010 4:29 PM

Apr 2009
I like how they did that "act," it was like a cold reminder of them being soldiers...

Feb 8, 2010 4:50 PM

Aug 2009
What's this Durarara-esque storytelling doing in my apocalyptic military moe anime?

Filicia in that outfit....*snap* anyway, I was surprised to see that the charges for that bootlegging would have been rather severe. I actually like when shows do the "intertwining stories" thing. It's just something I enjoy.

Wasabi said:

"Feel lucky punk?"
Feb 8, 2010 5:55 PM

Nov 2008
garfield15 said:
What's this Durarara-esque storytelling doing in my apocalyptic military moe anime?

Don't you mean Baccano?
Feb 8, 2010 7:39 PM

Jan 2008
Well, They're in Normandie. They make Calvados. I love Calvados. I've been treasuring each sip, nusing this one bottle for 11 years. I'll cry when the last drop is gone.

So I can understand, It's worth killing for.
Feb 8, 2010 8:58 PM

Feb 2008
Maximatum99 said:
garfield15 said:

Don't you mean Baccano?

i am pretty sure its a scheme that has been used many times with numerous variations. its not like those other ones came up with this method.

for a second there i thought someone was having some sort of fantasy. turned out to be an act but didn't know they could hold those big guns hahaha. well they really are soldiers after all.
Feb 8, 2010 9:22 PM

Nov 2006
Rio is so hot.
Feb 8, 2010 9:45 PM

Nov 2008
kisami said:
Maximatum99 said:
garfield15 said:

Don't you mean Baccano?

i am pretty sure its a scheme that has been used many times with numerous variations. its not like those other ones came up with this method.

That's pretty obvious. Although he makes it sound it came from Durarara but I wanted to correct him even that animu had the influence of the same director of Baccano.
Feb 8, 2010 11:24 PM

Sep 2009
I was kinda surprised by the whole mafia thing at first. Overall an ok epiosde. I wouldn't mind some more dramatic storytelling from time to time.
Feb 8, 2010 11:58 PM

Jul 2009
garfield15 said:
"Feel lucky punk?"

May Cal be blessed by happiness. R.I.P Cal

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Feb 9, 2010 12:32 AM

Oct 2009
So Rio/Filicia/Noel and Kureha clean the crime competition in the town as a side job to get money....sounds like insulting Al Capone around if you ask me.....but it was cute....too bad they did not kill those guys (did they use rubber bullets or planks?) anyways it's amazing so GIF is a must=>

The background story of Mishio was sad with her mother dying of disease=>
and father possibly dying in the army but heartwarming at Yumina getting the box and braiding her hair. One of Rio was also heart warming with her mother doing alcohol in the past (I am thinking that was it?). Kanata was nice in her civilian clothing=>
and brave for saving Mishio but I did not like Mishio's sudden slapping of Yumina. Nice moral here I had a problem with that as a kid due to personal reason within family=>
Who is this "invisible reaper" from here=>
For those interested vingt here=>
means 20. Filicia GIFs for who wants=>
Al Capone must be rolling in his grave at this.
BitchMaster said:
garfield15 said:
"Feel lucky punk?"

May Cal be blessed by happiness. R.I.P Cal

I don't think Capone would like this show.
saxophone15 said:
I was kinda surprised by the whole mafia thing at first.
Yes same thing except it will never beat Tony Montana.
windy said:
Rio is so hot.
With her hair down after a shower....yes!
francismeunierFeb 9, 2010 12:36 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 9, 2010 4:30 AM
Jun 2008
The " Yo Ro Shi Ku " remind me of an anime....kinda forgotten
Feb 9, 2010 8:09 AM

Jan 2009
...wait, "Kanata's day off"? Aren't they always having their days off (¬_¬)
I kinda lol'd at the scene with the so-called deal (・3・ア

Anyways, can't say I really like any of the characters especially much except for Noel and Yumina ┐('~`;)┌
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Feb 9, 2010 9:18 AM

May 2008
Very spectacular episode. If only they could find some way to weave it into an overall plot.

I would say something about Rio being cool like the others, but she's always cool. She's way too awesome for her comparisons to Mio from K-On.

It started off very very cool with a mob related opening and town interworkings. And what little of an action scene we got very good and engaging.

And then dissolving that into a very touching orphan drama event is a good way to make an episode. Which it doesn't add much to an overall military plot, it is a well rounded way to do an episode that can excite a viewer in many good ways.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 9, 2010 2:06 PM

Mar 2009
datsunvic said:
Well, They're in Normandie. They make Calvados.

No, they're in a spanish town in the french part of Switzerland and make Calvados.
You'll regret this...
Feb 9, 2010 3:10 PM

May 2008
I feel that it's most likely a Post World War Two alternate history town in Spain where the Axis powers won and Germany and Japan expanded heavily in it's sphere of influence.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 9, 2010 4:28 PM
Jun 2009
it was nice,but a bit confusing at the beggining...it was entretaining though...
noel seemed to enjoy the act xD
Feb 9, 2010 4:51 PM

Jan 2008
Biribiri said:
datsunvic said:
Well, They're in Normandie. They make Calvados.

No, they're in a spanish town in the french part of Switzerland and make Calvados.

You're right. My bad. I errored again trying to apply R/L to anime. One day, I'll get it.
Feb 9, 2010 6:20 PM

Mar 2008
Eh, my favorite so far. I'm getting pretty tired of this anime though :/ I hope it gets better since we're halfway through.
Feb 9, 2010 7:05 PM

Feb 2009
That was pretty good with its Baccano-like way to tell the story and mafia elements.

I wonder what the "invisible reaper" is. A stealth bomber?
Feb 9, 2010 7:16 PM

Apr 2009
Interesting beginning :D
Feb 9, 2010 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
Alexstratz said:
lol

...plague/some kind of illness more likely.
Feb 9, 2010 9:39 PM

Sep 2007
Merridian said:
Alexstratz said:
lol

I'm thinking it's probably radiation from all the nuclear fallout that turned where ever into No Man's Land.
Feb 9, 2010 10:34 PM

Jul 2009
even though this episode continued with the slice of life theme of the previous episodes I still think that there is a good chance there will be some good action, as each episode, while not seemingly related, could possibly be all connected in some manner that we do not know yet.
I think that towards the end of the anime all the episodes will be connected into a single plot and that there will be much more action and conflict at that point.
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Feb 10, 2010 1:57 AM

Oct 2009
Wasabi said:
Merridian said:
Alexstratz said:
lol

I'm thinking it's probably radiation from all the nuclear fallout that turned where ever into No Man's Land.
I would have to say....can it be that tank? It does have stealth and legs it walks on....

Feb 10, 2010 5:04 AM

Jun 2009
this episode was rather touching, don't you think?
Feb 10, 2010 8:19 AM

Jan 2009
I'm starting to think that they intentionally put in like.. ~2min or less actual story into each episode, to see if that works to keep us hooked enough to watch the next episode to get the next 2min of story, and then we get puzzle-time in the last episode =.='
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Feb 10, 2010 8:40 AM
Jul 2018
Wasabi said:
I’m not so eager to believe in nuclear fallout speculation. There are far too many holes in logistics for that interpretation to mesh with the information we’ve been given so far. Future eps should reveal more history, but as of ep 6 I think the nuclear bombardment theory is sitting on very uneven ground.

francismeunier said:
I would have to say....can it be that tank? It does have stealth and legs it walks on....
lol

--We’re told “her mother was claimed by the invisible reaper” or some such phrase
--Last shot of her mother in flashback consisted of mom on bed, sweating, telling daughter final words, daughter cries
--House still largely intact, showing no signs of explosions or utter devastation that could be attributed to shelling, bombing, etc.; most ‘damage’ present only relates to typical aging and dilapidation resultant from lack of upkeep

Illness makes the most sense. Severe depopulation of land due to constant warfare implies a lack of doctors and medical facilities. Loss of husband would entail extra strain on household (particularly on mother, since the daughter wasn’t exactly old enough to take up all the tasks that the father was probably doing around the house) which would lead to higher stress levels that are IRL reflected with weakened immune system. Radiation sickness might turn out to be factor if nuclear fallout theory proves to be the case (which I highly doubt).

aka Husband dies --> Mom's depressed --> Mom picks up workload while raising kid --> Mom's stressed but doing best she can --> House steadily falls into disrepair due to inability to maintain it --> Mom gets sick, few doctors & fewer facilities mean Mom doesn't get treated --> illness worsens, Mom dies --> child goes to orphanage, house abandoned.
Feb 10, 2010 10:00 AM

Aug 2008
I just didn't like this episode. I don't really like when stories are told out of order for no real reason. Maybe because it was obvious to me how everything was going to turn out that I just sat baffled at the horrendous idea of everyone dressed up playing gangster, but I found the whole episode to be very bland.
Feb 10, 2010 10:22 AM

May 2007
That mountain was cheaply put together.

Feb 10, 2010 11:15 AM

Dec 2009
The mafia-scene was pretty obvious, but still, it looked great.
The "Please braid my hair"-moment actually made my eyes teary for a second or two, which made me really suprised. It didn't feel emotional at all, still my eyes got teary.
The Invisible Reaper sounds interesting.

I love the.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Feb 10, 2010 12:04 PM

Jul 2009
TAB said:
That mountain was cheaply put together.

I would have to agree. I still cant see how the distance between Mishio/Kanata and the base of the building (it had to be about 20 feet) could have accounted for the falling rocks, though it could have been the falling piece of rusty gutter but that seems unlikely.

Marow said:
The "Please braid my hair"-moment actually made my eyes teary for a second or two, which made me really suprised. It didn't feel emotional at all, still my eyes got teary.

the same thing happened to me, I think it was a moe overdose that caused my eyes to get teary.
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Feb 10, 2010 3:05 PM

Jul 2009
Byou said:

Still, Rio > Mio.

Gitah>>>>>>>> Mio > Rio > Mugi > Ritsu > The rest, 'nuff said.

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Feb 10, 2010 4:00 PM

Jul 2009
Wasabi said:

Wah, someone posted before me xD

that one and this here

made noel my favourite char in this series ^^
Even if our opinions differ, you are awesome!
Feb 10, 2010 10:51 PM

Apr 2009
I believe the narrative technique in this episode is called in media res.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InMediasRes
Feb 10, 2010 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
@vucubcaquix: Not really. In media res simply means that the narrative kicked off literally "in the middle of things", without any prior explanation, and then (usually) spends a little while catching the audience up before progressing the story. This episode began at the beginning of the story, and then split, telling two stories focused around interrelated events that happened at the same time.
Feb 10, 2010 11:12 PM

Oct 2009
Merridian said:
@vucubcaquix: Not really. In media res simply means that the narrative kicked off literally "in the middle of things", without any prior explanation, and then (usually) spends a little while catching the audience up before progressing the story. This episode began at the beginning of the story, and then split, telling two stories focused around interrelated events that happened at the same time.
I agree but not quite.....there was no explanation of why they do that side job other than hints that they might not be getting enough money.....
vucubcaquix said:
I believe the narrative technique in this episode is called in media res.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InMediasRes

Interesting thing.
Merridian said:
Wasabi said:
I’m not so eager to believe in nuclear fallout speculation. There are far too many holes in logistics for that interpretation to mesh with the information we’ve been given so far. Future eps should reveal more history, but as of ep 6 I think the nuclear bombardment theory is sitting on very uneven ground.

francismeunier said:
lol

--We’re told “her mother was claimed by the invisible reaper” or some such phrase

Yes but it can anything at this point.
Merridian said:
--Last shot of her mother in flashback consisted of mom on bed, sweating, telling daughter final words, daughter cries
That might have been the after effect of the invisible reaper.
Merridian said:
--House still largely intact, showing no signs of explosions or utter devastation that could be attributed to shelling, bombing, etc.; most ‘damage’ present only relates to typical aging and dilapidation resultant from lack of upkeep

The outside was not shown nor mentioned either.
Merridian said:
Illness makes the most sense. Severe depopulation of land due to constant warfare implies a lack of doctors and medical facilities. Loss of husband would entail extra strain on household (particularly on mother, since the daughter wasn’t exactly old enough to take up all the tasks that the father was probably doing around the house) which would lead to higher stress levels that are IRL reflected with weakened immune system.
Ok logically I agree with that but once again that could be due to the outisde having been devastated by that invisible reaper.
Merridian said:
Radiation sickness might turn out to be factor if nuclear fallout theory proves to be the case (which I highly doubt).

It could be but also biological or chemical.
Merridian said:
aka Husband dies --> Mom's depressed --> Mom picks up workload while raising kid --> Mom's stressed but doing best she can --> House steadily falls into disrepair due to inability to maintain it --> Mom gets sick, few doctors & fewer facilities mean Mom doesn't get treated --> illness worsens, Mom dies --> child goes to orphanage, house abandoned.
Could also be land and village devastated, illness starts because of that therefore all that you said starts but the original invisible reaper did all this prior due to it's warfare capabilities......it remains to be seen if that little girl reacts to that tank and there is a flashback about it in the future episode if not then your thing stands as it is.
francismeunierFeb 10, 2010 11:21 PM

Feb 11, 2010 6:59 AM

Jan 2009
Oh god please, stop francis, you're making my stomach hurt ( ´∀`)
Feb 11, 2010 7:41 AM

Oct 2009
Oosran said:
Rofl....take some THUMS they help.

Feb 11, 2010 7:43 AM

Jan 2009
francismeunier said:
Oosran said:
Rofl....take some THUMS they help.
No really, just did it again xD.. Oh well, I'm fine as soon as I stop lauging 8D
Feb 11, 2010 8:04 AM

Aug 2009
This episode just went Baccano style. However, I always get the feeling that I'm getting trolled at each episodes.
-Fixing-
Feb 11, 2010 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
francismeunier said:
there was no explanation of why they do that side job other than hints that they might not be getting enough money.....
that’s not quite the same thing, though. These are more secondary plot elements rather than explicit plot developments. If the episode had kicked off with the girls shooting up the bootleggers, spent next seven minutes showing the audience the events leading up to that, and then progressed from there, then it’d be a solid example of the in media res technique. Leaving certain elements unexplained is more like foreshadowing and it adds to intrigue in order to keep viewer interested in story.
francismeunier said:
The outside was not shown nor mentioned either.

Feb 11, 2010 2:47 PM

Feb 2010
It was OK. Mostly for the first part, it was really fun the pretending and Noel really fits to that suit.^^
The second part involving Kanata was lame, I don't liked very much.
Feb 11, 2010 5:48 PM

Aug 2008
HNNNNG THAT RIO.

That is all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kerlyenai - Feb 15, 2010

142 by James-LastOmnic »»
Jan 19, 9:11 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

264 by SX6 »»
Jan 17, 11:28 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.