Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2010 3:16 PM

Feb 2009
Since this is the "old school" club, I figured we should have a thread like this.

Right now I'm watching two titles- Kimagure Orange Road and Urusei Yatsura.

I'm through 16 episodes of KOR, and while it's cute and I really like Madoka, for me it hasn't quite lived up to the lofty expectations I had before watching it. With Maison Ikkoku I was struck by its charm and sense of humor and melancholy and nostalgic feel right away, this one's taking a little longer to warm up for me and hasn't yet pulled the heartstrings the way I thought it would.

Not to say it's bad by any stretch, though- that's mainly because of Madoka, who is IMO the most interesting and alluring character in the series so far. I see why she was considered such a babe by fans back in the day.

Urusei Yatsura, though, is every bit as good as I thought it would be, with the rampant silliness that just escalates without stopping, the occasional breaking of the fourth wall, and a feel to the humor at times that's sort of like an anime version of "Fractured Fairy Tales", especially episode 11. 13 episodes in on that one.
RobdeFRDec 6, 2010 9:39 PM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 28, 2010 3:31 PM

Apr 2008
Very good idea for a topic. Where it was previously was just meant to be forgotten I believe.

Don't expect KOR to be on a near level of MI. Just enjoy it for what it is.
I had read KOR manga years ago and previous to my watching of the anime, and as most examples the manga it's way better, but still not on a near level of KOR though. Sometimes I used to make that error of expecting some rom,antic comedies to be on the level of MI and that just wouldnt work right for hem.
Yes, Madoka is really lovely. One of the loveliest female anime characters of the 80s.

I have also started on Urusei Yatsura episode by episode every now and then since somewhere near the end of 2008. I had previously watched most episodes of it on TV but I didn't watched all the episodes. I am somewhere past episode 120 now, I hope to end it sometime soon too. It's just great. I enjoy every bit of it, especially Megane apparitions.
I believe Slenderfall is also watching it at the time.

I'm also watching lot's of ongoing old school anime that are being released every now and then. I'll make a list later, now it's time for bed around here. Tomorrow is another day of early struggle for living.
RobdeFRJan 28, 2010 3:34 PM
Jan 28, 2010 4:00 PM

Nov 2007
I love Kimagure Orange Road despite Hikaru being my least favorite anime character ever. Funny that you're watching Urusei Yatsura at the same time since Hikaru is basically a shitty version of Lum. Madoka however is awesome in just about every way so it balanced out. Kyosuke has his ups and downs, but his inner monologue was such an interesting aspect of the show. You'll grow to enjoy the series more as it goes. The first movie is the best part as far as I'm concerned.

I started Gatchaman last night from where I left off. I have up to episode 60 on DVD so that leaves me with 36 eps for now. Probably more than enough for the time being since the super robot style formula is quite present.
Jan 28, 2010 4:20 PM

Mar 2009
Yep Urusei Yatsura is a real rollercoaster of a show I have been taking a break from it for a while

Currently watching Galaxy Express 999 which is fine in small doses plus my son loves it so try and watch lots of eps when he is with me

Also watching probably the one of best series of all time (which I am sure most of you have seen) LotGH - and when I say best series of all time I mean anime and real life too. The plot, characters and especially the dialouge is beyond a mere mortal can describe.

Since I watch alot of old movies and OVAs I will post here anything I think worthy or not here - its late here too - so nighty nite :)

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jan 28, 2010 5:17 PM

Feb 2008
Dragon Ball Z - Say what you will, but I'll always have a soft spot for it. Just rolled into it after finishing Dragon Ball for the first time recently... and I know Hisoka can back me up here, the Japanese version is a completely different show. The US DB/Z is honestly pretty much Robotech, they messed a lot of stuff up, replaced what didn't need to be replaced (music), etc. The voice acting cast is pretty insane too, up there with LOGH and stuff, lots of classics.

Space Battleship Yamato - Watching this one slowly here and there. It's awesome, just a bit episodic sometimes. Still amazing how great it looks to this day though, and the music is amazing.

Hokuto no Ken - Kind of watching it off and on, barely. It's pretty fun just not insanely engaging right now, but I'm not that far in yet.

Layzner/Dougram - Keeping up with the subs with these two. I love the director and think these two are definitely up there with Votoms and his best works. Good serious mecha. Dougram is like the LOGH of mecha!

Recently finished Vifam, it was really fun. A bit more comical than I expected, but it had a great fun and inviting vibe to it. Hope somebody subs the sequels someday. And now I want proper subs for Dragonar even more (same director!)
Jan 28, 2010 9:14 PM

Jan 2008
@ArnoldK

KOR is an old favorite of mine as the first series I ever finished it will always be a special series to me that I will remember fondly. Having said that it really doesn't compare very well to MI as it felt like the character relationships were far more static and things kind of stayed the same throughout the majority of the series. This isn't to say it doesn't stand well on it's own merits it has a really strong 80s feel to it, really good music and the use of "The Power" really gives it some interesting situations. I also thought the series conclusion (Movie 1) was a really powerful way to end the series (Although I like to pretend that Movie 2 doesn't exist too).

Urusei Yatsura is a really fun show and probably one of the more influential shows out there with lots of other shows borrowing the basic ideas or copying it heavily (Mendou in particular seems to get copied a lot and put in other series). It's light and fun and i think everyone should at the very least give it a shot and check a couple of episodes out. Of course I need to get actually finish the series myself one of these days.

Also i've been watching LoGH lately, i'm 74 episodes in and loving pretty much everything about it. One of the best series i've had the pleasure of watching.
DremarkJan 28, 2010 9:23 PM
Feb 20, 2010 5:50 AM

Oct 2007
The only old school anime that I'm currently watching is Urusei Yatsura. Great anime. I've read the manga a long time ago and I've watched some eps in 1991. Now I'm watching the whole anime.

Yesterday I've re-watched Saint Seiya: Legend of Crimson Youth and Saint Seiya: Warriors of the Final Holy Battle. The first time that I've watched Saint Seiya: Legend of Crimson Youth was on cinema with my father (1994 or 1995).

I'll also watch Heavy Metal L-Gaim I: Pentagona Window + Lady Gyabure, Heavy Metal L-Gaim II: Feaweru My Love + Pentagona Doors and Heavy Metal L-Gaim III: Fullmetal Soldier ASAP, probably today.
Feb 20, 2010 7:22 AM

Dec 2009
Saks said:

probably today.

No, not today.(( I'm seeding at 30-40k & making breaks at night.
Please join & support russian oldschool distributors: http://oldanime.forumer.com/index.php
Feb 20, 2010 1:37 PM

Apr 2008
Saks said:
Yesterday I've re-watched Saint Seiya: Legend of Crimson Youth and Saint Seiya: Warriors of the Final Holy Battle. The first time that I've watched Saint Seiya: Legend of Crimson Youth was on cinema with my father (1994 or 1995).

It was on 95. I have family on Brazil so I was on hollyday there at that summer and also got to watch it on the cinema too.
I know of a Portuguese fansub that released the movie subbed, if you're interested I can provide you the link.

inactiveX said:
Saks said:

probably today.

I've also seen that one around, I also have to get it.
Feb 20, 2010 6:14 PM

Oct 2007
inactiveX said:

No problem. The d/l has just finished now. I'll watch right now. Actually we're in different time zones, so still is "Today" (22:50). Thank you very much for sharing the anime. ^^

RobdeFR said:
It was on 95. I have family on Brazil so I was on hollyday there at that summer and also got to watch it on the cinema too.
I know of a Portuguese fansub that released the movie subbed, if you're interested I can provide you the link.

Oh, I had no idea that you've been here before. Who knows we didn't watch the SS movie in the same cinema room xD. About the fansub, I got the portuguese-br version. Anyway, thank you!

I'll also watch the Fuma no Kojirou: Fuma Hanran-hen. Finally I'll see the story end.
Feb 20, 2010 8:04 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, I have some family in Recife. I spent the june to august of 1995 there. It was pretty cool to see two episodes of Saint Seiya on the TV everyday, one in the morning and another in the evening. I remember it was quite the Saint Seiya madness going on on those days there, it was ok with me because I was a super fan already.

Those folks at ILA were talking about releasing Fuma No Kojirou some years ago, I guess they never released it. I have yet to watch anything Fuma No Kojirou.
Feb 22, 2010 6:01 PM

Aug 2007
Thanks to RobdeFR's comments on it, I picked up Animated Classics of Japanese Literature. Watched the first ep last night and enjoyed it. Shame that half of the stories weren't released, but what's out now is good. Hopefully someday someone will sub the rest.
Feb 24, 2010 10:02 AM

Oct 2009
I've been watching Ashita no Joe for some time now, but I've only gotten as far as 16 episodes. I'm gonna watch more even though I don't understand most of what the characters say. Doesn't make that much sense, but hey, it Ashita no Joe we're talking about! Lack of subs just isn't an obstacle big enough to stop me from watching a legendary classic like this.

I really like Space Runaway Ideon, so I started watching Gundam recently, too. I figured I should at least watch the original Gundam, because, well, it's Gundam. And I've liked it so far.

I'm also rewatching Touch, just about the best anime I've ever seen. If it's a true masterpiece, you just can't get enough of it!
Feb 24, 2010 7:47 PM

Apr 2008
GoldenBoy55 said:
I've been watching Ashita no Joe for some time now, but I've only gotten as far as 16 episodes. I'm gonna watch more even though I don't understand most of what the characters say. Doesn't make that much sense, but hey, it Ashita no Joe we're talking about! Lack of subs just isn't an obstacle big enough to stop me from watching a legendary classic like this.

I had previously downloaded some 30 episodes of Ashita No Joe from another fansub/DVD ripper some years ago but I never went too further with it before, so now I was and still am following Saizen subs but I feel tempted to go and pick my burned DVD where I have the rest of the epispdes up to the 33th. The story really improved near the tenth episode and I can understand why it may have become a huge classic.
Still I have a lot to catch on that one, I believe the story will get better and better.

GoldenBoy55 said:

I really like Space Runaway Ideon, so I started watching Gundam recently, too. I figured I should at least watch the original Gundam, because, well, it's Gundam. And I've liked it so far.
If you enjoyed Ideon you'll certainly like Gundam. At least 80s Gundam. :)

GoldenBoy55 said:

I'm also rewatching Touch, just about the best anime I've ever seen. If it's a true masterpiece, you just can't get enough of it!

I'm rewatching Touch too, thanks to C-A new files, YAY for them.

KTKore said:
Thanks to RobdeFR's comments on it, I picked up Animated Classics of Japanese Literature. Watched the first ep last night and enjoyed it. Shame that half of the stories weren't released, but what's out now is good. Hopefully someday someone will sub the rest.

I'm glad my words could be of some help. Have you watched episodes 25 and 26, "The Burmese Harp" story?
Feb 24, 2010 8:20 PM
Jul 2018
I'm slowly making my way through MSGundam, but progress is slow due to shamelessly letting newer stuff take priority. I watched Ideon a few months ago and was seriously underwhelmed, but so far Gundam's been great (all 8 episodes so far).

When I eventually finish Gundam I plan on picking up the first City Hunter series. That probably won't be for at least a month, though.
Feb 24, 2010 8:55 PM

Feb 2008
City Hunter ... MOKKORI, I mean, YES!

Enjoy it.
Feb 25, 2010 4:46 PM

Jan 2008
KTKore said:

I remember that. I finally own parts of the series. Not sure of what order things are in though. Have you watched Botchan yet?
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Feb 27, 2010 8:05 AM

Oct 2007
I'm going to watch Devilman (1972) and Future GPX Cyber Formula (the whole franchise).
Feb 27, 2010 12:39 PM

Apr 2008
I have Devilman here to watch someday. I believe the files are from some of those infamous HK rips that are floating around.
Mar 1, 2010 12:58 PM

Nov 2007
Watching the newly subbed Ashita no Joe eps.
Mar 2, 2010 12:23 PM

Mar 2009
Watching City Hunter - I think I will need to watch this in small doses as I think I could get a little irritated with the humour

Mar 3, 2010 5:59 AM

Apr 2008
I also have to get to City Hunter. It is a anime which you could watch from time to time due to it's episodic nature.
Mar 5, 2010 2:14 PM

Oct 2007
I've just started to watch H2.
Mar 5, 2010 8:07 PM

Apr 2008
H2. Good catch. I believe you're aware that the anime doesn't cover the whole manga right?
Mar 6, 2010 7:43 AM

Oct 2007
Yes. I've d/led the manga. I'll read it after I finish the anime - Monday, I guess..

Do you know what chapter is the last H2 episode?
Mar 6, 2010 12:56 PM

Apr 2008
I don't remember precisely anymore, but I think the anime only had covered a couple of volumes past the 10th volume, out of 34 volumes.
Mar 6, 2010 5:07 PM

Apr 2008
And if you're watching the ILA files, be aware that the translation is horrible. I'd really recommend you to read the Manga Screener translations later, though it would have been better if you'd had chosen that way from the beginning.

Anyway, I loved the animation and the music that went along, it suited it fairly well. Some people complained about the character designs not being that faithful with the Adachi ones, but they were close enough, so no harm there, at least for me and I'm an Adachi fan.
The real thing that bothered most people about H2 anime was the lack of ending, otherwise it would have been a real 90s classic. When the anime ended, the manga was still running, so they opted to stop there. A pity though that they never went to complete the job, a similar case as it was with Berserk.

Sorry if I did spoil it for you about the anime having an open ending, but I believe that that information is needed beforehand in order to appreciate the anime for what it is.
Mar 6, 2010 6:18 PM

Oct 2007
Thx for the information. I'm watching the ILA version, unfortunately. Before I got the files, a friend informed me about problems with the ILA translation. " I swear, this is by far the WORST anime translation EVER" - his words. But no worry, I know basic japanese. I understand pretty much what they are talking about.

The character design is really a bit strange, but Adachi's spirit is there in every character. And don't need sorry, I've suspected it would be an open ending. Up to now, it take a 7 from me.
Mar 6, 2010 7:42 PM

Nov 2007
Pretty sure ILA just took the HK dvds and tweaked them ever so slightly. Those were pretty damn bad, but not the worst translation I've seen by any means. There was never a time where I didn't know what was going on. The one big problem I have with H2 is that it makes me want to watch Touch instead. I don't like to compare stuff much, but in this case I just couldn't help it since it's the same creator and about baseball. I watched H2 a few years before Touch even so I'm mostly talking about when I rewatched it. I didn't have this problem with Katsu (boxing manga) or Slow Step since they were less similar. How is Cross Game in this aspect? I'm hoping it's different enough where I don't have this problem.
Mar 7, 2010 8:49 AM

Oct 2007
If you've had a problem with H2 because it seems Touch, you will have a problem with Cross Game. For me, Cross game is a "Touch v2". However, I love both series.
Mar 7, 2010 10:58 AM

Apr 2008
It's a little over it actually. For Cross Game, Adachi not only uses classic elements from Touch, as he also uses elements from H2 and even Katsu. It's Adachi, so it's quality material, but not as good and original as his previous works for sure.

For me I see things this way;
Touch - 80s Adachi baseball story
H2 - 90s Adachi baseball story
Cross Game - 00s Adachi baseball story

And each one of them is influenced by the decade they belong to. If you have this in mind and understand the changes that anime suffered through time and each decades differences, which most of us around here do, you can take the conclusion just by the simple comparison above.
RobdeFRMar 7, 2010 11:04 AM
Mar 7, 2010 11:33 AM

Oct 2007
I've just finished watching H2. Now I'm going to watch Mahoujin Guru Guru.
Mar 10, 2010 9:38 PM

Nov 2007
Rewatching Akage no Anne.
Mar 11, 2010 2:05 PM

Feb 2008
I love/hate ILA as well, it's nice they do a lot of obscure stuff, but their translations are hardly great and consistent. Cue the original Cobra series (what bugged me more was that the font/style changed like 4 times).
Mar 27, 2010 5:11 AM

Apr 2008
Started Baldios today.
Blue Fixer is doing a great job there, hope they release more frferquently since the anime seems to be a lost mecha jewel from the past.

On a side note. It have some similarities with STP Layzner on the part where "main character comes from his planet and joins earth fighting his former planet people".
Apr 10, 2010 6:19 AM

Apr 2008
Finally decided to start Yuusha Raideen, to catch up with the fansub.

This is insane, another 70s mecha that I start watching, and Akira Kamiya is doing the lead role. Not only was he everywhere in the the eighties but in the seventies as well. :)
Apr 10, 2010 9:33 AM

Mar 2009
Just started Genesis Climber Mospeada seems a bit repetative but can be amusing in parts so I think I will stick with it for an easy watch :)

Apr 10, 2010 10:34 AM

Apr 2008
I have to get back to Mospeada eventually too one of these days. I think I may have gone through 5 or so episodes of it.
Apr 10, 2010 11:10 PM

Feb 2008
RobdeFR said:
Started Baldios today.
Blue Fixer is doing a great job there, hope they release more frferquently since the anime seems to be a lost mecha jewel from the past.

On a side note. It have some similarities with STP Layzner on the part where "main character comes from his planet and joins earth fighting his former planet people".

Baldios seems really cool. I hope BlueFixer eventually finishes the series in time, check out the movie if you want the condensed version (which was still really good I'd say). It's an odd series that would probably be 110% fine without the mecha altogether, could just be a cool space opera.

Really depressing stuff. I checked it out due to some comparisons between it and Ideon, it's not quite at the scale of Ideon but still pretty grimdark stuff in the end.

I'm pretty excited about Reideen. Just gonna wait it out for more subs on that one. That and Daitarn 3 sound like good 70's Tomino.
Apr 11, 2010 12:28 AM

Apr 2008
I was (and still am) a little hesitant to check on the Baldios movie, though I'm very curious about it. But I guess I'll wait for the TV series to be done. If I can that is.
I have a similar issue with the Goshogun movie. It looks very interesting, but the TV series are incomplete, and we don«'t know if they'll be ever complete.
Thankfully The folks that are doing Baldios anime, blueFixer, looks like they intend to do regular releases, but by the pace it'll take a good while.

Raideen so far has distanced itself from the mecha anime that I have seen up to 77, It shows a subtle continuity from episode to episode which was not usual up to that year. It is nice, and of course, it does have Akira Kamiya on the lead role. :)
RobdeFRApr 11, 2010 2:42 AM
Apr 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Apr 2010
im watchin D.N.A² right now^^ really love it^^
Apr 12, 2010 4:20 PM

Dec 2007
G Gundam.

I'm still trying to figure out if the shock is due to horror or not.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 12, 2010 5:05 PM
Jun 2007
Galaxy Express 999 - 8 episodes in and still waiting for something to catch my interest.
A good thing it's of an episodic nature so that a change of pace would keep me going for maybe another 12 or so episodes before deciding to continue or drop it.

Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - a completely different atmosphere from the grim/dark Zeta Gundam. All the silliness going on just took me aback (not to mention the very first line of the OP theme).
Apr 12, 2010 5:12 PM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:
G Gundam.

I'm still trying to figure out if the shock is due to horror or not.

Ahhh. I'm curious as ever about G Gundam now. :D

Avarice said:
Galaxy Express 999 - 8 episodes in and still waiting for something to catch my interest.
A good thing it's of an episodic nature so that a change of pace would keep me going for maybe another 12 or so episodes before deciding to continue or drop it.

What you got is a sample of what you'll continue to get. It's one of those series that'll grab you if you continue watching it, and while at it, you need to watch it with the proper state of mind too if you weren't with one initially. I believe that if you bear with it, you'll be awarded. :)

Avarice said:
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - a completely different atmosphere from the grim/dark Zeta Gundam. All the silliness going on just took me aback (not to mention the very first line of the OP theme).
Tomino tried to drop the dark feel of Zeta and do something with high spirits, but along the way he got back on his shoes and the series improved substantially. But don't expect another Zeta Gundam.
Apr 13, 2010 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, the Earth/drop arc in ZZ is perhaps better than even the best arc's in Zeta, that part was really good. The rest... you end up having to stomach a lot. Also prepare for most random death's ever, not that it's "Kill Em' All" Tomino, but there were a few that just made no sense and no characters cared at all.

I have a hunch Xabungle and L-Gaim are the much better "Goofy but slightly serious at times" Tomino shows.
Apr 13, 2010 2:22 PM

Dec 2007
Well, I loved ZZ. It was really... Refreshing. My favs are Zeta, 0080 and ZZ, I wonder what this reveals about me...

Was only sad that some details were not clarified... Almost could say they were forgotten. Also, Haman rules and she's a long term project for when I gain talent. :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 13, 2010 2:59 PM

Apr 2008
Echelon said:

I have a hunch Xabungle and L-Gaim are the much better "Goofy but slightly serious at times" Tomino shows.
I stalled my viewing of Xabungle, but from what i've seen it doesn't seem so goofy as the first part of ZZ nor L-Gaim, yes, L-Gaim is in the same vein as ZZ if not a little for the worse. But you'll eventually see it for yourself sooner or later.
Apr 13, 2010 7:32 PM
Nov 2007
I started watching Future GPX Cyber Formula and I really enjoy it. It makes me wish it was a show from my childhood, because it would fit right in with some of my favorites from back then.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1391/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula

I was wondering if anyone here knows what this is:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1396/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula:_Early_Days_Renewal
Apr 16, 2010 1:16 PM
Jun 2007
Echelon said:
Yeah, the Earth/drop arc in ZZ is perhaps better than even the best arc's in Zeta, that part was really good. The rest... you end up having to stomach a lot. Also prepare for most random death's ever, not that it's "Kill Em' All" Tomino, but there were a few that just made no sense and no characters cared at all.

Currently on episode 29 and I agree with what you said, this Earth/drop arc is damn good. This series is really growing on me. At first, I thought that the silliness and goofiness at the beginning of the series was a major con, but right now, it's looking like it will counterbalance some of the more gruesome stuff later on.

Also, episode 28 made me FFFFFF-
Apr 20, 2010 2:12 AM

Mar 2009
Just started Armored Trooper Votoms and I am quite surprised I am actually enjoying it - but then I really liked Gasaraki

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2256 by RobdeFR »»
May 2, 10:19 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.