Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 13, 2015 11:18 AM

Mar 2012
Platforming: Press X to proceed.

Puzzles: Press SELECT and just do what it says there. No brains required.

Shooter: Boring, enemies coming from one direction only. Typical duck and cover. Wolverine health bar system.

-------------

Story: Generic, and shamelessly formulaic for over 3 games, not that the first game was original anyway.
Characters: Bland, can be funny, but not always.
Setting: Not impressive minus few exceptions, but compared to Tomb Raider scenery, nothing much.

The reason I've never picked up The Last of Us is my great distrust for Naughty Dog fanboys' praise for mediocrity.

End Zionazism
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 13, 2015 11:25 AM

Nov 2008
Yes. I like it, but yes.

Still better than the new Tomb Raider, though.

Mar 13, 2015 11:38 AM

Mar 2012
I disagree. While the new tomb raider has its flaws (mainly being closer to Uncharted than the TR series I loved (Anniversary franchise), it was still more enjoyable.

First, the bow system was hella fun, I felt the need to actually be stealthy, and like I said above, in many cases, it's not always enemies coming at you from one side. Like in Shanty Town, the more you move in, the more boxed in you'll feel.

I liked the Lost-vibe of Supernatural, that wasn't Zombies. Japanese mythology was a nice touch as well.

The settings were unique but felt connected still.
End Zionazism
Mar 13, 2015 11:42 AM

Sep 2011
Oh hell yes, it also doesn't help that I can't stand Drake. I only played the first two games but I didn't enjoy them at all. The puzzles are extremely easy and the story is like a made for T.V. movie. It actually reminded me of The Librarian which was awful.

Very overrated series, imo. IGN loves to hype it up like it's the greatest game ever made.

The last Tomb Raider was fine, those Samurai statues were pretty awesome. I still think Tomb Raider 2 was the best one.
Mar 13, 2015 11:42 AM

Jan 2015
Mikasa said:
I disagree. While the new tomb raider has its flaws (mainly being closer to Uncharted than the TR series I loved (Anniversary franchise), it was still more enjoyable.

First, the bow system was hella fun, I felt the need to actually be stealthy, and like I said above, in many cases, it's not always enemies coming at you from one side. Like in Shanty Town, the more you move in, the more boxed in you'll feel.

I liked the Lost-vibe of Supernatural, that wasn't Zombies. Japanese mythology was a nice touch as well.

The settings were unique but felt connected still.

You could argue that Tomb Raider was zombies. Also both games were pretty over rated though.

I'd comment on Last of Us but I havent played it.
Mar 13, 2015 11:45 AM

Nov 2008
Mikasa said:
it's not always enemies coming at you from one side. Like in Shanty Town, the more you move in, the more boxed in you'll feel.
That's what Tomb Raider almost always is. Uncharted has better action, better set pieces, better characters, better art direction and better music.

From my blog:
EzekielMar 13, 2015 1:33 PM

Mar 13, 2015 11:47 AM

Feb 2015
Uncharted is a very average third person shooter. And by average I mean that it doesn't really try to implement any exciting ideas or gameplay concepts. It's still a pretty fun franchise, even if it arguably gets too much praise.

As for Last of Us, it's really good, but people who call it the best game of all time are usually huge CoD fans (not that being a CoD fan means one has bad taste, most simply don't have a lot of exposure to different genres and games is all).
Mar 13, 2015 11:49 AM

Jan 2015
TheRefractingOne said:
Uncharted is a very average third person shooter. And by average I mean that it doesn't really try to implement any exciting ideas or gameplay concepts. It's still a pretty fun franchise, even if it arguably gets too much praise.

As for Last of Us, it's really good, but people who call it the best game of all time are usually huge CoD fans (not that being a CoD fan means one has bad taste, most simply don't have a lot of exposure to different genres and games is all).

Hipsters call it the best game ever. The same hipsters who call District 9 the best movie ever.

People who think social progression belongs in games.
Mar 13, 2015 11:56 AM

Sep 2011
You don't have to be a hipster to enjoy The Last of US....

It was a good game, much better than last years game of the year Dragon Age Inq. I replayed Last of Us a couple of times one of the few times I've done that for a game like that. I think it's one of those games that you have to like the story to really enjoy. It's very story driven, and the plot was actually good for a change. Most of these try-hard AAA games try to WOW you with visuals but always lack on plot.

If anything the ones that seem like hipsters are the ones hating on this game because it's popular.
Mar 13, 2015 12:35 PM
Jun 2014
No, it's not. Uncharted 2 was amazing, I never got into 3 but 4 looks good.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Mar 13, 2015 12:43 PM

Jan 2013
Overrated but still fun. The real overrated shit is the Last of Us
Mar 13, 2015 1:08 PM

Feb 2015
Uncharted isn't bad, it's just nothing special except for the graphics. The gameplay is average I guess.
Mar 13, 2015 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
I can't remember many good TPS other than Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 1 was pretty meh, and 3 wasn't that big of a improvement over 2 (not to mention some of its annoying additions, and the overly serious tone).

I've never played Gears of War.

I'm not too fond of The Last of Us, to say the least. The "zombie" apocalypse setting was very tame for my tastes, and the story kinda blows, specially near the ending.

Tomb Raider reboot was a huge wasted opportunity and mostly served to remind me everything that was wrong with Uncharted games. I don't agree with everything Ezekiel said, but he pointed out some of the important stuff already. And the story blows.

Vanquish was pretty exciting with the boost mechanic and bullet time, but waaaay too short. The story kind of blows, even if it's not supposed to be taken seriously.

The original Max Payne games... well, I have a love-hate relationship with the first two games. I hated the third one due to Max moving like a slowpoke, plus the addition of the cover system. Putting those two elements together mean that using bullet time in more populated encounters was a huge risk as opposed to sticking to covers, which I didn't like the slightest. And the story? It blows.

So... for everyone claiming Uncharted is a mediocre TPS, is there anything else other than the ones I mentioned here (stealth-focused games obviously don't count)?
Mar 13, 2015 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
DoctorCaim said:

Honestly this series is plain mediocrity to me. Not amazing or a masterpiece, but not garbage.
Mar 13, 2015 7:01 PM

Jan 2011
It's alright, nothing special.
Mar 13, 2015 7:12 PM

Oct 2013
This guy again and Uncharted... -.-
Mar 13, 2015 7:14 PM

Sep 2014
Yes it is, in my opinion.

I've played all 3 of the games and achieved the platinum trophy for each of them. I did enjoy them, I wouldn't have bothered playing through each game twice if I didn't, but they definitely don't deserve all the praise they get. As you said, they literally give you the answer to the puzzles if you sit idle long enough, the story is just your standard Indiana Jones stuff and the gameplay is extremely average.

The Last of Us is a lot better though. Still not amazing by any means, but I'd recommend it to just about anyone. The story did actually manage to get me emotional, which is something video games rarely do.
Mar 13, 2015 11:41 PM

Nov 2008
kingatomsk said:
The original Max Payne games... well, I have a love-hate relationship with the first two games. I hated the third one due to Max moving like a slowpoke, plus the addition of the cover system. Putting those two elements together mean that using bullet time in more populated encounters was a huge risk as opposed to sticking to covers, which I didn't like the slightest. And the story? It blows.
Max Payne 3 became my favorite third-person shooter after I got used to the weight of movement and learned to move more. I try not to stick to cover for too long. I played it twice on the standard difficulty and then kept replaying it on progressively higher difficulties until I finished the highest. The carry system is awesome. I also like the tone of the story. I'd like Rockstar to tell more serious stories like that instead of all those over the top comedic dramas. The music was great.

Mar 14, 2015 12:57 AM

Jul 2012
I never got into the game series only because it never had a PC port. I love adventure games like Tomb Raider which obviously share many similarities with Uncharted. I would believe it if the game was severely overrated as from the various lengthy play-throughs I've seen I can already agree that the characters alone are undeveloped, which is something I believe to be really important for the hero character in an adventure story.
Mar 14, 2015 2:44 AM

Mar 2014
sort of.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Mar 14, 2015 2:58 AM

Feb 2015
I was enjoying Uncharted 2 well enough until the boss battle against Draza.

He has nothing covering his face but can apparently just deflect bullets with his eyeballs or something. I started to fight him and managed to get almost a full round of headshots as he ran up to me. I would have been quite proud at my uncanny accuracy if it weren't for the fact that it did nothing.

In the end I messed up one of the QTE's and had to start the fight again. That time I beat him easily by just running up to him and chasing him over the train until I could go hand-to-hand. The rest of that game was ok but that fight was a joke.
CaelidesuMar 14, 2015 3:05 AM
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 14, 2015 5:20 AM

May 2013
Not at all. If you can make sequel after sequel and have people still call them amazing even as stand-alone titles instead of just "continuations", how can you deny it's brilliance? I'd say it lives up to it's hype/reputation and then some.
Mar 14, 2015 5:35 AM

Jul 2013
I've been hearing news that Naughty Dog will remaster Uncharted 1-3 after 4 is released. Totally gonna get those. Anyway, at least try The Last of Us, it may not be the best shit ever that extreme fanboys say but at least it was great.. objectively. No really.
Mar 14, 2015 6:31 AM

Jan 2013
Soul-Master said:
DoctorCaim said:

Honestly this series is plain mediocrity to me. Not amazing or a masterpiece, but not garbage.
The Last Of Us is predictable Oscar Bait and to call it a work of art is a huge shit stain on the underwear of actually good plot driven games. Its rampant fanboys mobbing over opinion pieces and reviews that don't fit their opinion only show that the typical gaming audience is being manipulated like sheep. [b]If you want an actually good pseudo-father-daughter plot eccentric game, play the Walking Dead Video game.
Mar 14, 2015 7:30 AM

Mar 2015
I could not get into this game series at all. The setting didn't interest me nor did any of the characters.
Mar 14, 2015 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
I do not condone the use of caps or similar attention seeking tactics, nor do I plan to purchase any more Telltale games in the future since they can barely be called videogames.

But I still agree with the good doctor.
Mar 14, 2015 9:43 AM

May 2013
DoctorCaim said:
Soul-Master said:

The Last Of Us is predictable Oscar Bait and to call it a work of art is a huge shit stain on the underwear of actually good plot driven games. Its rampant fanboys mobbing over opinion pieces and reviews that don't fit their opinion only show that the typical gaming audience is being manipulated like sheep. If you want an actually good pseudo-father-daughter plot eccentric game, play the Walking Dead Video game.

Are you upset because the majority likes something you don't? Because that's pretty much what I got from this.
Mar 14, 2015 9:49 AM

Jan 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Are you upset because the majority likes something you don't? Because that's pretty much what I got from this.
Naah, it's just fun poking TLOU fans. They're the most defensive when it comes to criticism.

It's still overrated though and the Walking Dead is a better narrative experience
Mar 14, 2015 12:11 PM

May 2013
DoctorCaim said:
Dark_Chaos said:
Naah, it's just fun poking TLOU fans. They're the most defensive when it comes to criticism.

It's still overrated though and the Walking Dead is a better narrative experience

Ahh. My apologies then. Never can tell what are jokes and what aren't with text alone :/

Plus the fact that there are people on the internet that would overreact like this for realz, unfortunately....I don't have much faith in humanity after what I've seen :(
Mar 14, 2015 12:50 PM

Nov 2012
No.
Mar 14, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah it is, at least as far as gameplay goes. I like the series, but I play it more for the awesome storyline.
Mar 14, 2015 3:31 PM
Mar 2011
yes
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 14, 2015 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
Kind of, i mean 1 is fun, 2 was really good but i wouldnt call it great, 3 was mediocre as fuck, 4 looks pretty good.

I was always more of an insomniac and sucker punch guy than naughty dog, I even think rahcet and clank(with the exception of the first game) and sly cooper hold up way better than jak and daxter did. I also enjoyed the infamous trilogy and rahcet and clank future games to hold significantly more impact than uncharted and last of us did

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 15, 2015 4:37 AM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
Not at all. If you can make sequel after sequel and have people still call them amazing even as stand-alone titles instead of just "continuations", how can you deny it's brilliance? I'd say it lives up to it's hype/reputation and then some.

By that definition the big elephant in every room about gaming topics (COD) wouldn't be overrated when it's surely the contrary. Hype is the enemy of the industry right now. It's the reason so many people were duped into pre-ordering Watch_Dogs, Assasin's Creed Unity and The Order 1886.
Mar 15, 2015 6:10 AM

Jan 2012
1 and 2 were aiight

3 sux donkey balls

will play 4 when it's $20 or less
Mar 15, 2015 6:32 AM
Mar 2011
not deeo enougth story aND NOT hard enouth in game play is casual shit at is worst
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 15, 2015 8:56 AM

May 2013
SlimCognito said:
Dark_Chaos said:

By that definition the big elephant in every room about gaming topics (COD) wouldn't be overrated when it's surely the contrary. Hype is the enemy of the industry right now. It's the reason so many people were duped into pre-ordering Watch_Dogs, Assasin's Creed Unity and The Order 1886.

Not exactly my friend. Like I mentioned earlier, each Uncharted game is seen as an amazing stand-alone title by themselves each, where as Call of Duty is more or less seen as a franchise as a whole rather than people talking and praising about each game in particular, not to mention the masses pretty much label each sequel as the game before it but with "more guns" and prettier graphics.
Mar 15, 2015 1:44 PM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
SlimCognito said:

Not exactly my friend. Like I mentioned earlier, each Uncharted game is seen as an amazing stand-alone title by themselves each, where as Call of Duty is more or less seen as a franchise as a whole rather than people talking and praising about each game in particular, not to mention the masses pretty much label each sequel as the game before it but with "more guns" and prettier graphics.

I've just played through the trilogy last week which was my second time since I first got it 2 years ago. I've never seen anybody online praise the first one and that's a good thing because there was too much wrong with it.
-Throwing grenades were tits on shoulders stupid.
-Platforming was still rough and unresponsive
-Final boss was a wash
-Most memorable moment in the game was the German U-boat then it's downhill from there.
-Puzzles were 2nd Grade level logic

I do hear people praise Uncharted 2 however and I can see why it fixed a lot and the plot was slightly more interesting than the first but nothing revolutionary. Puzzles didn't get any better but the "cinematic interactive scenes" were more intense.

As for 3....it has great multiplayer and most of the time if I ask what they liked about 3 they bring up the multiplayer. The single player declined after Drake's origin was done being told.

Besides if it actually did deliver on hype the E3 demos wouldn't have been so graphically different from the final product.
Mar 15, 2015 2:15 PM

May 2013
SlimCognito said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I've just played through the trilogy last week which was my second time since I first got it 2 years ago. I've never seen anybody online praise the first one and that's a good thing because there was too much wrong with it.
-Final boss was a wash
-Most memorable moment in the game was the German U-boat then it's downhill from there.

I do hear people praise Uncharted 2 however and I can see why it fixed a lot and the plot was slightly more interesting than the first but nothing revolutionary. Puzzles didn't get any better but the "cinematic interactive scenes" were more intense.

As for 3....it has great multiplayer and most of the time if I ask what they liked about 3 they bring up the multiplayer. The single player declined after Drake's origin was done being told.

Besides if it actually did deliver on hype the E3 demos wouldn't have been so graphically different from the final product.

....You've never been on a gaming forum before, have you? :/ I've seen many praise all 3 titles as amazing stand-alone experiences time and time again on multiple forums in the past, and also from the mouths of the people I know and have previously known. It's been said countless times, you just need to go where it is actually discussed.
Mar 15, 2015 3:28 PM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
SlimCognito said:

-Final boss was a wash

....You've never been on a gaming forum before, have you? :/ I've seen many praise all 3 titles as amazing stand-alone experiences time and time again on multiple forums in the past, and also from the mouths of the people I know and have previously known. It's been said countless times, you just need to go where it is actually discussed.

Trust me I have and I spend far too much time on them. I get the feeling you're spending in the toxic forums that buy in to being sold overpriced products on a month to month basis while being told what they want out of a game through constant ads and PR like mindless wallets.
Mar 15, 2015 3:43 PM

Dec 2013
It is slightly overrated but I still love the series.
Mar 16, 2015 3:13 AM
May 2009
Yes and No.

I don't really care about the gameplay of Uncharted. For me it was always the story, characters and the setting. I love some of the pieces in Uncharted.
Mar 16, 2015 11:03 AM

May 2013
SlimCognito said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Trust me I have and I spend far too much time on them. I get the feeling you're spending in the toxic forums that buy in to being sold overpriced products on a month to month basis while being told what they want out of a game through constant ads and PR like mindless wallets.

Yeah....I'm not convinced that you actually have been on one....like, at all, because if you had, there's no way you wouldn't have seen it all.
Mar 16, 2015 12:54 PM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
SlimCognito said:

Yeah....I'm not convinced that you actually have been on one....like, at all, because if you had, there's no way you wouldn't have seen it all.

Fine I'm above "proving cred" and we're almost off topic. The fact is Naughty Dog has a lot of overrated games lately since cinematic games are on the rise in priority over gameplay. Not to mention Uncharted didn't have much competition. The success mostly sits with ND being competent developers from the golden years so they have a better understanding on how to make a game with each element standing out but sadly that used to be the bare necessities for AAA games. Now The Last of Us comes out and people think it's innovative to have areas that are fleshed out and can be explored with incentive to explore embedded in gameplay mechanics. This is called real game design and the AAA industry has been starved by it for so long it seemed like a second coming.
Mar 16, 2015 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
SlimCognito said:
since cinematic games are on the rise in priority over gameplay

I see what you're saying, but still... http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886
Mar 16, 2015 5:01 PM

Mar 2015
kingatomsk said:
SlimCognito said:
since cinematic games are on the rise in priority over gameplay

I see what you're saying, but still... http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886

Yeah that did happen but it'll be about a year or so until everybody stops trying to get a piece of the Naughty Dog cinematic pie. Remember how many COD clones there were? Remember how many 3D platformers there were after Mario 64's design? The industry has always been copy what sells. The Order fell short because of rushed development which is more fault on the producers and publishers not the developers. Still the game was bad in terms of value.
Mar 16, 2015 6:03 PM

Sep 2014
geniobastardo said:
sort of.

But it is amazingly great
Mar 16, 2015 10:59 PM

Jul 2013
Not as overrated as Destiny or Call of Duty, but somewhere in between mainstream and underrated or obscure.
Mar 17, 2015 10:10 AM

May 2013
SlimCognito said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Fine I'm above "proving cred" and we're almost off topic. The fact is Naughty Dog has a lot of overrated games lately since cinematic games are on the rise in priority over gameplay. Not to mention Uncharted didn't have much competition. The success mostly sits with ND being competent developers from the golden years so they have a better understanding on how to make a game with each element standing out but sadly that used to be the bare necessities for AAA games. Now The Last of Us comes out and people think it's innovative to have areas that are fleshed out and can be explored with incentive to explore embedded in gameplay mechanics. This is called real game design and the AAA industry has been starved by it for so long it seemed like a second coming.

Why are you sharing your opinion with me? I was talking about the opinions of the majority. Your opinion is irrelevant and has nothing to do with my point, which you have somehow missed, unfortunately :/
Mar 17, 2015 10:13 AM

Jul 2014
Ive only played the one for the PSVita, and the story was pretty meh.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

58 by Jentheworld »»
5 hours ago

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

5 by H1ruma »»
9 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.