Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2015 9:00 PM

Nov 2009
I personally think Junketsu no Maria is one of the best anime this season so far, along with Death Parade.

It had such a solid start and strong female lead(Maria), I was just wondering what happened with the rating on MAL (7.3 can consider to be a low rating) while Junketsu no Maria has good production value. I enjoy the show much better than any other show this season.

Although I was a fan of Log Horizon and Durarara but I think both of them have dropped quite a bit in terms of quality and production value (they seem to be low budget, especially Drrr ss2) and I just got lost when seeing Drrr has such a high rating ...
Takana_no_HanaFeb 18, 2015 12:12 AM
Feb 17, 2015 9:21 PM
Jan 2015
It's sad. Maria is a good show. It has a really unique setting and portrays it an way that makes you feel pretty wrapped up in it. It has interesting characters who are all pretty likeable. The animation isn't mind-blowing but the show in terms of art is pretty good overall.

I think maybe people wrote this off as a shoddy light-novel adaptation? I'm going to be honest, I did at first too, what got me interested is how it portrayed soldiers in the ending stages of the hundred years war pretty accurately, so i tried the first episode and I liked it ever since.

It's my favorite show of the season to be honest, although I haven't watched Death Parade yet.
Feb 18, 2015 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
I think most people that watch anime want a male lead, so they don't watch anime with a female lead.

I don't have any evidence to say that, but it's just that I used to do that, a male lead is easier to relate to since I'm a male, so I guess other people think like that too.

So I think that unless it's being hyped or something, most people will skip animes with female lead.

And, an anime about a virgin witch losing her virginity doesn't look really impressive, and that's basically what the synopsis says.
Feb 19, 2015 7:29 AM

Aug 2013
This show is like Donten ni Warau from last season: under viewed and underrated. I am really enjoying Maria the Virgin Witch. The plot, setting, and characters are unique. What a shame.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Feb 19, 2015 10:36 AM

Feb 2013
I'm thinking of watching this anime, but it's tagged under "ecchi" which I despise.
Feb 19, 2015 10:53 AM

Feb 2014
Candeloro said:
I'm thinking of watching this anime, but it's tagged under "ecchi" which I despise.

blame whoever gave that tag. It really misleads many potential viewers.

While I just watch 2 episodes of Death Parade (plus Death Billiards, which is better than the Parade) til now, I think when it comes to the story, Junketsu no Maria has better potential than Parade.

Basically this anime is made by Ishikawa Masayuki (Moyashimon) and Taniguchi Goro (Planetes, Code Geass).
Feb 19, 2015 3:53 PM

Aug 2013
Candeloro said:

That tag doesn't in this show's favor. I think people have in their minds that it's a typical ecchi show and it's not. Please give this show a chance.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Feb 19, 2015 10:54 PM

Jul 2014
I stopped watching halfway through the fifth episode because it bored me, that's really all there is to it
Feb 20, 2015 12:45 AM

Feb 2014
vikki7783 said:
I stopped watching halfway through the fifth episode because it bored me, that's really all there is to it

What a waste, since the next episode is really intense, and the best episode so far. Episode 5 is just a "leap" for Galfa's character development. Which is really rare in most anime (supporting characters in other anime rarely get their own episode).
Feb 20, 2015 9:59 AM

May 2014
i watched till sixth episode and...what can i say? it's not so good.... its boring...
Feb 21, 2015 1:44 PM

Jan 2013
It depends by each person... I personally think it is neither boring nor awesome. But you can't say "you must like it" or "you must hate it".
Feb 21, 2015 5:53 PM
Oct 2012
Riccardo-kun said:
It depends by each person... I personally think it is neither boring nor awesome. But you can't say "you must like it" or "you must hate it".

I would say this. The art is very good and Maria is an appealing character, but when it comes down to it so far this has been a one joke animation, with the joke being "when is Maria going to lose her virginity".

Not to say that this show hasn't planted some great seeds that could bloom (god's distance, angels allowing evil, the role of the church and all that), and the "familiars" have been funny, but really outside of this the show hasn't really exploited the potential it started with.

This was why I was hoping that the Brother would have more substance, not because I particularly like the church or even religion, but it would have added a dimension that this show really needed. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

So ultimately this show is probably ranked where it should be. Low 7's. It could end up being a 9 or so, but it certainly isn't there yet.
Feb 22, 2015 12:10 AM

Feb 2013
I dunno why you could see this as boring,
the pacing and art might be retro, but the premiss is pretty neat and it does ecchi in a tasteful way.

Ezekiel, Artemis, Priapos and Maria have to be the most interesting group of characters this season
and the plot is like a retelling of Shirou and UBW during the 100 year war
Feb 22, 2015 2:37 AM

Feb 2009
Not sure why you'd see a 7 as "low", it's supposed to be good. That's exactly the rating I gave to this series right now, it's definitely good and entertaining, but nothing amazing. Yet. Depending on how it turns out it might jump to an 8 in case of epic ending. As said, there is potential.

For the sake of comparison, the currently airing series I rated higher so far are Death Parade, Ansatsu Kyoshitsu, Cross Ange and Jojo. All for different reasons.

And I agree, the ecchi tag isn't doing the series any favor. Any way to remove a tag on MAL or ask it to be removed if it's arguably not applicable to the series?
I have no idea why it's even here, the only remotely "ecchi" parts are a few shots of Maria sleeping naked, I don't think that would warrant an ecchi tag...
Feb 22, 2015 5:53 AM

Jun 2013
Well at least the anime doesn't have any 3D when it comes to battles and theres little to no CGI involved so far. The armors of the soldiers are pretty accurate as well and looks nice

Feb 22, 2015 7:31 AM

Sep 2008
I think rating will go up or down when anime will be finished.
I don't know like others, but I usually rate series before or after final episode...
there are exceptions, but when it comes where I really like series...
Is like right now I could give "Death Parade" - 10, because so far I really like this series,
and like you said this is one of best series this season.

I wouldn't bother caring about series rating when anime is still ongoing,
I also wouldn't care about MAL rating in first place xD
Sometimes I rating series on 10 which really deserves on 7,
because of reasons.
I don't really rating series for people, but for myself :P
This is MY animelist, after all ;D

I wouldn't compare Maria to Log Horizon or DRR, because of these series have already fandom and people already like this characters.
So no matter what studio will make anime, is still the same characters which I liked from first season.

Anyway... I wonder when people stop to cares about MAL rating.
Why people cares about series popularity when they don't work to create this series.
I could understand if author of series come into MAL and start to be sad that his series isn't popular.
But as far... I don't really care some people on net rated by favorite series as 7.
Feb 22, 2015 7:38 AM

Jan 2013
LittleStar said:
I think rating will go up or down

oh you.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Feb 22, 2015 7:40 AM

Feb 2013
Seeing the "ecchi" tag really turns me off but reading your comments I might give this a try.

Feb 22, 2015 1:27 PM

Oct 2013
Definitely underrated. It offer's of the best portrayals of medieval Europe war times in anime, even thought it has fantasy elements like witches, which are very well-integrated and add to the overall enjoyment of the show while it maintains it's degree of realism. More important & interesting though is the decision making Maria is or will be forced to make eventually: continue her way or interfering in battles or stand aside & let things proceed naturally? It's been shown her interfering is not all good, as it leave's soldiers & mercenaries without an income, therefore leading to them looting random villages to survive. Quite a bit of grey lines here, which are awesome. Heck, even the fanservice is presented in a natural way and never feel's out of place.

It's somewhat slow pace seems to be what's putting some people off I guess.
Feb 22, 2015 1:53 PM

Feb 2011
horribly underrated. this is easily one of the best anime of the season.
it just lacks moeblobs and schoolgirls doing boring slice of life shit.

Feb 22, 2015 3:45 PM

Mar 2014
I absolutely agree that this is very underrated. I thought it would be more popular. I look forward to Maria's decisions and they portray the old catholic church accurately. I like it's setting and the art is a plus too.
Feb 23, 2015 7:52 PM
Oct 2012
AzulBlue said:
and they portray the old catholic church accurately.

Ah, if only. This show would have been 100 times better.

No, this is not an accurate portrayal of the "old Catholic Church". Modern history has pretty much shown that the RCC was the leading force in causing society to dismiss the fear of witches, and indeed went out of its way to stop witch hunts.

People forget that the fear of witches is far older and widespread than Catholicism. The first great "witch hunts" in classical Rome occurred before the Church had any power, likewise the pagans in Europe killed witches long before Christianity showed up, and indeed only stopped because of the influence of the Church (belief that God is all powerful and is good generally leads one to doubt that such a god would allow such unfair tricks that witches were claimed to possess).

While I am no fan of the RCC, and there is plenty to criticize them for, persecution of witches is NOT one of them.
Feb 24, 2015 6:05 AM

Mar 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
AzulBlue said:
and they portray the old catholic church accurately.

Ah, if only. This show would have been 100 times better.

No, this is not an accurate portrayal of the "old Catholic Church". Modern history has pretty much shown that the RCC was the leading force in causing society to dismiss the fear of witches, and indeed went out of its way to stop witch hunts.

People forget that the fear of witches is far older and widespread than Catholicism. The first great "witch hunts" in classical Rome occurred before the Church had any power, likewise the pagans in Europe killed witches long before Christianity showed up, and indeed only stopped because of the influence of the Church (belief that God is all powerful and is good generally leads one to doubt that such a god would allow such unfair tricks that witches were claimed to possess).

While I am no fan of the RCC, and there is plenty to criticize them for, persecution of witches is NOT one of them.

I didn't really mean that by hunting witches, but thanks for clearing that up or else I wouldn't have known. What I meant was the church had a huge influence over people's decisions and ruled out of fear. Hence why the young girl's parents were being very cautious when she was talking about Maria in the village out of fear. She also mentioned that someone from the church said something negative about girls having their hair short and wearing clothes similar to Maria and Ezekiel(can't check the episode to describe it more accurately atm). Which was meant to scare women to wear long dresses and wear long hair because they believed "that's how women were supposed to look".
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Feb 24, 2015 9:58 AM

Jul 2009
Maria is an ok show, but the sexual appeal in the season start was a "turn off" for me, it could be better without that, I mean, I know what shows to watch if I want ecchi, and this one was not one of those, I keep watching it, and I might finish it, they are taking it easy with the fanservice now, I am glad...and for me 7 is not a bad rate.
Feb 26, 2015 4:00 PM
Oct 2013
Candeloro said:

You got through Kill la Kill and rated it a 10, so why not give this a try? o.o

I don't really know why it has that tag. Sex is major theme of the show, but it's done in a mature and meaningful way, not in a fanservice way like most shows.
Feb 26, 2015 5:31 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
For those of you who are afraid to watch because of ecchi, let me tell you; I'm not much of an ecchi fan myself. Maria's "ecchi" is hardly ecchi. She sleeps naked, but you don't see anything and they skillfully made it just seem really normal and less of a fanservice thing-- and honestly that's how it is for most of the show. There isn't anything that makes me thing, "Ugggh".

As for the rating of 7.3, I dunno. Some of my favorite shows can't even make it to 7 and are forever stuck at 5 or a low 6. 7 is a relatively good score, in my opinion.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 26, 2015 7:28 PM
Oct 2012
AzulBlue said:
What I meant was the church had a huge influence over people's decisions and ruled out of fear.

Not really. Outside of the Papal States the Church never "ruled" any territory, yes it did have a huge influence however this was based upon the support and moral authority the Church had over people, not because of "fear" or despotism. When the Church lost this support, the Reformation occurred.

Before I continue I should stress that the RCC has plenty of sins and did plenty of wrong things. I am in no way justifying what the Church did. My issue is to distinguish between what is fact and what is fantasy. I have no desire to be subjected to anything from the RCC, however I believe that history should strive for honesty, and truth should never be avoided because one believes it leads to a good end (i.e. not being subjected to the Church's moral teachings).

For example, it was claimed that the Church burnt over 1 million witches. The actual number is now considered to be somewhere between 20-40,000, most of whom were not burnt by the Church but rather by the Protestants (think Salem) or in uncontrolled border regions. I think allowing people to think that the former is true is wrong.

Another example. Much has been made about how horrific the Spanish Inquisition was. In the 310 years it existed the total number of executions was around 5,000. Bad yes, but as a comparison between 1900 and 1972 (i.e. in 1/4th the time) the US executed well over 7,000 people. And if one were to compare this total to what the secular governments of the time were doing (this was a kill happy period), the distinction is even more telling.

Now I am not arguing the fact that even 1 execution was too much, and yes the Church executed people who were not murderers (though it should be stated that a sizable number probably were) but rather heretics, but the more one reads about the period, the more one understands that the Church got involved in witch and heretic trials to restrain popular sentiment, not to inflame it. Antisemitism in Spain was not primarily a religious expression, rather it was a nationalistic expression after the success of the Reconquista. It was the Spanish citizenry resentful of the commercial/political success of Jews that sparked the outrage, not religious fervor. Trials by Inquisition were meant to delay a verdict until the hostility receded and it was safe to release the person. This was why "execution in effigy" was so popular.

Getting tried by the Inquisition was horrific, however the point to remember is that it wasn't a choice between "inquisition" and "freedom", but rather "inquisition" and immediate lynching. In this context being held by the Inquisition wasn't so bad (the same is true of torture, with the Inquisition it was only used when circumstantial evidence against the defendant was overwhelming, the secular government was far more willing to use it).

AzulBlue said:
She also mentioned that someone from the church said something negative about girls having their hair short and wearing clothes similar to Maria and Ezekiel

This is somewhat historical. Joan of Arc was executed because she recanted on her pledge not to wear men's clothing. However this was not a religiously inspired condemnation, rather it was an excuse the political enemies of Joan of Arc used to justify their politically motivated desire to kill a charismatic enemy leader. Her trial was never condoned by the RCC, and even the token priest or two involved disagreed with it.(we know this because of their passive aggressive retaliation in making sure to document what they viewed as a travesty of justice).

I'll stop here, because I don't want to seem too much of an apologist. Also, it isn't incumbent upon a Japanese manga author to know this history.

Ultimately the problem with this show isn't religious or even historical, but rather that it is simplistic. Maria's position was established by the second episode, there really hasn't been much advancement since then.
Mar 2, 2015 2:08 AM

Jan 2014
Riccardo-kun said:
Mar 12, 2015 3:45 PM

Sep 2008
DawnJ said:
LittleStar said:
I think rating will go up or down

oh you.

I planned to wrtie something diffrent, but in the middle I changed my mind and...
oh, well... nevermind. xD
Mar 15, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2012
Ironhorse-Yakuza said:
horribly underrated. this is easily one of the best anime of the season.

- I only draw freestyle! -
Mar 15, 2015 7:19 PM
Nov 2010
The anime-original scenes bore the shit out of me. So much unnecessary drama and dialogue between characters I don't care about.
Mar 15, 2015 9:42 PM

Jan 2011
Horribly underrated indeed. But there are a lot of users like myself that don't rate shows until they are finished (which is how it should be done anyway)
Mar 15, 2015 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
IZEROII said:
Horribly underrated indeed. But there are a lot of users like myself that don't rate shows until they are finished (which is how it should be done anyway)

The truth has been spoken.
Mar 19, 2015 1:43 PM

Jun 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
I personally think Junketsu no Maria is one of the best anime this season so far, along with Death Parade.

It had such a solid start and strong female lead(Maria), I was just wondering what happened with the rating on MAL (7.3 can consider to be a low rating) while Junketsu no Maria has good production value. I enjoy the show much better than any other show this season.

Although I was a fan of Log Horizon and Durarara but I think both of them have dropped quite a bit in terms of quality and production value (they seem to be low budget, especially Drrr ss2) and I just got lost when seeing Drrr has such a high rating ...

I agree and I'm baffled too on why this has 7.3 when at least it should have 8.00. I think it turns out like this because most people don't actually look for real content and instead we have at least 5 ecchi/romance shows per season due to "demand".
Log Horizon and Durarara I think they have drooped too in regard to their first seasons...
Mar 22, 2015 8:56 PM
Mar 2013
Swiggy said:
For those of you who are afraid to watch because of ecchi, let me tell you; I'm not much of an ecchi fan myself. Maria's "ecchi" is hardly ecchi. She sleeps naked, but you don't see anything and they skillfully made it just seem really normal and less of a fanservice thing-- and honestly that's how it is for most of the show. There isn't anything that makes me thing, "Ugggh".

As for the rating of 7.3, I dunno. Some of my favorite shows can't even make it to 7 and are forever stuck at 5 or a low 6. 7 is a relatively good score, in my opinion.

^Seriously, my thoughts exactly.
Mar 29, 2015 4:17 PM

Oct 2013
The heck, rank #1769 as I'm typing this? "Why do you care about MAL ratings" Yea, yea, I know the drill but it's still TOO LOW. I've had a few issues with it during those last few eps that I mentioned in the ep 12 thread but that's only because I expected even more from the show in certain aspects. But it's quite solid regardless.

More reasons on why people drop it can probably amount to the the religious aspect getting a bit controversial, thus alienating some viewers, and has no usual anime fanservice to distract the audience. So you don't get many options in what to like about Junketsu no Maria and if you aren't interested AND attached enough to Maria & Joseph then chances are that you won't enjoy the show's slow pacing, which cut's out most of the enjoyment you'd get from the show.
Mar 29, 2015 4:50 PM

Dec 2013
People are too big of critics. They expect everything to be in place FMA level. Sure Maria may not have the perfect story line or plothole-less, it's still a fun watch. People are worrying too much about having perfection that they forget to enjoy it.

For that sole reason I only rate based on how much I enjoyed it. This show is pretty funny and all in all just carefree and great. 10/10
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) fine booty
Mar 29, 2015 6:20 PM
Oct 2012
MgMaster said:
More reasons on why people drop it can probably amount to the the religious aspect getting a bit controversial, thus alienating some viewers

Actually I think it is the reverse. I think that the reason it is ranked higher than it deserves was because the way it portrays religion was appealing to a lot of people. That and the art, and that the familiars were fun.
Mar 29, 2015 11:59 PM
May 2008
Takuan_Soho said:

Actually I think it is the reverse. I think that the reason it is ranked higher than it deserves was because the way it portrays religion was appealing to a lot of people. That and the art, and that the familiars were fun.

So people rank it higher because they like the story, the art, and the characters? That is kinda obvious. I like the story, art, characters, and music so of course i rate it higher than other shows.

But I think others people drop/rate it lower is because I guess America is still too uptight about religion..It's sad they'll probably teach their children to also be uptight too..didn't really think religion still had a big hold on people's lives. But even if it doesn't, I guess it doesn't change that it still holds sway over their thoughts/actions..
Apr 5, 2015 6:54 AM

Jul 2008
I got hooked from episode 1 honestly and I didn't even think twice about seeing it through the end :)
May 4, 2016 3:14 PM

Mar 2011
Probably yes, considering that I was at the brink of dropping it (and I almost never think of dropping series shorter than 26 episodes). Anyway I finished it and the end made it up completely for the weak middle part.

TO EVERYONE
Bear with it and you will be rewarded. #awesomeending
Mar 5, 2018 2:11 PM

Feb 2016
Candeloro said:

>despises ecchi
>has Kill La Kill in your favorites
Mhmmm

More topics from this board

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

193 by WatchTillTandava »»
Jun 18, 2023 11:21 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.