Forum Settings
Forums

Planned 8hr Maintenance - January 20 2015, 10am-6pm PST - Plus a surprise?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2015 7:10 PM

Mar 2012
They should introduce PremiumMAL™, where paying subscribers don't get randomly logged out :).
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 17, 2015 7:10 PM

Nov 2011
Wow. This is a huge. Glad to see it happening.
Jan 17, 2015 7:11 PM
Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Undim said:

In all seriousness, I do hope that the primary goal of the new development team and investors is to make what we have function as it should and implement some practical changes, rather than replace it all with "new and improved" ideas.

See every once popular site that isn't anymore.
Agreed. What MAL has right now works. Things just need to be upgraded.
Well, thats the best case scenario, new stuffs are getting implemented and bugs getting fixed. Given the choice, i will upgrade the site with a new design first and then the security.
Jan 17, 2015 7:12 PM

Sep 2009
The king is dead...

LONG LIVE THE KING!
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jan 17, 2015 7:14 PM

Jun 2014
I've only been here since June 2014, but this sounds like a big change, for the better.

I'm glad that I'm here to see this come into fruition.

Jan 17, 2015 7:14 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
worldeditor11 said:
Given the choice, i will upgrade the site with a new design first and then the security.
I think we have many other important things to see to before we start thinking about design changes. Our design is still functional (aside from the issues with mobile devices, which needs to be fixed).

And no, we won't turn into Hummingbird.
Jan 17, 2015 7:15 PM

Apr 2013
R.I.P. Crave.
Jan 17, 2015 7:15 PM

Feb 2013
Yay!! ^_^

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jan 17, 2015 7:16 PM

May 2014
Honestly, Idgaf what they do. I'm just glad Crave is finally getting the shaft.

So long as proifle pics, avatars and sigs can be uploaded via img links, that's honestly all I ask for.

That and for MAL to look through the suggestion board.
Click my sig
Jan 17, 2015 7:17 PM
Jul 2018
Zuihou said:
Thank you. I've had enough of this MALfunctioning site.
i see what you did thar。
Jan 17, 2015 7:18 PM

Mar 2012
Kineta said:
And no, we won't turn into Hummingbird.
God save the Queen!
LoneWolf said:
Jan 17, 2015 7:20 PM
Apr 2013
Kineta said:
worldeditor11 said:
Given the choice, i will upgrade the site with a new design first and then the security.
I think we have many other important things to see to before we start thinking about design changes. Our design is still functional.

And no, we won't turn into Hummingbird as long as I'm here.

I expect someone will say that, the main reason why i prefer changing the site's design over anything else is simple. Let the users know that you guys actually doing something since well, it is the most easily perceived one. Xinil already have a bad rep for being lazy and what not. So, getting a positive feedback from the users for a change will be good, no? At least, you guys will get some room on implementing things rather than constant stream of spams of not doing work, slow and blahblahblah.
Jan 17, 2015 7:21 PM

Aug 2013
I like MAL's simple interface.

Hummingbird-style designs can pls go.
Jan 17, 2015 7:22 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Site design changes are often very controversial. You didn't see how the community reacted when we got a horizontal navigation...

I think there are better things to achieve the same outcome :)
Jan 17, 2015 7:24 PM

Nov 2010
Will avatar changes go through right away after tomorrow? As I'm guessing this will affect the cdn or whatever.

Just fixing that would get rid of some of people's complaints.
Jan 17, 2015 7:27 PM

Mar 2012
If Xinil wanted good PR he would just add Legend of the Galactic Heroes to his favourites.

I'm definitely excited for the bug fixes.
LoneWolf said:
Jan 17, 2015 7:29 PM

Jan 2009
Kineta said:
Site design changes are often very controversial. You didn't see how the community reacted when we got a horizontal navigation...

i miss that old navigation, its much simple and minimal to look at

so ye i prefer the simple and minimal design of MAL over its competitors except AniList

just update the CSS of MAL to a modern design and that will be enough, just look at the various MAL sytlish CSS designs for an idea

and yes a mobile version of MAL is badly needed
Jan 17, 2015 7:30 PM
Apr 2013
Kineta said:

I like MAL simple interface and i personally uphold this value when designing websites just for clarification.

Ehh, what the hell. Xinil will be the judge since he is the owner and all. Like everyone in here, i hope we finally see some changes rather than another hype of nothingness. Don't like the secrecy involving the new company's name though.

Undim said:
worldeditor11 said:
Let the users know that you guys actually doing something since well, it is the most easily perceived one.

There are plenty of long standing bugs that would be plenty perceivable if they get fixed. It'll almost feel like something broke initially.

This site is loaded with bugs yes, but how many of those can be easily perceived when it is fixed? This site contain more than a million of users, and only a fraction of them browse the forums, the main part of users tend to stick with their profiles and rarely venture out.

Mod Edit: Merged double post.
KinetaJan 17, 2015 7:40 PM
Jan 17, 2015 7:35 PM

Jan 2009
worldeditor11 said:
Don't like the secrecy involving the new company's name though.

i bet they will reveal it after the maintenance, i do hope its crunchyroll though lol i wish
Jan 17, 2015 7:36 PM

May 2014
worldeditor11 said:
It's not intentional secrecy, as he infoirmed us it would be a surprise, so I wouldn't worry over the little things if I were you.

If it were intentional, he wouldn't have said it was a surprise and not tell us the company's name at all.

Don't blame you for being skeptical and disliking surprise and all (I'm the same), but I have a good feeling about it this time.

Yeah, fixing the avatar system would allievate a lot of the complaints people have been giving, but I think giving Crave the middle finger is a lot better of a solution tbh
Click my sig
Jan 17, 2015 7:38 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
IntroverTurtle said:
Will avatar changes go through right away after tomorrow? As I'm guessing this will affect the cdn or whatever.

As far as I understand, just migrating the servers probably won't fix our issues with the CDN. I know that this is very important to the majority of the community though, so I agree that this would likely make a lot of people happy if it were fixed soon.

j0x said:
just update the CSS of MAL to a modern design and that will be enough, just look at the various MAL sytlish CSS designs for an idea
Why can't everyone just use the stylish CSS design that they prefer instead? If the site design changed, likely all the old styles would break as well.

ImmahJosh said:
If Xinil wanted good PR he would just add Legend of the Galactic Heroes to his favourites.
Notifying him.

Nov 2010
Undim said:
worldeditor11 said:

Yahoo
Cnet
ISIS
Gawker

Take your pick.
The country of Japan. We'll be getting bills with our anime lists stapled to it with how much it would cost to buy all of our anime legally.

Kineta said:
ImmahJosh said:
Notifying him.
Change that to One Piece. The users who like One Piece are the most loved around the community.

Jan 2009
Undim said:
worldeditor11 said:

Yahoo
Cnet
ISIS
Gawker

Take your pick.

so ISIS loves anime heh, lets exploit that make those terrorists addicted to moe or hentai until they give up killing people

Feb 2013
So literally the minute I started on this, this thread was made, 'cause it only took me an hour to do.

I'm being watched. Illuminati confirmed. Xinil is aliens.
Jan 17, 2015 7:39 PM
Apr 2014
Sounds exciting. Surprises are nice.
Jan 17, 2015 7:40 PM
Aug 2014
I'm so stoked! Can't wait for what's coming up!! :3
Jan 17, 2015 7:42 PM

May 2014
Kineta said:
IntroverTurtle said:

As far as I understand, just migrating the servers probably won't fix our issues with the CDN. I know that this is very important to the majority of the community though, so I agree that this would likely make a lot of people happy if it were fixed soon.
Well hopefully all of MAL's problems are fixed before the site is back online. Cause if we're going to still be experiencing these issues even once the servers have been migrated sucessfully, that's gonna be a big no no for me.
Click my sig
Jan 17, 2015 7:43 PM

Jan 2012
thnks Xinil for info what a great news.

I hated CraveOnline .

I wonder who is the new investor company?

Jan 17, 2015 7:44 PM

Jan 2009
Kineta said:
IntroverTurtle said:

i got a suggestion for avatars, just allow people use image hosting websites like imgur for avatars just like how MAL handles off site signatures, and i bet this was suggested in the suggestion forum but forgotten now

Kineta said:

j0x said:
Why can't everyone just use the stylish CSS design that they prefer instead? If the site design changed, likely all the old styles would break as well.

no the basic structure of MAL will stay, what im saying is just updating the CSS to a modern one like adding rounded corners? or make gradient colors instead of flat colors for MAL like this one - https://userstyles.org/styles/83319/myanimelist-modernized
Jan 17, 2015 7:44 PM

Dec 2014
Yayyyyyyy

im looking forward to this
Jan 17, 2015 7:45 PM

May 2014
j0x said:
Kineta said:

i got a suggestion for avatars, just allow people use image hosting websites like imgur for avatars just like how MAL handles off site signatures, and i bet this was suggested in the suggestion forum but forgotten now
I've been preaching that for weeks and nothing has happened, so I'm hoping this server change is worth it.

If this problem isn't fixed even with the server change and all, I'm not gonna be happy.
j0x said:

Kineta said:

no the basic structure of MAL will stay, what im saying is just updating the CSS to a modern one like adding rounded corners? or make gradient colors instead of flat colors for MAL like this one - https://userstyles.org/styles/83319/myanimelist-modernized
Eh, that one is alright, but I think a wide variety of themes should be available.
IzayaJan 17, 2015 7:49 PM
Click my sig
Jan 17, 2015 7:49 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
-Taiyou said:
Well hopefully all of MAL's problems are fixed before the site is back online. Cause if we're going to still be experiencing these issues even once the servers have been migrated sucessfully, that's gonna be a big no no for me.

Xinil said:
2015 is going to be a HUGE year for MyAnimeList. So if we have any migration issues next week, I ask everyone to please think of the big picture: we've got a new team working on MAL (an actual development team!), and a company to hold our hand and get us the help we need. It might start out a little bumpy, but I'm confident our new owners will get things working.

Please don't expect too much out of just a server migration. The positive changes and improvements will come after.
Jan 17, 2015 7:50 PM

May 2014
Kineta said:
-Taiyou said:

Xinil said:
2015 is going to be a HUGE year for MyAnimeList. So if we have any migration issues next week, I ask everyone to please think of the big picture: we've got a new team working on MAL (an actual development team!), and a company to hold our hand and get us the help we need. It might start out a little bumpy, but I'm confident our new owners will get things working.

Please don't expect too much out of just a server migration. The positive changes and improvements will come after.
I'll believe it when I see it, but at least the problem is actually being addressed.
Click my sig
Jan 17, 2015 7:53 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Xinil said:
This server migration is the start of something I'm personally thrilled to tell everyone. MyAnimeList has been acquired by a new investor company! Starting the 20th, we will be running on their servers. This means CraveOnline's involvement with MyAnimeList will cease after January 20. I can't even begin to express how hyped I am for what our new owners can bring to the table for us!

About fucking time

Will xinil speak to us more after this?
ShakaJan 17, 2015 8:01 PM
Jan 17, 2015 8:00 PM
Nov 2008
is this real?
Jan 17, 2015 8:02 PM

May 2014
dity said:
is this real?
bileeb it bby
Click my sig
Jan 17, 2015 8:03 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wonderful news. ^_^ I hope the site gets even better.
Jan 17, 2015 8:04 PM
Mar 2014
oh wow, this is really great to hear. thanks so much to everyone involved!
Jan 17, 2015 8:06 PM

Apr 2014
; ____________________ ;

I'm so happy.

Dec 2010
Finally! The changes might not come right away, but I'm pretty excited about at least knowing for sure that change is going to be happening~

Mar 2013
Best news ever!

Feb 2013
Can't wait to find out that CNET is the new investor.

Jan 2013
HOLY SHIT, WHOA
Jan 17, 2015 8:07 PM

Dec 2012
dity said:
is this real?
Jan 17, 2015 8:07 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
This...This is history in the making
Jan 17, 2015 8:09 PM

Dec 2013
This is awesome xD.
Signature removed.
Jan 17, 2015 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
YAY thats awesome.

and bye Crave.
Jan 17, 2015 8:11 PM
Nov 2008
NTAD said:
Can't wait to find out that CNET is the new investor.
inb4 vox media, mal is now a blogging site
Jan 17, 2015 8:15 PM

Dec 2013
No opinion yet, let's see what happens...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 17, 2015 8:19 PM

Dec 2013
That's kinda really awesome, good luck :D
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
8 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.