Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 14, 2012 9:31 PM

Nov 2011
Great series, hoping this anime will be made into an official series soon.
Apr 15, 2012 3:03 PM

Feb 2010
Laevantein said:
PS:I'm still angry!! i'll go watch some gag anime right now..aargghh

Yeah, I gotta go watch a comedy after that one, too.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jul 19, 2012 12:58 PM

Jun 2008
This whole story was fucking depressing and beyond.
Aug 6, 2012 1:19 PM

Mar 2012
That was such a sad end lol, great arc though.
Aug 18, 2012 4:20 PM

May 2012
Nice arc I think this anime is divided in 3 arcs!

This arc was quite interesting the combined story made sense but the individual where quite weird oO
Aug 25, 2012 7:48 PM
Jun 2012
This is truely a masterpiece.
Sep 5, 2012 3:49 AM

Mar 2010
Takai said:
This whole story was fucking depressing and beyond.
yep
Jan 25, 2013 7:38 PM
Aug 2011
What an incredibly dismal life.

I read the comments I don't understand why there was so much confusion in the first few pages.
The story is pretty damn clear for it only being 4 episodes.

Yozo is the kind of character where it's difficult to find the right feelings for.
I hated some of the things he did but at the same time I felt all-around pity for him.
Feb 8, 2013 5:32 AM
Dec 2012
Th3DivineOne said:
Glad I picked up this anime. I was unsure of whether or not it would be my cup of tea, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far. I hope I can say the same after watching the other arcs.

Yeah it's a deep and interesting story adapted from Osamu Dazai's maspterpiece Ningen Shikkaku (aka No Longer Human). There are some manga adaptations of the novel if you are interested. Anime/manga creators each give a different interpretation to the same story.
Mar 1, 2013 9:17 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, the ending of this arc..just wow. That's how the cookie crumbles is how I see the ending as. They will be together forever now. forever.
Mar 3, 2013 5:06 PM

May 2010
To me this was really a story about mental illness... and how in the end Yozo just couldn't find a way to cope with living in the real world.
It hits pretty close to home.. my brother tried numerous times (and eventually succeeded) in committing suicide. He spent 7 years struggling with severe psychosis.
I'm not saying it's the right way out - but really, we can never understand what it's like to view the world like they do.
I feel for the author and those people who's lives he affected.
Jun 4, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
I watched the series so far until this episode and i guess what happened regarding Yozo's wife Yoshiko is like some how pretty similar to what happened to Dazai when Dazai's brother in law slept with Dazai's wife when Dazai was in the hospital because of an overdose...

Good episodes so far but i seriously feel angry regarding what happened to Yoshiko and why she let it happened like come on... It is still a mystery though as to whether Yoshiko sell her body to sell off Yozo's work or if it was just Rape since she was restrained and was crying. Or maybe as she was raped she was threatened that if she screams his husband's work for that publisher will be long gone. Wouldve been nice if he had a happy life with Yoshiko.

Good eps so fa though, and i guess will have to get a copy of the book to find out what really happened regarding Yoshiko's case, im really curious. Id be really mad if she did actually sell her body to the publisher of her husband's manga....
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Jun 12, 2013 2:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Incredible storytelling and voiceacting. The soundtrack is superb too. What a compelling series this is.

Be it rape or selling her body in order to keep her husband fed an clothed, Yoshiko's story is incredibly sad. And Yozo is one of the saddest characters I've ever seen in any medium.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 20, 2013 3:27 PM

Jan 2012
I have to say that after watching the No Longer Human portion of this show that the manga adaptation is much better. There were just some things during the whole mini-series that felt rushed and stuff. I highly recommend the manga.
Jul 7, 2013 2:38 PM
Jun 2013
Well, what I can say.. that was powerful, alright.
Jul 23, 2013 2:54 AM

Apr 2009
Gut wrenching, but understandable. Granted, there're still a few confusing strands lurking in the background here or there, but I'll let them slide. I think I can for the most part say that I get what's going on.

As for the episode, well, all I can say is that it's nice to have a breath of shit air once in a while. The ending certainly took me with a small stab of surprise, but on the flip side, I can readily understand how Youzou's fragile nature could eventually unravel to this mess. I'm sad at the result, definitely, but not angry. I don't often get a chance to experience such a cynical, depressing, yet genuine finish, so it's nice to see this done quite well, quite well indeed.

I'm a little scared of the future arcs/stories that in the rest of this series, however. I don't think this is something I can marathon without feeling my heart and soul crush under the potential weight. But I'm absolutely intrigued in what these "classics" have to offer. I just hope it gets a little lighter further down the road.
Aug 13, 2013 9:07 AM

Aug 2012
Right now, I'm disgusted with society

brb, ripping my face off
Sep 19, 2013 6:50 PM

Apr 2012
Reminds me a little of Camus' L'Etranger.

The BGM is really nice.
Sep 28, 2013 2:38 PM
Feb 2013
I might be missing something but why would they have sex in their house? especially when his friend was there. its like they were asking to get caught. and if it was such a sure thing that he never came out of his room why would she tell him that his boss was there in the first place?
Oct 8, 2013 1:02 AM

Mar 2012
Great arc story though very depressing. Interesting how every time his "friend" appeared his life went to shit yet again. I feel bad for him since he actually tried several times to improve it but something always caused him to lose his mind when he was on track with his life.
Nov 16, 2013 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
Wow. Really depressing.
Jan 14, 2014 12:26 PM

Jan 2012
Really powerful arc. His character was quite complex and there are so many factors that made him the way he is.
Mar 2, 2014 2:04 PM

Aug 2013
Probably one of the best anime I have found in a while. Really enjoyed the narration of the author, as well. Personally, I enjoyed watching Yozo change and slowly escape his delusions and self-doubt. How he reverts to his old self near the end was very powerful, too, as it shows how malleable the human mind is.

About Yoshiko (Yozo's wife):
Initially, I thought that she was having an affair with Yozo's publisher so that his manga would sell, as he accused her of doing so. But then I reconsidered the possibility that she might have actually been raped (their marriage was so content to begin with). Going back to the actual scene, there are marks on the floor where Yoshiko's hands are and her feet are constantly moving, meaning she did try to escape. She probably did scream, but seeing as how Yozo was drinking with Horiki in his room (and he was drunk), he probably didn't hear her.
If we go by the narrations about the author in the beginning of every episode, however, there is one part where the narrator says that while Dazai was in the hospital, his wife had slept with his best friend. And, seeing how "No Longer Human" is practically Dazai's auto-biography, it is very plausible to say that Yoshiko did indeed sleep with the publisher so that Yozo's manga would sell.

Just my two cents.
Mar 18, 2014 11:56 PM

Apr 2009
Nice arc. It's really hard to understand the show if you don't have the feeling for the characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2014 12:16 AM

Jun 2012
That was utterly depressing, I am now really interested in reading the novel. If I do (this summer), it will be the first time I've voluntarily (i.e. not for school) read a book since grade school I think haha. So that's a big impact this has had on me, and got me really interested.

. . . alright srsly time to watch some Nichijou I can't go to bed in the state I am now.

May 26, 2014 2:42 AM

Jun 2011
ralphy0103 said:
francismeunier said:
nor Youzou did anything to stop this pig:
It's very simple, he didn't stop his boss from raping his wife because the moment he saw them he realized that his wife was always sleeping with his boss to get him work, that's the very moment he lost faith in her.

It becomes apparent in their last conversation, Youzou says, "It was strange for a manga like this to start selling......". Insinuating that it was his wife that was getting him the work by giving her body to his boss.

Very simple to understand and I don't think I would have done anything differently if I were in Youzou's situation. I lose all faith in women who give up their bodys in any circumstance, I'll cut my ties with a girl the moment I find out she's been with someone else.

Bolded: That's so cold. It's like saying "I am gonna divorce my wife because she was raped."
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 14, 2014 2:20 AM
Dec 2011
I'm actually considering buying the novel. Really, a great series.. I'm glad it was adapted into a short anime.
Jun 19, 2014 8:26 PM

Sep 2011
No Longer Human. Shit son.

A failure, failing at life, failing to suicide, and failing at becoming human. Deep.
Aug 18, 2014 8:31 PM
Jun 2014
He's climbin in your windows
He's snatchin your people up
Tryna rape em so y'all need to
Hide your kids, hide your wife
Aug 24, 2014 4:18 AM

Jan 2014
Ok it was a nice arc, but the way it was presented and the art, as well as the ost elevated it a lot.
By the way, like someone already said it, his wife and the editor pretty asked for it, being surprised I mean..
The incipits of every episode are engaging.
Aug 28, 2014 12:38 AM

Apr 2014
So far pretty good, I have to say. Brilliantly conveyed the emotions and psychological state of the protagonist.
your waifu is shit
Nov 21, 2014 6:42 AM

Dec 2013
Powerful arc.

He finally snaps when his boss dash his final hope in life. I guess he turned to drugs to escape from the grip of emotional pain and eventually died due to sickness.

Do you guys think he is naturally a failure in life or did circumstances lead him into the path? I think it's the latter.

I wonder if things will go differently if he was able to relive his life.

Very sad life he had although he did have enormous luck in ladies.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Dec 5, 2014 2:03 AM

Nov 2013
Wow I'm geniunely confused. That rape scene had me my mind completely twisted. The wife not screaming or struggling at all, Yozo not bothering to save her, the wife asking "Why didn't you save me?". I have no idea.

Good arc nevertheless. There were a lot of things I didn't understand but I'd say that the artwork, animation, and music makes up for it.

7.5/10
FunnyRatmanDec 5, 2014 2:08 AM

Dec 31, 2014 4:58 PM

Mar 2012
Yagami Light and Youzo. Basically the same face. Exact same hair. Seems intelligent and it's actually fucked up in the head, crazy. Both ended in a shameless way.
They most be brothers...

I like both of them though, I see them as both amazing characters.
Feb 21, 2015 11:38 PM

Sep 2014
b1GZZ said:
Yagami Light and Youzo. Basically the same face. Exact same hair. Seems intelligent and it's actually fucked up in the head, crazy. Both ended in a shameless way.
They most be brothers...

I like both of them though, I see them as both amazing characters.

lol I read the manga version (by Usamaru Furuya) and I also thought they looked very similar. Near the end I was like, so this is what Light might've looked like if he took drugs LOL

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Mar 2, 2015 7:15 AM

Dec 2013
Damn, this was depressing but I loved this story.
Apr 19, 2015 2:05 PM

Jul 2012
Already read the novels so I don't have much so say about it. It was pretty great overall even if they overdid the "tiny little monster" scenes.
May 17, 2015 12:14 AM

Jan 2010
The graphic and twisted downward spiral finally ends. At least, for this story.

Was the story good? Did it have a point? Did everything have to be necessarily bleak? Semantics could be thrown around all day, but that's besides the point. What we have here is something very special in anime - a story in a television series, not a movie, which portrays disillusionment, depression, madness, and self-destruction in a real-world context, full of all that great mental instability normally associated with it all. Of course, the graphic nature of the show isn't exactly to my liking, but it won't stop me from recognizing that it knows what it's doing and it's playing it up. The fact that it's based on an actual novel, in addition to having little history lessons to make it seem more real, just compounds my respect for this show.

I can't marathon this. It's way too heavy, but it's definitely a keeper so far.
Jun 15, 2015 3:15 AM
Nov 2014
One of the most depressing shit I have ever seen, this is on par with Texhnolyze ;_;

That soundtrack when he was about to die was fitting and sad.

What a way to end an amazing arc.
Jul 11, 2015 8:52 PM

Jul 2011
In the end, I can't help but pity him. His consciousness would be better off succeeding the first time he attempted suicide.

I didn't like how the women were still defending him in the end. Especially the wife.

Anyhow, based off an autobiographical work. Excellent atmosphere.
Aug 23, 2015 1:05 PM

Feb 2015
The fact that this is based on a true story makes me feel sad and depressed.
Oct 20, 2015 2:03 AM

Mar 2013
='(

Nov 6, 2015 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
Such a dark story, seeing how much he have been through and how this is based on a true story made me really sad. Very depressing, but a good story overall.
Dec 14, 2015 3:35 PM

Mar 2014
francismeunier said:
What I don't understand also is why did not Hiriko (especially since he joined the army) nor Youzou did anything to stop this pig:
from raping Yoshika.

This is what I don't understand. I can kind of see why Youzou wouldn't, since he was kind of insane and he also lost a lot of his human side, but for an entirely rational human being like Hiriko, why didn't he tackle that dude or kick him off of her?
It's not like it would actually change the story at all, but since it wasn't a realistic reaction to things, it seemed out-of-place and took me out of the experience a bit.
::End of Transmission::

Jan 8, 2016 6:49 AM

Nov 2012
You know what. The creator's life is as interesting as this series that he created. About more than half of Ningen Shikkaku is based on his real life experiences.
This psychological series is really something.
Jan 12, 2016 8:49 AM

Jan 2012
Nice ending theme, finally they are together forever.

Mar 7, 2016 1:00 PM

Aug 2011
Youzou was a pitiful, scared and lost human being in a world that rejected him simply because he was viewed as an unwanted weakling by society's norm. The only thing he was even remotely good at was drawing (and later on, drinking) and trying his hardest to be the person people were expecting of him while almost everyone he came to know taking advantage of him ever since he was a child (esp. Horiki), excluding the women he had relationships with (but INcluding the maidens from his childhood). Pathetic, yes, but there are people like that in the world, as well.
It's hard to like and even harder to DISlike Youzou - it's like watching a cracked vase: while still functional and pretty despite the cracks running along the sides right now, those cracks will one day give in and the whole thing will crumble into pieces. It wasn't even sympathy - all I could feel was pity for him.
Dazai was a pretty messed up guy himself so if i had to guess, I'd say this novel was at least half-autobiographical.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Mar 25, 2016 4:06 PM

Nov 2015
In the end Youzou wasnt really happy at all. I feel pity for the guy. When he thought he was truly happy with Yoshiko, he found out the reality he was living. He gave up and drugged himself to become free from the world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2016 9:24 AM

May 2015
I finished this arc tonight, and

"No Longer Human" isn't an appropriate title in my opinion, because Youzou is the perfect example of a human's weaknesses taken to the complete extreme. If he hadn't been a 'human', he wouldn't have felt the pain and guilt he did, the crippling arrogance/anxiety, the hope for comfort. All completely human.

It's sad that in the end of the day, Dazai Osamu-san went on with it and 'succeeded' in committing suicide. Maybe he'd stand a better chance living in a more modern societylike ours now, but the battle is still a crushingly uphill one.

I've learned that stiffly defining (or listening to) what are meant to be relative terms ('human', 'normal', 'happy') are a surefire way of setting oneself up for worry and disappointment. If Youzou made a mistake, it was him lacking character and hence becoming too obedient/trusting of others.
littlefujiApr 7, 2016 9:32 AM

"Everyone wants to carve their scars into someone else; everyone wants to connect with someone else." -- Sonozaki Noriko, Kiznaiver
Apr 18, 2016 4:35 AM

Mar 2015
I just have one thing I don't understand. So the editor came looking for Youzou because of the drafts or whatever. And the editor decided to have sex with his wife in their house while he is waiting for him to come down? What the fuck? Did I miss something or did this ridiculous shit really happen?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.