Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about anime long-running anime?

New
Aug 26, 2014 4:53 AM

Aug 2013
What I mean by this is anime that are in the "hundreds of episodes" or "hundreds of eps and still counting" mark ala Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, FT, etc.

How do you feel in particular about the length of those types of anime. Do you feel it works for or against the story-telling?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 26, 2014 5:01 AM

Sep 2012
I like them but I'm not nearly as infatuated with the idea of these kinda anime as I used to be, so I won't bother to marathon any more of them after I eventually finish Gintama. I'll stick to smaller episode counts.

For stuff like One Piece and the way it's story plays out, the episode count is definitely a plus for it's story-telling, though this is still at the cost of some rather snooze-worthy pacing at certain times, especially post time-skip.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 26, 2014 5:06 AM

Jan 2014
I may not be a fan, but I suppose that One Piece is an example of a long-running shounen anime keeping the attention of the fan base consistently. However, keeping attention is not the same as keeping up quality.

My personal opinion is that stories can't really be that long without impacting negatively. A story that can be told properly in a shorter amount of time is of a higher quality to me. For example, a 12 episode anime that is really moving, verses "it takes 9000 episodes to get good". I'm just not into it.
Aug 26, 2014 5:11 AM

May 2013
It tends to work against them because of all the filler, I think if they stopped adding filler more people might prefer longer over shorter. I personally love long running anime.
Aug 26, 2014 5:15 AM

Jan 2013
There's shows that work, and not work.
I find One Piece really helps, as the "filler" didnt feel like filler to me, but more like it's supposed to be there, part of the story.

Naruto on the other hand ... it feels extremely filler'ish? - examples would be the missions they keep getting which didnt have anything to do with what happened before or after.
There are some filler episodes that were good, Kakashi filler arc f.e.
Aug 26, 2014 5:20 AM

Jan 2013
Long running series are usually good. I say this because you start to familiarize the characters more, and it's always interesting to watch the development of those characters further in the series. But the main problem is, that long running series have a lot of fillers. The first example is Shippuden. It's a good series, (although the manga is crap) but the fillers decerase the quality of that anime. I mean, the animators make better animation in fillers than in canon, it's crazy
Aug 26, 2014 5:23 AM

Jul 2014
There is only so much original and entertaining ideas you can come up with for one anime. In my opinion, the longer they run, the worst they tend to get.
Aug 26, 2014 5:27 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think whenever you start writing a work of fiction, you should already know you're going to end it. As long as you stay true to that goal, then most things can work out. However if you just start making things up as you go along, it will almost always drop in quality before long. As far as super long stuff goes, it doesn't necessarily have to fall into that second category, but I think there's an overwhelming risk of it at least. This doesn't just go for anime, but all kinds of fiction and media.

Though of course if it's from some sort of plotless genre like pure comedy, then the journey is all that really matters rather than the ending in which case this way of thinking doesn't really apply as much.
Aug 26, 2014 5:45 AM

Dec 2012
I like some of them.

Good thread...
Aug 26, 2014 5:47 AM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
I like some of them.

Good thread...
your waifu is shit
Aug 26, 2014 5:51 AM

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
I like some of them.

Good thread...

What's the point of posting that, other than telling him you're an ass.
Aug 26, 2014 6:01 AM

Dec 2012
I'm pointing out, that there is no discussion going on here, or something to discuss. The OP didn't bother writing a proper opening post, he only picked long running shounens, and so far every reply have been stereotypical and doesn't leave much room for meaningful discussion.

Everybody can, and might answer the questions he asked, without some sort of discussion stirring up, hence the lack of effort in my post, and the sarcastic remark.
Aug 26, 2014 6:20 AM

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
I'm pointing out, that there is no discussion going on here, or something to discuss. The OP didn't bother writing a proper opening post, he only picked long running shounens, and so far every reply have been stereotypical and doesn't leave much room for meaningful discussion.

Everybody can, and might answer the questions he asked, without some sort of discussion stirring up, hence the lack of effort in my post, and the sarcastic remark.

Apparently the people above you disagree? If you were looking for a good discussion maybe you should try to get the ball rolling with something you think is "meaningful" then.
Aug 26, 2014 6:22 AM

Jul 2008
As long as I like the storyline and character development then I welcome long series. Lets face it, if the series is extremely terrible then most people would probably quit after giving the series a few episodes.
Aug 26, 2014 6:23 AM

Sep 2012
They're okay, depending on the cast and story.
Aug 26, 2014 6:24 AM

Mar 2013
$$
Aug 26, 2014 6:26 AM

Jul 2013
I have no problem with them as long as they would have a proper ending unlike Bleach. I don't know what shit took place but the anime adaptation stopped and the manga is still running. I hope this won't happen to One Piece. Unfortunately HxH fell victim to this but that only because it lacks source material.
Aug 26, 2014 6:33 AM

Jan 2014
Only 2 are masterpieces
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2014 6:35 AM
May 2014
Champloo_Remix said:
What I mean by this is anime that are in the "hundreds of episodes" or "hundreds of eps and still counting" mark ala Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, FT, etc.

How do you feel in particular about the length of those types of anime. Do you feel it works for or against the story-telling?

It gives you something to watch in between anime series. & when I watch something especially dark and twisted, I turn back to One Piece to kill the nightmares before they hit.
Aug 26, 2014 6:41 AM

Mar 2013
If they're enjoyable all the way I don't have a problem with long, but it makes it far harder to start a show
Full time redditor and fedora owner, gg
Aug 26, 2014 6:41 AM

Sep 2012
Grunbeld said:
Only 2 are masterpieces

And what are those?
Aug 26, 2014 6:44 AM

Dec 2013
I generally like them. They help give me something to look forward to each and every week.
Aug 26, 2014 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
ExtraZero said:
Grunbeld said:
Only 2 are masterpieces

And what are those?

i believe hxh 2011 and one piece
Aug 26, 2014 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
Remove the filler episodes and they're actually good.
Aug 26, 2014 6:46 AM

Aug 2013
I like long running series.
Aug 26, 2014 6:46 AM

Jan 2014
ExtraZero said:
Grunbeld said:
Only 2 are masterpieces

And what are those?

Hunter, and of course, Hunter. That's why we ship them as Hunter x Hunter.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2014 7:11 AM

Dec 2012
D1C3M4N said:
tsudecimo said:

Apparently the people above you disagree? If you were looking for a good discussion maybe you should try to get the ball rolling with something you think is "meaningful" then.

You missed my point. And this meta talk is not gonna help this thread.
Aug 26, 2014 7:30 AM

May 2013
I like them but it's unfortunate when they drop in quality. I love the One Piece manga but I only really enjoyed the anime up until the end of the WB war. After that the pacing started slacking, but I think that's more-so the studio's fault.
Fuck it. Every signature I upload ends up removed anyways.
Aug 26, 2014 7:41 AM

Nov 2010
They're great, generally better than shorter anime. And they usually make their length work for them. With some anime like One Piece I don't even think you could compress it to under 200 episodes and still have it work the same. You also get very attached to the characters which leads to better drama moments and an all around better connection with the series. Their slower pace and structure make it very easy to marathon too.
On top of that they provide a good anime to watch every week for years acting as something to look forward to.
IntroverTurtleAug 26, 2014 7:45 AM
Aug 26, 2014 7:42 AM
Aug 2014
-Klad- said:
Long running series are usually good. I say this because you start to familiarize the characters more, and it's always interesting to watch the development of those characters further in the series. But the main problem is, that long running series have a lot of fillers. The first example is Shippuden. It's a good series, (although the manga is crap) but the fillers decerase the quality of that anime. I mean, the animators make better animation in fillers than in canon, it's crazy

Excatly! I've been watching Naruto since start (when I was kid) and even though people hate that anime I like it because I really love characters from it. I have some nostalgia feelings when watching that anime. I remember when I wasn't fully into anime world I prayed to god that Kishimoto never ends that anime. After that I watched plenty other animes and now I am just okay with putting an end on Naruto series, it became dissaster with all the fillers, I lost myself in story.

I like long-running animes because of the same reason as you do.
Plus, I like when anime is not mainly focused on story.
In Fairy Tail, for example I like all those casual episodes in Magnolia.
Aug 26, 2014 7:45 AM

Jul 2012
I like a good amount of these long runners (namely PoT, ES21, Conan, Uchuu Kyoudai, Major). Most of these had the benefit of having more episodes than the normal two cour anime. Sometimes length could be a good thing. More time with your favourite characters, more time to grow...etc.

lm_L said:
If they're enjoyable all the way I don't have a problem with long, but it makes it far harder to start a show

^
Aug 26, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2011
i dont mind them, LOGH is actually one of my fav anime
Aug 26, 2014 8:21 AM

Feb 2010
The longer the better

Like Stargate
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 26, 2014 8:28 AM

Mar 2014
I geuss i used to like them more before, i try to avoid watching anime that pass 200 eps, although i am watching gintama currently :/

If they dont have annoying fillers then its fine.
Aug 26, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2012
I like them if they can go at a good pace without too many fillers. Anime series like Hunter x Hunter 2011is a good example. If it had been shorter then it would have missed out on more details and been boring.
Aug 26, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2012
I like them if they can go at a good pace without too many fillers. Anime series like Hunter x Hunter 2011is a good example. If it had been shorter then it would have missed out on more details and been boring.
Aug 26, 2014 10:25 AM

Nov 2013
They're great but they take dedication and motivation to watch. I mean, I used to watch them all the time, I watched Naruto, FT, op etc. I still watch one piece but I can't start other ones. I know i'll eventually watch Gintama and Legend of the Galactic heroes but the episode count is demotivating.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Aug 26, 2014 10:26 AM

Apr 2013
I feel that they are long.
Aug 26, 2014 12:28 PM

Sep 2012
It works if the pace is well done.
Aug 26, 2014 2:18 PM
Dec 2013
They're objectively better than short-running anime. There's also not enough of them currently airing.
Aug 26, 2014 2:20 PM
Dec 2013
JumpinJackCrash said:
They're objectively better than short-running anime. There's also not enough of them currently airing.
[AGREE] | [DISAGREE]
Aug 26, 2014 4:04 PM

Sep 2013
~300 episodes and under: sure thats fine, Ill watch.
One Piece: lemme know when something happens but fuck watching/reading it.
Aug 26, 2014 4:12 PM

Jan 2014
ScazoN said:
JumpinJackCrash said:
[AGREE] | [DISAGREE]

+1
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 26, 2014 4:48 PM
Oct 2010
I don't like them because quality tends to be compromised after the first one or two major arcs.
Aug 26, 2014 4:56 PM

Aug 2014
Well... IMO some of these anime are actually enjoyable, like Naruto, mostly because the story expressed in even more impact and much easier to understand than the manga especially in the recent arc... tho those filler episodes kinda ticked me off since they took like 10-15 episodes until they continue to the main story...

All I can say is long running anime are decent enough, but can get boring later on...
Aug 26, 2014 4:56 PM
Mar 2013
they're no different than short anime; some are good and some are bad.
Aug 26, 2014 4:57 PM

Feb 2013
JD2411 said:
they're no different than short anime; some are good and some are bad.
size queens will claim otherwise
Aug 26, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2014
Pros: Lots of Episodes
Cons: Lots of Episodes

Basically most of these big animes have been going on for years and they still aren't finished, which is a bit frustrating of course. Then again you can watch it every week but I prefer binge watching.
In animes such as Naruto probably near half of the anime is fillers which I got tired of eventually

Aug 26, 2014 6:42 PM
Dec 2013
justvincexd said:
Pros: Lots of Episodes
Cons: Lots of Episodes

Basically most of these big animes have been going on for years and they still aren't finished, which is a bit frustrating of course. Then again you can watch it every week but I prefer binge watching.
In animes such as Naruto probably near half of the anime is fillers which I got tired of eventually
It's different if you actually like long running series and enjoy them.

Pros : Lots of episodes
Cons : Ending* :/
Aug 26, 2014 7:22 PM

Mar 2014
I prefer my anime short and sweet. Long running anime is not for me.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - Yesterday

30 by Lucifrost »»
9 seconds ago

» What are some anime memes from the late 2000's to early 2010's that you still remeber fondly ?

tchitchouan - Today

7 by -Ryu »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime you would watch if it never ended

ST63LTH - Yesterday

22 by Jiya18622 »»
4 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - Today

31 by zombie_pegasus »»
6 minutes ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - 7 hours ago

16 by cyandaqil »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.