Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 11, 2016 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
Ah Kon Satoshi you beautiful man may you rest in peace...

As expected from him this was such a great movie unfortunetely with some major flaws I'm not gonna go deep and write a whole review thingy because I suck at making analyses and writing reviews in general.

Also I really do not like to make comparison and I know they are completely different in many aspects but I believe Perfect Blue is just superior to Paprika in everyway possible.The characterization the climax the overall story how it was a ginormus middle finger to the obsessive idol fans even the mindfuck part...there are still some things I'm not certain/am suspicious about PB's ending.It was a brilliant movie..
Nov 4, 2016 10:44 PM

Oct 2016
It was a wonderful movie. I give 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2016 11:50 PM

Oct 2015
That was an inception style anime movie but lesser. The story had a great idea but there were mistakes there and there other than that it was mind blowing. sometimes i did not tell the difference between reality and a dream. The way Paprika defeated the chairman was a let down, by absorbing him hmm.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 13, 2017 8:04 AM

May 2016
This movie is two hours long but I had to stretch it to twice its duration to take in all the trippiness and understand it.

Paprika is At-chan's split personality that took form courtesy of the DC-Mini.

Konakawa was in love with Paprika because she helped him deal with some unfinished business with his friend.

Himuro is in love with Osanai and is jealous of his boss Tokita because Osanai's interested in him because of the DC-Mini.

Chairman is an old dude who's literally always on a chair and is clearly a megalomaniac who dislikes dreams being accessed by others because it's the only place where he can be all powerful and not be confined by his disabilities. He needed Osanai to do his dirty work because he can't move much and all that (I think that he really wouldn't agree to have sex with Himuro for the dream device to say the least).

Anyway... the dream parade sequences are incredibly flamboyant, awesome and disturbing all in the same time. It's hilarious to see the victims scream out gibberish and act like braindead happy-go-lucky nutjobs xD I might have nightmares later tho ,_,

Midway through the movie, I searched up radioclub.jp and found out that it was real albeit with a lot of Japanese that I didn't understand. Go give it a try~

The final fight was a little underwhelming considering how silly and abrupt it ended up (it's a dream; anything can happen). But it's nice that they added in a better view of her tits.

I was surprised that At-chan tied the knot with Tokita. I guess that there's hope for people like us after all xD

Nice reference to Satoshi Kon's previous movies showing in the cinema~ Overall, I enjoyed Paprika for the mindfucking inception movie it is and I enjoyed it a lot more than Perfect Blue :3

Jan 27, 2017 2:45 PM

Oct 2014
my thoughts on this are mixed

i've tried to watch it before, but could never get into it or would fall asleep (i would always try to watch it late at night lol) but i decided to finally stick through to it, and while i didn't find it to be as good as i've seen it hyped up to be i did somewhat enjoy certain parts

i often see perfect blue and paprika compared together, and between the two i'd definitely say i do prefer perfect blue.

let me start by saying i am a HUGE fan of psychological and horror themes, they're probably my absolute favorite to watch in anime. and while the prospect of paprika was interesting, i did find it incredibly confusing (like serial experiments lain confusing) and a bit slow at times.

there were parts i enjoyed - chiba/paprika's dream was one of my favorites. i wasn't expecting osanai to be an antagonist, and his obsession with her genuinely creeped me out (but in a good way if that makes sense? i've always enjoyed reading manga/watching anime/movies with obsessive loves, they're the one thing that can actually make me scared)

i also LOVED the animation, although it was nothing short of a kon movie where the animation is always superb. still, it was amazing. the score was very good too.

overall, i gave this a 6. while it wasn't my absolute favorite work of kon's, it did have qualities i enjoyed, and i would probably watch it again one day
Feb 10, 2017 11:35 PM

Aug 2007
I really like Satoshi Kon's work.

I feel like this was almost an extension of Paranormal Agent, which was a great series.
Compared to Perfect Blue, I actually prefer this type of style much more.
7/10, like Paranormal Agent -- Perfect Blue I scored average (5/10) for reference.

I think it's because the characters are more likeable. I found Chiba falling in love with Tokita refreshing. Though Tokita was sometimes the brunt of the joke, they humanized him than just making him "that one fat person."

Feb 23, 2017 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
I felt I was on a drug trip lol. Interesting movie and the overall message abt dreams was pretty clear but the story was really meh for me, although the direction allowed tons of creativity in experimenting with dreams. Nothing to say abt Kon's direction and animation as they have been always great, 7/10.
Mar 30, 2017 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
I knew I had some Mousou Dairinrin vibes off of this one.
Mostly because of the music and illustration I guess.
I enjoyed this movie even if it was strange with the dreams, visuals, etc.
It was quite a fun ride. 7/10.
Jun 24, 2017 5:15 PM

Jun 2013
Just by taking it at face value, this was already a fun time, thanks to the crazy visuals. But I also appreciated the theme of imagination vs reality (apparently a recurring one of Kon's works), and childishness vs adulthood. It left me wanting more, I wouldn't mind watching a series with characters like Chiba, Tokita, Konakawa and Shima; they weren't all fully realized but they were sufficiently charismatic.

The main characters reminded me of GitS: Stand Alone Complex, maybe that was one reason why I expected there to be no conventional villain behind the incident. I think that was one shortcoming of the movie, that the antagonists were a bit underdeveloped. I couldn't get a full grasp on their motivations. I also didn't see exactly what it added to the story that not one, not two but four of the characters had a crush on Chiba (even if it is understandable, haha). I wasn't a huge fan of the inclusion of Chiba's romance with Tokita, but at least I could see that the two characters complimented each other, and their relationship was thematically relevant to Chiba's character arc (immaturity and maturity).

There are some bits that I will probably remember for a while, like Konakawa's therapy sessions, the carnival, the opening sequence, the part where Atsuko swallowed the big bad, and some of Paprika's adventures in general.

thatguy said:
I believe the point of the movie was that dreams provide people with a more honest look at themselves and situations. Hence the Detective's realization about his friend and movie aspirations and Dr. Chiba's emotional disconnect and her confession about the fat genius.

I like this explanation.
LeeTailorJun 24, 2017 5:42 PM
Jun 27, 2017 3:16 AM

Jun 2015
I didn't fully grasp the film, but if I did I would've enjoyed it more
Maybe it warrants rewatch
Otherwise, it was pretty enjoyable
Jul 28, 2017 12:13 AM

Mar 2016
My brain is twice as open now...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2017 2:46 AM
Apr 2015
I just watched it today and enjoyed it.

Had a mundane question that I've spent some time trying to wrap my head around but can't seem to get to it.

How did Chiba enter Konokawa's dream? In the beginning of the film it was shown that Paprika was in a dream with Konokawa in the carnival sequence. Then they "wake up" and they're both wearing DC minis... I thought that was reality until later on into the movie you realize that was a dream too since Paprika existed/was interacting with Konakawa. At that point Konokawa had not met Chiba yet and he got the radio.jp card after that.

So how did they meet in the first place/Chiba enter his dream in the beginning? Chiba couldn't have given Konokawa the DC mini since they hadn't met in person yet (so I don't know how she entered his dream in the first place to manifest as Paprika), who then wore one with Kon in that dream to enter the carnival sequence etc.

Sorry for overthinking it but it's been bothering me lol.
Aug 24, 2017 6:56 PM
Aug 2017
LazyHobo said:
I just watched it today and enjoyed it.

So how did they meet in the first place/Chiba enter his dream in the beginning? Chiba couldn't have given Konokawa the DC mini since they hadn't met in person yet (so I don't know how she entered his dream in the first place to manifest as Paprika), who then wore one with Kon in that dream to enter the carnival sequence etc.

Sorry for overthinking it but it's been bothering me lol.

Paprika can go into any dream of anyone involved with the DC mini

I believe the idea behind this, is that Chiba cannot be the one to meet the patients. It has to be Paprika. Paprika does all the consultations for the patients. The hotel itself is a dream, they use that dream to go over the dream Konokawa was having. This means showing the DC mini, his conversation with Paprika, is all done and explained while he is asleep in his own room.

So maybe:

Konokawa is given DC Mini > goes to sleep normally expecting his consultation w/Paprika > Dream starts normally, and Paprika has her opening to come in > dream ends, she alters the dream to the hotel > discuss his dream and he wakes up.

Paprika says the end of REM sleep is the longest dream and easiest to analyze. If she ends his dream in the hotel and does their final discussions there, he is more likely to remember what they talked about even if he does not remember the entire dream. The point of what she offers is the therapy and psychological help she can provide at the end of the dream.

I agree this is confusing and not 100% clear though.
Sep 2, 2017 11:50 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, finally got around to watching this and I loved it! Really interesting plot first of all, about technology and dreams, and how they really tell you about yourself. I agree the first scene is a bit confusing since we know Atsuko is Paprika, so it wouldn't make sense for Konokawa to see Paprika. That scene in the hotel room must have still been in the dream :P The editing was of course amazing but it was such an enjoyable ride I loved it! The characters were great too, and of course the seiyuu - I couldn't believe that Atsuko and Paprika were voiced by the same person they looked so different! :O Plus the art and animation were so crisp and the music really added to the movie as well. Man, the movie Inception has gotta be inspired by this lol :P I was actually really surprised at how much I liked this, was wavering between a 9 and 10 for so long but I feel like I just gotta give this one a 10/10 :D
EDIT: I forgot to mention - I loved the part at the end where it showed all of his previous movies at the theater XD
EvianBubbleSep 3, 2017 12:29 AM
Sep 28, 2017 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
This movie is an interesting and a weird one... 7 out of 10
Oct 19, 2017 7:17 PM
Jun 2016
Kinda seemed like inception
But it was very good
Nov 15, 2017 2:25 PM

Apr 2017
Great film, but the tempo felt too rushed and you really have to keep up with what's happening. The soundtrack by Susumu Hirasawa is amazing as always.

The ending gave me the feels...

Nov 30, 2017 3:53 AM
Feb 2016
I think the only thing I didn't like about the movie is I felt like there was a lack of development/exploration to the contrast of the main female character's characterization in the real world especially and dream world (which is better explored with the visuals especially that opening!) through coming to terms with one's inner desires. Wasn't really a fan of how she acted all so cold and apathetic in reality without a better reason for doing so.
Jan 2, 2018 5:11 PM

Jan 2017
The oldest tricks in history of storytelling, plus redundancy of characters and lines.
Disconnected reasoning behind actions.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Feb 6, 2018 8:39 PM

Jul 2013
What? That babe Atsuko is marrying that fatso? Damn that means there's hope for me yet. Lol kidding aside this is some inception type mindfuck shit. To think that the faggot ass paraplegic professor X is the villain. Whatever it was fine.

Aug 28, 2018 11:53 PM
Nov 2013
I would say Paprika is a decent anime, it is like a trip after you taking magic shroom, solid 8/10.
A55CH33KS 10V3R 69
Oct 27, 2018 6:04 PM

Dec 2016
Ohhhhh yeah this is some good stuff
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 11, 2018 5:56 PM

Sep 2018
i don't understand why many recommend this. i expect too much.. it is just a fine movie.. can u explain why it is good for you?
Nov 25, 2018 4:57 AM

Nov 2009
I liked the concept of when science, dreams and reality collide and turn in to a big, merged delusional mess. Glad to see a strong female main in Chiba. Paprika, even though the same person(?) I didn't like as much. The badass in the wheelchair was cool, was kind of rooting for him but I often root for villians. Visual imagery was fantastic. However, the details of the story and storytelling style was hard to grasp so wasn't as invested as I wanted to be. Based solely on enjoyment I've rated it a 6. Much preferred Perfect Blue.
Feb 24, 2019 9:18 AM
Oct 2017
I liked the movies but im really confused a lot !!!
i understood some parts , but Dr Osanai i guess loved Dr Chiba , but why did he join his boss ? and there is a scene were he dies and fall on the ground were we see the boss is with him in the room , was he in a relationship with his boss ? was he gay ?

was he doing that just for Chiba ?

and how the hell the his boss get his head in Osania body while osanai held chiba ?
also when did Himuro disappear ? and how the detective got one of these DC mini ?

the animation are wonderful but the anime is very confusing ....
Mar 18, 2019 2:53 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
God after watching this I listened to the OST for hours. The animation is gorgeous beyond belief. Hell I don’t think most horror anime have made me feel as uncomfortable as the scene of Osanai putting his hand in Paprika to peel back her persona layer. I think the plot could’ve shaped more but overall I think the purpose of this story is the ideas of what dreams are to people. An escape, desire, opportunity, façade, even regrets. But figuring out how to have grounding between reality and dreams to figure out what those personal needs our within us and making them come true of our own fruition. I think this’ll be better upon rewatch and the character builds and outlooks are so refreshing. Nobody could’ve pulled this off other than Satoshi Kon.

It really saddens me that there were references to Dreaming Machine in here. A film we’ll never probably witness, which is painful beyond all circumstances.
Mar 28, 2019 10:07 PM

Jun 2015
i felt so uncomfortable when he put her hand in her skin or something and revealed chiba on the inside. this was a good movie even though i was stupidly confused, but if i were to read a little bit of a summary or explanation i'd get it asap.
Apr 21, 2019 2:41 PM

Nov 2018
Was pretty epic, really liked it. Shame Chiba/Paprika didn't end up with Konikawa but oh well, at least they had a hot kiss. Also, the theme song was rlly cool and rad.
May 14, 2019 8:43 PM

Jul 2016
Terrible and overrated movie. Hated it.
May 14, 2019 8:44 PM

Jul 2016
Susumu's score was the only good thing about the movie.
May 21, 2019 1:18 PM

Jul 2013
Well.... that was a psychedelic experience. Taking it at face value, the movie is already pretty enjoyable at least from the animation alone. I loved the art and the animation is just very stylish especially the bizarre dreams which definitely stand out the most from the movie. The parade is already quite an experience itself and the way the scenes transition from one another is just genius and the accompanying soundtracks are very fitting and haunting which boosted the atmosphere a lot. I must applaud the creativity and work put into this movie. It really felt like I was in a dream. There were even times I struggled a little to distinguish the dreams from reality. Classic Satoshi Kon. I also loved the references from his other works like Perfect Blue which is a masterpiece.

With all that said, the plot itself isn't that mindblowing. I enjoyed the cop's sub-plot more to be honest. I see some people saying Paprika is easier to understand than Perfect Blue but I beg to differ. I understood or at least I was able to grasp Perfect Blue from the first watch. I can't say the same for Paprika. I'll try to give my own analysis on this movie though.

Paprika herself is already a mystery. She's the alter-ego of Chiba who resides in the dream world helping people with their mental issues. She's Chiba's unconscious self and represents her repressed emotions and desires. The movie basically shows how people have their real selves and Paprika is the honest version of Chiba's cold front. I was confused at first because there were sequences where Chiba transforms into Paprika but Paprika seems to have a life of its own independent from Chiba. My explanation for this goes back to the DC Mini. Chiba is the head of development team for the DC Mini so she's the one who's very exposed to the machine and as the movie states, the machine adapts more to the person who's been exposed to it the most even if that person isn't dreaming. I assume dreams and reality are already warped to an extent in Chiba's mind that's why Paprika seems to have a taken a life of its own in her mind.

One of the confusing things in this movie is the characters' motives. Based on how Himuro seems to portray himself as a girl, I assume he's gay who's in love with Osanai who according to Chiba was his "idol." Then again, why though? Why did he steal the DC Mini? What was he hoping to achieve? Did I miss something? Osanai is also a confusing character. I'm not sure if I'm getting his relationship with both Himuro and the chairman right but I think he sold his body to Himuro for the DC Mini based on how horrific he acted when Paprika reminded him of that. The movie also somehow depicts him having some kind of relationship with the chairman. I'm not sure what the chairman sees Osanai as saying that he needs his body for himself. I assumed he was gonna take over Osanai's body but he didn't actually need to in the end when he transformed into that giant thing? I don't understand Osanai's motives? I know he loves Chiba but what did he hope to achieve with his actions though? The chairman was also an underwhelming villain with his ideologies. The ending was a massive disappointment with how things got resolved. I don't understand exactly just what happened.

I don't mind Chiba actually having feelings for Tokita and tying the knot with him since she has repressed her emotions ever since and as Paprika stated, she has become more honest with herself. But like can they actually build up to that moment? She seemed kinda antagonistic towards Tokita and never showed any other emotion that would indicate subtle romantic interest.

Those two bartenders seem to know a lot as well.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm just taking this movie waaaay to seriously or are the minor details to the plot not that relevant and that there's supposed to be a bigger picture I'm not getting?

I like the ideas presented and the movie itself is very unique indeed but I simply just can't overlook its flaws. There are a lot of times I've ignored the flaws in an anime because I didn't think it impacted the show that much but the questions I have for Paprika really keeps me up. Characters + the villain + that ending = 5. The idea and animation saved it from being a 4 in my list.

Dull_LullMay 21, 2019 1:22 PM
May 26, 2019 6:55 AM

Sep 2018
If you don't feel like braying your brain, I strongly advise you not to watch this movie, since the canvas is not suitable for those looking for a feature film to relax, especially on a beautiful sunny and warm day. The plot is solid and interesting, well structured. The narration runs smoothly, figuratively; it is believed to have understood everything and instead we find ourselves suddenly on the high seas, the twists fill the film in full. Technical and graphic quality, sublime, if you think that this film is from 2006, you will realize my words: CG still very valid, meticulous drawings and facial expressions without smudges; animations the best you can expect from a movie, as well as very real backgrounds. The director Satoshi Kon, creates a product that is not simple and intuitive what happened with his other creature, or "Tokyo Godfathers". Also on this occasion, women know how to assert themselves. The soundtrack takes advantage of the excellent work of Susumu Hirasawa, who gives us a nice ending, very rhythmic and that I love so much, I really like "Byakkoya no Musume".

9/10
Terrablu2018May 26, 2019 7:03 AM
Jun 12, 2019 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
why the cinema part is very sad T_T
Sep 12, 2019 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

One of the confusing things in this movie is the characters' motives. Based on how Himuro seems to portray himself as a girl, I assume he's gay who's in love with Osanai who according to Chiba was his "idol." Then again, why though? Why did he steal the DC Mini? What was he hoping to achieve? Did I miss something? Osanai is also a confusing character. I'm not sure if I'm getting his relationship with both Himuro and the chairman right but I think he sold his body to Himuro for the DC Mini based on how horrific he acted when Paprika reminded him of that. The movie also somehow depicts him having some kind of relationship with the chairman. I'm not sure what the chairman sees Osanai as saying that he needs his body for himself. I assumed he was gonna take over Osanai's body but he didn't actually need to in the end when he transformed into that giant thing? I don't understand Osanai's motives? I know he loves Chiba but what did he hope to achieve with his actions though? The chairman was also an underwhelming villain with his ideologies. The ending was a massive disappointment with how things got resolved. I don't understand exactly just what happened.

Okay, I've just finished the movie and am, frankly, confused af. I tried to read through the comments and do some reflection though, and came up with this theory:
Himuro aka the gay guy aka the thief of DC Mini had a crush on Osanai, but Osanai clearly wasn't interested, as he was into Chiba. Yet due to reasons, Osanai agreed to "sell his body" to Himuro in exchange for the theft.
Osanai's "reasons" were, in fact, Chiba. He wanted to do things to her, but she was just out of his reach. However, in the dream world, she was very much within his reach - when he had her tied up on his table, he told her that now, in that room, he could do anything to her. Suddenly, he gained power over her.
He could only trap her in his twisted, dreamt up torture chamber with the chairman's help (due to his own incompetence, lack of resolve, or simply the inability to pull on strings from the backstage). That's why he cooperated with him (helped him steal the DC Mini by seducing the actual thief). I think he also lied to the chairman about his true motive (i. e. Chiba), that's why the chairman was so enraged when he caught Osanai in the act. The chairman probably believed Osanai was his devoted sidekick or something.
As for the chairman's motive... Well, he was crippled and weak in the real world, and in the dreams, he hoped to gain more power (much like Osanai). He believed that he could possess Osanai's healthy body (?) and be no longer disabled; but when Osanai died (?) after being shot by the police officer (who wasn't actually a police officer?), both Osanai and the chairman were sucked in by the black hole and at that moment, it turned out that possessing Osanai was unnecessary after all. The black hole could perhaps be physical death; dying freed the chairman of his handicapped body and allowed him to fully transform into his ideal dream form. That's why he could then be eaten up by Paprika who only ate up "his dream", while real people (such as the policeman) were left unscathed.

Anyways, all other possible explanations are welcome.^^ While I'm satisfied with my own interpretation, I'm by no means sure it's correct.
removed-userSep 12, 2019 4:19 PM
Sep 12, 2019 6:13 PM

Oct 2013
Great visuals, awesome music, fine plot and marvelous atmosphere concentrated on dreaming. Sure, this movie is not perfect and has some flaws, mostly on its plot and characters, but there is something special about "Paprika"...

Is it fantastic and unique atmosphere? Is it maybe interesting look on dreams blending with reality and reality becoming dreams? Or perhaps it is its hidden message that makes you remember this movie even after it finishes? I think all of mentioned things made "Paprika" special.

I loved not only the way in which dreaming and dreams were shown, but contraries and dualism of certain elements as well. Main characters, in example Chiba is reserved, focused on her duties and is careful, while her alter-ego (Paprika) is relaxed, living the moment and helping people with their dreams. And it is not the only example, however writing down all of them would be too time-consuming and this example is the most visible one.

Satoshi Kon, you once again made me enjoy a show about dreams while I'm not a fan of this topic.

It is sad that Satoshi Kon left our world in 2010, but his beautiful works are alive and so is his genius within them.
Sep 13, 2019 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
The animation quality is pretty impressive for its time. They really got me with those dream scenes, really thought they were still in the real world

The most impressive part how everything feels like my mind is stoned

For the story, really felt amazing how everything came into pieces together making once you saw those hidden signals you understand the characters better

Nov 29, 2019 11:39 AM

May 2018
That was a one weird but great movie, it's been a while since I was amazed at something, to be honest this movie's concept was really entertaining since it is about dreams. This really got me confused for an hour because I can't recognized a dream or reality since it keeps changing. Loved Chiba here because of her two personality, as well as Konakawa for the protagonist. This is a good movie that represents dreams, so it is worth it.

Feb 20, 2020 7:39 AM

Jul 2019
This is the standard for a Kon's movie. There are parts where I don't understand however I get most of it. Its not that hard to swallow. Self realization is the strong message here.
Mar 14, 2020 6:50 PM

Mar 2012
Cool movie, was a trippy and fun ride overall. Definitely felt like a crazy dream though it did get a bit out of hand towards the end.

Also a bit random that she apparently loved Tokita lol.
Mar 17, 2020 3:33 PM
Nov 2015
This movie isn't as trippy or complicated as I thought. I blame my sister for her description of it.

The messages gave me that Perfect Blue vibe and the movie theme with Konakawa gave me that Millennium Actress vibe. I see this as a complete combination of both. I can see that Satoshi Kon pondered hard about the theme of reality vs illusion. That alone is worthy of respect, at least for me.

The problem with this movie is the same as Perfect Blue. Way too overemphasized. Way too obvious. Way too blunt. I really don't know why Mr. Kon did this. If he's being more subtle with his deliveries, I would definitely love this much much more. I don't know whether he's being generous towards the audience or if it's just his style.

Is reality just a collection of bad dreams? Or perhaps, bad dreams are only the derivatives of our own perceptions of reality?

So, sharing our "dreams" is basically just sharing our egos with each other?

I love the Atsuko's "growing up" by eating "bad stuff" scene.

Oh, and I really love that guitar scene from Roman Holiday.
finestseeker17Mar 17, 2020 6:41 PM
Mar 27, 2020 7:47 AM

Jul 2013
pometlo said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

Okay, I've just finished the movie and am, frankly, confused af. I tried to read through the comments and do some reflection though, and came up with this theory:
Himuro aka the gay guy aka the thief of DC Mini had a crush on Osanai, but Osanai clearly wasn't interested, as he was into Chiba. Yet due to reasons, Osanai agreed to "sell his body" to Himuro in exchange for the theft.
Osanai's "reasons" were, in fact, Chiba. He wanted to do things to her, but she was just out of his reach. However, in the dream world, she was very much within his reach - when he had her tied up on his table, he told her that now, in that room, he could do anything to her. Suddenly, he gained power over her.
He could only trap her in his twisted, dreamt up torture chamber with the chairman's help (due to his own incompetence, lack of resolve, or simply the inability to pull on strings from the backstage). That's why he cooperated with him (helped him steal the DC Mini by seducing the actual thief). I think he also lied to the chairman about his true motive (i. e. Chiba), that's why the chairman was so enraged when he caught Osanai in the act. The chairman probably believed Osanai was his devoted sidekick or something.
As for the chairman's motive... Well, he was crippled and weak in the real world, and in the dreams, he hoped to gain more power (much like Osanai). He believed that he could possess Osanai's healthy body (?) and be no longer disabled; but when Osanai died (?) after being shot by the police officer (who wasn't actually a police officer?), both Osanai and the chairman were sucked in by the black hole and at that moment, it turned out that possessing Osanai was unnecessary after all. The black hole could perhaps be physical death; dying freed the chairman of his handicapped body and allowed him to fully transform into his ideal dream form. That's why he could then be eaten up by Paprika who only ate up "his dream", while real people (such as the policeman) were left unscathed.

Anyways, all other possible explanations are welcome.^^ While I'm satisfied with my own interpretation, I'm by no means sure it's correct.

Good interpretation. I rewatched this movie a while ago and come to appreciate it more.
Mar 30, 2020 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
Watching this while drunk is the best thing you can do to get this movie's full trippy effect. I liked it
Apr 1, 2020 12:32 AM

Aug 2012
The main things saving this from being a 7 are the OST and Konakawa. I'm so glad the latter was included into the film because I'm not sure how much this would've worked for me without him, the main plot isn't that interesting. The Dream premise is great, but the antagonists couldn't have been any less interesting, and I didn't really care for most of the cast outside of Chiba/Paprika herself (though I actually really liked the repeat scene in the dream with Chiba and Tokita that serves as her confession). Not that the movie wasn't filled with great trippy visuals, it certainly was, and it was nice to see where several of those PurpleEyes clips came from (I always figured the scene where all the business men jump off a building came from Paranoia Agent for some reason) but if they're not connected to something I'm invested in, and doesn't do a whole lot for me.

This is probably coming across a lot more negative than I actually feel, especially since Konakawa is in the movie and I do think his character stuff is strong and I loved his role in the movie (him finishing his dream was pretty funny). The film outside of him is still a fun time anyway, just nothing I got really invested in but still supported strong visuals and a solid plot layout. 8/10 overall for me. Having gone through all four of Satoshi Kon's movies this month, ending with Paprika, I would have to say Paprika is his weakest but when it comes to movies, Kon is my favourite name now. Seeing all his films at the end there was a great touch, and heartbreaking to come here and read about Dreaming Machine. Looking into it, and I hope one day it's able to be finished though that seems like a pipe dream. Going through all his films this month have been the saving grace of March.
Sep 12, 2020 1:27 PM

Sep 2020
I really enjoyed watching this! It super trippy but it always feels lighthearted somehow. I like that about it. The middle got a little boring, but the end was very interesting.
Sep 29, 2020 2:49 PM

Oct 2013
INCEPTION WAS BETTER

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 4, 2020 4:14 PM

Aug 2017
what a piece of art
Dec 20, 2020 10:33 PM

Aug 2018
Interesting, but needs interpretation to get over the wtf did I just watch.

I did like Paprika quite a bit though.
Jan 9, 2021 11:38 PM

May 2020
Nice movie, I have no idea wtf happened but it was enjoyable. Paprika has an awesome voice too

I also like how there were other references to the other movies the author made lol
Feb 12, 2021 8:57 AM

Feb 2020
I finally completed watching all 4 film by satoshi kon
Paprika is obliviously the best film out of the 4 film made by satoshi kon. (unfortunately because MAL people lack sense of taste its rated the lowest of the 4 films)
Reason - this one has way better character design and animation compared to other 3 films, the creative overlapping scenery style far more suits this film story than other, its most potential storyline out of the four.
I really enjoyed it the most
It high 8 for me (just needed a bit more at the ending like what happened to real life chairman and Osanai etc)

Satoshi kon films in order of liking
Paprika>Millennium actress=Perfect blue> Tokyo Godfathers

Only Paranoia Agent tv series left. lets see how that goes
AdampkFeb 12, 2021 9:20 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 27, 2021 11:35 PM
Dec 2018
Its was an interesting movie
8/10
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» So, who killed the victim in that homicide case?

Samu-tan - Aug 27, 2010

9 by Beatnik »»
Jan 1, 9:00 AM

» For what reasons do you like this movie?

Unknow0059 - Apr 16, 2017

10 by nekogaro7 »»
Oct 17, 2023 7:29 AM

» What's the movie Konakawa watch at the end of the movie ?

Tsunamii_ - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:14 AM

» questions about paprika [spoilers]

darrenkbenn - Sep 14, 2021

3 by JeremiahOrange »»
Sep 14, 2021 11:19 PM

» What the hell did I just watch?

RandomPerson4 - Dec 30, 2012

25 by tabernac »»
Feb 28, 2021 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.