Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Dec 15, 2013 2:31 AM

Jul 2013
Watch this on Toonami, and it was a pretty good movie overall. The characters were enjoyable especially the families, the animation and art were fluid, the story was engaging, and some good action scenes. Though I would expect more action scenes and some romance development for Natsuki and Kenji. Also the ending was good though it felt a bit off about the kissing scene and there victory.

9/10 great movie overall.

Dec 15, 2013 2:51 AM

Jun 2009
Saw this on Toonami. I was told for the past two months to watch this but ignored it. I'm so glad Toonami aired this. The plot was great the fluidity was smooth so was the transactions. Though it had a large amount of characters, the movie was enjoyable and none were cast out to the background. I often found myself yelling at the screen.

That German kid!! T_T That was such a beautiful moment.

9.2/10 Would watch again and buy.
Dec 15, 2013 2:58 AM

Sep 2012
damn!!!! what a masterpiece <3
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Jan 11, 2014 3:57 PM

Nov 2013
Meh.

Seriously meh.

The whole Oz thing looks so much like some childish nonsense crap universe. And the acting was terribad.

"Oh my god a nuclear power plant is gonna explode and the whole world is gonna die (wtf lol humanity died with tchernobyl then???) because I'm watching my nephew fighting a big monster on his computer and no one really understand what is this shit but I won't be able to watch my favorite TV show"

The ending reminded me of something a great great man said once :
- Hey boss. The audience is beginning to think about the inconsistent plot!
- What are you waiting for? THROW MORE SPARKLE AND EXPLOSIONS !

Plus it lacked ponys.
Jan 18, 2014 10:54 PM

May 2012
it was ok.. i just dont like the oz part..
i like all the family theme, its really nice to have a big family like that..

Jan 21, 2014 8:10 PM

Mar 2013
I feel like lately I've become one of those scrooges that feels like every single anime I watch is contrived and forced; these are the exact same people I've always hated because they would just complain about everything.

While watching this movie, I couldn't help but feeling the the characters were shallow and the plot was predictable/ laughable...

But fuck all that, this movie is damned awesome. Those previous mentioned facets might have been screwed up, but this movie delivers where it matters most, enjoyment. I loved Summer Wars and would definitely watch it again/ be hyped about any follow up material.

8.5/10
Jan 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Jul 2012
Great film with some good stuff about family and mutual trust, liked that.
Feb 6, 2014 2:19 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Prefer Wolf Children, but this movie was great. 9/10 KOI KOI!

Feb 15, 2014 8:29 PM

Dec 2013
Dark_Messiah said:
it was ok.. i just dont like the oz part..
i like all the family theme, its really nice to have a big family like that..

same, i felt like the whole oz thing was kind of lame
Mar 18, 2014 7:52 AM

Jun 2011
I just adore this movie. ^__^ So many years have passed and its still on my Top 5. Not to mention, the fact that it was directed from the same dude that directed Digimon Adventures. That only makes me love it more!
Hope that Hosoda Mamoru will keep up the good work with his future films (which he did, actually, directing Wolf Children). :D
LuckyAlixMar 18, 2014 7:58 AM
Mar 19, 2014 4:23 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Loved this movie, though I enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Throught Time, I was expecting much of this one. By now it surpassed the previous easily, it felt more heartwarming and includes so many more meaning against its predecessor. I REALLY enjoyed this one, far more than I think I would, movies like these make me still believe on creativity of human minds, and the power of story telling in media.
Mar 24, 2014 2:22 PM
Feb 2012
Who would've guessed that the grandmother would end up as my favourite character? Awesome woman and a very enjoyable movie. 8/10 in my book
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 29, 2014 10:41 PM
Oct 2013
Just watched this, great movie. Loved the whole family theme, wish their was more stuff like this.
Apr 12, 2014 1:29 PM

Apr 2013
I enjoyed it pretty much.
8/10
Apr 20, 2014 3:45 PM

Aug 2013
i really thought there was going to be a newer note in the letter about the boy...

for a maths genius, he was a likeable protagonist (which doesn't happen in male leads all that often in anime).

i still loved when he got arrested the first thing he wanted to do was thank granny for letting him enjoy what a family meant, as he never had that before...

great movie, kiss could have been better ;) but at least it was a good feeling ending even during a funeral (you can't say that often)

There is a small additional bit just as the last names roll of the credits where they're both standing holding hands looking out from the house....

come on people... "awwww" come on... awwwwwiiez
deplorableApr 20, 2014 4:18 PM
Apr 22, 2014 6:34 PM

May 2013
I love this movie!
Jun 8, 2014 11:27 PM

Oct 2013
amaze. that granny one of the best characters. natsuki pretty cute too
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 14, 2014 2:50 AM
Nov 2010
Pretty decent film, I am glad that there was no kiss.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jun 16, 2014 12:29 PM
Aug 2013
I loved everything about this movie.
Jun 27, 2014 8:26 PM

Jan 2014
That was a pretty good film but I was sort of expecting more. A better ending perhaps?

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Jun 29, 2014 1:52 AM

Apr 2013
neontaster said:
Krunchy said:
typical answer of fanboys

It's 1st anime I rate lower than 5 - (3/10) I dont belive it's 80 in ranking... I just saw everything I hate to see.

Fanboy? He compared it to fucking Digimon. This is a movie about family, about the contrast between old and new society, about courage. It's not fucking pokemon, and considering your favorite anime, I would have thought you'd know better...

You do know the whole plot structure of this movie is almost exactly copied the same with the "fucking pokemon" movie you're criticizing right? what's wrong with comparing things that are obviously similar? typical stupid fanboy indeed.
And FYI, Digimon is largely about family as well. The differencee is that it's not as forced and in-your-face as in this one :)

Also getting "the point" of a movie does not neccessarly make you think much better of it.You can perfectly recognize all the themes in something, but still don't think they're excuted very nicely.
Jun 29, 2014 11:08 PM

Sep 2013
Wow! this was a great movie. I was literally shaking when the satellite was crashing while the mc tries to decrypt the code. Nerve-racking. The final scene nosebleed was funny haha.

8/10 for me.
AsianKungFuJun 29, 2014 11:12 PM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 11, 2014 9:20 AM

Jan 2013
This was an amazing film.
I got into this film not knowing what to expect ... but I absolutely loved it.
Jul 12, 2014 11:43 PM

Jun 2014
I will say one thing, and one thing only. I cried. 3 times. I cried...and squeaked.
I didn't even cry at the death of my own uncle.

If thats not testament to how powerful this movie was. I don't know what is.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Aug 7, 2014 11:00 PM

Jan 2013
This was so cheesy
Aug 15, 2014 4:49 PM

Jun 2013
It was an interesting movie but not the best. The thing about the family bonds and the whole sci-fi element was good. I don't know why people r so emotional about it as if it were a tragic or sad movie. The main character was definitely lame and dumb(being used by a girl and still playing along) for sure with the exception on math. Other characters were cool and interesting like Kazuma. Mediocre romance in the end made me LOL. 7/10
Aug 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Dec 2012
I loved the art style and animation. Very enjoyable movie. I had low expectations from watching the trailers but it was better.
Dec 7, 2014 12:26 AM

Feb 2013
This was great!! Good animation, good story, and Yay!!!! They end up together :)

8/10
Dec 19, 2014 9:41 AM

Apr 2009
Awesome! as expected from MADHOUSE. Koi Koi~!!
9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2015 2:24 AM

Dec 2014
Ending was THE best, ever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2015 12:04 AM
Feb 2014
A AI that consumed over 500 million accounts worth of knowledge lost to two high schoolers. Well than.....
Jan 17, 2015 10:05 AM

Jan 2015
I feel like I'm in a minority when I think the movie wasn't engaging at all. First and foremost by watering the main cast into a 20-something family you really lose sight of what makes each individual character complex. People praise the "two worlds collide" concept like it makes the best of both, but I feel it made two mediocre settings. Likewise I felt the "virtual world" was handled pretty poorly (maybe it's similar to digimon? I guess that's why people like it?) Where they might establish some rules here to make the plot more confined, but ignore rules elsewhere to make it more dramatic.

This movie fails on many levels. For the most part it fails at the number of conveniences for the plot to work.

Kenji being a math wizard being able to crack code? Check.
Kenji being able to crack the code that only 50 or some odd people around the world could only crack? Check.
Kazuma being an excellent online martial arts fighter? Check
Shota being a police officer and the only one to arrest Kenji. Check.
Shota letting Kenji go back to the house, when any other officer would have waited to get back to the police station? Check.
Kenji being picked instead of his buddy to be the pretend fiance of Natsuki? Check.
Wabisuke being the one who created Love Machine? Check.
Granny dying the day after Wabisuke left the family, after his clash with Granny? Check.
Kazuma being distracted by the children and then lets Love Machine absorb other accounts to defeat him? Check.
Family has access to a supercomputer? Check
Family has access to military equipment? Check.
Family has access to massive amounts of energy to power up said supercomputer? Check.
Family has access large blocks of ice that was large enough to cool down a supercomputer? Check.
The moment they trap Love Machine Shota takes ice blocks away from supercomputer, letting Love Machine get away? Check.
Wabisuke made it in time through traffic and god knows how long the distance, right in time to have a meal with the family? Check.
The firefighter had a firefighter avatar? Check.
The firefighter and other family members were able to get water......because plot? Check.
You can repair other avatars with virtual bandages? Check.
Millions of users at the nick of time allowed Natsuki to continue the game? Check.
Natsuki was able to get the right cards to win the last hand? Check.
Kenji solved the last code in the nick of time? Check.
In the span of time the satellite was in the air, the few degree shift was enough to not land on the house? Check.
The massive collision to the ground didn't destroy the house and the people in it? Check.
The tv still worked after a satellite crashed into the ground meters away? Check.

You really have to suspend a lot of logic and just say "okay" when things fall in to place like this. The number of plot conveniences are even more than this but hey I will stop there and call it a day.

Now what are the other problems with the shows?

It fails as a romance story because the whole plotline is trite and forced. The lovebirds-to-be are complete anime-stereotypes (nerdy nice guy and cheerful nice girl) who lack any kind of believable chemistry. Initially the whole thing just feels like a plot-device to set the plot in motion. Then the middle act all but drops it. Finally, the end of the film also concludes the love story in the cheesiest way imaginable. That wouldn’t have been so bad in and of itself but it doesn’t feel believable. The 2 characters in question aren’t shown growing towards one another and learning to understand each other better. They just love each other when the plot needs them to.

It fails as a family drama because an overwhelming majority of the characters is painfully one-dimensional. They’re just caricatures who stand in the background and occasionally showcase their one personality quirk. The few who don’t fall victim to this aren’t particularly interesting either, and are often no more than devices to shove the aforementioned crappy love-story in certain directions. The only somewhat interesting element in this plot-thread is a subplot dealing with a bastard-child who was branded an outcast of the family; but this thread is ultimately resolved in a sentimental manner.

It fails as an action-packed blockbuster because most of the fights aren’t very interesting. The idea of having avatars do battle against a computer virus within Oz allowed for the makers to go crazy, and there are 2 or 3 spots where some creativity is showcased in regards to having fighters transform the arena to better suit their purposed. But as it goes on any semblance of choreography or creativity is thrown out of the window in favor or giant punches fuelled by the power of love and friendship. It’s sad that the best choreographed fight is a short demonstration early on in the film. Summer Wars sadly fails to avoid the usual anime-cliché where fights get less creative when the power-levels are increased.

Didn't necessarily hate the movie but I wasn't in love with it. Too many issues with the plot conveniences, wasn't really good at anything, visuals was good for Oz but terrible for the actual human characters and overall felt it was rushed at the end.

6/10
EylandosJan 17, 2015 10:26 AM
Feb 12, 2015 12:58 AM

Feb 2014
I recently watched Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, and this just doesn't even compare.

Just a few of the problems I had with Summer Wars:

The main character basically dropped off the radar for like half an hour towards the end there and was reduced to a "come on, you can do it" cheerleader type character.

Even though he was one of the more likeable characters, there was no reason at all for Kazuma to be a character at all. The main guy is supposed to be a nerd - he could fill that role and be the fighting champion or whatever.

The romance was thrown out the window while Natsuki was thirsty for some uncle D. That in particular was completely unnecessary. There was basically no development in her relationship with Kenji at all, and then it's "Oh, I like you" at the end.

The virtual world and the fighting - discount Digimon.
Feb 25, 2015 12:50 AM
Sep 2013
I refuse to believe that ballistic didn't kill anybody, it looked like it reared off into the giant city below their temple/castle house thing.

Ending was incredibly predictable and i guess the romance was pretty cheesy. Loved the animation when they were inside of OZ though.

Also agree with above, the whole uncle part was kinda weird..

7/10
bbrianFeb 25, 2015 1:04 AM
Feb 26, 2015 6:51 PM

Jun 2014
lol wat. they "borrowed" a super computer, docked a yacht equipped with a power plant in a koi pond, and "borrowed" an equipped truck from a secret division of the national guard..

also liked the scene with the whole family gathered around with their cell phones and DSs.
Mar 14, 2015 7:58 PM

May 2012
Just re watched it after 2 years and it still feel great. One of the few best anime movies I've watched!!
Mar 15, 2015 11:07 AM

Jul 2014
That's some next level nosebleed lol. That was a pretty good movie, the art and animations were pretty nice. At first I thought it'd be based entirely on the world of Oz which would've been cool but I guess that concept's been done many times already.

It was also pretty weird to see Natsuki head over heels for her uncle. Ewww.
Mar 21, 2015 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
This would have been better if it... made any sense at all.

The entire family freaked out when they found out Wabisuke made the AI. It was obviously a big deal to them.

Then when they bring in the super computer, that guy takes the ice needed to keep it cool (which doesn't make any sense anyway, but thats besides the point) away because he didn't think "a game" was important (even though they were specifically trying to defeat the AI).

............uh

um....

I don't even...

And then in the grandma's will or whatever, she specifically (and only) mentions Wabisuke, telling everybody to accept him and care for him and blah blah blah because family.

Except... she literally tried to murder him with a fucking spear.

Like... just....

Other things:

Thinking about math doesn't give you nosebleeds.
LOL at him practicing real martial arts, so that he can perform martial arts on the computer...(by typing)
Why did the AI suddenly want to destroy the world again?
LOL at random people on a fucking mountain farm on their phones giving their avatars to Natsuki..
I thought it was going to be like virtual reality. Not like.. Facebook or something.
LOL at Japan and incest...
Why did granny assume that Natsuki wanted to be with Kenji when she asked him to take care of her?
Furthermore, why is it assumed that Kenji wants Natsuki?
Why did Natsuki ask Kenji and his friend to go with her? Was she already friends with them? If she was, why did they act so shy and awkward around each other? Why did he refer to her as "senpai"? Why did his friend call her "the school idol" over the phone instead of like, her actual name? It's implied that they never had any preveious relationship, so I'm confused why she went specifically to them for help.
Why couldn't they just fire something at the satellite to knock it off course/destroy it? Not too far fetched seeing the ridiculous resources they were able to muster in a short time.

Whatever, at least it was sort of cool to look at.

5/10
Red_KeysMar 21, 2015 9:26 PM
Apr 12, 2015 3:01 PM

Jan 2014
moral of the story: fuck the US

Apr 14, 2015 5:06 PM

Dec 2013
Retarded movie and it's rated so fuckin high. People buying into it just because it's Madhouse..pls. I'm a big fan of Madhouse but I can tell it's shit. They proved once again that they shouldn't try doing movies and just stick to the TV series.
The story was so stupid and the 'serious' moments couldn't be taken seriously by me. But the thing is it's not even funny while one of the only 2 tags is comedy. Lack of any development in the characters and no memorable OST make it even worse.
AizixApr 14, 2015 5:27 PM
Apr 27, 2015 5:21 AM
May 2009
I learnt Hanafuda because of this film.
If anything it would help promote the Japanese Card game. (Though I completely forgot to buy a set of hanafuda cards when I was in Japan.)
May 17, 2015 5:48 AM

Feb 2015
Okay, just watched it.
Man this movie sure was something too look at, really did enjoy the music for the OZ world, plus the action scenes were awesome to watch.

I wasn't big on the Romance side, I mean Natsuki had eyes for her uncle (Really Japan) then at the end she says now that she likes kenji? Also why did she ask him, did then know each other before hand?

Still enjoyed it alot, kinda weird about the incest but still worth a watch
May 27, 2015 9:24 PM

Mar 2015
I just finished this movie, and oh my god this was one of the best things I've seen in a while! The animation, story, music, everything was great! I know it took the plot from Digimon Our War Game basically, but it made it so much better! And this is coming from a diehard Digimon fanboy!

Although, one thing is still bothering me. Why the hell would the U.S. military decide it would be a good idea to test out their new AI by having it hack into something that basically controls the whole world?! There's no way they wouldn't have foreseen these consequences! Do the directors just have something against the U.S.? :P

Also, that ending with Grandma's picture suddenly smiling was terrifying! Who thought that was a cute idea?! It scared the crap out of me!
Jul 9, 2015 7:10 AM

Dec 2013
Cliche, cheesy and at times pretty retarded. Stupid how the fate of the world was depended on the family while the rest of the world just sat on their ass. but overall very enjoyable movie. Seeing that close knit family was pretty heart warming. Respect to the grandmother. She died too soon :(

The MC pissed me off in that final scene. I didn't really like him much overall. I've always found that type of character annoying to begin with.

Damn that card game was random as hell! Had no idea what was happening but it still felt surprisingly intense. Not sure why.

The animation was nice. Really reminded me of the digimon movie.

Overall 7/10
Jul 12, 2015 11:39 PM
Apr 2015
I just finished this movie. I LOVED some of the virtual reality stuff, especially the cool fight scenes. I really enjoyed that. But I just couldn't turn my brain off for that scene when everyone gave their avatar to her so she could continue to bet in that game. None of those people knew her, all they knew was that she had just lost a game; why would they have HER be the one to use their avatars and try to win? Why wouldn't one of them try? Having that one boy give her his avatar to complete the 75 she needed would have been fine, but I really don't think all of those people would have risked their entire world on this one girl they didn't know, who just lost a game.

Also, the characters were incredibly cliche! It's not that they weren't likeable, it's just that I'd seen them all before. And there was no reason for the two main characters to get together at the end. What, she played a good game and he was good at math? What exactly did they like about each other?
Aug 13, 2015 5:04 AM

Oct 2012
it took me 1 hour and 5 minutes to realize that kenji is voiced by ryunosuke kamiki, I didn't know dude does voice acting and I'm ashamed of myself.

Oct 16, 2015 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
Much bs but okay.
Nov 9, 2015 1:06 PM

Dec 2014
I am glad to be a part of all peoples who have watched this movie and loved every aspect of it.

so, I had to post a comment here...

Nov 17, 2015 7:40 AM

Oct 2013
It was pretty fortunate that Kenji didn't lose the rock-scissors-paper game :))
Dec 9, 2015 12:47 PM

Nov 2011
Didn't know what to expect with this and at the end of the day i am pleasantly surprised, mixed up so many aspects but got each spot on, especially the family values.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM

» Is Summer Wars Any Good?

Atomsk_ - May 1, 2014

31 by Monarch9 »»
Mar 8, 2020 8:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.