Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 15, 2014 12:18 PM

Nov 2008
SolBlade said:
MotRin said:
yhunata said:

Yeah, I usually ignore them. Sometimes, I do feel like taking the bait, though.

I like it when people take my bait and get butthurt.

You must be a master baiter.

You... Hentai!!
Apr 15, 2014 12:21 PM

Dec 2013
MotRin said:
SolBlade said:

You must be a master baiter.

You... Hentai!!

I think you're the perv here. What if he was serious about you being a master baiter?
Apr 15, 2014 12:22 PM

Mar 2014
MotRin said:
yhunata said:

Yep. When they know that a person is following their definition of judging an anime without watching it, yet act extremely butthurt. Even though they know it.

Let's summon more of these pleasing people to badmouth the worst shows in anime, KLK included, shall we?
Apr 15, 2014 12:44 PM

Jan 2011
LOGH is old so it must be shit
Apr 15, 2014 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
silversaint said:
LOGH has higher rating than my favorite animu, it's shit
Apr 15, 2014 1:01 PM

Jul 2011
jayss said:
silversaint said:
LOGH has higher rating than my favorite animu, it's shit

But you have Yang in your favs natssuu, why you say that?
Apr 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Sep 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:
you can usually tell how much a show will suck just by reading the description and looking at genres/cover.

examples from this very season: "gochuumon wa usagi desu ka" and "seikoku no dragonar"

nobody needs to see these shows to know how good they are. It's just the usual moe/magical school ecchi bs all over again.
anime doesen't really hide to what kind of people it wants to appeal to. That's just how the anime medium works...even more so than other storytelling ones
Hey, Seikoku no dragonar actually isn't all that bad assuming you know what you were getting into in the first place.

That "dragon" is cute as fucking shit.

OT: Those people who do it a lot are usually just hella ignorant unless they are referring to currently airing seasonal anime.

If you are a seasonal anime watcher, you have to judge each anime based off first impressions to better understand what kind of shows you want to get into each season, so it's more understandable when they do that.
KorrvoApr 15, 2014 1:25 PM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 15, 2014 5:40 PM

Jun 2007
Ckan said:
Zalis said:
I have a term for them: "Crystal Ball Critics." And I trust them just as much as your average fortuneteller.

Term also applies to people who try to be authoritative after seeing some laughably small percentage like 1/26 episodes or 10 minutes of 1 episode.
But it brings up an interesting question. How big a percentage is 'enough'?

If we say that it depends on the series, that doesn't that mean that some shows could require only an episode, or less, of a viewing?
If it's a 2-3 episode OVA, then yeah, 1 episode could be enough. This is imo of course, but 25% is reasonable enough. It gives enough time to get introductions of the characters and the world out of the way, and for the main story or first major arc to get underway. If a given series "gets better" than its initial "book-cover" premise suggests, it's likely to happen within that time frame.

Now yes, obviously super-long runners do throw things out of whack. I don't expect people to watch 160 episodes of One Piece, but I try to go with around 20-30 episodes. I gave Naruto that much, and I at least found it worth watching through the end of the canon content in the 2002 series and into some of the filler. But for the average 13-26 episode series that populate most of each seasonal lineup, 3-7 episodes works well enough.

Of course, if people decide that a show isn't for them and want to drop it early, they're welcome to their opinions and whatever ratings they want to enter into their own lists. Just don't go trying to represent your opinions on how "horrendous" or "awful" a show is with some kind of critical authority, as if you know as much or more than someone who's seen the whole thing. That, is Crystal Ball Criticism at its worst.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 15, 2014 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
yhunata said:

It's fun to watch people talk about a show when they have no clue as to what said show is about. Can say a lot about some people in my opinion. Like I said, it's free entertainment.
Apr 15, 2014 7:01 PM

Jan 2013
I honestly think it's annoying. Some judge it by the summary, reviews, and pictures, but you don't know the show or anything well enough to judge it without seeing it. At least they should give it a try, before making assumptions. They could also just keep it to themselves.
Apr 15, 2014 7:04 PM

Nov 2013
I feel like if one hasn't seen the show, then they really have no right to praise or complain about it. I get pissed off at people who do that a lot more than I think I should. Not just complaining, but praising too.
Apr 15, 2014 7:21 PM
Dec 2013
I like to say bad things about a person who I never met before.
Apr 15, 2014 9:01 PM

Mar 2014
Zalis said:
If it's a 2-3 episode OVA, then yeah, 1 episode could be enough. This is imo of course, but 25% is reasonable enough. It gives enough time to get introductions of the characters and the world out of the way, and for the main story or first major arc to get underway. If a given series "gets better" than its initial "book-cover" premise suggests, it's likely to happen within that time frame.

Now yes, obviously super-long runners do throw things out of whack. I don't expect people to watch 160 episodes of One Piece, but I try to go with around 20-30 episodes. I gave Naruto that much, and I at least found it worth watching through the end of the canon content in the 2002 series and into some of the filler. But for the average 13-26 episode series that populate most of each seasonal lineup, 3-7 episodes works well enough.

Of course, if people decide that a show isn't for them and want to drop it early, they're welcome to their opinions and whatever ratings they want to enter into their own lists. Just don't go trying to represent your opinions on how "horrendous" or "awful" a show is with some kind of critical authority, as if you know as much or more than someone who's seen the whole thing. That, is Crystal Ball Criticism at its worst.

In other words, if Naruto proves itself to be bad via episode 6, then torture yourself up to episode 30 so you can have an accepted opinion kid.

Its a good thing I give no damn to how much they watched of a series. Plus who could tell a currently running super long show from a currently running shortie anyways? Nobody's going to give Naruto a chance by 30 episodes, if Naruto fails to please them by episode 6 then it will be, and don't tell me it gets better.

People, give no damn to people who want you to watch 30 episodes of a a long anime just to have your opinion accepted. Post your opinion as soon as you find out its bad. Nobody will stick 30 episodes till the thing becomes better, anything which improves after all that a time has failed its task of being entertaining.
Apr 16, 2014 2:52 AM

Jan 2013
I have seen the first episode of "Kenzen Robo Daimidaler" and consider it to be utter crap. Do I really need to watch more of that to validate my opinion?

That would be just stupid right? I think it's a mindless show aimed at teenagers who wanna see some boobies. If you are that kind of person fine. But since anime really isn't a medium that hides what it wants to do, I really don't need to watch further to know that I'll hate it.

Feel free to pm me if Kenzen Robo suddenly turns into 2deep4you :D
Apr 16, 2014 3:04 AM

Jul 2013
There really isn't anything wrong with complaining about shows you haven't seen. Bashing a show for something without having actually seen it however is annoying. I mean, you can complain about a show's art without having actually seen the show, but bashing it for having a horrible story without ever having seen it... don't hate on what you don't know I guess.

... opinions are allowed so you can go on and have a nice day now :P
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014 3:08 AM

Aug 2013
Complaining about shit you know nothing about is the epitome of hoodlumery.
Apr 16, 2014 3:29 AM

Jan 2014
Moog- said:

So these were the "hoodlums lurking in the shadows" you were referring to...hah.
Apr 16, 2014 4:39 AM

Mar 2014
TheNaturalPerm said:
I have seen the first episode of "Kenzen Robo Daimidaler" and consider it to be utter crap. Do I really need to watch more of that to validate my opinion?

That would be just stupid right? I think it's a mindless show aimed at teenagers who wanna see some boobies. If you are that kind of person fine. But since anime really isn't a medium that hides what it wants to do, I really don't need to watch further to know that I'll hate it.

Yes! That's the point.

If at one point a show yells out that its terrible, even if through its description itself, no need to torture yourself to validate your opinion. Your opinion will stay the same of the show either way.

I shouldn't be obligated to spend hours in my life just to make a negative opinion of a show validated.

Oh, and those who are saying its ignorant; ignorance is bliss!
Apr 16, 2014 4:40 AM

Aug 2013
Yhuuro said:
Moog- said:

So these were the "hoodlums lurking in the shadows" you were referring to...hah.

Some of them, at least. There are many a' hoodlums lurking in the shadows, some more troublesome than others.
Apr 16, 2014 5:33 AM
Feb 2014
MotRin said:
yhunata said:

How come my bait is so obvious and people still bite it?

I must be successful at reeling in marlins.
Apr 16, 2014 5:52 AM
Apr 2014
Awwwww yeah man. This right here is my prerogative. Talking smack about stuff I know nothing about. I must be the next Obama. It's awesome when people do that. ROCK ON!!
Hai forces
Apr 16, 2014 5:55 AM

Mar 2014
GloriousKaiser said:
Awwwww yeah man. This right here is my prerogative. Talking smack about stuff I know nothing about. I must be the next Obama. It's awesome when people do that. ROCK ON!!

Are you making fun of these people? They're seriously awesome.
Apr 16, 2014 6:04 AM
Apr 2014
Lord_Pooka said:
GloriousKaiser said:

No i'm just making fun of myself because I found myself doing that a lot and feeling like I was the shit but in reality I was just a plain old poop.
Hai forces
Apr 16, 2014 6:11 AM

Mar 2014
GloriousKaiser said:
Lord_Pooka said:
GloriousKaiser said:

No i'm just making fun of myself because I found myself doing that a lot and feeling like I was the shit but in reality I was just a plain old poop.

Nope, don't feel like that! You're better than those who waste 30 episodes of lifetime just to have their opinion of "Naruto is bad!" which they probably made by 6 episode (and hasn't changed) be validated. You're also better than those who watch terrible anime with terrible beginnings and call it AOTY.
Apr 16, 2014 6:27 AM
Feb 2014
Naruto is better than Evangelion and LOGH combined. Think about what I just said and then tell me what that means.
Apr 16, 2014 7:27 AM

Apr 2011
No Pooka, you don't get it. You can drop it at episode 1 if you want. Look at me, multiple anime dropped at episode 1. Hell, I've dropped stuff 3 minutes into the first episode. But if you wanna hate and bash on it, then you better know what the fuck you're talking about. And you're not gonna know what the fuck you're talking about, if you haven't actually seen this anime that you wanna bash. I don't go around hating and bashing on Monster and Haruhi even though I couldn't bare watch more than 1-3 episodes of either (1/2 in the case of Haruhi, since I slept through half the episode), because I don't know shit about it. But I do go around bashing Fairy Tail (whenever the time calls for it), because I do know what the fuck happens in it.

tl;dr : Drop it, hate it, rape it at the first episode if you want to. Just keep shut about it, unless you actually know what the fuck you're talking about.

inb4 repeated argument that you can't back at all
Apr 16, 2014 8:37 AM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Yes! That's the point.

If at one point a show yells out that its terrible, even if through its description itself, no need to torture yourself to validate your opinion. Your opinion will stay the same of the show either way.

I shouldn't be obligated to spend hours in my life just to make a negative opinion of a show validated.

Oh, and those who are saying its ignorant; ignorance is bliss!

If a certain anime doesn't resonate well with you, drop it whenever you want. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't judge an entire series on the very little that you've seen. You can say what you want on what you have seen, just not everything since you don't know what is coming next, which is exactly where the "Crystal Ball Critic" concept brought up by Zalis comes to play. You're opinion on a show can change over time, it is fairly closed-minded to say that you're opinion on something won't change over time as it's possible that it could. You can hate something that you initially thought was great and vice versa. For instance, certain shows have a great start and can decline over time, whereas others start off terribly and improve from there. Most of my favorite anime fall under the latter category, though it's different for everyone (as some require patience, which doesn't always work) as your perceptions of good and bad when it comes to entertainment is up to you.
tl;dr: Don't base your opinions on an entire series from the little you've seen. You can say whatever you want on what you have seen but not on the things that you haven't. Go in with an open mind and hopefully you'll find something to your liking. This applies to all sorts of entertainment mediums. Those are just my two cents, feel free to disagree.
SolosApr 16, 2014 8:43 AM

Apr 16, 2014 8:39 AM
Oct 2013
Indeed. There is nothing wrong with dropping early if you don't like it, it's much better than forcing yourself to keep watching. But can you do yourself a favour and shut up? Otherwise you will make a fool of yourself.

It's like you listen to a five minute song, you stop listening after three seconds. Yes you have some impression about the music but do you consider yourself capable to make a judgment for the whole song? lel It's barely started, the singer has yet to open his mouth. If you think your tiny experience is enough to form an opinion, go on. Blabbering all you want since you have the right to speak your mind, but in the end you look like a frog in a well.
Apr 16, 2014 8:40 AM

Nov 2010
They can complain about it after seeing the cover art but I won't take them seriously unless they've watched enough depending on what they're talking about. They're really stuck, because all someone has to say is it happens after the stopped.
Apr 16, 2014 9:02 AM

Feb 2010
Nothing wrong with complaining about a genre or something similar using the example of one title obviously belonging in there even if you haven't seen it. I hate OreImo because it seems to have increased the amount of imouto fanservice in anime by tenfold since it aired and I just hate it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 16, 2014 9:05 AM

Apr 2009
if the original creator isn't that good, most probably anime will be bad. You dont even need to watch.

I enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist, and when Gin no Saji came from the same creator I enjoyed that too. Although it was totally different genre.

On the other hand if original creator is master of excrement,the anime will be moving feces. I have watched enough anime to get that. 90% of time I'm right.

On the other hand Rurouni Kenshin was good because of its great characters, but busou renkin was bad, both from the same mangaka.
Apr 16, 2014 11:47 AM

Mar 2014
Nobody cares about the few of you who seem to have a problem with guess what, judging something by its cover. None will shut up just because "you've saw little!"

And it does work. If Naruto fails to be a good fight anime within even 10 minutes, then will it be even better later, if all what its about is fighting and fillers? No.

There's nothing wrong with that kind of criticism and I won't go by the name you purposed. If something was bad, that thing loses all of its value. Its not even worthy to get more of it just because "it gets better!" Because no, it doesn't. I may believe in something being good then drop to bad, but a bad anime rising from its ashes to the thrones? And all what its about is the same boring battle genre anime used to death? I don't get why people complain about moes but don't complain about terrible battle anime and instead praise it.
Apr 16, 2014 12:00 PM

Apr 2011
............... why are you so predictable?
Apr 16, 2014 12:06 PM

Jun 2011
The point is that you wouldn't know about what's to come since you have barely seen anything and are basing your opinion on what you think it's about rather than what's actually there. And yes, it's possible for an anime with a poor start to improve itself, it happens quite often from my experience. You're statement about anime with a poor start as not being able to improve is really closed-minded. This applies to anime of of all types, regardless of genre/demographic. For instance, I thought Steins;Gate had a crappy start and I dropped it (this was back when it was airing). Did I deem the entire anime to be shit at the time? No, despite not liking the first 3 episodes. Heck, after a few of my friends managed to convince me to continue it as it neared it's conclusion, I picked it back up again and was totally engrossed (to the point of it becoming one of my all-time favorites) after what seemed to be a rocky start.
Everyone's got their own preferences. There's nothing wrong with being selective with what you watch as long as you don't base your opinion on an entire series on the little you've seen.

Apr 16, 2014 12:12 PM

Mar 2014
People, base your opinion on the entire series either way, and give no damn to those who will complain about the sum you've watched.

Save yourself the trouble and tell your friends that One Piece is terrible when one tells you to pick it up, no matter how much you watched (beginning from zero seconds time watched).
Apr 16, 2014 12:13 PM

Apr 2012
I complain about series that haven't even been created yet!

PROBLIM?

Apr 16, 2014 12:14 PM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
People, base your opinion on the entire series either way, and give no damn to those who will complain about the sum you've watched.

Save yourself the trouble and tell your friends that One Piece is terrible when one tells you to pick it up, no matter how much you watched (beginning from zero seconds time watched).

Who the fuck are you preaching to? You do realise that no one in their right mind would take your "advice", don't you? Seriously, at the very least, be honest about that. Not everyone is as close minded as you are.
Apr 16, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2014
Yes. The next Trigger show is going to suck because it will have lots of fanservice and it will be a sequel to a terrible sequel of a terrible anime series that people will mindlessly love.
Apr 16, 2014 12:15 PM

Jun 2011
So you're saying that someone who watched 3 episodes of an anime is more knowledgeable about the series than someone who watched the entire thing (whether it be 26 or 200 episodes)?

But I already watch (and like) One Piece. So why would I tell others that it's shit? That would make me a hypocrite.

Lord_Pooka said:
Yes. The next Trigger show is going to suck because it will have lots of fanservice and it will be a sequel to a terrible sequel of a terrible anime series that people will mindlessly love.

But Triggers only had a couple TV series so far. They're a relatively new company, after all.

Apr 16, 2014 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
Lord_Pooka said:

Quality of bait posts really has gone down.
Apr 16, 2014 12:21 PM

Mar 2014
SolBlade said:
So you're saying that someone who watched 3 episodes of an anime is more knowledgeable about the series than someone who watched the entire thing (whether it be 26 or 200 episodes)?

But I already watch (and like) One Piece. So why would I tell others that it's shit? That would make me a hypocrite.

They're more knowledgable than those who watched the entire thing (and praising it mindlessly) in that they know what to recommend for one who wants to watch an anime. They're going to recommend something that's good all the way, not something full of fillers and god knows how many episodes till that an anime have a proper closure, and that starts bad and slow like a slug. Which is perhaps what the overrated three excel at; being overstretched messes of a mostly battle genre. But overstretching is not the problem, its the slow plot and battles. It makes stuff like Dragon Ball Kai more golden than DBZ, because it gets rid of all what makes it look terrible at start and make it look more appealing to those who will watch just a few or the description before watching.
Apr 16, 2014 12:23 PM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:

They're more knowledgable than those who watched the entire thing (and praising it mindlessly) in that they know what to recommend for one who wants to watch an anime. They're going to recommend something that's good all the way, not something full of fillers and god knows how many episodes till that an anime have a proper closure, and that starts bad and slow like a slug. Which is perhaps what the overrated three excel at; being overstretched messes of a mostly battle genre. But overstretching is not the problem, its the slow plot and battles. It makes stuff like Dragon Ball Kai more golden than DBZ, because it gets rid of all what makes it look terrible at start and make it look more appealing to those who will watch just a few or the description before watching.

I see. Your posts about how good Mirai Nikki is are less believable than mine, then? I've seen the first 5 minutes of the series (didn't like much of what I saw, would rate it around 5, maybe 6) and even read the first 5 pages of the manga. But obviously, I'm more knowledgeable than you, who watched the entire fucking thing and mindlessly praise it.
Apr 16, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2012
i hate when people say toriko is bad when they didnt even read or watched it -.-

Jun 2011
Not at all. They wouldn't be knowledgeable at all since they don't know jackshit about anything that happened at all, thus lacking any proof behind their points. And not everyone who follows an anime will mindlessly praise it. Making generalizations based on previous examples doesn't work well either.
On the topic of battle series, I prefer reading the manga for long-runners though I still watch their anime adaptations on a weekly basis. And you do realize that you can skip fillers, right? Fillers are non-canon, meaning that they don't appear in their source material (i.e. the manga), and are put to provide a gap between the source material so it doesn't catch up too soon. Or is your definition of one different?

aboe said:
i hate when people say toriko is bad when they didnt even read or watched it -.-

I hear the anime adaptation had lots of censorship so I'm planning on reading the manga soon. Looks interesting, it feels like a mix of Hunter X Hunter and One Piece. Should be fabulous~

Mar 2014
yhunata said:
I see. Your posts about how good Mirai Nikki is are less believable than mine, then?

Mirai Nikki

Stop

Mirai Nikki

Oh god stop.

Mirai Nikki

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!

Mirai Nikki

So every fucking time I try to post something...

Mirai Nikki

I hear someone yelling Mirai Nikki!

Mirai Nikki

Your opinion invalidated.

And you do realize that you can skip fillers, right? Fillers are non-canon, meaning that they don't appear in their source material (i.e. the manga), and are put to provide a gap between the source material so it doesn't catch up too soon. Or is your definition of one different?

Unless you're willing to drop into a still running series, only to find that you're going through SIX EPISODES OF FILLERS. How much time is that in anime terms... 1 and a half months of fillers.

You may skip them if you're going to dig something from the dead past, but they're unskip-able if the fillers are in a running show, at least not until the next week, and hope that next week won't be a filler too.
Apr 16, 2014 12:28 PM

Jun 2012
It honestly depends. I'm usually 95% right when it comes to judging via trailers or posters, a lot of shows are pretty upfront and usually what you see is what you get.

Of course when it comes to long-runners judging the -entire series- from like the first 20-30 episodes is just dumb. It's one thing to not have a good first impression but it's another to act like all of your problems with a show are still there later on or that it doesn't get better.

I've seen plenty of people drop Hunter x Hunter midway in the first arc and in that same week complain that there isn't a shonen that "breaks the mold"

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
yhunata said:
I see. Your posts about how good Mirai Nikki is are less believable than mine, then?

Mirai Nikki

Stop

Mirai Nikki

Oh god stop.

Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki

Then do the same. Shut the fuck up if you don't know what you're talking about.

Jan 2013
Lord_Pooka said:
yhunata said:

Mirai Nikki

Stop

Mirai Nikki

Oh god stop.

Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki

Mirai Nikki

Your posts aren't much better when you bring up your "overrated three" in the majority of yours.

Guess that makes your opinion about those series invalidated right?
Apr 16, 2014 12:31 PM

Jun 2011
Irony is a beautiful thing, eh?

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What anime challenge traditional notions of morality and ethics, and what philosophical questions does it raise about the nature of good and evil?

LowIqSalty - 4 hours ago

23 by Rhae »»
44 seconds ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - 11 hours ago

17 by traed »»
21 minutes ago

» Will AI help reduce "crunch time" in the anime industry?

GoatPieceLuffy - Today

17 by PeripheralVision »»
29 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

119 by Gashadokur0 »»
53 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9118 by anime-prime »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.