Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2010 10:54 AM

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
wow no one has created this yet does that mean im the only one with love for this!? well i was kinda dissoppointed because the game didnt even start yet! so a slow episode but i really cant wait for next weeks!
Aug 8, 2010 11:03 AM

Jun 2009
I was about to create one but I don't know how. Anyway, there isn't much that happened. Too much talk especially those kids. Seriously, why are they given that much of an airtime. *shrugs*

Now, the next episode looks promising.
-QuasarAug 8, 2010 11:07 AM
Aug 8, 2010 11:37 AM

Dec 2009
man, was a good episode looking forward to next episode
Aug 8, 2010 12:19 PM

Mar 2009
Good episode... shows the planning for the next game as well as the hype. Especially when the coach comes in... I wonder if the real Mr. Blanc is doing the French part and Okada (the real-life Japan National Coach) is doing the Japanese voice.
Aug 8, 2010 12:51 PM

Mar 2008
Haha they sure made the build-up for this next game very special! So with the big game officially starting at episode 20...it could possibly take up 2 or 3 episodes, leaving just a small number left in the series, which would probably just show what the players do after the game. (if they win, then loads of celebrations). It's hard to believe we're at the finale already. Although it's late into the series, I'm hoping to see some other side or development to Tatsumi. I ended up caring about the players way way more than him.
Aug 8, 2010 2:57 PM

Apr 2010
looks like Osaka is the ultimate enemy in the series.
Aug 8, 2010 4:35 PM
Aug 2010
How about the team that won the series last year? Tokyo Victory or something like that
Aug 8, 2010 5:30 PM

May 2008
OOO ETU vs Osaka Gunners, this will be tough

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 8, 2010 6:19 PM

Sep 2008
I just knew they were gonna build up the tension so they can start the match next episode. Not really going to complain though, it pulled of the kind of excitement and atmosphere that I love from sports Anime's. Been a bit let down from Major S6 since it really hasn't given me that feeling (when every other season did). Next episode should be great though :)
Aug 8, 2010 8:46 PM

Nov 2007
Goddamn, I knew we wouldn't get to see any of the match this ep! D: So disappointed, though; now we have to wait another week.

Also agree with above -- hopefully the game is 2-3eps. I don't know what they'll do for the other couple, though, because we're not at the semi finals or anything are we? Second season maybe? Does anyone read the manga here and could give us an indication of where we're at/if there's enough material atm for a second season?
Aug 8, 2010 9:11 PM

Nov 2009
I usually like cliffhangers to a degree, but this episode only built upon it to the point where the cliff was too high; I loved it during the episode because i was excited to see his plan, but after it ended it made the whole episode sort of worthless.

I just got to hold onto this excitement for a whole week and then i won't be complaining ^.^
Aug 8, 2010 9:21 PM

May 2009
Plenty of Tatsumi being and looking all cool, but basically zero game time. I've come to expect it, but still wish they'd speed it up a bit (or make the episodes longer).
ArcticMechAug 9, 2010 3:37 AM
Aug 8, 2010 9:29 PM

Jul 2008
No fun in this episode, just an introduction before the main game. Just an extra episode to make the anime longer. You can skip this if you want and it won't ruin the story line. You won't see Tatsumi's awesome plan nor see them play in the game.
Aug 8, 2010 11:25 PM

Aug 2008
Just tell what was this!!! Dammit what an awesome Build up episode! I felt a chill running down my spine every moment of the episode... maybe Kota's and co. moments were a bit lame, but man they do have an impact in the whole outcome of the episode....

The best of it? Dulfer vs Tatsumi in the psychological war they had just before the game... A War that Tatsumi obviously won! Or well looks like he won... Whatever it is, he really surprised everyone besides Dulfer so far... ah and Mounsier Blanc... that Guy is pretty hilarious BTW XD... The players were surprised 'cause they have to pull out that crazy scheme, then the Fans and Supporters were greatly surprised and fear for a horrible outcome now that they know that ETU will play with two forwards, and obviously the reporter Fuji who didn't expected it too

Looks like Dulfer was the only one who knew before that Tatsumi would play like that... Oh well whatever... Looks like the next episode will be awesome... some game plays and an obvious build up episode for a surprising ETU win... or so I hope so...

Oh and for that who asked for the manga, I have no idea up to which point it is, no idea if how many games more they've played... In fact the Anime is released faster than the manga... the manga is released by Chibisuke Scans (Area no Kishi and Overdrive) more or less every two months, thou there's already 16 volumes out... And I also love this show!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2010 12:42 AM

Jun 2009
Can't wait for the match! Two forwards? Think it'll be a battle of the midfield if ETU's back line can keep the four forwards at bay.

Natsuki nervous & Blanc running to hide behind wall and eavesdrop = LOL

Can't wait to see the action, and I hope we get lots of it. The battle between West Ham and Arsenal.......I mean ETU and Osaka :P
Aug 9, 2010 2:14 AM
May 2010
ETU won't lose this one. How can this be Giant Killing is they don't kill the giant Osaka? I could see it tying with at least 1 goal each and then they rematch in the last couple episodes but the team would die if they lost it all now. As long as the single game doesn't take more than the next 2 episodes, I'll enjoy it.
Aug 9, 2010 2:34 AM

Jan 2009
i want next episode now

if Osaka have 4 forwards then ETU have 2 forwards i just hope thats enough to make ETU win in the end its time for Giant Killing
Aug 9, 2010 3:06 AM
Aug 2010
johnkx said:
No fun in this episode, just an introduction before the main game. Just an extra episode to make the anime longer. You can skip this if you want and it won't ruin the story line. You won't see Tatsumi's awesome plan nor see them play in the game.

I'm pretty sure you've never been into a football game or even seen any...
Aug 9, 2010 4:25 AM

Jan 2009
lol @ gino's face on the board
Aug 9, 2010 7:25 AM

Aug 2010
Sport Anime always has this when the last match of the season is going to end *cough*Hajimenoippo2*cough*. Ah well... I should have predicted that would happen
Aug 9, 2010 8:29 AM

Dec 2008
Definitely not much happened in this episode. Have to wait til next week for them to start the game.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Aug 9, 2010 10:51 AM
Jul 2008
If this anime doesn't know how to build up atmosphere I don't know which does.
Awesome music going on in the bg as well.

Tatsumi is such a badass <3
Aug 9, 2010 9:00 PM

May 2008
So slow dam it, i want more! =/
I want ETU kicks there ass and im sure they will, i think the player from osaka that might score if they do if that small dude in which seemed lost lol

Monsieur Tatsumi ^^
Aug 10, 2010 4:23 AM

Nov 2009
I'm one of those who was disappointed with the lack of action as well, although I was sure that we won't have any. This is one show that would be more fun to watch after it finished airing.

Anyway, next episode is going to be cool. I just hope that they cover whole match next episode. I really don't want to see the episode ending with ETU falling back at some point around the half time again.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Aug 10, 2010 9:10 AM

Dec 2009
"Your Dutch right? Is it true that there are more bikes than people in your country?"

I never even thought about this, but this is so true. xD
I live together with 3 people, and we have like 8 bikes in our shack.
Aug 10, 2010 1:31 PM

Aug 2008
The pay off had better be worth the build up. I've lost confidence in the show to rivet me.
Bumped down to a 5/10.
Aug 10, 2010 4:44 PM

Oct 2007
^
^
^
Is it really that hard to watch any sport anime after seeing Oofuri?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 10, 2010 8:20 PM

Feb 2009
OK episode but nothing more. This anime's trend is becoming too predictable and it kills all the excitement. It could become a ground breaking anime in the genre but it failed in that regard. I still think this is better than many badly made sports anime about soccer/football but it's not as great as I was hoping it to be.

Aug 10, 2010 11:23 PM

Mar 2009
I wonder why Natsu seems kinda nervous- that's quite unlike him. On the other hand, Sera's pumped up. Hope that leads to an exciting match.
Aug 11, 2010 11:00 AM

Jun 2008
The stadium presentation was as awesome as it can be. I'm also extremely happy that i get to see which player is what.

Tatsumi made a very smart choice. ETU must have been playing with 5 defenders, four midfields and one on the attack until now. Sure that's useful for counterattacks but against a team that plays fast attacking game with 4 forwards is hard because they will attack all the time and you are gonna defend all the time and in the end not being able to make it and take 2-3 goals with out even making a serious threat.

But with two on the attack they can't attack freely. They will have to watch there back now because it's more that one lonely guy getting some long passes there. So they won't be able to completely turn the game into there own rhythm.

It would have been nice if we had seen a few minutes of the game though.
MonadAug 11, 2010 11:32 AM
Aug 13, 2010 1:03 PM

Jul 2008
alican said:
johnkx said:

I'm pretty sure you've never been into a football game or even seen any...

I don't watch football introductions, I wanna see the game. I'm not sure if your comment relates to what I said before. The episode is just something to hype you on the next episode. Both episode 18-19 are just there to excite you to the next game. I was already excited when I watched 18, but seeing that there's no game on 19 made me kinda bored. So yea I hoping for some action in 20.

PS: you do know they give a flashback during the start of every new episode so even if you miss 1, you still can relate to it.
Aug 16, 2010 1:54 PM
Dec 2007
randywmorgan17 said:
I wonder if the real Mr. Blanc is doing the French part and Okada (the real-life Japan National Coach) is doing the Japanese voice.

Not at all :)

Great build up episode though, these are the moments when the series really shine.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 22, 2010 2:26 PM

Sep 2009
Monad said:
The stadium presentation was as awesome as it can be. I'm also extremely happy that i get to see which player is what.

Tatsumi made a very smart choice. ETU must have been playing with 5 defenders, four midfields and one on the attack until now. Sure that's useful for counterattacks but against a team that plays fast attacking game with 4 forwards is hard because they will attack all the time and you are gonna defend all the time and in the end not being able to make it and take 2-3 goals with out even making a serious threat.

But with two on the attack they can't attack freely. They will have to watch there back now because it's more that one lonely guy getting some long passes there. So they won't be able to completely turn the game into there own rhythm.

It would have been nice if we had seen a few minutes of the game though.

ETU usual plan is 4-5-1 not 5-4-1.

Tanba is a midfielder and not a defender (the guy who assisted the goal in Uraw's match).

An awesome ep by the way, definitely deserved the wait for me.
Oct 3, 2010 7:18 PM

Aug 2010
I enjoyed all the tension and character introductions. Occasionally the episodes full of build-up and talking are some of the most interesting. Now I just hope that the actual match doesn't disappoint.
Oct 15, 2013 1:46 PM

Jul 2012
S'okay. Character introductions were pretty fun to watch. Looking forward to next episode!
Dec 17, 2015 2:26 AM

Jan 2010
oh man, i'm getting pumped up for this game :D

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 20, 2015 7:56 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Sera's back. He looks more fired up than Natsu.

Fantastic build up for the match. Tatsumi showing just how boss he is. Gino was hilarious. "I'll try my best just for today". xD

Sep 15, 2020 2:53 PM

Dec 2007
i liked the tatsumi and that coach talk and all (thought to be annoying due that translator and the annoying motive of the anime to make them talk in their supposed langauge...) but they delayed the match too much, 2 whole of setup for one match is too much...

i hope that not only the two forwards are part of tatsumi plan.

and what's going on with natsu?
Oct 7, 2022 12:15 PM
Jan 2021
it was preety good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 16 Discussion

helur - Jul 18, 2010

29 by RGreatDanton »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 15 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Jul 11, 2010

42 by RGreatDanton »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 14 Discussion

garfield15 - Jul 4, 2010

32 by RGreatDanton »»
52 minutes ago

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 27, 2010

51 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 20, 2010

57 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 7:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.