Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2021 2:11 PM

Oct 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Handkerchief game huh, it was definitely lacking context but it's really no surprise the subject of this episode is a bunch of dumb teens. In the end, this episode kinda suffered from the lack of context, would have definitely been creepier if we got a bit of insight on how it's connected to the family (if at all)
Jan 10, 2021 6:13 PM

Dec 2018
The killer handkerchief =P Oooh so fucking scary! Or just dumber than an ass,,,

Sadly the story's become lamer for every season. Hopefully it will improve and at least have some good upcoming episodes

Jan 10, 2021 6:20 PM
Aug 2018
EGOIST said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Handkerchief game huh, it was definitely lacking context but it's really no surprise the subject of this episode is a bunch of dumb teens. In the end, this episode kinda suffered from the lack of context, would have definitely been creepier if we got a bit of insight on how it's connected to the family (if at all)

I'm no expert by any means, but aren't these stories all based off of traditional folk tales and modern urban legends? I think "context" would be redundant for its target audience, which is, of course, Japanese people. It would basically be like taking the time to explain Jack and the Beanstalk. The majority of people already know the story, and it would be annoying to reiterate the context for that folk tale in a 5 min episode.

But like I said, I'm no expert. I definitely could be wrong about that!
Jan 10, 2021 10:59 PM

Oct 2008
this is why you don't go out without any equip...i meant low bat smafone...
looks like endgame for all those teens/or adults...
4/5.

Jan 10, 2021 11:27 PM

Oct 2015
vardavarr said:
EGOIST said:

I'm no expert by any means, but aren't these stories all based off of traditional folk tales and modern urban legends? I think "context" would be redundant for its target audience, which is, of course, Japanese people. It would basically be like taking the time to explain Jack and the Beanstalk. The majority of people already know the story, and it would be annoying to reiterate the context for that folk tale in a 5 min episode.

But like I said, I'm no expert. I definitely could be wrong about that!
oh it definitely might be, I'm only aware of the handkerchief game but never really heard of it being associated to being spirited away
Jan 11, 2021 6:52 AM

Mar 2018
I was really hoping the stories wouldn't be like "it obviously looks like there's a ghost, and SURPRIZE, there was a GHOST the whole time".

I know it's called "ghost stories", but what makes other series better is having a conclusion after the punchline, like the jerks got killed but better people survived and have learned a lesson.
Jan 11, 2021 7:52 AM
Nov 2020
Really weak ep. Hope next eps would get better.
Jan 12, 2021 2:19 AM

Nov 2017
Weak start to season 8 but I've watched all the seasons so theres no point in stopping now. The handkerchief idea might have been original but... it was just "meh" ig
Jan 12, 2021 2:40 AM
Mar 2011
Attackergoal said:
Weak start to season 8 but I've watched all the seasons so theres no point in stopping now. The handkerchief idea might have been original but... it was just "meh" ig
I have skipped a few seasons, but I find even though this episode was a bit simple, at least it was not as bad as some of the third and forth seasons episodes. If it continues at this level or better, I won't be disappointed.
Jan 12, 2021 2:43 AM

Nov 2017
naens said:
Attackergoal said:
I have skipped a few seasons, but I find even though this episode was a bit simple, at least it was not as bad as some of the third and forth seasons episodes. If it continues at this level or better, I won't be disappointed.

Some of the episodes in season 3 and 4 were SO bad, if was laughable 😂😂 I loved most of the episodes in season 1 though. The stories were pretty creative.
Jan 12, 2021 12:58 PM

Jan 2021
This one was OK, not sure what the handkerchief game is, but really when your friends start to disappear, should probably at least try to get out of there, lol.
Jan 12, 2021 4:11 PM

Aug 2013
This chapter was bored and weak, but this show have a lot of chapters like this, so it's ok for now.
Jan 13, 2021 4:58 AM

Feb 2016
I don't expect this series to be Anime of the season or something but somehow like this short horror story and weird ED theme songs so I ended up watching every season even after S3 it became not so good. somehow this series eases my heart,lol
handkerchief game is something we do in kindergarten or elementary school,so I felt some nostalgia and also this episode was pretty scary,so I hope this season will be ggod season
Jan 13, 2021 5:32 AM
Jun 2017
Well, I must say this episode was over my expectations... as I didn't have any to start with. Anyway, it's decent, at least. It wasn't scary at all, but at least it managed to have my full attention throughout the entire episode.
Jan 14, 2021 4:36 AM

Jan 2011
That was a meh start to the new season.
Jan 21, 2021 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
finally yami shibai came back, and it looks like it will be 4 minutes.
Mar 8, 2021 6:14 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I thought it was a little spooky at least. Maybe that's just my brain at 6 in the morning talking though. I should go to sleep.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 19, 2021 2:41 PM

Jan 2017
Ok so in the Handkerchief Game one person goes around the circle and drops a handkerchief behind someone's back in a way that they will not notice, choosing someone to be 'it'. After the person walks by 'it' can feel behind them to see if the handkerchief is there without looking behind themself. When 'it' notices, 'it' can chase the person around the circle as the person tries to take their now-vacant spot. Untapped, they can take the spot. If 'it' taps them, they have to go around the circle again. The game is extremely similar to one I played as a child in the states called Duck, Duck, Goose.

I had to Google that to understand what was going on in the episode but even with the added context the show still lacked a lot of substance. Maybe if there was more background on the child it would have been ore suspenseful, but I prefer scary old folktale over trying to make a children's game scary.
Mar 21, 2021 1:52 AM

Oct 2017
They probably did this same story 27 times in all of previous seasons
DrumbottleMar 21, 2021 8:14 AM
Oct 31, 2021 7:14 PM

Aug 2012
Finished Yami Shibai 7 well over a year ago, closer to two years than one, but I figured there's no better time to start to catch up then on Halloween.

And this one was pretty boring. To be fair, I knew nothing of the handkerchief game, but I don't know if that context is super important. The basic gist was easily understandable, having the handkerchief behind you meant you disappeared. I do wonder reading that it's basically Duck, Duck, Goose if they would've just been fine had they not sat in a circle.

Knowing the children's game thing does add a little zest to it I guess, but this was just a tensionless slog. It's just the same type of "scare" over and over again, a four minute story shouldn't feel this redundant. There's no variation to the people's disappearance, outside of Shizuka screwing Shinji over a bit early. Didn't really work.

Also, maybe it's been too long since I've seen season 7, but it does feel like the art quality improved here from what I last remembered, I don't know if that works to it's advantage though. The ending animation bit with the handkerchief turning red was lame.

On the plus side, I really like the ED. Not the best they ever had, but still a good track.
Dec 28, 2021 7:01 AM

Feb 2020
It was an okay episode.
Apr 20, 8:36 AM

Feb 2014
That Shinji guy was being dumb for the purpose of the plot, and we don't even get to see how the ghost looked.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 6 Discussion

Fishcaek-Chan - Feb 14, 2021

19 by MiiKamiya »»
Jul 2, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 2 Discussion

EGOIST - Jan 17, 2021

29 by MiiKamiya »»
Jul 2, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 10 Discussion

towelgirl21 - Mar 14, 2021

20 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 9:58 AM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 4 Discussion

EGOIST - Jan 31, 2021

24 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 9:01 AM

» Do you plan to watch this?

Paulotronator - Nov 28, 2020

31 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 8:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.