Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 10, 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
Kinda interesting seeing how Jinshi's reactions this episode. I know he and Maomao has a complicated relationship in the show but in this episode, he showed more emotions than usual.

Maoamo was once again assigned a task so it's no surprise the show continues to push her role. For comedic gags, there's still endless amount of those cat-like reactions and meme faces.
Feb 10, 8:22 AM

May 2020
Well, it was kind of evident how Jinshi was taken aback by Maomao’s answer, but that’s the truth anyways. Though now that Maomao has come back home, she can take it easy for some time, or that’s how it should be, but this is that part of the story where we start getting answers to some of the mysteries or say questions, whose hints were sprinkled throughout…

… one of them being about Maomao’s actual parents. That almost half dead courtesan will see her story in due time, so no issues there. I mean Maomao’s trying to not think about it as well, so yeah. But hey, the homecoming didn’t last long lol. Maomao is already back at the palace, but I mean good to see she actually taking enjoyment in her work for once. Good to Suiren, she sent her for fetching medicines… that one work she’d never deny lol.

Though this episode being named after Lakan, and him only making a presence this late in the second half is hilarious in itself, but we got our confirmation... THAT LAKAN IS MAOMAO'S BIOLOGICAL FATHER. I mean this felt obvious after that one episode, but knowing how much Maomao resents him... with that expression, really even had Jinshi stopped breathing there for a second.

They really did paint Lakan's character as irredeemable as they could lol. But yeah that's the good thing. Suirei got her much needed interaction as well.

Now the ritual ceremony is upon us in the next episode. So looking forward.
Softhenic03Feb 10, 8:31 AM
Feb 10, 9:25 AM

Dec 2021
Damn, Jinshi is really going all out to get closer to Maomao.

After parting ways with Jinshi in the town, Maomao returned to the village and was asked by Lamen to deliver medicine to a cottage at Ryokusho. There lay a courtesan afflicted with illness, and as Maomao administered the medicine, memories flooded back of the old days at Ryokusho and the courtesans of that time. Meanwhile, Jinshi, having returned to the imperial palace, conversed with the strategist Lakan, who showed a persistent interest in Jinshi and, through their discussions, Jinshi began to realize what Moamao really is to Lakan.

You know, catching a glimpse of Maomao's backstory, like, a mere 5 seconds of it, and it piqued my interest. Really hoping they dive into it more before the show wraps up. And whenever Pairin swings by, you can bet it's gonna be one of those fan-service-packed episodes. And guess what? I totally called it. So, turns out Lakan's got some kind of tie to Maomao – every time he shows up, she's told to vanish. Must be serious if she's ducking out, but then, surprise twist, he's not a threat, he's her father... WHAT?! Anyway, Maomao shouldn't be too shocked about the blue-haired girl hating her; seems like everyone's got it out for her just because she's tight with Jinshi. And you know, as far-fetched as that "resurrection medicine" herb sounds, if Maomao's flipping out over it, wouldn't be surprised if it's legit.

Suriel... friend or foe to Maomao?

Feb 10, 9:31 AM
Sep 2015
I think this is the most serious episode yet despite no one getting murdered in this episode.

Can't wait for Lihaku appearance in the next episode.
Feb 10, 10:10 AM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
That Jump scare actually scared me for some seconds holy shit.
Feb 10, 11:08 AM
May 2021
Peak shit as usual maomao just built differently!
Feb 10, 11:23 AM

Apr 2010
So her real father appears the question is why is she avoiding him or rather why does she dislike him?
Well i guess all in time.
Anyway it's nice to see Moamoa enjoying some time at home and she seems to be doing well in the palace.
It was also funny to see her go wild for herbs and medication again.
Feb 10, 11:25 AM

Feb 2019
Fuck Lakan. All my homies hate Lakan

Before we discuss that loser, starting us off at the beginning of the episode.. I thought it was so cute that Jinshi grabbed Maomao and didn’t want her to leave him in the pleasure district. I wonder what he ended up getting into?

On Maomao’s end, it’s always nice to see her go back home and spend some time with friends and family. Pairin is always a joy to have on screen as is the old lady in charge of the brothel.

Maomao’s having nightmares about her past.. they’re slowly drip feeding us information about her origins one scene at a time and I love it, but I want the answers now lol.

Now what’s confusing to me is I can’t tell if the courtesan who’s living in the annex is the same one with green hair from Lakan’s flashbacks that’s implied to be Maomao’s mom or not. Maomao said she got syphillis like a decade ago, but Maomao is obviously over 10

Going back to Lakan, we unfortunately pretty much got confirmation that he’s Maomao’s biological father. This shouldn’t come as a surprise since it’s been hinted from his first appearance, but damn, talk about dysfunctional family.

The look on Maomao’s face when Jinshi said Lakan wants to meet with her was a legit jump scare. Might’ve been the first time someone’s ever put the fear of death into Jinshi.

Speaking of Jinshi, we also got some official confirmation that he’s much more than a simple Eunuch, which again most of us already knew based on some things just not adding up. But who exactly he is still remains a mystery. Lakan knows though and knows only a few people would be able to say no to him. Meaning he’s gotta be royalty of some sort

As if that weren’t enough, we’ve got a new suspicious court lady planting an unofficial garden.. lot of moving pieces coming together. Next few episodes should be great
Marinate1016Feb 10, 12:04 PM
Feb 10, 11:26 AM

Mar 2021
Kinda had a inkling Lakan was Maomao's father but now am looking forward to learning why Maomao is so determined to avoid having to deal with him
Feb 10, 11:29 AM

Sep 2020
That jumpscare scared the shit out of me
Feb 10, 11:33 AM
Oct 2016
Lakan is Maomao father by blood. Its been heavily hinted at for a few episodes but now we get the stone cold confirmation from the man himself. His constantly antagonizing Jinshi has reached its peak by basically confronting him about how Maomao came under his possession. Lakan apparently trying to get Maomao from the brothel manager for a decade but now Jinshi has taken her to the palace. We'll have to see who wins in the power struggle for Maomao life. Based off that incredibly terrifying look she have Jinshi when he brought up Lakan to her I'd say we already know which side she herself would choose. Maomao visiting that old courtesan that is secluded in the annex building was very sad. Suffering from a disease like would be torture as your body grows horrible sores and your mind degrades one memory at a time. Its lucky they're even still taking care of her at all but still that's a horrible life to live. There's some broader connections be teased that'll come up later. Maomao talking to Suirei was very ominous, like she knows more than she seems. Her working with medicine too could be a clue as to what she's planning.
Feb 10, 11:40 AM

Feb 2021
The OP is from Jinshi's perspective btw. It's title is "Ambivalent" meaning "having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone". And the lyrics (translation by yours truly):
碧い、碧い、その瞳に僕はまだ映らない
aoi, aoi, sono hitomi ni boku wa mada utsuranai
I'm still not reflected in those blue, blue eyes.
碧い (aoi) is "blue", like regular 青い (aoi), but it also has a meaning of beautiful stones and minerals and can refer to green (or greenish blue) too (because blue and green used to be the same word, like in many other languages).

I'm guessing the emotions Maomao wanted to hide from Jinshi are anger and disappointment.
Okay, but how can she remember something from when she was a baby? Reminds me of Soyuz from Dr. Stone lol.
Oh damn, so the mom is actually still alive... And up to now I didn't actually know that syphilis can affect the brain too.
11:44 精進料理 (shoujin ryouri) - vegetarian cuisine originally derived from the dietary restrictions of Buddhist monks​

So Lakan is Maomao's father as many suspected...
18:03 Holy- Didn't expect to get jumpscared while watching this anime. And if you pause, Maomao looks legit horrifying.
This episode was the most "ominous" so far. Yep, I'm moving this up from 9/10 to 10/10.

And unrelated to the episode, but I've finally caugth up on Kingdom, so I'll be watching that after this. Will be cool watching two ancient China inspired anime back-to-back.
Feb 10, 11:45 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Lakan is Maomao's real father and he knows about Jinshi's true identity which can make it difficult for Jinshi to get closer to Maomao. It also seems like Maomao also know who Lakan really is and goes out of her way to avoid meeting with him. Next episode preview looks like some type of ceremony involving Jinshi.
Feb 10, 11:46 AM

Jul 2011
Seeing all the info of this episode. First, I worry about Meimei that may be Lakan next victim. The back, looks like him.

I'm impressed Maomao having the courage to walk so close to the place that is more probable she see the "weirdo with the monocle".

Sometimes you just need one very brief expression to show your opinion about the matter.

I worry about if Suirei is just a tool to attract Maomao with herbs.
Feb 10, 11:47 AM
Dec 2016
Who can give me spoiler for the next on the story line..soo curious..(for ppl who read manga)?

PLEASE

in private if is not ok here
RuxxiFeb 10, 11:51 AM
Feb 10, 11:49 AM
Oct 2020
Damn so it's confirmed that Lakan is Maomao's biological father.
Feb 10, 11:55 AM

Oct 2017
What was that look from Maomao, dayumn. Well Lakan is her father confirmed, which was obvious already but good to have confirmation. Though I do wonder if there's more to the story or if he really just left Maomao's mother after impregnating her.

Maomao can't love someone. I hope Jinshi can melt Maomao's heart and make a space for himself. Really want this ship to sail.

More focus on Suirei, the girl from before. Wonder what she'll bring to the story.
Feb 10, 12:00 PM

Jul 2017
Very interesting episode as a whole, one that seemed pretty serious and interesting for the most part. Little jump scares and ominous scenes here and there. Pretty much could connect the dots easily that Lakan is Maomao's original father. The state of the old courtesan after the diseases and anguish throughout many years while being stuck in the old annex building for so long was brutal to watch. She's alive and in a building taken care of by people like Maomao in this episode, but can't imagine going through experiences like that. Given the times though and the jobs courtesans had to do, it's sadly unsurprising. Lakan in general continues to be an ominous presence in these last few episodes and Suirei joins that fray too when she met Maomao a couple of times throughout the episode. The scene with Maomao reacting to Jinshi revealing that Lakan wanted to meet her was quite something with the jumpscare reaction approach that came out of nowhere. As someone who has tried to hide her emotions well, she could not control herself and that expression even caught Jinshi massively off guard. Definitely a weird build up episode overall, in a good way though. The tension building was quite strong throughout.
Feb 10, 12:02 PM

Sep 2017
Wow, they really revealed everything here. I thought they might leave some room for doubt but they just went and said it. You can understand why Mao is such a loved child in the house now. But so if Lakan gave her syphilis, I guess he was able to cure it on himself due to some fancy ass doctor (maybe even Mao's adoptive father). But it was too late to save Mao's mother by the time the Doc really had a look. Well okay. Think I got everything. Question is now what.
Feb 10, 12:22 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Ruxxi
Who can give me spoiler for the next on the story line..soo curious..(for ppl who read manga)?

PLEASE

in private if is not ok here
@Ruxxi as LN reader: what exactly do you want to know?
Feb 10, 12:29 PM

Aug 2022
Next episode gonna be crazy.
maomao scaring jinshi with just one look
Feb 10, 12:32 PM
Sep 2020
Reply to dicloflom
Next episode gonna be crazy.
maomao scaring jinshi with just one look
@dicloflom Probably Maomao will know who is Jinshi, she still think is only a Eunuch
Feb 10, 12:58 PM

Jul 2022
BOOBA BOOBA BIG BIG BOOBA
Feb 10, 1:03 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022

The manga did the scene way better. The menacing stance and stare were reduced to a split-second jumpscare.

Feb 10, 1:13 PM
Mar 2019
What an episode. All the mysteries are starting to unravel.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Feb 10, 1:15 PM
Aug 2023
Definitely the most serious tone an episode has had thus far. The death stare from MaoMao actually spooked me for a second. Confirmation that the creepy manacle-wearing guy, Lakan, is her biological father. And if we were to go off characteristics alone, the sickly courtesan may end up being her biological mother, but only time will tell on that front. Also confirmed that Jinshi isn’t just some ordinary palace eunuch as had been hinted at a bit. Always good to have Chibi + Cat ear MaoMao make an appearance as well.

The potential tone shift this story could take in these last six episodes will be interesting
Feb 10, 1:21 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode, customary of the series! Amazing Maomao's briefest scene!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 10, 1:26 PM
May 2017
Reply to phantomfandom
I think this is the most serious episode yet despite no one getting murdered in this episode.

Can't wait for Lihaku appearance in the next episode.
@phantomfandom This episode story reached a very relevant point for Maomao and for Jinshi.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Feb 10, 1:30 PM

Aug 2023
Reply to Ri-KoRin

The manga did the scene way better. The menacing stance and stare were reduced to a split-second jumpscare.
@Ri-KoRin i have not read the manga but I think that split-second works better. I mean it was a legit jump scare and if it would have stayed longer it wouldn’t feel like a jump scare.
Feb 10, 1:31 PM

Jan 2016
Wow this series is taking a turn on this second cour going through our main characters backstory! Got some chills down my spine with that Maomao reaction talking to Jinshi...
I just hope nothing bad happens to Meimei being involved with Lakan... That conversation with Maomao in the bath sounded so much like a red flag
Feb 10, 1:35 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that was some dark turn! God, that expression of Maomao’s though, I didn’t think she knew her father exactly, to be honest. Also, for some reason, I thought her mother passed away as well, so I’m glad that wasn’t the case. Judging by the way she jumped up in excitement over Suiren-san’s bold statement, it seems she still holds motherly love for her despite being abused as a child. A sweet little bathe with her sisters, her blushing over having her back washed by her aunt, was really nice to see.

Jinshi-san’s found out about it too. It’s a good thing he’s got some kind of high rank, but it looks like it might not be enough? At least, that’s the vibe the next Ep preview gave. Also, swollen Mao’s face? Yikes, the tone in the remaining episodes could be very different from thus far.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 10, 1:35 PM

Jul 2013
For anyone who's read the LNs - how many volumes have been adapted so far? I'm crossing my fingers there's enough material for them to start working on a 2nd season right away, if there's going to be one

This show is so goddamn good, I might have to hop over to either the LNs or manga when this ends, which is an extremely rare thing for me to do...
Feb 10, 1:43 PM

Apr 2015
Jump scare Maomao holy shit

A lot of interesting reveals, but also mystery.

It seems the next episode something really big will happen.
Feb 10, 1:44 PM

Jul 2012
It's interesting how both Jinshi and Maomao have mysterious pasts, and how they're uncovering more about each other along with us.
Feb 10, 1:53 PM

Mar 2022
Lmao, the Maomao jumpscare definitely got me there. That aside, Maomao's parents' definitely got one tragic story. It's interesting to imagine how different Maomao's life would've turned out if her parents' marriage worked out properly.
Feb 10, 1:58 PM
Oct 2018
Man, what is that song at the ending scene? That's so fucking good.
Feb 10, 2:10 PM

Jan 2021
Dang so Maomao is Lakan's daughter confirmed. Since its a family reunion I'm guessing that sick woman was Maomao's mother. Glad we didn't dwell on it too long because its obvious Maomao emotionally doesn't want to deal with it. Flinched when they showed her disdain for Lakan up close. Had to play that moment again to see her face. It wasn't even half a second on the screen.
Feb 10, 2:13 PM
Oct 2015
i almost got a heart attack from maomao face im not joking that face scares me alot and the silence before it come on this ep will give me nightmares.
Oji-Sama_Q8Feb 11, 1:17 AM
Feb 10, 2:43 PM

Sep 2016
About Maomao's reaction I expected a copypaste of the manga page but the 0.2 seconds reaction was unexpected, I liked it a lot but I like the manga version better, the manga shows absolute disgust, the anime shows absolute hatred, both were great representations of Maomao's feelings.
Feb 10, 2:50 PM

Jul 2021
For all the colorful art and cute characters, the show always had an undercurrent of unimaginable cruelty and danger, and now we see Maomao's. It's more bone-chilling and sickening than I expected.

I feel like there are still some missing pieces here, though. What Lakan's intentions are for Maomao. Why Lakan would antagonize Jinshi directly like that. Why the sick courtesan was allowed to stay, presumably for many years. How much Maomao knows about her parents, and how she knows that.

I was kind of losing interest but now I'm back in. Next episode looks somewhat intense.
Feb 10, 2:55 PM

May 2019
So Lakan being Maomao's biological father is officially confirmed. Also, it does appear that Maomao either already knows it or at least suspects it but she for sure does not want to meet with him. At this point I think Lakan may threaten to blackmail Jinshi since he also knows about Jinshi's background and that Jinshi bought out Maomao and cares for her.
Feb 10, 3:08 PM

Nov 2010
I thought that Maomao's expression was a subliminal message and I had to rewatch 2x times but didn't manage to see it properly so thanks to the person who screnshot it lol

Lakan looks annoying in the anime and if I haven't read the manga yet I would hate him, but since I've read the manga I'm more annoyed with Jinshi to not let him see Maomao. I think that Maomao is too harsh on him but anyway. I am hoping that they unfold Lakan and the courtesan past in this season.
Feb 10, 3:08 PM

Nov 2010
What is this episode it's like too early for Halloween. Wasn't prepared for the jump scare. Pretty sure that Suirei gal has probably killed someone before.

Also, asking a very important question: So Lakan gave Maomao's mom syphilis? LMAO
Feb 10, 3:12 PM

Nov 2023
I hate Lakan so much; he cannot be redeemed.

This was pretty dark, without a case happening. We got some information on Maomao's past and learned about Lakan being her dad.

Lakan also knows who Jinshi actually is, and I think I know, but I'll wait for a reveal to happen.
Feb 10, 3:14 PM
Feb 2019
muy buen cap, la mirada de maomao dice mas de milpalabras
Feb 10, 3:14 PM

Nov 2010
Reply to Oji-Sama_Q8
i almost got a heart attack from maomao face im not joking that face scares me alot and the silence before it come on this ep will give me nightmares.
@Oji-Sama_Q8 same here. We definitely need some cleansing after this episode.
Feb 10, 3:35 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
What a great episode. This episode was more about Maomao than her going out and solving a mystery. We found out some crucial information that Lakan was actually Maomao father and not just some weird guy lurking around and that’s why he’s been so interested in her. See some of her backstory and she gets pretty excited to hear about a plant that can revive people. Real? Fake? I’m sure it’ll be revealed soon and hopefully most of the questions we all have can be wrapped up before the season ends
Feb 10, 3:46 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to Devonnius

This was pretty dark, without a case happening. We got some information on Maomao's past and learned about Lakan being her dad.

Lakan also knows who Jinshi actually is, and I think I know, but I'll wait for a reveal to happen.
Devonnius said:

Let's just wait until the end of the story, then we can judge
Feb 10, 4:13 PM
Shōjo Specialist

Oct 2014
Finally. I have been reading the LN and last night in Volume 2 I finally caught up to this episode and the next. I can’t wait till next week to see how they portray the exciting developments. So glad I started reading the LN.Its great!!😊

Looking forward to a season 2 and season 3!
Feb 10, 4:38 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Ri-KoRin

@Ri-KoRin I'm grateful they did it differently than the manga because I was waiting for this scene to be animated, and they doing a jumpscare out of nowhere put me on a surprise.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.