Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 12, 6:07 PM

Feb 2023
WOW!...this has been the most intense episode of the season by FAR!!!
Feb 12, 6:16 PM
Aug 2019
This was probably one of the best episodes in a while! Many answers given and much darkness revealed.
Feb 12, 9:41 PM

Feb 2019
We finally get a glimpse into Maomao's true background.
Feb 12, 9:47 PM

Sep 2017
ScarRufus said:
Jump scare Maomao holy shit

A lot of interesting reveals, but also mystery.

It seems the next episode something really big will happen.

Thanks for providing the jumpscare images, as it was such a short “blink and you miss it” moment that I couldn’t even tell that anything happened while watching the episode. I wouldn’t have even known about the jumpscare if I hadn’t decided to read this discussion post.
I wish more people watched Chobits.
Feb 12, 11:17 PM
Oct 2019
Omg Lakan is indeed Maomao biological father.
God damn it, i knew it.

So the girl that sick was definitely Maomao Mother.

Bruhh that split second jump scare are coming out of no where.
WTF
Feb 13, 5:18 AM

Sep 2016
Could someone explain why Lakan is after MaoMao? I thought it was her mother that he wanted to get?
Feb 13, 8:02 AM
Feb 2015
It feel like we're an inch deeper in the secret of the imperial palace. Lakan is a menace, never saw Maomao makes such a cold face when hearing Lakan name. So her mother become one prostitute in brothel and inflicted by the iilness. No wonder she got close to the brothel sister. Apparently maomao have selfhatred about her born situation around it and it's all Lakan fault. He supposedly just buy Maomao mom instead of using dirty trick.

''that's an emotion i leave behind in the womb of woman who birthed me"
jumbosanFeb 13, 8:12 AM
Feb 13, 10:49 AM

Jan 2021
That face was so fucked up damn

Feb 14, 6:14 AM

Mar 2007
OMG that asshole is her FATHER??? Yikes!

Her poor mother, ruined by him.

She showed him the eyes of a murderer, it's better those 2 don't meet. Especially considering the madam wanted to sell her to Lakan.
Feb 14, 6:20 PM

Jul 2016
So Lakan is Xiaomao's biological father... and that's it? For a show that likes to be cryptic about pretty much everything, this confirmation sure felt quite "in your face".
Not to mention the show is trying its hardest to portray him as scummy as possible and that makes me wonder if there is a side of his story they haven't told us yet...

By the way, I have no idea whether syphilis is hereditary or not but the "flowery pattern" used to depict the rashes on Xiaomao's mother is exactly the same they used for Xiaomao's own rash on her arm in the first OP. Just an observation.

That said, first interesting episode in a long while.
Feb 15, 10:00 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Woo, Lakan is the Maomao´s father!!!
It was a surprise to me!!!
kekeke
Feb 15, 1:54 PM

Sep 2014
pretty tense atmosphere right now.
Lakan confirmed to be Maomaos father, more surprisingly everyone relevant seems to know.
I wonder if her adoptive dad knows too? Probably, right? I wonder what he thinks about her ending up in the palace.

Still funny how Maomao never figured out Jinchi is not just any random eunuch even with all the hints she found out.

Even funnier is she got thrown out because someone related to her kidnappers was related to someone else, yet they never noticed her dad worked in the palace? Now that I think about it, does she even have a family name?

Suirei seems really mysterious.

I miss the rear palace though.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 18, 11:57 PM

Jan 2021
I hate the fact that Lakan is Maomao's biological father.... when Maomao was dreaming about her past (when she was a baby), who was it that tried to kill her? Was it her mother?

Speaking of Maomao's mother, I assume that the woman who got syphilis was her mother. Did her mother get syphilis because of other customers or because of Lakan?

It's understandable that Maomao doesn't believe in love, which is why I'm glad to see that she's so loved by her onee-chan at the brothel. She smiled when Meimei rubbed her back :")

It seems that Maomao is starting to think that Jinshi is not an ordinary eunuch. Perhaps Maomao's theory about the baby swap is true? Hmm

Anyway, a few episodes ago we were introduced to a new concubine, Lady Loulan. I wonder if she has something to do with this too....

Feb 20, 4:50 AM
Aug 2021
I might have guessed the courtesan was Maomao's birthmom, but I still don't trust Lankan being her biological father. He's more like a snake that hiding his venom here.
Feb 20, 5:06 PM

Jan 2022
It seems like the lady Maomao was tending to was most likely her mom who got syphilis, that's rough. I'm assuming that because they have the same hair color as Maomao. I'm sad I didn't get scared from the jumpscare :( why is Lakan so desperate to meet up with Maomao? Why can't he leave her alone? I mean, her mother already hated her from the moment she was born because Maomao ruined the mom's value, even though it was Lakan's fault.

Suriel, why is she going to plant morning glories? Its not toxic unless its in extremely high quantities.

Sooo, why did Jinshi go to the pleasure district?? Jinshi is probably not an eunuch like everyone thinks he is. Which would make sense bc why would he go to Verdigris House when Maomao left the first time, if he was a eunuch? It was alluded that he was the son of the one courtesan who was demoted.
This never updates so that's cool
Feb 24, 5:00 AM

Oct 2019
We finally learned about Maomao's backstory. I'd not realized her old man was her adoptive father. Lakan is her biological father and her mother was a courtesan who almost killed her as a baby...

It was not clearly specified but she must have been that courtesan with syphilis Maomao was taking care of. Maomao called her mother 'that woman' when referring to her lack of love (very dark lines...), which was how she described the woman she was tending to too.
So yeah, she must be her mother. But Maomao does not see her as a mother...

Based on Lakan's hints to Jinshi he appears to have left Maomao's mother deliberately pregnant to "devalue her". He probably raped her, thus taking her 'purity' (since she was a high-grade courtesan) and impregnating her, diminishing her value.

Maomao knows Lakan, but does she also know he's her biological father and (presumably) raped her mother? I suppose, judging from that lethal look she gave Jinshi, she is fully aware of who Lakan is...
Feb 24, 5:15 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to hanakocheeks
I hate the fact that Lakan is Maomao's biological father.... when Maomao was dreaming about her past (when she was a baby), who was it that tried to kill her? Was it her mother?

Speaking of Maomao's mother, I assume that the woman who got syphilis was her mother. Did her mother get syphilis because of other customers or because of Lakan?

It's understandable that Maomao doesn't believe in love, which is why I'm glad to see that she's so loved by her onee-chan at the brothel. She smiled when Meimei rubbed her back :")

It seems that Maomao is starting to think that Jinshi is not an ordinary eunuch. Perhaps Maomao's theory about the baby swap is true? Hmm

Anyway, a few episodes ago we were introduced to a new concubine, Lady Loulan. I wonder if she has something to do with this too....
@hanakocheeks Yes, the woman with syphilis Maomao was tending was almost certainly her mother. And yes, it was she who almost killed her. She did not refer to her as her mother, but she also did not refer to her mother as 'mother' when commenting on her lack of love. So they must be the same person.

Lakan, based on his hints to Jinshi about how to devalue a high-grade courtesan and Maomao's relevant explanation to Jinshi, probably raped Maomao's mother and then used his rank and/or money to shut her mouth.
What's not yet clear is if Maomao knows this and that he's her biological father.

I assume she does, but perhaps the others in the brothel do not. Everyone called him 'weirdo' after all, as if he was unrelated to Maomao. Perhaps that was by design, to keep us guessing..
Feb 24, 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
As someone who recently saw a documentary about syphilis this actually hit pretty hard. Not only was it incurable back then it is also one of the most absurd disseases, goin from light symptoms to completely eating you physically in mentally once it kicks in.

The show does not hold back

First issue i have so far tho, the manga did that 1 scene a lot better. THis was just 2 fast/had no impact, also cause of no sound. This was one of the rare times that I thought the manga did it way better. Which actually sucks because it could have been one of the most impactful scenes done well. They try to make her look ''angry/scary'' while in the manga she actually had way more emotion than just anger. Lot of repressed ones.
removed-userFeb 24, 11:48 AM
Feb 24, 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Ri-KoRin

The manga did the scene way better. The menacing stance and stare were reduced to a split-second jumpscare.
@Ri-KoRin oh someone already posted about this. Yeah I completely agree. As I said in my previous post I feel this scene had like no impact while the original one had so much pend up anger/fear/sadness etc.
Feb 24, 2:58 PM

Jun 2014
The dirty man with the monocle is indeed, Maomao's biological father.

What will happen to Maomao if that man approaches her?

Mar 2, 3:11 AM

Jul 2017
After Maomao's crude but honest reply to Jinshi of decreasing a courtesan's values, she doesn't want harm to him, even after all the effort he put as a disguise.

Back at the Verdigris House, Maomao resides there for her short break to help oversee a courtesan who's been inflicted with a disease. On top of that, the other servants and courtesns are helping Maomao keep her distance away from Lakan, and once again, he would come to the House to try find her, though Meimei and the others do a fine job at keeping him at bay. On the other hand, Jinshi has his own business to deal to, and passes Maomao a bottle of weird stuff to share with Suiren, though she maintains her stance. Aside from that, nothing gazes Suiren's eye, and for Maomao, her eye is always on the poison.

Aside from the other mundane issues, Jinshi knowing Lakan as a rather impressive eunuch and doctor, and his intent is pretty much to get back Maomao at all costs as his biological daughter. The shrewd man's tactics aside, he knows that he doesn't want to admit Lakan to her, and her momentary stern expression is one critical answer. Regarding Suirei however, her wanting to make a medicine to resurrect a dead person, it's an assumption, but Suirei might be for real.

Maomao's stern expression is a jumpscare of the most frightening scale so far.
Mar 3, 3:11 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow very interesting episode for Maomao's backstory and situation, so it seems like that sick women might be her mother while Lakan is her father :o
Mar 4, 12:45 AM

Oct 2013
There were subtle hints revealed before the final confirmation... Lakan is not only connected to Maomao's past. He's her biological father. 😭 And on top of that, he's aware of it, and even know about Jinshi's real identity. I wonder if Suirei is his daughter? She's kinda weird and I see some similarities between her, Maomao and Lakan. If true, then that'd make her Maomao's step-sister.
Mar 16, 6:25 AM
Jul 2022
Wanted to see the face for longer rip
Mar 18, 3:29 PM

Aug 2012
Reply to ScarRufus
Jump scare Maomao holy shit

A lot of interesting reveals, but also mystery.

It seems the next episode something really big will happen.
@ScarRufus Thank you for providing the image of Maomao.
I thought the jump scare was a good fit! I kept trying to see her expression, but it was too quick to pause.

Mar 18, 10:29 PM

Oct 2017
I hate Lakan dude and I couldn't even contemplate the jumpscaring face because it was reduced only to one second. I couldn't get the frame entirely till I got here. Reaching this point I was hoping for some change from the way Maomao see Jinshi, however I can notice that she's starting to ask things about him like who he actually is and why he does the things he does.(Honestly it isn't she clever enough to not notice anything about Jinshi real identity? After all this time it's extremely weird. I would believe it more if u would tell she was only pretending not to actual notice )
But aside that pure curiosity nothing romantically speaking. I mean I know this is not romance, I knew it but I get the feeling we could get something subtle. At the same time I don't want her to discover any romantic feelings inside her yet...Slow burn is right I hope they won't let it get completely cold at least.
Ant161718Mar 18, 10:38 PM
-¡Give yourself to me!
Mar 21, 4:03 PM
May 2020
Empieza el drama, se acbaron las tonterias
Mar 27, 10:16 AM
Mar 2017
First time ever seeing such an effective jumpscare in an anime. Perfect for the rising tension and the unsettling atmosphere.
Mar 30, 1:15 AM

Jun 2020
Why was their Maomao fanservice?? Well this episode at least had a lot else to offer, confirming that Lakan is Maomao's dad and also that Maomao hates his guts. I hope that there is more to their relationship other than what he did to her mom obviously. My favorite moment was Maomao saying thank you to Jinshi when he said the drink was from a weirdo lmao. And I'm really questioning what's up with Suirei after that ending scene.

I have to say I'm super pissed off about

Apr 10, 2:40 AM

Jul 2013
Maomao used conqueror's haki on Jinshi lol
Apr 10, 10:03 PM
Jul 2021
that was a CRAZY epi
Apr 11, 12:29 AM
Mar 2024
THAT SCENE gave me chills bro
Apr 11, 5:49 AM
Sep 2015
Well I personally found that reveal to be shocking, my heart dropped
May 20, 7:29 PM
Jul 2020
every episode is getting darker and i'm here for it
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.