Edit Manga Information

Volumes: 3
Chapters: 12
Status: Finished
Published: Feb 12, 2011 to May 30, 2011
Authors: Magica Quartet (Story), Hanokage (Art)
Serialization: None

Score: 8.161 (scored by 13406 users)
2 based on the top manga page. Please note that 'R18+' titles are excluded.
Favorites: 1,201

Nov 15, 2012
looseleaftea (All reviews)
Let me just start off by saying that I read this before watching the anime which isn't what a lot of people did (since the anime came first before the manga) so my heart lies with the manga rather than the anime (though I do love both)

There are some scenes (minor things, nothing too big) that were added into the manga that aren't in the anime that REALLY makes me wish that everyone would take the time to read this, even if they have already seen the anime. I think they just add this little touch that makes things so much more powerful, especially read more
Jun 22, 2013
Nyappon (All reviews)
I am notorious for picking up manga, reading halfway, and then dropping them. Waiting a few months, maybe read a few more chapters, drop them again. I will have you know that Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica is the only manga I have ever read continuously without stopping. I honestly read all 12 chapters/3 volumes in one sitting.

Starting with the story, I found it extremely original. The idea of "magical girls" has obviously been done before, but never like this. A single wish puts these young girls at the heart of demise, struggling to fight the despair in the world in order to save others. Their powers read more
Jul 26, 2012
jessifer (All reviews)
As someone who watched the anime first, I found the manga to be equally entertaining.

The manga is much shorter than the anime, with each episode compressed into one chapter. However, this does not detract from the story much at all.

Personally, I found the manga art style better than the anime. The manga art style was very expressive and helped convey the characters' emotions beautifully. The witch labyrinths were not as effective as in the anime, but still very surreal.

Even if you haven't watched the anime, the manga is still a brilliant read. I would recommend that you read this now.
Aug 21, 2011
Cetais (All reviews)
I just saw there were any review, so I decided to make one. My English is not the best, but I do what I can.

So far, the story is the same from the anime. Maybe there's some differences in dialogs, but so far, it's the same. For me, I think that Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is a "Chef-d'oeuvre", the story is well develloped, there's no plot hole, and it's really a fun read.

The art is really good and cute, the witch and familiars too. In the anime, it was real picture, but in this, the drawing give them a cute but deadly look.

The character read more
Apr 9, 2016
14clock3 (All reviews)
as of writing this review, i still have not watched the anime. i have read the manga first.

when i first picked up this manga, i thought it was going to have some sort of sailor-moon vibe ish, where magic girls are just going to fight off evil and it was going to be cliche, however it wasn't that at all, and that is why i really like this manga. there are so many plot twists in this manga it was ridiculous.

i do have to say, i did have a bit of a hard time trying to understand the story, and even to this day of read more
Nov 23, 2013
Ren-chan (All reviews)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (or Puella Magi Madoka Magica as it is called in English) was a great story from beginning to end. Having watched the anime first, I knew what to expect when reading the manga, but as it goes with these things, reading different interpretations of the same source material never ceases to amaze me. I believe I look for the subtle differences between interpretations.

Anyway, onto the review.

Magical girls fight witches. A cat-like creature named Kyubey grants their wishes and they become magical girls. Without spoiling anything, that is the basic review. There are twists and turns, and if you expect this to be read more
May 13, 2013
Netbug (All reviews)
Like the artist herself mentioned in a side note, the manga adaptation of the insanely popular Puella Magi Madoka Magika anime was kept on a tight leash. The entire anthology for the dense 13 episode anime is 3 volumes, and while the artist does a fantastic job with what she has, It feels like her page limit was working against her.

Overall, I wish I could give this adaptation a better rating, but it just feels very rushed. I wouldn't recommend reading it before watching the original anime.
Jun 22, 2014
guilts51 (All reviews)
This manga is the one of many mangas out there that I really like. First of al I want to said about the story. Madoka Magica has a complex but well told story. And the whole story itself is well built with an enormous ending that you can't expect with. The death, the twist and everything! Many things in here that you may never thinking about so it's hard to guess the story unless you had read all the series and that is what makes the story really good. And last, I love the originality of this series, since there were no mangas that had read more
Dec 3, 2012
toothpasted (All reviews)
Madoka Magica is a fresh take on the magical girl genre and an unholy union of shoujo and horror.
Story/ Plot (8): The story is actually quite good. The plot is something creative, something that we've never really seen before. There are commonly utilized plot devices like character death and dreams, but the combination of this with the horror aspect of the witches and deception actually creates a really good manga recipe.
Art (10): The art of this series is absolutely gorgeous. It's minimalisitic and well defined and it knows what it wants to be. It's shoujo to the max--little girls with round faces and huge read more
Sep 30, 2016
MangaGreat (All reviews)
I really did not like this manga.

The first and foremost problem is that it’s difficult to read due to it seemingly being very disjointed. It jumps from scene to scene and explanation to explanation with little to no smooth transition making everything seem very abrupt.

The same reading difficulty actually applies to much of the manga content itself. This manga does a piss-poor job of explaining the plot and circumstances. It does an even worse job with character development. Most of the time, it seem like the author is rushing through the manga at break-neck pace and decided to ignore explanation of details for a clearer read more
Apr 19, 2017
daniel_franke (All reviews)
I have already seen the anime beforehand, and I am not one to read manga. My perspective might be a bit biased because of that, but I feel like sticking to the anime is the best option.

The manga version still does a good job of feeling and looking like the actual anime, as the story remains relatively the same and the art style is not only perfectly replicating what the anime was stylized like, but in my opinion even outdoes the anime artistically. However, the manga is shorter than the anime, and the anime was already constrained to only 12 episodes total with almost every read more