Forum Settings
Forums
New
7 hours ago
Feb 2015
I usually have no issue getting into the highly lauded anime hits, but this one is different, I just can’t with this one. I don’t see the appeal at all. I watched 5 episodes and nothing cool has happened and as far as emotions go it just doesn’t hold a candle to other shows. The premise is cool, but watching Freiren walk around and talk to fairly generic fantasy characters in a fairly generic fantasy world isn’t that fun for me. There is no interesting mystery or scary villainous threat to make me want to continue and see what happens next. But yet everyone’s talking about it saying it’s the next big thing and I’m just huh? Why? Nothing happens. The plot is as dry as it gets!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
7 hours ago
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
not everyone has to like everything, moreover i think it's so accoladed because of its beauty visuals and the subtle message, it's more SOL with fantasy elements for me wth a twinge of adventure...if you don't like it...you don't like it ..there's nothing to miss out per se

thank you
sekai-
7 hours ago

Sep 2018
I think the chics really like the pretty boys in frieren and can insert as Fern
The male appeal I guess would be the cute awkward elf heroine. Not everyone is going to agree with Mal scores and that is normal. I despised Wolf Children despite the score.
6 hours ago

Dec 2015
wait wait, so you watched it only because you've thought/was told that it is cool?

When you finish it you'll get what people has said, or maybe you'll disagree. That's why I ain't a fan of people who create reviews after 2-5-x episodes, what's the point of it? It's the same as rating a movie halfway through before you understand that.

[As an example - Just a few minutes ago I've finished watching Forrest Gump and that was my first time watching it, if I would have yoru logic I would just quit watching within first few minutes of the movie and say how bs it is, but I've went through and watched a whole movie, which I liked it alot, aswell as it broke me emotionally in few places. And I am thankful that for no known reason I haven't watched it earlier as I don't think I would understand/feel that movie the same way I've felt it a while ago.]
Zettaiken6 hours ago
6 hours ago

Apr 2020
Expectations were probably unrealistically high
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
6 hours ago

May 2021
Im so glad I watched Frieren weekly instead of binging it. Thats why I can connect a lot of what happened together in long span of time, and really appreciate each episode. If I watched it now I would find it boring too.
6 hours ago

Jul 2024
I don't like fantasy and isekai medieval settings and sad stories..
Thats what made me drop it off after episode 1..
6 hours ago
Jul 2021
You have terminal shonen brain, my condolonces. I hope you can live out the rest of your life as comfortably as possible. <3
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to Zettaiken
wait wait, so you watched it only because you've thought/was told that it is cool?

When you finish it you'll get what people has said, or maybe you'll disagree. That's why I ain't a fan of people who create reviews after 2-5-x episodes, what's the point of it? It's the same as rating a movie halfway through before you understand that.

[As an example - Just a few minutes ago I've finished watching Forrest Gump and that was my first time watching it, if I would have yoru logic I would just quit watching within first few minutes of the movie and say how bs it is, but I've went through and watched a whole movie, which I liked it alot, aswell as it broke me emotionally in few places. And I am thankful that for no known reason I haven't watched it earlier as I don't think I would understand/feel that movie the same way I've felt it a while ago.]
@Zettaiken Facts. The world and character building to go along with the story is masterful in Frieren, it's almost like it's the anime version of lord of the rings, it's that good. It sounds like OP just wants a main stream action shounen or something lmao
5 hours ago

Apr 2013
Mate, your favourite show is Naruto. You're like, at the exact opposite side of the spectrum of viewers compared to which audience Frieren is going to appeal to.
5 hours ago

Jan 2010
You are not missing anything, tastes are different in every people and you don't need to seek an explanation. Drop it and move on.
5 hours ago

Apr 2020
Reply to Zefyris
Mate, your favourite show is Naruto. You're like, at the exact opposite side of the spectrum of viewers compared to which audience Frieren is going to appeal to.
@Zefyris

Naruto is famous for its emotional and poignant moments. The real problem here is his love for boruto
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
5 hours ago

Oct 2013
Reply to Zefyris
@Zefyris Don't see how that's relevant. Fast paced action is my bread and butter, but I'm no stranger to also watching things that don't fall in line with that, including slow burn shows like Frieren. And I couldn't get through it either.
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
-Crimson- said:
Facts. The world and character building to go along with the story is masterful in Frieren
Really? Coz i found both of them nigh-non-existent let alone tlotr's level.
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
-Crimson- said:
Facts. The world and character building to go along with the story is masterful in Frieren
Really? Coz i found both of them nigh-non-existent let alone tlotr's level.
@TRC_Randy I didn't say it was on lotrs level, but the portrayal is similar and it is still damn amazing.
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy I didn't say it was on lotrs level, but the portrayal is similar and it is still damn amazing.
@-Crimson- you said
-Crimson- said:
it's almost like it's the anime version of lord of the rings, it's that good.
yeah yeah, ik you said "almost" there but still it's NOWHERE near tlotr. That's what i'm saying.
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
@-Crimson- you said
-Crimson- said:
yeah yeah, ik you said "almost" there but still it's NOWHERE near tlotr. That's what i'm saying.
@TRC_Randy I didnt even say almost. I said it was anime lotr which can mean anything.
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
@-Crimson- you said
-Crimson- said:
@TRC_Randy I'm not the only one who has compared the two series, a simple search will you show that frieren and lotr is being compared by the dozens.
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy I didnt even say almost. I said it was anime lotr which can mean anything.
@-Crimson- BRUH what the hell are you talking about? These were your own words
-Crimson- said:
5 hours ago

Nov 2021
I think reading Boruto gave you brain worms mate
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
@-Crimson- BRUH what the hell are you talking about? These were your own words
-Crimson- said:
@TRC_Randy BRUH REREAD it with your own head. I never said it was "ON THE LEVEL" anywhere there. Your brain is the only thing perceiving it that way.
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy BRUH REREAD it with your own head. I never said it was "ON THE LEVEL" anywhere there. Your brain is the only thing perceiving it that way.
-Crimson- said:
I never said it was "ON THE LEVEL" anywhere there.
I never said that you said "it was ""ON THE LEVEL"" anywhere there. YOUR brain is the only thing perceiving it that way.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to -Crimson-
@Zettaiken Facts. The world and character building to go along with the story is masterful in Frieren, it's almost like it's the anime version of lord of the rings, it's that good. It sounds like OP just wants a main stream action shounen or something lmao
@-Crimson- 5 episodes in and it certainly doesn’t feel as dark as Lord of the Rings…should I continue?
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to Krystopher
@-Crimson- 5 episodes in and it certainly doesn’t feel as dark as Lord of the Rings…should I continue?
@Krystopher Considering your prior comment, your opinion is pretty irrelevant at this point.
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
-Crimson- said:
I never said it was "ON THE LEVEL" anywhere there.
I never said that you said "it was ""ON THE LEVEL"" anywhere there. YOUR brain is the only thing perceiving it that way.
@TRC_Randy Nice try buddy. "but still it's NOWHERE near tlotr." Nowhere "near" lotr is the exact same thing is saying on the level and don't try to twist it you know exactly what you were getting at when you said this. What I was saying had nothing to do with neither of the series being "as good" as each other.
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
-Crimson- said:
I'm not the only one who has compared the two series
nowhere did i say "@-Crimson- is the only person who has compared the two series".
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
-Crimson- said:
I'm not the only one who has compared the two series
nowhere did i say "@-Crimson- is the only person who has compared the two series".
@TRC_Randy LMFAO I didn't say you did hahahaha now you are just pointing out the obvious, troll.
5 hours ago
Aug 2024
You are too young and dumb. Come back in 10 years after you get some education.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to -Crimson-
@Krystopher Considering your prior comment, your opinion is pretty irrelevant at this point.
@-Crimson- Right off the bat in Lord of the Rings we have the plot to bring a ring to Mordor and have scary creatures and wizards coming after the crew then we get these giant epic wars. So far in Freiren she is just walking around remembering things and picking flowers and one shotting generic fantasy monsters. All of that is fine if it had a little more interesting plot. Maybe if I continue it will pick up but so far it’s been quite boring.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
I’m not trying to dis Freiren I actually want to like it!
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to Krystopher
@-Crimson- Right off the bat in Lord of the Rings we have the plot to bring a ring to Mordor and have scary creatures and wizards coming after the crew then we get these giant epic wars. So far in Freiren she is just walking around remembering things and picking flowers and one shotting generic fantasy monsters. All of that is fine if it had a little more interesting plot. Maybe if I continue it will pick up but so far it’s been quite boring.
@Krystopher As is the mind of an action-shounen watcher, simplistic. Yes, yes.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to -Crimson-
@Krystopher As is the mind of an action-shounen watcher, simplistic. Yes, yes.
@-Crimson- I’m an everything watcher as long as it’s entertaining and fun. Maybe I just need to watch more to finally understand!
Krystopher5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
-Crimson- said:
Nowhere "near" lotr is the exact same thing is saying on the level and don't try to twist it you know exactly what you were getting at when you said this.
bruh what nonsense are you on about? "Near" and "almost" are just interchangable whereas "on the level" is indicating "similar" if not "equal" but the issue is i never used the latter words. YOU did, and then accused ME of using it. That's YOUR error.
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to Krystopher
@-Crimson- I’m an everything watcher as long as it’s entertaining and fun. Maybe I just need to watch more to finally understand!
@Krystopher Let me tell you, I love mainstream action shounens to get my fill of intense action, and I almost dropped Frieren after the first episode yeah it was close, but I pushed through it and my opinion changed so fast it is indeed worthy of it's score IMO. The best of all time is subjective, but it is damn good.
5 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
-Crimson- said:
Nowhere "near" lotr is the exact same thing is saying on the level and don't try to twist it you know exactly what you were getting at when you said this.
bruh what nonsense are you on about? "Near" and "almost" are just interchangable whereas "on the level" is indicating "similar" if not "equal" but the issue is i never used the latter words. YOU did, and then accused ME of using it. That's YOUR error.
@TRC_Randy Sorry dude, but you are the only one choosing to complicate things, you chose to see my comment as something completely opposite to what it actually meant, further continuation of this discussion is pointless.
5 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy LMFAO I didn't say you did hahahaha now you are just pointing out the obvious, troll.
-Crimson- said:
I didn't say you did
then why say it?

-Crimson- said:
hahahaha now you are just pointing out the obvious, troll.
indeed trolls would say sth like this. I didn't.
5 hours ago
Nov 2017
Reply to rohan121
I think the chics really like the pretty boys in frieren and can insert as Fern
The male appeal I guess would be the cute awkward elf heroine. Not everyone is going to agree with Mal scores and that is normal. I despised Wolf Children despite the score.
@rohan121 dunno man, I like Freiren for the concept, because its rather unexplored territory as far as the genre goes
5 hours ago

Jun 2019
It was a 6/10 series for me personally.

I watch many 6/10-tier series. 6s and 7s are the two most common ratings I give out. I wouldn't do so if I didn't have some level of interest and derive some measure of enjoyment from them. But that's just an average-ish rating, so for me it's very much in line with a lot of other seasonal fare and quite overrated in the rankings on MAL, yes.
5 hours ago

Oct 2010
you have to be either an obsessed otaku girl with no life or a moe blob fan to like this show. I guess you are neither.
4 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy Sorry dude, but you are the only one choosing to complicate things, you chose to see my comment as something completely opposite to what it actually meant, further continuation of this discussion is pointless.
-Crimson- said:
Sorry dude, but you are the only one choosing to complicated things
that was YOU my friend. You denied saying "almost". But you DID say "almost". That was YOUR fault. This wouldn't have been complicated if you'd just admitted what you did. That's all.
4 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to Catalano
you have to be either an obsessed otaku girl with no life or a moe blob fan to like this show. I guess you are neither.
@Catalano This has got to be most trash take in this thread thus far.
4 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
-Crimson- said:
Sorry dude, but you are the only one choosing to complicated things
that was YOU my friend. You denied saying "almost". But you DID say "almost". That was YOUR fault. This wouldn't have been complicated if you'd just admitted what you did. That's all.
@TRC_Randy Yikes, this discussion is over. You clearly can't perceive anything correctly in your mind if that's your take lol Sorry, you are wrong and were wrong. There was no need for your complicated mess of comments. I'm not your friend, buddy.
4 hours ago

Jun 2024
Maybe it's not the type of show for you. I don't know if powering through it will be worth it for you. Maybe find another anime to watch.
4 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy Yikes, this discussion is over. You clearly can't perceive anything correctly in your mind if that's your take lol Sorry, you are wrong and were wrong. There was no need for your complicated mess of comments. I'm not your friend, buddy.
@-Crimson- classic "my intellect is not high enough to rationally engage with the opposition's statements and my arrogance is too big to admit my own mistake so imma just back out and personally attack him and paint him as the bad guy instead".
4 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
@-Crimson- classic "my intellect is not high enough to rationally engage with the opposition's statements and my arrogance is too big to admit my own mistake so imma just back out and personally attack him and paint him as the bad guy instead".
@TRC_Randy Classic i'm going to insult someone because of my own mistake I made, so I'll concede the argument and stoop to lowly insults rather than admit that "I was the one that was wrong" Good one, sir.
-Crimson-4 hours ago
4 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy Classic i'm going to insult someone because of my own mistake I made, so I'll concede the argument and stoop to lowly insults rather than admit that "I was the one that was wrong" Good one, sir.
@-Crimson- there he goes again. He said "this discussion is over" yet continues replying and pulls out the "he insulted me" victim card. WOW.
4 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
@-Crimson- there he goes again. He said "this discussion is over" yet continues replying and pulls out the "he insulted me" victim card. WOW.
@TRC_Randy I'm saying a card is pulled when it's a matter of fact. Those who stoop to lowly insults automatically concede. That's how it is. RIP you.
4 hours ago

Aug 2020
Reply to -Crimson-
@TRC_Randy I'm saying a card is pulled when it's a matter of fact. Those who stoop to lowly insults automatically concede. That's how it is. RIP you.
@-Crimson- and again he replies. Man, the hypocrisy...

TRC_Randy3 hours ago
4 hours ago

Feb 2009
Reply to TRC_Randy
@-Crimson- and again he replies. Man, the hypocrisy...

@TRC_Randy Awwww what a shame that is, such hypocrisy, much unfortunate, wow.
4 hours ago

Oct 2013
Whether you like Tolkien's literature or not, comparing Frieren to Lord of the Rings is extremely insulting to the latter work of art in pretty much everything. LotR is leagues above Frieren, and I'm not only talking here about cultural significance. Worldbuilding, narration, care for details, characters, themes... And many more.

I don't get why a lot of people have been comparing Frieren to LotR, and complained after somebody pointed out that these two good works of art are simply way too different in terms of technical quality to be compared fairly, without any risk of being ridiculed by people who are at least moderately into fantasy genre.

About the original post's content, perhaps this anime is not for you, @Krystopher. It is one of those iyashikei stories, just set in a high fantasy world, coated with good animation and visuals accompanying the journey. One will like it, but someone else won't. It's okay if it is not your cup of tea. I don't think it's that good either, even if I rather enjoyed watching it in general.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How do you, personally, determine an anime's rating?

nsav - 28 minutes ago

2 by ShatteredSans »»
2 minutes ago

» What the last time you cried for an anime? ( 1 2 )

Zakatsuki_ - Aug 16

75 by eblf2013 »»
4 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 4 )

707supremacist - May 5

164 by Pg13_ »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you consider an anime good if it is able to make you cry?

nirererin - Today

48 by Rissenicus »»
47 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 )

nirererin - Aug 16

130 by nirererin »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.