Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 2, 5:27 AM

Jan 2009
since a lot of fans thinks shonen are all the same and is a genre for whatever reason then what about frieren now?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 2, 5:35 AM
Oct 2020
Umm actually (had to do it), stuff like this were alrwady in the shonen genre, for example, your lie in April, so it's not really a new thing, and tbh, it feels weird how shonen has turned into the everything genre
Jan 2, 5:38 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to CrunchyCrobat
Umm actually (had to do it), stuff like this were alrwady in the shonen genre, for example, your lie in April, so it's not really a new thing, and tbh, it feels weird how shonen has turned into the everything genre
@CrunchyCrobat you lie is april has action though? and you did it too you called shonen a genre but im not gonna correct you on that
Jan 2, 5:39 AM
Jul 2023
not all shounen are battle shounen.
Jan 2, 5:39 AM
Apr 2017
Frieren is not shounen. Your lie in April is not shounen. Why the hell are people giving examples of shounen with anime that aren’t shounen. In recent times only really unique shounen I can think of is Mob Psycho 100 (Vinland Saga or AoT aren’t shounen either).
Jan 2, 5:40 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Anifan01
Frieren is not shounen. Your lie in April is not shounen. Why the hell are people giving examples of shounen with anime that aren’t shounen. In recent times only really unique shounen I can think of is Mob Psycho 100 (Vinland Saga or AoT aren’t shounen either).
@Anifan01 its manga is release in a shonen magazine https://myanimelist.net/manga/126287/Sousou_no_Frieren
Jan 2, 5:40 AM
Oct 2020
deg said:
@CrunchyCrobat you lie is april has action though? and you did it too you called shonen a genre but im not gonna correct you on that

I was gonna add the "yes I know it's a demographic" but forgot, but still, feels pretty weird for it to there, also action in your lie in April? Did we watch the same show or did action's definitions change?
Jan 2, 5:41 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to savinduzx
not all shounen are battle shounen.
@savinduzx true but then the term battle shonen is a made up term by western fans nobody in japan calls them battle shonen
Jan 2, 5:42 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to CrunchyCrobat
deg said:

I was gonna add the "yes I know it's a demographic" but forgot, but still, feels pretty weird for it to there, also action in your lie in April? Did we watch the same show or did action's definitions change?
@CrunchyCrobat no idea lol i have not watch you lie in april thats why i ask
Apr 2017

It’s not shounen
May 2016
Anifan01 said:

Both Sousou no Frieren and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso are shounen. The same way as Runway de Waratte.
Jan 2, 5:43 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Anifan01

It’s not shounen
@Anifan01 shonens, seinens, etc are labels for what magazine it was release
Jan 2, 5:51 AM
Apr 2017
deg said:

Shounen is a Japanese term. It means boy. YLIA is not a shounen. It’s a slice of life or romance. I’m not talking about technicality here. Cause you are right since it was released in shounen magazine it’s technically right to call it a shounen but anyone who has seen YLIA will not think of Shounen when you ask them what genre it is. The whole point of genre is to give you an idea of what the story is about and saying YLIA is Shounen doesn’t give you that idea because YLIA is a Romance, a tragedy a slice of life, music related anime and even comedy to some extent. Same for Frieren. If you ask someone what genre Frieren is ain’t nobody gonna say it’s Shounen. Frieren is fantasy, slice of life hell it’s not even action even though it has action in it because the action is not the main focus of the story.
Jan 2, 5:51 AM
Jul 2022
the only people who say "shounen are all the same" are some kids with eigth grade symptom pretending to be adults and to only like seinen with a Johan Liebert profile picture
there are way too many anime in various genres that are considered shounen as to say theyre all the same
Jan 2, 5:53 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Anifan01
deg said:

Shounen is a Japanese term. It means boy. YLIA is not a shounen. It’s a slice of life or romance. I’m not talking about technicality here. Cause you are right since it was released in shounen magazine it’s technically right to call it a shounen but anyone who has seen YLIA will not think of Shounen when you ask them what genre it is. The whole point of genre is to give you an idea of what the story is about and saying YLIA is Shounen doesn’t give you that idea because YLIA is a Romance, a tragedy a slice of life, music related anime and even comedy to some extent. Same for Frieren. If you ask someone what genre Frieren is ain’t nobody gonna say it’s Shounen. Frieren is fantasy, slice of life hell it’s not even action even though it has action in it because the action is not the main focus of the story.
@Anifan01 your mistake is calling shonen a genre and not just a demographic
degJan 2, 6:00 AM
Jan 2, 5:58 AM

Feb 2012
To Your Eternity came earlier.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 2, 6:00 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to Anifan01
deg said:

@Anifan01 100% agree with this man here

It's nice to see there is some critical thinking on the forums after all.

If something has a retarded label you shouldn't use it to refer to it.

Want to see how GOOD tagging is done? go to anilist. See how friEren doesn't have the shounen tag at the top but jujustu kaisen does.
This site has no idea how to tag anime.

What other important tag is missing here? Iyashikei
AnimeIs4KidzJan 2, 6:14 AM
Jan 2, 6:02 AM
May 2016
Anifan01 said:
deg said:

That is actually incorrect, because shounen is not a genre. And btw Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso js not a Slice of Life anime, but yes, it is a shounen.
Jan 2, 6:05 AM

Apr 2020
Ok, ignoring everything written above, I'll say that it's 𝘯𝘰𝘵 unique, but certainly an unusual kind of story you'd normally not find in a shonen magazine.
Jan 2, 6:07 AM
Nov 2020
It’s fantasy and drama with shounen elements like the tournament arc.
Jan 2, 6:12 AM
Mar 2023
Shounen is a demography, it's often associated with action Animes that only have fights, that's why the "shounens are all the same" is a thing
There's a lot of romances and other type of Animes that are shounen, yet people don't call them that because it's not on the fighting genre.
Conclusion, frieren is not a different type of shounen
Jan 2, 6:23 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to AnimeIs4Kidz
@Anifan01 100% agree with this man here

It's nice to see there is some critical thinking on the forums after all.

If something has a retarded label you shouldn't use it to refer to it.

Want to see how GOOD tagging is done? go to anilist. See how friEren doesn't have the shounen tag at the top but jujustu kaisen does.
This site has no idea how to tag anime.

What other important tag is missing here? Iyashikei
@AnimeIs4Kidz who tags them on anilist though is it the staff or the users?
Jan 2, 6:32 AM

Aug 2020
deg said:
@savinduzx true but then the term battle shonen is a made up term by western fans nobody in japan calls them battle shonen

you'll find that all terms are "made up" by someone. it's a useful label, so people use it, language isn't prescribed from some higher authority, it's created by the people who use it, and it regularly changes.
Call me Ren
Jan 2, 6:34 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Render_1
deg said:

you'll find that all terms are "made up" by someone. it's a useful label, so people use it, language isn't prescribed from some higher authority, it's created by the people who use it, and it regularly changes.
@Render_1 sure but there is conflict in definitions with how japan and the rest of the world sees shonen now is it?
Jan 2, 6:38 AM

Jan 2009
@Asgopa i guess that is true shonen and battle shonen (even if its just a made up western term) should have different meanings
Jan 2, 6:39 AM

Aug 2020
deg said:
@Render_1 sure but there is conflict in definitions with how japan and the rest of the world sees shonen now is it?

which is fine? mal doesn't have a large Japanese user base, it'd be weird to use it in a conversation with someone Japanese, but they'd be equally confused if you started speaking English half way through.

loan words are rarely, if ever, used accurately to their native languages. if someone says battle shounen, we all know what they mean, and it's often FAR more useful than describing a show as shounen the demographic because yeah, there's so much variety.

would saying battle anime or just action maybe make more sense? probably, but that doesn't make battle shounen problematic. also, who is the rest of the world in this context? why don't they understand? if it's because they don't speak English, I think they've got bigger problems trying to understand than a weird usage of a loan word.
Call me Ren
Jan 2, 6:42 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Render_1
deg said:

which is fine? mal doesn't have a large Japanese user base, it'd be weird to use it in a conversation with someone Japanese, but they'd be equally confused if you started speaking English half way through.

loan words are rarely, if ever, used accurately to their native languages. if someone says battle shounen, we all know what they mean, and it's often FAR more useful than describing a show as shounen the demographic because yeah, there's so much variety.

would saying battle anime or just action maybe make more sense? probably, but that doesn't make battle shounen problematic. also, who is the rest of the world in this context? why don't they understand? if it's because they don't speak English, I think they've got bigger problems trying to understand than a weird usage of a loan word.
@Render_1 the thing is anime is made by japan so they do not label any shonen as battle shonen thats the problem i see here and that gets confusing since frieren is shonen in japan
Jan 2, 6:46 AM
Dec 2020
ultimately it's the author (or writer/s if it's an original anime) that decides whether it's a shounen or not. All shounen means is that it's targeted to a younger male audience, so if that's who the author/writer was targeting it towards then it's a shounen. in other words it's all decided by who the target audience was, not necessarily the the content of the anime (although that obviously plays a role).
Jan 2, 6:46 AM

Aug 2020
deg said:
@Render_1 the thing is anime is made by japan so they do not label any shonen as battle shonen thats the problem i see here and that gets confusing since frieren is shonen in japan

I don't disagree with you that frieren is a shounen, it is, you're objectively right. I just don't agree with your take on battle shounen not being a useful term, though I wouldn't personally add it as a genre or theme on mal, its just useful in conversation.
Call me Ren
Jan 2, 6:48 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Render_1
deg said:

I don't disagree with you that frieren is a shounen, it is, you're objectively right. I just don't agree with your take on battle shounen not being a useful term, though I wouldn't personally add it as a genre or theme on mal, its just useful in conversation.
@Render_1 why though? i would personally add it as a genre on mal to avoid confusion that shonen and battle shonen are the same
Jan 2, 6:50 AM

Aug 2020
deg said:
@Render_1 why though? i would personally add it as a genre on mal to avoid confusion that shonen and battle shonen are the same

The mobile app should just be updated to better reflect the desktop version, where shounen is clearly labeled as a demographic, unlike on mobile where they are all just listed together. If that was the case, adding battle / battle shounen wpuld be fine.

If people sitll got confused at that point, then it's kinda on them.
Call me Ren
Jan 2, 7:08 AM
Mar 2021
I'd say it's unique in the sense that no show (that I'm aware of) has tackled the same themes on the same level Frieren has.

of course you can find a bunch of fantasy shows but if we are talking direction and the tone of the story, nothing I've personally seen is like Frieren.
Jan 2, 7:26 AM
Dec 2020
@Asgopa the author decides initially but the editors have the final say on it just like they have the final say on a lot of things when adaptions are made, though I do understand what you mean. I should have included that in my original post so thank you :)
Jan 2, 7:37 AM
Dec 2021
deg said:
since a lot of fans thinks shonen are all the same and is a genre for whatever reason then what about frieren now?

Does this look like a Shounen to you!?
LIKE BRUH, WAKE UP!
Jan 2, 7:41 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Bijou146
deg said:

Does this look like a Shounen to you!?
LIKE BRUH, WAKE UP!
@Bijou146 read the arguments above to find out
Jan 2, 7:52 AM
Nov 2022
Anifan01 said:

Those are 3 great shonens. I would recommend them all to people.
Jan 2, 7:59 AM

Mar 2021
Shounen is a demographic, not a genre. All it means is that the show is geared towards a male audience between the ages 10-18. So, to answer your question, no Frieren is not unique as there are plenty of other anime that are geared towards the Shounen demographic that aren't just the action genre. Examples of this would be, A Silent Voice, Slam Dunk, Great Teacher Onizuka, Your Lie In April, Bakuman, Nichijou, Beck, and Welcome To The Ballroom.
Jan 2, 8:28 AM
Nov 2023
CrunchyCrobat said:
deg said:

I dont regret it but i am laughing seriously

like u right man people really changing action defination haha
Jan 2, 9:03 AM

Jan 2009
also battle shonen is called nekketsu in japan
Jan 2, 9:15 AM
Nov 2021
you can call shows like aot, frieren,etc "shounen" all you want but it would make the whole genre point of view useless as all of the shows would boil down to just four of them
Jan 2, 9:19 AM
Jul 2021
Let me propose another answer to the original topic : why should we care?

A lot of people explained it earlier, Shonen, Shojo, Seinen or Josei are not genre but demographic targets. What kind of population does the editor want to sell to the most, based on gender and age criterias. A decision that is reflected by the category of magazine the manga is published in at first.

Now, why should we not care about those age and gender categories?
For the age aspect, I recognize some kind of coherence : by their themes and potential mature content (be it sexual or violence), mangas will target different kinds of audience : you won't (in theory) show blood and gore to a teenager. But then, how do we categorize mangas that evolved during their writing ? going from something "public friendly" to more mature themes and dynamics ?

Now for the question of gender, I think there's no need to remind you the stereotypical nature of categorizing things as "for boy" or "for girls", or to remind you that Japan is a rather conservative (actually super conservative) country when it comes to gender equality and enforcing gender roles.
Deciding that "this show is for boys, this one is for girls" is just an arbitrary decision that is far from representative of what people actually like.

The conclusion of this being that we should not care if a manga or anime is categorized as "Shonen" or "Shojo" or I don't know what. These categories are absolutely not representative of their content and so, aren't relevant at all.

Let's just enjoy what we like and share positive things about it !
Jan 2, 10:38 AM
Feb 2021
Anifan01 said:
deg said:

romance and slice of life are genres, shonen is not. shonen is the term for what age and gender demographic the anime/manga is intended to be consumed by. your lie in April and frieren are shonen because they are intended to be viewed by younger teenage boys, just like how chainsaw man, attack on titan, and mob psycho are shonen as well.
Jan 2, 10:47 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to Anifan01
@Anifan01 attack on titan is a shounen just like how K-on is a seinen.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 2, 3:46 PM
May 2023
It's a Shonen, just different than other typical ones. Instead of focusing on the battles of the story like other Shonen, it instead focuses on the more emotional aftermath after all of the battles and the story was completed.
Jan 2, 5:43 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to furikuri69
Anifan01 said:
deg said:

romance and slice of life are genres, shonen is not. shonen is the term for what age and gender demographic the anime/manga is intended to be consumed by. your lie in April and frieren are shonen because they are intended to be viewed by younger teenage boys, just like how chainsaw man, attack on titan, and mob psycho are shonen as well.
@furikuri69 I would very surprised if Freiren isn't more popular with an older demographic even if it's in a Shonen magazine, the story is certainly not written for a teenage demographic even if it is there.

It's entirely possible it's in a Shonen magazine so it gets more reach(since they are more popular) rather than the author thinking that's the ideal intended audience.
Jan 2, 6:49 PM
Nov 2017
Shonen never a genre, its market audience the publisher targeting.
Jan 2, 9:45 PM
Sep 2021
no it's not unique unless you've only seen the same hyped battle shounen
Jan 2, 9:59 PM
Jan 2016
deg said:

i think what makes frieren speciel is not that its unique necessarily, maybe im off but when i was reading the manga i did not feel like i was reading anything speciel, just a very chill and very well written version of something i had seen many times, maybe just the peak of what we are used is the way i saw it.
Maybe they have changed things in the anime, but i have only watched 7 episodes.
Jan 2, 10:39 PM
Jul 2023
shounen is both a demographic AND a genre. same with seinen, shojo, and josei.for example berserk is a seinen both in genre and demographic where as non non biyori is a seinen in demographic alone. theyre almost exact opposite anime but both targeted at adult men. shounen are anime aimed at adolescent boys BUT anime like naruto, one piece, bleach, dbz are shounen genre while frieren is an adventure, drama, fantasy, genre and a shounen demographic
Jan 2, 10:54 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to Anifan01
deg said:

@Anifan01 Shonen is a demographic, not a genre.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Not all people likes highly rated anime (Especially gamers)

Hickykissy - Yesterday

41 by Fenrir_01 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » thankyou, frieren. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Aug 12

50 by college_boy »»
6 hours ago

» Is this your fav anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Ghost_Davo - Sep 22

139 by J3_Omega »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

345 by subahokke »»
Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

910 by 3minutesbefore »»
Yesterday, 1:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.