Forum Settings
Forums

When did it become cool to call yourself a "weeb"? and why I think it's bad.

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 25, 2020 1:42 PM

Apr 2010
Nikiforova said:
Zeroflamez said:

You asked me if it's more cringe to have a dakimura pillow or an ahegao shirt than it is to call yourself a weeb and I said someone calling themselves a weeb likely does all 3. That was the joke but I guess you're a stick in the mud? Yeah sure, you can not give a damn but when you're apart of any group a vocal minority/majority is the representation of the entire group. So it can potentially lead you to be judged prematurely by saying you're apart of said group.

You realize that I wanted to say that your joke was funny back in 2016 when anitubers overused it or do I have to explain it to you?
Anyway, as I stated already, how about stop giving a damn? You are losing your nerves and time over something you can't change instead of just enjoying your hobby. As for people who are judging you, again, why would you care? If someone will judge you based on vocal majority (which seriously is not that bad in anime community - vocal majority here is actually made up of shounen/seinen lovers) I don't think that their opinion should be relevant to you at all.

I am not losing my nerves over anything. I was just sharing some thoughts I had with this post trying to create a discussion. Just because you're fine with being associated with a certain kind of fan does not mean everyone shares the same sentiments. So I don't see the point of you telling people what should and shouldn't bother them. I was simply saying that people CAN be and are affected by the vocal minority/majority. Anyway I'm leaving it at that. People like you are too much of a headache to talk to.

Aug 25, 2020 1:49 PM

Jul 2019
Zeroflamez said:
Nikiforova said:

You realize that I wanted to say that your joke was funny back in 2016 when anitubers overused it or do I have to explain it to you?
Anyway, as I stated already, how about stop giving a damn? You are losing your nerves and time over something you can't change instead of just enjoying your hobby. As for people who are judging you, again, why would you care? If someone will judge you based on vocal majority (which seriously is not that bad in anime community - vocal majority here is actually made up of shounen/seinen lovers) I don't think that their opinion should be relevant to you at all.

I am not losing my nerves over anything. I was just sharing some thoughts I had with this post trying to create a discussion. Just because you're fine with being associated with a certain kind of fan does not mean everyone shares the same sentiments. So I don't see the point of you telling people what should and shouldn't bother them. I was simply saying that people CAN be and are affected by the vocal minority/majority. Anyway I'm leaving it at that. People like you are too much of a headache to talk to.

Wow, looks like someone who actually wanted to give you a genuine advice bothers you. It's definitely better to leave it like that. I don't want to give a headache to someone who is already suffering so much.
Aug 25, 2020 2:11 PM

Apr 2010
Nikiforova said:
Zeroflamez said:

Wow, looks like someone who actually wanted to give you a genuine advice bothers you. It's definitely better to leave it like that. I don't want to give a headache to someone who is already suffering so much.

The problem is I'm not looking for advice. The entire point of the discussion was to talk about the usage of the word Weeb in today's Anime community and how it could affect other fans that don't fall into that archetype of fan. The reason why I said it would give me headache to continue because you're not really discussing anything. You're just saying that's how fans are and to not let it bother you. When the post wasn't about whether it bothered me specifically or not. I said that vocal minority/majority still has an affect on the average fan. Now how we deal with it is certainly up to us. However whether we let the affects bother us or not was not the point I was trying to get across. But you kept pushing the sentiments that I shouldn't care over and over missing the point.
ZeroflamezAug 25, 2020 2:15 PM
Aug 25, 2020 2:27 PM

Jul 2019
Zeroflamez said:
Nikiforova said:

The problem is I'm not looking for advice. The entire point of the discussion was to talk about the usage of the word Weeb in today's Anime community and how it could affect other fans that don't fall into that archetype of fan. The reason why I said it would give me headache to continue because you're not really discussing anything. You're just saying that's how fans are and to not let it bother you. When the post wasn't about whether it bothered me specifically or not. I said that vocal minority/majority still has an affect on the average fan. Now how we deal with it is certainly up to us. However whether we let the affects bother us or not was not the point I was trying to get across. But you kept pushing the sentiments that I shouldn't care over and over missing the point.

People are using it because they think it makes them look more interesting. There's your answer. I actually said it already, but somehow we ended up with this completely unnecessary discussion were you are constantly repeating that the word doesn't bother you while in every answer you sound like you are mad af at the people who use it because it can effect the anime community as a whole. On the other hand, I'm constantly repeating that something like that is just not worth thinking about. Your answers sounded seriously angry so it just gave me an impression that this thing makes you so mad and I had a necessity to tell you to cool down and just enjoy your anime. Hopefully this ends here.
Aug 25, 2020 2:47 PM
May 2019
I'm not really sure.
Weeb used to refer to people who are overly obsessed with Japan and wanted to become Japanese.
This days it's original meaning is gone and it's synonymous with being an anime/manga fan.
Aug 25, 2020 3:00 PM

Apr 2010
Nikiforova said:
Zeroflamez said:

People are using it because they think it makes them look more interesting. There's your answer. I actually said it already, but somehow we ended up with this completely unnecessary discussion were you are constantly repeating that the word doesn't bother you while in every answer you sound like you are mad af at the people who use it because it can effect the anime community as a whole. On the other hand, I'm constantly repeating that something like that is just not worth thinking about. Your answers sounded seriously angry so it just gave me an impression that this thing makes you so mad and I had a necessity to tell you to cool down and just enjoy your anime. Hopefully this ends here.

I'm really not mad or bothered like you think I am. I'm not losing sleep over people calling themselves weebs. Also I'm not sure how you can interpret my emotions through text, but alright.
Aug 25, 2020 3:23 PM

Jul 2019
Zeroflamez said:

I'm really not mad or bothered like you think I am. I'm not losing sleep over people calling themselves weebs. Also I'm not sure how you can interpret my emotions through text, but alright.

This shit is just absolutely bizarre to me

It's still extremely cringe worthy regardless.

Kind of makes us all look like memes.

Maybe I interpreted them from your own words?
Aug 25, 2020 4:56 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
I LOATHE the term. People misuse it like there's no tomorrow and it even sounds really stupid. Just let it fcking die.

I just call myself a 'geek', 'nerd', 'fangirl' etc.

Tbh, I hate it, when people write fcking or fricking instead of fucking. Seriously, you are an adult. Curse or don't curse, but don't chicken out.
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Also geek and nerd had very negative connotations until people used it to describe themselves.
I just hate it when people call themselves trash, because then I always ask myself if they are just ironic or try to cover their low self-esteem and then I'm worried, but I'm pretty okay with weeb. Actually I call my friends and myself weebs for fun sometimes. I know how or when it exactly started, but it was just a joke.

Zeroflamez said:
I personally don't care what Anime fans call themselves. I just don't really like the idea of a vocal minority/majority constantly calling themselves weebs and romanticizing cringe activities and behaviors all over the internet so openly. Kind of makes us all look like memes. Even if we don't act like that.

Maybe you could stop caring so much about outsiders' opinions. They don't matter and they shouldn't care so much, as long as people's activities don't hurt anyone.
Yeah I find ahegao clothes disgusting too, but I've rarely seen people around running around with them in daily life.
I also have never seen anyone actually running around with a dakimakura, except they are at a con and just bought it and even there... rarely. I think it's pretty weird to own those as well, but I came at peace with them to say it like that, because I thought then: Do you know what kind of sex toys and all kind of quite weird stuff the "normal" people own? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and they are sometimes not ashamed to openly talk about them either. I mean, why should they? It's a normal part of life.
removed-userAug 25, 2020 5:14 PM
Aug 25, 2020 5:32 PM

Nov 2008
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Tbh, I hate it, when people write fcking or fricking instead of fucking. Seriously, you are an adult. Curse or don't curse, but don't chicken out.

Of all things to be bothered by, THAT bothers you? Lol gimme a break; I will spell curses any way I please.

I also hate it when people use "cringe" as an adjective; the sounds so stupid.

Aug 25, 2020 5:49 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Weebs are cool!
Indulging in passions is what life is for. Life is about hedonism: Flee discomfort (escapism), find pleasure (in this case it's limitless fantasy-fulfillment), and survive longer (pleasure=no depression=no suicide, no mutilation, no low self-esteem and engaging in risky behaviors giving in to peer pressure).

Weebs are obsessive, maybe, to the point of discomfort in some cases, but it's also a trait of maturity not to care too much about the norms, and to come to good terms with your inner drive.

Aug 25, 2020 5:55 PM

Dec 2015
People on the Internet is using the Weeb and Otaku's as a excuse on the Internet to act like tards.
People think it's acceptable to acting like a idiot and calling uself a Weeb to exuse uself from acting like a decent human being.

Aug 25, 2020 6:30 PM

Feb 2016
Why do you care so much about what other people refer to themselves as? How is gate keeping related to people calling themselves weebs? What division are you talking about? At the end of the day, why does any of it matter? Nearly everything you said was a huge exaggeration. (These are rhetorical questions, I'm not looking for an answer to them because there isn't a good one)

As I get older, I wonder more and more why people can't just let other people live their lives in peace without worrying about what others do. They aren't breaking any laws, they aren't affecting your life, they don't even know you and probably don't care about what you think of them.

All these attacks on "weebs/otakus" really need to stop, it's getting old. If you see a weeb on the internet and for some reason you're genuinely bothered by them, block them. If you so happen to see one in real life (Which is doubtful unless you're still in middle/high school or something) then do something to take your attention away from them, or even remove yourself from the area entirely. Let people live their lives.

People who genuinely feel bothered by weebs or otakus need to go seek professional help. There's clearly an underlying personal issue or insecurity with yourself that you need to get resolved
Aug 25, 2020 6:42 PM

Apr 2010
Nikiforova said:
Zeroflamez said:

This shit is just absolutely bizarre to me

It's still extremely cringe worthy regardless.

Kind of makes us all look like memes.

Maybe I interpreted them from your own words?

Yes it's bizarre to me that Anime fans are calling themselves Weebs because when I was getting knee deep into the community around 2006, being called a weaboo was the worst thing you could call an Anime fan and no fan willingly ever wanted to be called that. Let alone label themselves as one. Satire or not.

Yes it's cringe to me because I came up in a time where Weaboo was a term(and insult) that wasn't thrown around lightly for laughs and when people called you a weaboo it wasn't a joke, they were serious.

How does it not make us look like memes? When you have a vocal majority running around calling each other weebs along with themselves and acting like goofs in video's for lol's. It gives people the impression all Anime fans that openly express their love of Anime in public are Weebs.

I still have no idea how those 3 quotes determine my emotional state and I likely won't ever know, cause they don't determine anything.

Nillwas said:
People on the Internet is using the Weeb and Otaku's as a excuse on the Internet to act like tards.
People think it's acceptable to acting like a idiot and calling uself a Weeb to exuse uself from acting like a decent human being.

I don't ever find myself agreeing with you but I can on this.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Chiibi said:
I LOATHE the term. People misuse it like there's no tomorrow and it even sounds really stupid. Just let it fcking die.

I just call myself a 'geek', 'nerd', 'fangirl' etc.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Also geek and nerd had very negative connotations until people used it to describe themselves.
I just hate it when people call themselves trash, because then I always ask myself if they are just ironic or try to cover their low self-esteem and then I'm worried, but I'm pretty okay with weeb. Actually I call my friends and myself weebs for fun sometimes. I know how or when it exactly started, but it was just a joke.

Zeroflamez said:
I personally don't care what Anime fans call themselves. I just don't really like the idea of a vocal minority/majority constantly calling themselves weebs and romanticizing cringe activities and behaviors all over the internet so openly. Kind of makes us all look like memes. Even if we don't act like that.

Maybe you could stop caring so much about outsiders' opinions. They don't matter and they shouldn't care so much, as long as people's activities don't hurt anyone.
Yeah I find ahegao clothes disgusting too, but I've rarely seen people around running around with them in daily life.
I also have never seen anyone actually running around with a dakimakura, except they are at a con and just bought it and even there... rarely. I think it's pretty weird to own those as well, but I came at peace with them to say it like that, because I thought then: Do you know what kind of sex toys and all kind of quite weird stuff the "normal" people own? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and they are sometimes not ashamed to openly talk about them either. I mean, why should they? It's a normal part of life.

As I've already said to the other person. It's not about whether or not you choose to let something bother you or not. That's not the point. The point is the vocal majority still affects the minority because the vocal majority are what people see and thus act as representation of the community. People's opinions are shaped by what they see and what they experience. If all someone see's are Anime fans acting like goofs and they encounter someone that is an Anime fan, they are already going in with a pre-existing notion that is negative. Regardless of whether or not the person chooses to not let this bothers them, the fact still stands that they are being looked at in that light due to the actions of other people in that group they belong to. Does this bother me? No, but just because it doesn't bother you I or the other person, doesn't mean that it's just as easy for another individual to do the same.

Aug 25, 2020 6:48 PM

Aug 2020
Same reason people started to refer to themselves as nerds/geeks. Take a derogatory world, and if you use it ironically enough, eventually it just becomes a normal word.
I swear, I don't have a thing for blondes.

Aug 25, 2020 7:03 PM

Apr 2010
CareBear said:
Why do you care so much about what other people refer to themselves as? How is gate keeping related to people calling themselves weebs? What division are you talking about? At the end of the day, why does any of it matter? Nearly everything you said was a huge exaggeration. (These are rhetorical questions, I'm not looking for an answer to them because there isn't a good one)

As I get older, I wonder more and more why people can't just let other people live their lives in peace without worrying about what others do. They aren't breaking any laws, they aren't affecting your life, they don't even know you and probably don't care about what you think of them.

All these attacks on "weebs/otakus" really need to stop, it's getting old. If you see a weeb on the internet and for some reason you're genuinely bothered by them, block them. If you so happen to see one in real life (Which is doubtful unless you're still in middle/high school or something) then do something to take your attention away from them, or even remove yourself from the area entirely. Let people live their lives.

People who genuinely feel bothered by weebs or otakus need to go seek professional help. There's clearly an underlying personal issue or insecurity with yourself that you need to get resolved

People not reading my post or misinterpreting it all together is getting old. The entire point has nothing to do with whether it bothers me or not. It's about how a word that was used as an insult became something Anime fans refer to themselves and others as. For fuck sakes dude if you don't have any interest in actually discussing what I said and just want to be like the other people in here saying "why do you care?, why does it bother you? a long with a bunch of other false assumptions that you've pulled out of your ass, why even bother posting? You can't even start a fucking discussion on these boards anymore without someone coming in here crucifying you for it. You say I'm bothered yet you and others seem extremely bothered by my post. Oh the irony
ZeroflamezAug 25, 2020 7:08 PM
Aug 25, 2020 7:16 PM

Feb 2016
Zeroflamez said:

People not reading my post or misinterpreting it all together is getting old. The entire point has nothing to do with whether it bothers me or not. It's about how a word that was used as an insult became something Anime fans refer to themselves and others as. For fuck sakes dude if you don't have any interest in actually discussing what I said and just want to be like the other people in here saying "why do you care?, why does it bother you? must be something wrong with you if it bothers you". Yet that isn't even the point of the thread.
There's nothing to discuss because nearly everything you said is blatantly wrong. You don't even have a point because all you did was just go on about your topic without giving a single example as to why you believe it to be the case, despite bringing up things like gatekeeping and division.

Don't ask a dumb question and expect to get high-quality responses. The answer to your question is "never", because to the general public/community it's still an insult. The word itself is the equivalent to the word "bitch" as some females use it as a way praise themselves and their friends, and yet it's still used as an insult.

Please share a few instances of your 5 years worth of observations where people referred to themselves as a weeb in an non-sarcastic manner to the point where you thought it was becoming normal. And please go into more detail about the gate keeping and division you brought up.
CareBearAug 25, 2020 7:56 PM
Aug 25, 2020 7:47 PM

Jan 2020
Theonewhorules said:
I tell people I hate anime yet watch it
i used to do the same but idk how people see me anymore i guess..
Aug 25, 2020 8:53 PM

Apr 2010
CareBear said:
Zeroflamez said:

People not reading my post or misinterpreting it all together is getting old. The entire point has nothing to do with whether it bothers me or not. It's about how a word that was used as an insult became something Anime fans refer to themselves and others as. For fuck sakes dude if you don't have any interest in actually discussing what I said and just want to be like the other people in here saying "why do you care?, why does it bother you? must be something wrong with you if it bothers you". Yet that isn't even the point of the thread.
There's nothing to discuss because nearly everything you said is blatantly wrong. You don't even have a point because all you did was ask questions regarding your belief and yet didn't even give any examples as to why you think that.

Don't ask a dumb question and expect to get high-quality responses. The answer to your question is "never", because to the general public/community it's still an insult. The word itself is the equivalent to the word "bitch" as some females use it as a way praise themselves and their friends, and yet it's still used as an insult.

Please share a few instances of your 5 years worth of observations where people referred to themselves as a weeb in an non-sarcastic manner to the point where you thought it was becoming normal. And please go into more detail about the gate keeping and division you brought up.

Nope I'm not sharing any instances or gonna bother explaining what I meant by gate keeping cause it's a waste of time. I made a discussion thread and instead of you asking me to go into further detail by explaining what I mean by Gate Keeping or to provide some examples of where I've seen this happen. You jump right into saying everything I'm saying is blatantly wrong (without providing anything that proves why I'm wrong) all while claiming that I'm bothered by Weebs and I'm attacking them. Even though nothing in my opening posts states that this is true. My question to you is why are you so offended? why does my post bother you so much? You're finding things in my post that aren't there and are interpreting it as such. (I.E Attacking Weebs, being bothered by weebs, wanting "Weebs" to behave differently.) you being this defensive just tells me you are an insecure Anime fan and are salty.
ZeroflamezAug 25, 2020 9:00 PM
Aug 25, 2020 8:59 PM

Oct 2019
I hated being called a weeb, but I don't really care anymore. I see a lot of anime fans call themselves a weeb, but they usually are referring to an anime fan. I just sort of went with it I guess? I'm not even sure anymore :|
Aug 25, 2020 9:38 PM

Aug 2020
Words don't mean anything. They're just loose shells you cram sentiments into in an effort to make them recognizable. Context dictates everything, so calling yourself or others a weeb can mean any range of things, none of which are particularly worth losing sleep over.
ⁱˢ ᵗʰᵉ ᵒʳᵈᵉʳ ᵃ ᴾⁱᵉʳʳᵒᵗ?

Aug 25, 2020 10:18 PM

Feb 2019
NO_U_ETC said:
"Weeaboo's" are culturally insensitive/naive to what actually goes on in Japan...

why does what actually goes on in Japan even matter?
Aug 26, 2020 12:58 AM
Dec 2018
I didn't even realize people in the community felt that way about this word weeb. If anything, I thought the word was accepted rather quickly by most of the anime community as a way to differentiate ourselves from other parts of geek culture. To me it no different to calling yourself a "trekkie".

I doubt that most people who call themselves weebs are doing do ironically or self deprecatingly either. Despite it's original meaning, the word "weeb" has been reappropriated, just like "geek" and "nerd" were before it. If anything, the stupidity of its origin story made it easier to accept.
Aug 26, 2020 1:16 AM

Oct 2017
At least "normie" anime fans are still anime fans but not hardcore obsessed with it. That's not gatekeeping, that's just a matter of fact.
Aug 26, 2020 1:32 AM
Jul 2018
i always felt uncomfortable when people called me a weeb just because i liked anime. but now that its becoming more mainstream eeeeveryone is using it and its kind of awkward
Aug 26, 2020 1:35 AM

Oct 2008
Weaboo is a phase people grow out of, or grow in to. Its temporary and I do think its insulting. Unlike the geek, dork, nerd, four eyes, apple polisher. Which can be considered as not necessarily insulting. Weaboo has nothing remotely positive attached to it.

Otaku in Japan's past was considered an admirable person who was overly knowledgeable about something. But then somebody stupid came up with the term "OTAKU" and it became something to be embarrassed about, when referred to as such.
Aug 26, 2020 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
The word you actually mean would be "weebaao"
I think nowadays people use weeb as a term for "anime watchers"
Aug 26, 2020 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
I remember there was a teen blogger around 13-14 years ago that wrote a blog and it had the Otaku title, yet after a while realized it's negative connotations and stopped blogging and watching anime all together. It was a tough decision and I admired him.

Aug 26, 2020 2:01 AM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Of all things to be bothered by, THAT bothers you? Lol gimme a break; I will spell curses any way I please.

Yes...yes it does. See, everyone got pet peeves. xD

Zeroflamez said:

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

As I've already said to the other person. It's not about whether or not you choose to let something bother you or not. That's not the point. The point is the vocal majority still affects the minority because the vocal majority are what people see and thus act as representation of the community. People's opinions are shaped by what they see and what they experience. If all someone see's are Anime fans acting like goofs and they encounter someone that is an Anime fan, they are already going in with a pre-existing notion that is negative. Regardless of whether or not the person chooses to not let this bothers them, the fact still stands that they are being looked at in that light due to the actions of other people in that group they belong to. Does this bother me? No, but just because it doesn't bother you I or the other person, doesn't mean that it's just as easy for another individual to do the same.

Again: How is it even my problem, if some people got a misconception of how anime fans are like? Of course, I'd prefer if they don't think that anime are either all perverted or only kids shows and if they are open for a talk, yeah that's great. But if they don't want to change their opinion, just because they met a few (in their eyes) cringey people, it's not my problem. I have enough and a few very good friends and I myself behave kinda normal I think, I don't need to suck up to random people and care about their opinion in addition to that.
Also, it's often just a cultural thing what is considered as cringe. Sometimes my neighbours yelled like crazy at their tv, because they watched a soccer game. I mean, I don't care, but how is this less cringe than let's say someone screaming out their love for anime? It's just either socially accepted or even encouraged to behave like that as a sports fan.
So anime fans don't need to simp up to society standards. Let their opinion be negative and live on.
And it's also not my problem, when other anime fans are bothered by society's negative opinions. Better tell them that they should stop caring that much.
Aug 26, 2020 2:12 AM

Aug 2020
Zeroflamez said:
Did you even read my post? I really would consider re-reading my post if you even read it before making a response. Also you sure sound like the salty one.

Of course I did, but did you even read my reply? I explained why people like to label themselves with these but it's like you completely skipped over that part and focused on a different, less important part and got triggered. How do I sound salty? This is what happens you recently learn the word salty. I just asked why you are you so bothered but no I'm just salty, sure lol.

Zeroflamez said:
Why are YOU bothered by me questioning it? You even say that I somehow have a superiority complex and I'm "cringe" because of it. Yet you're the one getting triggered by me not wanting to be apart of your joke. If anything you and people like you are the cringe part of this community. Expecting Fans to just conform to whatever you guys think is funny throwing labels at everyone and getting defensive when people don't want to be apart of it and question it.

Lmfao, why are you getting so defensive, instead of understanding my explanation you feel the need to get over-defensive and reply with something like this "wHy r U s0 b0tHerEd bY mE qUeSTioNinG iT?". It's like the more I read it the more I facepalm. I called out the entire MAL community, but yet again you decided to take it personally and now that I think of it, you did the right thing by taking it personally. Again, the misuse of the word, oof. Did my reply actually look like I was triggered? Or it might be that you are trying to channel your anger towards me just to hide that you yourself are very triggered .. hm? When did I want you to be a part of my joke you already are a joke. Also by the way, you ain't nobody to decide what's right or not, just because it looks cringe to you. Expecting everyone to conform to whatever you think is right throwing rules of what is cringe and what isn't at everyone and getting triggered when people just want to have fun by doing whatever they want to and how they want to identify themselves. Who's the triggered one now?

And I'd just like to say I agree with everything CareBear says, you do need to seek professional help if you are so bothered by what people are calling themselves. "Don't ask a dumb question and expect to get high-quality responses" there you go, that will be your life motto for the next couple of years. It seems like everyone that replies to your post is apparently bothered by it lol.

Zeroflamez said:
Nope I'm not sharing any instances or gonna bother explaining what I meant by gate keeping cause it's a waste of time.

Yeah you just gave up on your discussion, you are not even trying to the point that you think that the moderator is being salty and insecure when it looks like that you are the one who is salty and is having PTSD of the days when everyone called you a disgusting weeb. Grow up. Even the moderator gave up because he realized how stupid this is.
You are right man, everyone who disagrees with you is just salty, bothered by you, and is getting defensive, thanks for your valid input, might as well make a poll "Do you agree with me or do you agree with me?" lmao

So if other people who aren't a part of the anime community gets misconceptions about the anime community by only viewing a few people and then instantly judging the entire anime community based on those few peoples, its everyone's fault? Tskk, nice logic. So basically what you are trying to say is that we need to be very very serious about anime, stop trying to have fun and we need to shape all of ourselves in a way so some stupid non-anime viewer doesn't get the wrong idea about us and sees us in a right light? What a magnificent idea!

Yeah so I don't care if some insecure person is bothered by what a non-anime viewer says about them (cough that's you cough), me and many others are not gonna stop having fun and shape ourselves in a way so that a few people who aren't even anime fans will stop getting the wrong idea about all of us. "ooooh I'm so angry, I'm very very angry oooohh, I'm angry, I'm very very angry, please leave me alone, stop calling me a weeb, please leave me alone, stop calling me a weeaboo oooooh"
HentryAug 26, 2020 2:31 AM
私は禁止されています、これは偽のアカウントです
Aug 26, 2020 4:21 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Honestly, I have never been able to understand the significance of that word, beyond just a tounge in cheek way of saying that you watch anime. I used it once, and this guy, on another forum, scolded me, as though it were some kind of slur. I just laughed.
We are talking about japanese cartoons, it's not that deep.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Aug 26, 2020 4:36 AM

Aug 2018
Is it cool to call self a "weeb"? That's new to me
Aug 26, 2020 7:53 AM

Jan 2020
Being shit is maybe a new cool , like loving degenerate like Kazuya from Kanokari .
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Aug 26, 2020 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
İ don't know if this is a cultural issue or not but I really can't figure out you guys obsession with some stupid internet labels.

Edit: Every time I've read a post from OP here I've had that pic of abbe Simpson flashing in front of my eyes. İn 2006 being called a weeaboo was the worst insult for an anime fan but that's the thing this isn't 2006 it's beyond me how the simple concept of the meaning of a word originating on a forum board changing over time can be so lost on someone. İ've seen a few other people saying they prefer words like geek or nerd supposedly because they're less negative as if not so long ago the people most using these words weren't the ones making fun of or even bullying those who happens to have hobbies related to comic books, anime or video games.
JoyBoy_316Aug 26, 2020 11:17 AM
Aug 26, 2020 10:41 AM

Nov 2008
JoyBoy_316 said:
İ've seen a few other people saying they prefer words like geek or nerd supposedly because they're less negative as if not so long ago the people most using these words were the ones making fun of or even bullying those who happens to have hobbies related to comic books, anime or video games.

The thing is, I'm not sure what else you would call someone 'obsessed with a thing'. I don't consider myself a casual fan...because I have the addiction pretty bad.

Aug 26, 2020 10:51 AM
Mar 2018
gunprismpower said:
Honestly, I mostly see Weeb used in an ironic/self-deprecating way these days. It kind of has the vibe of "anime was a mistake... and yet here I continue to love it."

"Anime is trash and so am I."

-A weeb.
Aug 26, 2020 11:32 AM

Nov 2016
Chiibi said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
İ've seen a few other people saying they prefer words like geek or nerd supposedly because they're less negative as if not so long ago the people most using these words were the ones making fun of or even bullying those who happens to have hobbies related to comic books, anime or video games.

The thing is, I'm not sure what else you would call someone 'obsessed with a thing'. I don't consider myself a casual fan...because I have the addiction pretty bad.

I've no issue with the idea of appropriating a former slur what I don't get is people like OP that are so against the idea that weeb is just another one of those.
Aug 26, 2020 11:51 AM

Nov 2008
JoyBoy_316 said:
what I don't get is people like OP that are so against the idea that weeb is just another one of those.

In my opinion, 'weeb' is just a very stupid-sounding word that makes me think of 12-year-olds in Naruto cosplay mispronouncing Japanese very badly.

I refuse to call myself that.

Aug 26, 2020 11:59 AM

Apr 2010
Dragonland04 said:

No, Weeb is the abbreviation of Weaboo.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Chiibi said:

Zeroflamez said:

Again: How is it even my problem, if some people got a misconception of how anime fans are like? Of course, I'd prefer if they don't think that anime are either all perverted or only kids shows and if they are open for a talk, yeah that's great. But if they don't want to change their opinion, just because they met a few (in their eyes) cringey people, it's not my problem. I have enough and a few very good friends and I myself behave kinda normal I think, I don't need to suck up to random people and care about their opinion in addition to that.
Also, it's often just a cultural thing what is considered as cringe. Sometimes my neighbours yelled like crazy at their tv, because they watched a soccer game. I mean, I don't care, but how is this less cringe than let's say someone screaming out their love for anime? It's just either socially accepted or even encouraged to behave like that as a sports fan.
So anime fans don't need to simp up to society standards. Let their opinion be negative and live on.
And it's also not my problem, when other anime fans are bothered by society's negative opinions. Better tell them that they should stop caring that much.

That's nice, but you don't speak for the entire community. Some people DO CARE about being judged in that light. You keep coming to the conclusion that you don't care and you're friends don't care, so everyone else shouldn't care either. You can believe what you want, that's fine but the fact still stands that some people are affected by this and they aren't just able to brush it off as easily as you can. Plus sometimes negative opinions can snowball into bullying or other things. To tell someone "just don't let it bother you" can be easier said than done for many people.

Hentry said:
Zeroflamez said:
Did you even read my post? I really would consider re-reading my post if you even read it before making a response. Also you sure sound like the salty one.

Of course I did, but did you even read my reply? I explained why people like to label themselves with these but it's like you completely skipped over that part and focused on a different, less important part and got triggered. How do I sound salty? This is what happens you recently learn the word salty. I just asked why you are you so bothered but no I'm just salty, sure lol.

Zeroflamez said:
Why are YOU bothered by me questioning it? You even say that I somehow have a superiority complex and I'm "cringe" because of it. Yet you're the one getting triggered by me not wanting to be apart of your joke. If anything you and people like you are the cringe part of this community. Expecting Fans to just conform to whatever you guys think is funny throwing labels at everyone and getting defensive when people don't want to be apart of it and question it.

Lmfao, why are you getting so defensive, instead of understanding my explanation you feel the need to get over-defensive and reply with something like this "wHy r U s0 b0tHerEd bY mE qUeSTioNinG iT?". It's like the more I read it the more I facepalm. I called out the entire MAL community, but yet again you decided to take it personally and now that I think of it, you did the right thing by taking it personally. Again, the misuse of the word, oof. Did my reply actually look like I was triggered? Or it might be that you are trying to channel your anger towards me just to hide that you yourself are very triggered .. hm? When did I want you to be a part of my joke you already are a joke. Also by the way, you ain't nobody to decide what's right or not, just because it looks cringe to you. Expecting everyone to conform to whatever you think is right throwing rules of what is cringe and what isn't at everyone and getting triggered when people just want to have fun by doing whatever they want to and how they want to identify themselves. Who's the triggered one now?

And I'd just like to say I agree with everything CareBear says, you do need to seek professional help if you are so bothered by what people are calling themselves. "Don't ask a dumb question and expect to get high-quality responses" there you go, that will be your life motto for the next couple of years. It seems like everyone that replies to your post is apparently bothered by it lol.

Zeroflamez said:
Nope I'm not sharing any instances or gonna bother explaining what I meant by gate keeping cause it's a waste of time.

Yeah you just gave up on your discussion, you are not even trying to the point that you think that the moderator is being salty and insecure when it looks like that you are the one who is salty and is having PTSD of the days when everyone called you a disgusting weeb. Grow up. Even the moderator gave up because he realized how stupid this is.
You are right man, everyone who disagrees with you is just salty, bothered by you, and is getting defensive, thanks for your valid input, might as well make a poll "Do you agree with me or do you agree with me?" lmao

So if other people who aren't a part of the anime community gets misconceptions about the anime community by only viewing a few people and then instantly judging the entire anime community based on those few peoples, its everyone's fault? Tskk, nice logic. So basically what you are trying to say is that we need to be very very serious about anime, stop trying to have fun and we need to shape all of ourselves in a way so some stupid non-anime viewer doesn't get the wrong idea about us and sees us in a right light? What a magnificent idea!

Yeah so I don't care if some insecure person is bothered by what a non-anime viewer says about them (cough that's you cough), me and many others are not gonna stop having fun and shape ourselves in a way so that a few people who aren't even anime fans will stop getting the wrong idea about all of us. "ooooh I'm so angry, I'm very very angry oooohh, I'm angry, I'm very very angry, please leave me alone, stop calling me a weeb, please leave me alone, stop calling me a weeaboo oooooh"

I never even said I was bothered by the word, nor did I say I cared about what non Anime fans think about me. I don't know where you and the mod get that notion from. It's not about whether you agree with me or not, many people in here disagreed with me. The fucking problem is of people telling me everything I said is wrong like the low IQ moderator without even giving me examples of how I'm wrong and running straight to "You ask dumb questions, why do you let these things bother you? leave weaboo's alone, stop attacking them,". Basically smothering me with bullshit to the point that I can't even respond to all of it .All while pulling a bunch of statements out of my opening posts that never existed in the first place. (I.E, attacking weebs, being bothered, etc) to further bury me and then expecting me to post examples and asking for me to elaborate on things which they should have been doing from the fucking start. What this tells me is that they had no interest in discussing anything in the first place and they already came in with the mentality that I'm wrong. So nothing I tell them will change that so It's a fucking waste of time to bother. I never even stated whose fault it was or wasn't. Again you keep making shit up to fit your argument.

I never insulted anyone or any fucking thing. You and the mod are the ones telling me to "grow up" and you say that I'm having PTSD of being called a weeb. All the while passively aggressively trying to bully me out of my own discussion.

I never said I was bothered by anything. I never said that I had a problem with people calling themselves weebs. I never said it was anyone's fault and I never said I hate weebs either. Yet somehow you pulled all of this out of my opening post and are going through such lengths to take someone down even though their post wasn't insulting anyone yet I'm the one being defensive and triggered?

Keep gas lighting me though.
ZeroflamezAug 26, 2020 2:02 PM
Aug 26, 2020 12:05 PM

Nov 2016
Chiibi said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
what I don't get is people like OP that are so against the idea that weeb is just another one of those.

In my opinion, 'weeb' is just a very stupid-sounding word that makes me think of 12-year-olds in Naruto cosplay mispronouncing Japanese very badly.

I refuse to call myself that.

That's your choice, I myself have never liked the word geek but don't care if others use it for themselves.
Aug 26, 2020 1:25 PM

Oct 2015
Reclamation of derogatory words by the target community is not a new thing. Some of the popular ones include, "queer", "nigga", "commie", "fash" and probably more.
Aug 26, 2020 1:42 PM

Oct 2013
So calling somebody as "weeb" is kinda a compliment these days? What strange times we are living in, lol.
Aug 26, 2020 1:54 PM

Jun 2016
As someone else mentioned, that label has been meme:d. No one who says they're a weeb are actually serious. Some people who don't watch anime tend to refer to anime watchers as weebs, doesn't matter if you're literally a weeb or just a simple anime fan, anyways, so why not meme the label?

People say it to make people offended and get a rise out of them but now that it's meme:d and "trendy" to call yourself a weeb nobody's gonna be triggered, which I think is better tbh.
"I don't care if no one likes me. I wasn't created in this world to entertain everyone"- Oreki Houtarou
Aug 26, 2020 2:02 PM
Apr 2016
"I'm surprised that weebs call themselves degenerates, hahahaha funny joke but you are one" -certain someone.

They also like referring to themselves as "degenerates" as of recently, but for that part, the quote above sums it up.
Aug 26, 2020 2:07 PM

Apr 2020
It's not cool at all. The vast majority calls themselves weebs. The cool thing to do is to not call yourself a weeb.
Aug 26, 2020 2:09 PM

Sep 2018
its not cool to call yourself a weeb
its even less cool to think that its cool to call yourself a weeb
Aug 26, 2020 2:15 PM

Aug 2018
Being a weeb isnt bad, its the exact same as anime fan.

Aug 26, 2020 2:19 PM

Oct 2018
yaruka said:
NO_U_ETC said:
"Weeaboo's" are culturally insensitive/naive to what actually goes on in Japan...

why does what actually goes on in Japan even matter?

How about I just go around wearing black-face and flaunt black stereotypes because i love black culture so much, but really know nothing about black people. Now replace black with Japanese in that sentence, and see if it "matters"
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Aug 26, 2020 2:25 PM

Jul 2019
Eh The whole weeb thing never really bother me.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Aug 26, 2020 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
Zeroflamez said:
Dragonland04 said:

No, Weeb is the abbreviation of Weaboo.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

That's nice, but you don't speak for the entire community. Some people DO CARE about being judged in that light. You keep coming to the conclusion that you don't care and you're friends don't care, so everyone else shouldn't care either. You can believe what you want, that's fine but the fact still stands that some people are affected by this and they aren't just able to brush it off as easily as you can. Plus sometimes negative opinions can snowball into bullying or other things. To tell someone "just don't let it bother you" can be easier said than done for many people.

Hentry said:

I never even said I was bothered by the word, nor did I say I cared about what non Anime fans think about me. I don't know where you and the mod get that notion from. It's not about whether you agree with me or not, many people in here disagreed with me. The fucking problem is of people telling me everything I said is wrong like the low IQ moderator without even giving me examples of how I'm wrong and running straight to "You ask dumb questions, why do you let these things bother you? leave weaboo's alone, stop attacking them,". Basically smothering me with bullshit to the point that I can't even respond to all of it .All while pulling a bunch of statements out of my opening posts that never existed in the first place. (I.E, attacking weebs, being bothered, etc) to further bury me and then expecting me to post examples and asking for me to elaborate on things which they should have been doing from the fucking start. What this tells me is that they had no interest in discussing anything in the first place and they already came in with the mentality that I'm wrong. So nothing I tell them will change that so It's a fucking waste of time to bother. I never even stated whose fault it was or wasn't. Again you keep making shit up to fit your argument.

I never insulted anyone or any fucking thing. You and the mod are the ones telling me to "grow up" and you say that I'm having PTSD of being called a weeb. All the while passively aggressively trying to bully me out of my own discussion.

I never said I was bothered by anything. I never said that I had a problem with people calling themselves weebs. I never said it was anyone's fault and I never said I hate weebs either. Yet somehow you pulled all of this out of my opening post and are going through such lengths to take someone down even though their post wasn't insulting anyone yet I'm the one being defensive and triggered?

Keep gas lighting me though.

You actually doesn't sound angry. This text of calm, friendly, non-insulting words and upbeat emotions convinced me that you aren't angry.

Tl;dr for the whole text above: I don't care, if other anime fans care, if they are judged in this light. It's their problem when they can't deal with it.
And bullying will also happen, if the victim isn't an anime fan. They will find a dozens of other excuses, because they just need a target that seems to be weaker than them.
removed-userAug 26, 2020 2:48 PM
Aug 26, 2020 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
Auron_ said:
Reclamation of derogatory words by the target community is not a new thing. Some of the popular ones include, "queer", "nigga", "commie", "fash" and probably more.

This. Gay meant something completely else and queer was a derogatory term for "not being normal / not in the norm" or eccentric, so you basically use it to give them no target. It basically says: "Even if that word means that I'm eccentric or not in the norm, so what? I like it."
removed-userAug 26, 2020 2:50 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7179 by ljaylotti »»
2 minutes ago

» What is the greatest spoiler of all time in anime?

SgtBateMan - 9 hours ago

16 by SgtBateMan »»
3 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

39 by BeastyAnimefan »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

102 by LoveYourEyes »»
26 minutes ago

» The best 3 animes you've ever seen? ( 1 2 )

Hachii13 - Mar 5

76 by Hitagi__Furude »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.