Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2019 7:17 PM

Mar 2016
isahbellah said:
[...]
I see! So, for example, I wouldn't be able to use No.6 nor Banana Fish for the shounen-ai challenge?

Unfortunately no :( my guess is the manga db mods discussed it already and decided against it, since they are very popular series.

About editing the pages: in other websites all the users can edit pictures, genres, amount of chapters/volumes, relations, etc. Pretty much all the information in an anime or manga's page. The edits aren't immediately in effect - it takes a mod to accept them or refuse them, so every time a user changes something, they have to say what was changed and what is their source.
I'm not sure if that's the case of MAL. But for some cases, like BL/GL, I think it could be helpful haha

You actually can do that (except for genres, lol)!
Unfortunately the queue for such changes is enormously long and they are pretty much concentrating on adding new titles to the db instead of doing such changes at the moment. But you can still try (it will be appreciated). And if an info is completely off the rails, you can ask a manga database mod for an eventual immediate change.
Oct 12, 2019 7:29 PM

Jul 2013
@Schlopsi dang it!! Even though no.6 and banana fish are BL mangas :( well, thanks anyway!
Also, lol at the fact that I can edit stuff, except the genres. I still appreciate your help, though :)

Oct 12, 2019 7:38 PM

Mar 2016
isahbellah said:
@Schlopsi dang it!! Even though no.6 and banana fish are BL mangas :( well, thanks anyway!
Also, lol at the fact that I can edit stuff, except the genres. I still appreciate your help, though :)

Yeah, i can share the pain in not being allowed to use them, too :( But this would exactly open up a situation where it would become a case to case decision making. Also I got curious and just checked it on mangaupdates: They aren't tagged as BL there, either. Probably because they were published in a shoujo mag? Can't tell. This might ease the pain a little bit eventually. :P

I guess the genres ain't up for editing because those would flood the queue even more (and exponentially) ^^"
Nov 3, 2019 6:44 PM

Mar 2017
I'm doing some planning for a future challenge and I came across a term that I wasn't sure about. How does the club define a "standalone manga"?
Nov 3, 2019 7:01 PM

Mar 2016
BrainpanSonata said:
I'm doing some planning for a future challenge and I came across a term that I wasn't sure about. How does the club define a "standalone manga"?

It is standalone if it doesn't have any related entries in the database - except for anime adaptions. manga with those can be used for it.
Nov 10, 2019 9:44 AM

Oct 2011
Was the Halloween Special supposed to be completed in October or can I still finish it?
Nov 10, 2019 9:53 AM

Mar 2016
Ayunee said:
Was the Halloween Special supposed to be completed in October or can I still finish it?

There's no time limit so you can finish it whenever you want.
Nov 21, 2019 6:22 PM

Oct 2016
I just noticed that the Release 2013 and 2014 challenges can now be done for a x2. The rules say...
This challenge can be attempted twice per difficulty. For this you have to complete all difficulties (three separate attempts) once.

Is this part a typo since there is not difficulty other than finishing the challenge? Wouldn't it be you just have to do another 10 per season (40 total)? Thanks!
Nov 21, 2019 6:44 PM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
I just noticed that the Release 2013 and 2014 challenges can now be done for a x2. The rules say...
This challenge can be attempted twice per difficulty. For this you have to complete all difficulties (three separate attempts) once.

Is this part a typo since there is not difficulty other than finishing the challenge? Wouldn't it be you just have to do another 10 per season (40 total)? Thanks!

Oh, correct. The difficulty part shouldn't be there (and will be edited out once I'm back on pc). It's just like you said. o7
Nov 22, 2019 4:28 AM

Oct 2016
Schlopsi said:
foxxykat1223 said:

Oh, correct. The difficulty part shouldn't be there (and will be edited out once I'm back on pc). It's just like you said. o7

Thank you! Looks like I'm off to work on more challenges. >.<
Nov 23, 2019 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
reserved

I'm having some trouble finding
Read a drama manga with at least one child as MC - 12 years or younger

Is there anywhere/anyone that has recommendations for this one? ty!

Off the bat I can think of these:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/25046/Kore_wa_Koi_no_Hanashi
https://myanimelist.net/manga/8477/Kodomo_no_Kodomo
https://myanimelist.net/manga/102980/Watashi_no_Shounen (ongoing)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/52425/The_Childrens_Teacher_Mr_Kwon

These might work, but you'd need some sort of proof since I couldn't find their ages after running a quick search.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/6164/My_Girl
https://myanimelist.net/manga/5655/Kaijuu_no_Kodomo

otherwise I'd rec you to check out the recommendations of those titles either on MAL or on Mangaupdates (or anime-planet/google as you mentioned), etc. Chances are good to find something that fits the requirement.
SchlopsiNov 23, 2019 2:54 PM
Nov 23, 2019 2:10 PM

Oct 2016

Thank you! I found some on AnimePlanet but they don't have the Drama title on MAL. I'll look into the ones you said about and keep looking.
Nov 23, 2019 9:58 PM
Mβ™›RRIED BL Lβ™₯VER

Jan 2013
For the Romance Challenge could you clarify what is wanted for these:
[β™‘] Read a novel or book adaption romance manga
[β™‘] Read a visual/light novel adaption romance manga
[β™‘] Read a game or unknown adaption romance manga

Is it okay to use "Type: Novel"?

Or, do you want there to be a "Type: Manga" that was adapted from those sources? If so, how would I go about finding them??

LINKS
β˜†:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::β˜†
Members Cards
Clubs
Challenges
Favorites
β˜†:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::β˜†
Forum by Evil Club - snowman 2023

Nov 23, 2019 10:20 PM

Mar 2016
RachelPanda said:
For the Romance Challenge could you clarify what is wanted for these:
[β™‘] Read a novel or book adaption romance manga
[β™‘] Read a visual/light novel adaption romance manga
[β™‘] Read a game or unknown adaption romance manga

Is it okay to use "Type: Novel"?

Or, do you want there to be a "Type: Manga" that was adapted from those sources? If so, how would I go about finding them??

We will rephrase those items for a better understanding. It means that the manga needs to be based on or being adapted from a novel/book/VN/LN/Game (ignore Unknown for now, this will probably get kicked). Since this challenge was pretty much copy-pasted from its anime counterpart, those items lead to some confusion bc manga - unlike anime - don't have their source stated. ^^

This link might help you (I hope it shows the correct site with Based on... tags): https://www.mangaupdates.com/categories.html?page=18&

There are probably way more titles around, so you just need to find romance manga that were based on those source materials - or in other words: where published later than their said source.
Nov 26, 2019 11:41 AM

Oct 2016
For the drama challenge...
Read a drama manga with a main cast mainly of males

Does there have to be a female character or can it be one with all males?

Also if MAL doesn't have the characters listed, can I use another site that does and link it in the challenge?
Nov 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
For the drama challenge...
Read a drama manga with a main cast mainly of males

Does there have to be a female character or can it be one with all males?

Also if MAL doesn't have the characters listed, can I use another site that does and link it in the challenge?

It can be with all males/females only, too.

Given the circumstance that the character database for manga is really thin, we will implement a rule to allow linking characters (and characters only) to other databases. :)
Dec 24, 2019 5:43 AM
Jan 2019
hello (´ο½‘• α΅• •ο½‘`)

if a manga (type: manga) is compromised of multiple one-shots, would it be used as a "manga" in challenges or would these one-shots be taken separately?

thanks in advance!
Dec 24, 2019 7:21 AM

Mar 2016
amexj0 said:
hello (´ο½‘• α΅• •ο½‘`)

if a manga (type: manga) is compromised of multiple one-shots, would it be used as a "manga" in challenges or would these one-shots be taken separately?

thanks in advance!

You have to use the "main entry" of the manga for challenges - so yes, you have to stick with the Type: Manga. You cannot split up anthologies or collections for their separate oneshots.
Dec 24, 2019 8:34 AM
Jan 2019
Schlopsi said:
amexj0 said:
hello (´ο½‘• α΅• •ο½‘`)

thanks in advance!

You have to use the "main entry" of the manga for challenges - so yes, you have to stick with the Type: Manga. You cannot split up anthologies or collections for their separate oneshots.

Gotchu! thanks β™‘
Jan 3, 2020 1:28 AM

Dec 2018
Can I use one shots that aren't yet on MAL for the one shot challenge and just link to the Manga Updates/Mangadex page?

Jan 3, 2020 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
Flash87 said:
Can I use one shots that aren't yet on MAL for the one shot challenge and just link to the Manga Updates/Mangadex page?

Unfortunately no. We created all those challenges with the sheer amount of oneshots listed in the MAL db in mind. So if it's not explicitly mentioned in the rules, you aren't allowed using stuff outside this db for the challenges.

Linking to other sites is currently restricted to Characters and character related items only, if they aren't listed on MAL.

Hope that's understandable.
Jan 4, 2020 5:11 PM

Dec 2018
Ok no worries. Bit of a shame considering how often one shots happen but the 6 plus months or so they take to ever get on here. If they do.

Jan 15, 2020 12:07 PM

Oct 2016
For the The 100 Chapters Challenge. Are we able to use webtoons, manhua, manhwa, which would have to be linked to another database since MAL doesn't really add these? Or is it just strictly manga? ty!
Jan 15, 2020 12:18 PM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
For the The 100 Chapters Challenge. Are we able to use webtoons, manhua, manhwa, which would have to be linked to another database since MAL doesn't really add these? Or is it just strictly manga? ty!

Everything that's in the MAL db counts, so manhua and manhwa count as well. Will clarify that in the rules. There's currently no intention to open the challenge up to other databases for now, so please stick with MAL entries.
Jan 15, 2020 12:23 PM

Oct 2016
Schlopsi said:
foxxykat1223 said:

Everything that's in the MAL db counts, so manhua and manhwa count as well. Will clarify that in the rules. There's currently no intention to open the challenge up to other databases for now, so please stick with MAL entries.

Unfortunately MAL really doesn't have many webtoons, manhua, manhwa in their database. Well at least the ones that I've read aren't in there. For now I will keep them stored away for future use if MAL adds them. ty!
Feb 20, 2020 6:43 PM

Dec 2015
I have a handful of questions/suggestions regarding the Ito Challenge:

Shouldn't Sensor be a requirement?

Youkai Kyoushitsu is in the bonus category, but shouldn't it be in the main section?

Yama Kaiden is not fully translated; only the one-shot illustrated by Ito is available. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better suited to the bonus category in light of that.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this!
Feb 21, 2020 7:08 AM

Mar 2016
CoolCatCraze said:
I have a handful of questions/suggestions regarding the Ito Challenge:

Shouldn't Sensor be a requirement?

Youkai Kyoushitsu is in the bonus category, but shouldn't it be in the main section?

Yama Kaiden is not fully translated; only the one-shot illustrated by Ito is available. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better suited to the bonus category in light of that.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this!

Yes, thank you very much for the heads up! I will update the challenge once I get to it. :)
Mar 4, 2020 1:56 PM

Dec 2008
Hello! I'm new to the club and always paranoid I'm gonna do things wrong with stuff like this so I just wanted to clarify on a couple challenges before I get started.

-For the collections and Critics & Connoisseurs challenges can we count what we've already read, or do we need to re-read those titles?

-For the shounen-ai challenge it says we can use series that we've started but not completed. Do we need to restart those series from the beginning?

-Do we need to include dates read in our challenge posts or only if the challenge needs to be done in a specific order?

-Are we allowed to overlap challenges with the yearly challenge as long as it's not explicitly prohibited?

Sorry for so many questions, thank you for your time and for this club!
Mar 4, 2020 2:41 PM

Mar 2016
letsgomeisei said:
Hello! I'm new to the club and always paranoid I'm gonna do things wrong with stuff like this so I just wanted to clarify on a couple challenges before I get started.

-For the collections and Critics & Connoisseurs challenges can we count what we've already read, or do we need to re-read those titles?

No re-reads necessary. You can check those off the list. :)

-For the shounen-ai challenge it says we can use series that we've started but not completed. Do we need to restart those series from the beginning?

No, but leave a note or mark them in italic with
[i]TEXT[/i]
, so we see that they were previously started.

-Do we need to include dates read in our challenge posts or only if the challenge needs to be done in a specific order?

No, if it's not required by the sign-up code (a la Shiritori-Challenge), you don't have to add dates. You can add them for your own sake, if you want though.

-Are we allowed to overlap challenges with the yearly challenge as long as it's not explicitly prohibited?

Yes, of course!

Sorry for so many questions, thank you for your time and for this club!

Thank you for the kind words! We hope you enjoy the challenges! If you have any other questions or suggestions, please feel free to ask here. Input is always welcome. :)
Mar 4, 2020 3:34 PM

Dec 2008
Thank you for your quick reply! That's good because I've read about a quarter of the C&C list already and I don't think my heart can take a re-read of Ashita no Joe yet :')

I love challenges like this, so if I have any suggestions I'll definitely let you know!

I guess my only remaining question is what do we do if the title isn't finalized in the database? Would we check it off on the challenge list and add it to our manga list once it's in the db? At least one of the Tezuka titles (Say Hello to Bookila!) is in that situation so I was curious as I'm going to work on that challenge.
Mar 4, 2020 4:03 PM

Mar 2016
letsgomeisei said:
Thank you for your quick reply! That's good because I've read about a quarter of the C&C list already and I don't think my heart can take a re-read of Ashita no Joe yet :')

I love challenges like this, so if I have any suggestions I'll definitely let you know!

I guess my only remaining question is what do we do if the title isn't finalized in the database? Would we check it off on the challenge list and add it to our manga list once it's in the db? At least one of the Tezuka titles (Say Hello to Bookila!) is in that situation so I was curious as I'm going to work on that challenge.

Haha, no, it would be a real turn off for many people, if they had to go through that many titles again. (Which could be a good thing though... hmmm... no, just kidding). :D
If a title is still ongoing in whatever way, you have to be up to date with the latest available title of your source material at the time of your turn in. Everything else that's getting released doesn't matter for the challenge (but your own reading experience though, hehe ;)). If a titles is still pending, you just check it off, yes. It might take a while until it gets finally approved, so there's no other way. ._.
Mar 4, 2020 4:22 PM

Dec 2008
Schlopsi said:

Haha, no, it would be a real turn off for many people, if they had to go through that many titles again. (Which could be a good thing though... hmmm... no, just kidding). :D
If a title is still ongoing in whatever way, you have to be up to date with the latest available title of your source material at the time of your turn in. Everything else that's getting released doesn't matter for the challenge (but your own reading experience though, hehe ;)). If a titles is still pending, you just check it off, yes. It might take a while until it gets finally approved, so there's no other way. ._.

Haha there's a new idea, the "Glutton for Punishment Challenge", re-read the longest 25 titles on your completed list...
Cool, so like the annual challenge then, if I'm reading the English print version that's what I have to be caught up to rather than scans or digital? And I'll do that, thank you again for your help!
Mar 4, 2020 4:31 PM

Mar 2016
letsgomeisei said:

Haha there's a new idea, the "Glutton for Punishment Challenge", re-read the longest 25 titles on your completed list...

*sweats*
Cool, so like the annual challenge then, if I'm reading the English print version that's what I have to be caught up to rather than scans or digital? And I'll do that, thank you again for your help!

Yep, exactly. It makes sense to note what kind of source you are referring to (i.e. english/other languages print copies or digital with i.e. Manga+, Cr, ...) to avoid any confusion, since we usually check with Mangaupdates on that.
Mar 21, 2020 3:53 PM

Dec 2015
Hello!

I was wondering if I could be given a substitute for the "Read a manga from Comic Megastore or Comic Unreal" requirement in the #03 challenge (I'd really rather not have to read hentai).
Mar 21, 2020 5:16 PM

Mar 2016
CoolCatCraze said:
Hello!

I was wondering if I could be given a substitute for the "Read a manga from Comic Megastore or Comic Unreal" requirement in the #03 challenge (I'd really rather not have to read hentai).

Ooof, that shouldn't have happened in the first place and we immediately switched them out. Thanks for noticing us! We replaced both of them with Read a manga from Betsucomi or Ribon Magazine. We hope this is way less delicate. ^^
Mar 21, 2020 5:22 PM

Dec 2015
Schlopsi said:
CoolCatCraze said:
Hello!

Ooof, that shouldn't have happened in the first place and we immediately switched them out. Thanks for noticing us! We replaced both of them with Read a manga from Betsucomi or Ribon Magazine. We hope this is way less delicate. ^^

Ah, that's a relief; thank you! :D
Mar 26, 2020 12:36 PM

Sep 2016
I can't click on the 2018 Manga Reading challenge. Is it just me? I can click on the other challenges just fine.

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Mar 26, 2020 1:17 PM

Mar 2016
TuryuriOwO said:
I can't click on the 2018 Manga Reading challenge. Is it just me? I can click on the other challenges just fine.

That's because it's a preview pic. :D It will come soon (tm).
Apr 29, 2020 11:52 PM

Oct 2016
So now the x2 challenges are new content only, which is disappointing since I was working on them already offline. I just hadn't signed up for them all yet. Am I able to start a x2 before I finish the 1st run through?
Apr 30, 2020 10:51 AM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
So now the x2 challenges are new content only, which is disappointing since I was working on them already offline. I just hadn't signed up for them all yet. Am I able to start a x2 before I finish the 1st run through?

Start date for a challenge is always the date you post (this is due inspection to see if something was previously read). You can only start with x2, once you wrapped up x1.
So x2 will require new titles to be read from the point you've signed up for the x2 run.
Challenges are still challenges, and the "easy mode" usually only applies to the easy difficulty - or in this case - the first run. Anything else would be a bit too convenient. :)
Jun 22, 2020 11:01 AM

Oct 2016
Most challenges you can't use something previously read except for on easy. There is a series I've been wanting to re-read. After I re-read it, can I use it then? ty!
Jun 22, 2020 12:29 PM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
Most challenges you can't use something previously read except for on easy. There is a series I've been wanting to re-read. After I re-read it, can I use it then? ty!

Only if it's allowed according to the rules and the difficulty, sorry. Please feel free to reread it on your own then.
Jun 22, 2020 12:44 PM

Oct 2016
Schlopsi said:
foxxykat1223 said:

Only if it's allowed according to the rules and the difficulty, sorry. Please feel free to reread it on your own then.

The Nekoka Danshi no Shitsukekata series is the one I'm planning on re-reading which is going to take awhile. I'm working on organizing my manga for the Romance Challenge and some of these can fit into it. As far as I can tell, it just says....

- Previously read is not allowed EXCEPT for Easy difficulty the first time through.
(Make all previously read entries in italics.)
- Manga previously started, but not finished, may be used.

It doesn't say you can't re-read anything. I just want to make sure since this is a long series. Thanks!

foxxykat1223Jun 22, 2020 1:31 PM
Jun 22, 2020 1:21 PM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
Schlopsi said:

The Nekoka Danshi no Shitsukekata series is the one I'm planning on re-reading which is going to take awhile. I'm working on organizing my manga for the Romance Challenge and some of these can fit into it. As far as I can tell, it just says
- Previously read is not allowed EXCEPT for Easy difficulty the first time through.
(Make all previously read entries in italics.)
- Manga previously started, but not finished, may be used.

It doesn't say you can't re-read anything. I just want to make sure since this is a long series. Thanks!

- Previously read is not allowed EXCEPT for Easy difficulty the first time through. < there it says, previously read isn't allowed... except... :D
If you haven't finished Easy difficulty (x1) yet, you can use it and mark as pre-read. In that case we don't mind you rereading it, since it doesn't really change the fact that it was read already. If you have finished Easy (x1) already, then it can't be used, even if it's being read again. The point of the challenges is to discover new stuff.

- Manga previously started, but not finished, may be used. refers to manga you have started reading before you signed up for a challenge, but not finished (manga). Those can be used if you wish. But this also excludes manga you've already completed before signing up.
Hope this clears things up.
Jul 10, 2020 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
Hello!

I've got a question about The Released 20xx Challenges:

"First run only: You CAN use manga you've already read - it is highly recommended and appreciated to read something you haven't read yet, though.
Previously read is not allowed for x2. "

Can I use previously started, but not finished series for the 2nd run?
Thanks for the answer^^
Jul 10, 2020 12:12 PM

Mar 2016
lubryka said:
Hello!

I've got a question about The Released 20xx Challenges:

"First run only: You CAN use manga you've already read - it is highly recommended and appreciated to read something you haven't read yet, though.
Previously read is not allowed for x2. "

Can I use previously started, but not finished series for the 2nd run?
Thanks for the answer^^

Yes, you can. Time to work on that on-hold list of yours. ;D
Jul 12, 2020 10:24 AM

Oct 2016
Not a question but a discovery. For the Fantasy Challenge. In the 2nd set of completed badges, the one that's supposed to be for Hard is actually another Easy. Never noticed it until now when I started to organize my challenges. >.<
Jul 13, 2020 1:20 AM

Mar 2016
foxxykat1223 said:
Not a question but a discovery. For the Fantasy Challenge. In the 2nd set of completed badges, the one that's supposed to be for Hard is actually another Easy. Never noticed it until now when I started to organize my challenges. >.<

Woops! There was the wrong embeded code. Fixed it in the thread and added a batch of new ones as well! Here you go:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/K4bNnK0.jpg/FANTASYComplHard[/img]
Jul 13, 2020 5:46 AM

Oct 2016
Thank you! Not sure when I'll manage to complete Hard but it's nice to have them ready for when I do. >.<
Jul 14, 2020 10:42 PM

Dec 2018
On the one shot challenge it seems unclear whether it is 45 total one shots or 90 (15easy+30medium+45hard levels) total one shots.

The OP's post has only 45, but some others have seperate levels.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Halloween Special ( 1 2 3 )

Schlopsi - Oct 5, 2019

108 by Syesta »»
Sep 12, 1:56 AM

» Arts and Crafts Challenge ( 1 2 )

fraideii - Nov 18, 2019

96 by Syesta »»
Sep 12, 1:54 AM

» Shiritori-Challenge ( 1 2 )

Schlopsi - Apr 21, 2018

70 by Syesta »»
Sep 12, 1:54 AM

» Alpha-Manga Challenge ( 1 2 3 4 )

riho88riho - Jan 24, 2017

159 by Syesta »»
Sep 12, 1:53 AM

» Alpha-Mangaka Challenge ( 1 2 )

abystoma2 - Nov 20, 2017

91 by Syesta »»
Sep 12, 1:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.