Forum Settings
Forums

2020 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until NOV 30)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Feb 28, 2020 8:09 PM

Nov 2008
Can Promare be used to (B.22) Watch an anime with no Japanese words or phrases in the title or (B.27) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field ?
Feb 29, 2020 2:43 AM
Nov 2019
Can Fune wo Amu be used for (S.29) "Watch an anime with at least 3 human adults as main characters"?
Feb 29, 2020 7:44 AM
Feb 2018
Can Shinra "Devil" Kusakabe be used for B27. "Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field" considering that he is a Fire Officer Second Class in the 8th Special Fire Brigade?
Feb 29, 2020 7:48 AM

Apr 2014
Lady-Murder said:
Can Promare be used to (B.22) Watch an anime with no Japanese words or phrases in the title or (B.27) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field ?

Both would be fine as Promare seems to have Latin origins and the MC is a firefighter by profession.

Loxem said:
Can Fune wo Amu be used for (S.29) "Watch an anime with at least 3 human adults as main characters"?

No, as it only has 2 main characters.

Milenkovic997 said:
Can Shinra "Devil" Kusakabe be used for B27. "Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field" considering that he is a Fire Officer Second Class in the 8th Special Fire Brigade?

Yes, that would be valid.

Good Lord, BeanChagBear just walked through the clubhouse walking perfectly normally.
He said he had “no time” to talk.
Too busy watching anime, evidently.
Feb 29, 2020 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
Hello there, this year I'm atempting my first restriciton which is Neat Freak and I'm wondering if I need to keep a screenshot of my history and add it to the form. I've been doing it even without asking, but i missed the last 2 weeks and thought it would be best to confirm if it's required.
Feb 29, 2020 2:33 PM

Apr 2014
Momokolo said:
Hello there, this year I'm atempting my first restriciton which is Neat Freak and I'm wondering if I need to keep a screenshot of my history and add it to the form. I've been doing it even without asking, but i missed the last 2 weeks and thought it would be best to confirm if it's required.

This is not required.

(character limit)

Good Lord, BeanChagBear just walked through the clubhouse walking perfectly normally.
Feb 29, 2020 5:07 PM

Dec 2016
I have a doubt If I watched Kono Oto Tomare! for " (S.04) Watch an anime by a studio you haven't seen anything from". Can I watch Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season for" (S.24) Watch an anime with the word "Season" in the title" or that would invalidate S.04 because after I watch Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season I will have two shows from Platinum Vision listed ? What I want to know is if I have to avoid to watch any show from Platinum Vision until I turn in my challenge.

Feb 29, 2020 5:29 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Ginoza said:
I have a doubt If I watched Kono Oto Tomare! for " (S.04) Watch an anime by a studio you haven't seen anything from". Can I watch Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season for" (S.24) Watch an anime with the word "Season" in the title" or that would invalidate S.04 because after I watch Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season I will have two shows from Platinum Vision listed ? What I want to know is if I have to avoid to watch any show from Platinum Vision until I turn in my challenge.

That would be fine. As long as Kono Oto Tomare is the first anime you've ever watched from that studio, it will be valid for S.04 regardless of what you watch later.

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Mar 1, 2020 6:59 AM
Jul 2017
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what is the basis in checking if a certain anime follows a certain time restriction set by a certain requirement? Like for example in (G.11), the requirement says to watch an anime with 2 or more episodes that are each 30 minutes or more. Do I have to individually check each episode to make sure each one is 30 minutes or more, or is it enough to take the duration per episode written in the MAL page of the anime at face value?
Mar 1, 2020 7:10 AM

Apr 2014
anonimus_opinion said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what is the basis in checking if a certain anime follows a certain time restriction set by a certain requirement? Like for example in (G.11), the requirement says to watch an anime with 2 or more episodes that are each 30 minutes or more. Do I have to individually check each episode to make sure each one is 30 minutes or more, or is it enough to take the duration per episode written in the MAL page of the anime at face value?

Those items will go by the listed values on MAL.

Mar 1, 2020 8:49 AM

Sep 2009
anonimus_opinion said:
BeanChagBear said:

Those items will go by the listed values on MAL.

I'm sorry, but just to make sure, that means something like Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai would work for (G.11)?

Yes, Kubikiri Cycle is fine for this item.
Mar 1, 2020 10:03 PM

Sep 2018
Just wanna make sure but for (B.27) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field, would Kraft Lawrence work, he's a Travel Merchant

Also for (B.22) Watch an anime with no Japanese words or phrases in the title, could Flip flappers be used
Mar 2, 2020 12:16 AM

Sep 2009
Rainling said:
Just wanna make sure but for (B.27) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field, would Kraft Lawrence work, he's a Travel Merchant

Also for (B.22) Watch an anime with no Japanese words or phrases in the title, could Flip flappers be used

Yes, both are fine.
character limit
Mar 2, 2020 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
i'm practically brand new to this website but i'd really like to participate, though i just don't understand the rules, it's too much to take in at once.

could someone give me a quick how to get started? sorry for the inconvenience, i just got confused with the posting a reply part idk how exactly to start??
Mar 2, 2020 9:36 PM

May 2017
rometrache said:
i'm practically brand new to this website but i'd really like to participate, though i just don't understand the rules, it's too much to take in at once.

could someone give me a quick how to get started? sorry for the inconvenience, i just got confused with the posting a reply part idk how exactly to start??

We do have a step by step guide here.

You can also ask questions on our Discord Server.
Mar 2, 2020 11:36 PM
Oct 2017
Please check out my list ،
So I can move on to the next challenge

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1818368&show=379#msg58930777

Thank you πŸ€—
kiv7Mar 2, 2020 11:47 PM
Mar 3, 2020 8:28 AM

May 2017
kiv7 said:
Please check out my list ،
So I can move on to the next challenge

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1818368&show=379#msg58930777

Thank you πŸ€—

First thing I noticed is that there are some coding errors going on in there - I think you forgot to copy and paste the bottom section of the form.

The anime and the extra info need to each be on their own line, like this:
[Started: feb 29] [Finished: feb 29] (B.14) Watch an anime with a popularity lower than #700 and a total duration of 16 minutes or more
Omoide Poroporo
[Popularity when Completed:γ€€1484γ€€]

If you are going for the Torch Bearer additional title, you will also need to fix your dates so that they are in a consistent format - some of them have capitals and some don't. Also all extra information needs to be in square brackets.

For the Bronze DATE FORMAT, you don't need to have a date there so you can remove the entire line if you don't want it.

You might be waiting until the end (which is absolutely fine), but just a friendly reminder to please make sure to remove the items you did not use before turning in.

As for the items themselves, doing a brief check it looks okay (please note I did not do a detailed check).
AeradaeMar 3, 2020 8:33 AM
Mar 4, 2020 3:54 AM

Apr 2009
Do I take it that the tiered system went really well last year, and is here to (pretty much) stay?
Mar 4, 2020 8:19 AM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
RulenneClarissa said:
Do I take it that the tiered system went really well last year
Yes, it went really well.

and is here to (pretty much) stay?
We haven't discussed the 2021 challenge yet.

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Mar 4, 2020 8:21 AM

Apr 2009
dierubikdie said:
RulenneClarissa said:
Do I take it that the tiered system went really well last year
Yes, it went really well.

and is here to (pretty much) stay?

We haven't discussed the 2021 challenge yet.
Okay, thanks. Guess I'll wait to see what next year will bring then :3
(I'm personally not a fan of the tiered system, but if it works it works)
Mar 6, 2020 9:26 AM

Mar 2015
Hey there!

Question: will i be able to use RikeKoi for "watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field" ?

Or do these characters not count as pro scientists yet?
Mar 6, 2020 11:15 AM

Apr 2010
PhKay said:
Hey there!

Question: will i be able to use RikeKoi for "watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field" ?

Or do these characters not count as pro scientists yet?

Both of the main characters are still college students, and thus not professionals yet.
Mar 6, 2020 8:16 PM

Dec 2016
Is Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu valid for "(S.14) Watch an anime that's tagged as Sports and features an Olympic Sport" ? According to the synopsis it features the japanese version of archery but they don't use the same kind of bow that is used in the olympic games.
Mar 7, 2020 6:45 AM

Nov 2010
I have also question in screenshots. I'm not sure if this means "Stats (screenshots suggested - include your username in the screenshot)" that they are voluntarily or that you have to have screenshots in order for challenge to be completed? Some of the wordings threw me off.
Mar 7, 2020 10:45 AM

Apr 2014
Ginoza said:
Is Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu valid for "(S.14) Watch an anime that's tagged as Sports and features an Olympic Sport" ? According to the synopsis it features the japanese version of archery but they don't use the same kind of bow that is used in the olympic games.

While not exactly the type of archery featured in the Olympics, it is still heavily featuring archery and has been deemed valid for that item.

mrpoojeen said:
Hello.

Regarding the screenshots we need provide to some items, do we need to upload them at the same day they were taken (using the upload date as a sort of "proof") or would it be ok if I uploaded a batch of the screenshots I've taken throughout the challenge right before turning in?

The screenshots can be uploaded anytime to your preferred image hosting site and then can be linked to within your form in a separate extra line from the anime. Upload time does not matter, only when the screenshot was taken.

KomaDoll said:
I have also question in screenshots. I'm not sure if this means "Stats (screenshots suggested - include your username in the screenshot)" that they are voluntarily or that you have to have screenshots in order for challenge to be completed? Some of the wordings threw me off.

Items that require screenshots are stated as such in the explanations of that item. For items with screenshot suggestions, they are not required but for items involving stats that may change, it is in your best interest to save a screenshot.

Mar 7, 2020 10:55 AM

Nov 2010
BeanChagBear said:
Ginoza said:

While not exactly the type of archery featured in the Olympics, it is still heavily featuring archery and has been deemed valid for that item.

mrpoojeen said:
Hello.

Regarding the screenshots we need provide to some items, do we need to upload them at the same day they were taken (using the upload date as a sort of "proof") or would it be ok if I uploaded a batch of the screenshots I've taken throughout the challenge right before turning in?

The screenshots can be uploaded anytime to your preferred image hosting site and then can be linked to within your form in a separate extra line from the anime. Upload time does not matter, only when the screenshot was taken.

KomaDoll said:

Items that require screenshots are stated as such in the explanations of that item. For items with screenshot suggestions, they are not required but for items involving stats that may change, it is in your best interest to save a screenshot.

I think they are suggestions? But these are definitely items where stats change, however I have already completed them and I don't have screenshots taken. Since it's suggested it's alright though to leave them without?
Mar 7, 2020 11:19 AM

May 2017
KomaDoll said:
BeanChagBear said:

I think they are suggestions? But these are definitely items where stats change, however I have already completed them and I don't have screenshots taken. Since it's suggested it's alright though to leave them without?

If it's a suggested one you don't need to attach a screenshot - we only suggest it in case an anime's stats change a lot and the item becomes invalid. If you're comfortable that they won't change much, then it's fine without. If it's one that says we require a screenshot then you'll have to go back and add them.
Mar 7, 2020 11:25 AM

Nov 2010
Aeradae said:
KomaDoll said:

If it's a suggested one you don't need to attach a screenshot - we only suggest it in case an anime's stats change a lot and the item becomes invalid. If you're comfortable that they won't change much, then it's fine without. If it's one that says we require a screenshot then you'll have to go back and add them.

If the change is within limits of the challenge- like with challenge: "(S.09) Watch an anime with a popularity lower than #2,000 and a total duration of 16 minutes or more" the popularity rises, but is still lower #2000 will it stay valid? Cause if that's case I'm quite comfortable leaving them as they are.

Mar 7, 2020 11:47 AM

Apr 2014
KomaDoll said:
Aeradae said:

If the change is within limits of the challenge- like with challenge: "(S.09) Watch an anime with a popularity lower than #2,000 and a total duration of 16 minutes or more" the popularity rises, but is still lower #2000 will it stay valid? Cause if that's case I'm quite comfortable leaving them as they are.

Yes, that's fine. The stats can change after you watch them as long as they are still valid.

Mar 7, 2020 11:52 AM

Nov 2010
BeanChagBear said:
KomaDoll said:

Yes, that's fine. The stats can change after you watch them as long as they are still valid.

Thanks for advice for both of u ^^

I think i'll try to avoid doing more screenshot ones just to be sure, but I'm confident i will be fine with the ones I got so far.
Mar 7, 2020 12:47 PM
Jul 2019
Is it possible to join after the event has started or no?
Mar 7, 2020 12:49 PM

May 2017
Buggbot3000 said:

Yes you can still sign up whenever you'd like in the main thread ^^
Mar 7, 2020 1:13 PM
Jul 2019
Aeradae said:
Buggbot3000 said:

Yes you can still sign up whenever you'd like in the main thread ^^

Thank you! I have signed up just now :D
Mar 7, 2020 11:13 PM
Feb 2018
Question for S.5 Watch an anime by a director that made one of your Favorite Anime
If my favorite anime is Violet Evergarden, am i allowed to watch Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou (the movie) considering its the same story, or must it be a different story by the same director, thanks
Mar 8, 2020 5:17 AM
Oct 2017
Hi πŸ€—
I need help πŸ€” (S.21) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

Thank you ☺
Mar 8, 2020 5:23 AM
Oct 2017
Milenkovic997 said:
Question for S.5 Watch an anime by a director that made one of your Favorite Anime
If my favorite anime is Violet Evergarden, am i allowed to watch Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou (the movie) considering its the same story, or must it be a different story by the same director, thanks

πŸ€” As far as I know, anything is possible as long as he is the director of your favorite anime
Mar 8, 2020 9:38 AM

Apr 2011
Milenkovic997 said:

They are different entries in the database, so it's fine to use the movie for S.5
kiv7 said:
Hi πŸ€—
I need help πŸ€” (S.21) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

Thank you ☺

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32827/B__The_Beginning
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34636/Ballroom_e_Youkoso
https://myanimelist.net/anime/4981/Casshern_Sins
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2775/Genocyber
https://myanimelist.net/anime/777/Hellsing_Ultimate
https://myanimelist.net/anime/24439/Kekkai_Sensen
https://myanimelist.net/anime/593/Mugen_no_Ryvius
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34547/Shoukoku_no_Altair

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Mar 8, 2020 9:34 PM

Dec 2016
BeanChagBear said:
Ginoza said:

Thank you, I am glad that it is valid, I was looking forward to watch an anime featuring a not so widespread sport for that item.
GinozaMar 8, 2020 9:53 PM
Mar 9, 2020 11:30 AM

Aug 2015
Is it valid to use one of the retired MAL AWC Staff Collections for "(B.24) Watch an anime from one of the MAL AWC Staff Collections"? I began watching Kimetsu no Yaiba because it's on Yuki's Summit Of Entertainment, but she seems to be one of the retired Staff members.

Mar 9, 2020 3:20 PM

May 2017
A_Fine_Egg said:
Is it valid to use one of the retired MAL AWC Staff Collections for "(B.24) Watch an anime from one of the MAL AWC Staff Collections"? I began watching Kimetsu no Yaiba because it's on Yuki's Summit Of Entertainment, but she seems to be one of the retired Staff members.

Yes, you can use retired staff as well ^^
Mar 10, 2020 10:06 AM
Mikuru Beam!

Apr 2011
Was curious if Bungou Stray Dogs would count for:

Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field — state the character and profession; they must get paid for their services - like a chef, detective, artist and so on.

It says detective outright so I assume so, but just wanted to double-check! Thanks!

Mar 10, 2020 10:24 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Time for a recommendation: (S.21) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

I'd appreciate it if you can rec me some from the Winter 2020 season. They have to be TV and have 20+ min. eps. Thanks in advance!
Yuki-Mar 10, 2020 10:36 AM
Mar 10, 2020 10:38 AM

Dec 2016
Yuki-Chan276 said:
Time for a recommendation: (S.21) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

I'd appreciate it if you can rec me some from the Winter 2020 season. They have to be TV and have 20+ eps. Thanks in advance!

Okoshiyasu, Chitose-chan
Nodame Cantabile
Hachimitsu to Clover
Mar 10, 2020 8:32 PM

Jun 2008
For B.25 (Watch an anime that finished airing with 11 or more episodes and has a synopsis by MAL Rewrite), can we use a currently airing show from this season that is ending this month (and I am also currently watching it) or does the show have to already be finished when we start it?

[edit- had another question but I found an alternative anime to use for it]

I am looking at my seasonal anime and seeing if I can use some of the ones ending soon to help fill in some gaps. Thank you in advance.

animegeek4lifeMar 10, 2020 10:01 PM
Mar 10, 2020 10:41 PM

Jul 2015
Yuki-Chan276 said:

I'd appreciate it if you can rec me some from the Winter 2020 season. They have to be TV and have 20+ min. eps. Thanks in advance!

Hey Hey!, Dont know if you remember, but last year you Recommended me some good anime (i saw Hyouka and recently used Gakuen babysitters for one entry).
Guess its my time to return the favor :) [although no 2020's anime, sorry]

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Hinamatsuri
Inuyashiki
Kill la Kill
Noragami
Ookami to Koushinryou
Shirobako

Also, those two are worth watching, but are not in your list
School Rumble
Katanagatari

animegeek4life said:
For B.25 (Watch an anime that finished airing with 11 or more episodes and has a synopsis by MAL Rewrite), can we use a currently airing show from this season that is ending this month (and I am also currently watching it) or does the show have to already be finished when we start it?

You can watch it, yes, you only need to start and finish the anime while in the Bronze Tier

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, im using this reply to tag @SheyCroix or @Aeradae for "(G.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member"
i was going to tag Yuki-Chan but she retired :(

Challenge Post
My Plan To Watch (but i accept recommendations outside of my list)
DigoligoMar 10, 2020 11:13 PM
Mar 10, 2020 10:44 PM

Jun 2008
Digoligo said:
animegeek4life said:

You can watch it, yes, you only need to start and finish the anime while in the Bronze Tier

Thank you and will do!
I am updating my bronze list now with shows that will end this month and I will start the next level with the next season/when these end. ^^
Mar 11, 2020 2:09 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Digoligo said:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Hey Hey!, Dont know if you remember, but last year you Recommended me some good anime (i saw Hyouka and recently used Gakuen babysitters for one entry).
Guess its my time to return the favor :) [although no 2020's anime, sorry]

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Hinamatsuri
Inuyashiki
Kill la Kill
Noragami
Ookami to Koushinryou
Shirobako

Also, those two are worth watching, but are not in your list
School Rumble
Katanagatari

animegeek4life said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, im using this reply to tag @SheyCroix or @Aeradae for "(G.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member"
i was going to tag Yuki-Chan but she retired :(

Challenge Post
My Plan To Watch (but i accept recommendations outside of my list)

Oh, yes. I do remember. Thank you for the recs~

Also, yes, sorry. I did retire for some personal reasons. Might be back later but that won't be useful for you...
Mar 11, 2020 2:12 AM

Apr 2010
animegeek4life said:

Any item with "finished airing" in the description means that it must have finished airing before you start watching it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you consider yourself a honorary Japanese?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

40 by KittenCuddler »»
2 minutes ago

» How often can you accurately guess a person's gender based on their favorite anime?

Ejrodiew - Oct 15

19 by Deathko »»
3 minutes ago

» Which childhood abilities did you deem unimpressive but now get interested in?

SgtBateMan - 9 hours ago

6 by Leonardo36 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you enjoy seeing anime characters suffer?

Ejrodiew - 8 hours ago

29 by sbyrstall2 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Brand New Anime Franchises of 2024

FriendlyPaw - Oct 18

30 by UberBat »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.