Forum Settings
Forums

2020 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until NOV 30)

Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jan 8, 12:47 AM

Challenge Period: January 01, 2020 to November 30, 2020 (PST)
Use this thread to
  • Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do, add this: @AWC_mod
    --- When donating badges, if possible, share the links within code tags (for easier copying) since each post will be linked in the banners post.
    [code]image(s) here[/code]

--- Also keep in mind the signature restrictions.
    SignatureRestrictions said:
    Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
    b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
    c. be NSFM.
  • Alternatively, join the discussion on Discord and help others, ask questions and/or give suggestions related to the challenge.

Avoid in this thread

• Posting comments unrelated to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

A kind participant decided to share a script to get your username in all screenshots. Since it's long, please check the post to see how it works.
lifeiscrazy said:
Hi guys!

As we all know, it's super duper important to have your username shown on screenshots @ MAL for Official AWC. But, for myself, with my petite 13 inch laptop, I always struggled to screenshot the stats far below, along with my username up top.

Why MAL doesn't have a sticky header is beyond me, so, while a few days ago I was complaining about that to Aeradae, today I thought; why the heck not try to fix it with a simple CSS script.

So, that's what I did.

It's been tested and works with most of the popular dark themes.

[...]

Another kind participant decided to prepare a spreadsheet that will help our participants to update their posts.
Dysp said:
Hi @AWC_mod,

I'm done updating last year's challenge spreadsheet.
Everything is written in this blog post

Changes
— Jan 11: added donations quoted above
Modified by AWC_mod, Jan 11, 6:47 PM
2020 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign UpDiscussion

2020 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign UpDiscussion

Discord server for AWC/MRC

Jan 8, 12:49 AM

Regular Info to help around.

FORUM SET
Modified by SheyCroix, Jan 20, 11:34 AM

Jan 8, 12:52 AM

Yay it's up! Looking forward to another fun year of anime :)

Jan 8, 1:37 AM

2020 AWC

arderine's challenge banners

how to: just copy the image code and paste it
wherever it is you want to use it. it can be your
profile, blog, signature, forum post, and so on.

Modified by arderine, Jan 8, 7:22 AM
โ—ใ€€โ—ใ€€โœฉ โ”€โ”€

Jan 8, 1:52 AM

Do you plan to do sections challenge every year now ? :(
I hate it

Jan 8, 2:28 AM

Is there a minimum total length requirement an anime must meet to be used in this challenge? I thought I saw something about that when I first read through the rules, but I can't find it now.

For example, could I use Attakai, Fuyu Canada to complete
(B.01) Watch an ONA
even though it's only 31 seconds long?

Jan 8, 2:51 AM

Deskbot000 said:
Is there a minimum total length requirement an anime must meet to be used in this challenge? I thought I saw something about that when I first read through the rules, but I can't find it now.

For example, could I use Attakai, Fuyu Canada to complete
(B.01) Watch an ONA
even though it's only 31 seconds long?

If there's no required minutes stated for the item, then you can use anything.

Jan 8, 3:19 AM

(D.01) says 75 episodes in the Diamond Medalist Challenge List with Explanations post, but 100 episodes in the Diamond Medalist sign up code. Which number is correct?

Jan 8, 3:22 AM

Hello i have a question regarding (B.27)
Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field — state the character and profession; they must get paid for their services - like a chef, detective, artist and so on. If unsure, ask in the discussion thread or our discord server

Would Shirayuki in Akagami no Shirayuki-hime as a Pharmacist be valid for this item?

AWC_mod said:

Jan 01 - Sep 29 || Angelic Expert, Persistent Master of TV || #2297 || #76 || @ManuelB87

Jan 8, 3:40 AM

@AWC_mod
I made a whole bunch of banners for this years AWC that I'd like to donate :) The codes are underneath each banner for convenience.
Good luck to everybody participating, and good luck to all the mods who will be busy all year! You've got this (๏ผพโ–ฝ๏ผพ)

Participant

Completed

Modified by lowaltitude, Jan 8, 7:31 AM

Jan 8, 4:22 AM

Could anyone please check if I'm doing this correctly?
Mostly, what I want to know is can I put anime that I've watched since jan 01,2020?

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1818368&show=150#msg58928919

Jan 8, 4:26 AM

@dixcloxure
Yes, you can use any anime watched this year.

Jan 8, 4:50 AM

On my sign up, do I have to keep the UTC/GMT or can I use my own time zone (CST)?

Jan 8, 5:01 AM

Bayek said:
On my sign up, do I have to keep the UTC/GMT or can I use my own time zone (CST)?
You should be using your own time zone.
» "reality doesn't change, it never changes
that's why i'll change it with my own strength" «

Jan 8, 5:31 AM

Lestat- said:
Bayek said:
You should be using your own time zone.
Aye, thanks. I didn't mean to ask the obvious, just wasn't sure if it had to be put a specific way (i.e. UTC-6 vs CST).

Jan 8, 6:01 AM
Space Brother

Hope everyone has fun!

@AWC_mod here are some more banners:

Modified by dierubikdie, Jan 8, 8:34 AM
"An earnest failure has meaning."
"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."

Jan 8, 7:37 AM

I've got a question about a Neat Freak restriction. I've completed Binchou-tan on January 3rd and started watching Papuwa on the same day. Can I still use both of those series or does the second series I watch have to have a later start day (e.g. Jan 04)?

[Started: Jan 02] [Finished: Jan 03] (B.02) Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less: Binchou-tan
[Started: Jan 03] [Finished: DATE] (B.07) Watch an anime in which one of your favorite people participated: Papuwa

Jan 8, 7:38 AM
Anime is Love!

I swear there is a rule that unless stated otherwise all anime must be 15 minutes long or more. I can't find it on the rules this year. Is this still correct?

Jan 8, 8:07 AM
Space Brother

lubryka said:
I've got a question about a Neat Freak restriction. I've completed Binchou-tan on January 3rd and started watching Papuwa on the same day. Can I still use both of those series or does the second series I watch have to have a later start day (e.g. Jan 04)?

[Started: Jan 02] [Finished: Jan 03] (B.02) Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less: Binchou-tan
[Started: Jan 03] [Finished: DATE] (B.07) Watch an anime in which one of your favorite people participated: Papuwa

That's fine, as long as you still completely finish one item before starting the next.

Nerdiee said:
I swear there is a rule that unless stated otherwise all anime must be 15 minutes long or more. I can't find it on the rules this year. Is this still correct?
Nope, that wasn't a rule last year and it's not this year either. There is an optional restriction called Marathon where all of your anime must have an episode duration of 20 minutes or more, but it's optional.

Jan 8, 9:59 AM

Deskbot000 said:
(D.01) says 75 episodes in the Diamond Medalist Challenge List with Explanations post, but 100 episodes in the Diamond Medalist sign up code. Which number is correct?

75 is correct - code has been fixed. Thanks for pointing that out ^^

ManuelB87 said:
Hello i have a question regarding (B.27)
Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field — state the character and profession; they must get paid for their services - like a chef, detective, artist and so on. If unsure, ask in the discussion thread or our discord server

Would Shirayuki in Akagami no Shirayuki-hime as a Pharmacist be valid for this item?

Yes that would be valid.
[โ˜…โ˜…] Official 2020 AWC
[โ˜…โ˜…] Official 2020 MRC
[โ˜…โ˜…] AWC/MRC Discord Server

[โ˜…โ˜…] AWCC Tracking

Jan 8, 10:30 AM

Nice, we're still stuck with watching anime in sequence again. I wasn't going to put a tv + marathon restriction this year (especially since you don't get bonus points for restrictions anymore in the Anime Watching Challenge Club), but seeing that this year's challenge is practically the same as last year (but with a Olympics theme), well this pretty much sets my decision in stone.
Modified by kallah, Jan 8, 10:33 AM

Jan 8, 10:47 AM
Excited to get started!

I have one question: I've watched a few episodes of Mob Season 2 but haven't watched in months. Was planning to start the season fresh so I can watch in a single watch-through. Will this be a disqualification if I use it as a challenge item?

Jan 8, 10:59 AM

IrrelevantGeOff said:
Excited to get started!

I have one question: I've watched a few episodes of Mob Season 2 but haven't watched in months. Was planning to start the season fresh so I can watch in a single watch-through. Will this be a disqualification if I use it as a challenge item?

Anime started before January 01, 2020 cannot be used for the challenge. It is up to you if you want to delete your entry for Mob Psycho S2 and start anew so that we can no longer accurately check whether you actually watched it during the challenge period, but we don't encourage this.

Jan 8, 11:06 AM
Lestat- said:
IrrelevantGeOff said:
Excited to get started!

Anime started before January 01, 2020 cannot be used for the challenge. It is up to you if you want to delete your entry for Mob Psycho S2 and start anew so that we can no longer accurately check whether you actually watched it during the challenge period, but we don't encourage this.

Ah that's a shame. I understand if you're not re-watching the episodes or something... regardless I don't want to step on any toes or risk disqualification lol. I'll stick to new watches only then.

Jan 8, 11:25 AM

Yay, a new Anime Watching Challenge!
Have fun everyone and lets hope I can actually watch a lot more this year.

Also is there a reason why all the months are laid out like that for every diificulty or is that just to show that we need to use the first 3 letters of every month when specifying the month we started and ended the difficulty?

Jan 8, 12:57 PM

PrOxAnto said:

Also is there a reason why all the months are laid out like that for every diificulty or is that just to show that we need to use the first 3 letters of every month when specifying the month we started and ended the difficulty?

The months are laid out at the top because we would like all participants to use that date format this year. You are welcome to remove them if you'd like to make your post less bulky ^^

[โ˜…โ˜…] AWCC Tracking

Jan 8, 1:27 PM
For a personal challenge I want to try and watch every challenge during 2020 because I don't really have a life outside of school. I was wondering if I am required to say 20 for Bronze and 5 for Diamond or if I am able to turn it more than that. Even if I'm not allowed to, I'm still hype for the challenge.

Jan 8, 1:38 PM

TArzate5 said:
For a personal challenge I want to try and watch every challenge during 2020 because I don't really have a life outside of school. I was wondering if I am required to say 20 for Bronze and 5 for Diamond or if I am able to turn it more than that. Even if I'm not allowed to, I'm still hype for the challenge.

If you would like to do all the items, you are more than welcome to. However for the sake of inspections, when you turn in your challenge later on please put all of the extra anime at the bottom of your challenge in a spoiler tag.

[โ˜…โ˜…] AWCC Tracking

Jan 8, 1:42 PM

Aeradae said:
PrOxAnto said:

The months are laid out at the top because we would like all participants to use that date format this year. You are welcome to remove them if you'd like to make your post less bulky ^^

I don't mind using them, I just dont know what the use for it is.
Are we supposed to point out the months used for Bronze / Silver etc or underline them?

I feel like I'm thinking too much about this part ... sorry x)

Jan 8, 1:48 PM

@PrOxAnto
This is the date format that participants should use for the watching dates for the items.

Months are listed because last year we had few who used non-English names.

Jan 8, 1:48 PM
Space Brother

PrOxAnto said:
Aeradae said:

Are we supposed to point out the months used for Bronze / Silver etc or underline them?

Some participants may not know the standard abbreviations for the months (e.g. non-native English speakers), so they're just listed there as examples.

Jan 8, 1:59 PM

mozgow said:
@PrOxAnto
This is the date format that participants should use for the watching dates for the items.

Months are listed because last year we had few who used non-English names.
dierubikdie said:
PrOxAnto said:

Some participants may not know the standard abbreviations for the months (e.g. non-native English speakers), so they're just listed there as examples.

Ooooohh ... appreciate it both of you!
See, a lot easier than what I thought it was for :D

Jan 8, 4:43 PM

Hi guys!

As we all know, it's super duper important to have your username shown on screenshots @ MAL for Official AWC. But, for myself, with my petite 13 inch laptop, I always struggled to screenshot the stats far below, along with my username up top.

Why MAL doesn't have a sticky header is beyond me, so, while a few days ago I was complaining about that to @Aeradae, today I thought; why the heck not try to fix it with a simple CSS script.

So, that's what I did.

It's been tested and works with most of the popular dark themes.

How it works
1. Install the Stylus extension for the browser of your preference. [Google Chrome | Firefox | Opera]
don't use Stylish. They gather your data and stuff
2. Head over to userstyles.org for the MAL Sticky Menu and hit the blue "Install this style" button.
3. You'll probably get some message like "Install 'MAL Sticky Menu' into Stylus?". Hit OK.
4. Go back to MAL, scroll away, browse some anime, manga, people, genre or studio and see the difference.

Tadaa, you're done!~
Alternatively, if you don't want to install a new extension, but you do have either tampermonkey or greasemonkey installed. You can install the style as a userscript instead by clicking the link "Install style as userscript" just above the discussion. I haven't tested this myself, but userstyles.org offers that functionality.

This style has been tested for compatibility with the following dark mode styles:
- Dark/Night MyAnimeList (no issues)
- MyAnimeList DeepDark (no issues)
- MyAnimeList.net - Dark Theme (due to the header being transparent, it's nice to make the background of #headerSmall black instead of transparent)

If you notice any things that are off. Let me know แƒฆ
Modified by lifeiscrazy, Jan 11, 1:18 AM

Jan 8, 6:01 PM

For item "8. Watch an anime that has a higher score than a listed adaptation (under related anime)" for the Diamond Medal, does the adaptation need to be the anime source?
Modified by Amidach, Jan 8, 6:06 PM

Jan 8, 6:58 PM
six feet under

@AWC_mod heyo made some banners; included the codes as well. hope everyone does well this year โœจ

Jan 8, 8:09 PM

Is there a preferred method for uploading screenshots or just whatever works?
Gluomme said:
please go to hell and stop asking to be my friend

Jan 8, 8:52 PM
Space Brother

Amidach said:
For item "8. Watch an anime that has a higher score than a listed adaptation (under related anime)" for the Diamond Medal, does the adaptation need to be the anime source?

If it's listed on the anime page next to "Adaptation", then it's valid. It doesn't necessarily have to be the original source.

Nicholaevich said:
Is there a preferred method for uploading screenshots or just whatever works?

The majority of participants use imgur (myself included), but any reliable image hosting service would probably work fine. As for how you should format it in your post, we're fine with just pasting the link directly into the form, like this:

[*][Started: Jan 08] [Finished: Jan 08] (B.28) Watch an anime generated randomly using spin.moe
Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
[Screenshot Link: https://i.imgur.com/viRz5BY.png]

Just keep it nice and contained inside the provided brackets.

Jan 8, 10:02 PM

@AWC_mod, I made a particapation banner to donate.

Jan 8, 11:56 PM
Regarding requirement (B.27):

Would Perrine from Perrine Monogatari count as a photographer?
The story up until now (ep 17) has been about her and her mother's journey to France as travelling photographers.

Jan 9, 1:31 AM

@AWC_mod, didn't want to post in discussion, but it's easier for you guys, and i don't want to make extra work for ya

Jan 9, 2:52 AM

(B.20) Watch a completed anime scored 10 or 9 by a participant that posted on the first or second page

Does the completed anime have to come from their post or from their list?

Jan 9, 2:57 AM

Liaeves said:
(B.20) Watch a completed anime scored 10 or 9 by a participant that posted on the first or second page

It has to come from their completed anime list.

Jan 9, 3:02 AM

Lestat- said:
Liaeves said:

It has to come from their completed anime list.

Thank you very much for the help ----

Jan 9, 3:27 AM

@AWC_mod If an anime has only main characters and no supporting cast.

(P.23) Watch an anime with more main characters than supporting characters
[...]
[Main Count: 2 | Supporting Count: 0]

Would that be acceptable?
Modified by inim, Jan 9, 4:16 AM

Jan 9, 5:27 AM

inim said:
@AWC_mod If an anime has only main characters and no supporting cast.

(P.23) Watch an anime with more main characters than supporting characters
[...]
[Main Count: 2 | Supporting Count: 0]

Would that be acceptable?

Yes, that would be fine for this item.

Jan 9, 7:59 AM
Space Brother

Loxem said:
Regarding requirement (B.27):
Would Perrine from Perrine Monogatari count as a photographer?
The story up until now (ep 17) has been about her and her mother's journey to France as travelling photographers.

The information I'm finding just says that she travels with her mother who is a photographer, so I don't think we could count that since it's not clear that it's her job. However, you're only about a third of the way through the show, so it's possible she gets a paying job later in the series. If so, then that would count.

Of course, if all else fails you can just use it for another challenge item. It would work for B.14 for example. Heck, since it's over 50 standard-length episodes, you could even use it for higher-tier item if you're planning on going that far. If a show has 50 or more standard length episodes, it can be started/finished at any time.

Jan 9, 8:26 AM

@AWC_mod
I made some badges donations for challenge ^^

Jan 9, 8:29 AM

I have a question, I wached a few anime in the first week of January but I was unable to add them to my list because my pc wasn't working. I added all the anime I watched during that period yesterday, with the start dates in which I watched them so the start dates aren't going to coincide with the date I add them to my list. Will that be a problem? Can used those anime for the challenge or they could be considerate invalid?

Jan 9, 8:38 AM

Ginoza said:
I have a question, I wached a few anime in the first week of January but I was unable to add them to my list because my pc wasn't working. I added all the anime I watched during that period yesterday, with the start dates in which I watched them so the start dates aren't going to coincide with the date I add them to my list. Will that be a problem? Can used those anime for the challenge or they could be considerate invalid?

Looking at your list, under the 'More' info for each anime I can see that you added the Start and End date for those ones. As long as those dates match the ones you add to your challenge, you should be fine :)

[โ˜…โ˜…] AWCC Tracking

Jan 9, 9:27 AM
Hello i was wondering if anime's that have been in our Plan To Watch section can be used for challenges

Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »