Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 5, 2019 3:32 AM

Nov 2016
read a few chapters of this and thought it was cute and cuddly with a creepy vibe of fans/stalkers/whatnots follow up comments at the end of each chapter. it feels good to break an mmo so much that the devs end up having to patch it, just for you.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Oct 5, 2019 3:03 AM

Jun 2019
Oh man, this looks interesting actually
Nov 28, 2019 12:17 AM

Feb 2013
Dadangdut33 said:

It has nothing to do with Shield Hero except that both have shields. The girl just plays a VRMMORPG, it isn't even an isekai.
Nov 29, 2019 7:04 AM

Jun 2019
Moe-fication Shield Hero?

Hmm mandatory PTW
Dec 3, 2019 11:30 PM

Oct 2018
Protag's design looks quite similar to Ruby from RWBY, even complete with a giant red and black shield instead of a scythe. Will be interesting, I hope.
Dec 8, 2019 8:58 AM

Aug 2018
Yup, I'm sure I won't be watching this one. This is a CGDCT type of show + gaming + "isekai feeling despite not being an isekai"... this seems shallow af and the character one dimesional af... not my type of show at all.
Dec 18, 2019 12:10 AM
Mar 2019
Naofumi meet Maple: You gotta be shitting me...
Dec 25, 2019 12:28 PM
Nov 2018
"It has nothing to do with Shield Hero except that both have shields. The girl just plays a VRMMORPG, it isn't even an isekai."

This is what is called "autistic" when used for people's comments online instead of the actual condition. Because it's so close to the actual condition. To only be able to see the explanations and distinctions explained on paper, instead of seeing the actual purpose of something, the actual vibe or point behind it all.

"It isn't even an isekai". Incredible. Absolutely incredible. So SAO, which STARTED the isekai craze, "isn't even an isekai" then. The whole POINT of isekai anime is for MMO players in Japan to see a story where they get to go inside the game. The dream when you realize the game is inadequate, it's just there on the screen, and you wish for more. Putting on a helmet to play a game like you are living inside it, or being sucked into another world with MMO-stats and leveling and character classes, are both isekai. They have the exact same purpose.

If someone who doesn't understand this then goes "no, because the word isekai acksually means another world, so it can only be another world and has nothing to do with gaming cause that's not in the name," doesn't matter one bit. Welcome to the world of actual story creation. This was your first lesson.

"It has nothing to do with Shield Hero except that both have shields."

Am-fucking-azing. The PURPOSE of both stories is the same. Realizing that there are already tons of isekai where the hero slashes his way through enemies, and then saying, "Hey, what if we make it about the DEFENSE part of fighting this time? Wouldn't that be a twist that would stand out?"

And then Shield Hero step by step ditched that concept, but no matter. That was the original hook. And it's the same hook here. To think that the writers wouldn't be thinking about Shield Hero, that they'd make this without a plan to attach themselves to a bigger anime name to make the same crowd react and check this out as well, just because it's not the same name and one is in a game while another is in a world with game-like conditions, well, that's autistic. Again, welcome to the side of observation where you see it from the writers' point of view. That's the side I work on, though not in anime, but the consumers can learn too.
Dec 29, 2019 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
Nemesis16 said:
Dadangdut33 said:

It has nothing to do with Shield Hero except that both have shields. The girl just plays a VRMMORPG, it isn't even an isekai.

By the way, I noticed that the manga adaptation puts a noticeable emphasis on nakama. Is there any ship tease and baiting in this work, or is this work not one of those moe titles that try to hype with yuri fanservice?
Dec 29, 2019 3:50 PM

Feb 2013
Hegar said:
"It has nothing to do with Shield Hero except that both have shields. The girl just plays a VRMMORPG, it isn't even an isekai."

This is what is called "autistic" when used for people's comments online instead of the actual condition. Because it's so close to the actual condition. To only be able to see the explanations and distinctions explained on paper, instead of seeing the actual purpose of something, the actual vibe or point behind it all.

"It isn't even an isekai". Incredible. Absolutely incredible. So SAO, which STARTED the isekai craze, "isn't even an isekai" then. The whole POINT of isekai anime is for MMO players in Japan to see a story where they get to go inside the game. The dream when you realize the game is inadequate, it's just there on the screen, and you wish for more. Putting on a helmet to play a game like you are living inside it, or being sucked into another world with MMO-stats and leveling and character classes, are both isekai. They have the exact same purpose.

If someone who doesn't understand this then goes "no, because the word isekai acksually means another world, so it can only be another world and has nothing to do with gaming cause that's not in the name," doesn't matter one bit. Welcome to the world of actual story creation. This was your first lesson.

"It has nothing to do with Shield Hero except that both have shields."

Am-fucking-azing. The PURPOSE of both stories is the same. Realizing that there are already tons of isekai where the hero slashes his way through enemies, and then saying, "Hey, what if we make it about the DEFENSE part of fighting this time? Wouldn't that be a twist that would stand out?"

And then Shield Hero step by step ditched that concept, but no matter. That was the original hook. And it's the same hook here. To think that the writers wouldn't be thinking about Shield Hero, that they'd make this without a plan to attach themselves to a bigger anime name to make the same crowd react and check this out as well, just because it's not the same name and one is in a game while another is in a world with game-like conditions, well, that's autistic. Again, welcome to the side of observation where you see it from the writers' point of view. That's the side I work on, though not in anime, but the consumers can learn too.

I'm not even going to lose my time with a person like you.

RobertBobert said:
Nemesis16 said:

By the way, I noticed that the manga adaptation puts a noticeable emphasis on nakama. Is there any ship tease and baiting in this work, or is this work not one of those moe titles that try to hype with yuri fanservice?

No actual yuri or even hints of romance. It's pretty much just a slice of life series
Jan 8, 2020 1:22 PM
Dec 2018
Its more like Net-juu no Susume AND Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? just without the romance and with more gaming.

I dont even know why this one doesnt have the game tag on it.
BolondJan 8, 2020 1:26 PM
Jan 8, 2020 7:40 PM
Dec 2012
We all get to watch Maple's Story Sorry Nexon...
Jan 15, 2020 9:57 PM

Jan 2019
I don't hear FBI knocking at my doors yet, so yeah it's all good.
Jan 16, 2020 12:42 AM

Feb 2019
Don't compare that trash with this comfy goodness.
Jan 22, 2020 11:25 PM

Feb 2018
New Anime Title: The Rising of the Overly Powered Shield Loli
SceltoJan 28, 2020 5:01 AM
Jan 27, 2020 11:34 AM

Sep 2017
Scelto said:
New Anime Title: The Rising of the Overlypowered Shield Loli

Still better than edgelord Naofumi. I´ll take the moe stuff over the rape themes any day XD
Jan 31, 2020 3:00 AM

Oct 2013
More like The Rising of the Shield Hero - Good Edition
Feb 1, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2009
dc22 said:

But it's worse, it has zero stakes and it's boring.
Feb 1, 2020 8:53 AM

Oct 2013
bastek66 said:
dc22 said:

Artificial stakes are boring. Even having zero plot is better.
Feb 1, 2020 9:46 AM

May 2009
dc22 said:
bastek66 said:

Artificial stakes are boring. Even having zero plot is better.

This game is too broken for my enjoyment. IRL no one would allowed for something like Maple to happen because gamers would tried it during the first week of new MMO or even betatests. Unfortunately LN writers are incompetent hacks.
Feb 1, 2020 4:27 PM

Aug 2015
VRMMO's what do you guys not understand. Its a god damn full dive system. You cant just afk to get damn skills, auto pilot or auto attack. You have to actually be there to do it. You cant just run to get something to eat or drink.

Maple skills have niche requirements that need to be found. Maple is effectively walking in super hard mud because of putting eveything into vit. Putting everything in vit allowed her to get absolute defence by taking no damage an hour while not attacking back. Why would people normally do that? The is no guide at all nor is there chance of even getting a skill for something that dumb.People would give up in 30 minutes max. Someone in the anime said that he tried what maple did but eventually died to scratch damage.

Putting eveything into vit is effectivly playing a super agonizingly slow game with no real way attack back. Maple having fun with the rabbit for an hour kick started a chain reaction to get where she is to now. Shes not just wondering around getting skills all the time. She found out that she can get poison resistance and grinded that out. She knows what her build is and is unknowingly min maxing her self. The skills she gets all require a lot of hours to get and the chances of stumbling apon them like the way maple did is low.

You have to actively be there and being hurt and feeling pain turns a lot of people off.

Stealing from Azuciel because its true.

Once you physically feel the effects of your choices, you stop doing stupid things. No one is insane enough to make a game feel like a chore. No one will touch a fire if they know it hurts.
GoldenUniverseFeb 1, 2020 4:34 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Jan 6, 2020

282 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 16, 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.