Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 13, 2019 11:13 AM

Feb 2017
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Tsarko said:

Other reason is the type of story this is. It's slower and doesn't have that many "moments". Many anime that explode in popularity usually have some "big moment" happening, like big plot twist or some epic action sequence for example, which leads to it being shared and hyped all over the internet and being spread by the word of mouth at a rapid pace. Think of Demon Slayer episode 19 or Attack on Titan episode 1 for example . Vinland Saga didn't have anything like that so far and is simply a slower story that takes its time to build itself and its characters.

I think you've summed it up the best. I think what's not helping Vinland Saga's case, is that the anime doesn't look that great; the CG is noticeably bad, the animation is typical still-frame anime (except for a few fight scenes). What I've noticed is that nearly every popular anime I've heard/seen (with few exceptions like FMA and SAO) have very distinct art styles.

While I wouldn't say CG is great, I also can't say it's that bad. At least not that bad to deter potential viewers. I'd say the way they utilized it so far is good.
I personally haven't been bothered by it so far nor have I seen that many people who were driven away by it. Story takes place in such a setting where it's either CG or billion still frames. Animating something like battles and other similar scenes with big number of people moving without any use of CG would be nothing but a miracle for two cour TV anime. Though quality of the models could've definitely been better.

I also wouldn't agree that it doesn't look that great. Sure, animation is not on the levels of B: The Beginning or One Punch Man or whatever but it's perfectly more than serviceable and definitely above many seasonal anime. There were many non-action cuts that were given big amount of attention when animating (i.e bucket shot n the first episode). I'd say most of its downtime moments are definitely better than Attack on Titan for example where in most non-action cuts characters are just standing and flapping their mouths with almost none character acting. I'm not saying Vinland has big amount of character acting, but I'd say it has more than many anime.

Can't agree with art style not being distinct, I think it is distinct more than enough. Though it might not be distinct in a way that attracts wider audiences. How many anime have this realistic and detailed character designs? Character designs in the show are extremely detailed if you look closer. They are going to such lengths as even showing the gaps between teeth in in-between frames, along with other small details. Even character designer and director said how worried they are if they could keep up with all the details in designs. Not only are designs detailed but also extremely varied. Not only character designs, but also prop and setting designs. Also background art is downright beautiful.
I'd definitely say art style is distinct, but yeah, maybe not in a way that attracts that many people.
TsarkoSep 13, 2019 11:23 AM
Sep 13, 2019 2:05 PM
Sep 2013
I haven't even read the whole thread but I just need to put a single thing out there. A lot of people criticize VS for being a "historical" or "realistic" anime but then also having shounen-like superpowers. I too was rankled by this at first even as a manga reader. Then I thought about it a lot. Maybe there's a reason beyond pandering to the action crowd. I thought about all the folklore stories I've read and it instantly clicked. In those stories, people do ridiculous stuff ALL THE TIME. Princes go out and fight whole armies singlehandedly. Knights will fell a tree with their swords. A guy in the Aeneid punches an ox to death with a single stroke. Lancelot kills a poor merchant with one blow. Roland takes on a whole army. These "superpowers" come up all the time in these old stories. So I take the show the same way. Over the years, in retelling and passing into legend, of course he jumped from boat to boat with ease. Of course he chopped down a mast and four men at once. Of course he takes on half an army. That's just what happens in legends. The way the action is framed makes a lot more sense to me now. The conceit is it's taking the "passed into legend" stuff as real.
Sep 13, 2019 5:31 PM
Aug 2019
TheEFAF said:
I haven't even read the whole thread but I just need to put a single thing out there. A lot of people criticize VS for being a "historical" or "realistic" anime but then also having shounen-like superpowers. I too was rankled by this at first even as a manga reader. Then I thought about it a lot. Maybe there's a reason beyond pandering to the action crowd. I thought about all the folklore stories I've read and it instantly clicked. In those stories, people do ridiculous stuff ALL THE TIME. Princes go out and fight whole armies singlehandedly. Knights will fell a tree with their swords. A guy in the Aeneid punches an ox to death with a single stroke. Lancelot kills a poor merchant with one blow. Roland takes on a whole army. These "superpowers" come up all the time in these old stories. So I take the show the same way. Over the years, in retelling and passing into legend, of course he jumped from boat to boat with ease. Of course he chopped down a mast and four men at once. Of course he takes on half an army. That's just what happens in legends. The way the action is framed makes a lot more sense to me now. The conceit is it's taking the "passed into legend" stuff as real.

It seems to follow in vein of the Icelandic Sagas. Some are historically accurate with historical figures & deeds that match other records. Some are of historical figures who go on travels that are confirmed, but exaggerated with fights against mythological creatures. And some sagas are of men of dubious existence whose deeds are likely an amalgamation of a number of actual historical figures.
Sep 13, 2019 6:00 PM
Feb 2019
EchoAnEternity said:
Nezukoisangel said:

Although I disagree with what the person said, like completely because VS is so great actually but you both can't really draw a comparison in that way, AoT was portrayed as a survival postapoclypse show, there's no time for developing too much for the characters other than their decisions and actions to survive at that moment,
I know VS also shows how people are trying to survive the wars and that horrible reality but it's not like a very current danger like the Titans and they need to make a move as fast as possible.

In VS we follow how a kid reacts to his father's death in the Vikings era which was a dark era, and we interestingly want to see how he grows and what's the outcomes, it's like a philosophy's journey that makes us learn the different ideologies of the characters and I think it's really unique.

Each story acts upon its own plot, the characters development happens according to the plot too.

And even VS's author is a huge fan of SnK's manga and buy all the releases.

There's no need for such a toxic comparison.

Indeed, both authors have great respect for each other. It shows from when people thought Askeladd said a Kenny quote but, Kenny actually said an Askeladd quote. I thought that was an awesome homage to Vinland the first time I saw it in AOT.

They should check out when VS's manga came lol, even the ocean thing with Thorfinn aka Armin :D

And yeah, it was a great homage especially how Isayama put it, it was way more impactful and emotional, the whole thing of being a slave to something was epic in Kenny's scene that it became one of those memorable scenes.
Sep 13, 2019 6:30 PM

Aug 2017
vhagar8 said:
Damn fanboys are really blind these days. Regardless of how good or bad u think this show may be, the premise is just not appealing enough to hit AoT level of mainsteam. Y'all spamming 2deep4u memes won't change that.

Also 100% agree with this:
Roevhaal said:

Ylva is the only good character but she isn't even relevant, the rest of the cast sucks.

Okay anyone who seriously believes in this & not as a jest, I pray for your mental health, I really do.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Sep 13, 2019 10:09 PM

Jan 2016
I feel like the average anime fan is far more engrossed by basic adventure stories that contain some form of superpower involved (e.g. Naruto, BnHA, SnK) not that there's anything wrong with that. Personally, Vinland Saga comes off as far more complex in its story in that it emphasises historical, philosophical and growth related aspects with the occasional fight scene here and there. It's much more grounded in reality, basically and therefore comes across as less appealing to the standard viewer.

Sep 13, 2019 10:29 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Slimcoder said:
vhagar8 said:
Damn fanboys are really blind these days. Regardless of how good or bad u think this show may be, the premise is just not appealing enough to hit AoT level of mainsteam. Y'all spamming 2deep4u memes won't change that.

Also 100% agree with this:

Okay anyone who seriously believes in this & not as a jest, I pray for your mental health, I really do.

Can you explain why the characters are good then? all characters are one dimensional, Ylva is the only character with greater depth than a puddle of water.
Sep 13, 2019 10:30 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Parthostic said:
I feel like the average anime fan is far more engrossed by basic adventure stories that contain some form of superpower involved (e.g. Naruto, BnHA, SnK) not that there's anything wrong with that. Personally, Vinland Saga comes off as far more complex in its story in that it emphasises historical, philosophical and growth related aspects with the occasional fight scene here and there. It's much more grounded in reality, basically and therefore comes across as less appealing to the standard viewer.

How does leaping 20 meters into the air and throwing 5 ton boulders not count as super powers?
Sep 13, 2019 10:35 PM

Aug 2017
Roevhaal said:
Slimcoder said:

Can you explain why the characters are good then? all characters are one dimensional, Ylva is the only character with greater depth than a puddle of water.

So a puddle of water then because Ylva has no more greater depth than most of the characters in this show.

EThat's without getting into the fact that Askeladd is already a multi-facteed character. He's a mercenary with some standards of honor who does not share in the revelry the rest of his viking comrades have for battle & has a growing attachment to Thorfinn.

Even then the arrival of Canute which should begin around episode 10 is when the character interactions start becoming more & more complex.
Sep 13, 2019 10:43 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Slimcoder said:
That's without getting into the fact that Askeladd is already a multi-facteed character. He's a mercenary with some standards of honor who does not share in the revelry the rest of his viking comrades have for battle & has a growing attachment to Thorfinn.

wow, such depth, this one character has standards of honor despite being a mercenary. only 9 episodes in and we already have such deep complex characters. Don't make me laugh.
Sep 13, 2019 10:47 PM

Aug 2017
Roevhaal said:
Slimcoder said:
That's without getting into the fact that Askeladd is already a multi-facteed character. He's a mercenary with some standards of honor who does not share in the revelry the rest of his viking comrades have for battle & has a growing attachment to Thorfinn.

wow, such depth, this one character has standards of honor despite being a mercenary. only 9 episodes in and we already have such deep complex characters. Don't make me laugh.

So? Its a slow-burn of a show. Sure the pacing is a bit glacial but eh but that's the fault of the anime-only episodes. No show has "deep complex characters" in its 1st cour unless its only supposed to go for 12 episodes. Everyone starts out simple.

Main characters are set-up, their relationships & motives are defined. All that's left is for the plot to begin and set them on the whirlwind adventures which is right around the corner.
Sep 13, 2019 11:01 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Slimcoder said:
Roevhaal said:

So? Its a slow-burn of a show. Sure the pacing is a bit glacial but eh but that's the fault of the anime-only episodes. No show has "deep complex characters" in its 1st cour unless its only supposed to go for 12 episodes. Everyone starts out simple.

Main characters are set-up, their relationships & motives are defined. All that's left is for the plot to begin and set them on the whirlwind adventures which is right around the corner.

This coment chain started because someone claimed that the characters were ''great thus far'' though, I have no idea about what's to come.
Sep 13, 2019 11:09 PM

Aug 2017
Roevhaal said:
Slimcoder said:

This coment chain started because someone claimed that the characters were ''great thus far'' though, I have no idea about what's to come.

Well its not exactly a false statement. None of them are particularly badly written characters & their actors are turning in well-done performances to make them suitably entertaining.
Sep 13, 2019 11:15 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
eh... no... the actors are doing a solid job as always but the characters are terrible and far from entertaining, in 9 episodes all we've seen in form of not being terrible characters is seing how Ylva deals with loss.
Sep 13, 2019 11:18 PM

Aug 2017
So no problem at all then.

Good.
Sep 14, 2019 12:11 AM

Oct 2013
Parthostic said:

I have no problem with this part that I mark in bold, this is certainly true not only for anime fans but for movies and tv series fans as well, having some type of super power in any series peaks an audience interest more, than say a detective series, the general public is looking for something that is out of this world, something that is not the norm and it can run their imagination wild, which is why Marvel and DC is so popular.

Now I disagree with the rest of your sentence, about vinland saga story is more complex and grounded, I think snk and naruto story is far more complex than vinland saga and they are just as grounded to reality like vinland saga, both snk and naruto has all those elements you mention and more, not because their is super power element in it, doesn't stop it from being grounded.

From the 50 chapters I have read, vinland saga strength is more for its characters growth and development than story, it has the typical historical stories you would see in any historical anime or tv series, its easy to follow and enjoy.

Don't take this the wrong way as I have given the manga a 8/10, I came in expecting it to be a certain type of series and that is what I got.

At the end of the day, these are two different series going for different things.
keragammingSep 14, 2019 12:16 AM
Sep 14, 2019 1:52 AM

Jan 2016
keragamming said:
Parthostic said:

I have no problem with this part that I mark in bold, this is certainly true not only for anime fans but for movies and tv series fans as well, having some type of super power in any series peaks an audience interest more, than say a detective series, the general public is looking for something that is out of this world, something that is not the norm and it can run their imagination wild, which is why Marvel and DC is so popular.

Now I disagree with the rest of your sentence, about vinland saga story is more complex and grounded, I think snk and naruto story is far more complex than vinland saga and they are just as grounded to reality like vinland saga, both snk and naruto has all those elements you mention and more, not because their is super power element in it, doesn't stop it from being grounded.

From the 50 chapters I have read, vinland saga strength is more for its characters growth and development than story, it has the typical historical stories you would see in any historical anime or tv series, its easy to follow and enjoy.

Don't take this the wrong way as I have given the manga a 8/10, I came in expecting it to be a certain type of series and that is what I got.

At the end of the day, these are two different series going for different things.

You bring up some good points. I think 'complex' was the wrong word, I feel as though the historical aspects of the show are a lot less enticing to viewers whereas learning about the Shinobi or Titan world is. I'd still argue against the grounded aspect. Whilst most of the stuff that happens in Naruto/SnK can be justified within their respective stories there are aspects that don't feel grounded to me. Examples; Naruto bringing Guy back to life and Armin surviving that fall against the Colossal titan. You could maybe justify these situations using the abilities within the stories but they're kinda like "what?" moments to me.
I think Vinland Saga handles the events in its reality a lot more logically and feels like the rules within its story are always followed is basically what I'm getting at. Granted, it's very early to make this point so take it with a grain of salt hahaha.
Sep 14, 2019 1:54 AM

Jan 2016
Roevhaal said:
Parthostic said:

How does leaping 20 meters into the air and throwing 5 ton boulders not count as super powers?
That's fucking lightweight you soyboy. You've never lifted 5 ton boulders before?
Sep 14, 2019 3:46 AM
Nov 2017
Roevhaal said:
eh... no... the actors are doing a solid job as always but the characters are terrible and far from entertaining, in 9 episodes all we've seen in form of not being terrible characters is seing how Ylva deals with loss.

If you really think the character is that terrible, read it carefully, or just wait if you don't want to get spoiled.

Sep 15, 2019 11:41 AM

Dec 2015
I think it is because of the Viking's setting. To be honest it is not one of my favorite settings - I prefer the later medieval era (which isn't even middle ages anymore 1600-1800 or something like that) and fantasy-like stuff with buildings and tech level looking like from that era.

Now sadly we have - because most people prefer it - bad stuff like that ... meaning Isekai + your usual annoying Isekai hero + females (harem-like).

Anything "better" than that is less popular. Most of the better fantasy in medieva-like setting (non-isekai) also did not get sequels and only the bad stuff.

(Well at least that is my opinion. For a lot of people the other stuff seems to be "better".)

Look at that Shield Hero Anime (which I dropped) - it also has "only" about 400k despite being very popular in the forums.

---

I bet it will be harder next season ... tons of competition. I have already about 6 sequels that I want to watch for sure. (Okay half of them not that good but I still want to know how the story continues.) With Vinland Saga continuing there won't be much room for other (new) stuff to pick up - unless I tune down the time I want to spent with gaming (which I just decided to increase and watching less anime).

I doubt a lot more will pick this up next season. Maybe when it is finished. When sequel gets announced. (Manga seems to have tons of material for more seasons with this pacing I heard.)
Sep 15, 2019 12:00 PM
Nov 2015
Roevhaal said:
angelk99 said:

The characters are great so far.

Ylva is the only good character but she isn't even relevant, the rest of the cast sucks.
this is a troll comment.
Sep 15, 2019 12:03 PM
Nov 2015
Roevhaal said:
your joking, did you see what happened to thorfin and how is character changed in those episodes.
Sep 15, 2019 12:06 PM
Nov 2015
keragamming said:
Parthostic said:

I think the characters in the first 50 chapters in vinland saga are more complex than the ones in the first 50 chapters in Naruto and attack on Titan, you have canute, the priest , the caretaker, askeladd, Thors, Thorkell, thorfin and the king. All fleshed out and are more interesting than any characters in the the beginning of attack on Titan. Even the band of askeladd is complex.
Sep 15, 2019 12:08 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Black_Sheep97 said:
Roevhaal said:
your joking, did you see what happened to thorfin and how is character changed in those episodes.

I did, he went from Bratty Mc Bratt to Edge Mc Edgelord, truly spectacular character development right there.
Sep 15, 2019 12:12 PM
Nov 2015
Roevhaal said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

I did, he went from Bratty Mc Bratt to Edge Mc Edgelord, truly spectacular character development right there.
exactly that is spectacular character development, he went from a bratty kid that was naive and adventurous to one with an obsession with dealing with the guilt of his father death and basically be completely obsessed with revenge. It shows the impact that moment had on him and encapsulates his trauma as a result.
Sep 15, 2019 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
Black_Sheep97 said:
keragamming said:

I think the characters in the first 50 chapters in vinland saga are more complex than the ones in the first 50 chapters in Naruto and attack on Titan, you have canute, the priest , the caretaker, askeladd, Thors, Thorkell, thorfin and the king. All fleshed out and are more interesting than any characters in the the beginning of attack on Titan. Even the band of askeladd is complex.

Of course they are, snk was mostly a plot driven series up to that point, snk doesn't got time to focus on characters that much when there is man eating giants attacking, that is why I said they are not comparable, one is plot driven the other is character driven. Vinland saga on the other hand doesn't really have a plot that needs to be resolve, the author can make 100 chapters of developing the characters and it wouldn't hurt the series, that can't work in snk settings.

Snk has now switch to more of a character driven story since most of the mystery has been reveal and that is why characters like Eren has gotten a tone of development, but before that it was mostly about the plot and finding out the truth of this world.
Sep 15, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2015
Roevhaal said:

Are we watching the same show? I really don't see how you think this.

Sep 15, 2019 12:21 PM
Nov 2015
keragamming said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Of course they are, snk was mostly a plot driven series up to that point, snk doesn't got time to focus on characters that much when there is man eating giants attacking, that is why I said they are not comparable, one is plot driven the other is character driven. Vinland saga on the other hand doesn't really have a plot that needs to be resolve, the author can make 100 chapters of developing the characters and it wouldn't hurt the series, that can't work in snk settings.

Snk has now switch to more of a character driven story since most of the mystery has been reveal and that is why characters like Eren has gotten a tone of development, but before that it was mostly about the plot and finding out the truth of this world.
sure but the point still stands that the characters of vinland saga for that time were better than the characters of attack on Titan. Whether it's plot driven it's always fair to compare a series based on plot and characters. And based on what happens later it's debatable whether the plot of attack on titan is better than vinland, cause of the daring and powerful switch the series made.

And the characters of the first 50 chapters of attack on titan are still good, just not as good as vinland.
Sep 15, 2019 12:33 PM

Oct 2013
Black_Sheep97 said:
keragamming said:

sure but the point still stands that the characters of vinland saga for that time were better than the characters of attack on Titan. Whether it's plot driven it's always fair to compare a series based on plot and characters. And based on what happens later it's debatable whether the plot of attack on titan is better than vinland, cause of the daring and powerful switch the series made.

And the characters of the first 50 chapters of attack on titan are still good, just not as good as vinland.

I probably need to continue reading vinland saga, because the impression I got is that what comes after where I am at is the farm arc which is a character development arc, I didn't know that later on it starts to delve in the story. If you could hint to me exactly what its plot is going for that would be good.

But I would be surprise if there is anything deep or complex about its plot, I don't see a historical series having those types of plot without it having fantasy or science fiction elements to it, because those are generally the type of stories that have a really complex plot with plot twist and various elements interacting with each other. Also this isn't a disrespect to vinland saga, but a settings that sticks to reality for the most part without any supernatural element or science fiction element generally has a simple plot with the cast carrying the series.

It was never a debate for me when it comes to characters in snk as I know this isn't the strongest category when it comes to snk.
keragammingSep 15, 2019 12:37 PM
Sep 15, 2019 12:35 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Black_Sheep97 said:
Roevhaal said:

exactly that is spectacular character development, he went from a bratty kid that was naive and adventurous to one with an obsession with dealing with the guilt of his father death and basically be completely obsessed with revenge. It shows the impact that moment had on him and encapsulates his trauma as a result.

If you like that then good for you, I just find his character cringy
Sep 15, 2019 12:43 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
There were a lot of breaks in the show which lowered the hype early on. The show is also not a straight shonen like demon slayer and other shows airing right now. I think the show will be highly rated and fairly popular in the anime community overall but it will never be a big well known show like most popular shonens are.
Sep 15, 2019 12:47 PM

Aug 2019
You're not going to get S1 AoT levels of hype with Vinland Saga. In fact, you aren't going to get it with 99% of any anime that's ever aired.

Both are also completely different as well, despite being animated by the same studio.

AoT's a dark fantasy action anime about a post-apocalyptic world supposedly over-run by giant monsters with the last of humanity contained within 3 concentric walls. That's a pretty unique and enticing premise to hook you. Not to mention it's 1st episode is generally considered to be one of a handful of truly great openers to a series.

Vinland Saga is a slow-burner, a historical action/drama and is far less frenetic throughout, focusing less on action and more on it's main character, and the relationships between the main cast throughout as Thorfinn journeys from an adolescent to an adult. It's been a solid start with a few excellent episodes, but you get the feeling there's still more to come before the season ends.

Having read the manga, as the series progresses it'll attract some fans, but it'll also lose some as well.

Sep 15, 2019 12:47 PM

Oct 2013
ACasualViewer said:
There were a lot of breaks in the show which lowered the hype early on. The show is also not a straight shonen like demon slayer and other shows airing right now. I think the show will be highly rated and fairly popular in the anime community overall but it will never be a big well known show like most popular shonens are.

It has little for it to do with it being a shounen as tokyo ghoul became very popular and it is a seinen series, it wont be popular because historical series are not normally popular and I'm talking tv shows and movies as well, its just not a popular settings.
Sep 15, 2019 1:31 PM
Apr 2016
keragamming said:
ACasualViewer said:

It has little for it to do with it being a shounen as tokyo ghoul became very popular and it is a seinen series, it wont be popular because historical series are not normally popular and I'm talking tv shows and movies as well, its just not a popular settings.

It does share its "shounen" action sequences with Tokyo Ghoul. Just as bad.
Did the rating fall again? I will write it down to check next week, since this thread, for some reason, is still going:8,56
Re:formed
Sep 15, 2019 2:30 PM
Nov 2015
keragamming said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

I probably need to continue reading vinland saga, because the impression I got is that what comes after where I am at is the farm arc which is a character development arc, I didn't know that later on it starts to delve in the story. If you could hint to me exactly what its plot is going for that would be good.

But I would be surprise if there is anything deep or complex about its plot, I don't see a historical series having those types of plot without it having fantasy or science fiction elements to it, because those are generally the type of stories that have a really complex plot with plot twist and various elements interacting with each other. Also this isn't a disrespect to vinland saga, but a settings that sticks to reality for the most part without any supernatural element or science fiction element generally has a simple plot with the cast carrying the series.

It was never a debate for me when it comes to characters in snk as I know this isn't the strongest category when it comes to snk.
the character development for thorfin begins in that arc, but the stuff we get from the prologue does great things with the characters i mentioned.

The last part is understandable , I think just the plot for vinland saga is exceptional because of the unconventional direction it takes.

I think underappreciating the character writting SNK I think its the best in shounen with probably Hunter x Hunter ahead.
Sep 15, 2019 2:32 PM
Nov 2015
Roevhaal said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

so complex characters are cringe, I guess people have different taste.
Sep 15, 2019 2:44 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Black_Sheep97 said:
Roevhaal said:

how the hell is he complex? all he did was to become edgelord to avenge his father, he's not complex at all
Sep 15, 2019 3:33 PM
Nov 2017
Roevhaal said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
how the hell is he complex? all he did was to become edgelord to avenge his father, he's not complex at all

I get how yoiu feel, I felt the same way when I read the manga, but at least, I read it because of Askeladd.

If a brat changed into edgelord is a good character, then Sasuke, Eren in the beginning of AoT, and any other edgy chars are great, but the fact is, they aren't. The only one who can manage this revenge thing are basically Guts from Berserk and of course, Thorfinn.

If you look Thorfinn as an edgelord, you will hate him, like I did. But a lot of people forgot about what his father told. He just becomes what his father afraid of, a killing machine. That's why he's a great character (or at least he has potential).

The thing about Thorfinn is, I like him a lot after a Farmland arc. The trantition from edgelord to a wise character is done right. His father's message is so important later on. I mean, you won't expect him to be always edgy and do a revenge, aren't you? The story itself is about Vinland, a land where there is no slave, violent, etc, and the one that supossed to find it is Thorfinn.

His character change from the meaning of death to the meaning of life. He just doesn't care anymore, what he really wants is a piece at that point.
Sep 15, 2019 3:56 PM

Nov 2016
Nearly everyone that uses Amazon on a semi regular basis has Amazon prime.
People simply don't care about Vinland saga. It's a niche series in a niche medium.
Sep 15, 2019 5:09 PM

Dec 2017
ACasualViewer said:
Is Demon Slayer really good? I've kept it on-hold since the first episode because it didn't captivate me as much as Vinland Saga did, also partly because I'm a big fan of Wit Studio's art style and animation.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 15, 2019 5:58 PM

Sep 2019
electromagneto said:
ACasualViewer said:
Is Demon Slayer really good? I've kept it on-hold since the first episode because it didn't captivate me as much as Vinland Saga did, also partly because I'm a big fan of Wit Studio's art style and animation.
If you can see the 5/5 %age in episode discussion then demon slayer's first episodes are low in 60's for 5/5 but it do increase later on.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 15, 2019 6:29 PM
Sep 2019
electromagneto said:
Is Demon Slayer really good? ...

Based on your anime list, I wouldn't say it's great by your standards. First 7 or so episodes are structured very poorly, the pacing seems off. Characters are very one-dimensional so far, they are quite hit or miss, depending on your tolerance to their quirks. It has some stunningly good shonen moments in the later episodes, however, so I would say it's the kind of anime you don't regret you've watched after a certain point (even though not everything about those moments makes sense, the artistic execution is on point).

I'm fairly confident to claim you would ultimately think that Vinland saga is a tier or two above the Demon Slayer, even if you saw the later. Both are audiovisually beautiful, though, Demon Slayer doesn't lack in that department.
Sep 15, 2019 6:31 PM

Dec 2017
@Peeti I see... Thanks for the feedback
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

Sep 15, 2019 6:51 PM

Dec 2017
QuiteNoice said:
electromagneto said:
Is Demon Slayer really good? ...

Based on your anime list, I wouldn't say it's great by your standards. First 7 or so episodes are structured very poorly, the pacing seems off. Characters are very one-dimensional so far, they are quite hit or miss, depending on your tolerance to their quirks. It has some stunningly good shonen moments in the later episodes, however, so I would say it's the kind of anime you don't regret you've watched after a certain point (even though not everything about those moments makes sense, the artistic execution is on point).

I'm fairly confident to claim you would ultimately think that Vinland saga is a tier or two above the Demon Slayer, even if you saw the later. Both are audiovisually beautiful, though, Demon Slayer doesn't lack in that department.
Thanks for elaborating it in details, you even use my list as reference. I really appreciate it.

Sep 16, 2019 12:16 AM

Feb 2018
because only shounen gets hyped
Sep 16, 2019 11:13 AM
Sep 2018
2 words Amazon Prime. The majority of people I know who have a Prime membership don't actually use the video service at all let alone know there was one. The quality of anime on prime is pretty subpar minus this and a few other titles. I honestly wish this was on Crunchyroll so I don't have to pay for another membership for one show. Other than that pacing is great, I'm not a manga reader but I find the show is very engaging with what has been going on so far!
You don’t have enough hatred
Sep 18, 2019 6:17 PM
Nov 2017
It’s still popular but Vinland saga just doesn’t have a unique story or premise that would make it pop out . Dr Stone is set in a world where everybody has turned to stone because of an unknown phenomenon and a scientist trying to recover mankind . Fire force is set in a world where people are randomly combusting into flames and turning into Fire demons and there are fire soldiers fighting the fire demons with fire powers not to mention government conspiracy . KnY is set in a historical time period with demons , samurai and an interesting power system that’s visually and metaphorically striking . Vinland saga is just a story about Vikings and revenge and while it’s a good story , there’s nothing there that would make it pop out and stand out . It’s a good story and it’s still popular tho .
Sep 19, 2019 6:49 PM

Jan 2015
EchoAnEternity said:
heg said:
there is still less than 200K members at the moment now dont get me wrong that kind of number is popular (afaik anything that reach 100K members on an anime entry here on MAL with its current 6 million total users is popular already) but to me its not reaching Attack on Titan levels yet?

should they have aired this on CrunchyRoll instead that has like 45million users at the moment instead of Amazon Prime which i do not know how many users it has and probably a lot less than CrunchyRoll have

or are there any other reason why its not getting more popular right now?

It’s getting overshadowed by KNY and FF. All the great animation and fights are what people are looking for right now it seems. VS is a lot slower paced then both of those shows and people that expect it to be all fighting don’t get hooked and leave.I mean, look at the 2/10 review, it’s almost at the top with 137 people finding it helpful. It shows that VS isn’t meeting a lot of people’s expectations. Also, it doesn’t help that there wasn’t a marketing push by Amazon. They just put it up for people to watch. A lot of people don’t know it even exist, all I see on YouTube are people asking “ what is this called?” , “ Where do I watch this” and “ I didn’t know they were making a Vinland anime”. There are also a lot of people putting it aside and not giving it a chance or putting it on hold. So, I don’t think Vinland is going to be crazy popular. It’s probably gonna stay niche. It might blow up during later episodes or later in the year, who knows.

What you said is true, but kinda sad how trash generic shounens like FF and KNY (+bnha, +++fate) get hyped up so much just because animation...

@Daniel_Naumov HAH, assuming socitety will develop, it is on a pretty steep downward slope atm..
BestBoiErenSep 19, 2019 6:53 PM
Sep 20, 2019 10:17 AM
Jun 2019
Let the season end...most will watch after it finishes airing as it is slow and one wuold like to watch a whole season in one go rather than watching ep every week...

Yes..KnY's popularity really affected it...after watching 15+ ep KnY becomes interesting....of course it is little bit too much hyped(hope you will understand) and why not so ..ufotable really did a great job in animating ep 19...

Also it is slow paced but it has an unique plot with great character development and animation which will make it popular...just wait for the time being...
Nxt_ArsenicSep 20, 2019 10:21 AM
Sep 20, 2019 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
This thread is literally a bunch of crybabies blaming another anime that other people don't like their favorite Japanese cartoon lmfao.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.