Forum Settings
Forums

A question: Why Oricon Japan's Weekly Manga and LN Rankings stopped?

New
Jun 22, 2019 9:43 AM
May 2019
beside being one of MAL most visited threads, it was a great way to add new and lesser known manga to the database if it makes the top 50 list
and it updated the db weekly without users submitting requests

not sure if this is the right place to ask or the news section
but I'm asking this here because of how it connects to the Manga DB

I have a follow up question on how the manga db is connected to the news section but I'll wait for the mods to respond to the original post first
Jun 23, 2019 3:31 AM

Dec 2011
There was no direct relationship and a lot of series that ranked were not added to the database despite being eligible.

According to this post, the data stopped because MAL's account with Oricon was cancelled, which wouldn't surprise me as I know from various other places that Oricon has got a lot tougher in cracking down on leaks over the last year or so.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 23, 2019 6:18 AM
May 2019
kuuderes_shadow said:
There was no direct relationship and a lot of series that ranked were not added to the database despite being eligible.

I don't know about that, maybe that what happens in recent years but from personal experience, I noticed they added almost everything that ranks

kuuderes_shadow said:
According to this post, the data stopped because MAL's account with Oricon was cancelled,

couldn't they just renew it? or get the data from the dozens of other legit new sites that report them from Oricon

kuuderes_shadow said:
which wouldn't surprise me as I know from various other places that Oricon has got a lot tougher in cracking down on leaks over the last year or so.

they're not leaks, they're posted on the site officially every week
Jun 23, 2019 7:12 AM

Dec 2011
MySummerCar said:
they're not leaks, they're posted on the site officially every week

Only the top 30 (top 10 for light novels ranking). Everything below that (plus the entirety of the monthly rankings) was leaking data from Oricon youtaiju.

MySummerCar said:
the dozens of other legit new sites that report them from Oricon

Care to name a few? I know the weekly light novel rankings (and only the weekly ones) are still being posted on refugee-chan, which is where I'm getting the data from, but I wasn't aware of any others. This post suggests that if there are multiple sources (that aren't just copying the data from one another) then the rankings could be returned.

With regards stuff being added, I suspect this is a combination of the fact that more popular series are more likely to be added and quicker, or perhaps people manually adding series that they saw show up in the rankings.
For a period of about a year or so literally every light novel series which was eligible for MAL that got a new volume release was added to the site, but this was done before the sales thread was released (they were often unapproved when the sales thread came out, though, and the date of the sales thread never had any correlation with things getting approved), was done whether the series sold well or not, and was done manually by a handful of users including myself - nothing automatic about it. Both before and after this period there were plenty of eligible series that were not added, some of which got on the rankings.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 23, 2019 7:58 AM
May 2019
kuuderes_shadow said:
Only the top 30 (top 10 for light novels ranking). Everything below that (plus the entirety of the monthly rankings) was leaking data from Oricon youtaiju.

oh, I wasn't aware of that
but still, reporting the top 30 manga and top 10 ln is better than nothing at all

kuuderes_shadow said:
Care to name a few? I know the weekly light novel rankings (and only the weekly ones) are still being posted on refugee-chan, which is where I'm getting the data from, but I wasn't aware of any others. This post suggests that if there are multiple sources (that aren't just copying the data from one another) then the rankings could be returned.

I meant the sites that are copying each others
why not copy from them if getting a new account is such a problem?

kuuderes_shadow said:
With regards stuff being added, I suspect this is a combination of the fact that more popular series are more likely to be added and quicker, or perhaps people manually adding series that they saw show up in the rankings.
For a period of about a year or so literally every light novel series which was eligible for MAL that got a new volume release was added to the site, but this was done before the sales thread was released (they were often unapproved when the sales thread came out, though, and the date of the sales thread never had any correlation with things getting approved), was done whether the series sold well or not, and was done manually by a handful of users including myself - nothing automatic about it. Both before and after this period there were plenty of eligible series that were not added, some of which got on the rankings.

again, I wasn't aware of this
I assumed they were getting approved because they made the news in MAL news section

looking into it after what you told me, it seems they indeed add them manually

I understand why for some cases because of the ongoing backlog problem, but for others I don't know why
for example in light novels new section here's a story about 'Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!' 2019 winner
https://myanimelist.net/news/56310326

and from the manga section here's a story about popular mangaka starting a new manga
https://myanimelist.net/news/57187735

they reported on them, on their stories, their artists, their prestige, when and where they are published
but they are not in the database? why? you already covered all the info needed in the story

anyway, thanks for a very informative post
Jun 23, 2019 8:47 AM

Dec 2011
MySummerCar said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

oh, I wasn't aware of that
but still, reporting the top 30 manga and top 10 ln is better than nothing at all

I don't know, to be honest. It's how it was done back when dtshyk used to post them if I remember right. Perhaps they feel as though it would be incomplete that way? Also the cumulative sales aren't included in the freely available data so those would either have to go or would exclude any weeks in which the volume doesn't rank.
kuuderes_shadowJun 23, 2019 9:06 AM

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7688 by kihel »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

131 by nerfsunny »»
Apr 24, 10:26 PM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.