Forum Settings
Forums

Name the anime that doesn't deserve all hatred it's gets

New
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 22, 2019 5:05 AM

May 2018
Sword Art Online!!! - but I really don't mind the hatred as it just spurs me on to love it EVEN more :D

Jun 22, 2019 5:06 AM

May 2018
BlancaXLobo said:
is it just me, or the Gundam franchise has too many black sheeps?
I mean, ZZ Gundam, Gundam G no Reconguista, SEED Destiny (and SEED by association)...

Things are a bit more complicated.
1. The main reason is that Yoshiyuki Tomino is a genius and in the same time quite mad.
Even his most beloved works like Zeta and Char's Counter Attack have very controversial elements - you must be already his fan to appropriate the weirdness.
Also titles created from his ideas but by different people like Gundam Unicorn are more comprehensible.
The actual black sheep of the Universal Century is Victory Gundam.
2. You are mixing universes here. Seed is in an alternative world.
The franchise is vast and very diverse. A lot of differnt teams worked on it.
The Universal Century titles (the original Gundam world) tend to be military action + drama.
Mobile Fighter G Gundam is in a different universe and looks like battle shounen with mechs.
Seed has a lot of shoujo elements.
Gundam Build Fighters is a sport tournament title for kids and gunpla enthusiasts.
ect
ect

For a franchise which is so big is natural to have that much trash and black sheeps.
alshuJun 22, 2019 5:10 AM
Jun 22, 2019 5:08 AM

Nov 2014
alshu said:
BlancaXLobo said:
is it just me, or the Gundam franchise has too many black sheeps?
I mean, ZZ Gundam, Gundam G no Reconguista, SEED Destiny (and SEED by association)...

Things are a bit more complicated.
1. The main reason is that Yoshiyuki Tomino is a genius and in the same time quite mad.
Even his most beloved works like Zeta and Char's Counter Attack have very controversial elements - you must be already his fan to appropriate the weirdness.
Also titles created from his ideas but by different people like Gundam Unicorn are more comprehensible.
The actual black sheep of the Universal Century is Victory Gundam.
2. You are mixing universes here. Seed is in an alternative world.
The franchise is vast and very diverse. A lot of differnt teams worked on it.
The Universal Century titles (the original Gundam world) tend to be military action + drama.
Mobile Fighter G Gundam is in a different universe and looks like battles shounen with mechs.
Seed has a lot of shoujo elements.
Gundam Build Fighters is a sport tournament title for kids and gunpla enthusiasts.
ect
ect

For a franchise which is so big is natural to have that much trash and black sheeps.

I already know that SEED, Wing, 00 and G Gundam are alternate universes, but that doesn't help the fandom to get mad to nearly every new show that comes out which isn't UC.
Jun 22, 2019 5:17 AM
Jan 2019
Darling in the FranXX

Just because the ending wasn't the best, doesn't mean people should discount the entire show.
Jun 22, 2019 5:21 AM

Jul 2017
PentagramShogoki said:
Evangelion receives tons of hate because of Shinji and the ending. Well, you have a movie that goes along with TV's ending (which is perfect for me because it flawlessly ends and rebuiilds Shinji's character and way to be) and you have a main character that was constructed in the way to not be your average Goku / Naruto.

24 years of calling Shinji a pussy are enough to understand how sick Anime's fanbase is.

i second this,

Jun 22, 2019 5:22 AM

May 2018
BlancaXLobo said:

I already know that SEED, Wing, 00 and G Gundam are alternate universes, but that doesn't help the fandom to get mad to nearly every new show that comes out which isn't UC.

You are generalising a bit.

00 has many fans inside and outside the Gundam fandom.
Gundam Build Fighters was loved by everyone (well not its continuations and Divers).
Iron-Blooded Orphans got quite a following (I hate it tho).
Gundam Wing is trash but also a gateway anime for many thus beloved.

And for example Gundam Age deserves to be disliked.

Yes, there are some vocal purist UC fans but I don't think they are that dominant...especially in the light that not every UC title is good.
alshuJun 22, 2019 5:26 AM
Jun 22, 2019 5:26 AM

Nov 2014
alshu said:
BlancaXLobo said:

Gundam Build Fighters was beloved by everyone (well not it's continuations and Divers).
Gundam Wing is trash but also a gateway anime for many. thus very beloved.

Yes, there are some vocal purist UC fans but I don't think they are that dominant...especially in the light that not every UC title is that good.

I know 00, Build Fighters, Iron-Blooded Orphans and Wing has fandoms, but i don't think you have known their hatedoms, which let me say. they're pretty vocal about what they dislike, which can be resume in everything.

"Build Fighters is a betrayal for what Gundam standed for and is an insult to Tomino's original vision"
"Who let the AnoHana's hoe wrote a Gundam series?"
"It's just a cast of bishies with stupid problems"
"Why they have to be shirtless while they pilot"

Please someone kill me.
Jun 22, 2019 5:35 AM

Oct 2017
Goblin Slayer. SJW outrage over a rape scene that made no sense. Typical anti-moe crowd didn't like the lighter shades displayed in the mix of tones it went for. They expected full-on dark and got something that went for a more varied world. Then some influential AniTubers started shitting on it too for worst reasons. Some bad use of CGI didn't help. Ultimately, what was a really fun show got dragged through the mud. Add it to the list of very anime anime which get put down by pretentious, high-minded pretend anime fans who don't like 90% of anime tropes.

Eromanga Sensei. Pedo-scare nonsense. I thought it was funny recently when I watched Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku and there was a poster for Eromanga Sensei repeatedly shown. Reminded me that, in spite of what people in the west say, Japanese culture for the most part has no issues with it. It's just tabboo humor and cute animated girls are cute no matter what imagined age you slap on them. Sagiri is still one of my top waifus and I don't care what some judgmental normie brainwashed by puritan western standards says.

AlphaN00b said:
boogiepop wa warawanai: basicly only those who watched it weekly hate it, thats not how its supposed to be watched.
ssss.gridman: its not a bad anime, its just targetted to a specific neiche.

I'm not sure Boogiepop gets hated on so much as it's just generally underrated. You're so right about watching weekly though. Seasonal watching kills so many good shows. Occasionally shows will get popular after the season is over as people pick it up and watch properly but not often enough.

Gridman is another one where I'm not sure 'hate' is the right word. Again though, you're right as to the reason. I actually think Gridman is an amazing show and only missed out on a 10/10 from me because I couldn't enjoy the tokusatsu stuff as much as I'd like. But I adored the characters, the general atmosphere, direction, art, sound, and it has one of the strongest endings I've seen.

77Anonymous__77 said:
Another.
People hate on it just because other people persuade the popular opinion new watchers, making them get into the show expecting trash.

Ahh. That explains why I see it so many peoples lists and it's always scored so low. It's another one of those shows with such a strong hate circle jerk around it that it gets mentioned just for "being bad" and people watch and then score it low kind of as a meme similar to Eromanga Sensei? I enjoyed the fuck out of Another. The characters were interesting, the mystery and atmosphere really worked for me, and it actually had an ending which was clever and made sense unlike a lot of similar mystery-type shows. It's so frustrating how sheepish some people are.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 22, 2019 5:44 AM
Apr 2017
AlphaN00b said:

boogiepop wa warawanai: basicly only those who watched it weekly hate it, thats not how its supposed to be watched.
Didn't watch it weekly and still thought it was mediocre nonsense. Not that it was atrocious (moments certainly were utter garbage, but overall it was a 5, give or take) but if anything it's overrated, honestly.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 22, 2019 5:52 AM

May 2018
BlancaXLobo said:
i don't think you have known their hatedoms, which let me say. they're pretty vocal about what they dislike, which can be resume in everything.

Every relatively popular title has haters, why are you even surprised?

BlancaXLobo said:
"Build Fighters is a betrayal for what Gundam standed for and is an insult to Tomino's original vision"

This is obviously written by a guy how doesn't know anything about the franchise (like for example what SD Gundam is)...I would't consider him/her fan...maybe a troll?

BlancaXLobo said:

And I hate IBO for the same reasons but hey...if it makes money Sunrise will continue to milk it.

BlancaXLobo said:

Is this about Seed? Sounds legit.

BlancaXLobo said:

Well duuuh, fujobait.

The last 3 sound like genuine complains of the type "I don't like X because Y". Not exactly hatred just rejection.

BlancaXLobo said:
Please someone kill me.

Are you new to internet...not really. I think you are overreacting a bit.
Jun 22, 2019 6:06 AM

Jul 2017
Kurgo said:
AlphaN00b said:

Didn't watch it weekly and still thought it was mediocre nonsense. Not that it was atrocious (moments certainly were utter garbage, but overall it was a 5, give or take) but if anything it's overrated, honestly.

nonsense? well, if you don't pay close attention it could turn into that, for me personally the chronological jumps were organised enough to keep track of what is going on. everything that seems like nonsense get answered as you go (well not exactly, it seem like they left some stuff in a hope for a second season).
i think the current mal rating of the show is fair enough tho.
Jun 22, 2019 6:21 AM

Nov 2014
alshu said:
BlancaXLobo said:
i don't think you have known their hatedoms, which let me say. they're pretty vocal about what they dislike, which can be resume in everything.

Every relatively popular title has haters, why are you even surprised?

BlancaXLobo said:

This is obviously written by a guy how doesn't know anything about the franchise (like for example what SD Gundam is)...I would't consider him/her fan...maybe a troll?
And you realised SD Gundam is even more hated than Build Fighters? Also someone can support Tomino's original vision and still hate all the marchandise driven cash cow shows like Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

alshu said:
BlancaXLobo said:

And I hate IBO for the same reasons but hey...if it makes money Sunrise will continue to milk it.
And with that you just prove my point A.K.A. a good percentage of the Gundam fandom are a bunch of crybabies who only know to bitch, complain, whine and shit on every new installament that gets released.

alshu said:
BlancaXLobo said:

Is this about Seed? Sounds legit.
And about 00 and Wing. Iron Blooded Orphans tend to be more bara, if you know what i'm saying.

BlancaXLobo said:

Well duuuh, fujobait.[/quote]Do you think i'm retarded?

alshu said:
BlancaXLobo said:
Please someone kill me.

Are you new to internet...not really. I think you are overreacting a bit.
No, i just have low tolerance for guys with nothing better to do than explain me everything like i was born fucking yesterday.
Jun 22, 2019 6:23 AM

Nov 2014
PentagramShogoki said:
Evangelion receives tons of hate because of Shinji and the ending. Well, you have a movie that goes along with TV's ending (which is perfect for me because it flawlessly ends and rebuiilds Shinji's character and way to be) and you have a main character that was constructed in the way to not be your average Goku / Naruto.

24 years of calling Shinji a pussy are enough to understand how sick Anime's fanbase is.

Only people who miss the point of Evangelion dislike Evangelion.
Jun 22, 2019 6:27 AM

Oct 2018
Elfen Lied. Even though I think it overuses gore it's still a good show.
Jun 22, 2019 6:31 AM

Aug 2018
1. School Days
2. Sword Art Online
3. Elfen Lied
Jun 22, 2019 6:43 AM

May 2018
BlancaXLobo said:
And you realised SD Gundam is even more hated than Build Fighters?

Actually never heard someone talking about this show for long...so I guess but why should we care?

BlancaXLobo said:
Also someone can support Tomino's original vision and still hate all the marchandise driven cash cow shows like Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

I don't like it too (for many reasons) but my general impression is that it's widely beloved.

BlancaXLobo said:
And with that you just prove my point A.K.A. a good percentage of the Gundam fandom are a bunch of crybabies who only know to bitch, complain, whine and shit on every new installament that gets released.

Or it's the other way around - the Mari Okada's fans are bunch of crybabies who only know to bitch, complain, whine and shit on everyone who dares to insult their godess by refusing to worship her.

BlancaXLobo said:
And about 00 and Wing. Iron Blooded Orphans tend to be more bara, if you know what i'm saying.

Yeah, I know fans that refused to watch 00 just on that base. For me this is more of a sign that some people can't adapt to the changes in the industry (decades old changes).

BlancaXLobo said:
alshu said:
Well duuuh, fujobait.
Do you think i'm retarded?

No but you are reacting to people reacting to fujobait...and blame automatically all the fandom.

BlancaXLobo said:
No, i just have low tolerance for guys with nothing better to do than explain me everything like i was born fucking yesterday.

I am accusing you only to blowing it a bit out of proportion, which is also an internet thing.
alshuJun 22, 2019 6:49 AM
Jun 22, 2019 6:48 AM
Jul 2018
Erased anime ending. Okay so it wasn't as good as the manga but damn it was still a great show.
School Days. People praise shows like Higurashi and Madoka for starting out normal then turning into a shit show but condemn School Days for the same reason. Also, you are not supposed to like the main character so why get mad cause you do.
The ones where people hate them just because they are super popular: Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia for example.
Jun 22, 2019 7:15 AM

Sep 2014
BlancaXLobo said:
I know 00, Build Fighters, Iron-Blooded Orphans and Wing has fandoms, but i don't think you have known their hatedoms, which let me say. they're pretty vocal about what they dislike, which can be resume in everything.

I mean yeah, and as a Gundam fan I find it so disappointing, and believe people are way too harsh at everything that is not UC. Praising the originals to high heavens while trashing the side series, when they're really not that different and often share the exact same problems. I understand having preferences either way, but the gap between them isn't big to warrant calling one a visionary masterpiece and another trash.

Build Fighters is a betrayal for what Gundam standed for and is an insult to Tomino's original vision"

Frankly... I am not even sure what is that supposed to mean. Sounds extremely pretentious, "Gundam is this and that and it can't be anything else". And I actually dislike the series as it lacks almost all the appeal of other gundam to me.

I mean, IBO has some problems, but I am not too sure if the guy is to blame. And it has some strong points as well. Kudelia is one of the best main girls of all gundam (and definitely the hottest), for one. Not a big fan but I'm glad it got big in Japan. People latch onto the first thing they can find and repeat it over and over 'anohana director, the series is doomed', fucking honestly.

Yeah, completely ridiculous. Dismissing a whole series because for once the character designs are attractive. 00 is great, one of the best gundam. Shit gets bit wacky in the second season, but the first one was very good, has lovable cast and I feel has a lot in common with Code Geass. No wonder it's so popular, even among people that aren't much into mecha. I feel it's bit like Seed, but just better, and comes from the era where digital art actually looks good. Early 2000s were pretty damn bad when it comes to how characters look.

And yeah, what you say is true, but I think you're bit generalizing. Every series, and by extension all gundam entries have some vocal haters. It's kind of annoying when people try and dismiss something based on a single thing, especially one that isn't even inherently negative (the bishonen babble about 00, lol), and there definitely is a bunch of UC purists, but I wouldn't generalize the whole Gundam fandom like that. Despite all of them, most gundam series manage to be quite popular and successful, and even have decently high scores here on MAL.

I feel Reco is the most universally trashed one, and it has one of the lowest ratings of all TV seris on mal. I just don't get it personally.
Jun 22, 2019 7:28 AM
Jun 2016
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Quantum-Tangent said:
Houseki no Kuni - people are always quick to write the show off because of the cgi, the all female cast, and some people even calling it a steven universe rip off just reading the synopsis, but my God the show is amazing and has some of the best character development I've seen in anime. Honestly they're only really hurting themselves by not giving it a chance.

It's not even an all female cast though. Aren't all the gems genderless?
petran79 said:
High School Fleet
It is compared to Girls und Panzer, but despite having the same script writer it is and should be different. In Panzer there was never the risk of getting injured and girls did not even wear helmets.
Fleet is more realistic in that regard since they use live ammunition, they are isolated at sea and it becomes more than just a game with no risk involved.
Despite selling quite well, it lacked the same promotion.

Quantum-Tangent said:
Houseki no Kuni - people are always quick to write the show off because of the cgi, the all female cast, and some people even calling it a steven universe rip off just reading the synopsis, but my God the show is amazing and has some of the best character development I've seen in anime. Honestly they're only really hurting themselves by not giving it a chance.

By female cast you mean the voice actors? Because characters there are gender less.

Yeah ik I'm just speaking from the perspective of someone who won't give the show a chance.
Jun 22, 2019 7:34 AM
Nov 2017
Hunter X Hunter. Everyone hates it because the fandom of it always said it is the best shonen. But for me, even though it is not the best shonen for you, that doesn't mean you have to hate it. I'm really sure if you don't really like HXH as everyone, at least you will find it better than Dragon Ball, Naruto, and any other shonen.

Steins Gate. Well, I don't really know if it has a haters around the internet, but at least almost all of my friends hate it, and their reason are the same; it is boring. Well, alright, you can say that, but not in the first 2 episodes. They just can't continue it because they didn't watch it until the end, because Steins Gate is the type of anime you have to watch until the end, then if you hate it, I'm okay, as long as you finish the series.

Erased (especially the ending). They just don't really get the ending, because they think Erased is a type of anime where the MC try to get a lovers.
Jun 22, 2019 7:47 AM
Mar 2016
Code Geass, it seems everyone is a critic when it comes to this anime
SAO too
Jun 22, 2019 7:59 AM
Nov 2017
Ashscot said:
School Days. I was hesitant to watch it at first due to all the hate it got, but finally decided to give it a go. To my surprise, I actually liked it and didn’t think it was that bad.

I'm really sure a lot of people hate School days, including me is because Katsura, who is innocent didn't get what she deserves. I mean, actually I love the idea of it, where the main guy just become an asshole, and the ending is perfect for the series. I just can't stand looking at that innocent girl who doesn't know anything just got toyed with an asshole, which makes me kinda want to punch that guy. And that's not why I look at anime. I want to entertain myself, not making me angry. And this angry is different with Griffith in Berserk, becayse it is relatable. It is like pouring ice cream with a Pizza and eat them together. They both are good, but if you eat them that way that will just destroy it.
Jun 22, 2019 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
Vazka said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

The first 16 episodes of GT are better than all of Z and Super.
Then again, Z and Super suck balls, so that by itself isn't saying much.

But yes, they are quite good. Not "original DB" good, but still at a very acceptable level.

Maybe Super, but not Z. First arc of GT was just the same shit as OG Dragon ball, but done much worse.

I'd rather have a mediocre attempt at 86 Dragon Ball than the entirety of Z.

DB died when Goku grew up. As far as I'm concerned, it ended with the King Piccolo Saga.
Jun 22, 2019 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Highschool DxD and Date a Live may not be great anime from an objective standpoint, but I think that among the ecchi/harem genre, they're the best I've watched, and have a lot more heart and soul put into them, than 99% of ecchi/harems.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
I recently finished watching both seasons of Asterisk War and it was actually pretty good.

It suffered from poor character introductions early on, but became more compelling as more meat of the story started happening.

In that case, how do you feel about Digibro's, "The Asterisk War Sucks" videos?
Jun 22, 2019 10:15 AM

May 2009
brijesh said:
I have not watched asterisk yet except some sample videos but Chivalry sucks I can't watch it further after 2 episode. I think asterisk might prove to be better
Hope you like it!

And lol I also dropped Chivalry only to be suggested to watch further becausei it gets better. To be fair, it did, but overall I still liked it less.

-Shinzo said:
Guilty Crown and SAO gets a lot of hate pretty much
I had trouble enjoying Guilty Crown myself but considering how much some other people have enjoyed it I've always wanted to figure it out so I could get more out of it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 22, 2019 11:50 AM

Feb 2019
Shakugan no shana 3, only a few understand well this season.
Jun 22, 2019 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
Sarazanmai. It just finished airing and although there isn't a huge hate-base (can I say that?), I guess people just don't understand Ikuhara shows to begin with. I mean, there's an Ikuhara bingo for God's sake.

Black Clover. I read the manga and breezed through most of the chapters because they seemed pretty darn interesting. Come on, at least let it have a rating closing to 7.5. Darling in the Franxx was a mess but its rating is higher.

Sword Art Online. No wait, scratch that. It was bad.

Hanoka. It just made me sad tbh. People should realise that it was animated using Flash without hating on it for doing a good job with the animation to begin with.

I forgot about the rest but there you go.
Jun 22, 2019 12:04 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
BlancaXLobo said:
alshu said:

Gundam Build Fighters was beloved by everyone (well not it's continuations and Divers).
Gundam Wing is trash but also a gateway anime for many. thus very beloved.

Yes, there are some vocal purist UC fans but I don't think they are that dominant...especially in the light that not every UC title is that good.

Please someone kill me.

A lot of people hated the second seasons of 00 (and its movie) and IBO, which is where most of the criticism for those entries come from.

From what I’ve seen of gundam so far, I prefer AU gundam over Universal Century.
Jun 22, 2019 12:10 PM

May 2009
W123 said:
One thing that made me really enjoy chivalry were the fight scenes.
However the ecchi was really bad in my opinion. How does asterisk fights compare? And is the ecchi toned down ?
Regarding the ecchi, I'm not sure how to compare the two, but Asterisk War definitely has some ecchi scenes, such as one female character coming out of the shower in a bathrobe and sexually propositioning a male character, as well as a wet shirt scene involving two of the characters. I don't remember Chivalry's scenes as clearly but I think Asterisk has similar or somewhat less? Maybe. But in general, as the show progressed, there was less of it. Part of the nice thing about it having two seasons was that it got to spend more time having less focus on the fanservice and the awkward relationship rivalries.

With regards to those awkward relationship rivalries though, I think Asterisk was definitely less awkward about it, albeit due to two of the female characters being less obnoxiously demanding of the male lead's attention.

With regards to the fight scenes, I think Asterisk has more of them (due to being longer), and I feel they definitely did a good job of showing off the some rather complex mechanics and strategies used. Not all fights were given equal screentime, of course, but the ones that were covered in detail were covered very effectively IMO. Also, the fact that these are duo team fights mean that a lot more interesting tactics are possible, and I found these tactics very entertaining to watch.

HopefulNihilist said:
Highschool DxD and Date a Live may not be great anime from an objective standpoint, but I think that among the ecchi/harem genre, they're the best I've watched, and have a lot more heart and soul put into them, than 99% of ecchi/harems.
I wonder to what extent this sort of opinion of "most"/"the rest"/"99%"/etc. of a genre having little "heart and soul put into them" may have more to do with simply lack of personal enjoyment or lack of attraction to the genre. Like, how do you measure "heart and soul"? (Obviously there's no direct measurement, but I'm asking you to clarify what you mean by this, and why you think DAL and HSDxD are so much better.)

HopefulNihilist said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I recently finished watching both seasons of Asterisk War and it was actually pretty good.

It suffered from poor character introductions early on, but became more compelling as more meat of the story started happening.

In that case, how do you feel about Digibro's, "The Asterisk War Sucks" videos?
I thought I already covered this in gory detail in your thread about Digibro?

Anyway, I disagree with them, of course.

His overall points are that the characterization makes little sense, that clichés were used, and that he found little that was interesting/unique/innovative about the series that he could latch onto. He also engages in a lot of nitpicking, some of which turned out to defy his expectations since I've actually seen the second season and know what the characters were foreshadowing.

I actually agree with him that the character introductions were generally annoying, but then he likes Chivalry more, and that had even more absurd and obnoxious characterization, so I'm like confused_nick_young.png. (Compare Julis's "you saw me in an embarrassing moment so I'm going to beat you up!" with Stella's "you saw me in an embarrassing moment so I'm going to beat you up and then make you my slave!".)

Aside from that, he's mainly just nitpicking over his hate for clichés (e.g. he feels Ayato is too perfect, basically), his personal desire for the setting to be something more to his liking (basically he would have preferred it to be a cyberpunk setting), and a variety of little "but this doesn't make sense!" and "but that doesn't make sense!" complaints which neglect the fact that rarely is every little detail deviating from real life in a non-realistic setting explained and for that matter some of them are actually some of them are setups that are explained much later.

Meanwhile, he clearly does not address a number of positive qualities of the show, such as its overall aesthetic which was very cohesively presented (with more consistency than Chivalry), and which he criticized because it didn't match his vision for a more interesting show. And he only very briefly makes like one single mention of Rasmus Faber's music. And of course he even bother watching the second series which covers more of the story including addressing various details raised in the first season. (He clearly wasn't the intended audience; he admits as much; I don't really blame him for not continuing, but I do fault him for not limiting the scope of his criticisms. Besides he still is also a prominent youtuber so making a giant 12-part series shitting on the show does raise eyebrows, but I'm not really sure how to quantify this aspect, or whether it should factor into my assessment of his video series at all.)

A recent conversation about this with an offsite friend suggests to me that what Digibro is specifically prizing something that he feels is different and thereby both interesting to him and has value in advancing the medium as a whole (whatever that might mean). Whereas I'm looking for a story that's well put together and enjoyable on its own. So essentially, Digibro prioritizes the metacontext of the medium, while I prefer to focus on a story in isolation from the rest of the medium. I feel an approach like his puts too much emphasis on novelty value and doing things differently than before.

(Also I think he liked Chivalry more in part because the main character had darker shades to his backstory (and also had more of his backstory presented earlier), and because the ecchi scenes arguably "went further" in displaying the two lead characters' romance via sexual tension whereas Asterisk War never did as much in that regard, and even in its second season it shows Julis and Ayato growing more trusting of each other in a personal way but doesn't make much of a display of sexuality, rather choosing to focus on their cooperation as a team.)
Jun 22, 2019 12:16 PM

Feb 2019
Sarazanmai may not have too much of a hate culture around it, but fuck, it doesn't deserve its low rating, which is pretty low for MAL standards.

Idol anime in general, specially the big ones, such as Love Live.
Jun 22, 2019 12:22 PM

Nov 2018
Fairy Tail, I used to hate on it. Yeah, sure it's kind of childish and cringy, and has asspulls sometimes but it ain't a trash anime. Average at best, maybe, but bad? Come on
Jun 22, 2019 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I wonder to what extent this sort of opinion of "most"/"the rest"/"99%"/etc. of a genre having little "heart and soul put into them" may have more to do with simply lack of personal enjoyment or lack of attraction to the genre. Like, how do you measure "heart and soul"? (Obviously there's no direct measurement, but I'm asking you to clarify what you mean by this, and why you think DAL and HSDxD are so much better.)

First off, I actually genuinely really like the characters in DAL and HSDxD: sure, they're not as complex as the cast in an anime like, Monster or Berserk, but most of them have a reasonable amount of depth so they're not one dimensional, don't feel like archetypes (for the most part), and they're very entertaining: in their personality and chemistry with the other characters.
Second, DxD and DAL actually have a much heavier emphasis on plot than an ecchi/harem like, To Love Ru.
Third, DxD is not ashamed of being an ecchi/harem, unlike other ecchi/harems I've seen: the protagonist's dream is literally the genre: to acquire a harem, and he's the most entertaining, and interesting ecchi/harem protagonist I've seen. The girls in DxD actively are trying to fuck the MC, rather than be passive and wait for accidental sexual situations (for the most part). DxD is actually hilarious: especially the dub. The main female lead in DxD, Rias, subverts the typical female love interest in ecchi/harems: rather than being short, submissive, a tsundere, she's tall, dominant, and open about her feelings towards the protagonist my love for DxD has nothing to do with the fact that I love tall dominant female characters

GlennMagusHarvey said:
I thought I already covered this in gory detail in your thread about Digibro?

I'm sorry, I forgot you explained before.
Jun 22, 2019 12:42 PM

Jun 2015
FairyTail

Elfen lied

OPM2

rettousei
Jun 22, 2019 12:43 PM

Jan 2018
tookawaiii said:
elfen lied
future diary and mawaru penguindrum (i seriously cant comprehend all the hatred behind these two lmao they are?)
ajin

but again,a lot of the times (apart from people who actually just have preferences etc) people will just shit on good anime to seem either edgy or that they are better/superior,or both.

I hate Future Diary. It is definitely the worst anime I've ever watched. Even the interesting story wasn't able to save it. You wanna know why I hate it? Because it has the most disgusting and annoying characters I've ever seen. I legit cannot comprehend how can someone write such horrible characters. This show made me hate fictional characters. Thats how bad it is. Sorry for ranting, hehe :)
Jun 22, 2019 12:45 PM
May 2017
moshiyare said:
Hanoka. It just made me sad tbh. People should realise that it was animated using Flash without hating on it for doing a good job with the animation to begin with.

definitely agree with this, i didn't even realize it was setting up a Chekhov's Gun when it got confusing during the halfway point until it fired in the last episode and made perfect sense
Jun 22, 2019 1:15 PM

Sep 2017
oguba said:
tookawaiii said:
elfen lied
future diary and mawaru penguindrum (i seriously cant comprehend all the hatred behind these two lmao they are?)
ajin

but again,a lot of the times (apart from people who actually just have preferences etc) people will just shit on good anime to seem either edgy or that they are better/superior,or both.

I hate Future Diary. It is definitely the worst anime I've ever watched. Even the interesting story wasn't able to save it. You wanna know why I hate it? Because it has the most disgusting and annoying characters I've ever seen. I legit cannot comprehend how can someone write such horrible characters. This show made me hate fictional characters. Thats how bad it is. Sorry for ranting, hehe :)

thats such weak ass reasoning i cant tell if you are trolling me or something...
If not,whats so bad about the characters? Each has good development and one way or another u get attached to at least ONE character + i agree there are a lot of annoying moments but they still have good scenes that make you forget the bad ones.
& again,imo without offense thats a petty reason,especially if one simple show “made me (you) hate fictional characters.”...if thats true why are you still here on mal?

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jun 22, 2019 1:16 PM

Jul 2017
one piece
it has a slow start and its to be expected since its a long running shounen series and it does take you time to get used to its art style
Jun 22, 2019 1:16 PM

Dec 2016
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Vazka said:

Maybe Super, but not Z. First arc of GT was just the same shit as OG Dragon ball, but done much worse.

DB died when Goku grew up. As far as I'm concerned, it ended with the King Piccolo Saga.

Why you say so? You don't like how the narrative focused more in battles rather than adventures or you just didn't want Goku to become an adult?
Jun 22, 2019 1:35 PM

Apr 2013
Charlotte comes to mind. The show gets shit for its ending all the time..... but imo it wasnt even bad. Sure, its kinda unrealistic and not amazingly written but its actually pretty conclusive. Minor
Considering that 95% of anime ends on read-the-manga cliffhangers and doesnt get any conclusion at all..... keeping that in mind I wouldnt call Charlotte’s ending terrible.
Jun 22, 2019 1:39 PM

May 2009
Flevalt said:
1. Gantz

2. Gantz

3. Gantz

That's it.
That's that show with the big black orb and people in bodysuits, right? (Well, the show that's got these and isn't Element Hunters at least.)

I remember seeing a bit of it at some point. Seemed vaguely interesting.
Jun 22, 2019 1:57 PM

Jan 2018
tookawaiii said:

thats such weak ass reasoning i cant tell if you are trolling me or something...
If not,whats so bad about the characters? Each has good development and one way or another u get attached to at least ONE character + i agree there are a lot of annoying moments but they still have good scenes that make you forget the bad ones.
& again,imo without offense thats a petty reason,especially if one simple show “made me (you) hate fictional characters.”...if thats true why are you still here on mal?

Since when is hating a show because of bad characters a weak ass reason?

Good development? That brat of a MC suddenly does a 180 and completely change personality. Only character that had a good development was that female terrorist.

Ah sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I meant for the first time I hated a fictional character because of this show.
Jun 22, 2019 2:03 PM

Sep 2014
oguba said:

Good development? That brat of a MC suddenly does a 180 and completely change personality.

Not that I disagree, I did find the change of Yukiteru absolutely ridiculous as well, but that's just extremely ironic coming from someone with Kaneki avatar, lmao. That guy had the exact same thing happen as Yuki. Author decided 'time to get him badass finally' so it happens.
Jun 22, 2019 2:57 PM

Dec 2018
K-On for sure. IMO one of the best ever, people hate on it because of the precedent and because it started the whole CGDCT thing, even though K-On is so much more then that.
Jun 22, 2019 3:01 PM

Dec 2018
PentagramShogoki said:

If you are legitimately, unironically going to say Evangelion is better then it gets credit for, you just have no controvercial opinions are are generally uninteresting. It's hated because it's clearly flawed...... but despite those flaws or even because of everybody loves it. This is dumb.
Jun 22, 2019 3:08 PM

Jun 2019
Cory in the House
I really don't understand why people hate this masterpiece.

Jun 22, 2019 3:08 PM

Apr 2015
Sao. It's clearly a case of "hey it's popular, let's hate it"
Jun 22, 2019 3:10 PM

Jun 2019
WeisserSchnee2 said:
Sao. It's clearly a case of "hey it's popular, let's hate it"

The main reason why people hate SAO is the second part of the first season and youtubers who make negative videos about it.

Jun 22, 2019 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
Arkab said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

Why you say so? You don't like how the narrative focused more in battles rather than adventures or you just didn't want Goku to become an adult?

Because the power levels spiked and it completely altered the show.

As a kid, Goku was strong as balls, but still felt human. A good martial artist could defeat him. Any human being who trained just as hard as him had a chance. That made him a superhero, but not Superman.

There was absolutely no valid reason to introduce so much power creep. That's something that should happen in online games, not anime.
Krillin was a badass. Yamcha was a badass. Tien was practically the ultimate badass. These characters are jokes in Dragon Ball Z. They are walking memes.

Lunch, an incredible female character, was essentially deleted. Because how would a chick with a machine gun compete against General Zod?
Chi-Chi? Forget it. Bury that helmet and go make some sandwiches instead.

Yes, it's true that I despise the "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" nature of Dragon Ball Z. Bunch of monkeys running around screaming and collecting power ups.
All that matters are the flashy "fights," with energy beams bouncing around everywhere... PEW! PEW! PEW! What a pretty light show.

But above all, I hate what they did to most of the cast. And for what? To introduce a bunch of soulless aliens and androids? Seriously, who gives a shit? You're gonna bend over and sodomize your existent cast for that? Come on...
Jun 22, 2019 3:24 PM

Oct 2013
i guess sword art online , made in abyss , black clover , and berserk 2016
Sawada_10Jun 26, 2019 10:04 AM
Jun 22, 2019 3:53 PM

Jul 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:

one thing for sure is that your musical tastes are not shitty
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

6 by Fluffygreygrass »»
5 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

8 by piyowizfoot »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 43 minutes ago

5 by Catalano »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

17 by Catalano »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

18 by TeBaTe »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.