Forum Settings
Forums

Anime is not escapism, modern objectivity is the real escapism!

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Mar 1, 2019 2:01 AM

Oct 2008
[quote=Safeanew message=57044834][quote=zieek message=57044811]
Safeanew said:

That is nice!
What would you say is special about anime for you compared to other mediums, what kind of experience do you get?

Not an appropriate responce I know but bear with me.

When I watch an anime I feel I relate more to the characters portrayed there than the actors in liveaction. Their lives seem closer to mine, their way of thinking is straightforward and naive.

The situations in films, tv series and books are supposed to make you feel as though you live through everything the mc's have expirianced, and are entertained by it. But the messages they offer, given to the viewer are not appealing, at least to me. Anime is to put it simply easier to take in, maybe I'm just more susceptible to watching drawings and being influanced by them than by liveaction.

Let's agree or agree to disagree, shall we.
Mar 1, 2019 2:03 AM

Jul 2014
Archenhaud said:
Fiction is escapism, especially in modern times. End of discussion for me tbh.
Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?... If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!

J.R.R. Tolkien said:
Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls? The world outside has not become less real because the prisoner cannot see it. In using escape in this way the critics have chosen the wrong word,and, what is more, they are confusing, not always by sincere error, the Escape of the Prisoner with the Flight of the Deserter.

While I can agree with this, is not my criticizing the word, actually making the same point as J.R.R. Tolkien but in the context of this forum?
Calling fiction escapist today means "the flight of the deserter" by those who use it.
The thing to add to "the escape of the prison" is in fiction finding "the will to change the prison", that is the political power of fiction, that is seeing reality through fiction.
Mar 1, 2019 2:07 AM

May 2013
Safeanew said:

Yeah you have showed that our opinions is the opposite of each.

you: me:

Anime is escapism to you. Calling anime escapist is escapist to me.

Clear divide between reality/fiction No clear divide between reality/fiction

Freedom is without worry/angst Freedom is with worry/angst

This what we disagree upon as I see it.

True, but you removed the bit about critical thinking. I can think deeply about anime just as any other person. I could write pages on the character analyses on Neon Genesis Evangelion or Re-Zero, for example.

What I am trying to get out of you is how do you establish the link between critical thinking (as this was the argument you brought forth initially) and enjoyment (which I brought up), because escapism can include both. Your arguments so far haven't touched upon the link.

Hope that was clear.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Mar 1, 2019 2:08 AM

Jul 2014
Shiroanon said:
Safeanew said:

It is a double point found in one point, and that is to start discussion about anime more freely!
The reasons you said are great!
I enjoyed sakura kiss too, I am a big fan of yuri, but I had my big complaints with it.
I am for discussing, there is no better way to discuss then say what one thinks, i am just promoting that idea.
and why is saying something is escapism not discussion? you keep on claiming people saying that prevents discussion, but why

Because people avoid sounding stupid to appear normal because of such words, they don't want to sound like a lunatic that takes seriously the fantasy worlds others call escapist, like the idea that fiction teaches us about real life is to cracy for many people.
I am just commenting on a way of speaking I have seen not only here but in life in general, people are too scared to really talk by the appeal to common sense.
Mar 1, 2019 2:09 AM

Oct 2011
Safeanew said:
iasuru said:

I think you are mixing up escape and escapism here. You are likely making something simple more complicated for no reason.
So if trying to make people talk in a certain way is escapism, does that mean that laws are escapism.

You could say that "common sense is an escape from really listening to other people". Yeah an escape, not an escapism.

You sure you didn't get your terms mixed up?

My point is that how people use escapism is wrong, because the only escapist part of enjoying fiction is this 'common sense' that hinders fully exploring said fiction and seeing it as a means in itself.

Wat. How is it wrong. Escapism in fiction is basically the fantasy aspect of it. This person is so interested in fiction that he makes the troubles of real life less worse by thinking and engaging on fiction.
Mar 1, 2019 2:11 AM

Apr 2016

Safeanew said:
joshua10red said:
Hmmm honestly i never thought of anime an escapism.. For me is like a hobby,an entertainment, a way to relax.

That is great, what do you like in the anime you like?

For me to like an anime it has to meet some elements.
First of all it needs to have a good story that can keep me entertained. If the story is bad, boring or in worst cases disturbing or disgusting then there's 0 chances to like that anime.
Secondly, it needs good art and animation. If the story is good but the characters look like crap or the anime has bad CGI then again I can't like that anime.
Then it comes the characters. If the anime doesn't have at least one enjoyable character then i can't like that anime.
And of course music. The better the music is the more I like the anime..

So in short in my favorite anime i like the story, art/animation, characters and the music

Mar 1, 2019 2:13 AM

Jul 2014
[quote=zieek message=57044899][quote=Safeanew message=57044834]
zieek said:
Safeanew said:

That is nice!
What would you say is special about anime for you compared to other mediums, what kind of experience do you get?

Not an appropriate responce I know but bear with me.

When I watch an anime I feel I relate more to the characters portrayed there than the actors in liveaction. Their lives seem closer to mine, their way of thinking is straightforward and naive.

The situations in films, tv series and books are supposed to make you feel as though you live through everything the mc's have expirianced, and are entertained by it. But the messages they offer, given to the viewer are not appealing, at least to me. Anime is to put it simply easier to take in, maybe I'm just more susceptible to watching drawings and being influanced by them than by liveaction.

Let's agree or agree to disagree, shall we.

Great comment!

Yeah agree that anime is more relateable to me then non-anime, it is hard to say all these details that catch ones eye.
Anime feels for me like it can delve in to other topics that other mediums don't touch.
The characters that show up in anime is also hard to find anywhere else.
Because it is drawings it can more freely express the motions it wants to show.
Mar 1, 2019 2:19 AM
May 2016
Safeanew said:
Shiroanon said:
and why is saying something is escapism not discussion? you keep on claiming people saying that prevents discussion, but why

Because people avoid sounding stupid to appear normal because of such words, they don't want to sound like a lunatic that takes seriously the fantasy worlds others call escapist, like the idea that fiction teaches us about real life is to cracy for many people.
I am just commenting on a way of speaking I have seen not only here but in life in general, people are too scared to really talk by the appeal to common sense.
alright, now i'm understanding what you're saying and i do agree. but not all anime is supposed to be taken 100% seriously, or have any deeper meaning to it, so it'd be pretty pointless to try to analyze and dissect it on a deeper level
Mar 1, 2019 2:20 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Safeanew said:

Yeah you have showed that our opinions is the opposite of each.

you: me:

Anime is escapism to you. Calling anime escapist is escapist to me.

Clear divide between reality/fiction No clear divide between reality/fiction

Freedom is without worry/angst Freedom is with worry/angst

This what we disagree upon as I see it.

True, but you removed the bit about critical thinking. I can think deeply about anime just as any other person. I could write pages on the character analyses on Neon Genesis Evangelion or Re-Zero, for example.

What I am trying to get out of you is how do you establish the link between critical thinking (as this was the argument you brought forth initially) and enjoyment (which I brought up), because escapism can include both. Your arguments so far haven't touched upon the link.

Hope that was clear.

Yeah that is clear, great comment!

My link between using the word escapism and critical thinking is that for me critical thinking is in engaging discussion with people that don't agree and using that word is an end of discussion word that avoids comparing fiction and reality more fully.
When people use it about what they enjoy I find that often means that they hold back there opinions about the fiction because they don't want to distort the line reality/fiction and sound like a cracy person.
But for me being a cracy person is using critcal thinking.
Mar 1, 2019 2:24 AM

Jul 2014
Shiroanon said:
Safeanew said:

alright, now i'm understanding what you're saying and i do agree. but not all anime is supposed to be taken 100% seriously, or have any deeper meaning to it, so it'd be pretty pointless to try to analyze and dissect it on a deeper level

Oh I fully agree with this just that can a person that want to dissect it discuss it with someone that don't want to dissect it just want to banter about it?
I hope so, because people disagree about alot things and I hope people from different viewpoints can discuss anyway, if it does not work one can always try something else.
Mar 1, 2019 2:25 AM

Mar 2015
rohitt123 said:
Hi My name is Rohit I am a travel agent if want to visit the Rajasthan and Delhi then it is the best agency to provide the tour package in both place combo pack so you can easily contact to the agency

Delhi Rajasthan tour package is here on the budget price by the Rajasthan tourism packages

and for the budget price tour you can go on this link
Rajathan tour

Hello, Rohit, what is your favorite anime? I like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. You would probably like Part 3: Stardust Crusaders because they visit many fabulous locations around the world! Even India! It is a fantastic show about the beauties of the world.
Mar 1, 2019 2:54 AM

Dec 2015
... Yes it is

This thread is crazy and I don't wanna waste my time arguing, but had to say that.
Mar 1, 2019 2:58 AM

Jul 2014
siccoyote said:
... Yes it is

This thread is crazy and I don't wanna waste my time arguing, but had to say that.

Thanks for the compliment!
I will not argue with being crazy!
Mar 1, 2019 3:51 AM

Jul 2014
joshua10red said:

Safeanew said:

That is great, what do you like in the anime you like?

First of all it needs to have a good story that can keep me entertained. If the story is bad, boring or in worst cases disturbing or disgusting then there's 0 chances to like that anime.
Secondly, it needs good art and animation. If the story is good but the characters look like crap or the anime has bad CGI then again I can't like that anime.
Then it comes the characters. If the anime doesn't have at least one enjoyable character then i can't like that anime.

So in short in my favorite anime i like the story, art/animation, characters and the music

Great comment!
So you like when every part fits together and no part stands out as really bad.
It is great to be critical of details one don't like in a show.
What anime have best music in your opinion?
Mar 1, 2019 5:23 AM

Dec 2015
I think you should give up on having such a discussion with the people of AD because the amount of simpletons found here is frightening.

Anyway, to me anime is something I grew up with and can tie to my interest in Japanese culture. I know it's a very distorted view of said culture but whenever I can find something in there I can always look it up. I love learning about things I didn't know about so it's not like a punishment or something. One example I can give is Aria The Animation which is my first ever iyashikei. Before I watched it I looked up what iyashikei is and found a term called mono no aware, which basically means "the pathos of things". It's basically just knowing that everything ends or changes with time and the feeling it induces. I watched Aria to know that feeling.

Another reason why I watch anime is because they can be great thinkpieces. I'm the kind of person that just needs to ponder about things and can easily spend half an hour on thinking about something that interests me. This can be some message I got from some series (Monogatari and Medaka box are great for this) or just trying to figure out what the creators are trying to convey. This is actually the reason why I like the dementia genre so much since it gives you lots of food for thought. So I should thank you for giving me such an interesting topic to think about. It's a true breath of fresh air compared to all the bullshit I have to encounter here on a daily basis.
Mar 1, 2019 5:28 AM

Apr 2016
Safeanew said:
joshua10red said:

Great comment!
So you like when every part fits together and no part stands out as really bad.
It is great to be critical of details one don't like in a show.
What anime have best music in your opinion?

Hmmm hard question.. I saw a lot of anime with great music and I can't pick only one. 😅

anime about music /bands with great music : "Nana" , "Fuuka", "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso"

Nana and Fuuka 2 anime about rock bands. Both have amazing OPs and Eds and the OST is simply brilliant.. Great insert rock songs with amazing sound and beautiful lyrics.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso anime with classical music. 1st OP by Goose House and 2nd and 3rd ED by 7!!. If you ever heard a song from those 2 bands you probably know how great their songs are. Everyone knows that classical music means high quality music so an OST with classical music is amazing.

Non music anime
Sword Art Online.
OPs and EDs sung only by top class anisong artists :LiSA, Eir Aoi, Haruna Luna, Haruka Tomatsu and ASCA. OST created by Yuki Kajiura an amazing composer.

Kimi no Na Wa
OST composed and sung by RADWIMPS. The songs played during important moments are simply breathtaking

Violet Evergarden.
An amazing OP by TRUE. An incredible OST that matches perfectly with the story and hits you right in the heart.

Re:CREATORS
OPs and OST created by Sawano Hiroyuki a true genius. All the insert songs played in the anime during fights and important moments are stunning

Mar 1, 2019 8:03 AM

Apr 2017
Safeanew said:

I don't think you are making the same point as the others.
My point is why should your life hinder you in any way more then it already does from fully enjoying fiction.
My point is also even if you think it is impossible, the only way to face that despair is through angst.

I don't know what makes you think that using anime as one of my escape routes means I can't fully enjoy it. That's purely your assumption and one of the most presumptuous ones, if I may say.

Also, if to you angst is the truest emotion and the equivalent of freedom, then I feel sorry for you. I'd say the equivalent of freedom is both internal and external peace existing in combination, but, well. And I face my despair daily so, as it's not really any of your concern, I'd appreciate if you kept any such pretentious advice to anyone who's suffering, to yourself from now on. It really kind of very much makes you come across as a real asshole.
Mar 1, 2019 10:01 AM

Oct 2013
The core premise of this thread isn't even all that bad. These vague statements (that you seem to strongly stand by) are why most neglect your opinion. Stuff like this just demands a detailed opening post.

Speaking of which, I recall reading an article, not to long ago, about escapism and anime industry and how it's catering to lonely neets and hikikomoris. It mostly centers around school dramas/romcoms that are often somewhat romanticized yet relatable to a certain extent, which are making them escapist by default.

In the end it narrows down to you preference and/or personality type aka it varies from one to another.

Overall, anime/manga (for the most part) is, to a certain degree, a form of escapism. I'll partly agree that, inherently, most anime is not escapism.
Mar 1, 2019 10:38 AM

Jul 2014
holysauron said:
I think you should give up on having such a discussion with the people of AD because the amount of simpletons found here is frightening.

Anyway, to me anime is something I grew up with and can tie to my interest in Japanese culture. I know it's a very distorted view of said culture but whenever I can find something in there I can always look it up. I love learning about things I didn't know about so it's not like a punishment or something. One example I can give is Aria The Animation which is my first ever iyashikei. Before I watched it I looked up what iyashikei is and found a term called mono no aware, which basically means "the pathos of things". It's basically just knowing that everything ends or changes with time and the feeling it induces. I watched Aria to know that feeling.

Another reason why I watch anime is because they can be great thinkpieces. I'm the kind of person that just needs to ponder about things and can easily spend half an hour on thinking about something that interests me. This can be some message I got from some series (Monogatari and Medaka box are great for this) or just trying to figure out what the creators are trying to convey. This is actually the reason why I like the dementia genre so much since it gives you lots of food for thought. So I should thank you for giving me such an interesting topic to think about. It's a true breath of fresh air compared to all the bullshit I have to encounter here on a daily basis.

That is a great point about iyashikei!
Yeah thinking about series is great I seem to like many dementia series too.
Thank you for liking the topic!
I am a bit tired and that is why my response is so short.
Hope to discuss with you more!
I will take break until I regain my energy.
Mar 1, 2019 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
PrincessMeiMei said:
Safeanew said:

I don't think you are making the same point as the others.
My point is why should your life hinder you in any way more then it already does from fully enjoying fiction.
My point is also even if you think it is impossible, the only way to face that despair is through angst.

I don't know what makes you think that using anime as one of my escape routes means I can't fully enjoy it. That's purely your assumption and one of the most presumptuous ones, if I may say.

Also, if to you angst is the truest emotion and the equivalent of freedom, then I feel sorry for you. I'd say the equivalent of freedom is both internal and external peace existing in combination, but, well. And I face my despair daily so, as it's not really any of your concern, I'd appreciate if you kept any such pretentious advice to anyone who's suffering, to yourself from now on. It really kind of very much makes you come across as a real asshole.

I am not trying to be an asshole, by facing angst I got from having trouble breathing in class because I did not want to disturb the people around me to being able to go up on stage improvising infront of the school and deciding for myself what I thought was important, not what those around me said was important.
My advice is based in my own expierience of dealing with depression and angst.
While I did not suffer physical pain, I was very depressed.
I just quetsion why you have to call it an escape when it clearly can be a real part of your life and I claim it is.
Enjoying anime is not an escape, it is just enjoyment.
Mar 1, 2019 11:55 AM

Apr 2017
Safeanew said:

I am not trying to be an asshole, by facing angst I got from having trouble breathing in class because I did not want to disturb the people around me to being able to go up on stage improvising infront of the school and deciding for myself what I thought was important, not what those around me said was important.
I just quetsion why you have to call it an escape when it clearly can be a real part of your life and I claim it is.

Mindblowing concept: something that is used as an escape / relief can be a VERY real part of your life. It can be both. Imagine that.

Also...I'm sorry, but grounding yourself in a moment of anxiety to experience the present and be able to cope translates over way differently than "just face the angst and the problems will be solved". Sometimes facing the angst is just that, facing angst and continous suffering, and nothing changes at all, or only in fact changes for the worse. If you want people to understand you and relate to you, you should really think about how you express yourself.

And I'll end this with saying that advice for one person's issue can't be applied to every other issue. Everyone else isn't you and they don't think and feel like you. As such, anime can very well be an escape, it just isn't one for you.
Mar 1, 2019 12:25 PM

Feb 2017
I understand that your goal here is to confront the persons who use the concept of escapism to discredit fiction, because they think that fiction is by nature unimportant, but I find your stance too radical.
Of course there is meaning in fiction and in the act of consuming it, but people are in no way obligated to value this meaning, it isn't inherently good. In fact, in many cases, reflecting on fiction only ends up in disenchantment, which is the exact opposite of why most people consume fiction in the first place. Denying people the freedom to consider that they watch anime for escapism is both tyrannical and disconnected from reality.
Mar 1, 2019 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
For me, anime/manga can be a pleasurable pass-time, to escapism, to just a plain addiction haha.

But I mostly see it in a positive way, because anime can produce a lot of happy vibes/feels.
Mar 1, 2019 4:02 PM

Jan 2019
stop trying to be smart. its escapism, plain and simple
I'm new.

Mar 1, 2019 5:10 PM

Oct 2017
It can be escapism in MANY cases,But as a form of art can easily becomes a critic or dark/lightearted vision of reality
Mar 1, 2019 7:10 PM

May 2013
prety sure that just means that we're doomed O_O
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Mar 1, 2019 7:14 PM

May 2018
Anime is just entertainment for me. Simple as that.
Mar 1, 2019 7:16 PM

May 2008
please let this thread die, op is a troll
No one can justify life by linking happy moments into a rosary.

Mar 1, 2019 8:06 PM

Jan 2019
It really depends on what anime is to you. People have different opinions on anime itself with many people interested in different and the same genres. It is all about perception. One persons escape is another persons sanctuary. Personally anime is very special to me and is amazing in every way. All the stories you experience, all the people you meet, all the tears you shed, all the smiles you give are all relevant in making you happy. Escapism defines escaping by means of medium, so in an essence it can be. You can forget about your life and watch anime, however not everyone is the same. Anime for me is enjoyment and beauty. I watch anime, and i can apply to my personal life. It is great. It can lead you down many different paths. I will never stop watching anime, and those who do do not appreciate anime for the amazing beauty it is. Taking the time to lie down and watch one anime at a time is the real experience, not how many you can watch at a time.
To conclude, anime can be viewed as escapism the same way playing video games can be perceived as escapism. For some people this is the case, for others it is for pure enjoyment. it doesn't matter what is viewed as real or not, after all the world is so extensive that one can not truly comprehend the possibilities
Thankyou
[/img]
Mar 2, 2019 2:08 AM

Apr 2016
People who replace their life with their obsession says otherwise
Mar 2, 2019 2:44 AM

Aug 2017
I don't know.I mean,we don't know why are we here and why are we born so maybe some of us were born just to watch anime.It isn't written anywhere what we are meant to do in our life and what is wrong or good for us.There isn't just one big Truth but a lot of different opinions created by our way of seeing the world.So anime can be escapism to the people who think in life there are more important things than Anime,but also it can be somenthing important and part of their life to the people who think Anime is equal or even more important than other things.For me Anime is just an hobby and it never will be something more in my life and something special to dedicate my life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2019 4:51 AM
Mar 2019
Life in itself is escapism. The only question is weather escapism is really bad when it doesn't matter either way and escapism atleast gives you the comfortability of being narrow.
Mar 2, 2019 7:32 AM

Jan 2014
holysauron said:

Ah yes, we're all such simpleotons not like OP just had his first philosophy class and decided to share his enlightement with us.

OP here, quite frankly, is spouting nonsensical shit.
The fact that you boil it down to others being simpleotons is actually frightening but whatever.

By the way, being a simpleoton has nothing to with it, if pepole don't want to think deeper about the things they watch and just want to escape their daily lives for a couple of minutes/hours, it's completly fine and understanable but don't tell us that we're simpleotons when a person is going out of their way to sound confusing(said it himself) and make vague arguments including a lot of mental gymnastics and plain semantics, thanks.
The idea about discussions is being as clear as possible not the opposite so in fact OP actually isn't encouraging any discourse.
AstZeroMar 2, 2019 7:43 AM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Mar 2, 2019 7:43 AM
Dec 2018
Safeanew said:
one can't run away from life!

Oh yeah? Watch me. To quote the great philosopher killermemestar:
"I'm fast as fuck, boi!".
Mar 2, 2019 9:17 AM

Aug 2017
It's just another word for cartoons.
Mar 2, 2019 9:35 AM

Dec 2015
AstZero said:
holysauron said:

Ah yes, we're all such simpleotons not like OP just had his first philosophy class and decided to share his enlightement with us.

The fact that you boil it down to others being simpleotons is actually frightening but whatever.

By the way, being a simpleoton has nothing to with it, if pepole don't want to think deeper about the things they watch and just want to escape their daily lives for a couple of minutes/hours, it's completly fine and understanable but don't tell us that we're simpleotons when a person is going out of their way to sound confusing(said it himself) and make vague arguments including a lot of mental gymnastics and plain semantics, thanks.
The idea about discussions is being as clear as possible not the opposite so in fact OP actually isn't encouraging any discourse.

I'm not only talking about this thread here. The only threads that don't seem to be misunderstood are the ones that are done a million times already like "what trap is the best" or all those threads about how much they hate those self insert protagonists. As soon as there is a slightly different thread it usually goes down the drain because of the sheer stupidity you find here on a regular basis. I once made a thread about how well generally feminist ideas are executed but it ended being locked because people here automatically went like "Feminism? Me don't like feminism" while it doesn't take lots of brainpower to just read the OP. Or even better, a thread where I asked about peoples opinion on anime influenced by H.P. Lovecraft but people just started listing all the anime they think has the influence without even giving their opinion. I even changed the title on the latter to make my intentions perfectly clear but it was no use. So yeah, the general userbase on AD consists out of simpletons. I know I'm sounding arrogant here which I just hate to come off like but in this case it's the truth.

In the case of this thread I don't agree with what OP is saying and, indeed by his own admittance, he's being intentionally vague but to me it's still an interesting thread. If you don't want to put in the brainpower you can just let the thread be. Nobody said you had to answer here.
Mar 2, 2019 9:43 AM

May 2016
Anime is escapism if entertainment is escapism.

Entertainment is escapism if the lack of entertainment is suffering.

The lack of entertainment is suffering if suffering is the indefinite exposure to a state of unpleasantness.

If life as we know it involves the indefinite exposure to a state of unpleasantness, then life is suffering, from which we need to escape from through some form of entertainment, like anime.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 2, 2019 9:59 AM

Aug 2013
holysauron said:
In the case of this thread I don't agree with what OP is saying and, indeed by his own admittance, he's being intentionally vague but to me it's still an interesting thread. If you don't want to put in the brainpower you can just let the thread be. Nobody said you had to answer here.

There's really not much difference between what you call a simpleton and someone who starts threads with so vague a proposition the OP has to spend the entire thread reexplaining and contradicting himself since all he's doing is using terms he himself coined for already existing concepts (which is just an arrogant self-important pretension) and applying new meanings to terms so to fit his rambling narrative. Both of them beget the same kind of dull, pointless discussion you criticise in your reply.

I'd even say the 'simpletons' are slightly better. At least they're not trying to be pretentious sophists striving to sound clever by being unnecessarily vague while basing their entire argument in mere assumptions they have no means of providing evidence for. And worse, insisting on this nonsensical babble, more a monologue than a discussion. A person who engages in a discussion with delusions of grandeur but in reality has nothing of worth to say is no different from a simpleton.
Mar 2, 2019 10:34 AM

Jan 2014
holysauron said:
AstZero said:

I'm not only talking about this thread here. The only threads that don't seem to be misunderstood are the ones that are done a million times already like "what trap is the best" or all those threads about how much they hate those self insert protagonists. As soon as there is a slightly different thread it usually goes down the drain because of the sheer stupidity you find here on a regular basis. I once made a thread about how well generally feminist ideas are executed but it ended being locked because people here automatically went like "Feminism? Me don't like feminism" while it doesn't take lots of brainpower to just read the OP. Or even better, a thread where I asked about peoples opinion on anime influenced by H.P. Lovecraft but people just started listing all the anime they think has the influence without even giving their opinion. I even changed the title on the latter to make my intentions perfectly clear but it was no use. So yeah, the general userbase on AD consists out of simpletons. I know I'm sounding arrogant here which I just hate to come off like but in this case it's the truth.

Somebody else pointed out the irony in your response so I rest my case.

Though i will say it's funny how little thought went into your reply while you called others simpleotons while I explained why the thread is going the way it is.

Neither did you have to call others simpleotons for not giving this obviously bad thread some thought but the fact that you did and then defended it irked me so yeah.
This thread isn't different as you stated it's just plainly and simply bad with really bad argumentation.
AstZeroMar 2, 2019 10:38 AM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Mar 2, 2019 10:46 AM

Dec 2018
I’ve reported this shitpost twice now and it still ain’t locked :X

How can the mods not tell OP is obviously shitposting...
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 2, 2019 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
People now call hobbies "escapism"? But the word hobby has worked just fine all these years.
Mar 2, 2019 10:54 AM

Dec 2015
Satyr_icon said:
holysauron said:

There's really not much difference between what you call a simpleton and someone who starts threads with so vague a proposition the OP has to spend the entire thread reexplaining and contradicting himself since all he's doing is using terms he himself coined for already existing concepts (which is just an arrogant self-important pretension) and applying new meanings to terms so to fit his rambling narrative. Both of them beget the same kind of dull, pointless discussion you criticise in your reply.

I'd even say the 'simpletons' are slightly better. At least they're not trying to be pretentious sophists striving to sound clever by being unnecessarily vague while basing their entire argument in mere assumptions they have no means of providing evidence for. And worse, insisting on this nonsensical babble, more a monologue than a discussion. A person who engages in a discussion with delusions of grandeur but in reality has nothing of worth to say is no different from a simpleton.
Satyr_icon said:
holysauron said:

Is that last line about me or OP? Or maybe both?

Anyway, I for someone calling others simple I should've known better not keeping the first part of my initial post to myself. I'm not going to eat my words but think them throigj a bit better.
Mar 2, 2019 11:16 AM

Aug 2017
Hokage_Jason said:

From what I can say, this post is fine, so moderators can not remove it.
Mar 2, 2019 12:03 PM

Dec 2018
Skana said:
Hokage_Jason said:

From what I can say, this post is fine, so moderators can not remove it.

Naw trolling is against the rules, and the OP is obviously trolling. With a strong enough understanding of English vocabulary you can spot oxymorons and contradictions in not only his original post but almost every single one of his replies.

At first I thought it was possible he was just some stoned drop out who took a philosophy class or two, but 100 replies later it’s obvious he’s shit posting. And it’s working, thread is full of arguement over nothing.

No one could actually be stupid enough to contradict themselves as much as the OP has, especially with the vocabulary he’s using.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 2, 2019 10:17 PM

Aug 2018
Isn't escaping from the boring and monotonous routine life FOR A SHORT WHILE the very purpose of anime?

If someone says that watching anime is escapism because anime is not realistic, I'll not agree with him. That's because almost no other form of entertainment is any more realistic. The fact that a movie/series/song contains something that we crave for but is not available in real life is what makes it entertaining. Take the example of movie "Inception". We all know that travelling in someone else's dream is impossible and unrealistic. But the depiction of that very unrealistic thing is what makes that movie so good to watch. Of course, different people have different tastes and preferences in entertainment.

However, if someone says that anime is a means of escapism because one gets way too engrossed in it, I may agree with him on that point. But even this problem can be avoided if we stay dedicated to our work life and socially connected. "Social connection" doesn't necessarily mean going to parties and pubs. Even reading newspapers and remaining updated about what's happening around us or having casual conversations with our friends and colleagues may help and save us from the embarrassment of being labelled as a "weirdo".

The thing is that anime cannot be a means of escapism unless we allow it to become so. Remember that anime "is just a drawing" and manage your time efficiently and you're good to go!
Mar 2, 2019 10:40 PM

Oct 2018
i find anime to be alot more entertaining than pop culture or real life movies/show (most) because you can do alot more creative things with it.

Casual Anime Shitposter
Mar 2, 2019 10:55 PM
Dec 2018
Is it time for me to kick reality?

Like, who wouldn't want life to be like in a manga or anime? Doesn't matter what medium. Sure, I'm sure we wouldn't want to end up in something dystopian and apocalyptic, but I also can't say that the world as it is is majorly improving itself as it is right now. It's not the late half of the 20th Century when we thought the next millennium would have flying cars and great technology that would not just improve our lives but the human condition throughout the world. The true reality is that the sins and wrongs of the past want plenty of the instigators to pay up, and unfortunately for those claiming they don't have any part in it, they are looking for next of kin. Shit's fucked with everyone scared shitless from the Great Recession of 2008 and how everyone is beginning to realize that the excesses of the Information Age is now rearing up its consequences.

Don't get me wrong, we can't let these things go on and we have to try to attempt to fix them. At the same time, there are plenty of people who don't think there is anything wrong, those with the answers are not provided with the resources they need, and we also have people too scared to face karma and their karmic debts, including change and a need to be better.

So if anything, sometimes you just need to go away from reality, because reality isn't perfect, and despite what change we are all capable of as humans, somethings require time or to just let it learn the hard way by leaving it alone to face its own consequences.

Hell, sometimes we just have to be selfish in a time when current society has become so decadent and corrupt that we need to make our own world and stick it to those who cling to the affluence like how pompous overzealous worshippers cling to their gods sheepishly to protect them from everything life throws at them with instant miraculous answers.

There will be times when we will have to act as our own adult, as well as to take care of ourselves and to face our own life's problems at the heart of it all. Until then, enjoy your anime and manga and enjoy your life. Fuck the haters and out with the trash.
ROCK-IT-ONMar 2, 2019 11:02 PM
Mar 2, 2019 11:03 PM

Nov 2013
Of course anime is an escapism.

So is everything else in life.

We are all just trying to escape from the perpetual cycle of life and death

haha, im so edgy...

no but srs, modern objectivity is not a real thing. Just because you put two words together doesn't mean it has any meaning.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Mar 3, 2019 3:27 AM

Apr 2014
Japanese people work hard, therefore they need an escape, therefore we have a market flooded with slice of life titles because there is a demand to unwind

Anime is most definitely mostly an escape
themanualreader@proton.me
Mar 3, 2019 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
PrincessMeiMei said:
Safeanew said:

Mindblowing concept: something that is used as an escape / relief can be a VERY real part of your life. It can be both. Imagine that.

Also...I'm sorry, but grounding yourself in a moment of anxiety to experience the present and be able to cope translates over way differently than "just face the angst and the problems will be solved". Sometimes facing the angst is just that, facing angst and continous suffering, and nothing changes at all, or only in fact changes for the worse. If you want people to understand you and relate to you, you should really think about how you express yourself.

And I'll end this with saying that advice for one person's issue can't be applied to every other issue. Everyone else isn't you and they don't think and feel like you. As such, anime can very well be an escape, it just isn't one for you.

I said nothing about solving your problem, just facing it.
Well you seem to agree with me then that you have to call anime an escape for it to be an escape.
My advice is for everyone because my claim is angst is the emotion of freedom without people having to believe it.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Who had beef or fought in anime like the current drake vs kendrick lamar?

FarWalker - Yesterday

15 by FarWalker »»
11 seconds ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - 10 hours ago

32 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Do we need a 30 year old Husbando?

RedTea33 - 11 hours ago

5 by Maou_heika »»
4 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

35 by Hiru_Napyeer »»
7 minutes ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 2 hours ago

4 by deg »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.