Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until DEC 15)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
Jan 19, 2019 7:37 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
KuraikoDesu said:
"Watch an anime by a director that made one of your Favorite Anime"

Would it be possible to use Kiyotaka Oshiyama and watch Flip Flappers, which he directed, with Devilman Crybaby as one of my favorites, where he directed only 2 episodes?

Yes, it seems he did more than just directing those two episodes, so you can use him.
Jan 19, 2019 11:27 AM
Oct 2008
Does Grand Blue count as a GAR anime?
Jan 19, 2019 11:57 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Jan 19, 2019 2:47 PM

Apr 2016
Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet, but I'm not sure how to upload a screenshot into my signup post. I have the picture, just unsure of how to get it all in there.
Jan 19, 2019 3:41 PM

May 2016
puppyluver said:
Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet, but I'm not sure how to upload a screenshot into my signup post. I have the picture, just unsure of how to get it all in there.

Upload it to imgur and then paste the link in your post.
Jan 19, 2019 4:01 PM

Nov 2015
riyuurin said:
riyuurin said:

Thank you so much for all the help! ! !
Hi again... Can I use Recorder to Randoseru Do♪ for the 'Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is as a human child' challenge. He is 11 but looks older. Does it qualify?

Is 91 Days okay for (N.26) Watch an anime with a full English title ?
Jan 19, 2019 4:06 PM

May 2017
riyuurin said:
riyuurin said:
Hi again... Can I use Recorder to Randoseru Do♪ for the 'Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is as a human child' challenge. He is 11 but looks older. Does it qualify?

It should be fine; it states that he's a fifth grader and that he acts his true age so his appearance shouldn't matter.

I could be wrong, but I think that one is invalid because of the number. Someone please give a second opinion on this!
Jan 19, 2019 4:13 PM

Apr 2016
Shadow_Reaper13 said:
puppyluver said:

Wow that's really helpful. Thanks.
Jan 19, 2019 4:32 PM
Oct 2017
Shadow_Reaper13 said:
puppyluver said:

And after that I think this will work
[spoiler*][img*]<INSERT LINK>[/img*][/spoiler*]
Remove the * of course
Jan 19, 2019 4:55 PM

Oct 2008
Hey, so, I'm pretty sure I've got the right idea, but for #17 on Novice,

"Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field — state the character and profession; they get paid for their services, like a chef, detective, artist and so on."

Wouldn't 3-Gatsu no Lion work?
Since Rei is a professional shogi player, and gets paid for it.
I haven't watched it but the summary says he's only 17 so he's probably still a student, too; so I'm a bit confused.

(I just really wanted to work 3-gatsu into my list lol)
Jan 19, 2019 5:00 PM

Jan 2011
Aeradae said:
riyuurin said:

I could be wrong, but I think that one is invalid because of the number. Someone please give a second opinion on this!

91 Days is fine because the stipulation says that title cannot be solely a number (like this for example). It does not exclude titles from having numbers in general. So second seasons like https://myanimelist.net/anime/34134/One_Punch_Man_Season_2 are valid as well.

GEEKalea said:

"Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field — state the character and profession; they get paid for their services, like a chef, detective, artist and so on."

I haven't watched it but the summary says he's only 17 so he's probably still a student, too; so I'm a bit confused.

Yes that anime qualifies. Rei's shogi salary pays for his apartment, the anime will mention the apartment situation and how he, an underage student, was able to obtain it. Rei is 100% financially independent thanks to shogi.
lanbladeJan 19, 2019 5:10 PM
Jan 19, 2019 5:16 PM

Oct 2008
GEEKalea said:

Yes that anime qualifies. Rei's shogi salary pays for his apartment, the anime will mention the apartment situation and how he, an underage student, was able to obtain it. Rei is 100% financially independent thanks to shogi.

Thanks! Though I just realized I could have easily used it for the next one, No. 18, the Pg-13 show instead, haha!
Jan 19, 2019 5:59 PM

Aug 2017
(Ap.19) Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are adults

so say that there’s six main characters and three are adults... would that count?

Jan 19, 2019 6:19 PM

May 2009
periwinxle said:
(Ap.19) Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are adults

so say that there’s six main characters and three are adults... would that count?

since it says "more than half", I think it would need to be at least 4
or at least thats how I interpret it
I'm not staff so you should wait for an official answer
Jan 19, 2019 6:25 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Not sure whether I can drop random recommendations here, but
I believe that the Miss Monochrome series (1, 2, & 3) could work for (N.02) Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less
Jan 19, 2019 8:18 PM

Jul 2011
What does "lower than" a certain number in popularity mean?
In the novice challenge, there is one that says to watch an anime that is lower than 700 in popularity. Does this mean a lower number (01-699), which means more popular? Or does it mean lower as in lower popularity (701+)?
Jan 19, 2019 8:23 PM

May 2009
NixKaen said:
What does "lower than" a certain number in popularity mean?
In the novice challenge, there is one that says to watch an anime that is lower than 700 in popularity. Does this mean a lower number (01-699), which means more popular? Or does it mean lower as in lower popularity (701+)?

requirement explanation
Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and a popularity lower than #700 — state the popularity it had when you finished; placed in popularity as #701, #702, #703 and so on

it is 'lower than' as in 'less popular'
so naturally, an anime less popular than #700 is 701, 702 etc
Jan 19, 2019 8:32 PM

Jul 2011
Is Reigen from Mob Psycho 100 series considered a professional?
He gets paid for his services but is also considered a conman to some.
Jan 19, 2019 9:28 PM

Jul 2009
Can someone recommend me something for this? Preferably something SoL or romance. Something that's not too much longer than 10 episodes, please:
Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less

Also, question. Am I allowed to use shows that are currently airing for challenges? For example, I want to use Dororo for this:
Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or above 8.00

The score right now is 8.36, and I don't really see it dropping below 8.00 because of all the hype around it. I have other shows I could put there if necessary if the score drops significantly. But I'm just curious to know if I can use an airing one, especially for a challenge where the show's score is crucial.
Jan 19, 2019 9:46 PM
Oct 2017
Talim said:
Can someone recommend me something for this? Preferably something SoL or romance. Something that's not too much longer than 10 episodes, please:

Also, question. Am I allowed to use shows that are currently airing for challenges? For example, I want to use Dororo for this:
Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or above 8.00

The score right now is 8.36, and I don't really see it dropping below 8.00 because of all the hype around it. I have other shows I could put there if necessary if the score drops significantly. But I'm just curious to know if I can use an airing one, especially for a challenge where the show's score is crucial.

Well using currently airing ones means you can't move on past Novice until it finishes airing, so you probably shouldn't use Dororo for it. But I'm pretty sure you can, as long as it doesn't drop.
Jan 19, 2019 9:49 PM

Jul 2009
AC9123 said:
Talim said:

Well using currently airing ones means you can't move on past Novice until it finishes airing, so you probably shouldn't use Dororo for it. But I'm pretty sure you can, as long as it doesn't drop.

Oh I know, but I'm not planning to go past Novice for this challenge anyway. Gunna be too busy this year probably. So that's not the issue for me. I was more just worried about the score possibly dropping. Like, if at any point the score drops below 8.00, will it not count? Or does it just matter what the score is once it's finished airing?
Jan 19, 2019 10:28 PM

Jan 2011
NixKaen said:
Is Reigen from Mob Psycho 100 series considered a professional?
He gets paid for his services but is also considered a conman to some.

While Reigen is sketchy as heck, he does operate a business. He rents out an office from an office park building. Those things are not cheap to rent so he has to make money somehow. And we do see him speak to customers outside of our main group. That means people are paying him for these services. No different than a fortune teller or a feng shui consultant. People want a piece of mind and there are people who can give it to them.
Jan 19, 2019 10:42 PM

Jul 2011
Talim said:

I recommend Love is Like a Cocktail. It's romance and SoL. 13 eps, and 3mins per ep.
Jan 19, 2019 11:41 PM

Jul 2009
NixKaen said:
Talim said:

I recommend Love is Like a Cocktail. It's romance and SoL. 13 eps, and 3mins per ep.

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Jan 20, 2019 1:11 AM

Jun 2014
Hi,

Can somebody from the staff recommend me something for this item? (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member

1 cour max please and if possible I'd prefer something to help emptying my PTW list
Jan 20, 2019 1:40 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
protoplasm said:
periwinxle said:

since it says "more than half", I think it would need to be at least 4
or at least thats how I interpret it
I'm not staff so you should wait for an official answer

@periwinxle Yes, it should be 4 main characters out of 6.

Dysp said:
Hi,

Can somebody from the staff recommend me something for this item? (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member

1 cour max please and if possible I'd prefer something to help emptying my PTW list

Acchi Kocchi (TV)
Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai
Jan 20, 2019 2:31 AM

Jun 2014
Alright thanks, I'll go with the shaft one then

I have another question: for this item (I.04) Watch an anime from your least favorite studio by weighted score on Anime+.
Everything listed as studio in the Anime+ ranking maps with entries on MAL for both studios AND producers. Can I filter producers out to only get studios?

Edit: My bad, entries can appear as both studios and producers, will have to watch bad hentai then
DyspJan 20, 2019 2:35 AM
Jan 20, 2019 3:21 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Dysp said:

I have another question: for this item (I.04) Watch an anime from your least favorite studio by weighted score on Anime+.
Everything listed as studio in the Anime+ ranking maps with entries on MAL for both studios AND producers. Can I filter producers out to only get studios?

Edit: My bad, entries can appear as both studios and producers, will have to watch bad hentai then

What studio do you have?

(char limit)
Jan 20, 2019 3:28 AM

May 2015
(N.05) Watch a listed noitaminA or YATP series
[Theme: ]

I've just watched Koi wa Ameagari no you ni. What should I write in theme section?
My english isn't very good but I think we can cooperate.
Invite if you'd like to meet me a little bit closer
From time to time leave your message in comment ☻

There are walls that can't be broken by power alone.
But if there is a power that can break though those walls,
it's a power of feelings.
~ Mavis

There are people in this world who prefer solitude.
But there is no one who can withstand it.
~ Makarov

Jan 20, 2019 3:32 AM

Jun 2014
Yuki-Chan276 said:
Dysp said:

What studio do you have?

(char limit)

I got Magic Bus but that's fine as it's listed as studio for the entries on my list (Skirt no naka, Cypher...) and I already downloaded Taimanin Yukikaze for this item
Jan 20, 2019 3:33 AM

Jun 2014
DeTry said:

I've just watched Koi wa Ameagari no you ni. What should I write in theme section?

This one goes with the noitaminA theme
Jan 20, 2019 3:59 AM

May 2015
Dysp said:
DeTry said:

Thanks!

(N.06) Watch an anime by a director that made one of your Favorite Anime
If one of my favourite anime is bleach, and the director also directed movie as well, can i watch the movie and have this challange accepted?
My english isn't very good but I think we can cooperate.
Invite if you'd like to meet me a little bit closer
From time to time leave your message in comment ☻

There are walls that can't be broken by power alone.
But if there is a power that can break though those walls,
it's a power of feelings.
~ Mavis

There are people in this world who prefer solitude.
But there is no one who can withstand it.
~ Makarov

Jan 20, 2019 6:15 AM

Mar 2013
hello everyone. i have a question if anyone can help me. In the sign up form, there's a 'completed anime (at sign-up)' that needs to be filled. Now which number should i write? The number of completed anime at the moment of posting or the number of completed anime on the day i picked the challenge up? I appreciate any help on this matter as i can't sign up otherwise :(
Jan 20, 2019 6:40 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
DeTry said:
Dysp said:

Thanks!

(N.06) Watch an anime by a director that made one of your Favorite Anime
If one of my favourite anime is bleach, and the director also directed movie as well, can i watch the movie and have this challange accepted?

Yes, you can but it does defeat the purpose a bit xD

ninetailedfoxie said:
hello everyone. i have a question if anyone can help me. In the sign up form, there's a 'completed anime (at sign-up)' that needs to be filled. Now which number should i write? The number of completed anime at the moment of posting or the number of completed anime on the day i picked the challenge up? I appreciate any help on this matter as i can't sign up otherwise :(

The moment you posted basically, but it doesn't matter if it's a few off. Just don't count the ones you have seen for this challenge.
Jan 20, 2019 7:59 AM
Oct 2017
One question, why is this challenge so hard to understand ? After 30 minutes I have no idea of what even this is about...
Jan 20, 2019 8:32 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
ParagonCZ said:
One question, why is this challenge so hard to understand ? After 30 minutes I have no idea of what even this is about...

Because the participants caused the moderation team too much trouble, I'd say.
So it's been altered to be more like a RPG game to make up for that.

Not sure if you know the Mafia City memes but it's somewhat like that.
You start on the basic level and have to complete a certain amount of achievements before you're allowed to move on to the next level. Which means you have to start and complete 20 out of 31 total anime entries before the next batch unlocks.

Once you've watched 20 required anime, you can move onto the next level, which requires you to start and complete 20 out of 37 total achievements (anime) of that level before you can move on to the next.

So on and so forth.
Jan 20, 2019 9:44 AM

Jan 2017
Discord server released for stuff challenge related. Feel free to join
Jan 20, 2019 9:50 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
stepikku said:
I made a simple set of banners if anyone wants to use them. @AWC_Mod

Thanks! I will be adding them, but due to dimensions they aren't usable in the signature area. Note will be added

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 20, 2019 10:26 AM

Mar 2013
@Yuki-Chan276

Sweet, thank you very much :D
Finally posted the sing up post haha xD
Jan 20, 2019 11:41 AM
Oct 2017
Wait, we're supposed to use screenshots as evidence ? what screenshots are we talking about ?
Jan 20, 2019 11:51 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
LordRukario said:
For I.15 Watch an anime with a non-humanoid main character — state the character; can't have physical resemblance to humans (like human hands); e.g. Pikachu, Totoro, Kyuubey, Sakamoto and Monokuma are valid; Piccolo and Ryuk would be invalid; excludes humans/animals/etc that transform into the other (like Arima, Ahiru):

How would this work for characters that might be considered more human-like (but not necessarily humanoid), such as Lucario and Renamon? (Fortunately Jynx isn't a main character.)
Also, the transforming exclusion - would it apply to, say, Patamon and Gatomon (who digivolve into the distinctively-more-humanoid Angemon and Angewomon)?

Those would be counted on a case by case scenario. They will be either approved or rejected after either I decide on it (after doing research on their pics) or after the team votes on it. Tho I rather you avoid such ambiguous things.

Please don't double post, just edit your last reply
@Rimzyy
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1760533&show=550#msg56739462
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1760533&show=550#msg56739479

@Dysp
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1760533&show=600#msg56762057
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1760533&show=600#msg56762060

Talim said:
Oh I know, but I'm not planning to go past Novice for this challenge anyway. Gunna be too busy this year probably. So that's not the issue for me. I was more just worried about the score possibly dropping. Like, if at any point the score drops below 8.00, will it not count? Or does it just matter what the score is once it's finished airing?

You only need for it to have a valid score once you turn in. If before that it drops, you will have to change it.

Yuki-Chan276 said:
ninetailedfoxie said:
The moment you posted basically, but it doesn't matter if it's a few off. Just don't count the ones you have seen for this challenge.

@ninetailedfoxie just clarifying. You only need the completed anime count you had the moment you posted your sign up form. It doesn't matter what you completed this year nor for the challenge.

ParagonCZ said:
Wait, we're supposed to use screenshots as evidence ? what screenshots are we talking about ?

They are suggested for items that are bound to change during the year and/or after you complete them. Same for those that you are the only one that can see that info.
I suggest reading the explanation list if you haven't done so.

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 20, 2019 5:10 PM

May 2017
@SheyCroix I know this was done already, but I've created a slightly different spreadsheet for the anime watching challenge if anyone would like to use it:

Blog Link
Jan 21, 2019 4:56 AM

Apr 2009
Hello! For the forms in the challenge, should I keep the order as-is in each section, or is it ok if it ends up scrambled (I'd like to move my completed/started shows to be first before the empty/planned ones)?

-----
And a second question. Can I use one of the Kara no Kyoukai entries for "watch an anime where a main character is a professional in their field" for this character, as a puppet maker?
https://myanimelist.net/character/5266/Touko_Aozaki
In Kara no Kyoukai, she is shown as a puppet maker and occasionally as a designer of buildings. Together with Kokutou Mikiya, she runs a kind of detective agency (伽藍の洞, Garan no Dou) that only engages in cases with supernatural or abnormal elements.

If not (the woman's activities are... all over the place and I'm not sure where she gets funds aside from the occasional purchase of one of her puppets), how about same film series with this character, as a detective/private investigator working for the above person?
https://myanimelist.net/character/5267/Mikiya_Kokutou
With his hopes of attending college with Shiki crushed because of her coma, he drops out of college to work under Touko as an assistant investigator.

Obviously if either is valid, it would be for the films in which they are indeed working as what the above says (so not like film 2 where one is absent and the other is in highschool).

-----
EDIT2: let's go more meta here. Can I watch this special, for "watch an anime where a main character is a professional in their field"? Both characters are listed as main for the special, so if either would work, would this series be valid for the challenge?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/23697/Kara_no_Kyoukai__Manner_Movies
RulenneClarissaJan 21, 2019 6:48 AM
Jan 21, 2019 8:02 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
RulenneClarissa said:
Hello! For the forms in the challenge, should I keep the order as-is in each section, or is it ok if it ends up scrambled (I'd like to move my completed/started shows to be first before the empty/planned ones)?

-----
And a second question. Can I use one of the Kara no Kyoukai entries for "watch an anime where a main character is a professional in their field" for this character, as a puppet maker?
https://myanimelist.net/character/5266/Touko_Aozaki
In Kara no Kyoukai, she is shown as a puppet maker and occasionally as a designer of buildings. Together with Kokutou Mikiya, she runs a kind of detective agency (伽藍の洞, Garan no Dou) that only engages in cases with supernatural or abnormal elements.

If not (the woman's activities are... all over the place and I'm not sure where she gets funds aside from the occasional purchase of one of her puppets), how about same film series with this character, as a detective/private investigator working for the above person?
https://myanimelist.net/character/5267/Mikiya_Kokutou
With his hopes of attending college with Shiki crushed because of her coma, he drops out of college to work under Touko as an assistant investigator.

Obviously if either is valid, it would be for the films in which they are indeed working as what the above says (so not like film 2 where one is absent and the other is in highschool).

-----
EDIT2: let's go more meta here. Can I watch this special, for "watch an anime where a main character is a professional in their field"? Both characters are listed as main for the special, so if either would work, would this series be valid for the challenge?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/23697/Kara_no_Kyoukai__Manner_Movies

Please keep the order as is, since you'll be asked to change it if it's not.

Either seems valid.
You can use the special, but it would defeat the purpose of the item.
Jan 21, 2019 9:10 AM

May 2009
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Either seems valid.

Everyone knows that unless stated we are allowed to use whatever format we want. First, it was with rewatches which defeated the purpose - which I completely understand, because we are motivated to watch NEW things. But now even formats 'defeat the purpose'? That item doesn't ask for a specific format, so there's no other purpose but to watch something with a character in a profession in it.
deimoscodeJan 21, 2019 9:13 AM
Jan 21, 2019 9:22 AM

Jun 2016
Hey~~~

I can use Murder Princess for (Ap.01) Watch a stand-alone OVA..Right??

Jan 21, 2019 9:40 AM

Jan 2017
[re-post]

Discord server released for challenge related stuff. Feel free to join.

Jan 21, 2019 9:53 AM

May 2017
L0ro said:
Hey~~~

The description for that one says "stand-alone refers to no related anime; if it has an adaptation listed that's okay" so yes, that works.
Jan 21, 2019 9:53 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
L0ro said:
Hey~~~

Yes, you can

protoplasm said:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Either seems valid.

Everyone knows that unless stated we are allowed to use whatever format we want. First, it was with rewatches which defeated the purpose - which I completely understand, because we are motivated to watch NEW things. But now even formats 'defeat the purpose'? That item doesn't ask for a specific format, so there's no other purpose but to watch something with a character in a profession in it.

Unless I'm reading something wrong there, I don't think Yuki was referring to the format when saying it would defeat the purpose of the challenge. It was meant to the use of such a short entry. Format here refers more to how the list and items are worked and presented. Considering you are talking about the format in duration, yes. You are free to use whatever regardless of the duration.

Aeradae said:
@SheyCroix I know this was done already, but I've created a slightly different spreadsheet for the anime watching challenge if anyone would like to use it:

Blog Link

that's alright. I will look over it and add after.

Talim said:
@AWC_mod @Sheycroix Here are some banners I'd like to donate. :)

thanks!! they were added~
SheyCroixJan 21, 2019 9:57 AM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

24 by L0bsterman »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
5 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
10 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.