Forum Settings
Forums

The 90 second anime OP/ED is about to be killed off by Netflix.

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 14, 2018 8:33 AM

May 2015
TsukuyomiREKT said:
zal said:
Yeah... watching way less anime now but some people like shit, who are we to judge their taste? :)

Hi but
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/FxXMYXJyeB3rO/giphy.gif[/img*]

That requires effort so better if it's not there to begin with, not only it's useless but sometimes even counterproductive as it spoils stuff from episodes not yet aired.

However I find interesting how a way for the studios to save money by recycling animation has become something people want to defend XD

I'd say that most people aren't as cynical as you when it comes to this. I've never seen someone who legitimately thinks of OPs and EDs that way till now.
If you say that they aren't useless: what is their value?
Because I am certainly not watching anime because of OP/ED, if I want some music with animation I go watch some AMV on youtube
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2018 8:43 AM

May 2015
zal said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

I'd say that most people aren't as cynical as you when it comes to this. I've never seen someone who legitimately thinks of OPs and EDs that way till now.
Because I am certainly not watching anime because of OP/ED, if I want some music with animation I go watch some AMV on youtube

They're a good way to start and end an episode, and I enjoy watching/listening to them. Does there need to be anything beyond that?

Sep 14, 2018 8:44 AM

Aug 2017
My heart bleeds for the people who can't be bothered to skip the openings and genuinely want them gone
Sep 14, 2018 8:46 AM

May 2015
TsukuyomiREKT said:
zal said:

They're a good way to start and end an episode, and I enjoy watching/listening to them. Does there need to be anything beyond that?
Is it really or you just got used to it and now are afraid of change?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2018 8:47 AM

Feb 2015
Can we all agree that Netflix should just have stayed on its business apart from Anime industry? But then again, the frames going towards OP/ED which I presumes goes towards "more indepth content for better story progression" literally won't make a difference right?
Sep 14, 2018 8:50 AM

May 2015
_Ako_ said:
Can we all agree that Netflix should just have stayed on its business apart from Anime industry?
I believe in free market so I disagree.
Sep 14, 2018 8:53 AM

May 2015
zal said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Is it really or you just got used to it and now are afraid of change?

Yeah, I'm being 100% serious. I usually skip EDs myself unless I REALLY like the song. But for OPs, I only skip it if I think the song is REALLY bad, which has only happened a handful of times. When I watched HxH 2011 for example, even though it's the same two halves of one song, and even though there's 148 episodes, I never skipped the OP. Not a single time.

Sep 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Feb 2016
Guys, I know this might sound crazy, but just here me out....

Don't watch anime on Netflix.
Sep 14, 2018 8:57 AM

Jun 2016
I dont use netflix so i dont really care. However, i find the decision dumb since a big part of anime watchers likes to see the openings and endings themes of the anime they're seeing in the actual episodes.
Sep 14, 2018 8:58 AM

May 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:

I don't think most people that even visit MAL are the target audience of Netflix anyway.
Sep 14, 2018 9:10 AM

Feb 2016
Eh. Doesn't really bother me.

Shortening the opening/ending makes it just sound like US TV Airings. (Toonami for example. Being 30-40 seconds instead of 90)

I'd rather they just make some easy skip option for people binge watching versus shortening them though.

As for splicing them off entirely, ehhh... not really fond of that. At least leave it for the first episode and splice it off the rest. (Excluding New OP/ED Introductions. Show each one once) So that people will know the OP/ED exist rather than being unaware to it because you spliced it off.

Tomita further predicted that songs that would have once have been planned to be opening or ending themes will be used as insert songs instead. Usually, the purpose of an opening or ending theme is to play every episode and become an “iconic” part of the series, but with the Netflix model it makes more sense to play these songs during key scenes of the anime instead.

Okay, that though, no, pls... don't freaking change the representation of the episode by messing with its BGM ~_~

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Sep 14, 2018 9:40 AM

Feb 2016
zal said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

I don't think most people that even visit MAL are the target audience of Netflix anyway.
Majority of people on MAL either illegally stream or illegally torrent, even if they subscribe to Netflix. Not sure why people are making this out to be such a big deal. Netflix isn't exactly a huge provider of anime at the moment.
Sep 14, 2018 9:51 AM

Feb 2010
Daemon said:
Pullman said:
The issue is not even having some downtime or not tho, but that it's not my choice when to stop and reflect, it's the show forcing me to do it when the show decides and that's kind of the issue.

It's not really a problem though, especially if you're watching on Netflix. You can very easily just scrub past the opening or ending, which takes like three seconds to do. In fact, Netflix does that for you automatically. There's absolutely no reason why the opening needs to be shortened or eliminated. That's removing an entire 90 seconds of enjoyment for some people just to save a couple seconds for others (actually it doesn't even benefit people who don't like OPs, because like I said, Netflix can skip those automatically).

Sure, on Netflix, but this is more about streaming or anime production in general. It's just a principles thing. If the long OPs did not exist and people were emotionally attached to them nobody would ask for it because it's just not necessary. The only reason people are attached to them is because they are used to them and nobody likes change.

And from a production point of view, why pay for something that most people will skip most of the time? It's a waste of money and I doubt anyone will watch an anime for only the OP so it's not even a real risk of losing viewers, just being more efficient with the production. So I understand why Netflix doesn't really see the upside.

Botan-Chan45 said:
Pullman said:
Lmao. really grasping at straws to shit on netflix, huh?

So would I rather have a generic jpop song that sounds like every other one with animation that repeats itself every ep or would I want anime creators to have a great budget and all the creative freedom they'd want like Netflix provides? Hmmmm.....

I'm sure that half a generic pop-song is what is objectively best for anime as a visual and storytelling medium. It's not just OPs personal weeb preferences and irrationally angsty relationship to anything western, especially Netflix, that makes him come to the very reasonable conclusion that anime is RUINED by shortening (not even removing) OPs that only fundamentally so long because it saves time and budget and effort in the creation of every episode.
netflix is shit tho. Nobody uses it for anime and they barely contribute to like 2 studios. Pirating sites have a better model than netflix.

Sorry but what garbage are you spouting? Pirating sites who steal the work of other people and then make money off of that illegally have a better business model than literally nothing. It's bottom of the barrel scumminess that these pirating sites live off.

And Netflix is pouring a shitton of money into the industry and have a lot more shows in production. And they pay more per show/episode than any TV anime could dream of, so with 30 shows they're making this year, it's probably 50 shows worth of money or more that they are investing in the industry. That is like 25% of what airs in a year in terms of relevant seasonals.

You can find interviews with creators and industry members who generally are very happy to work with Netflix because of the much bigger budgets, less time constraints and more creative freedom. The only people who keep whining are some westerners like you and OP who irrationally demonize Netflix without really knowing what they are talking about.

You have no arguments, you just say it's shit and then spout some alternate facts, irrelevant half-truths and stuff you made up and show that you have no sense of morality or care for people who put in work for anime because you glorify the scummiest business model in the industry, the illegal streaming sites. Sorry if I can't take you seriously like that.

Botan-Chan45 said:
Turtles_Hunter said:
You look like stupid and pathetic anime weeaboos that just shit on thing because those damn westerners dared to touch at your precious anime. Most anime OP/ED are not that good, and they don't change the quality of a show. Maybe we will miss a few good one, but seriously complaining for that. You really should go back playing with your shovel and bucket.
I didn't know weebs are anime. Guys i think we are animated people. (As if you have space to call people weeaboos you loser)

can you not read? saying you are anime weebs just means who are weebs with a main focus on anime. Don't embarass yourself by not being able to understand such a basic sentence.

Botan-Chan45 said:
Netflix will only effect like 2 studios so this isnt a problem. Even tho they say they are important, they only give money to studios that are already elite and not supporting any small companies that actually need the budget. Also binge watching is for losers who have no life and use their moms credit cards

Just because you repeat your blatant lies doesn't make them anymore true. Netflix has invested in the following studios already:

Science Saru (Devilman Crybaby) - Very new studio at the time, far from elite or established, it's basically a new studio and Netflix money most likely helped them establish themselves in the first place.

Polygon Pictures (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia, Blame) - also far from an 'elite' studio since it is 3cdgi only.

KyoAni (Violet Evergarden) - okay they might count as an elite studio, but even so what is the big deal?

Fanworks (Aggretsuko) - small studio, you might not even know it since they only do shorts. Far from elite or not needing the money.

Production IG (B: The Beginning, Sword Gai) - another established studio, arguable what you'd call 'elite', but again, so what? They also need financiers.

Bones (AICO) - same

JC Staff (Children fo the Whales)

Shaft (Last Encore)

That's already WAY more than 2, and I'm not gonna go through all their other Netflix exclusives. I think it's already pretty obvious you're full of shit when you say they only put money into 2 'elite' studios. Of course more investments will go towards established studios, that's not different from Japan, but just in terms of their original productions they already have been investing in 3 studios that are far from that, in Fanworks, Science Saru and Polygon Pictures, not to mention the variety of exclusives they invested in on top of that, or the titles that are still in production.

btw nice generalized 'insult' that you pulled out of your ass there at the end. Now everyone can see you possess the intelligence and maturity of a 12yo. Thanks for making it so hard to take you serious all by your own, just by being your immature, lying self. That way your blatant lies and misinformation won't really be effective in bringing people over to your anti-netflix agenda even if I can't always go out of my way to correct you when you spout bs. Anybody who takes you seriously in any way after seeing that display of immaturity and misinformation, only has themselves to blame.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 14, 2018 10:01 AM

Nov 2017
I hate this. I have to stop the next episode from transitioning and go back and ffwd to watch the ending theme every time for b: the beginning. It's getting old, Netflix. I just thought it was an incorrect timing cue with their ep transition. To think that it might be purposeful is shameful.

It raises a larger cultural question about Americans. Music is important, it's not some trash to be skipped, it's a major part of the show. An anime without ops/eds is not an anime. It's trash. Urusei Yatsura began the tradition of pop music in op eds, but even 70s shows had great songs, like Cutey Honey. It's a tradition and it's a big reason I ever liked anime in the first place. The ed for b: the beginning is great anyways! Why would you skip it? It's awesome! (You paid money for it!)

Netflix is trying to get rid of reviews on their site, they got rid of review counters for content on streaming. You cannot take the individual out of your platform, Netflix. The individual is the major and ONLY part of your platform. You cannot force me to watch more stuff by hurtling me into the next episode. I simply stop the transition and rwd or ffwd every time, it's a major annoyance.
Sep 14, 2018 10:07 AM
Oct 2013
About fucking time they put some work into the actual animation instead of cutting corners within the show but going all out on a repeatible OP/ED no one in their right mind should give a fuck about.
Sep 14, 2018 10:12 AM

Feb 2010
DarkInsomnia57 said:
An anime without ops/eds is not an anime. It's trash.

Lmao. So you don't care about the 20 minutes of actual anime but only the OP? Since that is the only thing defining whether it is 'trash' or something you love? Good to know, tho that is so incredibly unreasonable and irrational that I think you're in the vast, vast minority with thinking that only OPs prevent anime from being 'trash'. Just sounds like you don't like anime, but just animated music videos tbh if you care so much more about that part than about the actual anime. To each their own, but you can't expect anime to cater to such a weird preference. The OP was always just decoration at best, not the main appeal. If for you it's the other way round, that's kind of your personal issue.
Sep 14, 2018 10:14 AM

Jan 2016
Welp. There goes my main source of music. Thanks, Netflix!
Sep 14, 2018 10:19 AM

Oct 2014
Sounds like a good plan to me. I hate having to skip through OPs every episode.
Sep 14, 2018 10:24 AM

Nov 2017
Pullman said:
DarkInsomnia57 said:

Lmao. So you don't care about the 20 minutes of actual anime but only the OP? Since that is the only thing defining whether it is 'trash' or something you love? Good to know, tho that is so incredibly unreasonable and irrational that I think you're in the vast, vast minority with thinking that only OPs prevent anime from being 'trash'. Just sounds like you don't like anime, but just animated music videos tbh if you care so much more about that part than about the actual anime. To each their own, but you can't expect anime to cater to such a weird preference. The OP was always just decoration at best, not the main appeal. If for you it's the other way round, that's kind of your personal issue.

It honestly doesn't sound like you enjoy anime. Might as well go back to daytime dramas like All My Children or something.

Sorry about that, fam.
Sep 14, 2018 10:24 AM

Jan 2013
Pullman said:
DarkInsomnia57 said:

Really?
That's the conclusion you've come to just from those two sentences?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 14, 2018 10:36 AM

Feb 2010
DarkInsomnia57 said:
Pullman said:

It honestly doesn't sound like you enjoy anime. Might as well go back to daytime dramas like All My Children or something.

Sorry about that, fam.

Nice... sentence? Maybe next time try to say something that actually related to the post you reply to tho, otherwise it's not really communication it's just the equivalent of a homeless man shouting random phrases at passerbys.

Nothing I said even remotely implies that I don't like anime or, so yeah. Just the confused ramblings of someone who doesn't know what else to say. It's not me who says that no matter how good an anime is, without an OP it's just 'trash'. That's you. I actually care about the anime part of the anime more than about the OP because, yes, I do like anime. That's why my opinion of an anime doesn't stand or fall with the existence of an OP, but based on the actual contents of the anime. Though it does not seem you can understand even such a simple concept so I'm probably wasting my time trying to explain it.

Cabron said:
Pullman said:

Really?
That's the conclusion you've come to just from those two sentences?

I mean yeah, they literally said that having an OP is what makes anime not trash. If that is truly what they think, they cannot care about the 20 minutes of anime very much since no matter that they show, if there is no OP the anime is trash. Not sure how else to understand such a blatant, generalizing statement? Why am I the weird one here for finding that statement to be pretty absurd?
Sep 14, 2018 10:38 AM
Oct 2016
I think the prediction is wrong for a few reasons.

Firstly - Netflix doesn't have time constraints and they have leaned into this fact. Their original programming is allowed to run over/under standard block times - an example of this is house of cards or Stranger Things - where episode length is variable. Them setting up to skip the OP/ED's "mid-season" is not the same of them axing the OPs/EDs. I think it's just a case of them structuring the delivery of content for the platform - one that has made it's identity on the idea of binging.

Secondly - a 90 second OP is generally a single 90 second OP reused for the entire season so the amount of work going into it (ignoring the fact that most OP's have more effort put into them than the program episodes proper) is spread out over the number of episodes.

Third - OP's and EDs in anime have a cultural (anime culture) identity that even casual anime watchers understand to some extent. I skip 95% of OPs/EDs when I watch anime. I watch them once for whatever series then never bother again. Why? Because it's a waste of time and redundant. (unless the endless 8 was your jam). Even though I skip them I don't begrudge the fans and discussions about OP's/EDs etc. I just am not going to throw away 18 minutes (90 seconds x 12) while binging a season. That's one full extra episode I can get through with my time. I'm sure Netflix would take the same stance and not fight to remove an OP/ED from the first/last episode. I think what's going on is that they are just axing them from the "middle" epsiodes for the platform so you can watch show to show.

The article and this thread feels like a "sky is falling" type of claim. It's silly. Even Netflix's own programming has OPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RcPZdihrp4

And what benefit would netflix get out of "forcing" Anime show runners to cut OP's/EDs ? Piss people off? because they don't need the "time", that's for sure.

Hate on Netflix all you want (I don't have any allegiance to them personally) - but don't hate on them for this because it's honestly a really silly claim.

Edit-

One other thing. Anime has little bit of a bad habit of using OP/ED/s + recaps + previews + other BS in order to do the bare minimum, not all, but enough that I notice. OP/ED is fine, usually fixed length. OK, well then you have the previous episode's recap either before or immediately after the OP. (sometimes both). Then you finally start the "new content" possibly as late as 3-4 minutes into the show. Then you have the ED, then a preview/voiceover of the next episode, and it resets. Meanwhile the actual new content is just power point stills with voice over and panning shots. Less "animation" and more "screen saver background" - Not all, but enough.

Removing OP/EDs from middle episodes would reveal the rest of the cheats more acutely and might change standards in story telling for some of the anime out there (I keep getting lectured on how Anime Budget has nothing to do with how shit animation and story structure in a series is - lets see).
HamakamiSep 14, 2018 10:49 AM
Sep 14, 2018 11:08 AM

Nov 2017
Pullman, you're the one generalizing and not making an actual statement or argument. No one here ever said they hated 20 minutes of anime. (When I say "Trash" and stuff, I'm only being half serious, but humor is subjective. It's a cynical comment, but let me explain) But music is what made me genuinely love anime in the first place. The ops and eds are addictive crack for me and I love them to pieces. I feel like at this point, music is half of what anime is for me. So for me, anime without the music is trash not worth watching, it's 50% of the product. I made no comment on the content of anime besides the music, your statement isn't honest. You're cherry picking and decontextualizing.

I suppose what I am trying to say is, after watching anime for so long, the ops and eds are anime, one cannot dissociate them from the actual product. The songs from Japan are so good, they're a big reason I tune into a show. Something like Witchhunter Robin, the op and ed always got me pumped about the next episode. Ops and eds are what distinguish anime for me, they are what makes it different from American stuff. Sure, the 20 minute actual content is superlative, but without the emphasis on songs, I don't know if I would enjoy anime as much as I do. It would just be a cartoon at that point.

How do I explain the psychological benefit and boost I get from that music? Sure, there's the soundtrack of an anime, the background music, but the ops and eds are what pulled me into anime and I cannot tear those memories away from the actual content at this point.

You're acting like I'm attacking all anime with that statement and getting very worked up about it. It was kind of a joke, but also kind of not. An anime without the ops and eds wouldn't be anime to me at this point.

I think a lot of other anime fans enjoy ops and eds, they always make it onto youtube and the most popular ones get millions of views. You saying you don't care about them more seems to be your personal issue and puts you into a very slight minority. Are you deaf? You haven't enjoyed any ops and eds? As a music fan I'm surprised you can enjoy anime that much, the stories are poppy little trash pieces. I like anime as an experience.

Once again, not trying to speculate on your character like you have mine, not trying to make personal insults. But I feel like you're arguing at a wall right now because you've misconstrued my statement in anger.

"It's a tradition and it's a big reason I ever liked anime in the first place," as I said in my previous statement which you took such careful time to slice into pieces for the convenience of an argument with no one.

Now if you would like to make an argument about how anime can be separated from music and still be great, more power to you. Your argument will be wrong however and based off of what you've said here it's apparent you don't have the power to make such an argument. Anime producers see it as a huge function of anime now (always have, really, it's an inherent part of the package, always has been), and the anime you see will continue to have ops and eds.
Sep 14, 2018 11:10 AM

Mar 2016
Okay Netflix are not the ruiners of anime first they bring more market value to anime cause they have millions of subscribers worldwide and second they have a pretty good selesction for westerners like me FMA brotherhood, original FMA,Yugioh, Seven deadly sins, Devilman crybaby. Don't go hating on Netflix cause they have far more reach than some of these anime companies nobodies heard of and they have their own original series.
Sep 14, 2018 11:28 AM

Sep 2014
rsc-pl said:
Tell me again who cares about garbage services like Netflix. All anime "sponsored" by them is targeted to complete normalfags,

ecks dee
sure, Devilman: Crybaby with animated monster tits and gore in first episode is for complete "normalfags"
you seriously believe such a person will think it's better than any other anime? oh wait, they won't
if one is completely closed against anime they won't give a shit if it's on netflix or not, and netflix doesn't even try to particularly appeal to them either

and really, even if that was the case, there's nothing wrong with trying to target a wider audience sometimes
not everything needs to be targeted at filthy moe otaku, getting some "normalfags" to try out a medium is okay
as long as there's market for the less 'normal' anime they will keep being produced

Sep 14, 2018 11:40 AM

Feb 2015
zal said:
_Ako_ said:
Can we all agree that Netflix should just have stayed on its business apart from Anime industry?
I believe in free market so I disagree.

Cool, they're indeed innovating the industry
Sep 14, 2018 1:14 PM

Dec 2016
Pullman said:
Sure, on Netflix, but this is more about streaming or anime production in general. It's just a principles thing. If the long OPs did not exist and people were emotionally attached to them nobody would ask for it because it's just not necessary. The only reason people are attached to them is because they are used to them and nobody likes change.

Nope. People are not attached to them for the simple reason that "nobody likes change." Like I said in my previous post, I like the openings for what they are and how they add to my watching experience. I could go into more detail about what I like about them, but other people (even in this thread!) have done that before and I don't think it's necessary. Openings have an intrinsic value to them that add something to the anime, at least for me.

And from a production point of view, why pay for something that most people will skip most of the time? It's a waste of money and I doubt anyone will watch an anime for only the OP so it's not even a real risk of losing viewers, just being more efficient with the production.

Do you have proof that most people don't watch the OPs? Even if you do, it would have to be a huge percentage of people who don't watch them for them to be considered unnecessary. Also, based on the fact that anime studios are still making openings and endings, they obviously do see some value in them, so they are not a "waste of money." You're acting as if openings and endings are just unnecessary snippets that have no reason to be there.

So I understand why Netflix doesn't really see the upside.

Did Netflix even push for this, though? All I saw in the article was one anime music producer making a prediction.

What's the difference?
Sep 14, 2018 1:37 PM
Jul 2016
Hatred said:
this is all a prediction though so yeah

I was just about to point this out. The OP (and a lot of people in this thread) seem to have missed that this isn't some official announcement about Netflix, it's just someone's guess as to what they'll do in the future.

Also, nice Ibaraki profile pic!
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Sep 14, 2018 1:44 PM
May 2015
I'm sorry, but I enjoy a good Op/Ed title sequence, especially regarding anime shows. I don't think that cutting/eliminating them should be done.
Sep 14, 2018 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
The next step is making episodes only 5 minutes long to appease the people who have the attention span of a fruit fly.

Pullman said:

Lmao. really grasping at straws to shit on netflix, huh?

So would I rather have a generic jpop song that sounds like every other one with animation that repeats itself every ep or would I want anime creators to have a great budget and all the creative freedom they'd want like Netflix provides? Hmmmm.....

I'm sure that half a generic pop-song is what is objectively best for anime as a visual and storytelling medium. It's not just OPs personal weeb preferences and irrationally angsty relationship to anything western, especially Netflix, that makes him come to the very reasonable conclusion that anime is RUINED by shortening (not even removing) OPs that only fundamentally so long because it saves time and budget and effort in the creation of every episode.

Look, I get that someone may be tired from seeing constant threads about Netflix/Crunchyroll/America killing anime, but what you said is extremely subjective and partially wrong.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-01-22/.97839

The opening sequence for a show is started fairly early during development, often before other animation work starts. The series director chooses the song along with the show's production committee (which often includes a record label or talent agency offering up a handful of possible song choices). Once that's decided, the director may or may not have a certain concept or image in mind.

Occasionally the director will tackle and storyboard that opening himself, but more often than not he doesn't have the time. So instead, he will ask a skilled key animator that he knows and trusts to pull out all the stops. In some cases an opening sequence can be an important step up in the career of a key animator, on their way to doing more important work like storyboards and even directing. As an opening sequence doesn't really need to make literal sense, it's a good way to prove whether they can construct an emotionally compelling sequence of shots together, without risking any impact on the overall story if they screw up.

The director and production committee will have some amount of oversight over that animator's work -- especially if that animator is in charge of the whole thing -- but often that animator gets quite a bit of creative freedom to really go nuts and flex his or her muscles. The animation is usually much more involved -- including lots of nitty-gritty effects work in Photoshop and After Effects.

There are only a handful of animators that are really capable of doing an entire opening sequence themselves. Usually there's a small team of people working on it. Sometimes the entire thing is even outsourced to a different studio, as the main staff is usually very busy working on the show itself.
removed-userSep 14, 2018 1:57 PM
Sep 14, 2018 1:58 PM

Jan 2015
who cares about op/eds anyways? they could be half as long or none existent, I couldn't care less
Sep 14, 2018 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
ImAWeebUwU said:
who cares about op/eds anyways? they could be half as long or none existent, I couldn't care less

Some are even more famous than the shows themselves, like the Attack on Titan one or Evangelion's and its thousands of parodies on YouTube, so you do you.
Sep 14, 2018 2:11 PM
Apr 2017
i dont care
i like openings and endings but can live without them
let me rephrase that
i can watch anime without them
Sep 14, 2018 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
k? if anything i often get annoyed by the 2 and a half minutes of ending and openings.

that's 2 minutes and a half that could have been added to more story. as for the music

can't they just add it as insert songs?

not to mention most OP and ED have spoilers anyway sooooo.
GrimAtramentSep 14, 2018 8:01 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 14, 2018 2:28 PM

Mar 2018
What? Half the time I find anime by listening to the OPs or EDs, if I like them I'll try the anime...
Sep 14, 2018 2:29 PM

Sep 2018
On the contrary, I think the western influence of Netflix on anime could/has brought a lot of interesting, fresh approach to anime that would otherwise be cheesy.

Besides, it's making anime more appealing to western viewers who don't already like anime.

I mean, c'mon, did you see Castlevania on netflix? It was magnificent, I can't wait to see season 2. Plus, Devilman Crybaby? Great.

Anytime you can collaborate on a project with people from different cultural perspectives, it usually ends up way cooler cause so much more can be offered and combined. For example: take bi racial children, which are usually fucking gorgeous.
Sep 14, 2018 3:19 PM

Dec 2017
Pullman said:
Daemon said:

It's not really a problem though, especially if you're watching on Netflix. You can very easily just scrub past the opening or ending, which takes like three seconds to do. In fact, Netflix does that for you automatically. There's absolutely no reason why the opening needs to be shortened or eliminated. That's removing an entire 90 seconds of enjoyment for some people just to save a couple seconds for others (actually it doesn't even benefit people who don't like OPs, because like I said, Netflix can skip those automatically).

And from a production point of view, why pay for something that most people will skip most of the time? It's a waste of money and I doubt anyone will watch an anime for only the OP so it's not even a real risk of losing viewers, just being more efficient with the production. So I understand why Netflix doesn't really see the upside.

Botan-Chan45 said:
netflix is shit tho. Nobody uses it for anime and they barely contribute to like 2 studios. Pirating sites have a better model than netflix.

Sorry but what garbage are you spouting? Pirating sites who steal the work of other people and then make money off of that illegally have a better business model than literally nothing. It's bottom of the barrel scumminess that these pirating sites live off.

And Netflix is pouring a shitton of money into the industry and have a lot more shows in production. And they pay more per show/episode than any TV anime could dream of, so with 30 shows they're making this year, it's probably 50 shows worth of money or more that they are investing in the industry. That is like 25% of what airs in a year in terms of relevant seasonals.

You can find interviews with creators and industry members who generally are very happy to work with Netflix because of the much bigger budgets, less time constraints and more creative freedom. The only people who keep whining are some westerners like you and OP who irrationally demonize Netflix without really knowing what they are talking about.

You have no arguments, you just say it's shit and then spout some alternate facts, irrelevant half-truths and stuff you made up and show that you have no sense of morality or care for people who put in work for anime because you glorify the scummiest business model in the industry, the illegal streaming sites. Sorry if I can't take you seriously like that.

Botan-Chan45 said:
I didn't know weebs are anime. Guys i think we are animated people. (As if you have space to call people weeaboos you loser)

can you not read? saying you are anime weebs just means who are weebs with a main focus on anime. Don't embarass yourself by not being able to understand such a basic sentence.

Botan-Chan45 said:
Netflix will only effect like 2 studios so this isnt a problem. Even tho they say they are important, they only give money to studios that are already elite and not supporting any small companies that actually need the budget. Also binge watching is for losers who have no life and use their moms credit cards

Just because you repeat your blatant lies doesn't make them anymore true. Netflix has invested in the following studios already:

Science Saru (Devilman Crybaby) - Very new studio at the time, far from elite or established, it's basically a new studio and Netflix money most likely helped them establish themselves in the first place.

Polygon Pictures (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia, Blame) - also far from an 'elite' studio since it is 3cdgi only.

KyoAni (Violet Evergarden) - okay they might count as an elite studio, but even so what is the big deal?

Fanworks (Aggretsuko) - small studio, you might not even know it since they only do shorts. Far from elite or not needing the money.

Production IG (B: The Beginning, Sword Gai) - another established studio, arguable what you'd call 'elite', but again, so what? They also need financiers.

Bones (AICO) - same

JC Staff (Children fo the Whales)

Shaft (Last Encore)

That's already WAY more than 2, and I'm not gonna go through all their other Netflix exclusives. I think it's already pretty obvious you're full of shit when you say they only put money into 2 'elite' studios. Of course more investments will go towards established studios, that's not different from Japan, but just in terms of their original productions they already have been investing in 3 studios that are far from that, in Fanworks, Science Saru and Polygon Pictures, not to mention the variety of exclusives they invested in on top of that, or the titles that are still in production.

btw nice generalized 'insult' that you pulled out of your ass there at the end. Now everyone can see you possess the intelligence and maturity of a 12yo. Thanks for making it so hard to take you serious all by your own, just by being your immature, lying self. That way your blatant lies and misinformation won't really be effective in bringing people over to your anti-netflix agenda even if I can't always go out of my way to correct you when you spout bs. Anybody who takes you seriously in any way after seeing that display of immaturity and misinformation, only has themselves to blame.
you literally just proved my point. Congratulations for being an idiot and missing the joke too
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Sep 14, 2018 3:25 PM

Dec 2017
HarryRambod22 said:
Okay Netflix are not the ruiners of anime first they bring more market value to anime cause they have millions of subscribers worldwide and second they have a pretty good selesction for westerners like me FMA brotherhood, original FMA,Yugioh, Seven deadly sins, Devilman crybaby. Don't go hating on Netflix cause they have far more reach than some of these anime companies nobodies heard of and they have their own original series.
the anime companies they support are already big, and their selection is already on crunchyroll
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
Sep 14, 2018 3:26 PM

Dec 2017
Imaishi said:
rsc-pl said:
Tell me again who cares about garbage services like Netflix. All anime "sponsored" by them is targeted to complete normalfags,

ecks dee
sure, Devilman: Crybaby with animated monster tits and gore in first episode is for complete "normalfags"
you seriously believe such a person will think it's better than any other anime? oh wait, they won't
if one is completely closed against anime they won't give a shit if it's on netflix or not, and netflix doesn't even try to particularly appeal to them either

and really, even if that was the case, there's nothing wrong with trying to target a wider audience sometimes
not everything needs to be targeted at filthy moe otaku, getting some "normalfags" to try out a medium is okay
as long as there's market for the less 'normal' anime they will keep being produced

devil man crybaby is worse than moe shows. Gore and Sex =/= amazing anime. Great story with amazing characters are tho. (plus golden kamuy manga >>>>> dmc)
Sep 14, 2018 3:32 PM
Oct 2017
WHAT? NO! I look forward to OP/ED themes every season... I'm sad now
Sep 14, 2018 3:38 PM

Dec 2017
Wormy01 said:
WHAT? NO! I look forward to OP/ED themes every season... I'm sad now
it's just a prediction with no backup except one shitty anime.
Sep 14, 2018 3:57 PM

Mar 2016
lol, binge watchers and streamers are fucking brain dead.
syncrogazerSep 14, 2018 4:07 PM
Sep 14, 2018 4:00 PM

May 2009
joshua10red said:
F%*k Netflix.. They are destroying the anime industry..

Explain me how they are killing the animé industry by bringing animé to the west legally? They're doing the animé industry a huge favor, or do you prefer to watch them on kissanime knowing the producers won't get their income from your stream? ._. Where is your sense of logic?
Sep 14, 2018 4:01 PM

Aug 2018
Netflix is good they said... it'll help the anime industry they said...
Sep 14, 2018 4:04 PM

Aug 2018
Netflix should keep posting anime on Netflix, but they should seriously stop trying to make Live-Action adaptions of shows. They just make the amazing shows look stupid when they get their greedy little hands on them.
Sep 14, 2018 4:05 PM

Dec 2017
Shoryuuken said:
joshua10red said:
F%*k Netflix.. They are destroying the anime industry..

Explain me how they are killing the animé industry by bringing animé to the west legally? They're doing the animé industry a huge favor, or do you prefer to watch them on kissanime knowing the producers won't get their income from your stream? ._. Where is your sense of logic?
only big time ones are getting money. Legit, if you think they help the anime industry, then ur in for a big shock
Sep 14, 2018 4:08 PM

May 2009
Botan-Chan45 said:
Shoryuuken said:

only big time ones are getting money. Legit, if you think they help the anime industry, then ur in for a big shock

"Big ones" potentially bring over other series to the west if well received, that's how it goes. You won't get the small ones if you can't ensure success with the big ones, if people see success with the big ones they might try the small ones. Do you think Crunchy roll had those small animé back in 2009? They didn't, you have to build your empire.
Sep 14, 2018 4:11 PM

Dec 2017
Shoryuuken said:
Botan-Chan45 said:

"Big ones" potentially bring over other series to the west if well received, that's how it goes. You won't get the small ones if you can't ensure success with the big ones, if people see success with the big ones they might try the small ones. Do you think Crunchy roll had those small animé back in 2009? They didn't, you have to build your empire.
They did have small ones tho. They had both mainstream and underground anime studios. Not only that, they were also pirates. So i guess pirating over >>>> CR and Netflix
Sep 14, 2018 4:21 PM

May 2009
Botan-Chan45 said:
Shoryuuken said:

They did have small ones tho. They had both mainstream and underground anime studios. Not only that, they were also pirates. So i guess pirating over >>>> CR and Netflix

Alot of companies have or had illegal resources here and there, hell the animé industry itself is corrupt as hell as we speak and are largely in control by the Yakuza due to them being one of the biggest shareholders. Let's not be blind to that. When Crunchyroll went legal, they partnered with companies to get anime's across to the west in a legal manner, they advertised in a manner that attracted casuals and hardcore fans alike. And so is Netflix right now by trying to appeal to a larger audience and slowly making it a medium in the app itself. Considering Netflix is the most famous streaming app, yes they're doing the industry a massive favour.
Sep 14, 2018 4:32 PM

Dec 2017
Shoryuuken said:
Botan-Chan45 said:

Alot of companies have or had illegal resources here and there, hell the animé industry itself is corrupt as hell as we speak and are largely in control by the Yakuza due to them being one of the biggest shareholders. Let's not be blind to that. When Crunchyroll went legal, they partnered with companies to get anime's across to the west in a legal manner, they advertised in a manner that attracted casuals and hardcore fans alike. And so is Netflix right now by trying to appeal to a larger audience and slowly making it a medium in the app itself. Considering Netflix is the most famous streaming app, yes they're doing the industry a massive favour.
Lmao, what a laugh. The Yakuza arent even connected to anime at all.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 58 minutes ago

26 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
4 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

5 by Daviljoe193 »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 42 minutes ago

9 by rohan121 »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Apr 25

8 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.