Forum Settings
Forums

The 90 second anime OP/ED is about to be killed off by Netflix.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Sep 13, 11:54 AM

You better enjoy them while they last because the ruiners of anime (aka Netflix) is going to cut them short if not phased out.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-09-11/anime-music-producer-predicts-the-end-of-the-90-second-anime-song/.136571

One reason why you don't want anime to go the binge route. You mis out on good OP/ED themes.

Sep 13, 12:03 PM
I cant wait when subs will be not available anymore too.
GangsterCat said:
because there is no good yuri manga. it's always melodramatic love story of a confused hetero and a turbo dyke sexual offender

Sep 13, 12:04 PM

F%*k Netflix.. They are destroying the anime industry..

Sep 13, 12:08 PM
well im sure a lot of anime fans do not mind seeing when they binge watch they usually say they skip the OP and ED parts anyway

my only problem is that when the OP and ED are gone then that means English Covers of them on YouTube will be gone too

Sep 13, 12:13 PM

thanks a lot netflix you ruined everything once again

Sep 13, 12:19 PM

So basically they want to more closely emulate something like Gurren Lagann where the theme is regularly used in key scenes in the series instead of having them at the beginning and end of every episode.

They didn't say they're going to completely remove the songs they just aren't standalone aspects of the series and instead will be used to set the mood or applied to individual scenes.

Even outside of that though there isn't really anything that says the TV broadcasts will have to change because they are the norm but if it does follow the TV broadcast that just means you'll get 2 and a half minutes of extra content with some potentially sweet insert songs.

Sep 13, 12:20 PM

I always skip the opening anyway tbh

Sep 13, 12:21 PM

Do people actually watch the OP/ED every time?

I watch the OP/ED of the first episode but I'm not going to waste my time watching 4 minutes of the same OP/ED for every episode.

Sep 13, 12:22 PM

Netflix can't control the entire industry and I skip most ops and all eds anyways so I don't care.
Everyone except me has shit taste.

justcaolan said:
I always skip the opening anyway tbh
1000% facts. Netflix doing me a favor

It's Mr.Kaneda to you, punk!

The idiots from Netflix don't understand how important are the OPs and EDs.. I have friends who started to watch anime because of OPs. I also started some anime only because of the OP (Tokyo Ghoul)
. And because of some OPs i discovered amazing anime and spent a lot of money..
The music is important to promote the anime and support the industry..
I always watch the OP and ED.. Some of them are extremely good so you can't skip

Sep 13, 12:26 PM

How can people say they skip the OP and the ED? I get the ED but the OP is supposed to set the mood and I always watch it.

Sep 13, 12:31 PM

I watch an OP or ED once and skip that shit every time except the ones I like.

Talk to me! I'm lonely (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)

So many anime, So little time!

Sep 13, 12:32 PM

Just another speculation based on one example that will probably never come true... If it does though, I'm gonna be mega pissed

Sep 13, 12:33 PM
Good move by Netflix dont need that shit

Sep 13, 12:37 PM

xxdarkknightxx12 said:

I watch the OP/ED of the first episode but I'm not going to waste my time watching 4 minutes of the same OP/ED for every episode.
Of course we do. Falling in love with the songs more and more each episode and associating our memories of the show with them is one of the many beauties of watching anime.
People who skip a second of an anime episode aren't getting the full experience imo (this is coming from an unhealthily hardcore completionist though so take it with a grain of salt).

Sep 13, 12:38 PM

Tell me again who cares about garbage services like Netflix. All anime "sponsored" by them is targeted to complete normalfags, even KyoAni completely fucked up with VEG.
Btw. It's not possible that anime producers would ever get rid of OP/EDs. OP/EDs are essential. It is giving a huge profit. Many great singers got popular by performing opening or ending songs. Not mentioning about OP/ED performed by voice acting cast, mini-concerts etc. It's just ridiculous to even think about it.
And obligatory, Fuck Netflix.

ShadowMonkey said:

People who skip a second of an anime episode aren't getting the full experience

Same with people that uses the dubs.
Modified by rsc-pl, Sep 13, 12:49 PM

Sep 13, 12:47 PM

I wasn’t expecting anything good from Netflix anyway

Sep 13, 12:49 PM

assyrian said:
How can people say they skip the OP and the ED? I get the ED but the OP is supposed to set the mood and I always watch it.
How can people watch the OP and ED every time? I just watch them both once and that's it, I skip it in other episodes. Imo, its a waste of time to watch it every time. It definitely helps you watch anime faster especially when you binging some shit.

It's Mr.Kaneda to you, punk!

Sep 13, 12:51 PM

rsc-pl said:

ShadowMonkey said:

same with people who use subs.
go raw or go home
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher

Sep 13, 12:53 PM

GamerDLM said:
So basically they want to more closely emulate something like Gurren Lagann where the theme is regularly used in key scenes in the series instead of having them at the beginning and end of every episode.

They didn't say they're going to completely remove the songs they just aren't standalone aspects of the series and instead will be used to set the mood or applied to individual scenes.

Even outside of that though there isn't really anything that says the TV broadcasts will have to change because they are the norm but if it does follow the TV broadcast that just means you'll get 2 and a half minutes of extra content with some potentially sweet insert songs.
Yeah, like every super robot anime.

Sep 13, 12:59 PM

OPs and EDs do a very good job setting you in the mood of an anime/arc. Also, shows like Gintama demonstrate that you can't skip any of their openings, because they will likely prepare you a joke at the end of it (see Gintama' ep 23 OP), or either fit with the current arc (as HxH EDs do very well).

OPs and EDs are many anime's trademarks. What would be Tokyo Ghoul without its first opening? Or Shingeki no Kyojin? One Piece? Also, we wouldn't have famous memes without JoJo's first ED (this one even helped the original song to become more famous worldwide) or Kekkai Sensen's one. It would be bad to quit them all.

Sep 13, 1:01 PM

I don't care. I skip that shit because it has spoilers and I don't like j-rock/pop. So go on Netflix, you make everything better.

Sep 13, 1:05 PM
rsc-pl said:
Tell me again who cares about garbage services like Netflix. All anime "sponsored" by them is targeted to complete normalfags, even KyoAni completely fucked up with VEG.
Btw. It's not possible that anime producers would ever get rid of OP/EDs. OP/EDs are essential. It is giving a huge profit. Many great singers got popular by performing opening or ending songs. Not mentioning about OP/ED performed by voice acting cast, mini-concerts etc. It's just ridiculous to even think about it.

ShadowMonkey said:

Man you must be a egotistical weeb because Dubbed anime can definitely provide the full expierence.

Sep 13, 1:06 PM

assyrian said:

You simply don't watch Bakis 2nd season opening more than once xD
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Sep 13, 1:08 PM
Die

Don't use Netflix, so I couldn't care less.

Sep 13, 1:09 PM

LilZachhh said:

Man you must be a egotistical weeb

Well, I can take it as compliment considering the fact that words like "weeb" are just a buzzwords used by completely close minded part of internet society lately.

And how would you call me if I say that I'm watching Murican movies with Murican voices, French movies with French voices and literary all kind of foreign media with its original voice cast? Egotistical what?
Nope dude. Dubs are always the worst way to consume any foreign media.

LilZachhh said:
Dubbed anime can definitely provide the full expierence.

Yup. Maybe in alternative universe.
Modified by rsc-pl, Sep 13, 1:16 PM

Sep 13, 1:12 PM

LilZachhh said:

Can I have whatever you are smoking?

Sep 13, 1:23 PM

Thank goodness I don't use Netflix.

Sep 13, 1:27 PM

You're just hating on dubs because it's not the original voices 😂 .
Modified by Zachhh, Sep 13, 1:31 PM

Sep 13, 1:31 PM

[quote=LilZachhh message=55715658]
rsc-pl said:

Nope the Dubbed script is made to fit the animation, so sometimes dubs don't make sense.

Sep 13, 1:32 PM

Hoppy said:
LilZachhh said:

Can I have whatever you are smoking?

So you're going to be of those people huh. Not surprising considering the whiny attitude of this thread
Modified by senorblu, Sep 13, 1:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 13, 1:33 PM

Meh. There have only been a handful of unforgettable OPs so I wouldn't see this as a big loss. Personally, I think themes are more effective when used in the closing minutes of episodes (NANA) rather than the opens anyway. 90 more seconds of music integration is fine with me.

Sep 13, 1:37 PM
Ok?
I ignor OP/ED I think it's waste of time.
And out of the 1.2k animes i have seen only Ergo Proxy and Kokkoku have a OP that is worth watching.

I just think it's waste I woud rather see 3 min more of content that woud be lovley.
Beacuse the anime eps is to short.

Sep 13, 1:41 PM
Ultimate Goofer

Klad said:
assyrian said:
How can people watch the OP and ED every time? I just watch them both once and that's it, I skip it in other episodes. Imo, its a waste of time to watch it every time. It definitely helps you watch anime faster especially when you binging some shit.
I tend to watch the OP every time if I like the song.

Sep 13, 1:44 PM

If I like the show then I'll check out the OP/ED. I do give it a try at least once so if I watch netflix I don't mind if they want to cut that short ED out but usually there's something at the end like illustrations or short continuation after ED.

Sep 13, 1:47 PM

That's retarded and doesn't even make sense. I've watched anime on Netflix before, and though it does sometimes automatically skip the opening and ending, I'm pretty sure there is an option that lets you watch the entirety of the opening sequence. Binge watching and Netflix have nothing to do with this, and to cease making 90 second anime openings seems like an overreaction.
WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Sep 13, 1:59 PM

Stupid change. But I only watch the OP/ED about two times unless it's really good.
Don't just sit there and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, do it right away. Do it when you can. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Sep 13, 2:06 PM

LilZachhh said:

Man you must be a egotistical weeb because Dubbed anime can definitely provide the full expierence.
They can, but most of the time they don't.
A lot of stuff like jokes, puns, speech-patterns and sheer dramatical impact can be lost through any kind of localization, including dubs AND subs. Even most subs you find on any non-download sources are actually really dumbed-down, simplified localizations that really minimize the impact and meaning of a lot of things that are said.
I'm personally at a point where I don't know enough Japanese to watch without subs but know more than enough to notice mistakes/shortcuts and it really frustrates me to see how much they dumb down anime dialogue in translations (fansubs generally do come pretty close, though). Then you can only imagine how bad it usually is for dubs, where they have to not only localize it strongly to make it sound natural but also match mouth-flaps and sometimes completely change meanings in the process (especially with comedy).
Modified by ShadowMonkey, Sep 13, 2:26 PM

Sep 13, 2:08 PM

Boo, I hope not :\ I love OPs and EDs both, just the concept of them and how anime dedicates so much time to them. I like this aspect of it, it's just something really "anime" to me that I can appreciate about it in a distinct and odd kind of way most of the time.

I also don't skip them, ever, but that's part of a greater OCD about playing videos until the very end. Extends to anything that I watch or books that I read, etc. But I actually like doing as much and I would kind of miss them if they were to go, honestly.
Modified by Lisbon, Sep 13, 2:15 PM

Sep 13, 2:11 PM

Hmm that's a shame. Openings are good marketing tools, so I dunno why they'd get rid of them entirely. Doesn't seem right, but the binge culture Is a thing I suppose? Can't relate though as I watch anime at a slow pace, so I watch the op's to get in the mood, or so to speak.

Sep 13, 2:25 PM

Why should it matter if an anime had an OP/ED or not? I don't think it really matters.

Sep 13, 2:34 PM

I don't own a TV. I don't have a Netflix account.

I watch the OP and ED of shows I really like. I even whistle along with them. The shows that I don't really like the OP/ED just gives me enough time to grab a snack or so.

Sep 13, 2:34 PM

There aren't any lil peep anime openings, therefore they're trash.

Sep 13, 2:37 PM

I only watch the opening one the first episode unless I like the song and I never watch the ending so... I don't care lmao.
Modified by Minami, Sep 13, 2:46 PM

Sep 13, 2:46 PM

this is all a prediction though so yeah

Sep 13, 3:11 PM

Hatred said:
this is all a prediction though so yeah

At this point, yeah. I highly doubt the traditional model for Japanese TV will die out easily. This'll just be Netflix anime, maybe some ONAs, and whichever company decides to follow Netflix.
Sturgeon's Law Ghetto Corollary:
A "respectable" genre of fictional media will always be judged by the 10% of good works,
but a stigmatized genre will always be judged by the 90% of bad works.

My gaze is the measure of all things:
Anime of the Year 2018: Potential Nominee | Main Nominee

Sep 13, 3:25 PM

Guys guys this only applies to 90 seconds OPs, wich meeeans 140 secs ones like One Piece are safe :)))

OT: This is what happens when a service that is so cemented on the idea of binge watching forces their ideology on the consumer and doesnt give them room to choose.
Whether you like or dislike OP/EDs they are there because they give the watcher an idea of how the series is gonna be like (unless they were intentionally made to be misleading), they promote the song and also present the characters in a way that is fun while also showing the animators full capabilities. Now with this i am not saing you should like every OP/ED you come across or not skip them (i also skipped some), but to abolish them completely and not show them at all is absurd.

✧A Believing Heart Is Your Magic✧

Sep 13, 3:27 PM
rsc-pl said:

ShadowMonkey said:

Same with people that use the subs .,

Sep 13, 3:29 PM

xxdarkknightxx12 said:

I let it play.

It both provides spacing to the presentation of the show, and sets the tone for it.

PunkRocker2001 said:
Why should it matter if an anime had an OP/ED or not? I don't think it really matters.
They're good for contributing to the show's sense of atmosphere/emotion.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »