Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 26, 2018 7:54 PM

May 2017
Hey guys.... I'm planning watch "Fullmetal Alchemist", cuz it is in "top 1 anime" a long time ago(since that I saw the "Top Anime" list for the first time), so it shall be good(I hope).... but there are two them and the only thing that I know is... one kept faithful to the manga(Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) and the other not.

So... what you guys think about them? Is it worth watching both? And what is the difference between them about trama and plot twist? And the movie is good(not the live action)?

_SooyaAug 26, 2018 9:07 PM

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Aug 27, 2018 9:55 AM
Oct 2016
I recommend to watch the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. The animation also better in my opinion since FMAB came out 5 years after FMA. I don't know about the difference since I haven't watched FMA and don't plan to. But if you plan to watch both of them, I suggest FMAB first since well it's the canon. For the movie, I only watch Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos and it's not that good for me
Aug 27, 2018 10:16 AM
Nov 2014
Started the manga, kinda liked it, read it until an overpowered loli appeared out of nowhere and dropped it then (I know it's a silly reason I must've have been pissed about some other nonsense that day).

From memory, it's a good manga.

edit: Yay for Saber Nero. Just finished Last Encore ;)
Aug 27, 2018 10:41 AM

May 2015
If you do have the time (which I assume you do according to your question) watch them both, obviously starting with the original series.

Whilst the shows host mostly the same Characters; they're ultimately different from each other, neither necessarily being better than the other. Whilst neither of them is better than the other, both shows have spectacular elements that the other one doesn't have.

From my personal prospect, the original series has a much better introduction than Brotherhood (first 25 Episodes or so), whilst Brotherhood surpasses the original series by the midway point-- with Brotherhood's ending being... more satisfactory than the original series, but, also much less meaningful.

As it stands:
Beginning: Original Series is much better
Halfway: Brotherhood is much better
Ending: Down to personal taste.

Both shows tend to be identical from Episodes 4-13, as that is how much of the manga was complete at the time, after Episode 14-ish, the Original Series and Brotherhood are entirely different.
Aug 27, 2018 11:08 AM

May 2010
MrBluee said:

So... what you guys think about them? Is it worth watching both? And what is the difference between them about trama and plot twist? And the movie is good(not the live action)?

The biggest problem with Brotherhood is the beginning. That's because it was partly made with people who watched/read the original series/manga in mind, so it doesn't try hard when it comes to making you empathize with Ed and Al's plight. The original series tries hard at this by adding a few more introductory episodes and changing the sequence the story is told. Plus the themes of war and the right to use alchemy are very pronounced.

That's why, overall narrative, I like the original series better. You need to watch its movie, Conqueror of Shamballa, though, to round it out.

However, action-wise, I think Brotherhood is better. The angles are more creative and it's fun to watch simply for that. The story there is the manga's story which questions alchemy's role in terms of gaining power.

But the movie linked to Brotherhood, Sacred Star of Milos is a stand-alone story which isn't that great. IMO, they would've done so much better if they had animated the LN, Valley of the White Petals (better character dilemma for Ed and Al).
4evaDCAug 27, 2018 11:52 AM
Aug 27, 2018 11:22 AM
Jul 2014
Fullmetal is my favorite anime and manga of all time, so of course I'd recommend doing both. What I did was watch FMA and The Conqueror of Shamballa right after, as w/o it you really don't have any closure. I then watched Brotherhood. The Sacred Star of Milos isn't required at all and isn't good either. I watched it anyways, but you can choose not to.
Aug 27, 2018 11:38 AM

May 2016
So I watched Brotherhood without having seen the original or read the manga. In my opinion, the opening is a bit quick but I was able to catch on without much of a problem.

From what I've heard, the original is a lot better in the first half because it takes more time on the opening arcs of the series, while the second half goes nowhere because it ran out of source material at the time. While I've not seen the original, I still think Brotherhood is a good place to start since the story is coherent and planned all the way through.

Aug 27, 2018 11:41 AM

May 2013
I would advise you to watch the 2003 version first. It's more serious themed.

Then you can watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for a more feel-good finale, and it feels a little more 'complete'...for a lack of better word.

I personally enjoyed both back in the day, it is quite amazing to see how good the tv original stands on its own when compared to the manga adaptation, after having diverged midway into the series.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 27, 2018 7:57 PM

May 2017

So... Accordingly to your opinions, I will watch the brotherhood... I asked if it is worth watch both... but it was just a question.... cuz actually I don't like to watch the same anime twice, even if they are different... cuz is weird to me...

I ever prefer to watch the original series... Just my taste... and about the FMA... I think I have watched this before(I remember a few episodes)... when I was kid on TV(maybe 10 years ago)... The part that you guys saying that don't have on FMAB is the begging that show about both MC and their past(how they lose the arm, leg and body and for what)?

Cuz if was it then I remember somethings(a little bit). And some characters too(I loved that guy with white glove kkk).

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Aug 29, 2018 6:08 AM

Dec 2015
Ponds667 said:

From what I've heard, the second half goes nowhere because it ran out of source material at the time. While I've not seen the original, I still think Brotherhood is a good place to start since the story is coherent and planned all the way through.

Errm, the second half leads to a TV semi-finale and a theatrical finale. They didn't "ran out of source", they actually "planned" to writ e a story based on some future elements given by the author. But they made a poor job at connecting the parts because of a lack of pre-indications.

@MrBluee No, the part they mean is the way the story starts slowly by following the heroes travel and showing the experiences they make by meeting new people. THis is more or less cut out and what's left is so abridged it barely has any impact.

I would also confirm that both are worth spending time on them. Unless you have access to the comic books, who are more convenient and have no con, making Hagaren 2009 worthless.
Also, the 2010-11 movie is useless but if you're here for action, watch it (during/after the series) for the animated action sequences.
Aug 29, 2018 6:11 AM

Feb 2015
I've only watched the first one, and thought it was really good. If you've got the time for it, I would recommend watching it.
Sep 8, 2018 10:50 PM
Jun 2015
Watch both. There are many aspects in which the first does better than the second. But overall the second is better. IMO
Sep 9, 2018 3:37 AM

Nov 2017
I honestly think that FMA and FMAB are good shows and I would recommend them both
(especially to someone that is already into anime).

BUT I do not consider them in my top twenty.

I just can't connect with them properly.
I was much more moved by shows such as Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Steins;Gate, Kimi no nawa, Koe no Katachi and so on.
Sep 10, 2018 4:20 PM

May 2017
gg93 said:
I honestly think that FMA and FMAB are good shows and I would recommend them both
(especially to someone that is already into anime).

BUT I do not consider them in my top twenty.

I just can't connect with them properly.
I was much more moved by shows such as Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Steins;Gate, Kimi no nawa, Koe no Katachi and so on.

Yeah.... I finished FMAB and it was not what I expect, so I don't have any wish to watch the FMA ...

I agree with you.... I also like Steins;Gate and Koe no Katachi a lot.

I started to watch it cuz it is the top 1 anime on MAL ... so I was hope for a AMAZING work... and on the end it was no incredible, the fights was not good, looks like more Naruto's fight with your jutsus non-sense and bland than the real "alchemist fight" and the story is a "standard anime story"(at the beginning the MC wants something and on the end they get easily) and the characters was not something nice(as known as "standard anime characters"), also I hate when the villains has a forced scene where they are humiliated by the "good guys" or they lost just cuz they are villains.

I didn't like as much as I wanted, and looks like has some plot holes...

The anime is cool to spend time, but in my opinion it don't deserves the "top 1" even "top 20"... but I respect the other opinions and the people who placed the anime there.

Dec 10, 2018 3:54 AM

Nov 2018
So if I'm reading and taking this right, none of them have full faithful content? I mean faithful to the original source. Said original has "planned" content and Brotherhood is more satisfying. I just wanna make sure which I would better pick.

EDIT: Forget what I said.
yuccasnpkDec 10, 2018 6:45 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Apr 26, 2009

446 by xennotsan »»
Yesterday, 2:58 AM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
Apr 27, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.