Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 10, 2016 12:37 AM
Dec 2016
The plot was great and all but i just can't help but think this movie was a bit overrated.The plot,the art,the sound etc. were spot on.The characters on the other hand though,were kinda forgettable.I understand that they didn't have enough time to develop the characters too much however how did mitsuha and taki fall for each other by just switching places in the first place?I feel like the bond between them wasn't strong enough.Don't get me wrong i really did enjoy watching this but i don't think it deserves a 10/10
Shinjiikari02Dec 10, 2016 12:41 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 10, 2016 4:49 AM

Feb 2016
>slightly overrated
>Shinkai Makoto
kek

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 10, 2016 5:50 AM

Nov 2014
It had a interesrting plot, with good pacing (that is slow-ish but necessary) and I liked the soundtrack. It was overall a solid movie and I rated it high.

I'm surprised it got such a score of MAL though, considering the number of people who would rate it 1 then act like some elitist cunt over it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 10, 2016 5:51 AM

Feb 2015
Grossly overrated, I say. Shinkai Makoto is always like that.
Dec 10, 2016 6:02 AM

Oct 2015
It's a good movie, not the best but good. I wouldn't be that guy who gets all butthurt about it being in the first place and scoring it very low.
Dec 10, 2016 6:15 AM

Apr 2013
Joms said:

Imo it's clearly the best Shinkai's film. Yes, it is not as good as majority of people says, but the film itself is really satisfying in many aspects, especially the visual direction and I left the cinema with a wonderful feeling. But the overrated discussion is pretty useless tbh, most people use the term overrated in order to bring down the anime they think does not deserve much praise not because the show itself is bad but because they don't like it as much as other people does.
Dec 10, 2016 6:25 AM

Feb 2015
TriZen said:
Joms said:

Imo it's clearly the best Shinkai's film. Yes, it is not as good as majority of people says, but the film itself is really satisfying in many aspects, especially the visual direction and I left the cinema with a wonderful feeling. But the overrated discussion is pretty useless tbh, most people use the term overrated in order to bring down the anime they think does not deserve much praise not because the show itself is bad but because they don't like it as much as other people does.

I don't know, but my definition of overrated is that the show doesn't actually deserve the acclaim, i know even you agree that it's not the best film despite what the people say.

Makoto Shinkai is actually mediocre in average, with Garden of Words his best because it is short and smooth. I haven't watched this film, but I'm always upset when the hype and praises did not reflect the films themselves. I hope it would be as good as GoW or even surmount its quality
Dec 10, 2016 6:26 AM

Jul 2012
Very overrated.

Kimi no na wa was the best animated Shinkai film to date. But all of Shinkai's works so far have been stellar so it's not that much better than Garden of Words in that regard.

In addition the story is much more messy and nonsensical.
Dec 10, 2016 3:20 PM

Nov 2011
no, not slightly, it is very very overrated. Tons of amateur plot problems like the MCs forgetting how to use a smartphone to communicate, instead relying on human diary entries, not that it'll work due to the twist but still, not realizing that Sunday turns into Thursday when they most likely have different schedules per day as 2016 is'nt 2013, plus the comet. Convincing the Mayor was very important in the last part but nope, they didn't even show how he got convinced etc. Explanation for shits going on, that is also musubi... So retarded. The more I think about this show, the more flaws appear that aren't supposed to when you are already a pro writer. Ignorant masses calling the twist original... lol.
ernstDec 10, 2016 3:31 PM
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Dec 11, 2016 2:47 AM

Dec 2012
I think in terms of box office success I can understand why. It has all the ingredients of mass audience appeal, from the highly cinematic experience, it's comedic timing, great pacing and momentum and intriguing premise. In terms of the rating on mal, i think probably not so much. But then again how many anime on the top 40 of mal do you agree with? I think when it comes to masterpieces like a 10/10 it gets extremely subjective. Whereas slightly lower scored shows like 8 and 9, people become more tolerant of it. I also agree that the relationship is a underdeveloped to be emotionally effective. Furthermore I found the whole body switching amnesia and time traveling to be a bit unjustified in terms of its narrative purposes. Like it seemed to only be there as a device for drama and not for conveying messages or develop the characters. So i think even from a non-subjective but objective point of view, the story could've been more fleshed and the craft more articulated. I think this film would've worked a lot better as a series where they could even give us an epilogue where unsatisfying ending didn't.
Dec 11, 2016 4:25 AM

Jul 2014
More overrated than Gintama and that's saying something.
The truth is best told straight.
Dec 11, 2016 4:34 AM

Feb 2010
seemed to me like Shinkai tried to imitate Miyazaki at the second half of movie, all these magical journeys trough fields and all knowing granny, even the dialogues were.. cliche but not in good way
besides amazing animation (like always) it didn't work out well for me coz most of new anime have good art these days, its not something surprising anymore
Dec 11, 2016 3:20 PM
Sep 2016
Just like any famous anime titles. The reservation are coming from people who have little knowledge in Japanese culture, ethics, religion(shintoism) and their concepts of love.
Shadowguy77Dec 11, 2016 3:23 PM
Dec 11, 2016 3:46 PM

Feb 2013
I liked Byousoku 5 Centimeter a lot more that Kimi no na wa, both from Shinkai.
8 > 6 for me.
Just because I couldn't feel the drama from Kimi no na wa, it was funny at most.
Dec 11, 2016 8:39 PM
Nov 2016
Do people not understand that liking a movie or not is subjective? If you didn't like it, that's fine. However, most people thought it was very good and that's why it's currently on the top of the rankings. These two things are not contradictory since everyone has their own tastes.
Dec 13, 2016 1:55 AM

Dec 2012
Barrys said:

I think that a love story (or any topic) is as emotionally effective as much as you can relate to it, how much it is developed is secondary

That's a good point and observation. I never really thought about it that way. Also I think the love story that we as audience tend to care/emotionally invest in are the ones we want ourselves and can empathize with as you said.
Dec 14, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2014
mikario said:
Do people not understand that liking a movie or not is subjective? If you didn't like it, that's fine. However, most people thought it was very good and that's why it's currently on the top of the rankings.
Spot on. It would be more of a problem if absolutely everyone thought it was a masterpiece... That would mean there were subliminal messages or something ;)
Dec 15, 2016 9:06 AM
May 2016
i mean it was nice, and at times i found myself laughing, but at the end i couldn't feel a connection to the movie.
the movie will be hard to forget, but i still don't think that it is one of the best
i can't help but feel so weird hearing everyone saying that the movie was amazing or spectacular. i feel so left out :(
Dec 15, 2016 9:14 AM

Sep 2015
I agree, I have no idea why the rating is so damn high
Dec 15, 2016 11:06 PM

Dec 2012
meeezh said:
i feel so left out :(

Me too, I really wanted to like it more!
Dec 18, 2016 11:00 AM

Sep 2016
idk how did this movie become so popular and well known to begin with, especially outside japan
was there some crazy hugh mungus budget of advertizement or something?

i will take kungfu panda over this anytime
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 18, 2016 11:08 AM

May 2015
Well, to be honest, it's not really overrated. Kimi no nawa deserves what it takes when it comes to the watchers and fans alike.

Also, if take a look at the stats, 453 votes scores it 1--the worst possible rating yet--without explaining it why.
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Dec 19, 2016 4:10 AM

Oct 2011
I think we'll always have this feeling that something is overrated when lots of people start to make a fuss over it, talking that "is amazing" or is "the best anime ever".... even if is really very great ^^'

some people are too exaggerate in express how much they like an anime... and, when the anime is in the spotlight, more people will watch and talk about it... and, consequently, more of those "exaggerated" people will shows up and make their exaggerated comments

in a side note, I feel a little sad when those things influence other people's opinion negatively... like, there's so many people stating that an anime is amazing, and lots of them are really annoying... so, some people will watch "wanting" to dislike it (unconsciously) to not agree, or to not be "alongside" with those "annoying people"...
Dec 19, 2016 4:55 AM
Oct 2013
I read this article Why the story of body-swapping teenagers has gripped Japan and realized that it made some sense.

1) It's a body-swapping fantasy. What if I'm inside a man's body? What If I'm inside a woman's body? What if one day I wake up in someone else's body? Am I dreaming... or is it real?

2) Natural disaster that killed many people. I think Japan is hated by mother nature with all of those big scale disasters - nuclear explosion, tsunami and earthquake.

I think with just these two, it would strike a lot of people's heart. The first one makes you reflect and reassure your gender curiosity and identity under the "melancholy" of dreaming.

The second one reminds people of the tragic events that had transpired and grieving people's "hope to change" it. "If only I could have done something back then, I could have changed the fate of hundreds of people" - and this is what Kimi no Na Wa is all about.
ExplodingGirlDec 19, 2016 4:58 AM
Dec 19, 2016 11:32 AM
Nov 2013
I keep waiting for the rating to drop and it never does D:
Massively overrated. But yeah that's nothing new to Shinkai
Dec 19, 2016 2:04 PM

Jul 2013
Only seen dubbed version, but if I'm going off of that, then yea, pretty overrated.
Should be more around the 8.0-8.5 avg rating mark tbh.
Dec 19, 2016 2:07 PM
Sep 2014
it's overrated, because most people get emotional over it and rate it too high.
Dec 20, 2016 2:09 PM
Apr 2014
It is overrated, which doesn't mean it's not good, because it is. But yeah, it got a bit messy. I kept asking myself how the heck didn't they realize they were in different years, or even how Taki never thought of finding out where Mitsuha lived. Also the romance angle wasn't the best, especially when you realize that they only knew each other indirectly. But it was still a lot better than the average anime.
Jan 8, 2017 5:51 AM
Jul 2014
I think it does overrated. Makoto Shinkai masterpiece is Garden of Words in my opinion.
Jan 8, 2017 1:03 PM
Dec 2014
Ulquiorra said:
I liked Byousoku 5 Centimeter a lot more that Kimi no na wa, both from Shinkai.
8 > 6 for me.
Just because I couldn't feel the drama from Kimi no na wa, it was funny at most.

Personally, I preferred Kimi no na wa by far, but that probably has to do with the fact that I am not huge on pure drama (I like how Kimi no na wa had a bit of humour, a bit of suspense mixed into it).

If I was to rate (I don't), I'd give it a solid 8.
Jan 9, 2017 6:52 AM
Jan 2012
I liked the film. It was at times fun, cute, beautiful, but then... that was it.

Although I enjoyed the film, and I don't think I've missed any major essence of the film, I can only give 7/10 personally for this.

The reasons:
1) "Natural disaster" and "losing one's beloved as well as his/her town and memories associated" are very important and serious themes in actual Japanese life of the year 2010s. How to come to terms with the huge impact of loss of life and memories is what Japan has been grappling with since the devastating earthquake and tsunami of March 11, 2011. There were hundreds of teenage girls like Mitsuha who lost their lives. And also hundreds of Taki who keep on regretting about what might they have done to rescue those lives, and how to come to terms with fading memories. However, this film goes half way into the theme but gives a sort of forced happy ending. The film could have been better with Taki losing memory of the ideal girl Mitsuha but with a deeper understanding of life and love's preciousness while getting together with Okudera-senpai. Love and life is precious as you can lose it; while you are alive you've gotta love someone- that could have been the message. What we are left with instead is a refreshing void. It's refreshing, but just a void.
2) I don't understand why the two are drawn toward each other. Well, they are innocent teenagers and they see very closely the other sex's body parts. But then that is the main reason? I understand very well that the two find kindness in each other. But then that might not be enough for love ...
3) The legend of meteors and the godly natural power involved is a bit forced and unnatural. I don't think it adds to the story. This I say as a Japanese born and living in Japan and who goes to a shinto shrine once in a while for prayers...

I liked the film, but I can state with confidence that Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) and Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni (In This Corner of the World) were better Japanese Animation films of 2016. Direction, music, animation, pictures, voice acting ... the other two films were a rank or two higher. I do like Shinkai and particularly his Kotonoha no Niwa (Garden of Words). I look forward to his future films. But Kimi no Na wa - it's good but it's a bit overrated.
GohanwaOkazuJan 9, 2017 6:29 PM
Jan 9, 2017 7:20 AM

Feb 2016
yes, it's overrated. same as y'all favorite anime
Feb 25, 2017 9:28 PM

Mar 2014
It had a pretty slow beginning, but I feel like the movie fell off on Mitsuha's part. We never got to truly see her father speak to her again after the disaster that was for the most part avoided because she was told about the disaster. I really wanted to see Mitsuha and her father converse/confess given her father's interesting back story. I felt like her character was incomplete and suddenly 8 years later everything is okay with no explanation of her family relations given that it played a big role near the end of the movie.
I think this was one of the pieces that was meant to be put in when Shinkai said the movie didn't end as he planned due to the budget. Even Shinkai doesn't think that it should be that highly praised.
Given that it was incomplete, it certainly won't receive a 10 from me.
I feel that the reason why it was scored so highly on MAL was because many were so emotionally impacted by it that they either didn't care or didn't notice the movie's flaws. Although, I will admit that I did shed a few tears.
Feb 25, 2017 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
Yes its slightly overrated, yes very slightly.I think it should be not less than 8.80 but not more than 9.05
Feb 26, 2017 7:38 PM
Aug 2016
I highly disagree with that statement, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It is well deserving of it's #1 spot with a 9.34 rating.
Feb 27, 2017 7:07 AM
Jun 2015
The Score of this movie shows that 99% of MAL's users are KIDZ (in mind and perhaps in body too) and 1% have a good taste and can judge without seeing what others are doing. For my 8 years in the anime world, i never saw an anime so much overrated. YES , the sound is PERFECT, the Visuals and graphics are EXTRAORDINARY , BUT the characters+the story dont deserve a 4 so how this movie can be ranked 1 when there is 1000 anime better ???? Rly MAL users you disappoint me .....
Feb 27, 2017 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
Highly disagree, this is Shinkai's best work imo, and well deserved for that matter. Yet again, t's number one on MAL, there's gonna be edgy kids shitposting on things that are popular.
Feb 27, 2017 10:30 AM
Jan 2017
This movie gave me goose bumps. I don't think it is overrated and it deserves the praise it is getting.Imo it was better than Miyazaki's spirited away or my neighbour tororo and that's something as these both are masterpieces 10/10 well deserved...
Feb 27, 2017 1:51 PM

Jun 2009
Well ranking is about momentum too, it won't stay at first place forever.

simonswinslam said:
The Score of this movie shows that 99% of MAL's users are KIDZ (in mind and perhaps in body too) and 1% have a good taste and can judge without seeing what others are doing.

Fmc I enjoyed the story a lot. Maybe I still have a young heart in my grown-up body... :-)
But I didn't need to check others member's list to give a score of 10, what are you saying Ojisan?

Nurlela said:

That's totally it.
Feb 28, 2017 5:20 AM
Jun 2015
Zamoth said:

simonswinslam said:
The Score of this movie shows that 99% of MAL's users are KIDZ (in mind and perhaps in body too) and 1% have a good taste and can judge without seeing what others are doing.

Fmc I enjoyed the story a lot. Maybe I still have a young heart in my grown-up body... :-)
But I didn't need to check others member's list to give a score of 10, what are you saying Ojisan?

Nurlela said:

That's totally it.

From Someone who give Dimension W a 8 and then konosuba S2 a 7 what can i expect from you kozou ??
Feb 28, 2017 5:37 AM
Jun 2015
xGreyHound said:
I highly disagree with that statement, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It is well deserving of it's #1 spot with a 9.34 rating.

I_Awesome_Lavy said:
This movie gave me goose bumps. I don't think it is overrated and it deserves the praise it is getting.Imo it was better than Miyazaki's spirited away or my neighbour tororo and that's something as these both are masterpieces 10/10 well deserved...

When 2 people have 1 post each by commenting here !!! Temera stop creating accounts just to defend this sht
Feb 28, 2017 7:04 AM
Aug 2016
simonswinslam said:
xGreyHound said:

I_Awesome_Lavy said:

When 2 people have 1 post each by commenting here !!! Temera stop creating accounts just to defend this sht

Wtf are you even talking about? If you would've checked I've had an account since August, I just don't visit the forums because they're a cluster fuck just like this thread. All posts are completely one sided with no actual intelligent discussion. I respected your opinion that you didn't think the movie deserves the #1 spot, but you can't repspect mine.
xGreyHoundFeb 28, 2017 7:14 AM
Feb 28, 2017 11:06 AM

Jun 2009
simonswinslam said:
Zamoth said:

That's totally it.

From Someone who give Dimension W a 8 and then konosuba S2 a 7 what can i expect from you kozou ??

Don't worry, even if you are already an adult, it's never too late to learn kindness.
Feb 28, 2017 2:13 PM
Dec 2015
Meh it's a really good movie and I gave it a 9. In terms of being the top rated movie or anime in general then yea probably. It's no way better than spirited away or princess mononoke but neither is half the stuff that's ranked above them. There's always a group of people that don't like something or tear something down because it gets more recognition than what they like. I expect more people who think it's overrated in this comment section because it's in our nature to click on things or join threads that line up with our ideals. It plays to those people and I don't find this thread accurate on who likes or dislikes this film.
Mar 1, 2017 7:25 PM
Jun 2015
Zamoth said:
simonswinslam said:

Don't worry, even if you are already an adult, it's never too late to learn kindness.

What does kindness have to do with our conversation?? For you, even if i don't know your age, i say " It's never too late to make your own advices and stop copying what others did already said ... People with no opinions (like you) are like an egg from last year ! They are worthless"
Mar 2, 2017 10:04 AM

Jun 2009
simonswinslam said:
Zamoth said:

What does kindness have to do with our conversation?? For you, even if i don't know your age, i say " It's never too late to make your own advices and stop copying what others did already said ... People with no opinions (like you) are like an egg from last year ! They are worthless"

Does it helps?

Well that's why I don't spend so much time on MAL forum and social media in general. There are too many haters/trolls who attack the identity of people and destroys the atmosphere.
"Huh you disagree with me? You are sooo stupid ! Look at your avatar! Look how you rated that show! Look how few post you have! You get it ? You are shit! And I don't care about what you write."

But still you were right, there is something wortheless here: this conversation. You had enough fun with me, I am done. Feel free to post one more reply so you have the statisfaction of closing this discussion.
Mar 3, 2017 8:09 PM

Dec 2015
I put it at high score 4/5 but I dont think its even deserve the tittle of "Best Movie of 2016" like there are some awesome movie that overshadowed by Kimi no Na wa.... so... like its too overtalked and its sad :(
EufieMar 3, 2017 8:14 PM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Mar 3, 2017 11:11 PM

Apr 2015
The hype for the movie was real though, and it's overrated for a reason: because it's actually good.
Mar 3, 2017 11:16 PM

Apr 2013
I agree that it is overrated, though it is pretty great. Like many others have said, it would have worked better as a 1-cour anime and many movies are on par with it in overall quality.
Mar 4, 2017 12:39 AM

Oct 2015
here's how to check if it's overrated or not.
did some random dude made a video talking about best movie of 2016?
did he vote another movie instead of kimi no na wa?
did the fans attack him and shit on his taste?
if yes to all 3, you have an overrated series
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.