Forum Settings
Forums

Ok please explain to me this obsession with referring to America as Murica.

New
Mar 21, 2016 6:38 PM

Nov 2011
First off I'm no patriot I think this country has a ton of flaws and their are better places to live, and I have no issue with someone criticizing my country if it's constructive and thoughtful, but referring to America as Murica or American citizens as Muricans well it just makes you sound like youre 12. I mean most of you are smart enough to know the Damn Daniel meme is stupid and not particularly funny so why would you think saying Murica is clever or humurous?

I know the term was made to make fun of southern accents and patriotism though I assume most of you use it because you like to think Americans are all stupid and immature which ignoring the fact that's an ignorant generalization when you say Murica it makes you yourself look stupid and immature. I've seen this image pop up several times on this site and I feel this appropriate.

Mar 21, 2016 6:39 PM

Mar 2014
It's extremely hilarious and very original
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 21, 2016 6:40 PM
Mar 2013
It's a meme. Surprised it could bother someone tbh.
Mar 21, 2016 6:42 PM

Nov 2011
Comic_Sans said:

My sarcasm detector is going off the charts!
Mar 21, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2009
its just a meme derive from how americans pronounce it as "murica" instead of "ah-merika"
Mar 21, 2016 6:43 PM

Mar 2008
Murica is how rednecks say America. It's making fun of them. Although I do hate it though because rednecks only make up a minority of Americans.
Mar 21, 2016 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
JD2411 said:
It's a meme. Surprised it could bother someone tbh.
Its not the meme that bothers me but the fact people use it and don't realize how stupid it makes them sound.
Mar 21, 2016 6:46 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:
its just a meme derive from how americans pronounce it as "murica" instead of "ah-merika"
I've never heard anyone serously pronounce it Murica and I lived in the south most of my life.

traed said:
Murica is how rednecks say America. It's making fun of them. Although I do hate it though because rednecks only make up a minority of Americans.
I kinda mentioned that though.
Mar 21, 2016 6:46 PM

Oct 2015
I don't know, I personally hate that saying because I just find it annoying. I've heard a lot of Rednecks use it.
Mar 21, 2016 6:48 PM
Mar 2016
A meme never hurt anyone. God bless 'Murica!

Mar 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Comic_Sans said:

My sarcasm detector is going off the charts!
Sarcasm?

What sarcasm?

I was being 100 % serious
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained

Dec 2010
hm
well

I suggest finding a hobby, maybe

Mar 21, 2016 6:49 PM

Nov 2011
Flevalt said:
I find the term to be funny.
The same way I find black humor funny.

I wouldn't be so sure that most people using the term use it sarcastically or jokingly though.
US citizens clinging onto patriotism is not a rare sight.
Black humor can be clever though like in Life of Brian. Constantly making fun of the way southerners pronounce the name of their own country isn't particularly clever. Also it's probably more common to see Americans who think it's cool to hate their own country.
Mar 21, 2016 6:50 PM

Mar 2008
Waifu_Strangler said:
j0x said:
I've never heard anyone serously pronounce it Murica and I lived in the south most of my life.

traed said:

Well it pretty much answers it though. People just stereotype Americans by one type of American. A lot don't realize there are different subcultures in america.
Mar 21, 2016 6:51 PM

Jul 2015
it's a meme. usually used for sarcasm,
Mar 21, 2016 6:53 PM

Nov 2011
cumshotz said:
the term originates from nixon. the way i see it it's just making fun of blind patriotism in a cheeky way. not really a big deal.
Never said it was a big deal just saying it make people sound like immature children when they say it. Also most of the time I see it used people aren't even discussing American patriotism.
Mar 21, 2016 6:53 PM

Jun 2014
Some people here sucked the joke factor out of it and are using it casually which is kind of obnoxious.
Like if you're going to use the term, at least use it how it was intended to be
Mar 21, 2016 6:55 PM

Nov 2011
scruf4ls said:
it's a meme. usually used for sarcasm,
What? No? Really? I had no fucking clue! Thank you for Enlightening me!

traed said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Well it pretty much answers it though. People just stereotype Americans by one type of American. A lot don't realize there are different subcultures in america.
I doubt anyone who uses the internet honestly thinks all Americans are rednecks unless they truly are ignorant.
Mar 21, 2016 6:58 PM
Aug 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Flevalt said:
I find the term to be funny.
The same way I find black humor funny.

I wouldn't be so sure that most people using the term use it sarcastically or jokingly though.
US citizens clinging onto patriotism is not a rare sight.
Black humor can be clever though like in Life of Brian. Constantly making fun of the way southerners pronounce the name of their own country isn't particularly clever. Also it's probably more common to see Americans who think it's cool to hate their own country.

Thats not Black humour though.

I understand youre feeling that this 'Murica meme is a little overused but i havent really gotten this feeling on MAL.
Mar 21, 2016 7:10 PM

Mar 2008
Waifu_Strangler said:
I doubt anyone who uses the internet honestly thinks all Americans are rednecks unless they truly are ignorant.

Well yeah but they do judge by the lowest denominator just the same.
Mar 21, 2016 7:10 PM

Nov 2011
leNerd said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I understand youre feeling that this 'Murica meme is a little overused but i havent really gotten this feeling on MAL.
Wait what's not Black humor? Life of Brian was a prime example of black humor especially the ending with everyone singing while being crucified.
Mar 21, 2016 7:13 PM

Nov 2011
traed said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Well yeah but they do judge by the lowest denominator just the same.
There's worse we have in America than rednecks tbh.
Mar 21, 2016 7:14 PM

Jun 2015
Just people trying to be funny.
I don't hear or see it too often though.

Mar 21, 2016 7:22 PM
Aug 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
leNerd said:

Wait what's not Black humor? Life of Brian was a prime example of black humor especially the ending with everyone singing while being crucified.

No i meant that the whole 'Murica meme is not black humour. You propapbly didnt mean it that way so nevermind
Mar 21, 2016 7:41 PM

Nov 2011
leNerd said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

No i meant that the whole 'Murica meme is not black humour. You propapbly didnt mean it that way so nevermind

Oh lol. My bad then.

codephat said:
Just people trying to be funny.
I don't hear or see it too often though.
I see quite often on MAL.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

19 by _Nette_ »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

26 by Adnash »»
17 minutes ago

» Why don't boys wear dresses until they start working?

vasipi4946 - Nov 22, 2023

24 by Bruh69XD »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

31 by Bruh69XD »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.