Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 20, 2009 11:20 PM

Aug 2008
He dropped that little girl like rock! HA HA!
Jul 21, 2009 12:03 AM

Dec 2007
hijacked.
Jul 21, 2009 3:01 AM

Feb 2008
Falatorx said:
amcsi said:
Oh my god, Koyomi is so dumb! For 3/4 of the episode, Hitagi continuously is implying that she'd like to go out with Koyomi, who has no idea, and/or isn't acting about it, even though he gets like 30 chances during the episode. He makes me wanna cry.
The episode was a little boring, but it's all thanks to Koyomi, who's an idiot and unexciting. And what's with him beating the crap out of a little girl? Seriously now.

She spent most of the time insulting him though (as well as the last episode doing the same thing). I get the feeling he was torn between liking her or telling her to go screw herself. Even if he did like her (which he probably does), it would be impossible to tell if she was serious or just playing around with him to amuse herself based on her personality and past behavior.

No normal person without major personality disorders is going to respond favorably to that treatment for long.

The little girl did throw the first punch if i remember right. All is well that ends well.

If a girl keeps talking to you like that instead of ditching you, it most likely means she likes you. In a way, he was constantly being praised. (her insults can barely be called insults anyway). And if he doesn't know if the girl is playing around with him, the correct way isn't to sit around and say irrelevant bullshit like the douche, Koyomi, but actually initiate something meaningful, like men should be doing.
amcsiJul 21, 2009 3:06 AM

Jul 21, 2009 7:14 AM
Apr 2009
I didn't like how Hitagi's and Araragi's conversation took up over half of the episode, whilst it was something of an interesting conversation, it took up a lot of time.

What I do like, however, is Araragi's arse-kicking of Mayoi.

It's about time that media didn't present a vagina as a magical force-field.
Jul 21, 2009 9:09 AM

Sep 2006
Miccool said:
Tamaki-san said:
colnagojim said:
Good lord, Did anybody watch the superior subs version? It's worlds different than gg's and trash in comparison. I feel like I'm watching the epesode again for the first time.
Totally, and i didn't intended to watch GG's version, when GG finally released i decided to watch it... And Jesus mother fucking christ it was totally another version. Sorry but Superior is just a sack of diarreha. Next time I'll just wait.

This basically^

Totally couldn't understand the dialogue part with superior subs. Thought it was pretty boring until I rewatched it with gg subs. Also interesting backgrounds might I add.

Guys,
If you had some basic understanding of japanese, its obvious that the translator is just some weaboo who learned a few phrases from watching anime and most of the subs are made up. Pretty poor attempt at trollsubs I think, but it seems too many people are fooled...
KuisanagiJul 21, 2009 9:24 AM
Jul 21, 2009 9:47 AM

Mar 2008
That was absolutely brilliant and even beat S&W in terms of entertaining dialogues. I loved it and it was without a 2nd doubt the best episode of this new season so far.

At some points I really had to laugh, even though it's rather hard for anime to make me laugh. Especially the fight with the grade school kid was so wrong but somehow made me laugh hard.

Brilliant!
Jul 21, 2009 10:06 AM

Feb 2008
Oh and the words from Hitagi: "There is nothing I'm capable of doing about your smallness as a human being"
are a direct implication that she wants Koyomi to amke the first step.

Jul 21, 2009 1:01 PM

May 2009
This show seems to be getting better with each episode.

I liked how Hitagi was testing Koyomi by more or less saying that she likes him. Too bad Koyomi didn't really know how to cope with her flirting with him.

The small fight with Mayoi was fun. Even more when he gloated about her being defeated, only to realize that it was HE who did that in the first place.

The fanservice is an added bonus.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2009 3:13 PM

Jul 2009
Man, Koyomi thinks he's uninteresting or whatever, but wasn't he a vampire, and has helped people overcome whatever curses or things were placed on them? If only life was that entertaining. XD

Hitagi is a crazy evil girl.. But I kinda like her.. Somewhat reminds me of myself, at least, half the time. ;3
bwar!
Jul 21, 2009 3:55 PM

Jun 2009
DeathfireD said:
Suzune-chan said:
DarK_BalteR said:
Meh, okay episode I suppose. Koyomi is starting to show his true colors with constant chest and lips shots. Nice to see Hitagi in casual wear she looked more attractive than usual. I kind of got bored with the endless talk hoping something interesting will happen. I bet they had fun riding all those rides. Where were they anyway? it was like they were in some random endless white space with a map that says:

• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY
• NOT GUILTY
• GUILTY
• GUILTY

What's up with that?

I believe that is when he was trying to defend his case about her attacking him.
But that is just my impression.

It was a really good episode nonetheless.

It was like that before he even attacked her.

Sorry guess I didn't notice it until after that...

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 21, 2009 5:28 PM

Jul 2008
*Maniac laugh*
"There stood a high school boy who had seriously taken on a grade-school girl, seriously fought her, seriously won with a judo throw and seriously felt proud of himself... Wait, that's me ''

This scene made the whole episode.
Jul 21, 2009 6:12 PM

Jun 2008
The conversation was too long. And I fell asleep during the episode.
Jul 21, 2009 7:58 PM

Jan 2009
Forever said:
That was absolutely brilliant and even beat S&W in terms of entertaining dialogues.
You were drunk when you said this.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 21, 2009 11:45 PM

Jan 2008
Posts removed

Talk about the episode, not have an argument over animation studios.
Jul 22, 2009 4:22 PM

Mar 2009
For those who say this episode had too much talking..

I believe this is the style of the anime? From episode 1, that's what it felt like. But there's a way of representing the style.

The use of colours - did the park look like something from Mirror's Edge? ;]

I don't know, it feels promising this anime; usually not something I'd watch. But it looks good.
Jul 23, 2009 1:19 PM

Nov 2008
seravleeh said:

Koyomi's eyes turn red...?

He Is partial vampire, lol.. reason why he was able to see that far

Jul 24, 2009 8:44 AM

Oct 2007
Araragi was freaking awesome. Also for a dialogue only episode this was still pretty interesting. Guess this is one of those shows that you can never tell wich direction they will take.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jul 25, 2009 3:00 AM

Jan 2008
After seeing the first two episodes, it got me thinking that SHAFT has been doing this style since then and it somehow gets a li'l boring.
Jul 28, 2009 9:13 PM

Oct 2007
interesting ep but man that girl can be cruel
Jul 28, 2009 9:54 PM
Jul 2008
Good ep. Love the art style of this show, never seen anything like it (in an anime that is).

All the talking didn't bother me at all. I rather enjoy their inane conversations, mostly because the presentation compliments the conversations so well. Keeps it interesting.

That fight with the grade-schooler was all kinds of awesome. Or was it Araragi's sudden realisation afterwards...?
Jul 30, 2009 12:04 AM

Mar 2008
Good episode. Didn't really go anywhere or do anything interesting besides Araragi pwning a little kid tho.
Jul 30, 2009 9:45 PM

Jun 2009
Them staying at the park for most of the episode was kind of brilliant, in a slow-ish kind of way. I normally like my anime to be constantly insane, haha, but I'm fully enjoying the visual presentation and character building so far.

That, and I want to play in that park. The rail cycles and shit are incredible. Playgrounds make me moist.

sukari said:
The use of colours - did the park look like something from Mirror's Edge? ;]

Agreed, in a great way.
Jul 31, 2009 3:02 PM

Dec 2008
holy shit rofl he beat up a gradeshcooler.
his explanation contrasting with what happend was lols
Aug 1, 2009 12:37 AM

Jan 2008
For an episode full of dialogues this wasn't that bad. Best part was when he beat up a little girl and was actually proud of it.
Aug 2, 2009 5:51 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Brilliant episode, Shaft sure is amazing. Loved this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 2, 2009 5:55 AM

Feb 2008
Congratulations Koyomi, you just knocked out a grade schooler.
Aug 3, 2009 12:01 AM

May 2008
Ugh, she cares too much about her looks.

And goes on about being a woman too much.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 4, 2009 4:30 AM

Aug 2009
This episode felt kinda boring, almost weird too... But I'm still lovin' it! XD
Aug 5, 2009 2:50 PM

Mar 2008
The first half of the episode was kind of boring, but the part with the little girl was very funny and just when things were about to get interesting the episode ended... I can't wait for the next one :).
Aug 5, 2009 3:36 PM

Jun 2008
maxime1007 said:
*Maniac laugh*
"There stood a high school boy who had seriously taken on a grade-school girl, seriously fought her, seriously won with a judo throw and seriously felt proud of himself... Wait, that's me ''

This scene made the whole episode.

Haha, true.
Aug 6, 2009 2:54 AM

Jul 2008
As most of the people on here have already said, with any production studio other than SHAFT the nonstop dialogue in this episode would have bored me to death . I actually found the conversation between Koyomi and Hitagi to be pretty interesting. The end part with Koyomi beating up the little girl was hilarious, especially when he realizes how wrong it was of him and that he used all of his strength to do it.
Aug 6, 2009 4:31 PM

Sep 2007
I didn't laugh once. :/
This episode was just a prelude to introducing to a new character.

Aug 10, 2009 11:43 PM

Oct 2007
Fell in love with the series with this episode and laughed through the entire second half
Aug 11, 2009 11:52 AM

Apr 2009
You know, someone a while back suggested that if Shaft did Haruhi, that even Endless Eight would be entertaining.
I would be all over that in a heartbeat. Shaft is very good at creepy, surreal animation, and what would be more surreal and creepy than being caught in a universe that a hyperactive schoolgirl your age had created on a whim?

I liked this episode. I think the previous one was more interesting overall, and the contrast between the animation quality of this and the previous two eps. was a little jarring to me. Still, better than a lot of shows I've seen in that regard and still pretty interesting.

"I'm not a pervert!" he says to Hitagi, while bending down a little to look underneath her skirt. That made the episode for me.
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Aug 13, 2009 3:01 AM

Apr 2009
'Could you secretly be a siscon?' XD
Araragi is EPIC. He took down a kid, for Pete's sake. I'm building him a shrine.

The last scene intrigued me very much.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 16, 2009 11:53 AM

Jun 2008
cyruz said:
Aug 18, 2009 12:17 AM

Jan 2009
Gotta be careful of them karate loli's.
Aug 18, 2009 3:56 PM
Feb 2009
Damn, that little girl is feisty xD
Then again, so are most kids I know these days.
Oh and love Hitagi's outfit.
Aug 21, 2009 2:18 PM

Aug 2009
Nothing happed but that was amazingly good episode ^^
Aug 24, 2009 12:39 PM

Jun 2008
Another great episodes. So much dialog in this series, it's definitely one you need subs for, unless you know Japanese that is.
Aug 27, 2009 2:08 PM

Aug 2007
Incredibly, incredibly boring. How anyone can call that banter amazing floors me.
Sep 4, 2009 2:55 AM

Jun 2008
Falatorx said:
I REALLY hope that every episode doesn't consist of Hitagi insulting Koyomi over and over for 15 minutes.

It was funny the first time, but having nearly the exact same situation played out again is kind of hard to justify. Only difference was she was a sliver softer on him and seemed to like him in her own dominating way (a shifty way to suggest she should be his girlfriend seemingly). I had thought she became much nicer at the end of the last episode, but i guess her old personality came back right away.

I found the first two episodes quite good, but this one is definitely losing steam. Hopefully it is the exception, rather than the rule.

This describes exactly how i felt after this episode. I was disappointed. And where was that change we saw at the end of episode 2?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Zero_r2 said:
it felt like i was watching zetsubou sensei, interesant episode

Yeah i got that feeling too. And that is not positive for me. I wanted something different this time.
MonadSep 4, 2009 2:59 AM
Sep 4, 2009 6:08 PM

Sep 2008
the_muteKi said:
"I'm not a pervert!" he says to Hitagi, while bending down a little to look underneath her skirt. That made the episode for me.

This. I lol'd, so ironic xD;;
Meh, overall a decent episode. Not bad, not good. Disappointing after the last episode's amazing-ness D: Bored me a couple times...that part with the kid at the end annoyed me. Had some good moments, though.
Hoping it'll get really awesome again~
Sep 26, 2009 10:52 PM

Apr 2009
Mayoi said:
Don't talk to me. I hate you!

He got pwned by a Grade-schooler. ;D

And Hitagi looks pretty good in that outfit.

"Free Falcon Punch for Everybody!"|Nani?|MCC Badge|
Sep 27, 2009 6:03 PM

Sep 2008
This whole anime seems to be going more and more downhill. An entire episode wasted on NOTHING. Only good part in this episode was the end where he beat the kid down and it was saying about how he seriously beat down a kid and felt proud. That was worth a big laugh but wouldn't ever redeem this episode.

Kittenia said:
cyruz said:
lol at you people. Will you just eat anything SHAFT gives you even if it's complete garbage like this episode? I can see that this show is receiving incredibly large fan bias already just as I had predicted before it aired.
5layerSep 29, 2009 6:58 AM
Sep 30, 2009 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
man this episode took like an hour XD
lots of dialogs @_@

anyway awesome series 8D
Oct 3, 2009 7:50 AM

Jun 2009
the dialogs were kinda big. i'm used to things like this but I didn't expected that on that anime.. it was kinda confusing.

but it was ok, it was a really nice dialog, and I lol'd my ass up when he beat up the loli. AND PROUDLY STARTED TO LAUGH LIKE CRAZY.

and to think that I thought that senjougahara was the freako.
Oct 4, 2009 5:49 AM

Jul 2008
how will attack lite girl
and whay he go to her in first place
Oct 8, 2009 4:45 AM

Jul 2009
5layer said:
This whole anime seems to be going more and more downhill. An entire episode wasted on NOTHING. Only good part in this episode was the end where he beat the kid down and it was saying about how he seriously beat down a kid and felt proud. That was worth a big laugh but wouldn't ever redeem this episode.

Kittenia said:
cyruz said:
lol at you people. Will you just eat anything SHAFT gives you even if it's complete garbage like this episode? I can see that this show is receiving incredibly large fan bias already just as I had predicted before it aired.

Pretty much sums up what I'm thinking too.

The dialogue was somewhat amusing at first but quickly got boring and repetitive, the only fun and entertaining part in this episode lasted for about 20seconds when he beat the snail girl up and realised how pathetic that was xD
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

688 by JigglypuffSenpai »»
7 hours ago

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

6 by ichinose06 »»
Apr 27, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.