Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 26, 2009 4:10 PM

Jun 2009
it's a part of the school curriculum
Aug 26, 2009 9:17 PM
Jan 2009
mrmuk said:
IMHO it is quite useless. It's ok to get an overall imagination of what happened in past time, specially, what happened wrong and how to avoid doing it again and so on. But really, that's it. I really don't need detailed informations about it. In my opinion, this subject sucks. It's actually totally uncreative and just like looking at something.
It is interpreting a book instead of writing yourself a new one.
Well, it's just my opinion, I'm open to arguments against this statement! :-)

It doesn't seem pratical to look to the past, but you have to realize that we are what we are because of the past, so it seems like a no brainer to learn how we got here. Of course it's all a matter of preferences, suppose you land on a road, some people might look ahead to see what's there, but some people might look back to see how they got there.
Aug 26, 2009 9:32 PM

Feb 2008
-Shio said:

It doesn't seem pratical to look to the past, but you have to realize that we are what we are because of the past, so it seems like a no brainer to learn how we got here. Of course it's all a matter of preferences, suppose you land on a road, some people might look ahead to see what's there, but some people might look back to see how they got there.

Is that one of those "Make a choice...." You make a choice..."By looking back, you manage to avoid an on comming car about to hit you, but you missed your ride up the road and now are going to die in the desert." Or "By looking forward, you see the ride that will help you get off the road, but did not see the oncomming car, therefore were hit by it and died?"

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Aug 26, 2009 9:36 PM
Jan 2009
Sayalol said:
-Shio said:

Is that one of those "Make a choice...." You make a choice..."By looking back, you manage to avoid an on comming car about to hit you, but you missed your ride up the road and now are going to die in the desert." Or "By looking forward, you see the ride that will help you get off the road, but did not see the oncomming car, therefore were hit by it and died?"

Actually I meant the differences in people change how they see the world, some like looking at the past, some don't. Just as you said, make a choice, either way it's the same result, but it's how you get there that matters.
Aug 26, 2009 10:07 PM

Jan 2009
I think i got it worse, i have to learn history to write an English assessed course. History in English? wow isnt the curriculum awesome
Needs more Drill Hair.
Aug 26, 2009 10:13 PM

Feb 2008
LaiLidE said:
I think i got it worse, i have to learn history to write an English assessed course. History in English? wow isnt the curriculum awesome

Not surprising..."English" class itself involves anything involving the English language really. History just happens to be one of those things.

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Aug 26, 2009 10:19 PM

Jun 2009
Do people actually believe we study this to avoid repeating our past mistakes? Because that's hilarious. We're reliving plenty of worldwide mistakes in real time, most of the time. Here's the real lesson: People never change. Keep a close note on all of our mistakes now, because watching them happen again in X years will be epic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 26, 2009 10:21 PM

Feb 2008
mightykid218 said:
Do people actually believe we study this to avoid repeating our past mistakes? Because that's hilarious. We're reliving plenty of worldwide mistakes in real time, most of the time. Here's the real lesson: People never change. Keep a close note on all of our mistakes now, because watching them happen again in X years will be epic.

Well, some people say we learn and build from the mistakes so not to make the same. Maybe they mean to not make the same mistake, but make an even bigger one?

Aug 26, 2009 10:24 PM

Jun 2009
Sayalol said:
mightykid218 said:

Well, some people say we learn and build from the mistakes so not to make the same. Maybe they mean to not make the same mistake, but make an even bigger one?

But it's still the same mistake even then, just magnified. Or lessened, but what I'm saying is people never change in any way. Teenage years aside, since they change every day. That's normal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 26, 2009 10:28 PM

Feb 2008
mightykid218 said:

But it's still the same mistake even then, just magnified. Or lessened, but what I'm saying is people never change in any way. Teenage years aside, since they change every day. That's normal.

Basically, you're saying personality changes, nature does not.

Aug 26, 2009 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
Sayalol said:
mightykid218 said:

Maybe. I think teenagers flop around cause they're like fetuses. Fully developed adults, they're pretty much wired. There's good ones and bad ones, and they can't "have an revelation" like so many fags think they can. Bad people are bad, good ones are good. No inbetween.
Aug 26, 2009 10:45 PM
Jan 2009
mightykid218 said:
Sayalol said:
mightykid218 said:

Maybe. I think teenagers flop around cause they're like fetuses. Fully developed adults, they're pretty much wired. There's good ones and bad ones, and they can't "have an revelation" like so many fags think they can. Bad people are bad, good ones are good. No inbetween.

It's human nature to hope.
Aug 27, 2009 2:52 AM

Aug 2008
Well they say it is their desperate hope that it will enlighten generations to not make the same mistakes as their ancestors, but even just looking at the past one hundred years of American History will obviously show it isn't quite doing it's job.
Aug 27, 2009 9:15 AM
Jan 2009
Tsurayu said:
Well they say it is their desperate hope that it will enlighten generations to not make the same mistakes as their ancestors, but even just looking at the past one hundred years of American History will obviously show it isn't quite doing it's job.

We made those mistakes in the first place for a reason and you'd think we'd learn, but not. Time also changes things, I doubt our ancestors would have worried about global warming.
Aug 27, 2009 5:09 PM

Jun 2009
-Shio said:
mightykid218 said:
Sayalol said:
mightykid218 said:

It's human nature to hope.

Yeah. It's also human nature to fight, go to war, and seek total domination over everything around us. We aren't the kings of the food chain for nothing. But I'll give you hope, because human nature contradicts itself, but still functions. That's also why I never got why people hate contradiction so much, since it's natural.
Aug 27, 2009 7:39 PM

Feb 2008
-Shio said:

We made those mistakes in the first place for a reason and you'd think we'd learn, but not. Time also changes things, I doubt our ancestors would have worried about global warming.

Shouldn't be worring about it now in my opinion. We are were we're at out of our own actions. Most people will do what they've always done and wont change because someone says some stuff about it. Some will try and change, but majority wont, and all that does is slow the process down. No matter what anyone says, Global warming wont stop, it can be slowed, but that's about it.

mightykid218 said:
Yeah. It's also human nature to fight, go to war, and seek total domination over everything around us. We aren't the kings of the food chain for nothing. But I'll give you hope, because human nature contradicts itself, but still functions. That's also why I never got why people hate contradiction so much, since it's natural.

The entire human race is full of irony. Humans tend to forget that they're animals. They have the same instict of dominance, survival, and all that other good stuff.

Aug 27, 2009 7:43 PM

May 2009
This thread makes me think of LOGH. Still using military tactics used during ground battles from thousands of years ago in space foolish humans >.>

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Aug 27, 2009 8:08 PM

Jun 2009
Sayalol said:
-Shio said:

Shouldn't be worring about it now in my opinion. We are were we're at out of our own actions. Most people will do what they've always done and wont change because someone says some stuff about it. Some will try and change, but majority wont, and all that does is slow the process down. No matter what anyone says, Global warming wont stop, it can be slowed, but that's about it.

mightykid218 said:

The entire human race is full of irony. Humans tend to forget that they're animals. They have the same instict of dominance, survival, and all that other good stuff.

Yes. Exactly. We're the strongest species of animal life. For all we know we won't be someday. Actually, that's probably inevitable, but who knows when.
Aug 27, 2009 9:03 PM

Apr 2009
We look to the past to prevent the same disastors from happening again and to better prepare/predict future events.
Aug 27, 2009 9:06 PM

Feb 2008
Alexrose40 said:
We look to the past to prevent the same disastors from happening again and to better prepare/predict future events.

See, people keep saying this..but clearly this is false on the fact that we continuosly make the same mistakes.

Aug 27, 2009 9:09 PM

Jun 2009
Sayalol said:
Alexrose40 said:

See, people keep saying this..but clearly this is false on the fact that we continuosly make the same mistakes.

Well, I wouldn't blame that particular post. At this point I think it's people seeing the topic name and rushing to the final page to post their opinion. Ironically, it just so happens that everyone thinks this.
Aug 27, 2009 9:12 PM

Apr 2009
mightykid218 said:
Sayalol said:
-Shio said:

mightykid218 said:

Yes. Exactly. We're the strongest species of animal life. For all we know we won't be someday. Actually, that's probably inevitable, but who knows when.
mightykid218 said:
Sayalol said:
-Shio said:

mightykid218 said:

mightykid218 said:
Sayalol said:
-Shio said:

mightykid218 said:

mightykid218 said:
Sayalol said:
-Shio said:

mightykid218 said:

People are so full of themselves. Just because we "supposedly" have higher intelligence we call our selves on the top of the food chain. We are out matched in strength, speed, flying, and animal instinct by most of animal life. Have we ever stopped to notice how other animals are able to flee from danger way before that certain problem occurs? More people get killed by each other then any other species, and we're the ones called civilized.
Aug 27, 2009 9:24 PM
Jan 2009
People are so full of themselves. Just because we "supposedly" have higher intelligence we call our selves on the top of the food chain. We are out matched in strength, speed, flying, and animal instinct by most of animal life. Have we ever stopped to notice how other animals are able to flee from danger way before that certain problem occurs? More people get killed by each other then any other species, and we're the ones called civilized.

The reason we do these things is because we have intelligence, because we have more complex desires than just to survive and pass on your young, basically more than just base instincts. It's just how it is, if people didn't feel pride or have opinions, we'd never see any arguements, if we weren't smart enough to invent weapons, we'd have a much harder time killing off each other. It's our intelligence that seperates us from animals. But, hey, I'd rather live a miserable life knowing I was miserable than live out my life just to make babies then die.
Aug 27, 2009 9:36 PM

Feb 2008
Alexrose40 said:

People are so full of themselves. Just because we "supposedly" have higher intelligence we call our selves on the top of the food chain.

Actually, we are. If we weren't, we would not be in control of the world. Fact is, we can pretty much kill any animal, not with our own hands, but with wepons our "intelligence" allowed us to make. Something of which any other anime has been unable to do. "Top of the Food chain" means the ones that dominate in there "region." We dominate over any other animal because of our intelligence, it's just that simple.

Alexrose40 said:

We are out matched in strength, speed, flying, and animal instinct by most of animal life.
No, we're not. An M16 can kill someone faster than a tiger could. Strength doesn't have to come from the actual person. Every animal has something that makes them what they are. Tigers have claws, rabits can burrow, etc..etc..We have wepons, strategic thought (as do alot of animals), we can reason, etc..etc... Just because by our selves we aren't really a match, that means nothing. Strength, we have swords, sheilds, guns, a wide veriety of wepons that can kill anything. Flight, we have things such as the SR-71, we also have animal instinct. We know when we're in the face of danger. We know what we have to do to survive and live.
Have we ever stopped to notice how other animals are able to flee from danger way before that certain problem occurs?
Not every animal flees from the danager.
More people get killed by each other then any other species, and we're the ones called civilized.
I'm sorry. You read this statistic where?
SayalolAug 27, 2009 9:41 PM

Aug 27, 2009 9:39 PM
Aug 27, 2009 9:39 PM

Jun 2008
As to try to prevent making the same mistakes our ancestors did.

/thread
I'm back.
Aug 27, 2009 9:56 PM

Apr 2009
More people get killed by each other then any other species, and we're the ones called civilized.

Think of it this way, in world war 1 the total amount of deaths for germany alone caused by other humans overall is just under 7.4 million. What about the rest of the world? deaths in England, France, and the rest of the world. It was a very costly war. That's just World war 2. What about the deaths in the civil war, World war 1, French Indian war, the every day stuff like people just randomly shooting people off the street, the wars before they wrote them down, wars in other countries, figthing over weapons in other countires, and etc. Oh what fun humans can do! T_T
Aug 27, 2009 10:09 PM
Jan 2009
Alexrose40 said:

Think of it this way, in world war 1 the total amount of deaths for germany alone caused by other humans overall is just under 7.4 million. What about the rest of the world? deaths in England, France, and the rest of the world. It was a very costly war. That's just World war 2. What about the deaths in the civil war, World war 1, French Indian war, the every day stuff like people just randomly shooting people off the street, the wars before they wrote them down, wars in other countries, figthing over weapons in other countires, and etc. Oh what fun humans can do! T_T

You make it sound like people die of murders every day.
Aug 27, 2009 10:16 PM

Apr 2009
-Shio said:

There are approx. 6,790,062,216 murders in the world at this minute according to government out 1000 population/8.2 persons 8.2 die. That is averaging about 155,500 a day. That is about more than 2 people per second. Even though you may not grasp it about 20-30 people died in the time it took you to read this.
Aug 27, 2009 10:21 PM
Jan 2009
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

There are approx. 6,790,062,216 murders in the world at this minute according to government out 1000 population/8.2 persons 8.2 die. That is averaging about 155,500 a day. That is about more than 2 people per second. Even though you may not grasp it about 20-30 people died in the time it took you to read this.

Wow, I didn't know that. Kinda forgot about some parts of it I guess.
But, your view of humans is kinda onesided. You keep looking at the horrible things our intelligence has done to people. Sure, people die, but would they stop dying if we were animals? If anything, human achievements have saved lives that would have normally ended much sooner. Not only that, with current conditions, we've extended our lifespans quite a bit, compared to the middle ages, where if you were 20, you were middle aged. So, yeah, we're vicious and we kill off each other, but we save plenty of people too.
Aug 27, 2009 10:27 PM

Apr 2009
-Shio said:
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

But, your view of humans is kinda onesided. You keep looking at the horrible things our intelligence has done to people. Sure, people die, but would they stop dying if we were animals? If anything, human achievements have saved lives that would have normally ended much sooner. Not only that, with current conditions, we've extended our lifespans quite a bit, compared to the middle ages, where if you were 20, you were middle aged. So, yeah, we're vicious and we kill off each other, but we save plenty of people too.

My one sidedness is just because I've had a irritable day, with many irritable people. x]
They should put a rant forum on this thing. . .
Aug 27, 2009 10:39 PM

May 2007
Scud said:
Because it's interesting.
It shows how dumb humanity was, and still is.

I must say that history is the most important, and interesting subject out of the basic ones.
It envolves philosophy, geography, logic, and more all in a single subject.

Its also an excellent subejct to use during a conversation.

My gramps said:
If you have not seen any usefull use in history classes, either your professor failed to teach you, or you are just another mediocre person.

Seems it applies here too.

I see you changed your opinion. That's remarkable.

It really pisses me off when i see people of my age or more saying history is useless.
In my opinion people who think that are the useless ones.

Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

My one sidedness is just because I've had a irritable day, with many irritable people. x]
They should put a rant forum on this thing. . .
You might be pissed off my friend, but what you said still is valid. Every single world of it.
Aug 27, 2009 10:50 PM

Jun 2009
Humans kill eachother, who fucking cares, we can't stop it. Most species are capbale of killing each other, and to actually see someone saying we're arrogant for thinking we are the strongest....what the hell? Sure, birds can fly, bears would win fist fights...we made guns. We made guns that are so powerful, the Geneva Convention says we can't even legally fire them on human targets. And we're not the dominant race. That's something I haven't heard before. How did we get on the topic of human destruction anyways? There is one other thing about inhabiting the peg we do, and that's a rather large, frequently breeding population. Another big ass number is how often babies are born here. I already know steep homicide stats because my hometown, well city, but homecity sounds bad, has the highest homicide rate in the entire eastern seaboard. And if I recall, that stat is a murder every few hours, or something like that. Yet with that many killings, there are still people everywhere. So really, it doesn't matter, and history tells us it doesn't stop, so getting our panties bunched up over how evil we all are is a waste of our limited lifespans. Spend it only caring about you, it'll be much more rewarding.
Aug 28, 2009 5:29 AM

Feb 2008
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

So, what about the animals, such as lions or wolves, that kill other animals every single day for food or to become alpha male, etc..etc...

Aug 28, 2009 6:41 AM
Jan 2009
mightykid218 said:
How did we get on the topic of human destruction anyways?

I think we were talking about how horrible human mistakes were.
Aug 28, 2009 10:30 AM

Apr 2009
Sayalol said:
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

So, what about the animals, such as lions or wolves, that kill other animals every single day for food or to become alpha male, etc..etc...

And what of it? Yes they do kill for a living, but they're rarely in contact with other lions, wolves, and etc. in other prides/packs. Plus, maybe a moose or zebra for a week would be enough food. As for alpha males, they usually show off and the loser leaves the pride/pack, No killing involved.
Aug 28, 2009 10:56 AM
Jan 2009
Alexrose40 said:
Sayalol said:
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

And what of it? Yes they do kill for a living, but they're rarely in contact with other lions, wolves, and etc. in other prides/packs. Plus, maybe a moose or zebra for a week would be enough food. As for alpha males, they usually show off and the loser leaves the pride/pack, No killing involved.

So you're saying that you wanna be an animal?
Aug 28, 2009 11:30 AM

Jul 2009
-Shio said:
Alexrose40 said:
Sayalol said:
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

That made no sense. How is that implying that he wants to be an animal? I think he's trying to demonstrate that animals rarely kill other animals and when they do its because of hunger or fear of another animal. Humans sometimes kill for the silliest of reasons, I am by no means a moralfag but I can at least take the time and look at things reasonably from his viewpoint.

Aug 28, 2009 1:58 PM

Apr 2009
-Shio said:

I don't know how that's relavent, but yes. It'd be more fun to run, fly, or etc. freely. Unless you're in a cage, then no. =]
Aug 28, 2009 2:02 PM

Apr 2009
We learn history because it makes all the French jokes twice as funny.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Aug 28, 2009 2:02 PM
Jan 2009
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

I don't know how that's relavent, but yes. It'd be more fun to run, fly, or etc. freely. Unless you're in a cage, then no. =]

You keep talking about how horrible humans are, and how great animals are.
Aug 28, 2009 2:08 PM

Jul 2009
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

Your cognitive thought process is flawed. You could be winning this argument but instead choose to indulge on shio's baseless points. For a person I met online I'm deeply disappointed in you. I don't know if its just kindness on your part or sheer stupidity, you stupid woman.

In conclusion you not only lack the common sense and reasoning ability to make a sound argument but if you were to become an animal you'd probably be a chicken because we all know how retarded those are.

Aug 28, 2009 2:14 PM
Jan 2009
Your cognitive thought process is flawed. You could be winning this argument but instead choose to indulge on shio's baseless points. For a person I met online I'm deeply disappointed in you. I don't know if its just kindness on your part or sheer stupidity, you stupid woman.

In conclusion you not only lack the common sense and reasoning ability to make a sound argument but if you were to become an animal you'd probably be a chicken because we all know how retarded those are.

W-who gives a crap again?
Aug 28, 2009 2:15 PM

Jul 2009
-Shio said:

Come now, if you really didn't give a crap you wouldn't have dragged your rancid ass over here and replied.

Aug 28, 2009 2:18 PM
Jan 2009
Maoh-Sama said:
-Shio said:

Come now, if you really didn't give a crap you wouldn't have dragged your rancid ass over here and replied.

Can't resist pointing out other's fail sometimes.
Aug 28, 2009 2:19 PM

Jul 2009
-Shio said:
Maoh-Sama said:
-Shio said:

I suppose you do have somewhat of edge over others, considering that you are a failure yourself.

Aug 28, 2009 2:21 PM

Apr 2009
Maoh-Sama said:
Alexrose40 said:
-Shio said:

Excuse Me? Have you realised we're just talking on the computer with people we've never met in real life? Those of you who get too involved in something that's pointless due to the arguements and you end up makeing people hate me is no fun to me. Haveing to deal with less immature person then yourself is also very trouble some.

OH and by the way, “The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him”. =]
Aug 28, 2009 2:22 PM
Jan 2009
Maoh-Sama said:
-Shio said:
Maoh-Sama said:
-Shio said:

I suppose you do have somewhat of edge over others, considering that you are a failure yourself.

I'm sorry did I damage your ego?
Aug 28, 2009 2:24 PM

Jul 2009
-Shio said:
Maoh-Sama said:
-Shio said:
Maoh-Sama said:
-Shio said:

I'm sorry did I damage your ego?

*chuckles*
You're quite amusing for an imbecile.

Aug 28, 2009 2:25 PM

Apr 2009
Sheesh, is the only thing you guys know how to do is bash heads!?! Life's no fun when people are too serious.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.