Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 11, 2009 10:02 PM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Quick resume. Me liked the misunderstanding being cleared up about Welkin. The tank Blue! Sugoi Tank! Sugoi Tank! Me think of it being a Panther I or II but it can as good as the Leopard 2.

Isara was very good at dodging bullets of tanks! Me sad that Alicia's army got wounded and some killed. :( Part of war that I understand. Blue tank kills: 4! Nice! Most O_O was when windmills got hit and burning.

Discussion opener:

Blue Tank has deflective armor! It looks to have better defense than best Russian tank T-90! With this Alicia's army might win!

R.I.P. commander.....baka, baka, baka! He went so fast engine was broken and commander was sitting duck! T_T for him being stupid. Same mistake as Japanese did in Midway.

Anyone think Welkin look good in uniform???

I think battles really good. Made me think of WW2 again. Grand-parents involved in this. Me remember Nagasaki and Hiroshima! I also think Alicia is getting on my favorites of anime characters. Sorry for long txt, me just think if I open discussion me should write a little more.
japanme32Apr 11, 2009 10:06 PM
Apr 11, 2009 10:15 PM
Mar 2009
japanme32 said:
Me think of it being a Panther I or II but it can as good as the Leopard 2.

I haven't watched the episode yet but I would say the Edelweiss is like a very quick King Tiger.
Apr 11, 2009 10:38 PM

Jan 2009
TheTallest said:
japanme32 said:
Me think of it being a Panther I or II but it can as good as the Leopard 2.

I haven't watched the episode yet but I would say the Edelweiss is like a very quick King Tiger.

Edelweiss is what they call it. Nice German name! No way King Tiger. Me know tanks. King Tiger way bigger than that! Leopard 2 but more like 1 but quicker.

The armor really made me O_O because me think it would hit it but more absorbed not deflect.
Apr 11, 2009 11:20 PM
Mar 2009
japanme32 said:

Edelweiss is what they call it. Nice German name! No way King Tiger. Me know tanks. King Tiger way bigger than that! Leopard 2 but more like 1 but quicker.

The armor really made me O_O because me think it would hit it but more absorbed not deflect.

Edelweiss
http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vctankedelweiss.jpg
King Tiger
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panzervitigeriiporsche1.jpg
Leopard 2
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leopard/images/leop113.jpg

Notice the similarities between the Edelweiss and the King Tiger? Sloping Armour and a single front light? Notice how the leopard 2 has neither of these?

Its basically a slightly smaller and quicker King Tiger. Its actually one of the biggest normal tanks in the game.
Apr 12, 2009 12:34 AM

Jan 2009
TheTallest said:
japanme32 said:

Edelweiss
http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vctankedelweiss.jpg
King Tiger
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panzervitigeriiporsche1.jpg
Leopard 2
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leopard/images/leop113.jpg

Notice the similarities between the Edelweiss and the King Tiger? Sloping Armour and a single front light? Notice how the leopard 2 has neither of these?

Its basically a slightly smaller and quicker King Tiger. Its actually one of the biggest normal tanks in the game.

My final reply to this is after me looking, I find it look more King Tiger with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H26258,_Panzer_V_%22Panther%22.jpg
I was thinking Panther or Leopard.

So to me it means is like a breed between them. You were right 50% but I got the other 50%. Yes?
Apr 13, 2009 12:10 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nice follow up, not as good as episode one though. Still, looking forward to more and getting to know Welkin's true role.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 13, 2009 2:05 PM

Dec 2007
If only the game's tank was that fast.... -_-

Anyway, nice episode, I love the style and the bgm. Can't wait for the next episode and the introduction of the other characters :D

Oh, by the way...the historical genre tag should really be removed from this anime. There's nothing historical about it, besides that the setting is influenced by WW2......
yakisobapanApr 13, 2009 2:27 PM
Apr 13, 2009 2:14 PM

Jun 2008
Badass tank.
Apr 13, 2009 2:35 PM

Jan 2008
The armor deflection was nice, although the fact it didn't even scratch the paint made it look far less realistic...
WW2 tanks starting from the T-34 already had deflective armor, it's why lighter German anti-tank weapons had so much trouble with them.

I wonder if this was what happened in the game, take one tank against an entire army. I mean yeah prototype tank is badass but the setup gave me the decisive feel of the stormtrooper effect at work again...
Apr 13, 2009 3:44 PM

May 2008
Didn't like this episode as much as the first, but still good. Looking forward to what happens next.
Apr 13, 2009 3:46 PM

Aug 2008
I actually think this was a better episode than the first if only because it was sparse on the annoying children and the fainting girl. Also, was anyone else as entranced by the dust and smoke the Edelweiss kicked up when it fired it's first shot?

So far, I'm liking the pace of the show. It doesn't seem to be harping on unimportant characters or events just because it was in the game, which is a really good thing in my opinion. Oh, and I'm really liking Welkin more as he gets more screentime, so I hope that doesn't change. And Alicia isn't nearly as annoying as most protagonists are (especially in videogames).
Apr 13, 2009 3:47 PM
Dec 2007
Nice little episode, everything was very predictable but Marina Inoue as Alicia just sets the deal for me. Good episode overall, but I hope it will become far better in the future !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 13, 2009 3:50 PM

Feb 2009
I liked it! cant wait to see more ^_^
Apr 13, 2009 4:15 PM

Oct 2007
Man, I love Alicia's reactions. Her facial expressions are so hilarious/endearing.

Who built that tank? Porsche? That thing flies.

So um, why didn't they bother to use the supertank from the beginning of the battle? I know the town watch leader didn't want them to, but it seems like it would've been better than just to watch everyone else die and get hurt.
Apr 13, 2009 4:15 PM

May 2008
Not as good as 1st episode imo, but i still liked it.
Apr 13, 2009 4:21 PM

Jul 2007
Apr 13, 2009 4:25 PM

Sep 2007
Suzie looks so useless.
Apr 13, 2009 4:53 PM

Apr 2009
It'll be good if they pick up the pacing. Atm, it's much too slow for its own good.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 13, 2009 5:00 PM

Feb 2009
I don't remember the Edelweiss being a rally car in the game. It felt like they were playing Battlefield 1942, if you know what I mean. And boy do they have some space in there, it's bigger than an APC. xD

This episode suffers from pacing problems, imo. But I'm don't mind that they rush a bit the beginning since what's interesting is yet to come, although I do fear for the relations between the characters.
Apr 13, 2009 5:02 PM

Jan 2009
zanaikin said:
The armor deflection was nice, although the fact it didn't even scratch the paint made it look far less realistic...
WW2 tanks starting from the T-34 already had deflective armor, it's why lighter German anti-tank weapons had so much trouble with them.

German were ones who made deflective armor in King Tiger 2 but like allies had higher production rates so German not be able to keep up. So Russian not have that kind armor.
Apr 13, 2009 5:24 PM

Jan 2009
Nice episode, I didn't expect Welkin to already be in the army though.

Pretty good action, and WTF the blue tank deflected a missle?
Apr 13, 2009 5:45 PM

Jul 2008
Pretty good episode, i was expecting the tank to get destroyed but wow it just deflected the shell as if it was just a bullet O.O
hmm interesting preview too XD seems like we will be meeting neew characters next episode =D
Apr 13, 2009 5:54 PM

Nov 2007
I'm liking this anime more and more, can't quite explain why I find it interesting but for something based off a game it's great, looking forward to next weeks episode.
Apr 13, 2009 8:42 PM

Aug 2008
I was beginning to fear some strange censorship of the sort, such as "clean" wounds.
Thank god that really wasn't the case; such censorship in a military anime? No that'll just suck for sure.
It seems interesting going in... I hope it stays that way.
Apr 13, 2009 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
Genix said:
I was beginning to fear some strange censorship of the sort, such as "clean" wounds.
Thank god that really wasn't the case; such censorship in a military anime? No that'll just suck for sure.

Yes! I was happy too that blood was red and not colored like in some cases of anime Tales of the Abyss.
Apr 13, 2009 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
the armor on that tank was impressive, the only thing more impressive is it speed and maneuverability.
i'd like to know what welkin was doing at the army base, wearing a uniform no less?!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 13, 2009 10:01 PM

Jan 2009
kage-bunshin said:
the armor on that tank was impressive, the only thing more impressive is it speed and maneuverability.
i'd like to know what welkin was doing at the army base, wearing a uniform no less?!

Maybe he a spy for the Allies? Maybe he got accepted into army.
I think best would be to mass produce that blue tank.
Apr 13, 2009 10:36 PM

Nov 2006
alicia needs to quit wearing that stupid red handkerchief. it makes her look like a hillbilly.
Apr 14, 2009 12:10 AM

Apr 2008
I'm really finding this show enjoyable. I like the main characters and the amount of humor mixed with the more serious aspects of the show is just right.
Apr 14, 2009 12:13 AM

May 2008
lol godlike tank lmao

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 14, 2009 1:05 AM

Oct 2007
IT IS NOT A TANK.
IT IS A... FORMULA-ONE-TANK with a Steering of a bicycle.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 14, 2009 1:35 AM

Feb 2008
It's the fastest tank.
V:

Well, whatever. Nice episode there.
Apr 14, 2009 1:47 AM

Dec 2007
The Edelweiss's speed and maneverability seem closest to the light, fast tanks that popped up in the interwar years, such as the Soviet BT series. That said, the thing is definitely not handling like a tank. It looks cool, but no tank would handle like that, especially that turn. Siva's about right there.
The tank's ability to fire while maneuvering at high speed is also a bit iffy, even at that range. The technology to fire accurately on the move even at moderate speeds didn't appear until the 1970s or so. And this is jerking around more than those with those fancy maneuvers.

As for the design, the Edelweiss is indeed reminiscent of the Panther or Tiger II, but with a relatively larger turret. The regular army's, on the other hand, are most reminiscent of the early Panzer IVs, both in basic design and the short-barreld, but large caliber gun. Imperial tanks bear a superficial resemblance to the French Char b1 and the US M3 Grant/Lee, including several key aspects of both.

@japanme32. History's probably not your strong point, I guess. Sloped armor (deflective is a bit of a misnomer), dates back to at least the 1860s, where it was known to be used on ironclad battleships like the CSS Virginia. In tanks, it appeared int he 1930s.
Now, the Soviet Union was indeed not the first nation to develop tanks with sloped armor (it was the third at best, France was first) nor the first to use it in combat (that distinction goes to the French). However, it was the only nation to produce and employ tanks with sloped armor throughout its entire participation in the war. Claiming the USSR didn't use sloped armor is simply ludicrous, as that is one of the things the Soviet Union is most famous for! Germany did not employ it until 1944, and the sloped armor on the German Panther and Tiger II were a direct response to the effectiveness of its use on the Soviet T-34.
ErwinJAApr 14, 2009 1:51 AM
Apr 14, 2009 2:02 AM

Jan 2009
ErwinJA said:
The Edelweiss's speed and maneverability seem closest to the light, fast tanks that popped up in the interwar years, such as the Soviet BT series. That said, the thing is definitely not handling like a tank. It looks cool, but no tank would handle like that, especially that turn. Siva's about right there.
The tank's ability to fire while maneuvering at high speed is also a bit iffy, even at that range. The technology to fire accurately on the move even at moderate speeds didn't appear until the 1970s or so. And this is jerking around more than those with those fancy maneuvers.

As for the design, the Edelweiss is indeed reminiscent of the Panther or Tiger II, but with a relatively larger turret. The regular army's, on the other hand, are most reminiscent of the early Panzer IVs, both in basic design and the short-barreld, but large caliber gun. Imperial tanks bear a superficial resemblance to the French Char b1 and the US M3 Grant/Lee, including several key aspects of both.

@japanme32. History's probably not your strong point, I guess. Sloped armor (deflective is a bit of a misnomer), dates back to at least the 1860s, where it was known to be used on ironclad battleships like the CSS Virginia. In tanks, it appeared int he 1930s.
Now, the Soviet Union was indeed not the first nation to develop tanks with sloped armor (it was the third at best, France was first) nor the first to use it in combat (that distinction goes to the French). However, it was the only nation to produce and employ tanks with sloped armor throughout its entire participation in the war. Claiming the USSR didn't use sloped armor is simply ludicrous, as that is one of the things the Soviet Union is most famous for! Germany did not employ it until 1944, and the sloped armor on the German Panther and Tiger II were a direct response to the effectiveness of its use on the Soviet T-34.

Indeed and my history is strong but I miss this detail. I guess me must find more time to read things other than anime. I found wiki give decent explanation so if all want they can know now how the armor works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloped_armor
Apr 14, 2009 3:18 AM

Jul 2008
mmhm what country is galia based upon?
possibilities
modern european version of ezo republic from the boshin war
holland, swiss, sweden, norway-mmhm the imperalists seem like the central powers from ww1
finland
kuwait-regoline of whatever is in the anime is like fuel--> natural gas

Apr 14, 2009 3:22 AM

Jan 2009
edwardyyu9f said:
mmhm what country is galia based upon?
possibilities
modern european version of ezo republic from the boshin war
holland, swiss, sweden, norway-mmhm the imperalists seem like the central powers from ww1
finland
kuwait-regoline of whatever is in the anime is like fuel--> natural gas

Me not wonder but assume as France/Russian, more France, confirmed they indeed use sloped armor so possible tank something like Edelweiss existed. Go link it tell you there somewhere.

Sloped armor....omoshiroi (interesting).
Apr 14, 2009 4:30 AM

Jul 2008
Genix said:
Yeah me too, I was actually relieved when I saw that guy get shot. LOL, that came out bad.

But what the hell was up with this episode, it was nowhere near the enjoyment of the last episode, all we got to see was some arrogant and ignorant guy get himself killed.
Apr 14, 2009 4:58 AM

Jan 2009
Good episode, nice bit of action. I like how all the characters are comical but also intelligent.

For example Welkin actually thinking about retreat instead of pride and "bravery" without resources leading to a death trap. I also like that reference to the lions paw and how the characters fight to actually end the conflict and hopefully co-exist.

Edelweiss is cool but I think its rate of turn, speed is clearly excessive although it should be noted it is a prootype, custom built tank (it reminds me of T-72's, the soviet ones had a lead form and different firing mechanisms)

The deflective armour was also kinda neat, its just proofs the imperials tank shells are inadequate although the commander attempting to aim for the tracks was a good idea. Kinda reminds me of the Iraqi war and hwo M1A2 were disabled by close range RPG strikes.

Also yay for lack of censorship in regards to the violence.
Apr 14, 2009 5:40 AM

Jan 2009
of course, i have no complain.
Her eye quite isn't freak, and I could see her so much

Apr 14, 2009 5:53 AM

Jul 2008
Hmmm... not as good as the first one but still liked it.

Apr 14, 2009 6:08 AM
Feb 2009
i just watched ep 2 and finally the story is starting to have a steady pace
im one of those people who hate slow starts but anyways it looks like squad 7 is already going to form next ep so that's good, i like the fast pace :D
Apr 14, 2009 7:20 AM

Jan 2008
ErwinJA said:

You're right they're not, but T-34s still revolutionized tank design and is the earliest designed of the famous WW2 tank series (T-34, Panzer III-IV, Tiger, Sherman). They're the ones who first made sloped armor on tanks famous when German PaK antitank-gun shots started bouncing off them... (going off topic).

But yeah, no tank can be handled like that. Light tanks can reach upwards of 80+ KPH and even old medium tanks can reach into the 50 KPH range, so the speed is not THAT surprising. The turn however made me go wtf... tanks are way too heavy for that, especially any tank with armor integrity to bounce off an armor-piercing shot.

Gallia of the Roman Empire is modern France/Belgium (not to mention the flashy blue uniforms reminds me of French troops). But Ayako's explanation of Gallian military & political policy (I haven't played the game, yet) makes them seem far closer to the Dutch than France, especially that whole poor-country-stuck-in-the-middle approach.
Apr 14, 2009 7:32 AM

Dec 2007
windy said:
alicia needs to quit wearing that stupid red handkerchief. it makes her look like a hillbilly.

Nooo, that's her baker outfit, it's cute :3
Apr 14, 2009 12:19 PM

Feb 2009
I don't know why, but I want to play Valkyria Chronicles again just to see it done right. -_-;;
Apr 14, 2009 1:49 PM

Jul 2008
edelweiss is awesome <3, reflect bullets awesome speed and one hit kills xD

Apr 14, 2009 3:00 PM

Nov 2008
japanme32 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Blue Tank has deflective armor! It looks to have better defense than best Russian tank T-90! With this Alicia's army might win!

that shell didnt penetrate because of its angle it hit the tank's tower or so it seemed. The caliber of those enemy tanks didnt seem very effective ether, so lucky deflect is more accurate to say than it is better than T-90 xD

Well episode was good. I think i watch this series to the end. There was still couple things that were disturbing me.

1) Enemy soldiers didnt value their life. I mean NOT EVEN SOVIET soldier stand middle of street firing from the hip...I think every soldier understand it is best to shoot from cover xD.
2) Seriously...same soldiers using machinegun against tank...uh moshi moshi?? Are they so stupid...didnt anybody teach them WHAT is cover?

and i lol'd when that stupid guy said "only we had same weapons as regulars!"... Hahahaha i think the problem was at he's aiming xD THOSE ENEMY SOLDIER WHERE STANDING MIDDLE OF STREET !

Hahahha but it was good episode neverthelss. I dont need ultimate realism, but i would like if soldiers would use common sense...even in anime xD

PS. Mustangs dream....Women in army uses mini skirts xD NICE
Apr 14, 2009 3:39 PM

Apr 2009
Wasabi said:
Suzie looks so useless.

I was thinking that too...
Apr 14, 2009 4:12 PM

Aug 2008
I don't know anything about tanks. However, the tank busting action on this episode is awesome!

Apr 14, 2009 5:33 PM

Aug 2008
Funny Story:

The T-34 was an American design that was sold to the Soviets and in the end built the, but smaller M3 Shermans.
Apr 14, 2009 6:12 PM

Feb 2009
Well stupidity can kill you to ya know.
Welkin I don't know if he's an airhead, a coward or just plain smart!
I don't know nothing about tank; but can a real tank does that?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 26, 2009

195 by Playcool »»
Feb 13, 2023 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.