Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Jan 20 - 26

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2014 9:29 AM
Aug 2013
RyanSaotome said:
The difference is that KyoAni is a brand, similar to Nintendo. They're not just some anime studio that production committees contract out to do their work like a lot of other studios. People feel loyalty to a brand more. You've seen same kinda thing happening in the video game industry, with Nintendo paying for their mistake by appealing to different audiences and now many of their long time fans have abandoned them.

Even if you were correct (and you're not even close), all this would mean is that KyoAni could simply follow the money and continue to make high-quality shows aimed at women and be just fine.

But it's a good thing they are neither completely dependent upon the immature male otaku you seem to be insisting exist, nor are most fans likely to boycott them for doing what every other anime studio does--make a wide variety of series aimed at a wide variety of audiences.
Jan 29, 2014 9:41 AM
Dec 2010
hpulley said:
So far Chuu2 Ren is good but not as good as season one IMO. The magic isn't there just yet. Hopefully it can match or surpass the first season but that is tough to follow such a good first season. I am not surprised by its presales prediction so far.

Chuu2 S1 in the first place was nothing more than a slightly above average romcom that started strongly but faded once the jokes were repeated and the terrible DORMA kicks in. Much of its sales came from its start rather than the season as a whole, and it was always going to be difficult to capture the "magic" in a new season when it's not like S1 was able to sustain it throughout. S1 had a pretty conclusive ending so I am not sure what the point of a Chuu2 S2 was in the first place, and it seems Kyoani is just milking the cash cow.

In any case I wouldn't read too much into the Chuu2 S2 sales since Japan's buying habits seems to be changing and it's likely they wouldn't commit their money until the last minute looking at what happened in the fall season. Chuu2 S2 was always going to sell less than S1, the only question was how much drop in sales it will be.
Jan 29, 2014 11:13 AM

Feb 2012
Eh.. I think this whole 'Free' backlash thing is blown out of proportion. Haters and/or the vocal minority will always be out in full force voicing their opinions. They will always be the loudest, yet it's the silent majority that doesn't care or even pay attention to them.

Look at how quiet these sales threads are now that Kaoishin is gone ( hopefully for good ). Same concept. I'm sure KyoAni haters in Japan loved the opportunity of using Free to start some conspiracy that has little to no merit.

If the backlash was real I would have expected KyoAni's youtube channel to be bombarded with hate comments and tons of dislikes on their videos, yet all of their chu2koi2 videos are mostly positive, with little dislikes.

As for Nintendo.. the only problem with them is they released the Wii U with no games. Heck, even now you can say it STILL has no games aside from maybe one or two ( that new mario game ).

Had they launched with that recent Mario game and released the new SSB a few months later, the Wii U would be doing great right now.
Jan 29, 2014 12:02 PM

Jun 2012
mistress_kisara said:
Shuhan said:
Is kyoani finished?

Not this again...

I should make another thread.
Jan 29, 2014 6:48 PM
Dec 2010
Kyoani will never be finished, do I need to remind you this?

http://i.imgur.com/Yx5XGkL.jpg
Jan 30, 2014 12:53 AM

Mar 2013
When's the date the Tokyo Ravens BD/DVD is being released?
Jan 30, 2014 1:45 AM

Feb 2013
Now, I'm really, really worried about P.A. Works. How many more flops can they survive.
Jan 30, 2014 3:28 AM

Sep 2012
SalemWitch said:
When's the date the Tokyo Ravens BD/DVD is being released?
The first volume already came out last month/year:
*1,776 *1 Tokyo Ravens [BD] 2013/12/25

The 2nd volume came out yesterday, on the 29th so it won't be in the sales numbers until next week.

----

On another note, NNB v2 is way down on release day so unfortunately I was overly optimistic about its performance based upon pre-release day... too bad.
Jan 30, 2014 7:15 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
hpulley said:
On another note, NNB v2 is way down on release day so unfortunately I was overly optimistic about its performance based upon pre-release day... too bad.

I wouldn't say from #7 to #10 is "way" down, but I'm not surprised the more storefront heavy LitBus is higher today. Looks like Non Non should still do just fine.
Yes, 7-7.5K which is great, just not my dream of a 10K average. Impossible dream perhaps but... A Dreamless Dream is not a Dream...
Jan 30, 2014 8:54 AM

Apr 2010
Yowamushi Pedal held up really well, almost 6k 2nd volume. Wasn't that supposed to be an event ticket anime?

Jan 30, 2014 9:24 AM
May 2013
NagiAsu v1 seems to defy the accepted model/logic/reasoning behind sales. It refuses to go down without a fight...and it's awesome to see something like that. IIRC it appeared to be getting order trolled earlier in the season too. Don't let the trolls get you down NagiAsu!
Jan 30, 2014 10:42 AM

Jun 2012
FiveOVER said:
Now, I'm really, really worried about P.A. Works. How many more flops can they survive.

Hopefully they stop adapting/animating stupid shit.
Jan 30, 2014 11:33 AM
Jul 2013
Besides, the implosion of a studio merely leads to a reconfiguration, provided that their services are distinctive and valuable to the industry. For instance, the spirits of Gainax, Madhouse, and AIC live on through new studios helmed by former managers. One could also argue that the "Gonzo" studios (including the much-maligned CG department that currently dominates as Sanzigen) are stronger than ever, now that they aren't weighed down by debt and infighting.

Studios that truly die are those that have ceased to be relevant (Group TAC, Trans Arts).
Jan 31, 2014 10:34 AM

Apr 2010
Does anyone have the daily rankings for this week?

Feb 1, 2014 4:47 AM
Dec 2013
NagiAsu volume 2 on third place on its first day. Pretty good. 2ch sales thread exploded.
Feb 1, 2014 5:18 AM

Dec 2011
volare1 said:
NagiAsu volume 2 on third place on its first day. Pretty good. 2ch sales thread exploded.

No - in third place on its fourth day.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 1, 2014 5:56 AM
Dec 2013
So why it didn't rank on its release day? Shipping problems?

EDIT: Oh the threshold.

Anyway great daily boost. At least its an oricon boost.
volare1Feb 1, 2014 5:59 AM
Feb 1, 2014 6:06 AM

Dec 2011
I don't think anyone knows why that happened. Sure, the threshold might have been the reason if it appeared at like 18th or so, but not at third. It's got to be some sort of problem with either shipping the product, initial lack of stock, or reporting of data to oricon or anything along those lines.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 1, 2014 6:25 AM
Mar 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
I don't think anyone knows why that happened. Sure, the threshold might have been the reason if it appeared at like 18th or so, but not at third. It's got to be some sort of problem with either shipping the product, initial lack of stock, or reporting of data to oricon or anything along those lines.

Tell me about it. NagiAsu just keeps surprising me.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Feb 1, 2014 7:36 AM
Dec 2013
It couldn't be stock or reporting issues because the official site should put the NEW tag beside the chart and not UP. It must be just a boost.
Feb 1, 2014 8:03 AM

Dec 2011
It wouldn't be a 'new' unless zero copies had been sold previously. Which wouldn't be the case from either of those things.
Feb 2, 2014 2:03 AM
Dec 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
It wouldn't be a 'new' unless zero copies had been sold previously. Which wouldn't be the case from either of those things.

It was UP and not NEW when it first charted yesterday. So it didn't rank on its first day and just had a boost yesterday. I am excited to see its numbers on tuesday.

Anyway it is down to 11th place on the daily chart just now. Kurobas really strong on DVD.
Feb 2, 2014 4:49 AM
Jul 2013
Sakura Trick in the 300s... Awwww...
Feb 2, 2014 5:04 AM

Sep 2012
Xinception said:
Yeah, sucks that it's on a downward trend now... hopefully it perks back up. Right now the Stalker estimate is only around 2.2K BDs and .5K DVDs which may or may not rank depending on the rest of the shows coming out March 19th.

Such a low season overall for pre-order predictions.
Feb 2, 2014 6:02 AM
Mar 2010
Kuroko no Basuke might actually sell 17k or something. It looks like it was severly underestimated by Stalker.

But yeah, slow week for Winter sales.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Feb 2, 2014 7:08 AM
Dec 2010
hpulley said:
Xinception said:
Yeah, sucks that it's on a downward trend now... hopefully it perks back up. Right now the Stalker estimate is only around 2.2K BDs and .5K DVDs which may or may not rank depending on the rest of the shows coming out March 19th.

Seems that otakus have picked Mikakunin de Shinkoukei as the new moe moe slice of life show to flock to, also Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 and Tesagure Encore for their comedy fix. Sakura Trick is going to find it hard to compete against them since you probably won't be madly in love with it unless you are huge into Yuri.
Feb 2, 2014 7:10 AM
Jul 2013
scytheavatar said:
hpulley said:
Xinception said:

Seems that otakus have picked Mikakunin de Shinkoukei as the new moe moe slice of life show to flock to, also Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 and Tesagure Encore for their comedy fix. Sakura Trick is going to find it hard to compete against them since you probably won't be madly in love with it unless you are huge into Yuri.

Love both shows. But cold harsh reality said that only 1 can survive. Seriously, screw choices.
Feb 2, 2014 7:44 AM
Mar 2010
scytheavatar said:

Mikanunin has an event ticket for it's first volume though. Well, Sakura Trick does as well. But Mikanunin's later volumes are also ranking well. Ok, not well enough like KinMosa but it could reach 4.5k.
Feb 2, 2014 8:35 AM

Dec 2007
Speaking of Dogakobo shows that are ranking well, when the GJ-Bu 'Repeat' BD set was solicited I certainly did not expect it to stay in the top 30 for its first 10 days. I know that they're selling it dirt cheap (basically the price of a single volume) but still, for a show with its vol 1 sales under 2.5k (and its initial release was rather cheap as well) I'm surprised and pleased to see it ranking so high. Dogakobo have been the most consistent when it comes to entertaining SoL/gag-comedy shows, so I hope they continue their level of prowess with Mikakunin as they did so great with Yuru Yuri, GJ-bu, and Love Lab.

I'm surprised that Sakura Trick isn't doing better to be honest.
Feb 2, 2014 9:08 AM

Apr 2010
Not really too surprised Sakura Trick isn't doing too well. Its problem is that it just tries too hard... you lose pretty much everything good about yuri if you don't make it subtle and everyone is canon lesbians. Its more enjoyable when its only hinted at and you ship the characters together yourself. Even Yuru Yuri was better then this, it didn't have everyone making out by the first episode.
RyanSaotomeFeb 2, 2014 9:14 AM

Feb 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Apr 2010
To Love ru doesn't have Rito going out of his way to make out with girls every episode. If it was like that probably wouldn't like it either.

Feb 2, 2014 9:49 AM

Apr 2010
Well I dunno, I view yuri as a more pure thing, while when you have a guy involved it'll naturally be more perverted. When you have a girl acting like a hormone filled teen guy and wanting to make out with other girls its a turn off.

Feb 2, 2014 9:54 AM

Aug 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Well I dunno, I view yuri as a more pure thing, while when you have a guy involved it'll naturally be more perverted. When you have a girl acting like a hormone filled teen guy and wanting to make out with other girls its a turn off.

I actually can't believe I'm reading this. All you're doing is just stereotyping. Yuri doesn't have to be 'pure' or whatever. God forbid that in lesbian relationships two girls would want to make out with each other just like a straight relationship! There is obviously no way that girls can be sexually driven, right.
Feb 2, 2014 9:55 AM

Apr 2010
Laciie said:
RyanSaotome said:

I actually can't believe I'm reading this. All you're doing is just stereotyping. Yuri doesn't have to be 'pure' or whatever. God forbid that in lesbian relationships two girls would want to make out with each other just like a straight relationship!

thats fine if you think that, but anime is fantasy. I will like what I like and don't have to worry about it being realistic.

Feb 2, 2014 10:04 AM

Apr 2010
In my opinion, the best kind of yuri is stuff like Fate/Nanoha. They're really good friends and there are certainly strong hints that there is more to it then just being friends, but its not so blatant and obvious that their love turns into fetish material. I would have lost respect for Seven Arcs if they threw in unneeded make out scenes, even if that stuff did happen behind the scenes.

Feb 2, 2014 3:46 PM
Dec 2013
Witchcraft works big boost. Hopefully it stays on 60-100th spot until release. I'm hoping for more Hoozuki pre-orders from niconico as well. Lastly I hope for good storefronts from other title and late boosts. This season need some sales!
Feb 2, 2014 6:10 PM
Jul 2013
volare1 said:
Witchcraft works big boost. Hopefully it stays on 60-100th spot until release. I'm hoping for more Hoozuki pre-orders from niconico as well. Lastly I hope for good storefronts from other title and late boosts. This season need some sales!

Hoozuki has my rootings for this season's top seller. Seriously, Gintama in hell? Why wouldn't you like that?

Also Mikakunin (Mashiro is this season's renge :P), SYD and Sakura Trick.
Feb 2, 2014 7:24 PM

Dec 2007
I hope we get more sales for NagiAsu go go go! And yay for Natsume Yuujinchou high up in stalker (its nearly release date) :D
Feb 2, 2014 10:45 PM
Sep 2012
jmal said:
Log Horizon probably isn't doing as poorly as the ranking might make it look but I'll be really happy if it hits its 3k+1k estimates.

One question regarding Log Horizon: I remember reading something about Log Horizon airing on a govermental-funded Channel. Is that correct and if it is, does that mean, that in this particular case sales are not/not as important as usual for the series and it's success? Or is it just a coinicidence, that has no deeper effects?
Feb 2, 2014 10:55 PM
Dec 2010
Edrahil said:
jmal said:
Log Horizon probably isn't doing as poorly as the ranking might make it look but I'll be really happy if it hits its 3k+1k estimates.

One question regarding Log Horizon: I remember reading something about Log Horizon airing on a govermental-funded Channel. Is that correct and if it is, does that mean, that in this particular case sales are not/not as important as usual for the series and it's success? Or is it just a coinicidence, that has no deeper effects?

It's shown on NHK, which funded 3 seasons of Phi Brain despite them all being sales flop IIRC.
Feb 3, 2014 3:21 AM
Feb 2014
thanks for share the post with us.
Feb 3, 2014 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
Sakura Trick is down to 850#

;_;

scytheavatar said:
Edrahil said:
jmal said:

It's shown on NHK, which funded 3 seasons of Phi Brain despite them all being sales flop IIRC.

And 6 seasons of Major, and 3 seasons of Bakuman, and 2 seasons of Letter Bee.

It kinda gives me hope for a 2nd season of Gaint killing during the world cup.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Feb 3, 2014 7:28 AM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
Edrahil said:

Right, DVD/BD sales don't really matter for Log Horizon, but nobody ever turns down money, so half decent sales would still be cool to see.
i hear the bigger issues is theres going to be some very adult themes and darker imagry/themes the story takes from where season 2 would pick up that may hold back another lh season

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 3, 2014 9:03 AM

Jun 2012
volare1 said:
Witchcraft works big boost. Hopefully it stays on 60-100th spot until release.

58th spot on stalker right now c:

- I only draw freestyle! -
Feb 3, 2014 2:05 PM
Jul 2013
Yay, Sakura Trick is going up again! Well, I'll still keep my fingers crossed.
Feb 3, 2014 2:45 PM

Sep 2012
WCW up to #56, looks like awesome episode #5 may have been a sales turning point for it! Still not sure I can buy it due to some art and animation choices but the music is really good, buying that for sure.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
7 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
9 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
10 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
Today, 9:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.