Forum Settings
Forums

the most surprisingly good anime you've watched

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 23, 2014 7:37 AM

May 2011
Spice and Wolf for me.

This was back when I was limited to very few genre/demographics, so I was going in with a *sigh*. However, Spice and Wolf changed everything for me from that day on.

I've purchased pretty much everything, and I lost count how many times I've re-watched it now. Reading it too in fact.
Jan 23, 2014 7:59 AM

Aug 2013
Madoka. Originally, i thought it would be only a really well written but common and clichéd story with magical girls. But, all of a sudden at the 3rd episode, the world turned upside-down and i was sure that shit was special.
Jan 23, 2014 8:09 AM

May 2012
Gungrave, thought it would be about guns and graves. Turns out I was only partially right. Great show though.
Jan 23, 2014 8:27 AM

Nov 2010
Gomenesai said:
Major.
Currently on the 6th Season, but it has been great so far!
I've always called it of, cus it's a baseball Anime but it turned out to be good.

This. i too found it surprising.
Jan 23, 2014 8:32 AM

Sep 2011
tiger and bunny easily, i remember seeing it in the list for upcoming shows trying to decide what to watch and i saw that in there and immediately said "pffft never gonna watch that show", then my friend kept saying it was seriously the best show of the year so i gave it a shot and what would you know, this really low budget product placement filled show is actually one of the most heart felt, entertaining, touching, and fun shows ive had the privilege of watching with a lovable cast of characters and amazing ability to shift tones between comedy and surprisingly dark drama, of all the shows on my list as a 9/10 id say tiger and bunny is the highest of them all

FMP the second raid, i liked the original fmp its a fun series albeit a flawed one, but it never really felt like it had all that much potential or would really peak past the comedy of fumofu, then the second raid happened and it was just an intense dark and interesting ride that caught me completely off guard, id never have guessed things would get this good from the first season

gintama was more along the lines of its start misleading the viewer, its start made me think this was just a really boring and poor comedy only for a really weird niche audience(which to a certain extent still is) so when the show started being funny i was actually caught off guard, then was caught even more off guard by the variety the series had later on and how it pretty much tried out every genre in existence

martian successor nadesico i was just gonna watch for fun, and in the end thats all ndesico really was but i didnt really realize just how fun it was going to end up being and it quickly becomes one of my favorite shows from the 90's

Shinseiryuu said:
Shinsekai Yori. Initially dropped at episode 1 because it was pretty boring and heard about it having yaoi and yuri and stuff. Eventually picked it back up because of the little hype it got, and I was hooked after episode 3 or 4. Truly one of the best anime I've ever seen that is a surprise considering how slow it started.
for a mystery show shinsekai yori was quite fast paced once things started moving, especially its final arc

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 23, 2014 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
Mr7Beans said:
Shinryaku! Ika Musume.

This. Probably a tie for this and Higurashi. Both have become some of my all time favorites in their respective genres.
Jan 23, 2014 8:50 AM

Aug 2012
AstronomyDomine said:
Madoka. Originally, i thought it would be only a really well written but common and clichéd story with magical girls. But, all of a sudden at the 3rd episode, the world turned upside-down and i was sure that shit was special.

This and also Panty & Stocking. The very first episode got me hooked, especially at that transformation scene.
Jan 23, 2014 9:39 AM

Dec 2013
Another. I watched the first episode and it seemed like it was going to be way too slow and boring for me but i stuck with it and ended up loving everything about it.
Jan 23, 2014 10:37 AM

Oct 2012
Hajime no Ippo. Never heard anything bad about it, I was simply not interested in boxing and I just thought the series is about some muscular guys fighting each other in the boxing ring. But well, now it's one of my favorites, and I wish people would stop avoiding the series for the same reasons as I
Jan 23, 2014 10:39 AM

Nov 2010
AssKetchum said:
Hajime no Ippo. Never heard anything bad about it, I was simply not interested in boxing and I just thought the series is about some muscular guys fighting each other in the boxing ring. But well, now it's one of my favorites, and I wish people would stop avoiding the series for the same reasons as I
Preach it
Jan 23, 2014 12:44 PM

Apr 2010
Thread locked

Thread locked for listing which is against the board rules.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Your favorite furry anime character?

Ex-Aid - 10 hours ago

20 by SgtBateMan »»
54 seconds ago

» What'd I say?

SgtBateMan - 6 hours ago

4 by SgtBateMan »»
5 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - May 12

28 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» This has been the worst 6 weeks of anime I have seen in a long time.

StateofOhayo - 6 hours ago

26 by chemistryhuy »»
13 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

52 by Anjuro »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.